Why do wrpgs so rarely have unique and interesting settings? Seriously, there's Morrowind...

Why do wrpgs so rarely have unique and interesting settings? Seriously, there's Morrowind, Planescape and that's about it.

Attached: thumbbig-769084.jpg (400x305, 26K)

Planescape isn't original to vidya.
To answer: Western writers are fantasy/sci-fi nerds, and there is no other group with less talent and creativity. They only know how to write OG donut steel LOTR fanfiction with names swapped around and have never once even considered having an original thought.

planescape is the most original setting in any wRPG and it's pulled straight out of DnD

because the retards to make them didn't gfrow up with anime and shit, they had no inspiration besides Lord of the Rings so they arent going to have floating islands and sky tall colossus

Because you're a faggot who doesn't play WRPGs so you haven't seen the ones with unique settings. Also, a unique setting doesn't necessarily mean good, as shown by the pletora of JRPGs that are dumpster fires but have unique settings.

whats the ones with unique settings

because wrpg tend to stick to realism. not floating jungles with castles in the and inpracticle flying machines powered by the love of dead samuri.

that's because jrpgs settings tend to not have any identity because they air on the side of "fantasy kitchen sink" approach, which is honestly just as bad as "generic medieval fantasy" you tend to see in wrpgs.

Not that I didn't enjoy Planescape's setting but they could have gone crazier with it. This is supposed to be a place that has portals to every other dimension in it. The catacombs are generic and Baator is just a hellish desert.

sorr you're wrong, 90% of them are based off real landscapes, unlike tons of JRPG's who make them out of their minds

shut up piece of shit reddit fuck weeb

yikes

>Because you're a faggot who doesn't play WRPGs so you haven't seen the ones with unique settings
Not true, I've played wrpgs all my life and only started getting into jrpgs in the last few years.

Besides Xenoblade what are some jrpgs with really unique settings?

Besides Morrowind and Planescape?
>Fallout
>VtMB
>Arcanum
>Deus Ex
>World of Xeen
>Dark Sun
>Mask of the Betrayer
>System Shock

>ywn experience the joy and wonder of playing any of those for the first time again

Attached: 1532439391335.png (398x309, 122K)

>post apocalyptic
>vampires
>fantasy
>future world
>fantasy
>fantasy
>fantasy
>future world

might try xeen unless i forget

>JRPGS = Cool setting, bland story/characters/gameplay
>WRPGS = Cool story/charcters, bland setting

Obviously there are exceptions but for the most part this has been pretty true.

good call not classifying wrpg gameplay

It's pretty hit or miss with WRPG gameplay. Some are great, some are boring. JRPG gameplay is pretty much all meh at best.