Why do "localizers" do this?

Why do "localizers" do this?

Attached: 1504874488721.jpg (1709x388, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xF7qZ7Xqjws
youtube.com/watch?v=5DbeKF026oc
youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9eE-Zp1ao
youtube.com/watch?v=vWNF3l4JH_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7IfOUQlQz-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=zurpawWKB3E
youtu.be/lrINOumUccA
youtube.com/watch?v=KXOCzB35kFY
jisho.org/search/掛ける
jisho.org/search/つく
youtube.com/watch?v=YPlUyyZbnzw
medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=125458
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542831125
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/プラットホーム
bbc.com/pidgin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are subhuman.

Why do they fix shitty Jap writing? Because it makes the game better.

Paid by number of words.

what do the moonerunes say?

Attached: quality translation.png (796x892, 1.34M)

I don't speak nintendo what does the first one say?

Cope

Attached: XsFDz9K.png (621x534, 502K)

Rean...

Rin? I'm guessing another character's name.

holy shit, you fuckers have to be fucking with me
how can they get away with this shit? its not even close

Attached: 1537743003579.jpg (640x480, 38K)

The thing that annoys me worse is when you've got English being used in the original but the localizers change it to something else.
I have working fucking ears. When they use English I can actually understand that!

Attached: 1548395603298.gif (368x498, 3.59M)

Just learn moonrunes bro
You are not a casul, are you?

Why does it bother you?
It's probably better than what the moonrunes say anyways.

Rean. name of the main character

because EOPs love eating shit.
they literally don't care, I'm sure this thread will be full of people defending it.

>wants his teammates to be moaning out the mc's name
woah

Attached: consume the toast.webm (640x360, 1.3M)

was a copywriter part-timer. what this user said

why he looks like a fucking alien?

I'm normally for the most accuracy possible in localization but Trails for the past 4 games has been stuck in self-insert gary stu mecha-fantasy land and I'm so annoyed by it that I can't see it as anything but an improvement. Tell me you legitimately want people having lines consisting of nothing but whispering the MC's big-dick name like they've fallen madly in love with him instead of acting like a normal fucking human being. Tell me that's what you want, because right now I'm siding with the far lesser of two evils.

haha...

Attached: __laura_s_arzeid_and_orie_under_night_in_birth_and_etc_drawn_by_phiphi_au_thon__095b6c19889b0c72f9e9 (1448x800, 133K)

Somehow I knew it. With how many times in weeb shit a character just says
>"[name]..."
After some cheesy copy pasted speech about what they believe in

Faggot...

i want you to be moaning out my name, bitch

Cold Steel is trash

Attached: trns.jpg (585x115, 14K)

kek

Attached: 1550068339363.jpg (644x437, 56K)

my reactionusually is "AH AH I don't care, I'm not the one who's going to be blames for this anyway"

"To spice things up".

give me acontext OP, as far as I know those two are not the same line of dialogue

this It's often the case that some lines get localized in the sentence before or after the line in Japanese in order to make the conversation flow better, especially in games that uses text boxes for each line.

>Coldsteel
lmao

Attached: 1549919319749.webm (960x540, 2.93M)

Disgusting

Over 30 janky animations across 300 hours of dialogue cutscenes!

Localization teams are paid based on the number of changes they make, so it's in their best interest to change as much as possible

Millium dies...

I know someone who works as translator and I know the contract which heavily fines delivering absolute shit as work. Wouldn't this qualify if somebody pointed it out to the company that did the translation. These people mustn't go unpunished.

XSEED were actually given permission and even asked to change some of the basic dialogue by the developers.
Most of the original Japanese lines in this were basically "Haha...", random grunts or "Name..." (They removed like 50% of all of these).

Another example is that in the Japanese version, the flashback intro of the game just has the characters saying "Rean..." over and over again, while in English the flashback intro is just the characters repeating sentences from the previous game that characterize them better.
3:04
youtube.com/watch?v=xF7qZ7Xqjws
3:03
youtube.com/watch?v=5DbeKF026oc

Attached: rean.png (259x224, 16K)

Why do Japs love haha..and [name]... So much? Why cant they think of a more meaningful response?

Jap version: "Rean..."
>Gaius has homosexual feelings towards Rean.
Western version: "Haha!" *says something profound about optimism and friendship*
>Gaius is a cool bro.

I love that these guys disagree with the problematic content so they censor the problematic content so that the guys who make the content can still get money from their problematic content. Basically the guys supporting this censorship still want these companies to profit and benefit and keep on making content they don't agree with. The very act of cleaning up the writing of someone you disagree with is to try and protect them and help them.

Their localization on Trails is bizarre because in most localizers' cases, a change to a game's dialogue would be out of laziness, memes or politics. In xseed's case they just overbloat everything and make the dialogue even more longer than it actually is, it's the opposite of lazy but it's unnecessary. Somebody did the math and found that the average playthrough of the English games can be 3-5 hours longer than the Japanese because xseed replaces one-liners with full-on paragraphs.

Because people actually think like this faggot R*ddit literally loves rewrites and memes out the ass.

Xseed is basically nuWorking Designs but with 0 personality or talent.

>how can they get away with this shit?
They were asked to by Falcom

So they're the same as old Working Designs?

It doesn't matter if the devs allowed it tho. You really think those devs know jack shit about localization? They barely even speak english, the fucking faggots at Xseed probably just said "uhh we'll be changing stuff that doesn't work in english ok?" and the devs said okay. And then Xseed can literally change the entire script if they want, because the devs will never know about it anyway, as they can't understand the finished "product" anyway.

This was at the back of my caveman mind when I first started the Yakuza series, but then someone mentioned that FFXIV's translation is wild in comparison. any confirmation?

Japanese might be the most wishy washy language to exist, so it makes no difference if they use a lot of words or very few to express themselves. At the end of it they won't have said anything meaningful anyways.

reminder
>because it's the right thing to do

Attached: 149814.png (837x170, 21K)

No they aren't, you absolute cretin. They all are salaried workers. The devs who puts the translation back into the game, the person translating the Japanese into broken English, the person going through a spreadsheet line by line rewriting it; all these are going to be salaried workers, or possibly contracted. None of them are getting bonuses for inflating the workload and thus overall cost.

The devs are the ones who put the translation back into the game, so they can compare "Rean..." to the paragraph XSeed invented based on character length alone.

The truth of the matter is that they just don't give a shit, which is pretty hard to argue against when they give the series over to NISA.

Haha, that's our Rean!

Absolutely based. I wish more localisation teams would do this. Or at the least just not rewrite everything to fit their agenda.

The changing of the Stand names in Jojo is hilarious and I'm not sure what the point is. Even with trademarks in place, the characters are blatantly saying the names.

>Dubfags
Normalfags and children. They have the basic excuse of blind ignorance, most of them probably couldn't even locate Japan on a map. These people are definitely retards, but this is more due to inexperience than actual idiocy.

>Subfags
Insufferable ironic weebs. They have managed to cotton on to the basic fact that localisation work is a sham industry that only produces low quality content, but they're too lazy to learn the language. Almost certainly insufferable people to be around, due to their bizarre superiority complex despite consuming identical content to dubfags.

>Japanese speakers
Kings. Anyone who has made it through the hilariously simple path of learning Japanese, especially in the internet age where high quality learning material is available around every corner, has managed to elevate themselves a few orders of magnitude above the petty arguments of sub v dub.

Wait what?

>kore wa...
>What is this?

>kore wa...
>So this is-

>kore wa...
>This is it?

which one is it
make up your mind

there is a special place in hell for translators that do this

Attached: 1501262627835.png (1911x2190, 1013K)

Attached: 1551719653301.png (1366x768, 935K)

The Yakuza localizers are doing two translations essentially. One that's just the original, faithfully translated and the other one is the usual rewritten english script for the english dub.

>Why do Japs love haha..and [name]... So much? Why cant they think of a more meaningful response?
In Falcom's case, it's literally out of laziness. It's no secret to Japanese fans that Trails games Japanese dialogue are really lazy.
One of the main reasons why Falcom can churn out 80+ hour JRPGs back to back (2006, 2007) (2010, 2011), (2013, 2014), (2017, 2018) is because most of the dialogue is filler one-liners, names, laughs and grunts that don't contribute much

Falcom's aware of this, which is why they requested for English and Chinese localizers to replace the filler dialogue with more complete dialogue.

They'll have a sub track that copies the Japanese dialogue more accurately AND a sub track that follows the English dub.

>NISA did this for for Sakura Wars
>it flopped like shit
and thus they never tried again

Attached: Z.jpg (192x263, 15K)

>Japanese VA CLEARLY says something in English
>Subtitles say something different
It's a very little thing but i don't know why it pisses me off every time it occurs.

Attached: 1548378404717.jpg (500x666, 45K)

>Retarded anime gets retarded dub
Fitting.

This makes me more mad than the Prison School one because these SJW cuntholes got COOL's account banned from twitter when she called them out for changing her characters personalities to push their own bullshit views.
She had to make a new account because of it.

