How many anons here still have the fatass PS3?

Although Sony made the most arrogant console ever, it was also the most ambitious one. Blu ray, HDMI built right in and most impressively, the exact same hardware found in a PS2 and PS1 (partially for PS1 as the PS3's CPU handled the PS1's processing). Basically you had a PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Discounting the yellow light of death, I've heard it's a rare console these days. I only knew one mega rich friend who bought the fatass PS3 at launch but other than that, everyone else had the Slims. The OG PS3 is the ultimate custom firmware machine as well.

Attached: Five-hundred and ninety nine U.S. dollars.jpg (1200x800, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Answers/View/440780/reballing a PS3 actually works or not , and how long it lasts.
bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=223
xcubicle.com/blog/rework-analysis-reflow-vs-reballing-repair-techniques-ps3-and-xbox-360-consoles
youtube.com/watch?v=1AcEt073Uds
youtube.com/watch?v=bAiM9DX7e7E
youtube.com/watch?v=dKYT6NzsUZQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have my fat but it isnt a backward compatible one. Sometimes I forget they made revisions. That one with the slidey top looks like shit.

It didn't play a single ps2 game I wanted to play without some kinda problems that made it unplayable (like not being able to be played with a ps3 controller) so I traded it in for a slim.

My PS3 I got 10 years ago still works

I still have mine, and it YLOD last year with my Dark Souls 1 disc stuck in it.

Got mine 11 years ago. Played Yakuza 3 to 5 and demon's souls just last year.

Everyone told me that it would break and get a yellow light but alas, still kicking.

There have been 3-5 in my family but they all broke in some way. One of them the disk tray stopped working and it'd eat games and crash, on all the others the power/eject buttons stopped responding (who the fuck thinks touch buttons are a good idea needs to be fired)

I bought mine on release day, still trucking along, only had to send it to repair twice. Once was due to the disk tray refusing to spin the disks so it wasn't reading anything, while the second time had to send it for reballing. That second time was a bit spooky cause the entire system just had a massive stroke and refused to even release the game inside, which was a bit of sticky problem cause it was a game a friend lend me, a game he took AGES to find.

>bought one second-hand for like 80 bucks like 6 years ago for exclusives
>everyone says they die eventually
>still running strong
Shame there isn't really anything I want to play on it these days though

Attached: 1503319556376.jpg (1280x960, 340K)

I still have mine, but lately it started randomly crashing during loading data from BD.
I just hope I will be able to beat Ar Nosurge before it finally dies.

Have a super slim. Can confirm that looks like shit

>optical drive in a Sony console failing

What a shock!

It's been working for the past 11 years and I'm not a digitalfag so that's still a huge success. Everything dies after some time.

>Everything dies after some time.

Sure, but optical drives in Sony consoles tend to fail a little sooner than optical drives in their competitors consoles. My DC, GC, xbox and 360 optical drives are all doing fine. I've had to replace my failed PS1 and PS2 optical drives and right now my PS3 optical drive is on the fritz. Sony always cheap out with the optical drives.

If you still have it you need to DELID your PS3 ASAP. These are getting rarer and rarer because the thermal paste is drying up and these are overheating due to that

Attached: 5744622061.jpg (2250x3000, 693K)

I have a fat one, last time I used it was Persona 5.

I have my FAT, it still works backwards compatible and all that.

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
Pic NOT RELATED.

The PS3 uses BGA on the RSX and CPU.

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

Attached: BGA.jpg (1300x847, 80K)

what a laughably shitty system that was. the 360 was rolling in as a no bullshit, powerful hd console. the wii was appealing to casuals before the iphone came out. the ps3 was a corporation wide event of huffing your own farts and pretending you have alien technology from 2759. games looked and played worse in it. the controller is that classic awful sony controller. psn was a constant joke and its exclusives focused on cutscenes and failed hollywood directors, or anime shovelware for the biggest of virgins. im so so so so so sorry if you only had a ps3 for that generation

>you need to DELID your PS3 ASAP

That is such a stupid idea. It's probably going to cause more YLOD than any hypothetical thermal paste issues.

