How is walking for 20 minutes an improvement for any game?

How is walking for 20 minutes an improvement for any game?

Attached: 345678987656789546778890966548.jpg (1342x684, 219K)

Runescape was ruined by free teleports

Ideally there is something between to do, but that doesnt happen in most games.

>grinding the game
>ruined by anything

how is shooting all the time but at different sprites an improvement for any game?
how is driving but on a different track?
how is deatmatch but on a different map?

runescape was ruined when i discovered Yea Forums

IMAGINE SEEING MEGAMAN AND SEEING LEVEL DESIGN

Open world is about the journey, not the destination.
The problem is people play games with 90s mentality. Minecraft is like the only kind of open world that works because "the goal" is accessible literally every voxel around around you.

I would unironically play an open world remake of the Classic Megaman series if it meant adding context and cool shit to the locations where the pewpewing takes place. also if it meant getting communications and updates and stuff from Roll.

she doesn't even have to say anything important. she just has to be cute. always.

It's called ZX

I felt a sense of journey more in Sekiro than in any open-world game ever and it's incredibly restrictive in it's level design.

It isn't, but it's entertaining for stoners (the #1 consumer of AAA vidya) and it gives them a sense of accomplishment for chasing a blip on the HUD to a checkpoint.

open world is supposed to have all 9 level accessible by walking out, some in front of each other, and interconnected in many other way, not be empty

You're a Nintenbabby so trying to explain that there are genres other than bing bing wahoo is pointless. Every genre has some merit to it, yes even walking movie simulators.

you set your own pacing. open world with teleporters is pointless and a crutch (it's an admisison that moving from point A to point B is a grind) but done well it's great

Because you're a brainlet. You want to be directed in life and can't make decisions for yourself.

>designing a large open world doesn't take any time/resources to develop
Missing the point, bucko

ok but who the fuck uses "voxel" in 2019

You call them "3D pixels" don't you faggot?

Attached: 1554511454319.jpg (900x900, 196K)

Well, my dude, it's because those two are different types of games with different goals. In Megaman the game is level based and the freedom is mostly expressed in the order you beat bosses and obtain weapons. This basically allows the player to play a level based platformer multiple times with variable difficulty based on paths taken and matchuos, as certain bosses are very difficult with your base blaster while being very easy with the correct upgrade. Not to mention some upgrades allow you to bypass difficult platforming and find alternate paths with extra lives or energy tanks. While this format gives the player freedom, some can argue it can alsp be frustrating for begginers who end up with a difficult stage or boss because they went the wrong order, because it makes many upgrades missable, and because once an optimal route is discovered it might as well be linear.

Open world maps are based on the concept of exploration. The joy of playing them lies in finding your way on your own across the land, discovering secrets, upgrades and sidequests as the player freely progresses and discovers an immersive world. While having a linear path to follow will ensure a player enjoys the world, the story, and finds tailored difficulty the way developers intended, fans of the genre prefer the notion of exploration and rewarding player who slowly pay attention to and explore the world. Getting lost is not a problem, but rather the fun part of the game.

>you want to be directed because you can't enjoy literally fucking nothing everywhere, and the journey to next goal marker taking 25 minutes of braindead walking with random mobs every so often rather than 2.
don't kid yourself. open world games are exactly the same as linear ones, except with huge amounts of empty, meaningless padding to create an artificial sense of scale.

what you want is a game without quest markers.

>what you want is a game without quest markers.
So Minecraft. Or AoE. Or anything that doesn't hold your hand and you have to rule the world by your iron fist instead of playing a devs interactive movie.

Thing is that in open world games finding put where to go next is one of the goals, as opposed to simply moving towards a marker on the map.

That's what it's called you fucking mashed potato.

If there's shit to do between your starting point and your destination, then it's fine. But most games fuck this up by having either nothing going on or busy work.

Open world design is more appropriate for games that are meant to be immersive, it just got dumbed down progressively until it became about fast traveling around an empty landmass to complete a checklist.

that's only for starting sidequests. main quest always holds your hand, and so do sidequests once you actually start them. it also doesn't help when proper npcs with side quests are drowning in hundreds of shallow one liner ones.

i was thinking more like morrowind and the likes where you have to pay attention to the environment to follow the clues given by quest givers to find what they were talking about. minecraft is literally nothing, a "go outside and play in the sand/mud, kid, maybe you'll have few minutes of shallow fun" type game, except in vidya format.

I only like Metroid and Dark Souls style open world. Or small sandbox levels like MGSV ground Zeroes, and Pikmin. I usually get bored in huge maps with not a lot to do.

>linear/level select: GO HERE AND DO THIS THING HAVE FUN NOW
>open world: stumble upon interesting shit, decide if you want to do it now or fuck about some more

I prefer the second one, I like exploration in my vidya.