Sometimes you have to wonder.

Attached: 1547934098881.jpg (1111x646, 150K)

>plays cheapo chinaman games
>literally shovelled through localisation by the lowest bidder
>GEE WHIZZ GUYS WHY IS THE WRITING SO POOR

never change Yea Forums

Dont be an autist there are many English phrases and words with multiple meanings and you're also assuming that a foreign language is going to have a 1:1 translation for everything when it obviously won't. That being said kore is a word that references proximity to the speaker. When you say kore wa you're saying "this (particle)" if you want to know "which is it" it would just be "this" (in reference to thing that is close to me) localizers need to make things sound more natural based on the context of an entire sentence so all 3 of your examples have their place.

I realize the kind of shit you're referring to, but to be fair, Japs are retarded and often use English words to mean completely different fucking things than what they actually mean

I actually prefer the Eng. script. I hate Japanese trends like that as it contributes nothing meaningful to the script.
>but it's meant to be emotional
There's times and places for this and that isn't it.

Attached: dog_react.gif (197x200, 2.25M)

This gets me a lot in jojos when they clearly say an English name like "gold experience" and pretend English speakers can't hear English so they change the subs

Huh, that's nice.

He doesn't even have the same expression. I call bullshit.

That's because of copyright issues

If we want to shit on English how about pronunciation
The "south" in southern sounds nothing like the word south. This kind of shit is everywhere.

why even play the game if you're okay with fanfiction

Attached: 1539163275662.jpg (876x869, 243K)

Translators have autism. I notice this alot too in subs when characters say the same words but the subtitles come out different every time.

How the fuck are you pronouncing southern? They are phonetically exactly the same, just with -ern at the end.

Even then, they way overdo it. Example, there's a point where Surface is revealed with the card beside it saying Surface, but in subtitles it's called Show-Off. It's kneejerk as fuck

Attached: 1554181427733.gif (475x475, 1015K)

Translators in general should get gassed

Attached: 1554395638378.jpg (2048x1536, 1.41M)

>watching anything other than fansubs
Yikes

>/ˈsʌð(ə)n/
>/saʊθ/
How are you pronouncing these words?

South
S ow th
Southern
Su th ern
I have never heard anyone say it s ow th ern

That's my point first it's actually not a copyright issue it's just crunchyroll pretending. And second if it really was a copyright issue you would have to scrub the voices as well as the subs but they only scrub half of the names. There's no legal ground to pursue them on anyway for providing an accurate subtitle, if the people who owned the copyright wanted to pursue they need to go after the content creator not the distributor and if they wanted to go after the distributor they can right now for not scrubbing the audio.

Anything Japanese, translated, dubbed, or not, is FUCKING SHITE

Attached: 1546281562197.png (1149x913, 86K)

The general idea of whatever is being said is the same. XSeed just paraphrased various characters' conversations cause sometimes a literal translation just doesn't flow well in English.

Attached: NPJH50311_00022.jpg (1920x997, 316K)

French official translators are usually pretty based.

This, plus Jojo's whole thing since the first part has always been that names are related to band names.

Must be a regional thing, everyone I've talked to here in the midwest says sow-thern. Su-thern gives me the impression its a southern accent.

This. They only do it in the subs, not in the visuals or the audio.

Culture gap isn't just about whether or not one would rather see decapitations or nudity, it's about the linguistics too, particularly colloquialism. That sounds obvious if you think about it but then you get people like that don't know the meaning behind those type of speech patterns because well, why would they, they're not japanese and they're obviously someone that doesn't consume japanese media and they question it as if there's something universally "wrong" with the writing.
Localizers will always want to change that so that it matches western colloquialism. Then there are some that think they're hot shit that can write better than the original writer and/or want to include retarded memes and politics

I'm not excusing it mind you, as the biggest issue with this is that it can vastly change a character's personality, sometimes even conflicting with their actions in some way and I just can't agree to that. My point is that there will always be localizers that make such changes, either because they hope people that aren't aware of japanese colloquialisms will play the game or for selfish reasons

Attached: ponder this hypothesis.jpg (600x600, 32K)

literally never in my life heard someone call it sow-thern

I have literally never heard anyone say it like that.

Are you mentally retarded?

Are you?

Yes, you?

>2019
>fansubs
lmao

Haha

>Then there are some that think they're hot shit that can write better than the original writer and/or want to include retarded memes and politics
Yeah, because Japs never engage in memes at all. There totally isn't this one creative writing site that basically dominated the recent otaku market by pushing a genre of light novels with tons of memes and meta-commentary. Nope.

This can't be real.

Same, thanks

western countries have a much higher rate of autism then japan.
austic people are famously have a really hard time to understand the feelings of other people so the loclizers usually spill it out

They didn't ruin the Battle Royal translation and the dragon ball translation was much better iirc.

>bizarre superiority complex
Ironic.

who cares what EOPs are forced to eat, they could look up the guide and install anki right now but they're too fucken lazy

Attached: cd184979.jpg (300x370, 37K)

If you know anything about writing, especially about writing a character through "show, don't tell", reducing something to a general idea comes with risks. Minutea like speech patterns, small phrases, idioms and whatnot can flesh out a character's personality and sometimes localizers get rid of that or even add crap that completely change the idea from what the original writer intended.
Personally I don't believe it's worth it to risk that in exchange of having a "general idea" that matches english speech patterns

there are some false friends for jap, like cunning and gallery

I don't get it... That's the direct translation.

Attached: 1552816636130.jpg (224x225, 5K)

>Minutea like speech patterns, small phrases, idioms and whatnot can flesh out a character's personality
Well, it's a good thing the character in that particular screenshot doesn't really have a strong propensity to stand out with such things!

>play nier replicant with english patch
>know enough spoken jap to realize that the scripts dont fucking match at all
>not literate enough to play unpatched

Attached: 1510915501001.jpg (720x690, 75K)

French VA are often pretty based too.

Ok?
I wasn't defending japanese writing in general, I wasn't putting it on some pedestal believing all japanese writing to be better than western. My post had nothing to do with that.
That was about localizing, why people do it, and that jab I gave was at english localizers want to include their own bullshit politics and retarded memes even when the original japanese line had next to nothing to do with politics or memes

Too be desu dubfags deserve to suffer so I actually find this funny

(character name)... is one of the worst tropes of Japanese writing, I'm glad they decided to write an actual response instead.

Adds more depth to the character.

I'm not defending shitty localization by failed creative writers, but just a reminder that localization is important, because when you go for a direct translation, you get shit like
>"You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown, but you will behave yourself here."

Noice.

can't wait till he's prez

Attached: 1509055308394.jpg (749x834, 217K)

user...

Attached: 1509055342614.jpg (750x788, 155K)

>MERRY CHRISTMASU
>"Happy holidays"
Fucking burgercommies. They must seethe when they can't obfuscate Saint Valentines day during valentine events.

Attached: heavy metal.png (540x718, 382K)

Haha...

because they're dogshit at their job and are only there because they got denied other jobs they wanted.

you realise that in real life, people often are silent right lad? you realise there are times when you straight up have no reply to something someone says.

>MERI KURISUMASU~~
>"I hope you all have a wonderful winter, guys!"

Attached: disgust.jpg (524x336, 56K)

>MERRY CHRISTMASU
>"Happy holidays"
Why the fuck do they do this anyway?

Happens to me any time I play with Japanese audio. It really sucks.

Is there anything sadder than EOPs whining about translation issues? Are YOU going to put up the extra few hundred thousand dollars a year it would cost to hire a competent, respected translator for your weebshit games?

No? You're just going to sit here and whine, complaining about shit that will never change?

>user Japanese audio whenever I have the option available
>still gives me shitty localised subs
Yakuza is the only series safe from this hell

> insert the faggotry western culture during localization
kek

>more words good

Attached: 664.jpg (558x614, 18K)

Even Yakuza is heavily localized despite leaving in honorifics and such

It's really pathetic that you think a slightly less "localised" script is some major boon. Almost as pathetic as you playing games in a language you can't even understand.

>play game with English subtitles and Japanese VA
>character names in the subtitles are still Scottish/Welsh/Irish
>slang and accents in the subtitles are still Scottish/Welsh/Irish
>character in Japanese clearly says something related to Gnosticism
>subtitle brings up some weird Celtic pagan shit
>clearly hear reference to mazinger in Japanese
>english subtitles is just a safe general super robot parody

>character clearly says "moe moe kyun~"
>subtitle says "blushy-crushy"

Attached: xenoblade 2 hana.jpg (2894x4093, 1.43M)

to protect against angry rock stars who somehow find out that an anime spirit is named after them

Nice one

Attached: 1538769522993.png (700x603, 116K)

>EOP
why are you assuming everyone is an amerilard? im esl and english is about as close to my native language as japanese is to english so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Literally kikes. Maybe Muslims, or the hundreds of other religions out there. Jews realized that pushing consumerist culture on other peoples' December 25th is as easy as changing their language to be "inclusive". Avoiding the awkwardness of trying to get people buying bullshit for a holiday they don't celebrate by saying "Hey, it's some kind of holiday, so buy something."
It's labeled as PC culture, so like any other piece of shit, it ends up digging its claws into anything, including shows where they're literally celebrating Christmas.

