King's Field Thread

So with the all the noise about Sekiro, I think it's time for a thread about From's best series: King's Field.

Personally I like the third game (second in USA) the best. More linear and less abstract than the second, but the atmosphere and aesthetic is still all there. Haven't played the 4th one yet, but I've seen people say that it's the best. What do you think Yea Forums?

Attached: 5293838.jpg (592x600, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZFr7AyT17sI
youtu.be/3SayOf-3zVc
youtube.com/watch?v=YhazgW7RBnw
youtube.com/watch?v=kXkr9ECZPlM
youtube.com/watch?v=lUElLsA3UqM
youtube.com/watch?v=yC-Q95wIuvM
youtube.com/watch?v=cUyCUWLoa5M
youtu.be/ayvgtAbCvQA
youtube.com/watch?v=gQJzSTiqIaw&list=PL817B4F92C9717873&index=22&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=9D_TTcVS9hM
maketecheasier.com/retroarch-ps1-emulation/
youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: KF1_Shot_004.jpg (320x239, 36K)

I've played the first US one and I'm superior to anyone who didn't. Those who finished it are superior to me though. Fuck this game.

Attached: 694856-king-s-field-ii-playstation-screenshot-nice-scene-with-a-fountain.png (320x240, 73K)

KFIV was the best for me. Best journey in the series.

Attached: 2KingsField15.jpg (380x285, 22K)

Fucking loved King's Field 3, definitely the best one. Anyone know any games from around the time like the series? I would try to find some on my own but I don't know where to start.

The gameplay looks too dated for me but this track is pretty good, makes me wonder why Saitoh didn't compose more for From's other games
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFr7AyT17sI

Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness

i watched lobos play them all, they are cool, good music. i think the ps2 one was actually not as charming as kf2 (US) but undeniably looks better and runs well. also if you didn't know, you can play shadow tower and the kf games with solid 30 fps on retroarch now , with no trxture warping cause of the PGPX feature youtu.be/3SayOf-3zVc

Absolutely love its slow pace. I genuinly dislike that From's pace got faster and faster lately in their games, I liked the more slow and methodic approach on first DS, wish they'd double down on that and explore more options without making new games a fucking spasmatic nightmare.

KF3 is definitely easier, you could give that one a try. Fuck the Passage of Hell though.

Attached: PSOGL004.png (640x480, 57K)

Attached: kf22.png (640x480, 319K)

really all? I only saw the very first with guyra and seath, can you help a nigga out to find the rest of series? Also did he play shadow tower? I desperatley want someone decent to watch both Shadow Towers, there was a playthrough by Davecontrol but he abandoned it halfway through I think.

not all all i guess, he played kf1,2,3 english releases. he skipped the original kf1 jp, and he played like 4 hours of shadow tower and quit because of the durability system

You can be the fan of KF but you must admit the first KF is stupid as fuck not only in premise but in realization. To this day I don't understand why a cemetery has a garrison of soldiers just chillin in the graveyard like it's normal stuff.

Attached: KF1_Shot_009.jpg (320x239, 26K)

I've played all 4 King's Field games as well as both Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring. KF4 is probably my favorite, KF3(2 in US) being a close second.

I don't really like comparing the KF games to the Shadow Tower but I think both Shadow Tower games are absolutely amazing, the first one probably better than any KF game though it's hard to compare.

Eternal Ring was quite boring, I didn't finish it. I also didn't finish KF1(japan) which is pretty bad and I think I got stuck in a room in KF2(1 in US) without a save backup so I didn't finish it either. All the other games I finished, KF3 and 4 and Shadow Tower Abyss I beat more than once.

I wish there were more games like these, they're severely underrated.

That's one of the best tracks in KF4. I also like these:
youtube.com/watch?v=YhazgW7RBnw
youtube.com/watch?v=kXkr9ECZPlM
youtube.com/watch?v=lUElLsA3UqM
one of the comfiest games ever made

The backtracking and corridors all looking the same is what killed it me.

is it good?
i grabbed it in a giant lot of gaming shit, box is fucked tho, all the glue is dying.

