Mark Kern (Grummz)...

>Mark Kern (Grummz), WoW developer implied that Valve hasn't responded to Epic because Gabe is planning to sell Valve and retire very soon.
This EXPLAINS why Valve isn't reacting to Epic, Gabe doesn't really care and just wants to retire and sell the company whenever at this point. Makes sense right?

Attached: gabesellingvalve.png (936x496, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2019/3/21/18276181/epic-games-store-exclusives-pc-gaming-fortnite-steve-allison-gdc-2019
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Gabe doesn't really care
FLASH NEWS-WATER IS WET

>valve sells steam to epic
I would die of laughter if this happend

>Steam sold to Epic
PLEASE HAPPEN I WANT Yea Forums TO GO DOWN IN FLAMES

no because valve is a running experiment and selling it would invalidate it
company already has inner circle, or council you could say, of shareholders that runs the things and gabe is barely a figurehead
there is a reason that company was in private hands for so long and that is so noone tells them what to do, the good thing about it is that they dont follow trends mindlessly and work at their own pace on whatever the fuck they want, the bad thing is that they barely release anything and when they do follow trends instead of setting them, they fail miserably (artifact, arguably dota2)

That guy has been very pro-Epic on Twitter. So of course he's going to say shit like this.

It doesn't matter, though, because he doesn't actually know anything. He's literally guessing.

Oh god, this wasn't a part of the plan.

>they fail miserably
>arguably dota2

Are you an idiot?

Attached: 1552421085890.png (1280x720, 610K)

>Dev of Wow
Why would he have any reason to have anymore insight into the actions of valve than the usual pundit, who's speculated this for years.

If Valve wanted to sell up, MS would buy it within an instance and this has been speculated about for years.
It might just be a possibility that there's not much in Valves interest financially or PR wise to even try prevent EPIC from being shitty because they literally can't stop EPIC throwing fortnite money about.
It's probably better off allowing it to play out for a while as Valve may not need to do shit.

>Gabe will finally be in the position he's wanted to be in for years literally next month
>he doesn't care he's gonna sell guys Steam is over!!1!
Is Grummz retarded?

Artifact is an example of miserably failing + following trends
dota2 is an example of following trends

he didn't word his shit right, but you're even more of a retard
>anime poster
checks out

>trusting chinks

Attached: mike_morhaime_mark_kern_door-590x334.jpg (590x334, 44K)

When you word your shit poorly, you are in no position to complain when people misunderstand you.

Unironically one of the stupidest things I've read in a while. Even if that somehow happened it would be probably Microsoft since they've always been interested.

mark kern is a retard, people only give his opinions any attention because he was a "team lead" on wow and the only thing he has done since is get voted out of a company he co-founded that made a complete failure of an MMO

Would Microsoft cause the same amount of anal ravaging? From a lot of the SDK's Valve have put out the last few months there is a lot of hooks for Xbox Live and Azure cloud services. Maybe Gabe's going home?

They've only been interested because Valve is investing a shitload into making Linux viable for gaming.

This would be good since all of your shit would be on the same launcher.

>From a lot of the SDK's Valve have put out the last few months there is a lot of hooks for Xbox Live and Azure cloud services.
It's just making the platform viable for MS crossplatform stuff. MS wants to infect all bloodstreams and get their Xbox Pass thing on everything (mobiles, Switch, PS4)

I have never particularly trusted Mark Kern's word or his new multi part crowdfunded game thing or whatever it is after Firefall. He tried to say they threw him under the bus as a scapegoat and he was the only one that actually knew what he was doing but nobody would listen to him.
There has been a lot brought up over his role with Firefall from both verified and unverified people who have worked under him and what they have said about him as a project manager/leader seems pretty damning and they pretty much universally blame him for single handedly running the game into the ground/development hell with constant direction changes and ordering dev teams to scrap months of work to do things differently on a whim, so this doesn't really surprise me at all.

Microsoft also wants the dominant pc store and has for years been looking at possible purchases, with everyone suspecting the subtle hint was at steam.

Apple has the apple store, Google has the google play store and Microsoft has nothing but a joke, but do have shit tonnes of money.

Why would you throw a shitload of money for timed exclusives if you're planning to buy the competition anyways?

My dad works for WoW and he said Gary Newell is selling steam to Elon Musk!

No they've been interested because Valve was made by old blood Microsoft people. Gabe made all his early money from Microsoft and is part of old silicon money.

>Mark Kern
isn't he the guy who shat out that shitty free2play game and blamed it's failure on steam?

