Accessibility vs Difficulty

Isn't accessibility things like colorblind mode?

I feel like journalists are intentionally conflating accessibility and difficulty in order to disingenuously reinforce their viewpoint.

For example I'm a big fag and I can't play horror games, I'm not going to go around asking them to remove all the jump scares.
But I don't think anyone has ever argued that accessibility settings are bad or shouldn't exist. Right?

Attached: D3qXGdoWsAAHu2o[1].jpg (795x399, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/corybarlog
youtube.com/watch?v=OOjXaAZHEQE
thehardtimes.net/harddrive/sekiro-should-respect-its-players-and-add-big-anime-titties/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

God of War is a pretty terrible example to use for this argument anyway, as it's harder difficulty modes were terribly designed tedious bullshit.

I would say accessibility would be stuff like colorblind mode, rebinding inputs, being able to use custom controllers, etc.

The whole cripples need easy mode to beat games meme is retarded

The majority of games with difficulty settings are tedious bullshit on their harder options because they are designed to just scale some numbers. It's a design decision that unquestionably compromises the quality of the game.

If I was a cripple I would be offended if they added an easy mode just for people like me. Christ just give me a controller that lets me play like normal people.

Xbox now has a controller that lets you input using just about any device

The God of War guy literally came out and told gaming journalist scumbags not to use his tweet and to stop twisting his words, because he wasn't talking about Sekiro or Fromsoft.

Difficulty settings have always and will always be a detriment to games

now its become "retarded lazy gameblogger mode"

people with real disability dont want to be used to justify this bullcrap

Attached: 798353410il3APM.png (871x429, 99K)

I'm colorblind and I play games without colorblind mode. There is no reason brainlets (the only people who want an easy mode) can't play hard games.

Accessibility options are absolutely not a threat to artistic vision.

Difficulty options absolutely are.

Sekiro is a perfect example. The artistic vision of the developer is for players to overcome what feels like immense and unbeatable odds and come out victorious in the end with immense satisfaction as a reward.

An easy mode would compromise this vision. Simple as.

JUST MAKE THE GAME HOW YOU THINK IT'S BEST JESUS CHRIST

I don't want filthy subhuman cripples playing my games.
They should just die desu

Attached: f57.jpg (640x640, 79K)

But if a developer chooses not to, that's the end of the argument. Doesn't matter if you can find devs who say it doesn't compromise THEIR vision, each game is different.

Yeah just look at RE2 remake.
Hardcore mode should be the only difficulty in that game and when you beat it you could unlock harder difficulties.
Same with DMCV.
SoS should be the mode you start with but instead it's unlocked if you beat the game or the tutorial boss you're obviously supposed to lose to.

Ever since Eurogamer hired this faggot they’ve gone full SJW. Every other post of his is some woke virtue signaling. It’s really killed the site.

Why do I give a shit what some random “devs” think? All this controversy has shown is, yet again, the deep hatred and contempt many developers and game journalists have for their audience.

Difficulty settings are good because you cant finetune for everyone and plenty of people will find it too easy/too hard, but at the same time its a lazy way, good design teaches the player and gradually ramps up the difficulty ie offereing harder game+ mode and challenges

miyazaki says otherwise

Isn't that the same guy who failed hard when playing Cuphead's tutorial?

Accessibility is like adding hearing impaired subtitles to a film.

Difficulty options are like releasing a re-edited version of the film that makes the plot easier to understand.

Why has this “easy mode” argument not been applied to experimental films yet? Oh, I know, because the games industry is an absolute joke where artistic integrity is undermined by soulless, brainless worms who are given a voice only because no one seriously considers it an art form yet.

>

Attached: polygon.webm (718x404, 451K)

they can add those accessibility and difficulty options themselves then. offer their work for free and help every developer on the planet with their games and add those things if those game developers allow it

weren't they talking about disabled (retarded) people and not physically handicapped people? what a retard, mentally and physically.

>Game developer who made games with difficulty as an afterthought doesn't say anything meaningful about difficulty
Who would have thought

Attached: 1554486303019.jpg (640x640, 33K)

The worst part is that dev isn't even talking about Sekiro or Fromsoft. And he actually asked this scumbag "journalist" not to twist his words or make it seem like he was criticizing Fromsoft because he likes actually them.

