Can someone tell me the appeal of these games? i have a switch but never played one of these super smash games before

can someone tell me the appeal of these games? i have a switch but never played one of these super smash games before

is it basically just nintendo's tekken series?

Attached: SSBUltimateSWITCHLarge.jpg (500x810, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yRy78baL3tA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a party game & platform fighter. You can play it in different ways. There's not much quite like it so I just recommend you look things up to see if it's for you or not. I don't know many people who particularly dislike it, so you can just give it a try & make up your mind

Attached: DORRYAH.webm (728x408, 2.29M)

Appeal is the roster. Gameplay is fun at first but gets boring fast.

I think there's nothing quite like smash. It's not a traditional fighter at all but still super satisfying to chain attacks by reading opponents

Popular videogame mascots fighting other popular videogame mascots by punching them offscreen.

Is the game really this slow? Ugh pass.

This

Sniff sniff.

Basically fanservice partygame that's kinda fighting game. Gets old pretty fast honestly when played alone, but (local) multiplayer is fun.

> Gets old pretty fast honestly when played alone
Cmon man, the single player content is at least 50 hours long if you want to complete World of Light and all the challenges. No other fighting game has this much content for single player.

World of light is a boring pos. Subspace emissary was better in every way.

For a more casual audience, the appeal should be obvious. It's quite literally one of the biggest crossovers ever, the games are just very well made with a lot of content and options, and the gameplay is exciting and easy to learn .

On a more hardcore level, have you ever played a fighting game? While mechanically rather different, the appeal is quite similar for the core audience. Like with any fighting game, there's an endless sea of depth in frame data, playstyles and so on to explore that means there's always a way for you to improve or learn (before anyone goes off on me here, I'm saying this is a characteristic of fighting games in general, not just specifically Smash).

It manages to be both of these things while also being quite unique in its gameplay concept.

They're all solid games whether you've played them before or not or even played Nintendo games before or not, but obviously you'll appreciate it a little more if you get the references. If it interests you at all, you have no reason to pass on it though IMO.

Attached: 1550072727382.jpg (750x592, 46K)

That's one of the slowest characters in the game.

I dunno, maybe it's just the gameplay loop that doesn't really satisfy me if the experience isn't tied to another guy in the same room I can yell at. I've played the older smash games mostly just with my brothers and friends, and don't have as much time and chances for that now with ultimate.

>get camped out by prick spamming projectiles
>prick spams jump attacks to the point you can't even move
>prick playing heavy character that can only be killed at 200%
Tryhards ruined smash holy fuck

What's the point in playing online if you're not playing to win?

>Projectile spamming
Pick a character with Reflect
>Jump attacks
Just put your shield, and punish
>Characters that don't die until 200%
Unironically, git gud

Spamming pk fire and fire arrows... There's no glory in that shit you just look like a faggot
No one's gonna rematch you

It's a celebration of video games shaped as a platform fighting game

Attached: 4346243753624.png (667x900, 1.42M)

>Decent amount of roster has reflect/counter
>Ultimate was literally designed to reward rush downs more in general
>Most heavyweights are midtier at best
You're just bad user.

Who the fuck cares about glory it's a game for kids

>hard read enemy
>charge my f smash to punish this bitch
>he presses down b
>I die
Tell me how that's balanced

It's basically "lol what if zelda would fight donkey kong" party game.

The people that tryhard online and spam
I just want to have fun team battles but shitty sakuraie doesn't care about my preferred rules

>Person uses move meant to counter attacks to counter your attack
Well, yeah

You bait the counter out and release the attack later, gaylord user

>is it basically just nintendo's tekken series
What the fuck? You don't play video games much, huh?

Ran into the first two the other day. Holy fuck, that Peach destroyed.

It's fun. the cross over aspect? 3rd parties?
it's a popular 2 decade old series. what do you expect?

Attached: Peach vs dk.webm (532x300, 2.94M)

Poor ape

take a shower

Are you retarded?

I’m assuming you’re not even OP and just a shitposter. This would be like assuming all SF characters are as slow as Zangief

Who is ganondorf about to DORIYAH?

Attached: 1515668423686.jpg (409x355, 46K)

He means it doesn't play like Tekken but I can see where the Tekken comparison comes from.

Are you?

OP
These
Especially this

The game has a unique quality of being super accessible to casual players and for party scenarios, which combined with its crossover cast, makes a very popular series. If you have friends to play with, or enjoy competing online (alone or with a local friend co-op) then it’s basically an endless game.

It's ok. He put up a good challenge.