>Microsoft has nothing but a joke
Well, they have big platform which is why they don't want Linux to be gaming viable. Games is the only thing they have left.
That way they can stay the dominant PC store, Gabe is aware of the danger that MS could force stores to pay up or get fucked and it's why he's been such a critic of Windows/MS since at least Win8

Gabe hasn't given a shit for years. Selling the company doesn't matter shit. If anything it might get some improvements.

For all their whining about Steam's supposed monopoly and all their raving about the benefits of competition, Epic drones sure do love the idea of living in a world with only one game client.

dota 2 is a bad game
please dont embarass yourself now

>No they've been interested because Valve was made by old blood Microsoft people.
What kind of stupid reasoning is this?

this chink is a retarded epic shill

Attached: 71782030.jpg (368x158, 9K)

Phil is gonna open up that fat Microsoft wallet and buy Valve, bros. Gaming is saved!

Attached: 1530607368779.jpg (620x357, 35K)

not enough titty streamers for you zoomer?

I think realistically, there's a lot of valid points with extremely good incentives as to why Microsoft would want to purchase Steam if given the opportunity.

Hasn't gabe said he would rather have the company go under than sell out to microsoft?

>trusting an Activision employee
>now that Activision is 25% owned by Tencent

Attached: 1493596144383.jpg (600x400, 23K)

>epic throws up to 100 million for the exclusivity
How long until they burn trough their money?

Attached: Mark Kern, Ex-CEO of Firefall, caught blocking people for tweeting about attempts to eas[...].png (883x616, 54K)

i don't like deny mechanics and long stuns
it hurts me because i'm bad

Are you people fucking retarded? Dota 2 is one of the most successful games of all time. How the fuck was it a 'failure'?

Also Dota 2 was in development long before MOBAs were ever a trend. Artifact came out like 4 years after the trading card thing had hit its peak.

Attached: 1540249009375.jpg (1600x1000, 343K)

Quality aside, Valve made a shitload of money with Dota2 and even with the esports stuff. They probably set a standard for how esports should be done.

imagine larping on the internet and people actually believe you. just like that other retarded larper who said he stole borderlands 3 and is gonna upload it to pirate bay unless gearbox unionizes.

Don't be foolish no one actually supports Epic unless they're paid to. Everyone else is either trolling, console warriors shit-stirring PC's pot, or VAC bans with a grudge against Valve.

they dont care because ebin isnt even a threat

he has no need to sell valve, especially if he wants to retire, what a load of bollocks

>and retire very soon.
How does this make any sense? He can sit on his ass all day and make money and his generations will still make money off steam

If Microsoft bought Valve, they would almost certainly go out of their way to disable all of the Linux compatibility on Steam.

They already said they won't be doing that for much longer, maybe a year. They are literally using the fortnite dosh to buy as many games as they can and build a customer base that is actually buying games and not just log in for 10 hours of fortnite and then go to bed.

I agree, it's not like we're contesting what the other said, we both talk why MS would have some very good reasons to buy Valve/Steam.

>successful = good
Based drone, keep your spirit up, you'll need it once Tim buys out Valve.

Clearly you have no reasoning skills. Do I need to spell it out for you? Valve is a old Microsoft company in everything but ownership. The team was built by old microsoft, the systems are old microsoft. People would retire from Microsoft and then go work with Valve because it was a comfy retirement job.

So I dunno why would Microsoft be interested in bringing a company which is practically theirs into the fold? Must be some bad logic right?

agreed
haha...okay hues and gopniks

As a tired gamer, I really hope this happens.

Put a nail in the coffin of videogames so I can move fucking on.

So how does a wow developer knows this? He's just speaking out his ass to add to the controversy.

>>>/reddit/

>Valve hasn't responded to Epic because Gabe is planning to sell Valve

Valve hasn't responded to Epic because he doesn't need to, their platform prints money and has for years. Epic is stilted competition and it's obvious because of all the developers making outright embarassments of themselves.

Sweeney recently said they'll keep that shit up though.

I seriously believe that a lot of the butthurt SJWs and indiefags are shilling for Epic.
It would also explain why so many talk about how the cut is better for devs

Summer Sales on SpaceX rockets soon

They have a bunch of projects going on right now what the fuck is this retard saying

Also, reminder this retard crashed Firefall into the ground

>dota doesnt good

oh no no no no the stormshit atack again

>poor mid-tier studios can't afford 30%
>even though mid-tier studios were most prevalent during an era in which they had to pay 30% to console manufacturers, 20-30% to the retailers, and had to pay for the discs their games were on

They went back on that a few days ago.

Attached: 1553943223721.jpg (1366x4789, 1.23M)

Epic is burning money to get a seat at the table. There's no "responding" because it's not a long-term sustainable strategy, and even Epic have said as much. The point is to forcefully get attention while the store is still in its infancy, and that wouldn't benefit anyone who already has a store that people actually want to shop at. In the long-term, it's also an extremely risky strategy that's likely to hurt basically everyone's bottom line, but that risk means little to Epic compared to what they stand to gain.

