ITT: times devs went above and beyond of what was expected

ITT: times devs went above and beyond of what was expected

>the PS1 Yu-Gi-Oh game (which predates the traditional TCG rules) had 3D models and attack animations for every of the ~620 monster cards

Attached: dragon.png (987x750, 627K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FWtArkwBtMs
youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOoXX5fDY
youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-3WCQneVE
youtu.be/tuulnOZcgaY?t=17
youtu.be/-N39KO_3gB4
youtu.be/AOwDTE2m3vY?t=78
youtube.com/watch?v=Fmjl-piy25Y
youtube.com/watch?v=RL3e4pVEyDA
youtu.be/yfe7-iPFo6A
youtube.com/watch?v=dKjTCSikTus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also another thing worth mentioning
>the animations would only play if you used a different button than expected to target enemy cards, which was never brought up anywhere so you could go the entire game without realizing it's there

Attached: 2127701.jpg (640x480, 100K)

VR Yu-Gi-Oh! game when?

that game was fucking awesome

in addition
>there are multiple attack animations per monster dependent on stance the monster was played in

Game name? Sounds sick

Wasnt this duelist of the roses? Or was it forbidden memories? I only remembered the attacks being a slash followed by the weaker card burning into flames in the latter

The Asterix GBA game

Attached: 1554716539338.gif (400x267, 1.88M)

>duelist of the roses
This one

>I only remembered the attacks being a slash followed by the weaker card burning into flames in the latter
Read

Wtf is this really GBA?

Spider-Man 2 for the GBA as well.

Attached: 94071842f9e7218d7a78214a5dbcb97e[1].jpg (1078x672, 434K)

the OSTs were fucking banger as well

I'm sure DotR was on PS2, was there a PS1 version too?

My bad, it's Forbidden Memories, just checked.

Fuck that

Let's post times when devs went below and beyond of what was expected
>2018 console game with 153 mons has worse animations than a 1998 console game with 151 mons

Attached: RaggedLankyArabianoryx-max-1mb.gif (280x158, 848K)

Can't we just have a positive thread where we praise devs for once? I'm so tired of constant negativity.

Attached: 1545613766918.jpg (404x470, 35K)

>VR headset linked to your duel disk and cards are readable and project the monster or card effect you activated in your headset
I don’t know why this hasn’t happend yet. YGO is made for this shit.

It's gamefreak dude, they get off on doing the lowest quality shit possible and seeing how much retards and normalfags buy it.

youtube.com/watch?v=FWtArkwBtMs
It exists, but it's fanmade and shit.

I'm really a big fan of Bullfrog games and Peter Molyneux (of the ancient past as Devs)

Attached: dungeon keeper.jpg (474x286, 27K)

AR would be better

Neos has a cute butt.

Except it told you this in the booklet, where it listed what all the buttons do, which was standard at the time for every commercial video game.

Yeah they basically replicated how playstation graphics worked to get it on there.

Wait for real they did all 620? I cant recall all of them being on there..

personally I want a VR game with the stadiums

Attached: portable yugioh games.jpg (600x600, 81K)

I remember making fake paper versions and the cards, because I think at the time neither the show or card game were out in America.

It's not like they had the option to do it another way. Fixed point 3d is the only thing the GBA could handle. Floating point calculation was still reserved for real consoles and PCs at the time.

I remember emulating the jap GBA games. Basically learned the game that way.

no
everything sucks and this fact must be faced

>the attack animation would change depending on the planet you set your monster to
Sometime I should look up for them all, only seen a few ever

Forbidden memories? I never understood how it works

It's probably doable with image recognition, although AR is janky in general and it would be really complicated to do it well. Also AR glasses only have a place in industry right now and holding phones over your cards the entire match seems really tedious. Also, I want my Blue Eyes to be proper two stories tall, not 10 centimeters so it fits on the card.

VR would be really easy though. Just gotta animate attack animations for every card and above and beyond maybe also idle, defense and death animations (maybe limit those to rarer cards as needed). Probably means they must also trim out all the Level 5 and fusion cards with like 1600 attack which is actually a good thing. Implementing the game itself is probably trivial. I'd assume you could do this well within a AA budget.

Best fucking OST of the entire PS1 gallery and it's in a Yu-Gi-Oh game

>That Kaiba finals theme
It really made him fearsome with him dropping blue eyes on your ass on the first turn

And who would have such AA budget?
Konami, as we all know, hates money and would never invest in this.
Fans on the other hand who work on this kind of shit (it actually already exists) dont even have enough money to buy fucking noodle soups.

The crazy fusion was fun.

But the card farming and stuff like pic related were quite bad.

