Pokémon doesn't copy Digim-

>Pokémon doesn't copy Digim-

Attached: scyther_vs_snimon_by_fukata246-dc0cr9j.png (1024x767, 576K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c9V4reazIt0
wikimon.net/Digimon_Accel_Justice_Genome
youtube.com/watch?v=wGNO-KtFzXw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

honestly if you watch pokemon/digimon and youre over 10 just fucking end it man

Soul and soulless

Pokemon existed first, you zoomer

It's almost like they're based on the same thing and are thus bound to have some similarities

Both copied God

This guy gets it.

Scyther came before Snimon.

It does, just not in that case.

Attached: Beat Hit plays in background.png (1280x1280, 762K)

there's a 300 year old illustration of a demon that looks almost exactly like Scyther just in a different art style. At least they tried to make Snimon different.

if I manage to find it, I'll come back to this thread.

Attached: 1280px-Kuniyoshi_Utagawa,_Sceleton.jpg (1280x941, 435K)

Where's Soma?

Snimon is a better design, Scyther is just safe, cartoony, none threatening shit as is the vast majority of Pokemon. Snimon also doesn't suffer from the usual pokemon overdesign issue of unnecessary mech/human/clothing parts. All the good Pokemon designs are the more monsterous ones with cute uguu friendly eyes. Why the fuck does Scyther have human eyes? The one thing gen 1 got right is that most of the Pokemon actually had animal eyes, instead of anime eyes.

Because Pokemon's tough monsters are all about trying to tap into that Toho/Tsuburaya rubber suit kaiju aesthetic.

>Most of the Pokemon actually had animal eyes, instead of anime eyes

What the fuck are you talking about, most of them had DBZ triangle eyes.

Snimon is edgy as fuck tho,looks something straigth from Devianart OC donut steel

I think you got your monster franchises mixed up a bit in that post.

Despite being monsters, people do seem to really like how Pokemon are generally friendly and non-threatening. I do think they've gone way too far in the cute and round direction over the years, but it's clearly a successful design philosophy.

Digimon at this point is suffering a massive identity crisis. Despite how folks in America like to compare the two, Digimon are very distinct from Pokemon, to the point where it's jarring seeing the Digimon that could fit in to Pokemon. Digimon had a very cohesive and strong design sense in its earlier iteration, but ever since, Xros Wars, the franchise seems to have lost itself. There are way too many Mythologimons around, moreso than the armored humanoids that Omegamon pioneered. In some series it's trying way too hard to be Yokai Watch for mysterious reasons, and its best recent games don't take after Digimon World 1, but Persona. The only thing it can agree with itself on is that Digimon Adventure was pretty cool, and they've been beating that horse for a long time.

Is there a word for a multimedia franchise having a mid-life crisis?

Attached: Venusmon.jpg (1020x1200, 220K)

I mistyped a shitload in that post, my hangover is killing me. The overdesign complaint was about Digimon. Digimon also suffers from the nosedive in design quality after gen 1 much like Pokemon, but for a different reason.

This

All of the Pokemon look like they belong in the same universe, but Digimon don't, they're all the over the place

When are Imkyurem Black and Imkyurem White Fighter Mode?

It's easy to point to Waifumons as a microcosm of the problem, but honestly that'd be way too easy, along with Dragons-in-Armor and Mythologimons.

It's like after a certain point, the franchise just lost something: There was legit creative energy in many sections of the Digimon series, and I believe that's why it stuck around so long in comparison to stuff like Monster Rancher and Medabots. But after Tamers, Bandai started treating Digimon much like how Sega treated Sonic. They throw whatever they can think of at the wall, and if it doesn't stick, it throws more stuff at the wall. They only recently started to be consistent with the series' games, which is pretty bad considering the most 'Digimon-like' Digimon game only got an actual sequel almost 20 years later.

I mean, they are supposed to be creatures born of data from computers and by proxy everything they can create.

So it kinda makes sense why one Digimon can look like a cartoony dinosaur, while another can look like a human with wings

It's less an in-universe explanation thing, and more an artistic vision thing. I think it's safe to assume most people liked Angemon and Omegamon, but the idea got pretty well worn by the time we were getting stuff like Chohakkaimon and Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode.

