Price dropped to $34

>price dropped to $34

What went wrong?
Why did the NES Classic succeed but the PS Classic fail?

Attached: CA29CE2F-0751-45D7-803F-981EF34F52FE.jpg (2820x2778, 385K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TXGA9JtjrtQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No Primal Rage, no buy.
/g/tards like it because they can crack it and put stuff on the raspberry pi.

>What went wrong?
really poor emulation
>Why did the NES Classic succeed but the PS Classic fail?
decent emulation vs poor emulation

NES Classic has decent emulation and games people want. PS Classic has neither. As always, Sony phones it in when they copy Nintendo.

>no analog
>no power cord
>iffy selection of games though I love myself some Mr Driller
>pal versions
>a bad open source emulator

Because have fond memories of NES and SNES. The hardware itself conjours feel-good comfy nostalgia.

The PlayStation had no such appeal. It was simply a box to play games on. There was no real love of the system itself.

If Nintendo announced an N64 Classic today, it would sell out immediately and be going for thousands on ebay.

yeah it's totally not because they didn't include any decent games on the fucking thing

Attached: 1489282507918.jpg (557x456, 21K)

Poor emulation and poor game selection, Nintendo succeeded because their shit could actually be emulated properly and they actually own most of the beloved classics of their era and sought the licenses for the games they didn't own, meanwhile Sony got lazy on all fronts.

I'm sure the atrocious game selections and Chinese bootleg tier emulation had nothing to do with it.

The NES and SNES Classic libraries were far better chosen overall, they were advertised better, they had better (but still high) price tags, they made a new emulator instead of swiping an ancient open source one from online, they didn't randomly use shitty PAL versions of games for NTSC territories, the Nintendo Classic interfaces are charming and inviting, and it offered more official features (PSC didn't offer more than one save state and IIRC it didn't offer different screen modes either).

Plus in a shitty way the Nintendo Classics were helped further by the Switch having no classic games for a long time and then an incredibly shitty successor to Virtual Console. PSC doesn't offer much different or compelling when PS4 already offers many (if not all, I'm not familiar) of those PS1 games, plus more that really should've made it on the PSC.

>The PlayStation had no such appeal.
>People aren't nostalgic for the PS1
>thinks the N64 has more appeal
This maybe one of the most retarded posts I've on this board, which is saying something.

he's right and you're unironically leaking tears from your asshole

>no dual shock
>bad lineup
>bad emulation
literally just sony lazily copying nintendo again

The NES had games.

Sony doesn't actually own most of the games that are popular on their consoles. That's why it's much more expensive for them to make a classic console that people would want to buy, since they'd have to pay a bunch of third parties.

samefag

There was a cord, it’s the plug that’s missing

Sony has never copied nintendo

It's likely that Sony had this idea years before the Snes Mini and a Nintendo spy stole it

There's that but it doesn't excuse the absence of the classics they did own, no fucking Gran Turismo 2, no fucking Ape Escape, Twisted Metal 1 instead of 2 for starters.

The real reason right here.

>Put the only PS1 Ridge Racer with analog support on the collection
>No stick

I know you're just shitposting for the lols but there are people who believe this.

The playstation is the succesor of the SNES for kids playing games at the time. You used to sell/trade your SNES for a PSX.

do the controllers work with PCs? I might get one just for those

I can't wait to see even the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini wipe the floor with this in sales and quality.

>457926080
Low effort just like the PSC. Not worth a (You).

Is this thing easilly hackable to add good games to it? Might be worth buying now if it is

here's the (you) that the user try to steal from you

>Mediocre game selection
>Gross UI

That's really enough on its own to kill it. Nintendo knew exactly which games to include, and also had a much more iconic library to choose from.

>raspberry pi 10$
>can emulate everything up to ps1

Kek you mini cucks are worst than loopboxer buyers

Worse emulator than epsxe, and that's an accomplishment

It can be hacked but the built in emulator is bad, some people are literally buying just to rip it apart and shove a Raspberry pi in it.

shitty game selection and shitty emu.

>SNES Mini emulates PS1 better than the PS Classic

Attached: 1547803494357.jpg (300x300, 54K)

>couldn't even get SotN, or Crash/Spyro games
>SNES Classic has more Square games than the PSC
That's fucking humiliating.

Attached: 1549985484424.gif (675x227, 73K)

>PAL versions
essentially this. true blue emulations would've had most games running a consistent Hz but some game ROM Hz rates were dropped to half.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted yet

>tfw bought it at release for full price
:(

All the worthwhile PS1 games ended up on PS3 or 4 anyway

Because the NES and SNES had good games that aged well, the SNES in particular.