Valve hasn't done anything because they don't have to, they have by far the best digital client on the market and no one else even comes close.

The exclusive buyout tactic is not something that works long term, everyone is simply going to let Epic hang themselves then forget it exists. Unfortunately we have to deal with many months of shitposting by people too young to really be posting on this board.

>Mark Kern
ok stop
OP do you even know who this faggot is?

The only people shilling for epic are the codrie trannies who believe they can get their game on epics store and get that sweet paycheck

yeah sure

The two platforms merging would be the best

Yes, it is bad logic. It boils down to "they are old friends :3"
That shit doesn't matter, people work at different places all the time or even start their own shit.
If you want good reasoning read the thread. MS has good reasons to be interested but your reasoning is just stupid, maybe naive at best

>based streetshitter doing his work for the fat jew
Keep it up, they'll need everyone for the coming storm.

If pc gamers have managed to go this long without RDR2 even though it's been perfectly accessible for the longest of times now, I think PC gamers can resist the desire to go to epic for at least a year.

2K is the sort of company that would punch babies if you gave them a $, or milk their own mothers for some extra cents. They'll go where ever they deem the most money to be at, and even if EPIC manages to get an exclusive deal with RDR2 (People speculate permanently, but why would they stick their best egg in a basket permanently, when they won't even do it with BL3), I struggle to believe 2K is doing it out of partnership but rather an incredibly sweet deal, which is inevitably non-viable even with fortnite money.
2K would probably think it's a positive to try and financially cripple a competitor anyway.

The only indies who shill for them have no fucking idea what steam provides with their api and steamworks, their whole front- and back-end that many take for granted now and is compeltly missing from egs.

Valve has literally invested into linux specifically to combat microsoft's shitty ideals of continually turning windows into a closed platform. Microsoft's core values directly conflict with Gabe's and Valve's.

Not to mention most of that "old team" is long gone.

>implying gamers managed to resist because they chose to not because mom won't give them anymore money after they spent months saying that a $2000 PC is better compared to a $200 console
Gamers have no backbone

Yeah but at least Steam doesn't sell icky animegames

Of course they'd backtrack on that, they just showed their hand. But being realistic here, they don't have the money to keep buying games AND keep the company value that high. Tencent would sell its shares in an instant. Fortnite is making them a lot but not enough to become sony/ms/apple/facebook/google-tier monopoly in a year.

>RDR2
i'd rather have bloodborne or some other exclusive officially launch on pc than that sluggish 3d visual novel for boomers

>I seriously believe that a lot of the butthurt SJWs and indiefags are shilling for Epic.
you dont have to believe it, its true
just look at all the articles online and the way they're written and also so called influencers doing a smear campaign against valve and steam with an article or video every other day

No it wouldn't. Have you seen epic's client?

valve haters
>valve hasn't done anything with their client in 10 years!
wrong btw

also valve haters
>I don't need anything other than being able to buy and download my games

Valve is on Windows 10's advisory committee and have monthly meetings with MS regarding gaming. They have what they wanted all along which was an inside into MS instead of being ready to split and create their own OS. Proton staying in development is less a defense against MS lock out and more a potential money making investment by allowing companies to just run games and applications on hardware like TV's, tablets and phones that are based on Linux OS or BSD kernels. The minute that becomes viable. They could make a shitload of money selling the tech to vendors.

Mark is an Epic cockgobbeler. Ignore his yellow nosing.

I like how RDR2 is still treated like the fucking golden calf when every console player i've talked to was generally disappointed by it. Personally I don't even care about the RDR series and I know plenty of others don't as well.

realistically, how long do you think Epic can go on buying up the rights for major exclusives?
When do you think they'll see their first failure?

Attached: 56492563_543611376164044_4799382888195817472_n.jpg (277x239, 9K)

>Valve is on Windows 10's advisory committee and have monthly meetings with MS regarding gaming.
Do you have a single fact to back this up?

user, when something fails it's directly related to its popularity
feel free to stop embarrassing yourself any time

>Critics and gaming fans, particularly those who are loyal to Valve’s competing Steam marketplace, take issue with Epic’s strategy of securing exclusive games because of the belief that it injects the worst element of the console industry to a Windows ecosystem that has largely escaped the platform wars between PlayStation and Xbox. Epic Games Store chief Steve Allison says the company hears the criticisms and is working to address them. In fact, Allison says exclusivity on the Epic Games Store will eventually disappear.
>“I don’t think we plan to do it forever. I expect that we’re already seeing the ecosystem come to life, from a sales and users perspective,” Allison told a GDC crowd today at his Q&A, alongside fellow Epic employees Sergey Galyonkin, director of publishing strategy, and Joe Kreiner, head of business development.
>“We’ll probably do it for a while,” Allison added. “It’s about pushing the business model and helping people thrive. Hopefully, people just come eventually or the industry moves down to match us. But the answer is yes, we will at some point go to zero or very, very few exclusives per year. Definitely not going to be doing it at the scale we’re doing now.”