>kf thread
>have to hit the hay

fuck you op, make these threads earlier!

Attached: 349.jpg (637x921, 34K)

>I don't really like comparing the KF games to the Shadow Tower
Why? The first ST is literally a expanded KF it's the PS2 game that's a different beast altogether.

Which game?

it's a royal cemetry with treasure and there are graverobbers.

Attached: 1552437145061.jpg (359x357, 12K)

Some good tracks in KF3 too
youtube.com/watch?v=yC-Q95wIuvM
youtube.com/watch?v=cUyCUWLoa5M

Attached: 1459697020498.jpg (800x800, 362K)

I don't know, I just like playing KF games for the comfy atmosphere and Shadow Tower is more like for exploration for me.

KF1, its the old longbox one, so its glue is drying out of peeling off.

Putting two guys outside the ONLY entrance to it would be enough. Having a chapel, shop and garrison is bit too much.

KF1(US)? It's a good game though not nearly as polished as the third one. If you have a good PC though I'd recommend emulating it instead so you can avoid the disgusting texture warping the game has.

I forgot I haven't played the demo. I still need to look into that.

>Fuck the Passage of Hell though.
You mean Passage of Death? Great troll dungeon, I couldn't get mad at it. Died like 30 times

aren't the kings like sent from the dragons or some shit? wouldnt that make them holy?

sounds like a pilgrimage site to me

youtu.be/ayvgtAbCvQA
good song from kf1 US, gets good like 30 seconds in

There a lot too criticize about the first game, but it was there first game ever and fairly revolutionary at the time. Plus it was fun.

That being said, fuck that fourth level. It wasnt even hard, just an absolute pain in the dick to navigate.

I always wanted to get into kings field, but the slow controls drive me nuts.
Are there any modern games like KF?

youtube.com/watch?v=gQJzSTiqIaw&list=PL817B4F92C9717873&index=22&t=0s
Best track in the series.

Try Shadow Tower Abyss. It plays much faster.

no bro!
i need to wallow in its 90s aesthetic!
also, i miss those blob like people and monsters.

he did some of the best songs in DS3 and Bloodborne, it also says he did some stuff for Sekiro but I'm not sure what
youtube.com/watch?v=9D_TTcVS9hM

skyrim, same combat system

check this video you can run the kf games at better fps on pc, which affects the game speed

>Are there any modern games like KF?
Well there is Underworld Ascendant but it's not very good.

Just hope the solodev making this doesn't suddenly die.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 35K)

Shadow Tower is great.

What's your favorite kino moment from KF?
Mine's the restoration of the Moonlight Sword in KFIV

looks more like skyrim then king's field desu.

I finished Shadow Tower but could never get into King's Field much. I should grab the PS2 game and give it another shot some time.

it's like the Burzum prison albums

testing to be honest

Skyrim is just KF with brainded dungeon design and "better" combat

No it's not.

Yeah I bet you think KF was revolutionary when in fact it was a simplified Ultima Underworld

I think you mean Ultima Underworld but with good level design and gameplay and in full 3D in 1994.

I've completed every KF and Shadow Tower game. KF4 was great, I highly recommend it. Shadow Tower 1 was also a high point for Fromsoft.

Attached: pcsx2 2016-04-06 16-55-36-393.jpg (1115x836, 320K)

Did you play Pilot Style and Additional 1 and 2?

UU was already in 3d in 92 tho and the Stygian Abyss has a more interesting layout than KF.

Every interactable object and enemy was a 2D sprite in UU.

So? Using sprites means a game isn't 3d? Guess maro64 wasn't 3d after all.

imagine going back in time and telling them about wasd controls. they would slap themselves

Having almost no 3D models in your 3D game makes it not fully 3D.

No one thinks you're cool for liking obscure janky Ultima Underworld rip-offs. The souls series is far better than this trash.