Woah, is that moots brother?

>And he actually asked this scumbag "journalist" not to twist his words or make it seem like he was criticizing Fromsoft because he likes actually them.
source?

>Wesley Yin-Poole
Someone tell Moot's husband his article is trash.

This, GOW hard mode is genuinely awful. It’s really not fun at all. I’ll still often start a game in hard mode and see if it holds together but it’s usually a 50-50 proposition.

Games have gotten easier and easier over time, ostensibly to get even more of these losers on board, but it’s still not enough. The Souls games would be below average in terms of difficulty in the 1990s.

his ass.

>GOW hard mode is genuinely awful.
what is bad about it? every hard mode is the same, you retard.

Easy mode isn't going to help when you can't do the basic actions the games ask of you.

twitter.com/corybarlog
Like 6 tweets down.

Why lie? This was easy to find.

All it does is inflate numbers. The game wasn't designed around high risk high reward gameplay, so it just feels like a cheesy slog to get through. Sekiro and God Hand and NGB and DMC3 all feel good on high difficulties. God of War does not.

>Developers say difficulty options are no threat to artistic vision
>Article is about Sekiro
>Not a single person who worked on Sekiro is quoted
>Literally just an article copying tweets with two paragraphs of the author's opinion

Jesus.

Attached: gentleman consent.jpg (500x464, 65K)

this game had easy mode and its literally the worst dark souls (base game)

Attached: eb53ad3dea5946b4d8fea1313e24ca602daf17b8.jpg (616x353, 36K)

they're using disabled people as an excuse to make games easier for them

even the people's tweets he's quoting aren't talking about sekiro. what a disgrace.

youtube.com/watch?v=OOjXaAZHEQE
>sonic, literally can't go in a straight line
>cuphead, literally can't string a jump into a dash
Just where does the accessibility line get drawn at?
Do we go back to where you need actual skill to get special collectibles?
Do we pull a Mario and add in a Tanooki suit?
Do we follow the mobile trend, and just make idle games?

Attached: IGN plays Sonic.webm (1280x720, 2.49M)

games are going to get so bad, it will make now seem like the good old days.

Attached: 4da15b9a62533ab1a6d76e031303d2e8.jpg (720x1040, 202K)

Good thing because literally no one but the author (who posted this thread) is listening.

This whole easy mode debacle is some next level bullshit. If a single player game is too hard for you, just use a fucking trainer or cheats - Problem fucking solved.

Id like to add to this, that God of War 2 and 3 had fantastic high difficulties

that video

what

Attached: 1287530263626.png (184x172, 3K)

Why can't people whining about difficulty games just learn to code and make their own games?

does C++ have an easy mode?

Sekiro is already easy mode in a lot of ways compared to Souls games.

All of the Gourd Seeds that you use to upgrade your Healing Gourd are in obvious spots that are basically impossible to miss and the skills to enhance healing are there for you to level up. Compare this to Souls games where Estus Shards and Fire Keeper Souls are hidden and you really have to try hard to find them and even then, iirc, you cannot fully enhance your Estus Flask in one playthrough.

I was doing a second playthrough of Sekiro and got 9 charges of the Healing Gourd before the Owl fight.

Yeah, but you can't summon and stand back while John from Gamespot, the one journalist good at these games, does all the work.

All this spite against hard games feels like a twisted way to virtue signal.
>Look how INCLUSIVE I strive to be!

You're not saying anything noteworthy. They're openly stating this as their value. They don't believe in allowing people to enjoy things based on skill alone.

The amount of spite they have is the weird thing. Why do they operate on this level of hatred? Shouldn't they be more understanding toward everybody if they want to be inclusive?

>If a single player game is too hard for you, just use a fucking trainer or cheats - Problem fucking solved.
Yeah but then they'll bitch and moan when they get shat on for cheating. There's no good end to this if devs actually start listening.

