Sekiro

I just picked up this game yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it, but I have to talk about my personal frustration with this game that I don't know if anybody else has touched on yet, and that's the general FromSoft jank that's still present.
>Animations are jittery and look incomplete
>Hitboxes on some moves are a complete guessing game
>Enemies will completely break the flow of their animations to track you
>When changing terrain, legs jitter and shift back and forth and everything becomes more uncertain because the game wasn't designed around such elevation
>Wolf's jump is delayed a bit and looks awkward
>With most actions there is a slight delay as Wolf assumes the proper animation instead of all actions flowing seamlessly into one another
>Grappling is handled by pre-determined points with an animation that does not transition out of or into anything fluidly

The whole game is full of small details like this which indicates a lack of polish. I know it sounds nitpicky, and it kind of is, but polish is important to me personally and it's a bit silly that From has had all this time to perfect the feeling of their action games only to somehow make things feel more disjointed and less 1:1 than I think they've ever felt. Some games, like RDR2, compromise your 1:1 control for impressive looking animations. Some games, like most platformers, boil their animations down to quick and snappy key frames to better allow for more responsive 1:1 input. Some games like DMC5 pay so much attention to both aspects that they somehow managed to have both smooth, impressive animations AND seamless responsive gameplay at the same time. Coming to Sekiro from that game, it's a bit off-putting. Anyone else feel the same?

Attached: 2019-04-05-image.jpg (1920x1080, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

frontlinejp.net/2018/10/08/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-from-software-and-activision-interview/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Feel the same, playing this right after DMC5 was jarring. Sekiro is still fun enough tho

I agree, all in all I've still not been invested in a From game like this since DaS1 personally

I feel the same way and I absolutely love this game. The closer FROM gets to perfection, the more all of their weird outdated jank shines through. They'll get it eventually.

very valid points. it seems small but all of this adds up to the reason why this game isnt a 10/10.

All the best games are made by visionaries in a small room that mash up things with glue and spit.
Not everything has to be super polished.
Ask anyone here on Yea Forums that enjoys eurojank, and old PC games, most of the games we promote here barely fucking work, and when they do the animations seem made by a 60 years old russian hobo drunk on vodka (because they are).
Embrace the jank, stop expecting polish at all costs, polish over everything else breeds a sterile envroinment that kills creativity and experimentation.

>enemy jumps for a down slash
>dodge to the side
>he casual turns his entire torso 40 degrees to hit me
Nice

I'm sick of hearing about this game! I don't care if it's good, i'm avoiding it now.

>>Animations are jittery and look incomplete
on consoles it's 30fps play on pc it's smooth as butter

And?

Imagine thinking yourself superior because you play on PC yet you can't even understand what people in this thread are talking about and you think it's tied to fps.
Christ, what a brainlet you are.

Attached: 1302076276672.png (360x340, 53K)

So you DID play it on an inferior system

What I meant was consoles run at 30fps so of course it is jittery. Btw the animations are fine.

Attached: 1554701922114.jpg (240x240, 6K)

You don't know what "jittery" means.
No, the animations are not fine, they're janky, something you can't fix no matter how you run the game.

I'm ok now.

Attached: meme creep.jpg (1536x2048, 245K)

post an example becuase I disagree on most I will agree the grapple uses the same animation but it looks fine.

>Conkey mentions the differences between development culture in the west and Japan, saying that western games tend to plan things out ahead, with projects being fully documented in advance, while Japanese developers test things and come up with new ideas along the way. While this is not impossible to do in western game development, it is harder because work is formally assigned to individual people.
frontlinejp.net/2018/10/08/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-from-software-and-activision-interview/

Jank in japanese games and especially From’s is because it’s a bunch of crazy people doing whatever the fuck they want. It results in games that are less “polished” and “streamlined” but I’d honestly take that over another fucking cover TPS lootbox trap made by a committee.

And that's exactly the same approach easter europeans take when making games too, much to similiar results (except the polish level that japanese people accomplish even with this approach, because a russian dev will get lost in the woods and die mid-development on average).

Yeah this is annoying, has been in every souls game so far. But I liked how they didi this kind of move with the second Owl fight, the move where he raises his sword above his head and waits a while before smashing it down. If you dodged that move too early Owl just changes it into another move and slashes you instead. I hate it when enemies have that same lock on that player uses

Are you retarded or do you not understand angles? It's okay to be bad at math.

Not all Jap games have that jank though. Most Nintendo and Capcom games feel pretty polished if we're going by companies that jump out at me. You could argue those companies are more or less Japanese AAA but FromSoft can't exactly play the humble dev angle, their games are pretty much normalfag now with each one raking in millions and they have a $60 price tag the same as any AAA

Nintendo polishes their games for years and years and years, they have a very convoluted and perfectionist angle and have their own methdology going on (one western company that used to do this way back in the day was Valve, not that many people would remember it).
Capcom has a different approach, they work a lot on their engines first, so they have to do less optimization work later.
From might be making money, but their mentality is still of a AA studio rather than a AAA one.
They got lucky with souls games, but haven't grown in their methodology much.
At hearth, they remain a AA japanese studio, sorta like Platinum Games.
Their numbers might make you think they're bigger than they actually are, mindset wise.

Here’s a hint: learn to parry

Those are all valid complaints. I felt the EXACT same way and you listed every complaint I have with it. Still good though solid 8.5/10. Once you get used to it it will feel less janky, although it really is janky.