Ouch bro.

Attached: 1554261311758.png (1844x718, 1.08M)

No idea what you're talking about

Attached: 5744622551.jpg (2250x3000, 698K)

>It's probably going to cause more YLOD than any hypothetical thermal paste issues
Pls explain

Attached: 1553654750982.jpg (183x199, 12K)

Lmao. What a dumbass. Theres horrible dried up thermal paste under the lids that has to be cleaned and reapplied. Otherwise the PS3 will yellow light eventually with enough heat

>TFW when I blindly bought used Fat PS3 but It was the model without PS2 compatibility.

Attached: 1553874230478.png (464x485, 18K)

Old dried up thermal paste cleaned. The glue on the four ram chips doesn't matter. You can just apply new paste over it

Attached: 5744625261.jpg (2048x1536, 667K)

I got a modded fat ps3 at a thrift store. It shows the temp of the cpu and it was like high 80 degrees c just on the os menu. This wasn't even the launch one with ps2 compatibility but the later one. It does seem like their won't be many left if they're getting temps like that.

I bought a super slim to replace my dying fat and I love it. The sliding disc cover is cool as hell and the thing's half the size of a fat

Doesn't need to be. The fat can still read and rip PS2 discs into a format that can be emulated perfectly if you've hacked it.

that is the yellow light of death

Should I delid and replace the thermal paste on muh slim ps3 as well ? I heard those models are more difficult to perform this operation on.

Clumsy amateurs opening up their consoles and fidgeting about with the CPU because some alarmist retard parroting conjecture on the internet told them their console will die if they don't is a recipe for disaster.

Have the 2nd generation fat. Loaded up custom firmware and never looked back. With the entire PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSN library at your fingertips, It's the best console if you don't want to deal with modern gaming at all.

Now I just search used ads and hoard first party PS3 Controllers and accessories, which are getting rarer and rarer by the day.

The fat PS3 is easy as piss to disassemble, it's all Phillips head screws and a few ribbon cables.

On the plus side, I’m still enjoying the Remastered PS4 game. Just a shame that after turning the PS3 off and on a few times, vacuuming the vent for any dust and yelling at it, nothing’s worked.

80 is where the temps go when the thermal paste is dried up. That's the range where the solder is going to crack from continued heating and cooling expansion

I have a fat 60gb launch one. That beast survived everything up to 2017 when i bought a ps4 and it still works today

Fan noise is unbearable now tho, no idea how it survived the yellow light because during that era is when i played it the most

Put it's motherboard to the red-hot oven bro

Attached: 1553727535207.jpg (295x366, 29K)

Uh no. That one's probably ok if it's a later model slim. The early model slims generate a lot of heat though

It's really straight forward actually. And if you don't repaste it's not a question, your fat PS3 will yellow light. It's best to attempt to save it either way and then cover those fucks with Arctic MX4.

Attached: 5744647131.jpg (2250x3000, 789K)

Pic of very minor heat related damage. This is a good quality CPU that's been exposed to low heat. Notice the CPU turning slightly red. I've seen them almost totally red and baked and on the verge of heat death

Attached: 5744640121.jpg (1536x2048, 648K)

I have a fat without the ps2 hardware in it cause it was nearly $200 cheaper at the time. Mine still works 100% fine, never had a YLOD. Just like the rrod it's entirely on the user to not stuff your fucking system in an unventilated space.

>That's the range where the solder is going to crack from continued heating and cooling expansion

Utter crap. It's well within tolerance.

I still have mine from 2007. I'm pretty sure the fans are starting to die since it chugs loudly and I need to always have a fan on so it won't overheat but it still runs pretty well. Persona 5 was the last game I bought for it since I dont have a ps4.