>Localization
>Translation
>Same thing

Attached: 1488726484437.png (522x477, 300K)

Because they actually can't understand one word Japanese and don't want to get busted and make shit up to make it look legit.
Just check those localizers out, most of them are mentally ill and insecure retards who live in their delusions where they think they know a language and are that intellectual that they can push their own interpretation and moral awkward retardness.

I finished my studies of translation in 2016 (German as the main language), is it worth trying to work for a videogames company as a translator? I don't know how it works and I haven't translated anything ever since, I work now in a hotel.

Attached: 1539917756628.jpg (686x350, 38K)

just play in Japanese you cuck

This will finally end with Judgement.

I barely know any japanese outside of some commonly used phrases but it's still enough for this to ruin games for me. Eternal Sonata comes to mind as an offender for this.

you can always freelance/volunteer in fan translations projects in your spare time until you get a bit of notoriety

>mfw the subtitles in Resident Evil Dead Aim

While "true" EOPs are pathetic, the ESLOP is a rank above, and it's always funny to see ESLs such as yourself act indignant when compared to something that's objectively your superior.

EOPs have the excuse of pure ignorance. They don't know how trivial language acquisition is, they have no experience with it, on some level I can relate.

ESLOPs have no such defence. You know full well how easy it is to learn a language, and yet you're too fucking stupid and lazy to just do it again.

They could atleast make the sub names more reasonable.
>Bruno clearly says “Sticky Fingers”
>”Zipper Man”

Attached: D945F623-911D-4CA2-A6C6-5B036B6A2870.jpg (283x302, 13K)

Attached: 1531731927110.png (744x804, 167K)

>NISA
>localization/translation
>NISA
>flopped hard
>NISA
>NISA
>NISA
>NISA

I seriously wonder why.
Oh why, oh why, did it flopped so hard. thinkingface.pcx

You got any contact info? I'm looking to get my comic book translated into German.

Who/what is the best translator?

Your disgust at EOP's is understandable user, but don't act like a voice line shouting "ROOT BEER FLOAT" while the text says "Ice cream soda!" isn't the most jarring thing.

Yourself, your brain.

Alexander O. Smith is pretty good, along with Jeremy Blaustein

Localizers should be rounded up and shot.
Taking a perfectly fine video game and pushing their own politics in it is fucking cringe

>When your country's culture is so shit that "localizing" media for its values involves gutting it of anything that would offend an audience who wasn't interested in the first place
Just kill us.

For everyone who doesn't get it:

Original:
Mona Lisa, secret smiling face.

"Translation" / "Localization":
Mona Pisa, aggressive screeching face.

Some should shop this and post whenever a thread like this pops up, or spam retards on Twitter with it who defend shit like this.

based

Excuse me, user? Are you having one of those autistic episodes I hear about?

>a fact
>autism

Sad state you are living in, in your Disney dreamland.

>Outdated memes
>fact
>even close to a fucking argument

Attached: 1500501680821.png (640x480, 346K)

I've got no idea what the Mona Lisa/Pisa thing is about, user. Is that some kind of nonsense copy paste macro format? Why would you type it out instead of just making the damn thing yourself?

>>Outdated memes

what did he mean by this

>What did he mean by this
Outdated memes, like that response.

Oh hi NISA, get your shit together before flaming here.

>monelingual amerisharts finally realize translations are garbage

Attached: 1387133197523.jpg (251x190, 7K)

I think you're being too reactionary to the point where you're talking nonsense, user. You need to explain what you're on about.

Related:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9eE-Zp1ao

>NISA explaining how "good" they are with this shit.

Better than playing a game where the script is factually wrong and badly written.

>This shit tastes better because I could read that label that said it was shit!
Fucking retard.

Attached: 1469844251992.png (389x365, 198K)

But japan has the highest rates, followed by the anglo countries

>still the same IP

Looks like we hit the hornets nest.

Wasn't this fixed?

Competent translators go to corporate jobs which will pay literally ten times more than video game ""translations"".

Naturally this means that video game translations are handled by dumbfucks who can barely understand the language.

People like the ones at Xseed are literally just random faggots who are "learning" Japanese and just want to push their OC fanfiction onto real products because they actually wanted to be ""writers"" but don't have the talent for it.

Also This is verifiable just fucking go look up translation rates. It's by word.

>where the script is factually wrong and badly written.
It's going to be badly written either way, we're talking about monkey work. But "factually wrong"? Why? Because they replace an occasional reference you might understand along with the other few hundred you don't?

You are not more in tune with the indomitable Japanese spirit because you know a few stock phrases, buddy. You're the guy eating a jar of shit, telling everyone how much you love the taste, but being incapable of reading the label. At least the guy who can read knows he's eating shit, you're eating shit without realising it.

The patched it improved it, but really fixed, no..

>This is verifiable just fucking go look up translation rates. It's by word.
I thought it's words count of original script, not the translated one.

Falcom's so understaffed you get flyers that say they're hiring when you buy their games.

Exactly this

Normally yes. But there are really dumb companies like this. Also most studios have "translation" monkey which get paid like this.

>its a "Yea Forums is shocked that localization is more than mirror translation word by word from Japanese" episode again
Repeating someone's name is common in Japanese fiction, but sounds dumb and unnatural in English.
The way they handled it on the picture is actually very clever of working around it.
The downside is that you trigger the autists who learned 5 words in Japanese from watching anime subbed, so they notice it's not a mirror translation and they immediately think the localizaton is bad, and it's not them being stupid.

Attached: 1530560515170.jpg (579x525, 54K)

Attached: 1540984785823.png (452x505, 470K)

Translating and editing are two completely different things.

Localizers are tyrants.

Attached: 1536579145851.png (585x575, 106K)

>IP Count
>Having anything to do with this argument

Attached: 1549551470384.jpg (599x657, 163K)

I've always wondered how the fuck Falcom has stayed afloat for literal decades despite literally having zero budget, and on top of that somehow being influential despite their games almost always feeling like a generation behind everybody else even back in the day

Attached: Renne tea.jpg (457x502, 52K)

>The way they handled it on the picture is actually very clever of working around it.

I don't interact with enough people to know that it's awkward to do that...

Attached: 1550832824462.jpg (550x550, 20K)

No it doesn't sound dumb at all. Maybe in your America country. Anywhere else it's nothing special

Salty weebs upset that japanese is a fucking retarded language that's given some actual depth when translated

That's not a teacup, this is a fucking bowl.

>depth
>blatant lies and made up bullshit story with in some cases retarded local political/social agenda shit which only makes sense in the US(if at all) but not the whole rest of the world

You fucking retarded weeb, if it's an English translation, it's going to sound fucking stupid if you do a literal translation because the Japanese language will not grammatically make sense to a English speaker. Fucking weebs all need a bullet

That's bad, but full loco tier is localizers localizing ENGLISH LINES into different english lines. I was watching the fucking Ultraman Netflix show and they localized "All systems green" into "all systems stable" or some such shit because apparently they thought westerners were too fucking stupid to understand green means good.

They pioneered the JRPG genre, and cater to a niche well enough that enough people buy their games to keep them alive.

You're grasping at straws. Most properly done translations are better than the original dialogue. Fuck off weeb because anyone with knowledge of the actual language will tell you how fucked it is grammatically

Not weeb at all, you are just an egocentric who only sees his point of view.

If you make your games with a shoestring budget, you'd be surprised at how much money you can make if they're good

>The Great Depression
>The Big Sad

>this thread
>mostly same person/butthurt localiser justifying shit like this

mega based

Says the fag upset that I don't give two shits about his own. If you're going to have an opinion about translations in a language you aren't a native speaker of, prepare to get shit on

I'm a corporate translator and will vouch for this. Video game translators are a joke amongst us.

>Corporate translation
>Entry level salary is easy $5,000, with experience and expertise can go up to $12,000 depending on size of company
>Translate maybe 10-20 pages a week, split up into multiple documents, a lot of times they're just revisions of the same document so there isn't even that much to do, actual work per day is maybe 1-2 hours max, 3-5 if there's a meeting you have to interpret for (which may be 2-3 times a month)

>Video game translation
>Maybe $2,000 if you're lucky, sometimes they just hire and pay per project meaning not even that
>Translate literally thousands of pages of text by a fixed deadline, working your ass off if you actually translate (hence why most "translations" are actually nonsense rewrites)

Anyone who has the skill to be a real translator will be a corporate translator. Game translators are N5 fansubbers who barely understand the language.

