I don't get it

I don't get it

Attached: Wood Elemental.jpg (480x680, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As Wood Elemental enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of untapped Forests.
Wood Elemental's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Forests sacrificed as it entered the battlefield.

what's not to get? that's not a bad mid-late-game creature for 4 mana

Nevermind it's shit, my brain didn't register that you have to sacrifice the untapped lands

So what is your best deck in Arena? Just made a burn deck, and I've won 4 out of 6 games. I think I'll keep it.

Attached: 7b56cd0cc4afeac9149d3276f2bfff29.jpg (920x675, 238K)

What were they thinking?

did you think the stats came from just having the untapped forests? it'd still be pretty bad, as you would need 8 lands for a 4 mana 4/4

This seems like a very bad card.

Attached: tree1.jpg (420x315, 53K)

>that card is 25 years old
my god...

Lets see if you get this one.

Attached: Image.ashx(2).jpg (223x310, 31K)

it's also a rare (it released before rarity was indicated on the set symbol). imagine pulling that as your rare from a pack

HOLY SHIT

AGELETS BEGONE

Attached: TREE DESTROY.png (500x596, 156K)

Good if your opponent has a creature you need to destroy

>This seems like a very bad card.

It's generally agreed to be the worst creature card in all of Magic. They made a version of it later that starts as a 3/3 and gets +2/+2 for each forest and even that was bad.

How was I supposed to know this?

Dimir even though it's just a shitty version of Esper. Highest I got was Plat 3 before I stopped playing ranked. Got bored of running into the same 2-3 decks every game. Also been playing a Temur Domri deck that feels like it should be really good but I can't consistently win with it.

Take your queermo shit back to /tg/.

check gatherer or ask a judge if you don't know how to read old cards

It says it right on the card?

I'm sure there's some meme combo you could pull of where you summon like 4 Wood Elementals by utilizing some kind of card effect to tap and untap the forests before saccing them.

You could read the card

>card has a great name and art
>it's absolute shit
FUCK YOU WIZARDS

Western art is so bad.

I draw 2

Attached: pot of tricks.jpg (628x472, 44K)

>Sacrificing forests

Attached: Dont like.gif (500x511, 136K)

2 what?

Read the card.

???

Attached: One with Nothing.jpg (480x680, 66K)

why not? there's enough support for graveyards to function as a second deck. the problem is that the card is too fuckin slow and does nothing

this to be honest

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 17K)

fucking kek

Attached: 1546322667112.png (847x429, 415K)

IS THIS A MOTHERFUCKING TREEFOLK THREAD?

Attached: bosk banneret.jpg (480x680, 85K)

Who's that treefolk legendery wizard?
I can't find it in gatherer.
Think his name started with M.

It blows my mind looking at how bad some of the old creatures were. Like I've played since M10 and drafted old formats so I'm aware of how things used to be, but holy shit. I'm also aware that many cards are strictly better versions of other ones regardless of when they were printed, but compare that to this card.
>1 mana cheaper
>has hexproof
>doesn't require you to sacrifice lands
>doesn't require untapped forests
and it still wasn't a good card.

Attached: dungrove elder.jpg (480x680, 72K)

graveyard is a resource in some decks

>activate your own trap card

when was the turning point for creatures? this bad boy being printed?

Attached: mma-166-tarmogoyf.jpg (672x936, 295K)

Izzet Drakes is insanely fun

It was a much simpler time, user. Getting a monster with big dick power/toughness was viable enough of a strategy on its own

Attached: s99-35-denizen-of-the-deep.jpg (672x936, 233K)

why would you intentionally remove your own resource to get the same resource
>what about madness?
just use a discard engine or something

>Getting a monster with big dick power/toughness was viable enough of a strategy on its own
lol no

this is actually just a bad card save for a few meme christmas land combos

Creatures are generally better now than they ever were, but there are plenty of exceptions. Mirrodin was probably the advent of broken creatures which was the early 00s.

>why would you intentionally remove your own resource to get the same resource
you can cheat on the mana cost but you're right about that card being trash

Attached: dka-87-faithless-looting.jpg (672x936, 166K)

For me it's Dino Elf.

Attached: ppre-30-allosaurus-rider.jpg (672x936, 243K)

>Microsoft exclusives

Not if that creature costs you resources and just dies to Terror or Swords. Also even in a universe without removal spells Wood Elemental is abysmal, you'll win infinitely more games with a Storm Crow or Gray Ogre in your deck.