>Having almost no 3D models in your 3D game makes it not fully 3D.
That's the stupidest definition of 3d I ever heard.

if you've played any video game past Adventure on the Atari 2600, you're a fucking zoomer who doesn't have the right to post on my board.

Its obviously a commonly held belief, otherwise nobody would have cared about Quake.

I'm the guy who likes King Field 2 the best. Just love how the world feels interconnected and non-linear. Also Necron is the fucking coolest boss in the series.

I have the one on ps2
It's shit

>Skyrim is just KF with brainded dungeon design and "better" combat
The Elder Scrolls series predates King's Field, you dummy, and even the first Elder Scrolls game is much more ambitious than any King's Field game.

Attached: 1551017810907.png (558x614, 29K)

i played that for about 30 seconds, it was ok

>Every interactable object and enemy was a 2D sprite in UU.
So? The environment is fully 3D and the post you replied to was talking about level design.

>I think you mean Ultima Underworld but with good level design and gameplay and in full 3D in 1994.
What gameplay would that be? KF's combat is no better than UU's, and it has none of the interactivity, magic system that let you crazy shit and other immersive sim features.

People cared about Quake because it was a good game. Also I hope you realize that even before quake there were fully 3d games. Quake is famous for one thing related to 3d actually and it's not the fact it was fully 3d. It was the later added support for 3d accelerators.

I usually hear people say they prefer 2. I'm surprised so many people here are saying they like 3. It's normally seen as linear and kinda shitty compared to 2, 4 and ST.

Can we talk about King's Field please? If you wanna post about other games make a new thread, stop shitting this one.

KF3 is more polished in every aspect and the level design makes more sense. KF2 is kinda confusing and you can actually get stuck in some rooms and if you overwrite your save it's game over.

OBSESSED

Attached: 1539465092914.png (1880x3023, 372K)

I tried getting into it but the turning and walking is so damn slow in the first one.

I remember talking to some fishing dude, going to a lighthouse or something and getting an item then going into a cave and got wrecked by some squid monsters.

The level design is more linear in 3, but 2 makes perfect sense. I can't imagine not rotating your saves in a game like this so I don't see how getting stuck is an issue.

None of those posts are wrong.

I liked KF2's magic system more than 3's

Really? I didn't like 3 for the first hour or two because it felt so different than 2, but after I realized it was going for a bigger more linear world than 2 I ended up liking it a lot. 2 and 3 are the best in the series imo.

>game literally made to purposefully move slow like molasses
>good

I really like the ps2 one ( 4? ) wish the controls were better cause the atmosphere was nailed

Do you have alerts set up for every mention of King's Field on Yea Forums? Are you really going through all this effort to defend some retarded game?

holy fuck

Attached: 1550227598086.jpg (1462x1462, 801K)

>anyone that mentions Ultima Underworld and King's Field in the same post is the same person
Do you have some sort of crippling autism?

Im genuinely interested in your guys opinions of this series, ive always wanted to play through a couple especially 2 where your on the island ever since i saw a gameinformer replay vid. It looks kinda slow and tedious but its got that dark and spooky feel to it that ps1 and FromSof games have

>From's best series: King's Field
fuck off honestly

i liked that replay. watch lobosjr play some kings field, he enjoys it which makes it fun to watch

He's right. Sekiro isn't a series yet, and King's Field is better than Armored Core or Souls. KF wins.

It's a great series. All of the games are good, and the side series like Shadow Tower are even better in some cases. If you like slow, methodical dungeon crawling it's one of the best out there.

>King's Field is better than Armored Core
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
imagine being this deluded

>watch a youtube vid of people playing king's field
>come to Yea Forums to be a contrarian hipster and say that it's better than souls
this shit is so annoying why can't you stop acting like children

I wanna get into King's Field. The first game has a fan translation right? Does the PC remake have one as well or should I just go with the PS1 version?