My fat ps3 broke down a few years ago and even after getting it fixed it still didnt last. Truly the most complete console

Total BS. 80s is where the fat PS3s die

The fan is running harder because the system is overheating

Don't listen to this guy. The PS3 doesn't tolerate 180 degrees Fahrenheit or higher well. CPU and GPU should be in the 60s or low 70s, NEVER hit 80.

Bullshit. Standard electronics solder will survive temps much higher than 80. This is all just a load of crap.

Cell can do 85 Celsius actually

PS3 uses cheap lead ball solder that cracks... that's what causes yellow light. It is most likely to warp and crack in the 80s. The CPU itself doesn't die, the solder balls snap

My parents bought the fat one for me and my bros when we we're young. We still have it, and it's working perfectly fine. I thought the fat one was the most common one, tho, hence why I was surprised when I was the thin model for the first time

No, that's all just crap people made up. There's no evidence for it whatsoever. Solder is not the part of manufacturing that is expensive. You don't cut costs there. It would have saved them only a few cents per console to do so.

I have one from release but it died a few months ago. Still got some nice life out of it.

Uh ok then.

Prove me wrong. Show me experimental data that demonstrates the integrity of the solder used in the PS3 is severely compromised by temps as low as 80. Not testimonials from people who swear it's the problem with the console. Actually fucking proof.

ifixit.com/Answers/View/440780/reballing a PS3 actually works or not , and how long it lasts.

bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=223

xcubicle.com/blog/rework-analysis-reflow-vs-reballing-repair-techniques-ps3-and-xbox-360-consoles

phats with ps2s inside them are really cheap

The Problem: As we all know by now, the Playstation 3 (PS3) can suffer from the dreaded Yellow Light of Death (YLOD) and the Xbox 360 can be inflicted with the issue called the Red Ring of Death (RROD). This occurs due to a manufacturer's defect when creating the board and not accounting for the vast amounts of heat generated while playing with the system for long periods of time. Due to heat stressing the GPU (Graphics chip that controls all the fancy visuals in your game), the solder that forms a connection between the chip and the board eventually break. With this break, your system will throw that dreaded Blinking Light of Death error.

The Solutions: Reflow Method Repair - A reflow repair is when the system is taken apart, down to the bare motherboard. The GPU chip is then subjected to heating temperatures of about 300-450 degrees. The high heat is necessary for the solder points underneath the chip to become liquid so that it remolds back into place. After that, the system is put back together and tested to see if the repair was successful or not

Reball Method Repair - A reball repair is the same procedure as the reflow, but with a few more steps involved. Instead of just heating the chip and letting the solder underneath melt, the chip is heated to the point where it can be taken off the board. Now when the chip is removed, there is about 200+ tiny solder points that have to be cleaned off with a soldering iron. Oh, and not to mention that you must clean the board as it also contains 200+ solder points left over from the residue. After all that is cleaned, you have to now align 200+ tiny solder balls onto the chip with a special stencil and mount. Saying it is easy, but doing it is not. This alone is the most annoying and time consuming part of a reball as you pour mass amounts of balls onto a stencil in hopes that each of those 200+ balls are seated properly on the chip. After doing that, you have to remove the stencil and there will always be a few balls being knocked out of place that you have to look for. Once that is done, the chip alone has to be heated to the point where the 200+ balls melt onto the chip and stay there. After that you wait for it to cool. Then, you place it back onto the board and reheat that to melt the chip onto the motherboard. And now you have a reballed system! Sometimes it could be very frustrating if even one ball was misaligned.

had it for a long time after release. it died though ;_; So many great games

Neither of you posting anything relevant to what I asked for. For fuck's sake, the second article isn't even for the PS3 and includes the statement
>Partial cracking isn’t terribly uncommon, and many products work quite well despite such artifacts
While the first is more general and includes the statement
>It is not always a failure of the solder balls which connect the Flip Chip BGA package to the motherboard. It does happen and you can see why on here More commonly however is that the failure is due to the chip design itself.