This thing is a real bummer. I would have loved to get one to go with my NES and SNES classics since I'm a giant nostalgiafag, even if the game selection could be much better. It's the shit emulation that kills it, and the bare bones options. No amount of price cuts can make you want a shitty product.

Which sucks because every few months I'll pull out the SNES and just binge on RPGs, Zelda and Yoshi, and the whole thing is the closest experience you can get to playing an actual SNES. It's a bummer that the PSC just shat the bed in that regard, it has enough good games for the price.

Attached: 1554742221252.jpg (672x777, 43K)

The PS1 didn't have decent games to include.

Why?

(You)

If they included a High res mode (render at 640x480 or 800x600) and Smooth textures (trilinier filter) they could have sold it as a "see the PS1 classics like you've never seen it before" and hooked more of the passing normie crowd then they did.
There is a TON of little things they could have done but didn't

He's right though. Nintendo always steals from sony

Nah, the thing had a library almost on par with the SNES but the problem was that Sony didn't own any of them and they b wanted to be as cheap as possible with it.
I mean, if the thing had both BoF games I would have considered dropping money on it.

That's on your dumb ass. News about it only kept getting worse leading up to and after its release.

>far better chosen overall
This shit is impossible to do with PS1
Every retard on the internet had his own TOP20 and they were very loud about it too.

>Had Parasite Eve
>But only in Japan, a region that normally doesn't like horror games
What the fuck were they thinking?

The best part about this is that now we can officially say that the PS3 has no games, the PS4 has no games and the PS1 has no games.

Where's that image of the grim reaper knocking on doors when I need it?

>the PS1 has no games.
No. Fuck you and your memes, you won't be dragging my Nostalgia with it you fuck

I only wish Sony could appreciate their legacy as much as we do. They spit upon it.

Attached: 1500890613008.png (629x991, 285K)

>Nah, the thing had a library almost on par with the SNES
Cute.

I thought it looked cool

I didn’t follow the news, I just kinda thought ‘how could Sony fuck something so simple up?’

>mfw it's fucking real
the absolute fucking state of snoy of america holy jesus fuck

What the actual fuck am I reading?

I got one of these and modded tbe fuck out of it and now it's one of my favorite consoles I own

That's not a bad deal for 2 USB playstaion controllers tee bee aych

I've literaly never heard anyone say the PS4 is better than the PS1 or 2.

Attached: 1544-3.jpg (642x384, 27K)

I’m sure the zoomers say that all the time

Sounds like something someone who doesn't play videogames would say

How sad that a person like this is in charge of vidya

How to fix the psclassic
Step one: take a pstv that were going for like $20 at one time
Step two: add support for the dual shock 4 headphone jack
Step 3: put it inside a psclassic shell
Step 4: load it with a selection of games people want
Step 5: sell more psx games via psn

Shut the fuck up. Sony doesn’t do things that make sense anymore. I’ve hired a few hitmen that are on their way now to take care of you. Please be near the door for the rest of the week.

I already have a PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP classic

Attached: Sony-Fat-PS3-555x328[1].jpg (555x328, 19K)

You sonyfags are insufferable. Go falseflag somewhere else.

post link

Not enough. If you want higher resolution than you HAVE to emulate an artificial z buffer. Of course that would require better hardware than the raspberry pi 1 shit they put in there. I think only PGX can solve those texture problems and that just needs more horse power.

>If you want higher resolution than you HAVE to emulate an artificial z buffer.
...No you don't. Sure it looks better with z buffer correction but emulators have been doing it without for like 2 decades, some of which run on a Rpi.

false scarcity

Oh please that's never been true for anyone.

>in denial over 20 year old console war
Evidence is in the sales.
No one bought the psclassic, meanwhile nintendo 64 games still sell for more than a playstation classic itself. And internet users want n64 games on switch. No one wants ps1 on ps4

Is this thing worth it just for the two first party controllers alone? I wouldn't mind having those. Plus if the machine itself is easily hackable for games, even more so.
I very briefly held one of the PS Classic controllers and it felt weird, different and cheap, unlike the original PS non analog pad.

Yeah and it looks like absolute dogshit. You literally couldn't notice these problems on original hardware due to shitty resolution and blurry screens. If they actually wanted to provide the original experience then they HAVE to deal with it, even in original resolution, or they should have just put a proper ntsc filter on it. only pc fags think upscaled un-PGXP'ed ps1 games look good.

Dumbass.
They literally JUST TRIED AND FAILED to copy Nintendo direct’s formula

>You literally couldn't notice these problems on original hardware
Are... are you fucking joking? You could see it plain as day even at native resolution on a RF connector, especially with complex or large models.
You might want to go back and hook up a PS1 and see, you're remembering it with rose tinted glasses.