How hard it must be to comprehend that not everyone is a retarded weeb like you

So... Am I the only one who thinks OP took two DIFFERENT parts of the conversation, rather than the same one?
Because that sure as fuck is easy. And the fact that the two screens actually show different facial expression on the speaking character make that far more likely than a complete fuck up of the translation.

Seriously, you fucknuggets. Do you really lack the most basic capacity to see when you are being bamboozled?

Crash -> Crush is the only good censoring done in the GW anime

It isn't.

The Zero Escape games have a good translation though.

Are you telling me the translator also reprogrammed and reanimated the fucking game as well, huh?
Sounds fucking legit.

These threads are a common occurrence on Yea Forums and largely made up of weeb whiners with no actual knowledge of japanese butthurt that a translation isn't a literal word for word copy because somehow it "violates" the writer's vision. Somehow, making dialogue actually comprehensible is a "violation"

Falcom has mastered being cheap.
>constantly use the same setting for many of their Kiseki games, only have to model new dungeons or areas
>use the same engines for sometimes a decade, even across different game series
>reuses assets constantly
>their games usually share the same artstyle and designs each generation
>fills their dialogue with useless laughs and name...s to pad out their games
>strings people along for their money by making them play 9+ soap opera-tier JRPGs with no satisfactory conclusion
>graphics are serviceable but never good
>constantly shit out Ys 1 & 2 remasters
>never have to try to be funny since most humour is just copy-pasted 2ch and 2chan memes
>despite being fun, games are usually simple and barebones mechanically
Using this business model Falcom can churn out games forever.

Attached: 1445761138337.jpg (550x713, 205K)

How bad will NISA fuck up Cold Steel 3?

Will you buy Rean's two games again for 80 dollaridoos?

Not to mention
>constantly break up their games into two parts to make people buy two fully priced games that were originally meant to be 1
(Ys 1&2, Sora FC&SC, Crossbell duology, CS1&2, CS3&4)

>playing jarpigs

Ah yes, the pinnacle of nip literature, a character's name followed by ellipses

Crossbell games were never meant to be one. Others apply though

This.
Just because localizers are presenting the dialogue in comprehensible English, it means to these retarded weebs on Yea Forums that localizares are actually writing literal fanfics and pushing political agenda, and doing this to up the word count so they get paid more, and who knows what else nonsensical conspiracy theories.

IT'S CALLED FUCKING LOCALIZATION, NOT "LITERAL TRANSLATION"

IF YOU WANT THE LITERAL TRANSLATION THEN FUCKING LEARN JAPANESE

IT DOESN'T EXCUSE PUTTING MEMES INTO THE GAME BUT THE ENTIRE POINT OF LOCALIZATION IS MAKING THE GAME SOUND NATURAL AND CORRECT FOR A DIFFERENT CULTURE

eat your hamburgers, apollo

Because the quality of VAs they have to work with is poor and the tone and meaning present in the original might not translate well.

Don't bother, people on Yea Forums will never understand this.
The fact that similar threads pop up from time to time and it's always the same conversation with no results is proof of that.

Amazing how they do all that and still make better RPGs than most companies today still

He will be censored one day

wow you sure are special user, I can't believe you've figured this out all by yourself!

But he IS the one handling the censoring.

Attached: file.png (1000x1100, 1.49M)

>Marry Kurismasu!
>Subs: Eid Mubarak!

Attached: 1554840773157.jpg (500x514, 27K)

Says a lot about Falcom when even Sen, which is shitty for Kiseki standards, is still high-tier for general current gen JRPG standards.

It was a joke but never mind. I will be closing this tab now.

Based Falcom. Doing what must be done in order to ensure the survival of the Ys series.

Attached: adol_pasta.png (1000x1000, 205K)

Localising it for weebs, who in the main would like their games as close to the original as possible.

>we have the take, Mr Zuckerberg sir
>finally
>pukes out toast
>takes out alien eggs out of the fridge
>thats more like it

>Falcom has mastered being cheap.
>>constantly use the same setting for many of their Kiseki games, only have to model new dungeons or areas
Do you even know how this works?

Seriously, get a life.

But that isn't the problem. A lot of western translations of Japanese works actually are fucking awful.
The problem is that the screenshot is a LIE. It compares two different moments of the conversation.
The problem here is that people are so DESPERATE to fucking have something to bitch about that they literally do not care if it is real.

>Competent translators go to corporate jobs which will pay literally ten times more than video game ""translations"".
Yeah, another translator user here. It's not only limited to video games either. Audio-visual or book translators of even not pop-culture media get shitty rates as well compared to anyone translating non-fiction apart from really special cases, because non-fiction texts have a much a higher demand, and in case of specialized fields like legal, medical or other technical translations require not only language skills but in-depth knowledge of the subject matter as well. If you have a regular client they also want to hire the same trusted and skilled translator again since they're already familiar with the company's localization workflow and the specifics of their products and services, so it makes sense for them to pay top rates.

This means video game and other "easy" or otherwise lower demand translation projects get shelved to poorly paid interns or worse, "enthusiastic" morons who insert their own shit for fun. Consumers are also partly to blame, because most obviously won't be able to judge the quality of the localizations due to simply not knowing the language, or a shoddy translation is the only way to experience the piece of media in question, meaning they don't really have a choice in the matter. No reason for companies to invest in higher quality translations if their customers will eat that shit regardless. Similar trend can be seen in interpreting field to lesser extent, as skilled interpreters want to switch from public service interpreting to greener pastures like conference or business interpreting.

Your kind of sour grapes morons are the reason why localizations will forever be shit.
People with no knowledge of the language whatsoever always overstate how Japanese is supposedly "untranslatable" and how it justifies the translator writing whatever the hell they want.

It's funny how virgins say this and think it actually is an argument

Way to out yourself as an anime only fag. The OVA and video games got hit with this, too, and even the latest game, Eyes of Heaven, came out before Parts 4-8 got localized.

Then they still no weebs enough. Seriously with today polical climate in western gaming. If you are really into Jap pop culture much better for learn Japanese than rely to western faggot comifornia localization company.
Imagine if at least 50% of western weebs learn Japanese, a lot of that faggots will go under

Before Parts 4-8 got animated*

Interesting. I never really knew about the in depths of translation work.

it can't be helped

Did I touch a sore spot? I don't see your argument either, you got the same quality of reply as you have given.

UP DA DUBS

I never said any such thing, my gripe is with retards who think all translations should be word for word, unaware how fucked japanese is grammatically and what it would mean for an English localization. I'm not a fluent speaker of moon runes but I do know hiragana, katakana, and a good chunk of kanji and nip grammar and what most retards in these threads whine for is fucking stupid. A good localization takes captures the spirit of native language and makes it accessible. Not a fucking mush of transliteration that looks fucking terrible to both languages

I know nip and would still prefer an english localization. Not everyone is a weeb like you

Attached: sao-a5386.jpg (1271x720, 120K)

Did everybody clap after that too? You also forgot to include Albert Einstein in the story.

I'm not the same user, just find it funny how fags use "have sex" like it actually means anything in context

To dab on those too retarded to learn Japanese.
It's not difficult though.

Then for now you must cope with this shit localization (as much as I hate it).

>always overstate how Japanese is supposedly "untranslatable" and how it justifies the translator writing whatever the hell they want.

Very true!
Almost the exact same said an actual Japanese to me, which cringed hard about some translation of a non-game he saw (i think it was a small short story book), and made fun about that dumb translation with made up words and complete "localised" nonsense and after he translated it in a few minutes in perfect sane english how it would be translated. In the end luckily his free translation was used and the paid one from the "professional" american translator was thrown away.

Not being the same user doesn't excuse you from being a moron for not being able to read the previous comment and put 2 + 2 together.

they literally changed the writing on the interior of the plane in the notorious b.i.g. episode to say what crunchyshit was subbing it as

Crossbell being one game would be ridiculous

The Trails localization is one of the best out there. Actual bad localizations would be along the lines of Final Fantasy VII or Us VIII. As I said before, not everyone is a weeb like you, I don't expect a word for word translation, that's fucking stupid

ecks dee

Attached: DZCAISyUMAEGADl.jpg (510x680, 60K)

you mean why xseed does it? because they are pretentious hacks.
modulation is the technique is the worst way to handle translation, only useful when you have absolutely no other choice and that usually includes some kind of proverb or idiom native to the language, nothing else.

std

Because translators know EOPs will eat up anything they shit out so they might as well pad the text with filler to earn a higher salary.

rates are per original word
translation isn't paid by output basis.

>enjoying being molested by a black man
Always knew she was a slut

Just learn japanese already if you care so much.

Have sex is just the new Yikes or No u, it's only to make people angry, or better yet, make them think Yea Forums is being invaded

It is copyright. Why do you think they changed the names in the games too? Retard

youtube.com/watch?v=vWNF3l4JH_Y

This entire scene

>fails his English test
>chick tests his Japanese

Japanese games are getting censored at the source

Attached: 1491135959376.png (585x575, 123K)

nope, sorry, since I finished my studies I haven't been involved at all in the world of translation

This is a thread about western releases and text changes.