How does any of this support your position?

I have it , jailbroke her last summer with ps3xploit, best $120 spent (found one on amazon)!

Attached: __yorha_no_2_type_b_nier_series_and_nier_automata__9434b192c39b610d7c5836b06fd7d7b4.gif (360x320, 1.94M)

You sound like a total fucking moron.

The only rare phat PS3's are the ones with the PS2 Backwards Compatibility and the ones with the MicroCard/SD/Whatever the fuck readers

Every other one is an loud overheating large pile of shit that is in every way blown the fuck out by the Slims considering you can now downgrade a fuckton of Slims back to 3.55 and install CFW that way, god fucking damn it i loved my PS3 but it was so fucking heavy and loud and it fucking overheated constantly and i think the NAND or Hard Drive was fucked because some content refused to install and just got corrupted every time, even if i punched a hole in the case it wouldnt have done shit

Attached: 1438056018375.gif (450x402, 1010K)

Totally fine dude. Don't repaste your fat PS3 then

The solder balls are totally OK unless you bend that piece of shit console in half: youtube.com/watch?v=1AcEt073Uds

The """"""""""only"""""""" problem with it is that those chips are complete and utter garbage and the only real solution you have to both YLOD and RLOD is replacing whatever chip is fucked for some known unfucked chip and pray it lasts for a year or so.

Of course thet fact that the fan profile on that thing is completely useless and that the radiator and fan themselves are trash doesn't help maintaining the chips cool either.

Thanks for reminding me that I actually spent $599 on this piece of shit

I won't. No point anyway, the drive will fail long before I get YLOD and I won't care enough to replace it because the only game for PS3 I have worth a damn is DeS.

All that user is saying is repaste your GPU and CPU
If you guys don't want to do that then that's fine.

>no point anyway

Well the original fat ps3s are worth over 250 dollars if working and the drives rarely fail. But yeah, no point, just let that shit fail.

Of course I would do that if my RoachStation didn't have the GPU already fucked. Doing that and cranking the fan to 100% woul be the only way to have the thing survive for at least a few more years that wouldn't involving attaching some real PC cooler to that thing.

Lol, I got one for $80 last month, some mom sold it to me through Craigslist, bet her kids were pissed.

Attached: 2e5915e77b-1486765242892.jpg (1111x597, 492K)

>the drives rarely fail

Now that's definitely bullshit.

Here he is boys, the only one rich enough to buy a PS3 for $599

Was Superman 2 on BluRay worth it?

Says the idiot saying the solder balls in the ps3 don't fail lmao

Attached: 1530074647834.jpg (298x247, 49K)

I have a fat PS3, I bought it off my brother for 100 bucks because he let me play some games on it and I didn't want him to sell it. It is very noisy whenever I play anything.

I have a fat one that i think can play ps2 games
if its hacked can it play ps2 games region free, and can it play ps2 back ups?

i have the ps3 slim i think. i only got it in 2013 once i realised i'd played pretty much every wii game worth playing and wasn't going to afford the ps4 when it came out, but only really used it for a year.
dug it out recently as i wanted a cheap way of playing some games i missed from that gen and also realised it has a pretty good range of ps2 classics in hd
the worst console at the time of its generation, yet probably the only one still worth owning now

yes and yes

Mine died due to YLOD. I brought it back to transfer the data to another PS3.

i just checked and i have the slightly later 80gb ps3, and most games i like dont work well with it

was a later emulator released that makes games work better?
the sony made ps2 classics emualtor

I have mine because I refuse to get rid of it. It doesn't work though.

Such a cool job.
youtube.com/watch?v=bAiM9DX7e7E

That literally looks like a fucking coffin.

i just checked, that fucking sucks too
guess i just need to buy a fat modded ps2

There needs to be a proper way to play ps2 games from sony
I hope there is a ps2 classic some day that is good

Dumped mine last year after days of reapplying thermal paste in every conceivable way because it sounded like a jet engine. Ended losing it and unloaded my rage into it with a hammer.