Attached: why.webm (710x400, 2.77M)

Unironically git gud

Attached: Le murder face.jpg (683x1024, 56K)

Inputs are simple, just press a direction and one button. Literally the opposite of Tekken in that regard. It's my preference, I'm not a fan of long inputs so I like shit like SSB and Mortal Kombat.

While I agree with you that people spamming projectiles and shorthop aerials are annoying, you do need to git gud a bit, because they are completely cable to be countered. Nothing like stomping on someone who can’t do anything but that.

>hard read
>you get countered
You were the one who got read, friend

Team battles are my favorite mode by a long shot, and the current matchmaking sucks for it usually. You’ll have consistent results in Battle Arenas, though I’m really hoping they fix Quickplay matchmaking in the new big update coming.

Also, battle arenas can have team damage on so you don’t have to fight teams of spammers shooting through each other

>people use strategies that area easily countered by using your brain
>don't counter it and get butthurt
>lose
have you tried not being a bitch

And still very deep despite being so simple. Everyone may have the same inputs but almost all of them plays differently.

Attached: 1514679174237.jpg (700x600, 85K)

No offensive but you need to learn how to adapt to different players and situations. I completely understand lag can make that annoying as heck at time but you can't blame it for all your failures.

Attached: SSBUWebsitePichu3.jpg (1280x720, 123K)

This is a good point. I like fighting games, and have tried multiple times to play Virtua Fighter out of interest, but I simply don’t care for 20-attack combo lists. SSB appeals to me as it relies more on gut feeling for stringing attacks together, and less on memorization of specific inputs

Fe fi fo fism.
Check that autism

>not understanding the massive appeal of childhood dream matchups like mario vs sonic and link vs cloud

Attached: Mario sonic crash.jpg (2048x1325, 869K)

If you never had friends you wouldn’t know

play smash as what it is too, a party game. it’s more fun that way

>can someone tell me the appeal of these games?
youtu.be/yRy78baL3tA
Every other answer is objectively wrong

A zoomer wouldn’t understand why either of those hypotheticals was a big deal

>tfw I'm the best out of my friends and they just gang up on me in FFA
Fun times

Attached: Happy Puff.jpg (960x720, 151K)

>and less on memorization of specific inputs
Got to admit though. Landing a combo/string you've been practicing offline vs an actual person is the best feeling.

Attached: 1554357146294.jpg (750x1066, 66K)

This was THE commercial of the time.

It's honestly just the most fun game ever in my opinion. Even with items and other jank on I can have a good time with it, as do others, but it's also the most fun game I've ever played on a competitive level, and to spectate for that matter.

Attached: fc86e1c453fae13bfe5afacf4d58d244.jpg (600x850, 50K)

Thanks for making me feel old

I mean it’s useful knowing what moves work together in general to get good, but “true” combos are usually never more than a few hits, and only ever at specific percent ranges. The rest is all game/character familiarity and reading your opponent. It focuses on my favorite aspects of competitive games

>tfw they say "Hey user still has 3 stocks!"

>Mfw friend X complained to me that friend Y always calls out who has the lead

Attached: 8AF8FED2-7568-4469-93C1-5157D66765F3.jpg (600x375, 38K)

>when the boys try to gang up on me

Attached: basedchief.gif (240x184, 838K)

I really enjoy having the lower hand and trying to come back from it. Like teams, when my teammate is out and it becomes 2v1

>Subspace emissary was better in every way.
Fuck no. Smash doesn't do well as a full-on sidescrolling platformer. Plus Brawl (and by extension Subspace) was slow as fuck.

I wish I could play it on portable mode. The handheld experience is awful (ergonomics, joycons suck, wifi sucks). It's the only Switch game not fit for the Switch concept itself.
Great optimization though, I'll give them that.

The only thing I really loved about Subspace was playing with my brother and all the interactions the characters had.

Attached: Scared Louie G.gif (500x281, 997K)

Subspace>WOL
Wol is literally grind the padded game mode the gamemode

People really have nostalgia glasses for Subspace Emissary and forget how long and tedious actually playing it was. The FMVs were cool at the time but that's really about it. Melee's adventure mode grasped what people wanted: fun explorations of the series' worlds, not OC shit

Fun can only be obtained by winning

I feel the same. I normally just uss my Pro controller but at that point I might as well just play docked.

>FMVs were cool at the time but that's really about it
I’m really glad Sakurai learned his lesson after that. Especially in regards to people just watching the videos online. Using some of that budget to make nice reveal trailers is much better, and not a massive waste of resources like SSE was

Yeah. I'm not giving WoL a pass either, since it does tend to be an overlong grind. What they should have done is cut out the overworld and just move between the "dungeons" that are explicit references to specific series, since those were easily the most fun parts of the mode

fun is infinite

Attached: the_masked_infinite__by_nibroc_rock-dbv26ee.png (2500x2500, 2.63M)

>that fucking Street Fighter area

Attached: Mika squatting at incredibly hihg speed.gif (200x200, 13K)

why care to win in a game for kids then

which do you think is the easier game for shitters? mario kart 8 deluxe or super smash bros ultimate? just got a switch and bought mario kart to play with my gf, but she's no match at all for me as she even struggles with beating 50cc

do you think she has a chance with SSB?