>Run four of these
youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs

Attached: shahrazad.jpg (672x936, 251K)

UW artifacts. Blackblade on Traxos is so much fun or the Antiquities War on all my little tokens to frick em up

Took me a second

Attached: 1476650885136.jpg (432x444, 196K)

Kek

How long can a single game of magic run? Because that's potentially...

game
game game
game game game
game game game game
game game game game game
game game game game
game game game
game game
game

Did I miscount? Is there some additional meta fuckery I missed?

no user you have it right. that's why it's banned in every single format

You get 15 games within games if one player uses all four in their deck.
With optimal conditions and both players running four copies, you end up with 355 subgames. But this isn't accounting for shit like Hive Mind and pic related.

Attached: panoptic mirror.jpg (672x936, 229K)

Dungrove elder was a good card and was played in a strong deck. Mono Green Stompy was a very real deck thanks to Dungrove and Strangleroot.

This is a discard engine though.

>have one card in hand
>its faithless looting
>play it
>draw 2 cards then discard them
MOMS GONNA FREAK
>immediately flash it back

I knew a guy with four of these and the general response was to just forfeit the "subsubgame". Doing this *generally* meant only losing half life once maybe twice in the original game. I heard he started mixing deck mulling (I think it's called?) into it but by then it was mostly a deck he kept with him for shits and giggles

Attached: 1342851922603.jpg (640x480, 43K)

>Used to play MTG at high school
>Nobody knew about banlists and all that shit
>I ran this and nobody could stop me

Attached: recurring nightmare.jpg (223x310, 38K)

i meant a reusable discard engine

Well you can also run this boy and just start it all over.

Attached: uma-5-karn-liberated.jpg (672x936, 160K)

So... you sacrifice your monster and then play it again?

based spike

Attached: 1553042452120.jpg (467x524, 108K)

more like sacrifice a 1/1 to put your win con on the field

No banlist in kitchen table magic

there's a lot of ways to use it
for example I could play pic related and sacrifice it to Recurring Nightmare to trigger it's "enter the battlefield" ability again. As long as I can pay 3 mana to replay Recurring Nightmare I can repeatedly do this

Attached: ktk-200-siege-rhino.jpg (672x936, 292K)

Mirrordin was just entire block filled with broken shit, to be fair

You can just copy or play it from the graveyard for infinite gameplay.

>discard hand
>all your creatures either feed off the graveyard, respawn off the graveyard for cheaper, or have an active ability you can cast from the graveyard
>profit
it's not that complicated desu

Attached: Lurcher.jpg (265x370, 46K)

Yeah but for the first time a lot of those broken things were creatures, specifically Arcbound Ravager. Obviously all the other affinity shit and artifact lands made Ravager even better but the card is so busted it makes affinity work even with most of that banned.

FUCK I HATE SIEGE RHINO
Who ever thought it was a good idea should be hung

Fuck you nigger I hope you get aids

This is like legitimately the worst card I've ever seen in my life.

what's wrong user? Don't like incredibly overloaded creatures?

Attached: war-34-tomik-distinguished-advokist.jpg (672x936, 100K)

That flavor text is godly.

Attached: 1554081161559.gif (200x180, 2.97M)

>Wood Elemental
>not a single person posted this

Attached: 1527905739268.png (1409x899, 127K)

I actually laughed. what is wrong with me

I'm pretty sure this is the only situation where you can play a wood elemental and win on the next turn, outside of the other players just forefitting out of embarrassment.

Isnt there a deck that burns by discard?

amazing tech card in the madness burn mathup against owling mine. real silver bullet.

Stay mad faggot control player

yes but those decks want your opponent to discard cards

>all these people defending one with nothing
you people are making me ANGRY about card games. please stop

But there's no text there

See now this card sucks but it sucks in a way that you can build around it and make it good

Wood Elemental sucks in a way that you can't really build around without making an already shitty deck shittier

Huuuh MTGbabs?

Attached: 1547302410066.jpg (464x664, 169K)

It's 4 bucks for a reason.
Somebody us fucking running it somewhere

Attached: 1547329651344.png (315x448, 319K)

back in the day you would loop it with pic related

Attached: ulg-101-deranged-hermit.jpg (672x936, 311K)

Hmm. Is there a mechanic in WAR this is counterplay for?