Nothing went wrong. It was rushed to benefit from christmas season but failed, as projected by everyone.

Because sony is shit, they tried to copy the master again and failed again.

Nintendo wins again.

>Comparing the PSclassic to the actual fucking PS1
>No one wants ps1 on ps4
Jesus you're a fucking idiot

>N64 kids are actually using this shitty knockoff to justify their shitty console choice as a kid

Attached: 1382649907506.png (800x831, 66K)

maybe because you can literally play ps1 games on any ps3 or even buy them digitally for 5€ each
if they ever made a PS2 classic with at least GT3, GT4, midnight club 3, GTA:SA and Wild Arms 3 I'd buy it day one but it will never be because the licenses for the cars probably expired

Imagine the mount of shovelware, woah...

You have to understand, most sonyfags here haven't touched anything below a ps3.

I was a kid with a

>maybe because you can literally play ps1 games on any ps3 or even buy them digitally for 5€ each
PS3 emulation is hot shit though.

Yes, imagine

Attached: 220px-M&M's_Kart_Racing.png (220x308, 126K)

Quality over quantity snoyboi.

>SNES actually had close to 1,700 games
>Wii now has over 1,500 games
I know it's an old image made by a retarded fanboy, but I felt compelled to point that out

You know even if you're disappointed with the mini itself the two controllers you get are excellent, worth buying just for them alone.

Trips don't lie

Shame the N64 had neither

Because the game selection was pretty iffy
The price was kind of iffy too
As well as no AC in the box I think and no dual shock,
Just very underwhelming overall
The worst part was the emulation being shit too.
Low effort yielded low results
Not that the NES/SNES probably took much more to do right but ive used each one at friends places and they all work fine
I'm a collectfag anyways so I'm more interested in seeing how the Polymega turns out

I have no idea why PS4 and Xbox One is even a thing considering what little of exclusives they have are hardly even worth discussing. Even most of classic PS3/X360 era games eventually found their way on PC.

If you're a core gamer and you buy consoles you are a certified retard.

Attached: 1554744041993.jpg (1280x720, 110K)

Please stop replying to Eric everyone.
I mean, he's not going to stop shitposting either way but the least you can do is ignore him.

Terrible controller, terrible emulation, half assed selection of games, bad features (only 1 savestate, really Sony?)

/g/tards wouldn't bother with this garbage hardware
they would install gentoo and play everything

that last sentence is incredibly ironic considering the salt and passive-aggressiveness of the user that made it

Man, the amount of seething in this imagine is unreal. Ever think maybe the reason people shit on Sony fans isn't because of their choice in consoles, but rather because they are immature and obnoxious as illustrated by this picture?

The only people who say this are casuals. The N64 saw the pinnacle of multiple franchises.

Attached: playstation_versus_ultra64.jpg (871x459, 133K)

People here really like to overate the PS1.

It was always shit.

>no RE3/3
>no Dino Crisis 1/2
>no parasite eve 2
>no breath or fire
>no ape escape
>not even some unknown gems like Powerslave
>only FF7, no tactics/8/9
>no Spyro
>no Armored Core
>no Chrono Cross
>OG controller, no DualShock
>lazy menus designed by one chinaman that looks worse than unofficial homebrew

Fair enough. We had a 26'' screen and it was very viable, but I could see it being largely obscured with anything 18'' and smaller.

...why DID the N64 have so few games? Seriously half as much as the Gamecube? What the fuck?

all of those are shit

Jesus Christ I would suck a dick for an N64 mini
If they could get Final Fantasy 7 on N64 that would be the ultimate fuck you.

It was fantastic for anything but action games. Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Castlevania, all worth the price of admission.

Quality over quantity.

I have to agree and I don't even play on PC, the only system I've been able to justify this gen is my Switch.
Hell I only have like 3 ps4 exclusives since they lost DQ Heroes and Builders.

3rd parties didn't like making games for it because cartridges were more expensive than CDs.

People finally saw how shitty those "plug-and-play" consoles actually were and didn't want to support such an obvious cashgrab
I'm kinda glad it failed, it put some sense into Sony to stop those shenanigans early on and care about about their actual consumers instead of nostaligiafags

Nintendo has always suffered from its handling of 3rd party developers, no one wants to develop for them if there’s another option.

>It was fantastic for anything but action games. Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Castlevania, all worth the price of admission.

It was pathetic when compared to the Nintendo 64. No wonder Nintendo is still successful, even with trash hardware.

Because FMVa were the hot new shit for video games and every third party developer wanted them in their game. While the N64 could play them the carts themselves didn't have enough space to hold so many so they just decided to skip the n64.