I just finished hacking one of those over the weekend. It sounds like a jet engine now but I can play all the PS2 games I want without fear of death and it's much easier to load games onto compared to a PS2 HDD

Attached: 1552727144264.jpg (370x370, 42K)

I was considering getting a ps3 back in the day. Looking back at it now, I'm glad I didn't. Games that I keep replaying from that gen don't work well on ps3. This includes bayonetta and ninja gaiden 2.

it almost became sony's

>Original PS3
>$600
>capable of playing PS3 games
>as well as your entire PS1 and PS2 library for free just by putting your disks in
>a built-in Blu-Ray player which were $1,000 on their own at the time
>ample storage space for a ton of games, many of which don't even require installation and when they do it's like 3GB
>four USB ports
>free online
One of the best deals in gaming derided by the same retards who now happily spend $1,000 on a phone every year.

Attached: 1545937992413.png (645x773, 11K)

I got the super slim in 2016 after seeing a walmart near me carry one and got it for $200. I only played the tales games and that’s it, sucks that you can’t mod it.

I'm waiting for emulation because HOLY SHIT I hate the blury image PS3 produces

bought a hacked one from ebay, i use it really only for trophy hacking.

i still think this is a less autistic hobby than private trackers at least

Based Nintendobro. Eventually Nintendo will release another game for the switch. Eventually...

You need anger management

I forgot to mention it only had like 2-3 worthwile games for solid 5 years since launch

My 11-year-old phat PS3 is still going strong and is older than most people on this board.

>emulating ps3 cell

The controller is alright, I'm still using a ps3 pad on PC. I agree the hardware was dogshit though, and e3 2005 made me stop buying Sony consoles.

Nah, i considered getting a fully B/C one years ago when i first got my PS3 but i just got the regular slim
Ambitiious box overall and worth it if you can get it cheap but definitely had its fair share of issues for its time

I literally bought it so I could play anime games

It's the last satisfactory moment this console gave me

The superslim always reminded me of a cheap throwaway grill

That was your experience. I played a shitload on it. Lots of PS1/2 games too.

I was fortunate enough to find a website back when that would fix that for you quite easily, but when I looked up the site a few years later they stopped taking in PS3s specifically. Not sure why.

... k. New thermal paste plus a new fan wouldve helped but you destroyed it due to anger

Did you delid it? Simply reapplying themeral past on the upper heatspreader probably won't achieve anything.

>the worst console at the time of its generation, yet probably the only one still worth owning now

What was meant by this

That and the fan should be loud at least when playing ps2 games. It kicks out extra heat

Should I buy a PS3 Slim? The super slim is ugly.

Attached: image.jpg (1280x720, 171K)

Are you guys seriously unable to just take the 7 screws out of it to pull out the disc drive and get the fucking the DVD out?

I had a fat, it died 40 hours into a Persona 5 play through

Now I have a CFW Slim, a fat PS2 with a hard drive and my childhood PS1. It was a decent amount of work but it's pretty nice

Gave me a valid excuse to get the remastered though.

Why were the failure rates of the original PS3 and 360 so high?
For all they’re worth, at least the launch PS4s and Xbones still hold up.

you can't install custom firmware on super slims so get a slim, try to get a CECH 2xxx or 25xx model as those are the ones that work with custom firmware.

In the case of the 360 the lead free solder they used on the motherboard wasn't good enough, so when the system gets hot playing demanding games the solder on the motherboard cracks and the system gets a red ring of death indicating hardware failure.

For PS3, failure was far less common than 360 but it still happened. Mainly because Sony cheaped out on the thermal paste used for the system and once it dries up the system overheats and damages components. It also doesn't help that playing PS2 games specifically for some reason capped your fanspeed to a low % causing further overheating damage. Only using custom firmware fixes this since you can adjust the fanspeed manually.