I beat 2 and 4, but I wasn't putting up with any more "strafe against every fucking wall while mashing X to find the hidden passageways" by the time I got to Shadow Tower.

They're still jank kino.

I don't know how anyone can stomach a 3d ps1 game.

I've played every single one myself. KF is better than Souls because Souls is watered down by the genre mixing. Sekiro and KF are both great because they're focused.

By not being a zoomer.

PS1 version is more pure. The PC remake is also translated, but it's a lot faster and doesn't quite play like actual KF1. It's cool as a novelty, but I'd start with the actual PS1 version.

PS1 is not N64, there are some games that are some games that you can still enjoy today. King's Field is not one of them if anything though

i'd skip kf1 japan if i were you and start on the first american one (kings field) it's a lot better

Hm, alright I'll give it a shot.

>skipping games
No thanks.

Stop projecting, not everyone is a zoomer who watches youtube videos to have their own opinion. Have you even played the game? I mean it's pretty obvious you haven't.

Wrong and bad opinion, don't listen to it.

>zoomer
fuck off

Attached: King's Field Moonlight Sword beam.webm (640x480, 217K)

>PS1 is not N64
Yeah, if it was the N64 it would have good 3D games.

nice one

But then it wouldn't be an RPG.

Dark Souls 2 is the best King's Field game.

I wish they'd remake the King's Field games on DS2's engine. DS2 has the right kind of slow-pacing for those games and the greatest joy of King's Field games is the exploration and finding secrets (like DS2)

>KF is better than Souls because Souls is watered down by the genre mixing
What a retarded post. Souls series are probably the best action RPGs ever made. King's Field games are literally watered down PC dungeon crawlers with awful controls.

>Souls series are probably the best action RPGs ever made
While secretly this is the truth you are not allowed to say this shit on Yea Forums. Say something like Azure Dragon Warrior Despera Xilia XXXCV-4/2 is the best and you are safe

cringe

i'm glad i'll never be as stupid and wrong as you. enjoy getting offended by people with better taste than you.

go back to your obscure gaming subreddit

Nice arguments, as expected of retarded contrarians.

Oh please fuck off. Skyrim doesn't have anywhere near the same combat system. Not even Morrowind has as shitty combat as these King's Field games.

>Those who finished it are superior to me though
feelsgoodman

Why is he always so hungry?

>it's like the Burzum prison albums
Listen to dungeon synth.

What levels of contrarianism do I need to be on to enjoy King's Field? Or is it unironically good? I grew up with PS1 so graphics are not really a problem to me

Feels good being mentally superior to underaged shitters like this.

Attached: 1552872434489.jpg (1200x1200, 234K)

>Necron is the fucking coolest boss in the series.
I always liked the giant termite queen or whatever, necrons magic was a pain and took me forever to finish.

>additional 1 and 2 still don't have translation patches
fug

They're very enjoyable dungeon crawlers. You don't need to be contrarian at all, you just need to appreciate the genre and not balk at the idea of a game that's slow and methodical.

Attached: pcsx2 2016-04-09 14-41-17-686.jpg (1115x836, 483K)

Have sex

I'll give them a try because the atmosphere in these games seems to be top notch. But I've never enjoyed stuff like Daggerfall

Very few games can match the atmosphere of these games. Make sure you try Shadow Tower and it's sequel as well.

Yeah I wanted to try Shadow Tower too. Whew, lots of games to play

I recommend playing the PS1 game using retroarch and following this guide: maketecheasier.com/retroarch-ps1-emulation/ though you'll need a somewhat decent PC to make use of everything. That said even with some of the settings enable it can make a night and day difference so try it out.

Half of these games are actually complete fucking trash. Virtual Hydlide tier. I'll admit the later ones are fine, but go fuck off if you're going to imply that KF1/2/3 aren't shit in a world where full 3D dungeon crawling isn't a spectacle anymore.

Zooma-zoom-zoom

Thanks user

>LE EBIN ZOOMER MEME XD
Fuck off.