theverge.com/2019/3/21/18276181/epic-games-store-exclusives-pc-gaming-fortnite-steve-allison-gdc-2019

but they already have, they spent money on faggotlands 3

>If pc gamers have managed to go this long without RDR2 even though it's been perfectly accessible for the longest of times now, I think PC gamers can resist the desire to go to epic for at least a year.
No, RDR2 will be just like GTA and Ubi games on Steam, a first party launcher through the store. Rockstar would never EVER give up that control.

Borderlands games sell a shit ton, why do you think this will be different?

Is there a citation that isn't literally a fucking reddit post? It's a disgrace that the first post wasn't FAKE AND GAY.

>when something fails it's directly related to its popularity
If that is really the retarded hill you want to die on, keep going.

I have, that's why I am not buying any consoles ever or installing Epic shit client.

When has Gabe ever cared?

>indies indies indies
I don't give a fuck
Indies are the ones who put steam in its current state with shovelware everyone

>valve it's too hard to get on steam
okay here's greenlight
>valve greenlight sucks and I still can't get my game one
okay you can put your game on steam for $100
>valve stop censoring me
okay but just don't troll
>valve wtf the store is flooded with garbage and no one can find my game
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Microsoft will buy them

Epic's business model is a joke, anyone with a brain could see it.

I understand why EA or Ubisoft would want their own launcher; if they sell you the game directly, that's an additional 30% for them, with no middleman-cut, on all of the stuff they publish and distribute. I understand how that's meant to work.

But how is buying exclusives from other companies ever going to be a viable business model? There's no fucking way Epic is ever going to attract a dev with a "guaranteed sales" deal who will make a product big enough to actually recoup that expense... and on the off-chance that they do, it won't be enough to offset all the exclusive flops. And even if it IS, it still won't sell enough beyond that guaranteed-sales point for it to make them more money than if they had just let the game also be on other stores and gotten their tiny share of the purchases from Fortnite kids.

You can't loss-lead a digital distribution platform. It's not like a console where once you have the console, they can feel confident that they'll be able to get more money out of you because of that sunk cost (selling you the multiplats on their platform, through their storefront, with them getting the cuts on DLCs and the additional revenue stream charging you for online, etc.) Even if the Epic ploy works perfectly and everyone with Steam downloads their launcher just to get an exclusive title, that's not going to make those same people buy other games through their storefront. You'd have to loss-lead every single title you hoped to sell, from now until the end of time. As soon as the exclusivity goes away, they'll go back to buying games on the platform where the remaining 99% of their library is, and use your launcher for the 5 games that requires it.

Honestly unless they're making a fucking killing harvesting your data and selling it to the Chinese government I can't see how they ever expected the exclusivity model to work.

the only possible way I could ever see it being true is if that meme post about the disgruntled Gearbox employees ends up being true and the game gets leaked next month, but I'd put that at a less than 1% chance of happening

Attached: 1550097472503.jpg (918x592, 96K)

I... what? You're baiting, right?
Fuck, I can't tell anymore. Some genuinely retarded people have filled this site.

Attached: 1545012156240.png (528x599, 230K)

I don't think he still cares at this point. man just wants to retire.

Retire from what? He just chills in his office playing DOTA all day. That's not a joke, that's what he does.

>a retard thinks others are retarded becasue he can't think logically
Yeah, tought so...

Attached: 1554124580373.jpg (960x960, 73K)

They could do it for years if they have tencent's support but it depends on how often they do it. If they're just throwing 100k at a bunch of indie games then it won't put a dent in them, if they're spending hundreds of millions for shit like RDR2 and borderlands then it'll fuck them over fast.

There's also the factor that some devs might just not like the idea of having their games be dead and unpopular. Imagine making a multiplayer game that's epic exclusive, you pour your soul into it but the playerbase is non-existent because your install base is small. We've seen this shit happen on origin where games like titanfall and plants vs zombies garden warfare were basically ghost towns shortly after launch. A situation like that isn't good for epic or the devs.

>It boils down to "they are old friends :3"

Excellent reductionism, you should work in media.

Gaben's majority shares will most likely end up going to Erik Johnson (who's also another long time employee at Valve). Moreover, Valve's ownership shares are spread throughout most employees.