>tfw 3xxx old slim
>stuck with HAN
Are they ever gonna crack it?

Sony fixed the meltdr 2 hardware exploit starting with the 3xxx slims so CFW on those and above models are impossible because you cannot downgrade.

I still use it from time to time

Attached: Screenshot_20190409-184923.jpg (725x1213, 566K)

You can still install PS3 exploit, sign and run your own games on it. I have a CECH 3000 slim series and it works fine. The PS3 exploit works on all PS3s.

>without fear of death

user...

Honestly I don't think we'll see good emulation for the PS3 until 2030. Holy fuck Sony created the most ungodly, developer unfriendly, overengineered proprietary hardware ever conceived by man.

RPCS3 is already making rapid progress. You can already fully beat some PS3 games on it without issues, Skate 3 And Tales of Xillia 2 comes to mind.

Nice. I was retarded and forgot to ask the Slim PS3 number so I got a CECH 3000 series, just outside the CFW bracket.

PS3 exploit is still god tier though. One simple HAN enabler and you can play PS3 backups

>RPCS3 is already making rapid progress.
I did read their dev notes and news and yeah it's amazing in the past year or so what they've done. I can't imagine another instance where a company made the most developer unfriendly console ever. The Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn are up there but honestly I think nobody can top the PS3.

youtube.com/watch?v=dKYT6NzsUZQ

Attached: 15.jpg (624x350, 48K)

What, I repasted it and combined with the fan, I never get temperatures above 68 degrees C

Don't forget to replace the thermal pad on the PS2 emotion engine if you have a fully hardware backwards compatible ps3

Attached: 5744618621.jpg (2250x3000, 619K)

Well that fuckin sucks, guess i’ll just have to wait until the HAN library grows I guess.They have a fair amount of good games cracked though, so I can’t complain to much.

I was referring to the YLOD more than getting the disk out.

Still got a 20gb and a 60gb version, both dead

Attached: 1550357395972.jpg (908x1135, 141K)

Despite what anyone says, the 80GB fat model is way quieter due to the humming fan. The slim models have higher frequency.

in general just replace all the thermal compound stuff in your fat PS3. it's more than a decade old now so it's all dried and crusty, not to mention they don't use the good quality stuff in order for Sony to save a dime and to encourage planned obsolescence to get you to buy a slim once it dies.

it's non issue with cfw since you can adjust the fanspeed to run lower and if you got a slim it shouldn't get that much hotter since it has a significantly reduced TDP.

I have a backwards compatible one stored under the bed in my spare bedroom. After about 5 years it YLODed with borderlands 2 stuck in it. I paid some guy on craigslist 40 bucks to fix it so I could get the game out. It still works but I resolved to only use it sparingly as it's on borrowed time. Only ps2 games I really played on it were dynasty warriors 4 empire's and streetfighter: third strike and they played great.

tfw own two unopened launch ps3's still wrapped in shrink wrap.

how much do you think they're worth? I got them moving out of my parents house, my dad bought them for my two other brothers but they never used them.
Should I just hold onto them or what

Attached: 1.jpg (250x250, 19K)

hold onto them and sell them once the price is right

>paste on non heat conductive surface
fucking retard

What?

I wouldn't recommend a fat PS3 at all today because they use a fuck ton of electricity and dump out a lot of waste heat. Either the power supply will fail or the system overheats itself. Slim doesn't have this issue.

The glue on the ram is heat conductive.

but user, six hundred dollas aint shit
you wipe your ass with six hundred dollas don't you?

I still have my launch 60gb with the 18 blade fan(whatever the better fan was). The ylod wasn't common and still by today standards isn't common. I actually ended up burning the gpu out before I ever had a over heating problem. It still works, but sparkles everywhere, ps2 games play fine though. I was going to send it in and get the gpu replaced, but if the rumors of the ps5 actually being BC with 1,2,3 & 4 then I won't bother. Thing eats electricity and its hard to use the ds3 controller after using the ds4.