That, Castlevania, and the Zelda puzzle were actually really good. They should have just corralled all the spirits into respective worlds and I think it would have been much more fun. Maybe have some world's progression locked behind other worlds so people don't grind them out in one go

Smash might be easier if you have all the items popping up all the time

Attached: Midna wants TP Link in a dress.jpg (788x1482, 364K)

Mario Kart if only because the skill ceiling is rather low and the game does its best to give everyone a shot at winning. Idk though, if she’s struggling in Mario Kart. Maybe something more coop focused instead?

what's the appeal pf anything?

>Maybe something more coop focused instead?
does SSB have coop? like, can i team up with her to beat 2 computer-controlled enemies or something?

You can absolutely do that

No. Tekken is fun.

Smash stop being fun a decade ago.

Tried to play with some friends last night. We played like 45 minutes before getting bored.

They have co-op for Classic Mode too

I still have fun with smash. And I only sort of enjoyed Tekken

Both players are using Ganondorf, who is the fighter with the 4th slowest running speed, 3rd slowest air speed and notable start and end lag on his attacks. His upsides are being the 5th heaviest fighter and also doing extremely powerful damage and knockback with his attacks.

Watch gameplay of fighters such as Sonic, Captain Falcon, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Mewtwo, Cloud, Roy or Chrom if you want to see something much faster.

Smash can suck by yourself, but If you can’t have fun with a group of friends in Smash, you’re absolutely doing something wrong.

Not him but I’m starting to see competent Sonic fighters online now and it’s scary how good he can be with his speed

Attached: 8BB512A3-786D-4C5B-9FC7-CA09D7684332.gif (300x194, 1.72M)

it's true

>play Smash with group of friends
>win until everyone else wants to stop playing
Why am I good ;_;

it's not hard to turn down your skill level.

Just use some character you barely use until you git gud with them too.

Attached: Cute Puff.jpg (226x216, 15K)

It really sucks being casual-good at fighting games
I always kick my friends' asses in smash but up against real tryhards I'm no match
Doomed to either piss everyone off or play with randos

I have enough skill with the game that I can win with basically anyone, it just varies how much fun I have with each character. I usually just pick random and drink until I get worse.
I can't stand playing Ryu and Ken though they feel so sluggish

I'm the same but I tend to sandbag a bit until my friends ask me to get serious again.

Attached: Inkling and Rool.png (811x498, 236K)

Smash has always been the go multiplayer game for my friends and I. Whenever my friends and I host parties we always gather around and take turns 1v1ing each other much to all the girls dismay.

It doesn't play like Tekken or Street Fighter, it's much different. None of those games use the damage % system, and in Smash you win by knocking people off the stage, not getting their HP to zero.

easy to pick up difficult to master....bunch of recognizable characters and makes for a fun and addicting party game...i dont really play it i suck at it though

nonsense. practice and get better

Attached: Stylish Piranha.webm (888x500, 2.96M)

>masking the down b with poison cloud
what the fuck

Attached: 1554671949819.gif (316x193, 115K)

I had a Plant do that to me recently. I'll never let that happen again.

>can go full 1v1 tryhard
>can go FFA items
>playing as Ridley
It's fun.

Attached: rawr_ecks_dee.gif (498x498, 58K)

Nerds love crossovers.

Die nigger

To be fair that's a basic plant strat

Attached: Fog of war.webm (888x500, 2.85M)

Lol poor pleb can’t handle actual fighting game inputs for high IQ characters.
Challenge yourself you mongrel, maybe you’ll learn how to play an actual fighting game

It's a lot of fun with a bunch of friends. Some spergs take it far too seriously though and ruin it for everyone.

I got to elite smash as Ridley in Handheld Mode. It sucks but it's not complete shit.

You can play as K Rool, who is a fat bastard that reverses attacks by sticking out his thicc stomach

You can also literally fucking swallow lightning and as King Dedede and it won't harm you

Also it has Bayonetta and her orgasms

>not picking fox, reversing shit, spamming forward+b to close distance and comboing the fat fucks into oblivionity health then doing a simple smash to eliminate them

user, git gud

It’s even deeper than that now
What if Sonic and Mario fought Cloud and Snake?
Back in the 90’s that was a nuclear tier argument

It is a fighting game and a party game. It supports both competitive 1v1 play and fun-for-everyone group play. All of the charatcers are from other video games so it lets you play out age old questions like "who would win in a fight, mario or sonic" .