Attached: 1475479322865.png (491x491, 284K)

t. same person/butthurt localiser justifying shit like this

Attached: YAKUZA-KIWAMI-2_20180813195912.jpg (1920x1080, 336K)

Literally didn't bother me

This is not a same line you fucker

hahaha what?

That has nothing to do with text

heh.

t. Asspained weeb that his precious japanese is being made comprehensible to other people

youtube.com/watch?v=7IfOUQlQz-Y

I don't expect word on words translation with the localization, just please do not insert any of your western political message bullshit inside it.
If you not bothered with the recent trends of adding western "virtual signaling" element on localization, well just go on.
Cannot wait to see Catherine full body localization version.

youtube.com/watch?v=zurpawWKB3E

>They pioneered the JRPG genre
Wrong.

Attached: 1544567776881.png (282x347, 60K)

youtu.be/lrINOumUccA

>doesn't even deny it
How much are they paying you cuck? Have sex

remember when dub where cheesy?

youtube.com/watch?v=KXOCzB35kFY

>I notice this alot too in subs when characters say the same words but the subtitles come out different every time.

GEE, I WONDER WHY THAT MIGHT BE. MAYBE BECAUSE JAPANESE IS A VERY CONTEXT HEAVY LANGUAGE???

jisho.org/search/掛ける

MAYBE BECAUSE THERE'S ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF SYLLABLES IN THE JAPANESE LANGUAGE, SO A FUCKTON OF WORDS SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME?

jisho.org/search/つく

TRANSLATORS DON'T HAVE AUTISM (besides the autism it takes to actually want to learn this fucking language), THE FUCKING LANGUAGE ITSELF IS AUTISM INCARNATE.

Its a lot better than the poor attempts at Japanese humor.

>EHHHHHHH?
>KYAAAAA BAKA HENTAI

COOL should revoke the license right.

You're projecting you pathetic weeb. Learn fucking nip and fucking import you retarded japanophile and keep your autism to yourself

user.... they pioneered action jrpg.

There's like seven different symbols for the sound "shit" alone. Japanese is a fucked language, no wonder nips kill themselves so often

kek

>Be me
>Studying translation
>In localization class they teach us it's literally impossible to maintain integrity all the time
>Mostly because translations tend to be longer than original language text
>And games usually have hardcoded limits on the number of character that can be shown at once without breaking
>So you literally have to get creative with it or ask companies to mess with the code, which they usually refuse to do
I'm not defending translations that change stuff needlessly, but people simply ask for impossible stuff. They also shit on it whenever they change cultural details when that's literally what localization is all about.

Reminder that his image is too graphic to be viewed in the west

Attached: 1529493980417.jpg (1200x675, 97K)

>people itt complain about this
>but the XB2 localization is good
?

>taking people on twitter seriously

Attached: Dragon ball.png (579x126, 17K)

You can't translate japanese and english one to one. Or you end up with sentences like:
It can't be helped...
We'll do our best too!
We'll have to use .... that.
Even if you say that..

And other stiff shitty dialogue.

>>And games usually have hardcoded limits on the number of character that can be shown at once without breaking

Maybe in fucking 1994. What the fuck kind of software do they think people use today?

That doesn't apply to OP's image at all, though. Left box just says "Rean...". So unless this is being taken out of context and there's actually another box shows up afterwards, it's complete bullshit.

No need to be upset, it’s no just a Japanese thing anyways. In English I could say “You rock”, “Rock the boat”, or “Look at that rock”. Same word, 3 very different meanings.

More detail would be neat

>You just can't translate it literally! Japanese is just too strange!
>OK, just don't insert anything new to it and try to get as close as possible while making it sound natural.
>NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO TRANSLATE! YOU JUST WANT A SHITTY LITERAL TRANSLATION!

>At this rate...

Attached: 1549811771492.jpg (720x960, 31K)

Why the fuck is the microwave about dick high?

You are giving programmers too much credit. They will always look to cut corners whenever possible. If a game didn't have different languages in minds since the start, the eventual translation will probably break something along the way.

I'm actually not against making a translation more flowery to an extent but

In literature there are so many panels I've dropped by when it comes to localizing books and what's okay to change and what's not and how you do a translation without it ending dry and things like dealing with translation when it comes to unique writing styles and how to more accurately convey that style in another language while keeping it's erratic patterns.

>but people simply ask for impossible stuff.
They don't. They ask for the bare minimum to be considered good. LUCT takes tons of liberties with the relocalization of the psp game and it's generally accepted by most people except for the justifiable upset ones who are upset about the renaming of the cast but at the wrong people as Matsuno was directly response for renaming some of the cast.

Muramasa is a better example
>hard limits on text size
>original localization team has the entire story in tact
>the psp retranslation is more flowery and the Japanese team found the changes were actually better.

Than you have shit like FE
>Removed references
>change entire dialogues for shitty jokes
>Completely recharacterize characters
>"localize" jokes by filling them with meme and adding them where they don't belong.

LUCT and Muramasa style of localization is great. Fire Emblem style is dogshit. Nobody wants that. And nobody should settle for that.

>be """"""translator""""""
>can't even reword basic shit so it flows properly without adding your own autism
This is why you are stuck in this garbage sector

zucc posting was the best thing ever

Attached: edc.jpg (1030x1420, 246K)

Those aren't the same dialog box.

One thing I truly love about Kung Fu Hustle is that one line of dialogue in English doesn't have subtitles.

Have you ever learned a foreign language, you numbskull?

Attached: 1554611201097.gif (450x272, 3.92M)

I'm not a translator. I'm just not retarded. They shouldn't add a ton of their own shit. But it's super rare in English to make an entire sentence out of someone's name. When was the last time you heard that shit?

Thanks, user. I work as a French translator for a video game company.

Attached: 1554094772630.jpg (600x800, 67K)

>この力...すごい!
>AYO CHECK IT OUT BROS THIS FUCKING POWER IS FUCKING POWERFUL AS SHIT MY MAN FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Based

That unironically sounds like the type of shit they pulled in Rebirth 2.
Can you imagine

>hundreds of games are completely untranslated
>you release a game in english that's so bad that the community collectively comes together to retranslate almost all of it
Somebody should have made a formal apology for that garbage.

I was thinking about the Persona 5 "translation", but ok.

There's a large middle ground.
If you want a game full of:

user.......

WHAT THE!?

He's fast!!!

etc that's on you.

Ah, alright.

>Niggastream

Attached: e680d5cde8c084803750752370a38b5ef4dbaeae4de8fd82e28ac98b5710461f.jpg (1208x4317, 1.14M)

Oh. I actually have no feelings about Persona 5's retranslation. I'm not sure if they fixed it in a patch. But when you beat the twins, at the ass end when Lavenza is proclaiming how great you are and the localized voicework is different from the in game displayed text. That was kind of like the icing on top of a shit cake.

Wasn't the Jap dialogue in Neptunia so dry that the localizers were doing most of the work to make it interesting?
Wasn't it pretty dry?

Ayo the new Sakura gangwarz is looking p fucking dope

You do realize that Falcom's been making RPGs (Turnbased and actionbased) years before Dragon Quest, right? Dragon Slayer 2 was one of the most important JRPGs of the 80s and predates Dragon Quest.

Those all sound totally normal.

Reminder that Japanese is the most Laconic language and you bird brained feminine chatty katty gaijins can go blab angrily about it all day.

>Wasn't the Jap dialogue in Neptunia so dry that the localizers were doing most of the work to make it interesting?
their idea of "interesting" was awful. They injected shitty jokes into almost all of the interactions. Even the very few scenes that are supposed to be taken seriously.

The problem is always changes made in an echo chamber. Where you're reaffirmed by other people who are going to agree with you no matter what and so you change too much as opposed to too little and create something that's actively hard to play through.

What's your point?

You've spent too much time with japanese media dude. How many times have you heard any of those irl?

Read the first 8 words of my post again, retard.

I go back and forth on localization

I want an accurate translation, but at the same time, I bet nobody would remember games like Lunar if they didn't embellish things

on the other hand, sometimes they take it too far

Attached: 1520552463642.jpg (637x478, 60K)

The series took off with that localization so apparently the only one upset about it is you

I feel like most "translators" just make changes to justify their paycheck.

Laconic is not a good thing. Language should be precise, japanese is too contextual.

>the only one upset is you
Yes and the community that created the retranslation patch. And the hundreds of thousands of downloads of said patches.

You sure showed me.

Game?

They did literal translation out the ass and it made for some shitty dialogue. Shido's speech was awkward as fuck and the whole thing with Goro on the Yacht was cringe

>Character says Last name First name
>Subtitles reads First name Last name

Japs can't write good dialogue. It may as well be deviantart when that country is involved.

lmao what the fuck?

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 19K)

In jojo part 4 in the dub they localize the insults to things like fugly assface, and I find it very funny and enjoyable

Because that's how we do it in the West retard.

EOPs are too retarded to understand Lastname Firstname.

