Why do Dark Souls players act like their game series is the pinnacle of difficulty...

Why do Dark Souls players act like their game series is the pinnacle of difficulty, when it reality it's only slightly more difficult than your average AAA moviegame garbage, and offers a lot ways to cheese through the entire game?

Attached: darksoulstrilogy-800x450.jpg (800x450, 79K)

Do they? I thought it was just retard gaming journalists peddling that shit.

Nobody who plays these games thinks that they are difficult, fuck off redditor.

It's relatively popular. You get fuckall gamer cred for saying you beat Megaman and Bass

They aren't UNchallenging though

I think they're the shining example of what average modern game difficulty should be

>________: The Dark Souls of __________

Attached: drew.jpg (480x360, 17K)

Maybe its because there is no option for an easier mode? Also in my opinion 1 and 2 weren't too hard but bloodborne and DS3 were harder cause they were a lot faster paced

I would like to see a single post of someone claiming this. Furthermore, Sekiro is the hardest game in my recent memory.

They're usually the same people who calls a game or genre "autistic" when it's actually difficult.

Only redditors and people who never touched these games pretend that they're difficult.

Das1 is by the far the hardest.

Spotted the summonbaby bragging how hardcore he is
Here’s your (you)

Average soulsfag:
>watches youtube guides on literally everything
>religiously watches some cancerous e-celeb speedrunning the game and abusing every glitch
>knows where literally every single item can be found in the game because he looked it up on the internet
>summons 3 people for each boss fights
>turns around, acts like an elitist cunt and tells others to git gud

Attached: 1516083417921.png (576x699, 194K)

I would argue that title belongs to DeS

>Why do Dark Souls players act like their game series is the pinnacle of difficulty
They do?

Isn't MM & B kinda shit though?

stop projecting

name 5 games harder than souls that are not indie games

They are both by far the easiest. Bosses are one shot by spells, enemies are a joke, there are tons of mash infinites, shields/magic/bows/backstabs are all broken, etc.

Even as a non soulsbourne/sekiro fag id argue that it is top 5 series difficulty for single player 3D games. More importantly it achieves this difficulty relatively fairly. There are a lot of deaths that feel cheap and unavoidable without prior knowledge, and camera related issues, even playing carefully but there are less random out of nowhere oneshot deaths than other “hard” games.

Overall its just a mistake to look for difficulty in a single player experience. Multiplayer titles exist to offer players a much more interesting and dynamic challenge, even if the mechanics and parameneters of the challenge itself sometimes suffer for it. You can always trial and error/muscle memory brute force your way through any scenario in a a single player game.

90% of all games made before the turn of the century

But if we're going with more modern games, Super Monkey Ball 1,2 and Banana Splitz, Catherine, Wipeout HD, Nu-Ninja gaiden, Devil May Cry, KH2 on critical, DKCR and TF, Trackmania Turbo

I can go on for a while

Magic is broken in DeS, that's true, but if you're just doing S&S, idk man, that's a good fucking challenge

>the single player games aren't difficult but multiplayer games are meme

Oh boy here we go

I bet 90% of Fighting game and shooter fags (tourney fags not included) can't even beat the light world in Meat Boy

>friends did exactly this
>Sekiro came out
>sit back and watch as these so called "hardcore gamers" get assblasted and keep saying the game is shit and unfair

Attached: 1507074472433.png (9984x6016, 288K)

There's Yea Forums hardcore and there's normie hardcore

Normie hardcore means they can beat Dark Souls in a month if they try hard enough

It's kinda pathetic

I don't see how they are any different from older games, especially arcade games. It's just about learning enemy placement and safe passage to the next checkpoint.

>that one friend who couldnt even fucking reach the boss without summons

Attached: 1504784601500_2.png (391x427, 291K)

Skill sets aren’t universal. If they invested comparable amounts of practice time that they dumped into whatever they play (a few hundred hours) they could beat it eventually. But if you had to 1v1 a proplayer/ladder topping player in a multiplayer game no amount of gameplay time measurable in thousands of hours would ever let you beat him.