I'm not saying all gamers have no backbone, but a vast majority.
It's also hard to pull off. I mean let's say you want to protet the next FIFA, shit won't work because there are a shitload of people who don't give a fuck and/or don't read anything about games.
When the lootbox shit was cooking, FIFA players tried to use that momentum to get rid of the FIFA lootboxes that have been in the games for quite a long time and those games have actually 0 age restrictions unlike Battlefront 2 which 16 I think

>probably
Funny how you forgot to underline that part

>Valve get's bought
>half-life becomes yearly release
>steam censorship skyrockets and reaches resetera levels
>profits tank
>only stays online because it marches in lockstep with Origin and Epic in order to squash all newcomer competition and wage an endless war against GOG

Baste

Attached: 1530429904190.jpg (510x1907, 134K)

I wonder if gabe rages, I can't imagine playing dota all day every day and not raging hard as fuck

They can have a handful of failures and be fine.

The beauty of digital is that after the initial costs, everything else is gravy. There is no need to constantly reproduce the game except on an as-needed basis. Servers and databases, comparatively, aren't expensive to run and maintain.

It's not reductionism, it's what you said, I just trimmed the fat.

>But how is buying exclusives from other companies ever going to be a viable business model?
It's not. All Epic is doing is buying exclusive deals to the most anticipated games to bring as many potential customers to their store to build a user base that is not just playing Forknife. They are trying to do what took Valve like 8 years in one. They are literally trying to solve valves monopoly problem by throwing money at it and if they fail it's going to kill the whole EGS and they are back to selling UE licenses because their wonderchild will die out eventually and then they have nothing left.

I wouldn't refute what you've said, but it leaves this whole debacle to be that of a PR stunt and in terms of positive perception, they sold it down the river for notoriety and a quick "Look at me" approach in hopes to attract a fan base over, without giving any of the tools which help customers feel like an ecosphere of players.

I think EPIC's long term prospects in being a store platform is pretty bleak, with ultimately what will result in a very high investment, with very little payback in regards to $ spent per new customer, while equally being fairly hated by the customer base they failed to acquire.
It's very bold business, and perhaps steams silence is that it's not in their interests to be bold at any point, as Epic are still miles behind with a bad outlook.

You have a fine career in journalism ahead of you my man

>Mark Kern
>ruins the future of your game with a million dollar bus

The modern day lootbox STARTED with FIFA. It is literally 100% Andrew Wilson's idea and the petri dish he used to test it on was FIFA.

mark kern peddles in conspiracy theories all the time, why should i care

adding that final panel to this is like desecrating a piece of art

Kern has done a great job rebranding himself as some right-wing industry insider instead of the hack con-man who rode a studio into oblivion and got virtually blacklisted from the industry for publicly blaming literally everyone but himself for every shitshow he's attached himself to.

>Andrew Wilson
Yeah, the fucker got promoted to CEO because of that shit.

Gabe selling Valve will probably lead to bad things
Hatred wouldn't have ever been on Steam if it wasn't for Gabe stepping in, despite all the things I dislike about Steam his plan of it being a store any one can sell nearly anything on is good

>A guy that has literally nothing to do with Valve trying to predict what Valve would do
what the fuck is this thread

postal as well

I'm not the one deflecting from stupid reasoning and try to deflect with some stupid shit

Once Gabe sells Valve and they go public that'll be it for PC gaming. It's going to turn into a real hellhole where every publisher will try to carve their own corner with their own launchers.

Attached: 1497821794189.jpg (482x427, 61K)

>against GOG
kek, that piece of shit made like $8k profit last year

Attached: 1536083476477.jpg (510x1506, 274K)

I like how valve isn't purely motivated by money, they do a lot of retarded shit but it's not because they're purely chasing profit. Sure they profit regardless but it's so fucking easy to say 'no we don't want these controversial games on steam it'll make us look bad'

>Switches the topic from reductionism to deflection
>I'm not deflecting I swear

Do you already work for CNN?

>Valve worried about 6-12 month exclusivity
This is insanely blown out of proportions. It makes way more sense to wait it out since you are getting the games anyways. Its not like Epic is buying up full exclusivity, even barring the release of console versions. That would be a HUGE power move.

baste

>that piece of shit made like $8k profit last year
And they invested like 35 million into it.

Power for the sake of power, user.

Logic not needed

>delighting in the only legit good store doing poorly
Imagine how deep the corporate cock has to be up your asshole to do this.

>Mark Kern (Grummz)

Attached: Firefall_bus_parked_at_AX_2012_rear_quarter_view[1].jpg (2592x1944, 823K)

>even barring the release of console versions. That would be a HUGE power move.
Please let this happen

holy shit is this a new battle bus for fortnite!!!