Attached: ChoHakkaimon.jpg (1080x1080, 107K)

This is a Japanese Chinese pigman.

Right basically looks like a simple design by today's Pokemon standards sadly enough.

Current pokemon leans to the "plush toy" look.

see

That was 7 years ago.

Luos and sselluos

>That was 7 years ago.

Damn they have looked like digimon for that long?

I mean this all comes from Japan's fascination for insects anyway.

You first.

Why is it called Commandramon when it clearly is Gun Agumon?

Attached: Commandramon.jpg (320x320, 55K)

I love everything about what I am seeing right now.

Nope

Attached: Japan Championships 2019 Official Art.jpg (1280x904, 303K)

Attached: 【ポケモン公式】童謡「こいのぼり」-ポケモン Kids TV【こどものうた】 0-3 (1920x1080, 1.64M)

Attached: 【ポケモン公式】童謡「こいのぼり」-ポケモン Kids TV【こどものうた】 0-3 (1920x1080, 1.66M)

>Bug pokemon
>Vertebrate painted green
Scyther is gay.

agunmon

Terrestrial invertebrates can't into breathing

The ultimate niggermon

Except that's wrong, retard. Pokémon was born from the creator's love for bug collecting, while Digimon evolved out of the digital pet toys craze that was huge in Japan in the mid-late 90s.

Attached: Zoe blush.jpg (752x1062, 109K)

He was referring to these two monsters in particular you dumbass

>Draw a blonde blue eyed character with fair skin in a show full of brown/blue hair
>Claim she is still ethnically Japanese and just lived in Italy for her childhood

Still wrong, retard.

Nigga, did any of the kids ever look exactly Japanese?

Attached: Sora.jpg (250x500, 12K)

Attached: Slowpoke.png (2282x2087, 169K)

I think they're too lenient on what Digimon gets created. It comes off as if they've given game devs, digivice devs, anime creators, card game, manga,etc. free reign to create any Digimon of any stage whenever they want.

Instead of having to make a Fresh, In-Training, Rookie, Champion, Ultimate and Mega. It just seems like they have studios who want to create however many Ultimates/Megas they want and they get stapled onto a random line. Which is how shit like Mythologies or the Royal Knight wank they had before can happen.

They need a hardass to take control of the series who tells everyone to fuck off unless they actually design proper digimon lines.

>cherrypicking with a pokemon who's whole thing is being a fucked up messy mishmash of two pokemon.
It's barely even a pokemon to begin with, doesnt even have its own pokedex number.

At least it usually follows a set logic depending on the series/canon. Games are more flexible and thus a Digimon can just about evolve into nearly anything, whereas in the original series (Adventure/02/Tri), there are some pretty strict patterns in the evolutionary path of certain mons (Agumon always becomes some kind of "Greymon" upgraded or whatever) and only changes certain evolutions for mons who might not have (at the time) a certain evolution stage like the ones who didn't get shit until Tri.

If Pokemon copied Digimon, they would try something new instead of rehashing the same game with the same soulless models every year.

>scyther was designed well before the games launched in 1996
>snimon didn't appear until 1999
try harder op

Attached: 1540769947211.jpg (720x480, 75K)

>both based on mantids with an emphasis on their forelegs as scythes
No, they're absolutely based on the same thing.

I don't really mean the main characters. I mean the supporting cast. It's very easy to tell that there are Digimon of certain stages(Ultimate and Mega) that were created with absolutely no regard to what they evolve from or to until after the fact.

I'm just saying that the case that can happens allows 'archetype' wank because they can make 10 fully evolved entries of an archetype without having to design anything but the Mega form. That it'd be less likely to happen if it required them to design 50 and have approved Digimon in order to make the 10 they're obsessing over.

They're still very different, dipshit.

Both games stole from reality what now faggot?