I hope no one actually thinks this is a Nintendo fan.

People like to call Sony "arrogant", but there hasn't been a videogame company more arrogant than Nintendo during the SNES/N64 transition
The arrogance of Nintendo is precisely the reason why Playstation even exists in the first place

Zoomers are such spoiled little shits. It's still like a quarter of the price just to buy a PS1 and FF7 back in the day. You don't want to drop 34$ on a +60 hour adventure but you'll gladly pay the same amount to see two movies? Faggots.

Pretty convinced at this point that it was just a fad and only people who had it as a kid defend it. Well and people who love the nongames that are RPGs.

Dev kit cost way more
Sony was much more supportive of 3rd party devs (troubleshooting code, providing up to date specs, dev tools, etc)
Cart manufacturing was not cheap and ate out of the publisher/dev's bottom line
Etc, etc.

There was a lot of just flat out practical reasons from a dev's perspective to go with the PSX. Cheap to dev on, Sony provided good support and tools, cheaper to publish, cheaper to manufacture.
Nintendo has gotten better about it but there has been plenty of stories about poor support of 3rd parties with the Wii U and Switch even (there is a LONG article about the development of Zombi U where they were never provided with the final hardware so they never truely knew if their game would even boot when it was shipped)

Shit games. Shit emulation.

Yeah State of play was so dogshit
The only games they announced I was interested in were already revealed at the Nintendo direct Crash Racing and MK11
Everything else Dog shit just VR dog shit.

>but there hasn't been a videogame company more arrogant than Nintendo during the SNES/N64 transition
That wasn't exactly arrogance as much as it was quality control. There's a reason why we had a flood of shovelware on the ps1 and all popular systems after.

Those are two literal boomer consoles. The PS1 was being used as recently as like 2004, and even people born well into the 90s grew up with it for a while.

Just another Snoy falseflagger. There wasn't much of a rivalry back then; if you hadn't played at least 5 games on both the N64 and PS1 then you were basically retarded and didn't know shit about games. Because they were that good.

I don't think anyone does

Sony's styled their console message for the last 13 years around the importance of most powerful(console) hardware and act like their old games aren't even worth playing . Why the hell would sony expect their own audience to buy a device to play PS1 games when their own branding suggests that there's no point?

Seriously who in the everliving fuck though it was a good idea to remove the sticks?
I get saving money but no fuck you
That was a dickhead idea and you should be ashamed of yourself

the PS1 had the SOCCER game, the AIRPLANES game, the REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR game, the ESPIONAGE game, the FIGHTING game
now how the fuck do you think this isn't enough to btfo the manlet italian plumber

I wish, all my stores are still selling it for $60

I just like the SNES controllers

id say mainly the games. there was only a handful of good ones

>release ps1 Classic
>don’t have the Spyro and crash trilogy along with ctr
They’re retarded.

Nice trips but you’re fucking retarded.

I'm actually okay with paying for emulation, but they need to add something that I couldn't just get better for free from community built emulators. Things like a supported online play infrastructure, or wacky mods that add things to the games that you otherwise couldn't get elsewhere (like how the mega man x legacy collection had the double boss battle mode).

But instead all of these devices or game collections all come with lacking, big standard features and straight up inferior emulation compared to what's already out there. Like the input lag in the recent capcom compilations are inexcusable when modern emulation has runahead which brings the delay down to native hardware on CRT levels

I'll pay but give me something worth paying for jesus fuck

Why would anyone want to pay for extremely poor games?

>pal versions
Wait what? Is this true? How can a boardroom full of people think this was a good idea?

Attached: 1445933748262.jpg (842x2000, 345K)

Shut up and buy the new uncharted Goyim!
You don’t need those old games with soul and effort

This
For better or worse, the core Sony fanbase aren't into nostalgia pandering. That has been true since the earliest days

OG ps1 controller didn't have them so I guess they thought something along the lines of
>they'll like this because it's like an authentic controller!

>not actually used much
How the fuck could you possibly know how much it is or isn't used?

It's more that Sony doesn't want their core audience anymore.

most of the core audience actually stopped playing videogames and is getting married

Bullshit, ps1 had tons of grear games, even from 1995 to 1998. Its more like sony messed up and didnt load it with like 50 amazing games, many of which were exclusive or still are ps exculsive.

The reason I brought a PS4 is because my normie friends wanted to play Black ops 3 with me but I didn’t have the system.
I got it, Watch dogs 2, XCOM 2, Horizon Zero dawn, Persona 5 and KH3
But 7 games for 4 years of ownership is ridiculous.