>this dev believes in this thing
>this dev believes in that thing
not everything is for everyone, this is the inherent problems with these arguments, things shouldn’t strive to appeal to everyone, that’s how you end up with homogenized garbage, if you can’t appreciate a Kandinsky painting go jerk off to Norman Rockwell, find whatever tickles your pickle and let other people enjoy what they like

I love when these idiots bring up braille as something that makes things more accessible.
Braille sucks.
Its unwieldy, easy to make mistakes, takes up a huge amount of space to print any significant amount of information, and is expensive to print and buy.
The Bible in braille takes upwards of 15 fucking volumes and costs over 700 dollars.
Not only that, but selection of other books is severely limited. If your gold standard for accessibility is BrAiLe ExiSts then you need to unfuck yourself.

Attached: braille-bible.jpg (909x671, 110K)

what if the artistic vision is being difficult?

>TFW have nethack Ascension and Wizardry grand master titles on my belt.
>TFW Seeing modern video games

Difficulty is racist, user.

The modern liberal value system places kindness and acceptance to anybody whose feelings could possibly be hurt through lack of power or success at any cost.

This means distorting reality so that the failures are not even aware of their failure so they can't feel bad about it. It means calling transwomen real women so they don't feel "othered." It means paying black people reparations for slavery. It means allowing in a literal unlimited amount of immigrants with no regulation because it's be nice for them to come to a better country.

Yeah. They got owned for their dumb opinion, so they shifted to accessablity and now to cheat codes. They are sticking with codes becaue everyone who played 16 but games used codes (often thanks to lack of a save feature, but they ignore that). It’s fucking retarded, but the only way these aging blogs can maintain revenue are hate clicks.

Attached: A0BCA172-4199-435D-BF81-03F108D332B1.jpg (355x369, 34K)

Have you seen a typical liberal's Twitter profile? All it is retweet after retweet of the most bitter, petty shit imaginable. These people are miserable and can barely enjoy life let alone playing video games.

Attached: Sekiro™_ Shadows Die Twice_20190401130620.png (1920x1080, 2.06M)

>Cheat codes
You mean buying to win?

>Developers say cheat mode is fine
which developers?
I'm not following the games "journalism" but all i've seen is "journalists" saying that.

Can we please start the phase where we kill all journos soon
I'm trying to be patient and wait for the day of the rope as planned but these fuckers are so annoying I can't deal

nuGoW is the only game in recent memory where I had to drop the difficulty down because I was getting fucked too hard. I felt like I was playing the game wrong somehow but no, just massive damage sponges that hit like trucks.

That is exactly what they're trying to do, claim a moral high ground by using the disabled as a shield.

The Onions of War

i like this development so far. this is kind of like a mini gamergate.

journalists are pushing some retarded agenda that only they care about, and the public is not having it.

we will see more acceptance of difficult games in the long run.

>accessibility
literally buy the game, you fucking retard
>difficulty options
who the fuck cares, do you think there's an entire untapped market demographic of faggot journalists who will throw money at your game if they don't have to be bothered to actually play it?

Attached: 1552084492053.png (500x500, 275K)

>nobody told me not to play an FPS with a steering wheel

Question. I have these four game types in mind:

>A
A game where challenge is the main draw, and has no Easy mode (FROM game with no "mage" form)

>B
A game that's pretty and has empowering, larger-than-life mechanics but is still so brutally hard that you don't make progress, and has no Easy mode

>C
A game like B but with an Easy mode that lets you see everything, and prevents you from dying for hours at a time (Devil May Cry 5)

>D
A colorful, story-driven game with gameplay that has no difficulty setting and looks potentially challenging, but has invisible guardrails only bad players will run into (Undertale)

What is an example of B?

Sekiro already fucking has an easy mode. It's called not ringing the demon bell.

Funny how all journalists always share the same opinion isn't it.

the only game I can think of is hotline miami, and thats reaching incredibly hard

I seriously hope your right. As much as I hate for every game to be like Dark Souls challenge is a good thing. This should not gain traction. We are the customers, not them. They hate gaming and gaming culture.

They should add big anime titties.

thehardtimes.net/harddrive/sekiro-should-respect-its-players-and-add-big-anime-titties/