At this point archetype wank as you put it cannot be helped. Includes a lot of already popular guys, so those get used more often, which gets them more fans.

there's still plenty of creative energy in digimon. it's just relegated to games and manga.
the real problem with digimon isn't bandai, it's toei. the anime is a lot of people's gateway to the franchise, and people still love adventure, tamers and savers, but the rest of the series range from mediocre to an abomination. they've now resorted to milking adventure nostalgia because they've run out of ideas, and they even suck at that. bandai needs to give digimon to sunrise already and stop letting toei tarnish the reputation of one of their best ip's.

Attached: 1546095262797.jpg (1280x720, 171K)

If digimon is so great how come they don't have a single good video game in 20 years?

Yea, it sucks they won't try something like Frontier again where the humans get Digimon powers. Wouldn't even have to be the same exact thing (meaning, not quite a sentai/Digimon hybrid), but maybe something like the kids can copy and morph parts of themselves into Digimon, it'd at least be something different.

Attached: Agunimon transformation.webm (640x480, 2.87M)

The "issue" as I see it is that the games (and to lesser extent the mangas) need more new antagonists over protagonists. The big bad only needs one form, since it's not something the player will have until postgame.
The animes have more main characters, and to fulfill an arc get their own unique line of Digimons to pal around with. It's a lot harder to do that with a villain or supporting character without taking focus away from the heroes' story, which has always been the focus in Digimon.

So the only real solution is to make less villains and secondary forms and more protagonists that aren't self-inserts.

frontier was awful. that gimmick completely missed the point of why people like digimon: the tamer/partner dynamic.

Cyber Slut is far more of a game than Pokemon Let GO by a country mile.

>god
No wonder you're still talking about pokemon and digimon.

Again with the shilling of incinerfag

god copied my dick faggot
now suck it

yeah it's way less popular than even primarina idk why they shill that shitty fursuit so hard

I dont know scyther was pretty threatening looking to me
When this giant green asshole jumped out of the grass on me during red while I was trying to figure out where the guy who gives surf is I immediately knew Id have to have this fucker and spent like 2 hours catching one
Same thing with aerodactyl I immediatly binned my fearow for him

Attached: CckDsqTUsAAFaJu.jpg (280x280, 25K)

>people still seething over baracat
>no one bats an eye at TPCi shilling Eevee as a mascot on par with Pikachu

Eevee and its evolutions are some of the most popular mons of all time and don't look like mascot costumes.

Eevee was always popular. Just took some running the asylum to get it in promotional materials.

The thing about digimon is Bandai at least let fans create their own digimon and those digimon end up becoming real and used in different digimon media. Japan would host a lot of create your own digimon contests for kids in the past. The 3rd season of the digimon anime also did just this, MC drew his own badly drawn digimon and it became real. Whereas with pokemon they just get 1 artist to come up with and do a hundred mons every gen, so of course digimon's designs are going to be all over the place because different people come up with their own designs.

I can't deny the popularity, but is certainly feels forced and corporate to prop up the little shit as an equal to Pikachu after 20 fucking years.

TPC plans out the generation's marketing well in advance. They didn't expect Primarina to be popular, but they did expect Incineroar to be, so they planned accordingly and it's too late to change said plans now.

It was fine until the last arc, and even then that was only really hampered by the fact that they made the leader/rival kids the only ones who could even fight for 10 episodes or so before they all got to join into the final fusion form.

Better than lucario being shilled like it was for a decade

Anyone got a good template so we can do one of these again?

Attached: Anbromon line.png (2931x731, 1.56M)

Lucario wasn't shilled for a decade, it only came back to the spotlight after Zoroark failed to catch on the same way

Lucario only came back towards the end of Gen 5

>Digimon invented mantises

Attached: mantis.gif (230x200, 318K)

Most of the contest winners were heavily redesigned from the basis. Like the first set was definitely a "we already made bird/snowman/beetle/plant etc and picked ones that look kind of like it" and ones like Witchmon and Mermaimon have such a long gap seem might have just been same motif popping up.

And was in overtime for Gen 6.

I love robot/mechanical digimon. Those are the best looking ones by far.

Attached: evolution.jpg (683x715, 88K)

Digimon came after Pokemon.

>they're not based on the same thing!
>okay, they are but they're still very different
I'm not even that guy but you should just admit you were explicitly wrong and move on.