They're fairly challenging (especially on a first playthrough before you 'get it') with mechanics made to heavily punish mistakes, and (aside from online summons) give you no options to cop-out from the difficulty, you either play harder or smarter until you get past it or you can fuck off, which brings the challenge the game has to the front of it. I think when most people talk about how 'hard' it is what they're really trying to say is something like "this game is really great at providing satisfying challenges to overcome and not a lot of other modern games scratch that particular itch"

Oh, well of course, I'm not claiming that my skill in hard Solo games is gonna let me take down Daigo anytime soon

I just don't believe SP/MP have any inherent difficulty over one another, it's all about practice in every case, and it's genre dependent at that

and by genre dependent, I mean you're correct about skill sets (every genre has their piss baby games and their ball busters)

I wouldn't say they're difficult but they also don't treat the player like a child unlike most other modern games

Every game I played out of that list is easier on available standard difficulties. Sekiro is harder than DMD in 4/5 even.

I appreciate you discussing this politely and well. Good change of pace in such a shit thread. I definitely agree with some of what youre saying, my main point (which I honestly should have laid out in the first post) is that the amount of practice required to “git gud” at a multiplayer game is usually inherently higher than the practice required to “hit gud” and a single player game. If someone who was relatively bad at platformers wanted to master super meat boy or dark souls or ninja gaiden to a point where they can beat everything that can probably be accomplished in less than 1k hours, which is realistic if you are willing to dedicate yourself to a game over a course of 1-3 years. If you wanted to get to top the ladder or get to professional level in most multiplayer games youd have to invest easily 5k hours minimum into it or the previous installments in the series to even have a shot. To accomplish this in a games life cycle it usually demands an irregular lifestyle like no full time job. Anyone can go out there and master a single player game. Even a lot of speed runners can hold full time jobs and play as a hobby. Meanwhile it takes some dedicated lifestyle decisions and choices to master a multiplayer game.

It's more difficult than 99% of the games of the past 10 years. I'd say that's reason enough.

>Catherine
look at this guy and laugh

>what is context
I said harder than Dark Souls, not hard.

Attached: WaytoMissmyPointFag.jpg (1724x288, 110K)

You definitely need to make lifestyle changes to go pro at MP games, no denying that, but does that speak to the inherent difficulty of the genre/multiplayer aspect or does it speak more to the fact that there are always going to be a select few players that latch onto a game and play until they're completely untouchable by 99.99% of all players? Or maybe a bit of both?

those stats don't mean shit
platting a game =/= beating it
you have to beat dark souls twice to plat it
you have to beat Catherine 6 times to plat it
all that image shows is that most people aren't going to sit through a game over and over to get a virtual pat on the back

Avg. Est platinum difficulty according to votes on PSTrophies

DaS: 7.5
Catherine: 8

I still don't find either hard, but I still think DaS is the easier of the two.

There's inherent difference in the difficulty between competition with other people and a personal challenge, and I don't think it makes sense to compare the two since one is a static goal and the other is continually pushed to further extremes by others. A few dozen hours in dark souls and you can complete the game no problem. A couple hundred or so and you can do a pretty okay speedrun. But if you want to really grind your way up the leaderboards and gun for that world record you're going to get pretty close to that 5k hour mark by the time you get there. It's still the same singleplayer game, but the aspect of competing against people for the best time brings it into a completely different bracket for the amount of skill and practice required.

I don't think it's a mistake to look for difficulty in a singleplayer game, because challenge and competition are different beasts. Competition includes challenge, of course, but challenge does not have to include competition.

>Competition includes challenge, of course, but challenge does not have to include competition.

Well said, I completely agree. Interesting point about speedrunners competing for times.

Why are you so defensive?

No actual fan on Souls jerks the difficulty off
Only normie niggers who spam PRAISE THE SUN and other shit think ITS HARDCORE AND THEY ARE HARDCORE for playing it

No one who plays them talks about the difficulty, its just people that it was too hard for, and journalists. It is their world building and presentation that makes them so good.

They're not even *particularly* difficult, they just have a steep initial learning curve and a somewhat punishing death system