Attached: Heart of the Cards.webm (634x480, 992K)

I always suspected the CPU was cheating like crazy.

kys
do it faggot

How about this, a custom game engine written in FUCKING ASSEMBLY for the 3DS for some throwaway nintendo eshop gears of war ripoff, that makes the 3DS punch way above it's weight.
Somewhere in the dev team, sat a highly underappreciated engine programmer.
Check it out, quite impressive considering the 3DS specs:
youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOoXX5fDY

It doesn't "predate" anything.
The card game had been out for quite a while by then.
The rules had to be changed because IT WAS A FUCKING VIDEOGAME.

>TCG released in 1999
>game released in December 1999
>was in development for at least a year
>"quite a while"
>anime from that time also had different rules despite not having limitations

>anime from that time also had different rules
Nigger, the anime ALWAYS played by it's own rules.

Because there were no TCG rules at the very beginning.
Only vidya rules.

At first it's a mix and match game to come up with cool fusions.
Then it's hoard multiple materials for a single fusion
...and then it's grind for hours for one single monster and several equip cards to lottery draw the final boss(es)

All while this amazing ost plays on the background
youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-3WCQneVE

A shame there was literally no strategy to the game other than
>turbo into MBD or THTD with 3+ Equips or get brutally fucked by Gate Guardian and BEUD
Also fuck the nigger who thought it was a good idea to make you take on SEVEN (7) duelists with cards far stronger than yours in a row without being able to save.

>I do not want to feel good, I want to feel angry!

This mentality will slowly destroy your life, enjoy the good things for fucking once instead of seeking anger all the time

What the fuck happened to instruction manuals bros? I used to read through the whole thing before even starting a game, now you see streamers act like an old game is bad when they boot it up and don't know how the controls work, and they don't even include them in new games anymore.

New games are considered too complex if you need to read a manual to play them.

>1990s
>games are popularily considered kiddie shit
>no problem assuming the target audience will read a few pages to know what to do or figure it out as they go along and git gud
>2010s
>massive campaign to show games are actually super srs bizness for grown-ups
>more hand-holding than ever
The never-ending tide of infantilization and lowering expectations is just so tiresome.

Attached: 1543485769590.jpg (196x196, 11K)

The contrast is funny right.

Easy answer. Companies are lazy. Pic related was what made me respect Rockstar even more. They not only had a manual and a map of the game in the case, but they also put the install on a seperate disc to save you spending hours installing the game from the internet. I was genuinely shocked when I opened the case.

Attached: rdr_2_leak_ps4_standard_1540291718013.jpg (800x613, 57K)

>Reading the back of the box on your way home from the shops then sitting on the toilet as you read the manual before finally turning the game on and having a blast
Take me back bros.

Here's Konami's take on it

Great, my Yea Forums X just broke.
Here's the link again, youtu.be/tuulnOZcgaY?t=17

_no

underrated post

Wow, I'm genuinely impressed. I've never heard of the game, was it bad or did it just fly completely under everyone's radar?

That’s because yugioh is always the best at what it does

im still stitting here waiting for a Duelist of Rose remake.

seriously that game so good youtu.be/-N39KO_3gB4

It's actually pretty infamous as one of the 3DS's first "big" hacking entry points, it was a pretty short lived game for that reason, with Nintendo taking it out of the eshop

Wasn't very popular, hackers found out that you could use it as an entrypoint so suddenly evwryone wanted it, then nintendo took it down to stop people hacking their 3DS

Absolutely accurate.

Oh, that's a shame. That can't be good for the programmer's career then.

They do. Pegasus can see the values of your face down cards, which makes sense. But so can many opponents near the end of the game.

Were you supposed to know all combinations by heart?

It's not like specfic monster a + b = c. It's based off the types of the two monsters and the monster with the highest attack power.

But most fusions are pretty useless so generally it's all about knowing what to fuse to make twin headed thunder dragon.

Welcome to Yea Forums, I hope you hate your stay

on one hand those models were dogshit (in duelists of the roses, never played forbidden memories) but on the other just the fact that they all had one was still cool as hell. I remember being incredibly upset when I played Legacy of the Duelist and only like six monsters had models that looked just as bad as the ones from a 2001 PS2 game.

I still remember being absolutely floored when my brother first got Chain of Memories and there was a goddamn FMV in the intro.

Attached: DazREODU8AAn_cU.jpg (580x750, 32K)

No. I like being angry. It gives me focus.

Forbidden Memories and Duelist Kingdom arc of the anime are quite literally based on prototype rules for the actual TCG while it was still in development

But you still had to remember which types are able to be combined with other types, right?