Snimon was designed in 1995. It just didn't appear until 99.
Checkmate faggot

Good posts
All I hope is that they reboot the franchise being crude and metal as fuck again

Attached: th.jpg (320x320, 18K)

>sneedmon

ur mom was designed in 1994, bitch

Attached: 1529639607722.jpg (554x603, 199K)

Cyber Sleuth is the most fun I've had playing a game for years

Attached: Digimon-Story-Cyber-Sleuth-Ami-digimon.jpg (800x1422, 585K)

Who said they watch either and are over 10?

Or at least allow the villains to grow and evolve with the heroes. Kind of like Impmon, but not stopping with just one evolution.

Aint going to happen. They had a chance with Adventure Tri and blew it.

Attached: JPxd.gif (250x179, 1.22M)

Like I said, that would take away from the protagonists and their story. The only way that could work is if the big bad turned out to be a traitor in the ranks, or they did a team vs team thing similar to Frontier.

they could've created a new story about them saving the world once again carrying all the weight on their hands but we had high school drama in return

Not really, the kids can still have their story, but have to deal with a villain who's persistent and not going to take a hint and leave after however many defeats. And really, that should be a more common thing with some villains since if power creeps is going to be a thing, both sides should always be getting stronger, not just the good guys.

Jokes on you she died in 93.

eh, there's plenty of room for keramon/impmon-like villains, fully-evolved villains, and even human villains like kurata.

only boomers like digimon more though

The only good thing about Digimon was when the Digimon start to invade the real world.
Digiworld crap is boring as fuck

>Aerodactyl
>found in the grass

Attached: 1543265335847.jpg (840x623, 159K)

Reddit

>Implying anyone on this godforsaken board is over 10

Most humanoid Digimon have something something covering their face and/or eyes. Even here where the monster is largely human, her eyes being covered indicates she is a Digimon.

Does this mean 2B is a Digimon?

Tri really didn't know what it wanted to be.
Part of it is a teen drama involving the Digidestined having to balance growing up and moving ahead with dealing with friends and challenges from the past.
Part of it is some downfall story involving the deeper lore of the Digital World and someone willing to destroy it over their mistakes.
And the worst part of it is a new character arc featuring a character with almost zero active participation in the plot who also becomes a new love interest.

she make my dick diamond, i remember that episode when ranamon tickle her belly, that my first fap

Weren't the first 150 Pokémon drawn up back in, like 1993?

That wasn't implied at all you braindead simpleton.

Nigger you know what I meant
I didnt want to write out "that amber I got from the museum being brought to cinnabar got turned into a fucking bad assflying demon pteranadon

Digimon can't reproduce.

Probably if you make his hair black

Attached: Jyou_-_Image_8980.jpg (421x480, 28K)

I'd kill myself if I ever made posts this retarded.

True, but you wouldn't want too many villains, or at least a complete "villain of the week" setup since that would just make things too clunky. Most of the series knew how escalate things when needed, but I do feel that letting some villains get power ups more often (as Tamers and Frontier were really the only ones that did that to an extent) would at least allow for the tension to rise and fall in more exciting ways. You could have one villain pull out a new form, but this causes one of the kids to gain the power up needed to put them down for good, and then maybe some instances where a villain trounces the kids just to show that it's not always "Good will triumph every time" situation.

Attached: Akihiro_Kurata_anime.jpg (284x212, 13K)

Then where do the digi-eggs come from?

Hey, remember when Digimon did megaevolution first?

i'd rather see them continue to explore the technology aspect of digimon like tamers and the cyber sleuth games did. appmon sort of did that, but wasted a shitload of potential.
oddly enough, i think writing anime/games/manga/etc. for digimon should be sort of like writing an episode of law & order. you know how law & order is famous for using "ripped from the headlines" crime stories? digimon should be doing that with science and technology instead.

>no argument
>huuuuur, you dumb
Try harder, kiddo.

lmao

>And the worst part of it is a new character arc featuring a character with almost zero active participation in the plot who also becomes a new love interest.
I still haven't watched Tri despite Adventure being my favorite show on TV back when it first aired, but you just killed any desire I had to ever do so.