Such a cute boy

Its fun to see characters from different games fight eachother. And just like other party games, it gets pretty heated when you play with friends.

It's not the necessarily the best, it's a bit overrated honestly, but there is clearly love and money put into it too.

The game is fun until you get 2 lucas/nest on the same team and then the whole screen is covered in spam. I hate people who pick them it is even more unfun than fighting cloud and corrin all day.

Nani the fuck?
I’ve literally played smash for 6 hours from full charge to 40% while I was on duty with only a few bathroom breaks.
Just get this thing and quit your bitching

Attached: 9891351F-90D2-47E8-AC80-CBB99E3F5789.jpg (750x796, 353K)

Just use someone you suck ass with.
I don’t use Fucking Pac-Man

For casual players, it's a fun party game that's easy to play multiple characters with.
For people with autism, movement. It's essentially a competitive platformer that lets you beat the shit out of people. That's one of the reasons why the phantom pain of meleefaggotry will always exist. For all its problems, melee will never be topped for how many options you have just to move around the stage.

Attached: 1544146504057.jpg (612x612, 149K)

I can do the inputs just fine, it just doesn't feel good. I think it's why I prefer smash over other fighting games, as performing multi-directional inputs for one move just seemed like an arbitrary gating to perform a move. I'm not going to deny that it takes skill to perform them, it just doesn't feel good or fun to have to do that, at least for me. In Smash, almost every input corresponds to an action, and that makes me feel a sense of flow. Every character controls the same, what you need to memorize is how those controls' actions vary from character to character, and that's much more appealing to me than memorizing combo inputs

See

Virtua isnt that hard unless you try to use Akira, three button games like it and DoA are easy to flow it out.

Almost all projectiles can be avoided by jumping. Do people not do aerial approaches?

Various peripherals solve this issue.

Nigga they're just bad characters in a smash game. For Ryu, fireballs can't condition for shit when you can always jump over them or sit on a platform free of consequence. For Ken, pressure doesn't mean shit when corners don't exist. Their biggest problem is that they're really fucking slow, and shimmying is basically impossible when its so easy to immediately dash.

So a win is only a win if they gimp themselves to be as bad as you and win?

>can someone tell me the appeal of these games?
It's a fighting game with Nintendo characters. The appeal should be pretty obvious.

Tbf Smash Online's lag really rewards heavies

Tekkens input is primarily pressing a fucking button with a direction, not QCF's and shit. Do you retards even play fighting games?

It's usually 3v3 fighting games like MvC and DBFZ that require long input strings for combos. 1v1 fighters are usually about getting 2-5 hits in and doing that more than your opponent can

So you're saying we need a sony fighting game with sony characters. That sounds dun

>Considered myself an Olimar main since Brawl
>I am infinitely better with Mewtwo
>Still consider myself an Olimar main
why

All the pros say Olimar is top tier in this game but like
I just don't see it ever

Nintendo already took the cool Sony characters though

>Sony
>Characters
So Nathan Drake vs Joel with Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter as assist trophies

Delet this

Character loyalty transcends common sense and that's completely fine

Attached: 1552899694578.png (801x572, 639K)

Attached: Smash vs psasbr.jpg (580x5673, 453K)

Joker now, too

That's on them, not you. Sad part is Sakurai made Brawl because people like you took the time to be skillful. I hate when any game punishes you like that, and the Wii's multiplayer games loved to shame you for not being a casual.

>ridley
>heavy

He hits like a heavy even though he's the lightest in his "heavy" class.

should be called undertale

In my experience the turbo casuals get bored with Smash fast even if you turn all the items on.
>They don't know the controls and are incapable of learning no matter what you do
>They can't recover
>They don't know how to use the items
>They definitely never learn how to dodge
>They mash buttons which accomplishes even less in Smash than it does in other fighting games
>They can barely tell what's going on in Ultimate in particular due to the additional effects on screen
So with all that they check out pretty early because they don't feel in control of anything. Pick Mario Kart.
>Turn on auto drift so they never fall off and feel like they're driving even if they don't really know the controls
>They quickly figure out the function of items since there's a smaller list of them and their use is immediately apparent just by seeing them once. They don't learn to hold them behind for defense but there's only so much you can ask.
>They can place above CPUs
>It's easier for players who know the game to go easy on them and let them win without looking like they aren't even playing
Smash, despite being casual friendly, still demands that the group knows the controls and other functions in the game in order to have fun. At least with anyone who isn't a little kid.

Retard