Nah.

Pretty sure you messed up considering there are only four KF games.

Used to be on PSN. Not sure why they took it down.

>Anons pretending 1 is good.
That's really pushing it.

Was much less of a clusterfuck than 2, 2 had tons of bullshit. Also the shitty maps

Id rather have a new shadow tower game.
That plays like some kind of immersive sim.

Attached: 2631588-gsdx_20130919230713.jpg (1280x896, 232K)

how does it feel to be born after y2k?

King's Field IV intro would be kino without the voice over.

Feels like I was born in 92 and am sick of autists unironically screeching the "zoom boom" bullshit that little shits joke about. God forbid anyone dislike [insert any game more than seven years old] or else they're little zoomy zoom.

Evergrace is still my favorite game from that formula, but that's probably entirely nostalgia and my love of the OST.

>tfw you get the shotgun
I wish they had implement a proper ng+ though

>God forbid anyone dislike [insert any game more than seven years old] or else they're little zoomy zoom
This so much

How have the controls aged in this series? I could use to play something with zero expectations.

They haven't aged at all. They still feel good and responsive. They're slow, but that's by design.

the controls are basically the same as the first armored core games

I only played the US 1st one. The slowdown and controls took some getting used to but I for one liked it.

Attached: 1535701207652.png (744x520, 11K)

Agreed. I love all the King's Field games. The music, pacing and atmosphere is great.
I wish they would make another KF game, but Miyazaki said that would require the director to come out of retirement, else it wouldn't be authentic. I think he retired after directing Dark Souls 2, probably because all you shits complained about it for no reason.

> think he retired after directing Dark Souls 2
No way, is it the same guy?

It's probably my favorite, I suppose I just like the purity of a single dungeon

>for no reason.
It was shit.

It's objectively better than DaS1.

actually he was credited as "Lead Game Designer" on DS2, not director. But he's retired now.

Worst Souls was the first game Tanimura directed, the fuck are you on.

What's the best way to play these on PC?

Attached: 1547232150166.jpg (399x574, 31K)

Retroarch and PCSX2

see

Attached: miyazaki_says.png (708x371, 72K)

I recommend a guide because there's no way in hell you're gonna know where you're going or what to do.

Not true, I beat all 4 games without looking anything up, but I'm used to playing games blind

I want to play 2 and 3 but I can't stand the fucking slowdown they have and even with overclocking turned on in mednafen it still isn't fast enough to eliminate it entirely. Also with overclocking turned on the menus then run faster than they're supposed to which makes navigating them a pain as they read held inputs.
4 was great though, up until that fucking horrendous final boss.

I didn't have any of those issues using retroarch and these settings

JP KF1 is super comfy. Levels are less intricate, but I feel like that makes it a bit more accessible.

>Are there any modern games like KF?
There's Dungeons & Darkness on Steam which is a doujin attempt at it and is about as janky as you'd expect.

All their old first person games were really cool. Wish they'd release a mega collection of them all.

After you get used to the controls and inexplicably short range of your swords they're good fun.

Attached: king's field iv.jpg (1024x1462, 499K)

Those settings don't even touch on the overclocking option, so you were dealing with the slowdown instead.

I just tested it here and it seems to be running contantly at 60fps. Maybe it's your cpu? I have a r5 2600.

Attached: kings_field-190409-220402.png (1920x1080, 2.17M)

You're looking at the wrong FPS counter. Look at the internal FPS.

What's the best Emulator and combination of settings to get no warbling and solid fps. 30fps is fine, just no speed up or slow down.

How? I'm not seeing the option here.

>Load game
>Quick menu
>Options
>Display internal FPS
It's above the scanline settings.

I see. Setting the cpu clock to 160-170% seemed to work best for me, anything over that and the game plays too fast.

That said though I don't remember noticing any slowdowns on KF3.

bump

Worth getting the PSP port?

The PSP games aren't translated and they're pretty different to the main games

No. It's not a good adaptation and isn't a good grid based dungeon crawler either.

what these two said.