They're probably broken by now just give them away to me.

So I have a slim that is like one or two updates behind whatever the most recent firmware is on the system.
I don't have it with me currently so I can't see the model number or exactly what update it's on,but can you still put CFW on a slim?
Like if I wanted to put PS2 games on it or pirate PS3 games,could I do that?

>1,2,3 & 4
yes user they're gonna fit a whole PS2 and PS3 AND new hardware and still sell it for $250
When did Yea Forums get so retarded?

What good is paper weight other then destroying it for fun?

as long as it's a CECH 25xx or lower model number you can downgrade and put CFW on it. You can play pirated PS3 and PS2 games on it, although PS2 games won't run as good on the slim with emulation as the old PS3s that have native PS2 hardware inside.

Parts could be sold or reused

Did you not see the patent? I also specifically said "if rumors are true". Maybe you're just to much of a fucking idiot to read though.

>Get given a used fat model ps3 by a family member that doesn't want it anymore
>think "sweet, now I can install custom firmware and maybe even try out that removed Linux feature they had"
>turn it on to test
>ylod
>the goddamn thing was already cooked
I guess I'll just get a CFW-compatible slim then.
Unless the price of replacement chips, repair services and shipping takes a nosedive in the near future this thing's probably going to live out the rest of its days as a doorstop.
Man fuck thermodynamics, I miss the days when all a console needed was a thermal pad and not this gay perishable grease shit

Attached: 1547248003013.png (480x475, 266K)

Shame about it being worse in every way

Mine lasted for 8 years, started throwing up errors and then I added some thermal paste to it and managed to get a few more months before it finally gave up - had a good run overall.

My PS3fat died right after my friend finished Heavy Rain on it

Can brainlets literally not change the thermal paste on their PS3s?

You can sorta mod. Listen to the other user and learn about psnstuff and how to load ps1/ps2 isos converted as pkg files

I see...
So if it isn't 25xx or lower than am I just shit outta luck with it?

I'LL GIV YOU SISS HUNDRED DOLLARS JUST TO SHUT THE HELL UP NIGGA

Attached: tumblr_mq7xeecT3O1rioudao1_400.gif (355x233, 2.38M)

user, with han you pretty much have the whole psn catalog for ps3. Also the chance to get your own ps1 and ps2 pkgs

I got the fat model without the backwards compatibility. It overheated and is now worthless.
Well, that's not true. I got like $11 from some bullshit class action lawsuit against Sony last year by using its serial number lol

Attached: 1554776333434.png (538x510, 316K)

You can do a partial exploit but it's not as great. PS3s aren't that much money nowadays, I'd just find a compatible 2100-2500 slim if I were you

PS3 objectively has the best library from last gen.

During the early PS3/360 era, power efficiency for computer hardware was god awful. I don't know if people here remember the days when a mid range PC GPU overclocked needed a 600-700w PSU minimum.

Changing the paste ontop of the CPU/GPU is easy, it's changing the paste under the IHS that's difficult that part will see you the most thermal reduction.

bought mine at launch and still works great, loud as hell though, never had a PS2 so it’s the GOAT console for me personally

That would be the Wii

You lucky devil. Just remember to change the thermal paste. The fat models were basically designed to cook themselves to death once the paste dried out and the fan being loud probably isn't a good sign.

name five exclusives worth playing on the wii

user, stop it. Your addiction to shoverware is making you say retarted things

Get a load of this goy.

This, the Wii's massive library and modest specs made it feel more like a successor to the ps2 than the ps3 did.
The ps3/xbox360 standardized graphics that were too advanced for most or last gen's budget/middle market developers to compete with.

only thing ps3 is good for now is to rip bluray movies and play region free movies.