I don’t think he’d be answering so many emails if he was going to.

Complaining about the bus only shows how little you know about corporate budgeting.

POGGERS IT LOOKS SO COOL OMG IM GONNA TESXT MY FRIEND NOW

>WoW developer

Attached: 1554502529196.jpg (1466x760, 110K)

You really don't want that. Piracy would jump about 10,000% and the video market would crash like you wouldn't believe. You'd have no games to play because no one would make them because no one would buy them.

Son of a bitch he did it again.

I think it will happen eventually with a big IP. Epic already stated they were willing to pay for studios to develop exclusives, instead of just buying up existing games. Imagine the fucking asspain if Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance 2 was on EGS PC exclusively for even just 12 months.

It factually would not. If Steam folds, all their titles have the DRM removed and are rehosted elsewhere for download while their store itself closes. They have a Plan B in place and discussed it a long time ago. They even did a live test of the system where they stripped the DRM out of every game library that was active at the time. It's all documented. Google it.

Only PC gaming would die

THIS.
Fuck steam, based Epic dabbing on them

Again, your reasoning isn't good. There are good reasons why MS would want to buy Valve but yours isn't one of them. Far from it.
You don't just buy shit just because it was made from old colleagues/friends. There has to be something useful/profitable behind a decision like that

what even is happening anymore, I'm scared

Attached: 1420318981095.jpg (600x500, 36K)

New flash: PC game sells are a higher percentage than any other console. PC DOMINATES game sales by over 20%. When publishers put games on consoles, they have every intention of porting them to the PC unless sales are shit. Consoles are literally beta tests. If the sales are good enough, they port them to PCs where the real money is.

Never seen doomposting before?

>All Epic is doing is buying exclusive deals to the most anticipated games to bring as many potential customers to their store to build a user base that is not just playing Forknife
But that's my whole point. That sort of thing works if I have to choose between stores, period, but I don't. It's not like if I'm choosing between a PS4 and an XBone, where I might want to play Spiderman and so I buy the PS4 and now, that's where I'm buying all my yearly Battlefield titles and paying by $60 a year for internet or whatever.

Epic has everyone on their store. Fortnite is already one of the most popular games of all time and it requires the EGS on PC. They've got an installbase of hundreds of millions of people. If those people aren't already buying games on the EGS, it's safe to say that the issue is not getting the launcher in front of users. So you can buy an exclusive and sell that exclusive, sure, but how does that translate to wider usage of the store outside of that specific instance?

Fortnite is the biggest launcher-exclusive title in the history of PC. If that didn't work, how in the hell is Borderlands 3 or whatever gonna do what it didn't?

But that's literally wrong you retard

>Activision/Blizzard WoW code monkey is supposed to have secret inside knowledge on a completely different, unrelated company which
How the fuck do retards even find this plausible in the slightest? This has the same credibility as a literal random post on Yea Forums.

The problem with Fortnite is they fucked up their approach with branching the audience into other games. TF2 had dozens and dozens of promotional tie ins with unique items/skins. Fortnite would easily be able to bring sales if every big game had an exclusive male/female skin variant for the game. Whether that is an Arytom/Anna skin from Metro, or something like Tiny Tina/Handsome Jack from Borderlands.

Valve turned their audience to help people get interested in other games, even just for skins.

>New flash: PC game sells are a higher percentage than any other console. PC DOMINATES game sales by over 20%
Only in China and Korea because they're playing online PC games.
Western and Japanese AAA and AA market is still very much dependent on consoles.

Fortnite brought them the LMS audience, the competitive mp gamers. But that demographic is very much comprised of mono gamers. They play that one game for 10 hours a day and never touch anything else. Not the kind of people that will grow your store. Maybe after it dies or their tastes change but that is easily 5 years in the future. Epic wants to become a serious competitor to STEAM now. That's why they are buying all the singleplayer AAA and premium indies they can.

This is how capitalism works. Do everything to make the other guy quit.

Again, though, missing the point. It's not like Fortnite is a profitable but otherwise-niche title, it's got more than 200 million registered players. You're telling me that none of those 200 million plays any other videogames besides Fortnite? I don't believe it. The overlap is enormous. I'd be willing to bet more than 2/3rds of the people with a Steam account also have EGS installed just for Fortnite. The challenge isn't to get them to install the launcher, it's to get them to use it to buy any game they don't absolutely have to.

Because if the business model is to buy exclusives, there's never any profit in it. No matter how deep the war chest goes, even if the game can be played for years, it's a constant game of negative returns. Epic needs to either (a) get games which are exclusive to its launcher that it DIDN'T have to pay out the ass for, or (b) get users to start buying games on EGS that are also available on Steam.