Long time Yea Forums user here. The Raspberry Pi may initially seem like it's much cheaper than the Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ Classic Mini™, however the actual price of the Rasperry Pi is actually dramatically higher when you account for the other peripherals you need in order to use it.

Nintendo® Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ Classic Mini™ - $79.99
Total cost - $79.99

Raspberry Pi 3 - $35.00
Micro USB power supply - $20.00
Raspberry Pi 3 case - $50.00
256 GB SDXC MicroSD card - $199.99
AudioQuest Diamond 16m (52.49 feet) Braided HDMI Cable - $13,499.75
LG Electronics 98UB9810 98-inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV - $39,997.00
Bose Lifestyle 650 Home Entertainment Surround-Sound System - $3,999.00
Harley Gaming Futon with Speaker - $431.49
Oceanside house in Laguna Beach, California - $29,500,000.00
Frosted Cookies and Cream Pop-Tarts, 12-pastry packs x 10,000 - $165,200.00
Total cost - $29,723,432.23

Additionally, in order to actually play Nintendo® games on the Pi, you have to pirate them. You wouldn't steal a loaf of bread from a starving child, and pirating our video games is no different.

The emulation is godawful and the game selection is just embarrassing.

XCOM 2 I hope you also have it on PC

PSN. I'm sure they have ways to track what you're playing, watching, whatever.

He's right, I had to declare bankruptcy after building one.

Tracking what? PS4 doesn't have any backwards compatibility to track.

You literally named every "realistic" genre in the industry. Absolutely zero nostalgic value.

Crash
Spyro
Final Fantasy
Buzz Lightyear Starcommand[/spoiler
Toy Story 2 unrelated, it's better than Spyro and Crash combined.
Ape Escape
Metal Gear Solid
Goemon
Digimon World
Tenchu
Silent Hill 1
Namco Museum
Resident Evil
HARRY FUCKING POTTER
Spider-Man
Grand turismo
Twisted Metal
Parrappa the Rapper
OddWorld

Attached: 1554822056169.png (598x628, 383K)

Most people want new and exciting games. Old games were fun then but we've moved on. Nintendo has a special mind break situation going with their fans where they make the latter beg for old and rehashed shit.

He's talking about the PS3.

They should’ve googled PS1 controller
Literally 1st result is a dual shock PS1 controller

Attached: 7BDE13A9-B13A-4DAD-A5CB-C8C742C3F03C.jpg (500x500, 61K)

That would still only apply to PS1 games for the vast majority of PS3 owners.

>pal versions
Not only that, but PAL versions with framedrops. It's stunning how badly they fucked it up.

He said the original controller.

I was orginally gonna buy it for pc but that at point I went like 8 months without buying a single video game

Nobody cares about the Playstation the way they care about any classic Nintendo console.

>No Ape Escape
>No Valkyrie Profile
>No Parasite Eve
>No Tomba 2
>No Silent Hill
>No Heart of Darkness
>No Klonoa
>No Die Hard Trilogy
>No fucking Ape Escape
>No Soul Reaver
>No Chrono Cross
>No Fear Effect 2
>No Tarzan OR Hercules
>No Croc 2
>No goddamn fucking Ape Escape

Why the FUCK should I even bother with this shit?

Sometimes it’s ok to slightly forgo nostalgia if the upgrade was infinitely more popular, cherished and remembered
Same reason why the SNES Classic has hdmi instead of RCA cables

on top of shitty game choices

Sony fanboys aren't gamers.

Every time you see a thread made by some arrogant, over defensive Sony fan all they do is tout their exclusives like they are some shining gift from god. They go to Wikipedia or some other source and find every single PS4 exclusive that is coming out in the next 1-6 years and put it up on a pedestal. Every Sony fanboy will instantly lap up any shit that Sony drops on them as long as it is ONLY ON PLAYSTATION, even after it inevitably flops.

We Nintendo owners are a different breed, we are gamers. We enjoy playing games rather than arguing about them. We don't care if a game is exclusive. If we are saving the princess as Mario or if we are saving the princess in Zelda, we are enjoying ourselves and we could care less about whether or not some other person is enjoying it on an emulator.

To a Sony fanboy it is all about bragging rights and being able to justify their purchase on the internet. To a Nintendo owner it is all about playing and enjoying the games that are available.

Ok, PS4 fans, I've got a question for you.
Why, if your console is so great, do you defend your console so aggressively?

Don't tell me that nintendofags are the ones who post the most assaults. It doesn't take a lot of lurking before you find posters comparing their systems, favorably to PS4. It's clear that people who defend the PS4 are the loudest and always ready to respond to any opposition. It definitely seems equal, if not MORE, than any console following on Yea Forums.
To me, I would think that if I had the best console, I wouldn't need to defend it with such hostility; I would enjoy it, and not be bothered by criticism, because I would know that it's not true and that the PS4 has justifiable qualities.
So, why is it everyone who is a fan seems so humorless? When someone makes a joke about the Playstation's game list, why is there always a compulsive reply listing the games on the console? Why do they miss the point?