Reincarnation

>tfw making a Digimon fangame based off Dawn/Dusk assets
Any advice for a first-timer?

Attached: 1554643276568.png (484x553, 347K)

>still no argument
Good one, retard. Really showed me.

lmao

Stop stealing my idea.

But Pokemon did it first.
Pokemon also did the whole evolving and then devolving back thing too.
in the video games at least

>Not BanchoLiomon

The two thirds of the digimon movie are unironically fun.

I just want something like the original PS1 game, but with good graphics and the flexible evolution lines where you could get just about any mon you wanted if you knew how to raise your partner. While it wouldn't be open-world, having a huge sandbox to run around in would be great to make the adventures varied as you might have to retreat and train your monster to become strong enough to traverse a certain area.

this is the "canon" line evolution

I make Mei out to be a lot worse than she is. For me I just lost interest with every movie being 70% character drama, 20% exposition dumps, and 10% last-minute action scene.
I like the movie with Joe's character arc though.

Whatever, retard. Keep laughing like the autist you are.

>Snimon also doesn't suffer from the usual pokemon overdesign issue of unnecessary mech/human/clothing parts
Why the fuck are his wings all torn up?

It makes no sense.

>digimon
>new
>soul

hah I can't wait for my monster to turn into another boring human in anime clothes

Don't worry, we probably have different ideas. Unless your game is about going back to the Dawn/Dusk servers years after it shut down and a group of kids and their Digimon fighting a cancerous Virus Digimon that developed out of the program that was meant to wipe the server when it was closed.

I just want the to make the adventure series as an actual JRPG.
I want to be Tai and fight Etemon

Attached: Marcus motivational.jpg (400x300, 118K)

Huge Pokefag here. Back when both Digimon and Pokemon aired in the 90s, I had no problem with liking both of them. Nowadays I have issues with Digimon; It's not even about the designs– I want to like and rewatch Digimon but I can't, I guess it's because I keep comparing it with Pokemon.

How can I start liking Digimon again?

Attached: 1547253554445.jpg (704x396, 36K)

What about Next Order didn't fulfill this for you?
This already happened. It was a PSP game that never got localized.

Even earlier than that. Pokemon got shelved for development of the yoshi gameboy games. Probably like 91 or 92.

There's limits to what I can do with the game's assets but giant wild areas with unique encounters to encourage exploring is a goal of mine.

Well there was that PSP game that retold Adventure, and I think even expanded the plot so the other kids got more evolutions for their respective monsters. Sadly, it never came stateside.

stop comparing it, faggot. they are both different

Make a villain that start as a rookie, one of the things i liked about Beelzemon in Tamers is that we saw him evolve from a little annoying demon to a real scary threat.

By listening to Butterfly on loop and understanding it's a different kind of journey to Pokemon: Pokemon is about personal growth and Digimon is about forming bonds with others.

Literally already on the PSP with a fan translation.

Attached: 1529544165824.jpg (640x1099, 166K)

That's because they were two decent OVAs that got duck-taped together with a Horrid one and a Canadian TV show promotion to compete with the Pokemon Movie.

>Can't even make eye contact and mumbles at his shoes even on an anonymous website
Holy shit lol

No, my idea was more to combine the best elements of Cyber Sleuth and Pokemon gameplay to form the basis of a multiplayer RPG. Though I might make a simple singleplayer game first to learn design, maybe using one of the three story beats I have in my head at the moment.

>be walrus like thing
>turn into a wolf thing
>then turn into a wolf furry
>then turn into the same wolf at the second stage but is also a robot

Iove the shit out of digimon but its evolutions are all over the place

watch it in japanese with subtitles... and start Tamers.

Someone will take this as a challenge.
And that person will likely work at Bandai.
If the folks of the east have terrifying libido.

Oh yeah. Mine's wholly single player so we're pretty far apart. Good luck on yours, it sounds ambitious. I'm not really a good enough artist to make new assets beyond tweaking pixelshit, so to keep it a one-man project I have to limit the scope.

Holy shit! Wow I never knew that.
Was it any good?