Rean...

? Why should to even entertain their way, our way is correct or they would run the world instead of us.

More like there's a reason only retarded Hungardians go Lastname Firstname.

>I can fix this

Attached: 1531134966777.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

>character says her name is Vampy
>changed to Vania
>Shirou changed to Nicholas
>Sarasa to Threo
>Quatre changed to Feower
>Six changed to Seox
>Siete changed to Seofon
>Octo to Eahta
Yikes!

You don't understand how greedy music companies are, and I mean if it weren't for them we wouldn't have gems like "filthy acts at a reasonable price"

>you realise that in real life, people often are silent right lad?
Localizers got you covered bro.

Attached: untitled.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

Jesus fucking Christ... why

Attached: 1517612997731.png (793x520, 894K)

Based. Dubfags deserve the worst possible shit.

ITT: EOPS BTFO T B H

Attached: 1548917365055.gif (384x216, 1.67M)

>language should be precise
>Japanese is too contextual

Pick one and only one, brainlet. More words=better description. Synthesis with context=Efficient heuristic to do more with less.

*more words =/= better description

Nah, overly contextual leaves too much room for misunderstandings. English is king. We might as well get just rid of other languages.

>Laconic is not a good thing
Are you able to go a whole day without speaking I wonder? I bet you’re the type that doesn’t shut up.

dude...
see what I did there you stupid fuck?
I'm ESL btw so step up billy boy

Once in a while. And no I speak when I have something important to say. Laconic is not an inherently positive thing.
It shows.

>not changed to Claudia

Misunderstandings are a problem for brainlets that are blind to context. Some folks like to aspire to higher qualities, and not to appease the lowest common denominators. King of the retards, congrats.

Laconic for laconic's sake is not a positive. Spartans were praised for their few words only because they were working with a language that allowed many.

"It can't be helped" is a pretty normal thing to say in the UK.

>tfw if I started learning japanese 2 years ago when I said I would, I would be pretty fluent in the language by now
>still procrastinating
I'm beyond saving.

It’s always a positive thing. Sorry bout it lispy faggot.

This. It's true of any language, with the exception of those artificially designed languages that nobody actually speaks.

Maybe localization is often so shitty because 'localizer' isn't a valued profession.

When you want to port your game overseas are you going to spend a lot of time and resources assembling the highest quality translation team you can or are you just going to shove it onto whatever studio will make it fastest and cheapest?

I don't think many productions value the localization of a game highly in comparison to other aspects. Certainly not enough to delay release substantially in order to get the writing the best it could be.

Contextual languages are garbage much like any language with gendered nouns.
Being afraid to speak doesn't make you cool you social retard.
Yeah once in a while, not every 5th sentence like in shitty translations.

>Character refers to Person A and Person B
>Subtitles reads Person B and Person A
Of course, that's also with the last and first name swapped.

No that’s retarded. Not only are you wrong about Laconicism but you also don’t know shit about Japanese. Japanese as a language isn’t restrictive at all. In fact there are more ways to call one thing in Japanese than in English, and they even have three different alphabets. It is a cultural thing to use it sparsely and to use it in a sharp and intelligent manner.

Japanese is inherently more abrupt than English. Translated literally, it's basically hulk speak. Everything is based on context.

are they translating sakura wars? it woudn't be right without them.

Attached: 1545607253509.jpg (609x678, 52K)

Implying I give a shit about blabbermouth opinions

I swear these are the only threads these days where the real weeaboos come out of the woodwork in force.

You don't give a shit about much or you'd be worth talking to.

Look up the Funi reviews on Glassdoor and ignore the obvious fake positive ones. It gives a good window into how terrible the localisation industry is.

They're all N1 students who failed to get into law firms or real Japanese businesses. They hate their jobs, they hate anime and they hate you.

Attached: 1522833199543.gif (384x372, 2.83M)

Try making sense next time, tongue whore.

I understand that they may sound unusual to someone who speaks English as a second language, but those are all common phrases which native English speakers use a lot. The exception is "we'll have to use... that" which could easily be adjusted into something more natural sounding.

>because 'localizer' isn't a valued profession.
Videogame localizer for a niche company isn't sure. But the actual talented individuals translate both games and books whereas hacks are stuck at some shitty company translating kusoge

yeah because being native speaker of a language entitles only you to decide what sounds right or wrong. fucking american centralists, speaking shit english for years and cant even handle their and theyre correctly but MUH NATIVE TONGUE

I'm English first language dude. And no they're not. When was the last time you heard any of those in real life. MAYBE once every 6 months I hear one of those.
You don't matter so no one wants to hear you speak so you learned to stop speaking.

I like how not only are you still talking to me, but your posts are getting longer and longer.

aren't they also owned by Mormons

Nobody is saying be literal. They are saying not to do this or or this fucking shit

It's not hard. We don't have to teter between hard to understand because it's dry and so fucking shit that it's not even close to indicative of the original intent. like god damn.

Maybe it's because I'm an ESL but I've never had a problem with written language not sounding like spoken language, as long as it flows and reads smoothly I don't give a shit if it isn't how people speak in real life. This shit is also a problem with books written in english so I don't know why this matters so much to you.

>but those are all common phrases which native English speakers use a lot
Not in form and frequency found in anime. Certain circles will use them more than others, but those are basically janky catch phrases in anime.

what game is pic?

>I don't give a shit if it isn't how people speak in real life
Good for you, but people typically don't want to read/listen to that unless it's a gimmick or a period drama.

Yeah, FE localization is bad

>Like Japanese games
>See thread like this
>Remember that I'm supposed to not like Japanese games
>Go back to playing western trash
There's no winning.

People like to hear me speak what can I say. I hope you appreciate this favour I'm doing you.

Intonation and context matters. It just consists of word "this" and topic particle, essentially
>"(concerning) this..."
So you could spin it into pretty much anything depending on what the speaker is obviously going to follow it with. I mean you can say "Watashi wa sushi desu" which literally just means "(concerning) me, sushi". Obviously you would likely translate it as something sensible like "I'll have sushi" but depending on context it may as well be something ridiculous like "I am sushi" if the preceding question was "Who are you?" Regardless, stuff like this beginner level shit and hardly requires replacing them with memes.

From the top of my head some truly untranslatable Japanese elements are honorifics and pronouns or the writing system, especially if the characters actually discuss them in game and I bet those are the bane of every localizer, though a skillful one should be able to somehow tie those sort of things to character's overall speech style or nearest target language equivalent elements rather than replacing shit with something completely irrelevant. As with any audio-visual media, this can get very grating if the consumer of the localization has even basic level knowledge of these things and see that the text in no way matches what's being said, but this translation limitation exists in all media with text and audio. Same localization process happens in media without audio as well, the reader just won't notice it unless there's very heavy source language interference where the translator obviously retained source's grammatical elements without reworking it to natural target language after raw translation.

Though as has been mentioned many times in the thread already the proportion of "untranslatable" segments are almost always blown way out of the proportion and the completely differing shit is often there because the translator was a complete lunatic who didn't even attempt to be faithful to the source material. (cont. autism)

Kiwami 2 is a completely different english script, but they chose to keep in this masterpiece

>Too be desu

Attached: 1532092368139.png (518x421, 308K)

>japanese language bragging thread #34235286
>can't find any jap language DoD1 videos to get these wannabe translator nerds to see how much they toned down Drakengard's script
Well I came to post a Drakengard link so I'm going to do that even if it's in English.
youtube.com/watch?v=YPlUyyZbnzw

Magic Knight Rayearth on the Saturn

Attached: 1501125514024.jpg (637x478, 70K)

But that stiff shit doesn't flow smoothly, that's the problem. I don't care about realism, I care about it sounding like something a competent English speaker would write.

I can understand: you ams not do think good
That doesn't make it a competent sentence.

>>character says her name is Vampy
>>changed to Vania
The most hilarious part is they later added a character literally called Vania

Some stuff that I find acceptable, if rough
>Nier Automata: 9S using -san honorific to 2B while the latter responds that it's not needed. In English it's switched to "ma'am", quite rough but the translator's intention is clear.
>DRV3: Tenko's 男子 kanji pun where she says the normal word for "boy", but the second kanji is changed to "death" with 男死 = "male + death". Changed to "degenerate male". Again, translator tried to rework an actually untranslatable segment.

Shit
>Nier Automata: 2B exclaims "sonna!" AKA surprise and desperation at being fucked. Localization changes it to snarky "Oh great!"
>DRV3: Gonta uses hulkspeak throughout the game whereas him referring to himself by name instead of first-person pronoun was supposed enhance to his childishness, not him being a brute, like fuck this isn't even a language specific problem.

The key is to find a balance between fulfilling the function of an entertainment product so the game doesn't have to be riddled with amateurish TL notes, without forgetting loyalty to the original intent of the creator.

>I bet those are the bane of every localizer
Just fucking keep them in, if it's a weeb game like Persona. If it's not a weeb game, but you really cannot leave out honorifics either then make it the game's standard that people are, by western standards, overly respectful.