Interestingly, Sega had their hand in it as well. Sega of America was somewhat afraid of the way Saturn's hardware was turning up, so they figured they'd strike a deal with Sony to design a joint console and split all hardware costs/profits while keeping all publisher profits separate. The plan would've heavily favored Sega since they had orders of magnitude more experience on the software side of things, but that didn't stop Sony from liking the idea and being fully on board. However, Sega of Japan called off the deal because they thought Sony didn't have a chance in the market and because fuck SoA's gaijin ideas, this unsurprisingly didn't sit too well with the people at Sony.

PAL is Playstation: the region, whereas Xbox owns America and Japan has been Nintendoland during the Wii and Switch eras. They have to sell to the people who buy their products.

It is a bit weird how Sony managed to land so many important exclusives while Sega, Nintendo and all the rest didn't get shit.

Because Sony didn't give a shit. Aside from their 3d policy they just let third parties do whatever they wanted.

ps fans have had 3 good consoles after this one, out of which 2 out of 3 were backward compatible with ps1. so there's no need for it.

Such a cop-out. Neo Geo had no restrictions either and all they got were 50 street fighter clones.

>uninformed unironic soitendo answer
It has no games
>informed answer
They cut corners with cheap hardware and a bad emulator and used the objectively inferior PAL versions of the games, and the game selection despite having some really good picks also went with games that were historically relevant but did not age well which brought the library down overall
Apparently its all been cracked now though and is good for a living room emulation box at that price point

>Neo Geo had no restrictions either
No? Pretty much only Sony let them run rampant.

this is the future of playstation. a shitty product that was made in north america first. if ps5 r&d goes anything like this sony is dead.

Sony was throwing around hundreds of millions of dollars to third party developers to prevent them from supporting the competition. It straight up killed SEGA. Notice how no one seems to bring up how no one supported the Saturn or Dreamcast either.

The PS1 was a console that found '''''success'''' by trying to outspend the competition. In the end it failed- the PS3 destroyed most minor third party developers. while underappreciated consoles like the N64 and Gamecube have built up a genuine, healthy fanbase who love their games.

Great bait, made me reply

Neo Geo had sex and violence surpassing what Sony would allow and they're not even the best example. The PC engine had actual licensed porngames. Sony didn't do shit.

He's not wrong. Why do you think smaller developers are practically dead now?

The PS4 was made in North America and this is what saved Sony after the disaster of the Japan-concieved PS3 and the failure of the Japanese-centric Vita
Learn more before posting

How are the dpads on the controllers? It's getting to the point where it's worth grabbing just to get 2 USB PC PS1 controllers.

The PS3 part is true to some degree, the SEGA part is bullshit

People actually like the N64 and Gamecube- no one likes the PS1 or PS2.

>Haze killed Free Radical
>Lair killed Factor 5
thanks snoy

Sega killed themselves with a bizarre conga line of constant poor decisions, if Sony did anything, they were just standing nearby when they were handed the burial shovel.

Same problem as PSASBR, Sony doesn't actually own any of its iconic sony IPs.

Attached: 3422342343.png (164x1600, 538K)

Nobody likes either of these consoles
Early 3D in general aged badly, which is not the case for late 2D which aged greatly
Why do you think indie devs go for sprite-based platformers instead of low-poly 3D, eventhough he latter is probably easier to do with modern engines ? That's because nobody wants them

Because the games were fucking garbage?

What do people remember from the PS1?

>THPS2
>Crash Bandicoot
>Tomb Raider
>Spyro
>Metal Gear Solid
>Resident Evil
>FF7

And I think 1 of those ended up on the console? Fuck off

We need a new version with Joker.

It's a weird business strategy, considering that having last-gen games on the store seems like a sure-fire wayto just print money.

What's weirder is that they seemed to be more committed to it with the PS3, which had a pretty solid selection of PSOne games and quite a few PS2 games. I wonder how the cost/benefit ratio turned out for that, and maybe they thought it wasn't worth it. Same thing on the Wii, which had basically every worthwhile game from previous consoles available on the store.

Attached: 0h5iys9e99e11.gif (540x304, 1.63M)

Literally everything about it except the form factor wand box art was fucking terrible
>digital controllers
>poor emulator
>bad lineup of games
>included PAL versions of the few good games which run at 50hz.
>barebones interface

It’s just a shockingly bad product. It’s like no one who works at Sony owned a PS1 growing up.

sony doesn't have the same legacy that nintendo does. all of their best games are 3rd party or multiplatform. also the product itself is fucking garbage. the controllers are garbage, the build is garbage, the emulation is garbage and it had no fucking games.