Gabumon's actually a Lizard. He's just wearing a wearing a Garurumon pelt because he looks up to them.
It's a weird chicken/egg thing.

Does that actually play like Adventure and control well? I always keep getting conflicting reports of which games are worth playing.

Never played it but always seen it praised.

I've got a pair of mook villains that do something like that, thanks. I've been thinking about expanding their role a bit, sounds like a good excuse to add a secret boss fight.

>Says the autistic retard who decided to reply to posts that didn't even involve him]
Keking at you, newfag.

Appmon feels like the "but that's wrong" to the usual things people say Digimon needs to be more popular.
You have linear evolution and way more Standard and Super grade than Ultimate and God because of convergent evolution.
You have consistent look and concept along lines and can tell how powerful something is by its proportions.
You have stronger focus on the "electronic lifeform" aspects down to the point each one embodies a specific kind of phone application.
A good number of them seem to be the "Missing link" for Digimon that don't have similar counterparts at different evolutionary levels like Resshamon, Mirrormon and Sateramon.

And yet it failed with children and was mostly popular with adult women who like the human/robot characters.

Who are you talking to?

Attached: 1554620956599.jpg (416x314, 16K)

youtube.com/watch?v=c9V4reazIt0
Here's a review that should help.

the absolute state of this incel

Yeah that last one is really really bad. The music choices for the Diaboromon one still blow me away though. I miss the early 2000s.

And he's samefagging, swell.

wikimon.net/Digimon_Accel_Justice_Genome

Cool thanks!
I've just started watching the anime too. I'm halfway through Adventure where Myotismon has just invaded Tokyo and they're looking for the 8th digidestined, I have no idea who it could be but I'm loving this shit so far

holy shit dude stop
I'm getting secondhand embarrassment

It was alright but pretty low budgeted but great if your a fan of the anime. It does a 1:1 adaptation of the Adventure series plus the movies, plus an extra story and some side missions. My only gripe was the story moved a bit too fast or it cut some scenes(no spa scene with Mimi) which made a lot of characters seem worse then they really were.

Attached: 1536583226347.jpg (960x544, 102K)

v-pets and game aren't considered fully canon though

I was always disappointed by the fact that a lot of the digital world including Digimon designs was obviously heavily hinting that that world was created either deliberately or as a by-product of human technology. The abandoned buses and traffic signs; the weird pervy female Digimon; the cartoonish designs and horror tropes and all that stuff. It was like Persona's Sea of the Soul only expressed as a digital manifestation, but the only time they ever did anything with it (sorta) was in Tamers, and oh look, it turned out to be the peak of Digimon.

This

Attached: 1554769558131.png (640x480, 394K)

Loader Liomon as Baihumon's previous form doesn't even make sense. Was designed years after it. Meanwhile you have "new at the time lion" the whole way through.

Well they had to ease into Tamers with Adventure, you can't just go full Tamers when you're trying to appeal to kids and get your franchise off the ground.
Then after Tamers they couldn't really touch that shit again because every kid who ever watched it ended up as a neurotic mess.

Attached: 0q23u43.png (978x683, 725K)

I think I'd have to agree with what people are saying about Digimon in this thread

It kinda just seems like Digimon just stopped being a monster collecting franchise and it doesn't seem like they've ever had some sort of plan of solid consistency. I can appreciate that on some level, but I'd still prefer something.

I mean... there's never really been a Digimon game with an "Everyone Is Here" type of catch, you know? I feel like that's a pretty important attribute that any monster collecting game should have

there's a lot of cool aspects of that game.
it was developed by yuji naka's studio, the same guys who made rodea the sky soldier and ivy the kiwi.
there's also a postgame chapter that brings in all the protagonists from the other seasons for a crossover, which means the best protagonist in the franchise appears in this game.

Attached: 61A475A6-EB47-40EE-A0D2-E81D13961480.jpg (1280x720, 146K)

But Adventure was already kind of like that though, only it was more "Narnia" than "Collective Consciousness".
They tried to go the Narnia route again with Frontier, but the Kamen-Ridermon concept and some really dumb story decision held it back. By now it seems Saver's lore is closest to being the "Official" Digimon backstory, thus you get a lot of Royal Knight wank.