People who say this sounds awkward are either being delibretely obtuse or has never actually paid attention in conversations. The only odd sentence is the third one solely for the stupid, overused cliche that is "...that". Even so, people do say this but never with such silly, paused dramatics.

>character clearly says Go, men.
>subs say sorry
whats is wrong with localizers?

Attached: 1489008440669.jpg (900x900, 69K)

Depending on the localization it's kinda hard to do that. Like Ace Attorney takes place in New York or something as opposed to Japan don't it?

I don't see it.

That's them making a mistake from the get-go. It shouldn't take place in New York. If they really didn't want the game to take place in Japan then they could simply not have mentioned location at all and kept it ambiguous.

Attached: Phoenix wright in different translations.jpg (7781x1173, 1.81M)

If only you really knew

Fansubbing was one hell of a drug.

Attached: Gomen Gomen.jpg (680x383, 101K)

>Like Ace Attorney takes place in New York or something as opposed to Japan don't it?
Whose fault do you think that is?

I hope this kike and his family rot in hell

Alright. Fair enough point.

And I do find it weird how companies basically admit they don't even know their own target audience when they fuck up a translation so royally. But there was a time when Phoenix Wright was a series that appealed to people even like my mum like Professor Layton did. The point I was trying to get to before you successfully shut me down is that sometimes changes aren't all bad if you're focusing on your target audience correctly.

Shit like XcX's... changes are all a bit odd given the people that play those games.

>a bit odd given the people that play those games
It's like most people here say, the translators are either incompetent, has an agenda or are possibly led by someone who qualifies for one of the above. It's not at all unthinkable that translation companies, like game companies, have some out-of-touch person in a high position who gets to dictate the how the product is going to be.

For whatever reason, france + japan is usually a good combo. Anytime you watch a cartoon and you see its a french/japanese co production you are in for a good time.

Attached: 1-y6vEzRYeYeZ3GBhR_FNddg.jpg (1264x966, 259K)

France has a relatively alive Fujoshi culture. Focus on the "relatively", because it's of course still not something you see unless you look hard.

Yeah, I actually agree with that. There's even terms like domestication and foreignization for different localization strategies when it comes to replacing or retaining source text elements, where latter can be used to emphasize that the game completely takes places in a wholly different culture, in something like Persona or Yakuza series' case Japan where it makes sense if the games are constantly going to draw upon Japan locale-specific elements and so on. Domesticating Ace Attorney series so heavily may have been a very short-sighted decision considering how the original language sequels kept having Japan-related stuff in them that won't make any sense in Western context. Problem is that it's difficult to unfuck without making it feel weird to people who started with the localized versions that exist now.

Depending on context you could also say that Japanese honorifics have reached so high popular knowledge level that they're obvious even to those who don't know the language, f.ex. loan words like ninja, sensei or sushi. Regardless, I think this sort of stuff requires case by case decisions rather than us being able to say that specific strategies need to be used for every single game, I mean these threads often devolve into either "retain everything" or "change everything" camps when the truth isn't always so simple, though I don't really want to be a middle-road fallacy advocate. In worst case scenarios localizers won't even care about any of this shit and just do whatever they feel like, which are actions that should definitely be criticized.

>I think this sort of stuff requires case by case decisions
I agree, and that's the only argument that localizers/translators have against not eventually losing their jobs to automation and future machine translations.

Attached: 1532141683165.png (837x794, 131K)

>and future machine translations.
The one thing that keeps me going is that we've eventually get these things at a low level that makes every game playable so I can go back and revisit years of stockpiled RPGmaker horror games.

>Google translate was making good progress becoming more and more accurate
>Staff intentionally butchers the software for gaming purposes because it's meant for translations of every day conversations
We're lucky if it comes out within the next decade or two.

Given the direction google is going with their machine translation development you might have easier time reading machine translated medical textbook than machine translated indie games.

I was expecting a few decades tbqh. I'm pretty much going to be reading until the day I die and a functional universal translator that expunges the error of the human element WILL happen one day.

Why not just learn Japanese?

>Because it makes the game better.

This is the absolute fucking height of hubris and it disgusts me.

Even if it could be objectively proven that the change was "better", it would still be a terrible thing to do. Why? Because it's not what the developer intended. It's not part of the game, it's fanfiction. Furthermore, by fundamentally changing the script in this way, it means westerners can't give valid feedback to the original developer. They can't judge the quality of the writing because it's not the developer's writing, it's the localizer's.

medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=125458
Actually tried for awhile. Year and some change in and I found I was actually unlearning shit on top of various... issues and that's about where I gave up.

できない

remember that Japanese it's like reading English backwards, so what you read on those boxes isn't perfectly aligned. Maybe what's written in English there was already said in Japanese several text boxes ago.

>Why? Because it's not what the developer intended.
The developer intends a lot of things. Like for their game to be good, for their game to make a lot of money, for their game to be taken seriously. These things are not always possible. Intention is not king.

cool is a man

Sure but there are limits.
Muramasa Rebirth carries out the original intent while injecting flair and it reads great and is as informative as the original Wii intent while also being more descriptive in a good way.

Nothing is lost, the only thing that's gained is more words, and these words don't impact characterization negatively. Great change. And then you have this Certainly you should never make something to the point that steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542831125 is a thing.
Where an already translated game is retranslated by fans like Breath of Fire 2.

>every game translated from Japanese is fanfiction

Attached: 1553572310546.jpg (480x550, 32K)

You're ESL what the fuck would you know?

>Name...

Fuck this shit.

Calvard when?

Attached: calvard when.png (405x646, 21K)

user...

It can't be helped

One of these days I'll finally prove dekinai-chan that it's possible to learn Japanese...

To be honest, automation so far for the translators themselves is actually neat with the introduction of translation memories which allow us to easily leverage similar or exact match segments of things the translator has already translated before, ensuring terminology consistency (especially in projects involving multiple translators) among other quality control things. Of course, companies are also wising up and noticing that the translator needs to work less thanks to technology = maybe he should be be paid less, so there's that.

Regardless, translator as a profession won't likely disappear as long as we don't invent true, creative AI, but in that case pretty much all desk jobs and not just translators are threatened. When it comes to "regular" old-fashioned machine TL, Zipf's law ensures it's ultimately a futile endeavor since we're literally never running out of obscure shit that the developer of MTL didn't think of, not to mention the questionable commercial benefit of developing one for each possible language pair. Simply put we run into globalization vs. localization issue where it may be much more beneficial to fully switch business operations and products to English from the get-go due to being able to reach a much larger audience. This happens pretty much everywhere from creative works to businesses to academic texts, I mean already nearly all games around the world are produced for English speaking audience first with smaller locales being an afterthought and it wouldn't be weird for Japan to eventually follow suit. Why they haven't already is because current English education level there is relatively shit, and they have a big local market that has different tastes and expectations from global market, meaning they're still separate.

Rather than machine TL, globalization is the bane of a translator or at least forces them to find other ways to market their language skills.

literally autism

Because the average westerner doesn't understand subtlety, and saying a few words and letting a scene breathe its own feel by allowing it to remain silent for a while confuse said westerners.

It's funny that 4channelers literally have trigger words that will instantly cause them to get unreasonably angry or upset

Music companies will claw their way into whatever money they can, even if the names being used are just single super common words.

>no source
Typical xsneed having to lie through their teeth to defend their company of choice.

I tried when I had free time and failed. Now I have a job so that means even worse odds of success.

Proper machine translators will come out before Japs learn to speak english. Of this I am certain.

English nier 1 is fun though
>first thing you hear from the game, at the first logo even, is some angry inner city chick talking mad shit and it it all sounds very natural
Good times

Honestly, I used to be a dubfag.
It's just nice listening to people speak in your own language, ya know?
But over time, I appreciated subs more and more due to how much more- well, brutal they were.
I don't know if it's a Japanese thing or just how they translate it. But they don't speak "around" things like we do, and it shows.
So i'd go back and forth depending on the show.

But after this?!
I might just go full sub from now on. Fuck crunchieroll. Fuck Funimation.

Damn it, why do they do this to me? I just wanted to watch cartoons...

Attached: 1478376854367.gif (200x160, 2.41M)

Esty Dee

Attached: sponbelife.gif (350x250, 113K)

>watching anime dubbed in 2019
>playing nips games dubbed in 2019
Dubfags deserve the worst possible treatment, they should have to pay extra for the dub.

Attached: LMAO.gif (256x188, 3.56M)

Then there's Automata. I was not for a second in doubt that I was playing a japanese game when the first thing the game throws at you is "I want to kill god."

Niggastream subbing FGO now?

Attached: niggastream.png (743x1080, 722K)

I prefer dubs because ching chong is neither fun, understandable or well done.

Why are you consuming ching chong medias in the first place?