Attached: 1533283690932.jpg (233x216, 4K)

>Early 3D in general aged badly,
On ps2 and xbox mostly.

They probably thought they could make more money from overpriced paperweights with an USB port and roms.

Attached: 1386388117566.jpg (800x600, 184K)

Is this worth getting for 40 usd?
Can you mod it and is it even worth trying with this thing?
I might save my money for the cheap switch revision if it is good enough.

This is the same PR speak they gave last gen about "who wants rumble?" because they didn't have it at the time.

No

>What went wrong?
There is only so much retards ready to buy cringy overpriced toys with an underoptimized emulator.

Attached: TPB_lives_forever.png (566x469, 100K)

I don't get why they didn't just release it but a bit bigger so it would allow PS1 discs to be run

The absolute insanity of the Playstation Classic is that it did absolutely nothing right. >Outdated/underpowered hardware
>Stolen/copyright infringing emulator(that doesn't work right with their hardware)
>Poor selection of games
>No original DualShock

Honestly, the PS Classic would have been a massive success if it had better hardware/emulation, included a DualShock, and had the following mix of games:

>2 genre defining JRPG's(there were dozens, pick 2)
>3 platformers including at least one Crash Bandicoot(1,2,or 3), and Klonoa
>a racing game
>Tomb Raider (1 or 2)
>Resident Evil (1,2,or 3)
>A Spyro game (1,2,or 3)
>MediEvil
>Metal Gear Solid
>Syphon Filter
>Ape Escape

This would have been a list of absolutely defining Playstation Games that would have not only elevated the brand again, but it would have created an attractive platform for the sale of future digital games. At $5 a pop for other games, it would be easy as fuck for Sony to recoup any loses hardware side.

Attached: 1269998890664.png (480x668, 337K)

>Can you mod it and is it even worth trying with this thing?
Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=TXGA9JtjrtQ

You largely overestimate the number of people who would have been interested in such a product, even if it was made as you described
Every major worthwile PS1 game is available somewhere in a more convienient or effective method, whether on PC via emulation, modded consoles or actual ports/remakes (such as the Spyro, Crash, Medievil ones)
These retro-console have no purpose and are basically cashgrabs for nostalgiafags and collector retards, they do not need effort to be put into

GOAT LIST COMING THROUGH

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo 2
Vagrant Story
Ape Escape
Spider Man
Twisted Metal
Symphony of the Night
Parappa the Rappa
Silent Hill
Tekken 3
Soul Reaver
Crash Team Racing
Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater 2
Driver
Oddworld
Klonoa
Tomb Raider
Siphon Filter
Resident Evil
Wipeout
Tenchu

People would buy that, and that isn't even counting all the sequels and prequels to many of the games. IT could easily have Tomb Raider 2, FFVIII and IX, Oddworld 2, and countless others that I've forgotton or haven't played.

I would buy that, but not if they were the shitty PAL region releases.

This. It would’ve sold if the game selection wasn’t complete trash.

Unironically perfect

Soulless cash grab made by sony who clearly doesnt love their ps1 fanbase.

Thats all there is to it, they did just because Nintendo did it.
At least nintendo, as greedy as they are for trying to bank on "lmao emulation" they still added most big name games on the Mini NES (which is mostly consisted by third party games), and the mini SNES even has a new unreleased game.

Everyone knows sony doesnt care fucking shit about their legacy or old games, they just bank hard on it. They spat on "videogames" for a long time, they clearly dont like be associated with children toys thats why all their line up is edgy gritty try-hard TPS shooters with 2deep4u storyline. or Story-driven interactive movie"games".
They hate the word "fun" just like all their developers.
Just a soulless company doing what a company is supposed to do, trying to make the maximum profit, no homages, no love for the fans or history of the console, nothing.

t. a very sad and dissapointed sony oldfag from the glorious ps1 days.

Attached: 1536879340201.png (700x700, 1.87M)

>That spacing
You're not fooling anyone

You can mod it but it’s not like the SNES Classic where you just load the ROMs and play. At the very least you need a different controller because of analog.

I’d honestly rather just use a PS1 emulator on my PC at that point.

Actual adults being emotionally attached to brands of plastic boxes is the reason this industry is going down the shitter

Kill yourself you literal retard, would you rather have a clumped together wall of text that can assure you nobody will read?
Absolutely end your existance, zoomer.