They aren't doing anything to accomplish either of those things and I don't see how it's supposed to work. Even if the exclusives weren't total flops that failed to make back the cost sunk into them (and realistically, they are), what's the end-game?

>You'd have no games to play
My 40+ year backlog begs to differ.

I want to see steam sold to tencent so I can see you fags implode

>Some random faggot posts nonsense about things
>Better make a thread about it

>They've got an installbase of hundreds of millions of people.
This is misleading because you need an epic games account to play fortnite on consoles and mobile

You don't think epic would stop at just PC gaming do you?

Epic has a value of approximately $8 billion, and that's not entirely money in the bank. They'd get out bid'ed at the beginning of the auction of steam by those with values within the trillions.

I just listed a way to get people buying other games, promotional items. The idea of being special or having something most people don't was big years ago and is even bigger now. There are skins in Fortnite you can't get anymore, thus those have value. So if a game comes out with an exclusive skins, I would wager the sales of that game would spike up solely from the announcement of a tie-in skin if you buy this game on EGS.
>over 200 million
That includes mobile, and if we are including mobile PUBG is over 200 million too because of India and China being able to run it on cheap phones.
The PC audience of Fortnite is huge, but its still smaller than mobile, PS4 and honestly likely Xbox One. Not sure about Switch since it runs so poorly on it.

The problem I could see is I find it easier to believe you could get TF2, and PC gamers in 2011 to buy Total War Shogun 2 for a skin than you could get Fortnite players in 2019 to buy Anno 1880 for a skin.

I realize that this is true, but I think you also see my point perfectly clearly and are being obtuse on purpose. Epic is trying to bridge the "get them to install the launcher" gap for a userbase that already has the fucking thing installed, and they haven't given a single iota of thought to the much more pressing issue of the "get them to actually use the launcher if they don't have to" gap.

All the April Fools' fags from reddit decided to stick around. They just forgot they can't get epic upvotes for reposting old content.

>hey valve get fucked hehe
>v-valve?
>UH HEY I'M TAKING YOUR GAMES HEHEHE
>C'MON GET MAD
>VALVE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME

What would it accomplish if they did?

>Oh you have to buy this game for a Fortnite skin
Okay, and? What's the value there? Sure, people would probably buy it, but you could just sell them DLC skins at that point, why bother with the game sales push?

If Epic wants the store to be successful, they need to find a way to get people to use it over another alternative for the same product. That's how a store succeeds. Gimmicks can get customers through the door but if they're already through the door, and they just get the gimmick and leave, you've got nothing. This is the basic logic of a retail environment. It applies to all retail environments that exist.

Radio Shack used to give away a battery for free every month to any customer who was a "member"; that gimmick worked because when you came in for your free battery, you left with other stuff. Imagine a world where every single customer came in, got their free battery, and left, and Radio Shack's response was to then give you a free remote control too. And when you came in for the battery and the free remote, and then left, they upped the ante with a free pair of headphones. And that was their only game plan. To just keep giving you more and more reasons to come back for this one specific thing, and to do nothing to actually sell you the shit that would make them some money.

That's Epic Games Store.

So tim is just a tripfag with way too much money. Makes sense.

Based best timeline. HL3 is now an Xbone exclusive and Halo goes full PC.

Gabe retired long ago, you retard. His son has been the CEO ever since.
Also a lot of employees own shared in Valve so they would all need to agree to the sell off.

What a retarded fucking rumor, fuck you OP.

>it's another 'OP brings absolute retarded screenshots form reddit to Yea Forums' episode
STOP

We are now nothing but repository for random shitposts from reddit. Let that sink in. The absolute STATE of 4channel.

Attached: 1546292999086.jpg (1080x1080, 171K)

>trusting a Tencent employee and sworn mortal enemy's totally legit "industry insider rumor"
based and retardpilled

Attached: 1483057566182.jpg (614x609, 132K)

You have a point but the answer is simple, they have userbase of freeloaders
They want paying customers, especially impulse buyers
Still like you say, question remains why would anyone buy from them when they won't have to
Probably not many in the immediate future

What I think is Gabe probably thinks it's still so laughable that he doesn't even feel a need to respond, and is sleeping 8 hours a day, sitting around masturbating 15 hours a day to overwatch porn, and uses the remaining hour to look at a picture of Tim Sweeney and just completely lose his shit howling with laughter at him.
This EXPLAINS why Valve isn't reacting to Epic. Makes sense right?

Hmm. Well if Gaben never wants to do anything ever again we will all be lost in a sea of crappy launchers forever then. Valve havent done anything of notice since 2011. Its time Gabe...