>playing mtg after the invasion block
Embarasssing

I think it's more geared towards messing with decks in legacy and vintage that rely on pic related, and a handful of popular commanders like muldrotha, noyan dar, and gitrog monster

Attached: rav-172-life-from-the-loam.jpg (672x936, 242K)

Hope i can post this here without getting destroyed by real players, but I made a basic, non-standard commander deck with Mirko Vosk, Jace memory adept, traumatize, psychic corrosion, sword of war and peace/feast and famine/body and mind, memory errosion, isochron scepter, cancel and and some other discard/milling instances and sorceries, not a lot of monsters (indulgent tormentor, jace's phantasm)

Any cards you guys would recommend for a blue/black mill commander deck?

Attached: 1260140067326.jpg (898x348, 78K)

onslaught block

it's definitely aimed towards eternal formats
but Crucible of Worlds is currently standard legal IIRC, and Assassin's Trophy can hit lands

Yeah you did.

You can have another 4 of this to add too the chaos

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 29K)

Attached: gk1-15-glimpse-the-unthinkable.jpg (488x680, 92K)

now THAT'S some fuckin value for a 2drop, thanks!

it's been a decade but I'm still upset
zendikar was fun
worldwake was alright if you can get past the only two cards people remember it for
rise can go fuck itself

Spoilers: the 'unthinkable' is the price of the card.

there's more

Attached: Image.ashx.jpg (223x310, 28K)

>trying to copy the jar of greed
mtg will never be the same fuck off

Good shit

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 53K)

glimpse is really affordable now, a bunch of reprints killed the price

Attached: zen-41-archive-trap.jpg (672x936, 195K)

more like jar of sneed

whispersilk cloak
traumatize
fireshrieker
mindcrank
hedron crab
jace's archivist
windfall

got the cloak, traumatize, mindcrank, archivist and fireshrieker already in there, but thanks for the list!

Oh! nice.

Also there's a much better commander you can use

Attached: c13-201-nekusar-the-mindrazer.jpg (672x936, 251K)

>built a tribal Demon deck around Rakdos Showstopper
>people love it despite it being Demon good stuff/beatdown
I'll never understand people

WHO WINS

ONE ALL-CONSUMING ELDRITCH ABOMINATION FROM THE SPACE BETWEEN WORLDS

OR 15 SQUIRRELS

kek this card won me a FNM. I was running some cancer control and only had one life, I played this then hardcasted temporal mastery and drew another and he couldn't draw a card

WHO WINS
1 WELL TRAINED NAMELESS SOLDIER WHO HAS DEVOTED HIS LIFE AND YEARS TO TRAINING IN THE USE OF A SWORD
OR
ONE NUTTY BOI?

probably because the randomness makes it fun for everyone

you ever miss those games that got the whole lunch table involved? like a good 7-8 player game with all sorts of kitchen table shit everywhere

Attached: Shepherd+of+Rot+%5BONS%5D.jpg (223x310, 30K)

>look into magic after not playing it since mirrordin
>find out they invented planeswalkers
... why?
seems like a lot of extra rules for not that much benefit, and they're like basically bombs when they drop
>also there's "mythic rares" now
gay

if the problems with modern mtg began and ended with planeswalkers and mythics I'd still be playing

No but I'm definitely going to run a gates deck that runs that and Fall of Thran to absolutely shit on my opponents.

Thats a nigger move user.
and i love it

I mean, they basically do.

>spend the first few turns doing typical gate stuff
>when you have the mana to, gates ablaze to clear the field, drop a colossus as a wincon, drop Tavik
>drop Thran the next turn
>alternatively ramp into Zacama, float all your mana, play Thran, then blow it up with Zacama
It's been a while since I've been this excited for a single card.

This is a great commander for "hello I'm looking for a playgroup, the last 7 I was in stopped inviting me for some reason"

Tis but an illusion. The text emerges but it's too late.

Attached: PotofGreed-YGLD-EN-C-1E.png (461x669, 685K)

at least it's not Jhoira

>2019
>still playing card games to win
you are like little baby. watch this.

Attached: intervention.jpg (223x310, 33K)

based

>everyone else just ignores you for the rest of the game and keeps playing

I saw that faggot
dele this

The chair from the new unset is great too.
Fucking friend plays it under his cards.