>Defending the spacing
Yeah fuck off normalfag

The N64 is better.

bing

It nots about the piece of plastic, its what i means to a person.
Videogames are usually tied to fond memories of childhood, like a good friend that was there for you back then now he turned to prostitution or drugs or ridicules himself for petty cash.

Go read a book, nigger.

There it is, hello plebbit!

Then to top it off the Japanese version of the PS Classic has more Square games and a better selection of games in general.

And the cherry on top is that said Square games would do far better in the west and have been proven to

Nintendo fans are dumb enough to pay Nintendo in perpetuity for what they already own.

End of story.

The game selection for all three devices was ass, only to be fixed by hacking. In the PS Classic's case it offered worse emulation than a hacked PSTV, so why would you bother?

Read a book nigger

Attached: 525C6D43-79B6-414E-BB5D-DB81598F9F14.gif (500x294, 494K)

This
It’s all 3rd parties and they can be very protective of their IP

Tragically this. I can emulate any NES/SNES game on my phone, why whould I pay to play it with unconfortable controllers?
PSX classic also has no good games in it while the actual PSX had plenty.

Seriously
FF7 The ps1’s killer app wasn’t on the classic

Attached: 211E4AFA-12F1-4A16-A85D-F74D723DFB10.jpg (684x473, 364K)

The snes controller is the most comfortable controller ever made, zoomer.

Got it for Christmas at full price. Returned it straight away for full price, and then bought one right there for half price. Feels ok man. Only played GTA and just could not get into it.

Um excuse you.
Might be sad but they’re money is still good.
As long as the check is good they can be sad children all day

>I can emulate any NES/SNES game on my phone, why whould I pay to play it with unconfortable controllers?

As opposed to a digital controller on your phone screen?

Plebbit has strict rules against using nigger.
Black users were complaining about getting banned for using nigga.

Nigger they are practically the same controllers I orginally played these games on
Why the hell would I use gay ass touch controls?

> ps1 Harry Potter

Attached: 1413681829460.gif (583x328, 797K)

No Sheep raider

Attached: A46E57F8-3CD8-4AE9-82C9-D24C67A59A2B.jpg (800x670, 54K)

thats actually not a bad price at all for the hardware. thats cheaper than a pi but has similar specs + controller.
hows the hacking scene? is it as amazing as the snes classic scene or anywhere close?
fuck off picuck
good luck actually buying all of the shit for your pi @ the same price. controllers are going to be at least $20 each if you dont want absolute and wont be as good as the snes classic ones. power supply will be about $10 and microsd will be about $10 too if you dont have those already
2 controllers (assuming your virgin ass even has friends) brings your total to $75.
$75 gets you worse ui, no case, a more difficult setup, and less ease when it comes to adding games
the $5 is worth it with how easy hakchi is to use and how pretty much everything is setup already in a neat case.
or you can throw in an extra $15 towards the snes classic for an otg cable and usb drive and play pretty much any playstation, snes, gba, etc. game you want, but you only need the 200mb given if you only want snes, nes, gbc, and a few gba games
t. i own pi2 and snes classic

>Seriously who in the everliving fuck though it was a good idea to remove the sticks?
It was to keep costs down, including analog sticks would have probably doubled the cost of the controllers

>Tekken 3 at fucking 50 fps in 2019
>This is how Sony wants people to remember their console

Attached: 1549744174340.png (783x810, 965K)

Yeah keeps all the costs down when you’re mini console is flopping like a fish and actively eroding consumer trust

It uses an open source emulator on ARM instead of a PlayStation SoC.
It doesn't have an analog controller even though some of the games support it.
It has PAL games for no apparent reason.
It can't emulate games at full speed.
It can't emulate the included games properly without glitches.

Too many stupid racing games.

Sony has sold off a lot of it's older, classic properties to other parties and had to make do with the scraps they held on to. Same thing with the Smash knock off they made.

I'm not defending their decision, that's just likely why they made it.

Attached: jojo_josuke_have_a_you.png (837x794, 131K)

>Primal Rage
my nigga

I know
I just wanted this thing to be decent.
Of course it wasn’t but I hoped it was

No tenchu, no bushido blade, no FF tactics, no twisted metal 3, no jumping flash, no jet moto, no primal rage, no castlevania:SOTN, no dino crisis.

Fuck off fedora warrior.

Unironically has no games

>including analog sticks would have probably doubled the cost of the controllers
Bullshit. Even if they were the case that would probably be abput $10 per controller which is fucking nothing.

Sony never owned Crash or Spyro in the PS1 era if that's what you are implying.

Primal Rage sucks though.

>Sony has sold off a lot of it's older, classic properties
Except they didn't, they just didn't own those IPs period.

stealing someone's emulator and fucking it

No Tekken 2? Kids these days...