I emulated it recently and quit quickly because I am not going to learn a goddamn table.

I think the crowning acheivement of that should go to the Driv3r GBA version. It's fully open world with cars and pedestrians, you can get in and out of cars, I still have zero idea how they fucking got it to run. You can see some of the texture warping when the camera rotates showing you that the system was NOT designed for full 3d

it looks amazing in action
youtu.be/AOwDTE2m3vY?t=78

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

Those cars and pedestrians are just sprites like in Mario Kart. You can tell by how jerky they turn.

>GamePlay [4k]
>4k but with shitty bilinear filtering that makes everything blurry as hell

That's pretty obvious

I jacked off to her 3D model all the time. You could angle the camera just right to kinda see her butt.

Attached: WaterdragonFairy-V7-JP-C.png (308x448, 356K)

I've no idea what's going on and it looks like botg sides are cheating. Is the person fusing the blue eyes cheating or is the one with the bug cheating?

Neither, forbidden memories has its own rules independent form the real card game. Both the real game and forbidden memories are vaguely similar because they were both based on the the very vague rules form the manga.

From what I remember, that webm is of a hack someone pulled off in order to see Seto's hand, if you look closely you'll see he pulls out a Seiyaryu but it turns into an Ultimate Blue Eyes when he picks it up, which means he'll play it regardless of if he has it or not. To add insult to injury they made it so it was always the first, left-most card he plays, instead of making it believable by randomizing it.

Makes sense, I was thinking of the card game rules

There did seem to be lots of spinoffs for it though even when the rules were established. I played the war of the roses one and some other game for GBA that were both bizarre, when all I wanted was a version of the card game where I didn't have to buy all the cards

They also did a GTA clone for DS.
youtube.com/watch?v=Fmjl-piy25Y

Attached: budLMfx.jpg (2048x768, 257K)

What you have to remember is that some of those games were made before the rules were really set in stone, they just didn't make there way to America till after the fact. Yugioh hit America well into the real card game's existence but it was popular in Japan for awhile before the real cards took off. I actually think there was even a different company making a different real version of the game before konami took over. I also think the company that made duelist of the roses was the same one that made forbidden memories so maybe they just had an attitude that they didn't care about the real game since they had been making yugioh games as long as it had existed.

The 3D animations made me love this game as a kid. I wish the newer games still had them

Ah okay, that makes sense, I was wondering why it changed and assumed there might be a card active that puts blue eyes ultimate into your hand if you had 3 dragons in your hand or something

I actually did enjoy wars of the roses. My dad actually got it me specifically because I liked history

I don't remember much about the story other than Yugi was supposed to be henry tudor, and seto was richard the third.

Game was relatively fun, though. I might find a rom for it

youtube.com/watch?v=RL3e4pVEyDA

>when you fought the "you have to lose" ultra evil guy and would attack him with the special button just to see the animation of his badass OP cards.

I replayed duelists of the roses last year and while it's still fun and has a 10/10 concept it's simultaneously really easy outside of that one cunt with the pumpkin king guy and also a gigantic pain in the ass to get any cards worth adding to your starting deck unless you want to waste days of your life grinding (not that you'll likely need them but regardless)

I don't even want a new duelists of the roses I just want something similar, what with the deck building and the strategic placement of cards on various terrain and the deck master gimmick. stuff like that. Closest I've ever seen is disgaea with those geo panels but that didn't really scratch the itch personally.

The card part is the problem. The duel disk likely won't work with sleeves, so you run the risk the cards get damaged through play. Even most pet decks can cost 50 dollars, which can and likely will end up fucked in the process.

Yeah, I spent forever trying to get good cards since my name gave me 3 shitty decks and I didn't realise changing it mattered until my brother played and got different decks

Yeah the game is fun. I honestly doubt they'd remake a fairly poorly reviewed game from 20 years ago but I think the concept is sound. I'd kill for an indie game based around the system.

For Ace Combat X and X2, if the planes had folding wings, they would fold back and forth in the hanger.
The flaps would also move as if the pilot was doing a pre-flight check.
Such a small thing but it made me smile.

Attached: shot_000008.jpg (1280x720, 130K)

A friend of mine and I are both programmers who have been thinking of working together on our first real attempt at a commercial game. One of the things we discussed is a potential Duelist of the Roses successor but we were worried only we liked it. Maybe one day we can deliver on it so I'm curious what would you like to see in a game like it? Besides greater ease of obtaining new cards?