Finally Ravnica shit is coming to an end. Since they are on the fan wank train, I'm guessing the next set will be Innistrad again.
It is better, but I would like to see something original.

I need to play this game right now!

I don't get why people think this is a bad card. With 58 forests on the field, you can play a mere 15/15 Emrakul or a 54/54 Wood Elemental.

Wait does the wood elemental itself specifically have something to do here? It seems like George just wins because the other guys kill each other, not because he played wood elemental.

From where? My closet?

You didn't register that in your inventory when we started. Is your closet mystical? What level is it?

I think they've said in the past they plan to go Revisit>New Setting>Revisit>New Setting>Revisit, starting with this most recent block as the first revisit

Jesus is the gardner, and the teers are we.

this is my favorite card. i loved it in magic 2015? online 4 player free for all

Attached: 1542431018957.png (745x1040, 1.89M)

that's the joke

That sounds like a lot of planes to revisit. Maybe Lorwyn has a chance of coming back.

Return to Kamigawa is rumored, New Phyrexia/Mirrordin is likely, and Return to Return to Return to Ravnica is already confirmed.

Actually Jerry doesn't die to Fireball because as soon as kramer dies to Jerry's lightning bolt his Fireball leaves the stack.

They probably won't be going to Innistrad again for a good while. Eldrazi is a little bit of a toxic concept right now after recent colorless sets broke modern in half for a season and very nearly killed standard, and while time improves everything (even kamigawa), three years is still too soon. Even assuming Bolas arc is cleanly wrapped up, we still need to do an ugin epilogue featuring sorin and nahiri, and if they cliffhang on the phyrexians getting the portal then ajani is probably building a team and going back to theros to pick up elspeth. Add on to that the norse viking plane that's been hinted at for a bit, and we're probably getting a bit of a break before the eldrazi plotline picks up again.

I don't know how it works now, but you used to be able to use Wish cards to go and get cards from the main game to use in sub-games.

I thought Kamigawa was even less popular than Lorwyn. Cool plane though, I'd be fine with it. New Phyrexia definitely will happen sometime, which is also cool.

Karn has directly mentioned New Phyrexia recently. He's building a nuke to blow it up. Also Koth showed up on a reprint of Phyrexian Arena.

Depending on your deck it could be infinite games even with only one copy in your deck.

>Sorcery shenanigans intensify

Attached: rav-48-eye-of-the-storm.jpg (672x936, 203K)

Considering it's banned basically everywhere, this hypothetical deck could be playing other banned cards too.
Like unstable's The Countdown Is At One, which adds another sub-game, but where both players only have 1 life, and the loser takes double damage in the main game.

Wizards is very good at introducing a plotline and then letting it hang for years. Garruk has spent nearly 8 years cursed by the Chain Veil and actively hunting planeswalkers.

Why stop at discarding just your hand when you could discard your hand + 4 for the same 1 mana cost?
And this card is multi purpose too

Attached: tor-26-breakthrough.jpg (672x936, 245K)

It's all fun and games until you drop one infect enchantment/equipment and kill everyone by forcing them to draw 10+

>Wizards guys are too much of pussies to allow prison decks or even D&T-style decks on standard
>even though blue control decks perform well, they are afraid to print interesting control tools
Why do they need to cater to crying babies instead of trying to push design concepts that are the true strength of this specific game?

i haven't been keeping up with the lore, but i want bolas to be a red herring and garruk is the one killing everyone

I've made two friends so far for killing myself with my Niv deck to nuke the Nekusar player.

Isn't Kamigawa the "not-Japan" setting? With anime and feudal Japan pushing its way back into mainstream culture, I could see them being willing to give it another shot.

hilariously, Bolas' big evil plan specifically excluded Garruk from the Planeswalker trap so he wouldn't killsteal

how does bolas benefit from killing planeswalkers? does he get stronger or sumtin? garruk just seems like a big nuke you can drop on your enemies

Both are shit-talked non-stop but when you go and look at the actual cards, they're still being used in eternal formats and even some stuff in modern.
My playgroup in particular is mostly split between both as our favourite planes and this is a constant topic, "why the fuck WotC claims people hate these planes if everyone we know likes at least one of them"

Wait, so if I get this right it goes
>Play Shock
>Shock is exiled
>Play a copy of shock
>Play Opt
>Opt is exiled
>Play a copy of both Shock and Opt
And the list of cards just gets bigger every time you cast a spell?

he's yanking out their sparks to do ???, presumably to regain Oldwalker-tier power.