Woff rips-off Pokémon better then digimon ever could

Attached: H2x1_NSwitchDS_WorldOfFinalFantasyMaxima_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 379K)

Hard to say if they had wanted to do something exactly like Tamers from the get go, I think that was just getting diet-Anno around the time they were prepping to do a third series and he just saw what not to do from the first 2 shows. As for another like Tamers, it could work so long as it didn't go all Evangelion on us in the end. Some worldly destruction is fine and all, but the mind rape stuff certainly isn't a requirement.

Original or Dub there's no denying that Post-Leomon took a dark turn in general, that gag dubbing could only cover it up for so long when you got ADR-01's in its entirety.

Also grab assets from Lost Evolution. Other than that I'm a shit ideas guy.

It was only really the first series that was kind of a gag-dub, and even then it was more like a melodramatic adaption than "let's turn this entire thing into a big joke" since you still had many of the emotional moments retained like the various deaths in the penultimate arc. Still, it was so odd how they altered the scene with Henry and his dad.

what's doing petit-gatomon here.

Bandai doesn't even know how many Digimon there are and the Digimon Reference Book is still incomplete after over a decade. Not helped by ambiguous "is this a (unique) Digimon?" situations starting from Deathmon's bullshit in C'Mon Digimon and game bosses/npcs all the way to Appmon.

yeah I figured

Ordering and categorizing Digimon is no easy feat

They can poop, so they have at least 2 holes. More than enough

Yeah, really confused me as a kid watching that ending scene.

>Can you ever forgive me son?
>*Shakes his head*
>Dad Cries even harder

I was able to put two and two together based on the actual animations but Jesus fuck, what an amazing soul-crushing screw-up that was. I also remember how laughable the Fox Kids tv promo was where they tried to make it look more dramatic by editing that cop scene to make it look like some of the kids were arrested and had it cut to crying Henry.

Many recent Digimon games have most of the "main character" Digimon that have shown up in various media. In fact I'd say that might be an issue, as it gives other, non-famous digimon less of a chance to shine. I think they're somewhat aware of this too, as the Cyber Sleuth games avoid giving your AguGabu right out of the gate, though you can get Koromon and Tsunomon early.

Attached: Lunamon.png (440x541, 153K)

i really like both
monster collecting is a rare genre these days and i will take what i can
pokemon, digimon, SMT and so on. As long as they feel unique from eachother its all good

Attached: 1554783255684.jpg (480x480, 28K)

konaka actually first got brought in for 02, where he tried to do a whole lovecraft-inspired arc but only ended up getting to make one episode of it (i'm sure you could probably guess which one) because 02 was such a mess behind the scenes. regardless, it shows to some degree that even before tamers, they were looking to take the series in a more mature direction.

whoops, meant to reply to

I'd love to be a drawfag that designs cute monsters for a monster collecting game.

They ditched Dragomon and Daemon and in exchange we got Myotismon for third time, now as a fucking robot.
The only good things I can remember from 02 was Digimon Emperor and Blackwargreymon.

Nothing says you can't do that right now.

GIGA CANNON

Attached: Machinedramon_t.gif (1667x2538, 1018K)

First I would have to find someone making a monster collecting game, as I doubt that Game Freak or someshit would hire me.

Remember in Digimon World 2 how they used the localization attack names but kept the original sound clips?
Jenasido attaku.

If you don't mind me indulging my inner ideas guy: I've been thinking about a Monster Raising Rogulike CRPG, with Digimon as an inspiration for the theme of the game. Something like Digimon World, but for PC and with even more freedom concerning how to tackle the game's main task. The player can raise only one monster at a time, but can gain independent monster allies along the way.

GearHead Arena has a neat system that allows the player to easily edit/add design files for adding new robots, and I think it would be cool to include something similar.

They could have done it subtly. Visually, the environment could have confirmed certain things without it expressly being a certain way that kids see.

Left as it is, the digital world in the Adventure series is just some random parallel dimension they describe using the word "digital" for some reason.