Endless Ocean 1&2
Fragile Dreams
Ghost Squad (among other light gun shooters that got ported)
Klonoa Remake
Opoona
Gradius ReBirth
Contra ReBirth
Mercury Meltdown
Marble Saga
Red Steel 2
Deadly Creatures
Day of Crisis
Other than that it got a few interesting ports on wiiware and some last gen titles like Fatal Frame, Resident Evil 4 with light gun mechanics and the Metal Slug collection. The only interesting exclusive title on the PS3 was and still is Demon Souls and possibly Aquanauts Holiday or Afrika. The Xbox only had lost odyssey.

I've got

1 60gb fat
2 80 gb fat
1 slim
1 super slim
these are still working

PLUS

about 2 dozens fat carcasses to fish pieces from and
1 other dozen slim/superslim carcasses

and finally about fifteen between psxs and ps2s, assorted in slim and fat models

and some psps

Sin & Punishment Star Successor
Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies
Sin and Punishment Successor of the Universe
罪と罰 ~宇宙の後継者~
Zack & Wiki

I need to put a bigger HDD into my CFW PS3 slim soon.

thanks user, I was looking for wii games to download for my wii u, I don't think I have any of those games yet

I put a 500gb drive i had lying around in mine when I hacked it and it was hardly enough

Still have my OG release day 20 gig system, works fine , should redo thermal paste though

You might be able to softmod it and install emulators
if i remember correctly, it ran everything to psp almost perfectly
especially neo geo. Metal slug and shock troopers played like a dream

I still have mine, but the laser has been dead for like 8 years, so it sits in my closet.

I still have a fat PS3.
I'd give someone $50 if they could delid it if they're in North Denver.

I am absolutely scared shitless when it comes to delidding. I can build PCs but ask me to delid, I freak out.

Luckily my last CPU (4770K) was literally the most perfectly binned chip, OC'd 3.5 to 4.5 on stock voltage.

Buy a fat PS2
Buy the first party HDD/Ethernet adapter
Buy an IDE Drive or a SATA/IDE converter with SATA Drive
Buy a decent pair of video cables
Buy a FreeMcBoot Memory Card

Load that drive up with games

PS3s don't have to be delidded, it's a pointless and dangerous process. All you need is a repaste on the top and bottom of the IHS.

my 40gb launch model has never given me any problems and i've never heard of them having any age issues until this thread

i still have mine in my closet, i jailbroke it last summer with some browser exploit that allowed every fat PS3 to be jailbroken. Got to play some games i missed out on (Asuras wrath, Demon Souls, Skate 3 etc.). With MulitMan i was able to check the temps of the console. And when i would play Demon Souls it would sky rocket to 90 degrees celsius at times. I was too afraid to put some new paste on it, so i took it apart and dusted it off with a high pressure compressor. i got the thing when it released, and i have seen so much dust ever. I'm allergic to dust mites, and i could really feel that when cleaning the console.

Attached: poo.gif (56x56, 21K)

Why? Just load a few games at a time if you want to play any

I repasted my cecha01 and combined with webman, it runs at 68c or lower. It's noisy but that's the price to pay

I'm thinking of getting one just for Armored Core 4 and V, is that worth it?

I've been able to find slims for 50 dollars or less from my local classifieds. Combined with hacks, I'd say it's worth it.

How do I check if mine is the backward compatible one?

Yep, still kicking
I tried playing dark souls recently and the input lag is horrendous
Cant believe I used to play like that

Yes. But its got ylod. Want to get it fixed one day.

Obviously easiest way is to put a PS2 disc in there.
Check if it has 4 USB ports

check the model number on the back and google it.

I actually threw mine out because I was moving to a smaller place, and it took up wayyyyy to much room to justify bringing it.

Kinda sad, I regret throwing it out now.

I have the fat PS3 that can't play PS2 games. It worked fine until now, at random intervals the screen cuts out to black for a second before popping back in (game doesn't freeze or anything)
What the fuck do I do? Should I try Component cables instead of HDMI?

Attached: 1552112824555.jpg (1024x768, 267K)