I could see wood elemental being sort of useful in a tatyova edh deck. It doesn't need it though

well there goes my hopes for seeing garruk again. thanks for the info

there's two cards total used from the entire Kamigawa block, and they're both broken as shit. Every other card is complete garbage and no one uses them.

supposedly they have plans to use him next year

I hate Standard and I hate Standard players so I play Esper Control.

Attached: 1487192060562.jpg (702x960, 66K)

Yes. It's also a "may" so you can't just play a pact in response to your opponent trying to use it and make them lose the game on their next upkeep

>drafting khans way back
>get 3 of these badboys
>proceed to win draft
Fucking cash.

Yeah - and you add your opponent's cards as well

>presumably to regain Oldwalker-tier power.
Not quite because Oldwalker-tier was literally god tier. He's getting the next best thing though

Attached: nicolbolasdragongod.jpg (265x370, 34K)

Shivan dragon was the meta creature for like four years

Yes, and it works for every player, and adds their cards in as well, the game then quickly degenerates into pure insanity

It is weird, everyone I know wants one or the other set to come back. Kamigawa was shit talked because of low power level and everyone hated Lorwyn at the time because of the garbage limited and Standard was already shit and its cards did not help. Neither of these things has anything to do with the actual setting, so I don't see why not give them another chance. The only problem I see with Lorwyn is the tribal shit, but nothing is stopping Wizards from using the setting in another context.

>8.99
???

That's absolutely fucking disgusting. I need it.

Doesn't work you dumb nigger.

I think he meant the mana cost, not the actual price for sale.

how do you know this card doesn't represent him before completing his big evil plan?

Also we already have multiple Oldwalkers as normal Planeswalker cards already.

Attached: serrathebenevolent.jpg (265x370, 46K)

>Any cards you guys would recommend for a blue/black mill commander deck?
Anything to help you kill yourself when you realize how absolutely awful mill is in commander

Because that's from the new set, not Modern Horizons. And in the new set he's having the Eternals steal people's planeswalker sparks. Now read his first ability and put 2 and 2 together user.

>Because that's from the new set, not Modern Horizons
what does that matter? He can still be Oldwalker-tier and be printed as a normal Planeswalker, there's multiple precedents.

Attached: Image.ashx?multiverseid=450644&type=card.png (223x311, 135K)

Yes, multiple precedents from non-story supplemental sets.

I hope The Wanderer character ends up interesting. Lacking a planeswalker type is pretty cool.

This

It's probably Elspeth.

fuck, i forgot about elspeth

>Still no urza or yawgmoth card

One day. If they can print bolas and emrakul, they can print yawgmoth

it's Avacyn

We technically got Urza

wouldn't she have a spear then?

I hope WotC is actually going to kill Bolas permanently. I'm tired of his "lel everything ever was just as planned" ass getting jerked off for a decade.
If fucking Yawgmoth can get put down for good, then so can this piece of shit. I just hope he takes a few of the current crop of planeswalkers with him before he's put out of his misery

He already did but none of the ones you'd want him to take with him. RIP Dack

why not have both in a blue black edh deck?

Attached: cursed image.png (246x252, 104K)

Pretty much any deck you could run OWN in would be better off without OWN and with a better discard outlet instead

edh

If you're playing EDH there are literally dozens of better discard outlets.

except this is the right move though.

Yeah but you don't know that without context

Would a Magic cartoon work best as humans playing the game against each other Yugioh style, or as a fantasy show using the lore from the cards?

Probably the latter. There isn't much you could do with the former that wouldn't either only appeal to people who played the card game extensively, or was just a rehash of YGO's show.

>final ability designed specifically to kill poorfags

Attached: 1505503867387.png (464x376, 208K)

Won't be a problem with the new decks coming out

You can have just a legendary creature too. Those aren't even very expensive, especially the shit ones (which is the majority of them) or one of the uncommon ones from DOM. Also there will be uncommon walkers in the new set.

The best cards are the memorable ones

no, on paper dumbass

not when arena is around

Dovin is a cutie control with tefari.

You donate it to your opponent then tap it down with icy manip or rishadan port

>Dovin
>control