Also, I played all 3 PS1 king's field on the Vita and it was absolutely comfy. Later I played them on the PS3 and PC but playing them on the Vita was by far the best experience.

I don't know how well these games would play on a actual PSP but if it plays well than I highly recommend playing the PS1 games on a PSP or any other mobile gaming device really.

I played them on a psp. You’ll have to get used to some awkward controls due to the one analog. Also odd hand placement to play efficiently.

>You’ll have to get used to some awkward controls due to the one analog.
They don't use the right stick at all, user. That includes 4. FromSoft didn't realise there was a right stick until they made Armored Core Nexus.

>not enjoying both
Nice memes, newfag.

a new king's field would be amazing now that from software knows how to make PC games, it could be the japanese equivalent of skyrim

Surprised nobody has tried to remake the original games, wouldn't even have to go all out graphically, just a little punch up that makes things not look like so blocky and animation that doesn't take longer than FF9's battle loadups.

>wouldn't even have to go all out graphically
I think it would be too hard to try and emulate the atmosphere those games had since the foggy/hazy/low poly/low res textures added a lot to it.

Hopefully they'll give it a consideration, even if Miyazaki's all "Oh, I don't know if I can do it justice". Not like it has to be exactly like the originals, just a first-person, Souls-esque game that runs smoothly.

I mean with a modern day engine like UE4 and Unity.

game isn't all that hard once you figure out what the fuck you are doing, it actually becomes a fucking faceroll experience after a little bit, most people just struggle getting over how slow the game is and how rough it is at the start

Depends on how realistic/stylized it tried to be. I'd be fine with the latter since even the Soulsborne games have always good for pseudorealism rather than photorealism. Of course, realistic shadows/fog could be one way to create some great tension in areas you're still exploring as you don't know what might lead to a dead end/trap or take you to a secret area full of goodies.

I just want fromsoft to ditch that stupid ass souls engine, sekiro looks like fucking ass and still has the same shitty glitches left over from the demon's souls code in 2009 like dogs running inside walls and falling in the abyss, jesus fucking christ

They are actually good games. They just had some shortcomings pushing the hardware.

try playing the ps1 kings field games on emulator and increasing the speed, its actually quite a bit of an improvement

What you expect is exactly what you get though.

I've been watching lobos play this on YouTube. It's not the first let's play I've watched from him but it's the first one where he almost loses the will to continuing playing a game.

These games are slow as molasses. Comfy but extremely slow.

Early on, but they do pick up once you've got some good gear and spells. I remember how KF2 (3 in NipKnackPaddyWhack) starts to gain some momentum once you've gotten about halfway in and are close to unsealing the castle and preparing to make the plunge inside.

4 was such a crazy ride. I recall a few idiotic first steps when it stars because if you didn't watch your footing you'd step into lava or some fires or whatever and burn yourself in seconds. Then after the spider boss it was just madness as you explored that underground fortress.

I played the first US game, I enjoyed until I ended up getting softlocked inside the prison and ruined my save

Damn, it didn't even occur to me to play KF on the Vita. At this point 1/2jp is the only one I haven't actually played, gonna load it up now.

One of my favorite aspects of the games is the guidepoint/warp system. It really rewards exploration and it limits the players ability to warp enough that they still get a feel for a location.

name ten games where this happens.

Attached: 1554583390045.png (616x599, 153K)

This
All King's Field games are pretty easy with tough starts. And I don't mean the way people say Dark Souls is easy, I mean actually easy.

It's a console fps before the use of two analog sticks. It will take some getting used to.

Do King's Field fans like Dark Souls 2 and dislike Dark Souls 3?
It appears to me that this is the case. While I don't like DaS2 as much as DaS1 or DeS. I still had a lot of fun with the game and still come back to it from time to time.

Yes. Shulva is pretty much the ancient city from KF4.

youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8

it's really not, unless you have the mindset of quantity > quality