It's called forbidden memories,
Also the game is genuinely terrible

>tfw everyone started downloading it to hack their 3ds

>Duelist Kingdom
>4000 LP

Pretty sure every ace combat has that

t. in the middle of playing Zero right now

>not looking up Dark Magician Girl's skirt in Duelist of the Roses
puberty became awesome with that game

Well that could be good. I guess a more open world would be good. You'd still have the bosses but there's other people to fight and get cards and stuff from. Everything felt cramped in the overworld on duelists.

Ways to change terrain in battle would be good. Could be along spell card lines like terraform in the game, but could be something cool like a monster effect, for example say a lava dragon that changes any terrain he's on into lava at the beginning of the enemies turn.

Personally I'd like more effect monsters, they were always the best part but they were rare, or at least they were to me

If you're not tied to yugioh you can change the way things work too. You can change it to have instant spells or traps you can choose where you place them rather than moving them manually. I'd say the face down thing is pretty critical though

Make sure the deck masters level up and get their fun abilities faster

Realizing you were a fucktillion ranks below Kaiba's BEWD's double-move when you advanced in rank at the speed of particularly motivated molasses was shitty

>I'd say the face down thing is pretty critical though
Considering the last time I played I beat the final boss solely because he spent his first turn slamming his whole hand into one fuckheug monster that immediately got buttfucked by a paralyzing potion I had facedown and he couldln't ever hope to come back from that, yeah I agree.

Well there's a reason that sort of thing is a bad idea in most card games but I don't even know how you'd make an AI realise it's a bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket

will the LoD on switch have limited models too?

Having to play the same people constantly sucked so some variety in enemy decks would be neat

Also no fucking card slot machine please

i'm pretty sure it's a straight port outside of updating the card pool and putting some Vrains content into the "story mode" (aka slapdash retelling of the various anime seasons.)

>Get this game as a kid because I loved Yugioh
>Start out with shit cards
>As early as battle city all your opponents start getting god tier cards and can apparently see what face down cards you have
>Grinding for new and good cards seems to take forever
>"Oh neat I can input my real cards into the game!"
>Pull out my Blue Eyes and input the code
>9999 star chips
>The max you can get per battle is 5

Fuck that game desu don't know how anyone could beat it

Attached: 1383963926081.png (500x375, 193K)

Forbidden Memories, Duelist of the Roses, and Falsebound Kingdom had no business having such good music
youtu.be/yfe7-iPFo6A

Nigga every single PS4/Xbone/Switch game has the manual on the disc/download. You access it from the system dashboard. It's better this way because they can actually make the manuals fully in color and support 10+ languages.

i remember playing this one, and it has models and animations too, does someone know of a yugioh game for pc with monsters models and animations? i only ply duel links on steam and android

Attached: Dawnofdestiny.jpg (188x268, 19K)

>Fuck that game desu don't know how anyone could beat it
low meadow mage grinding meteor b dragons is all you need (and a darkhole or raigeki)

>Full open 3D world
>Fully voiced characters
>Real time shadows
>Reflective water
>Multiple play styles
>Non linear story
>Score recorded live from the Russian Philharmonic

All in 1999

Attached: o.jpg (300x381, 32K)

Fusions should be in the game, and they should either work the same or work by walking 2 fusable creatures into each other

There should also be a list of fusions available rather than having to keep a notebook next to the PS2 that my mom throws away because she thinks all the card names are occult demons and I get banned from video games

I mean that's less likely to happen now but it was annoying trying to remember every fusion

Your card games are cool but Digimon Digital Card Battle was the realest shit. It had the same 3D battle animations for every monster with a sweet OST and heaps of cards to fuck around with.
I remember beating the game with a deck that ran exclusively just Agumon and his variants.

Yellow > Blue > Green > Black > Red.

Attached: MV5BZTg4NjA5OWQtZjIzZS00MjJjLThmYmQtNmE4OGNhODYzNGJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg (800x817, 122K)

The jump from Melee to Brawl on terms of sheer content

Best part is you can delete all the updates that butcher the graphics and reinstall from the disc if you just wanna enjoy the single player in all its100 hour work week glory.

>Impressed by FMVs on GBA
Step up nigga
youtube.com/watch?v=dKjTCSikTus

I SEE YOU ULUKAI

Attached: 1536186458314.jpg (480x285, 23K)

There's a "letter" written either by Simon Muran or "Pegasus" in the first fucking page of the manual that said "please excuse the liberties we have taken with the card game rules, they are a little different from what you might be accustomed to."

I miss Lionhead Studios guys.
Black and White was so cool

That section was the bane of my life when I first played it as a kid

In hindsight it's piss easy

Fecking Zort.

>Not exactly impressive...3DS can do PS2/GC gen brown genericgraphics....k, so what? Hardly anyone is going to use it.

What a fag.

THE FUCK!