In Tamers, it grew from a simulation program by the older generation of hackers/programmers (Wild Bunch I think). The lesson of Tamers was that, along with the fun, interesting and beneficial technology evolving into something unexpected, so did the bad shit like errors and deletion.

Frontier then went back to "random alternate dimension" with nothing really tying it to being "digital" other than some imagery. Same with Savers, which introduced a digivice that you could put your Digimon into and the DigiSoul, whatever that is. Etc etc, with Xros Wars and the rest. If it's some generic alternate dimension, why even fucking bother with the theme of simulation and digital programs? Why even have cyborg monsters?

ikr?

Attached: 85778578.jpg (275x183, 9K)

I love Machinedramon, one of my favorites, he was a beast in Digimon World 1.

if it was Digimon, Remoraid would be capable of evolving into Sharpedo and Clawitzer while Octillery would have about 3 more evolutions and its own branched paths

Gib Deep Savers Pokemon

Are you retarded? Incineroar is one of the best Pokemon in the format that poster is advertising. It's literally on 90% of all teams.

Personally, I really dig the aesthetic of the original V-pet.

It was like, the pet itself was a prison to house an extremely dangerous otherworldly animal.

Like Tamagotchi, it would evolve into completed unrelated forms, like from a lizard into a wolf into a fucking cyborg bomb.

Were it up to me I'd do a big celebratory Digimon World-style game with the original V-pet characters.

Shit like Royal Knights and Yggdrasil and Olympus whatevers and Demon lords and blah blah...they were cool when introduced but fucking hell they don't have to appear EVERY single fucking time. Especially not when canon dictates they absolutely MUST be the most powerful beings in existence.

Attached: packaging-digimon-1.jpg (600x800, 105K)

as long as omegamon, dukemon and beelzemon are at the top of the popularity polls, the royal knights and demon lords will always show up in some capacity.

But guys like Duftmon and Barbamon are just coasting on the popularity of other guys in their group.

Ultimates were a mistake.

That's true, but the only reason why those 3 characters are so popular is because of the anime, they were in the best seasons and got the most epic moments.
But nobody gives a shit about Gankoomon or Barbamon.

As much as i disliked 02 compared to adventure, i still found this scene really sad

youtube.com/watch?v=wGNO-KtFzXw

(only found it in german, sorry)

My only guess was that maybe they were trying to make Henry go "No, not yet" like he was forgiving his dad, just not right away. I recall his voice sounded like he wasn't mad, just broken up over the Digimon leaving, but still, such a weird change when the rest of the dub was pretty solid.

>there's never really been a Digimon game with an "Everyone Is Here" type of catch, you know? I feel like that's a pretty important attribute that any monster collecting game should have
SMT doesnt have that either, then again, there are more than a thousand demons.

Oh I know about that, but what I mean is that Toei probably wasn't looking to mind rape kids like Konaka was once he got the director's seat.

I remember that, it was a very touching scene, the best part in all that mess of an ending.
Every season have their great moments (except that second part of Xros Wars were they change the protagonist for a bootleg Davis with bootleg Veemon).

The dub of the scene wasn't too bad either, Jamieson Pierce is a pretty great VA. He's got the range to do silly or serious characters, or ones that are both.

Attached: Jelly Jiggler.png (368x348, 129K)

A mantis monster wow what an original idea, clearly stolen.
How do you even tie your shoes? Theyre straps right?

Jamieson Price is my main man. It blew my mind to find that he was both the dub voice for Chad as well as the Super Street Fighter IV announcer.

Yeah but SMT's MO isn't "hey look at all these unique cool monsters we made" is it

It's similar but it's not the same; it uses pre-existing folkloric figures (sparingly) to tell a story.

I don't want a Digimon game with every single Digimon or even a game about catching them, I want a game like the original Digimon World 1, where you have one partner that can die and you have to start with an egg again, go around exploring, fighting bosses like Meramon or Tyrannomon, and the only actual Mega level is the final boss, which it make it all feel like is a smaller quest than the regular "This digimon is an ultra mega hyper level god type that ate a virus, use your 3 digimons of ultra fused god level to defeat it!".

Attached: 774832c4edf4eef663facad872c99aae.jpg (1920x1080, 215K)