American laugh track culture
They don't know how to feel and react without a huge APPLAUSE neon sign

Dubs generally always middle at good and very rarely hit great. Summon Night 6 fucks me up because on top of being dub only the few actual talented individuals are drowned out by a flow of shitty acting or poor direction.

Because subhumans like defend them.

Western media won't give me pure maidens, and I hate that's a fact.

Dubs are an odd bunch sometimes. Yggdra Union has high profile western VA's, but the game had little to no marketing and sold like shit.

Meanwhile japs don't know how to laugh at all.

because this is the intended market:

Wait what the fuck, why is Madao in a different series?

Attached: Madao is me.png (1430x1058, 795K)

>Xenoblade 2 Japanese Voices: Device
>English Subtitle: Artifice
Bruh.

this looks like the same game than the snes one, I mean I recognize those locations. Obviously it looks better. Damn, now I want to replay MKR and Sailor Moon RPGs. It's been so long.

>Senpai
>OK

>Speak 4 different languages because, "why not?"
>Play/watch something translating any other language
>It's maybe 70% correct most of the time or uses very country-central wording that have nothing to do with the actual content

Attached: image0.png (640x524, 748K)

"Kaio Ken!"
Subtitle: King Kai Fist

>Nobel Gundam
>Translated: "Noble Gundam"
It was a very bad dub.

Doesn't matter if you play in english or japanese, both are the same soulless cash grab after cash grab of generic shounen games that seem original because by the time anyone cared to localize them the tropes that permeate them will belong to the last decade.
Filled with padding, each single story has to be split in multiple entries because whoever who's in charge of adapting shounen jump latest hot take into a mediocre rpg with mechanics stolen straight out of Persona and Fire Emblem believes that you can't do a good plot without having to traverse each modern fantasy town over and over again with a goody two shoes master of all trades protagonist, his harem of dumb bimbos who apport nothing and his background male companions.
A sad corpse of a series with even a more tragic fanbase, who cling to it either because they think niche is cool or because they spent years learning japanese just to play a literal fan fiction of a retard who played Suikoden and Xenogears and thought that a long lasting series in the same universe would be good, with political themes as understood by a 11 year old and mechas. Literally everything that Kekseki ever did has been done by literally any other jrpg series, but better and ten years before. It's no wonder why this shitshow ranks lower than the most cancerous weeb games in japan, the series has become a shittier parody of itself.

Attached: cute.png (447x697, 67K)

>makaknkosappo
>Special beam cannon
????

>playing falcom trash

Lmao

That's one blackpilled post.

NISA is the fucking worst when it comes to giving characters personality quirks that didn't exist in the original script.

press つ to つく on localizations

Attached: 2019-04-10 13_27_36-つく - Jisho.org.png (630x342, 32K)

SPBP

Why do you fuckers always do this instead of give proof of it being shit?

>It's shit
>prove it
>SHILL

It's like we're on a board full of schizio paranoid retards

I bet you are the type of faggot that goes to a Chinese restaurant and orders a coke instead of tea.

IIRC all the titan's were named after each of the seven deadly sins in the Jap script but the sub gives them totally different names.

>Windows' first recommendation is "Twitter".

it makes sense because not all loan words have 1:1 English meaning
bitch means whore
mansion means apartment

Based. Falcom is trash for waifucucks and weeabos.

I don't go to chinese restaurants, so that's a no.

>puppy mode
You fuckin with me?

>mansion means apartment
Really?

Attached: 1547953440058.jpg (3185x1348, 1.47M)

>Persona and Fire Emblem invented romance and high school slice of life

Attached: PENTHESILEA.jpg (728x546, 43K)

>tfw localizers are based af

Attached: based.png (886x347, 483K)

It was a different time.

>when a weeb translator doesn't know what テンション means
Happens too fucking often. Save your working ears for shit like OP's example where entire lines are written from scratch.

I want to go back. Send me back. Take me back

Wait till you find out what "Home" means. Train platform.

Makes more sense when you realize that Nips don't distringuish "ho" and "fo" sounds too much, and it comes from the "form" part of "platform". Still, it's adorable when I first heard it cause I thought they were saying that the train was going home.

Breast envy and breast ridicule is bad humor.

oh boy another person who studied fucking hiragana and thinks they know japanese now because they can "get the jist of it" but when faced with a fucking newspaper or literally anything that isn't childrens cartoons or tv with subs they understand maybe one sentence a minute kys

t. chestlet

Which 'home' are you talking about?

Attached: 1536853334808.png (296x129, 3K)

> I thought they were saying that the train was going home
Maitetsu comes to mind.

Not him but as long as you're diligent enough with your dictionary and knowledgable about grammar and context, you don't need great proficiency with the language you're translating from.
t. porn translator

flattie spotted

Attached: 4csre4opvwsy.jpg (704x792, 227K)

Maybe, but that the localizers had the balls to just write it this close to a direct translation of it is wonderful.

Wouldn't see that today, for sure.

I don't know about Xenoblade series apart from what I've heard from others, but reminded me about DRV3 localization censoring Angie's religious babbling when I saw my bro play it in English.
>Generic "Kamisama" that can mean any type of "god" from Shinto divinities to monotheistic religions given a name "Atua" when her god is actually unnamed in Japanese
>"So the Lord spoke" line that uses 主 which usually refers to monotheistic Christian God got removed
>Death related Buddhist Nembutsu "namu amida butsu" also removed from the English script as far I'm aware

Does it mean something other than Tension?

Jeez that's bad

>t. porn translator
Well, you basically outed yourself. A lot of these groups are fucking bad.
If anyone gets anything out of this shitshow of a thread, it's that language affects how you think. It's worth learning more than one.

Ah cool dude wanna explain to me how you'd translate a scene where someone who doesn't know the word "不景気" overhears it on TV a lot, and then asks a friend what kind of "ケーキ" it is, and they proceed to have a serious discussion about what kind of ケーキ they think it is?

Show me the dictionary that can save you there.

That's the British meaning of the word, yes.
And even "whore" isn't completely accurate. It's more like "slut", but those words are interchangeable depending on your culture.

It was a silly show.

Attached: rock on.jpg (576x432, 29K)

Summon Night 5 on the psp

i want to learn japanese

It means "spirit" as in 'someone's in good spirits'.
Even japs will acknowledge this loan word has a different meaning than in English.
There's also loan words that have lateral meanings just uncommon on our grammar like ノイズ which refers to static interference.

iirc Vic Ireland hated Grandia's localization, I can't imagine what it would have been like if he got his hands on it

not that guy but man Japanese is a wild fucking ride because of all the different representations words can have
Does anyone know if Chinese has the same problem or are there less collisions/homonyms due to its structure?

>ノイズ which refers to static interference.
That kind of usage is not really all that uncommon.

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/プラットホーム

I don't think white people should translate, honestly. Doesn't matter if you're left-wing or right-wing. It's not even about skin. It's something about the culture most Caucasians have that somehow prohibits the understanding of other cultural norms and linguistics.

>It means "spirit" as in 'someone's in good spirits'
I could see it meaning spirit as in "someone is pumped/fired up". Good spirits usually just means good mood, like happy.

Noise being static makes decently good sense.

>eating shit on purpose, knowingly, is better than unintentionally
Fucking japanese shills are a riot

how me learn japanese?

This shit irks me so much. A language is not just a formula for expressing a sentence, a lot of these newbies miss out on the culture and nuance.

Westerners has to translate because Japs don't speak english.

>white people are the problem
bbc.com/pidgin

There's homophone humor everywhere, buddy.

I don't argue with you but smut's got different challenges than fansubbing animu had. There's dozens of ways to translate how something cannot be helped, but hips moving on their own isn't so versatile.

That's a good change. "Device" is a way too common and mundane term for such fantastical machines.

You'd notice that there's all named after the seven deadly sins in English too if you weren't a brainlet.

you must go to /djt/ and defeat your own darkness before you can proceed down the Japanese road...

Attached: ダークDJT.png (1333x851, 1.06M)

You don't.

Attached: There are more kanji in the japanese language than there are stars in the universe.png (650x559, 946K)

What's a Keki?

Remember to play Sakura Taisen to test whether you're eligible for the JLPT N5 test!

Which now makes me think. What will the re-release of Grandia do to it's translation. How was Grandia II?

>you must go to /djt/

How to ensure you never learn shit

Well it clearly means notCake in this case.

Attached: 1531103607995.png (459x407, 233K)

If I wanted to play Sakura Wars I'd think twice about playing the recent release.

Why would someone put in the time and energy to learn a complicated, dying language that's only useful for playing waifu games?

I'd say "tits or gtfo"
But clearly you don't have tits to give.
I'll settle for gtfo.

Attached: 1478148427366.png (719x699, 519K)

The thread will be over in minutes anyway my dude.

The new one looks very anime-y and loses the Meiji Era charm found in the original design. I don't know why people praise Kubo so much when his designs are only good when Rukia is getting pounded.

My point exactly.

The sadder part is that his original 2D designs look even more garbage and the 3D rendition managed to salvage it somewhat.