Attached: 1478526792712.png (463x642, 70K)

My interpretation is they're hoping, and emphasis on that word, that they can capitalize on the fact people generally have only a few games they actually play on any regular basis. I mean the whole joke about a backlog is that people will keep buying up shit they intend to play while never getting to it and still playing the same shit every week they always do. Make high profile AAA's and some high profile indies exclusive and hand out a few free games and try to artificially create that main games/backlog ecosystem.

The problem is, is that it's a fruitless endeavor when Steam has such a huge start and is so prolific on key reselling sites, humble bundle, sales, etc. that people will already have tens if not hundreds of games on steam to make up their backlog and will continuously be bombarded from sales/key site deals/etc to add to it, that it's like trying to row against a rushing river.

Not even counting the fact that to do this they've abandoned public perception and goodwill, which Steam spent years accumulating, and being first to the party will always grant you benefits. Steam is applauded for adding a refund system, EGS is expected to have it at launch for example.

And here another issue for EPIC and the EGS store. They wish to have the impulse purchasers who invests thousands of $ into a game library, and they need to usurper it from Steam, but these are people invested by the thousands and getting them to leave that investment, for a single game or handful of games isn't enough of a caveat (At least for myself), but rather just builds resentment towards them.

EPIC is, in truth, in a lose lose situation as the market leader Steam have cemented themselves over the period of 15 years and building up a service which acts as more than just a place to buy a game.

>Steam is applauded for adding a refund system, EGS is expected to have it at launch for example.
Well EGS is 5 years old now. Five fucking years. And that's how competition works. If a new iPhone comes out and is inferior in features to an old Samsung guess what's going to sell more.

>Games is the only thing they have left.
are you retarded? windows completely dominates every single field where a pc is required except servers

probably Apple on the basis that it's new and shiny and it's Apple
In some ways that's also an argument of the power of brand recognition, which garners more "points" in steams favour.
I think a statistic was 40% of EGS customers don't own and never have owned Steam, which to me indicates that a huge portion of their 'customer' base isn't actually "PC gamers", as Steam is almost synonymous with gaming on a desktop or laptop.

I agree, I'm just merely saying EGS is like Sisyphus but with no hilltop to reach. I can't realistically see what they're projected end goal is. I don't want to think they're just blindly going at it, they need to have some kind of data that's telling them they're going in the right direction for their goals, I just can't imagine how it tells them that.

I'm wondering how long until we reach a tipping point where devs, indie devs specifically, refuse even the cash payout because of the negative backlash they're game will receive. Especially if it's their first title and they want to build a consumer base to support any future titles.

>Valve havent done anything of notice since 2011
It's hard to tell if you're a legit retard or just out for (you)s.

Attached: 4,w=993,q=high,c=0.bild.jpg (993x559, 34K)

>on the basis that it's new and shiny and it's Apple
That was just an example. The point was when a new, essential feature gets introduced into the market you absolutely need it to compete. You wouldn't buy a car without a seat belt just because the company that's making that car is new and needs another 15 years to introduce it like the other, older company.

>I think a statistic was 40% of EGS customers don't own and never have owned Steam
That's unsubstantiated bollocks, come on.

Dumbest shit I ever heard. If they were planning to sell they wouldn't be ramping up production and development of VR, Steam redesign, etc. They'd just be the same lazy bastards as before and instead we're getting Steam blogs multiple times per month with new updates and announcements.

No games that did well but Dota 2, a bunch of hardware stuff noone cared about and??? Its a good store and all. But the sales are so bland I havent bought anything there since 2016. I like some of the big mass sheep stuff (AAAs) and many of this are gone now from Steam.

Attached: 1426289287962.jpg (1176x1500, 518K)

I think "First time" indie devs wouldn't take too much of a reputation hit for going with EGS on a cash handout basis, and future projects wouldn't be tainted either as it's understandable, especially if you're trying to take opportunities to get your feet off the ground. (That said EGS doesn't look particularly interested into those types of devs and I think indie devs have almost been spoilt by the liberal approach steam has to accepting their titles onto the store page, being fooled into a belief that it's a universal acceptance when it really isn't).

The backlash seems directed towards those who have the player base waiting in preparation to purchase a game and then turn their back on the customers preference, for the cash incentive and belief (Maybe justified, maybe blind) that their customers will follow them like lapdogs even though it's shittier for the customer.

nah

Valve is a private company my dude

>be Epic
>boast one gorillion fortnite players
>need to use fortnitebux to buy TIMED exclusives

So they're not confident that zoomers will buy their shit and need to fuck everyone up, especially other smaller digital distribution? I think at best it's annoying steam, but ebin store is killing off smaller ones.

fucking retarded, total bullshit, some random hyperbole from some literal who.

you're in a tencent shill thread. they're all idiots.

Doesn't valve also have that fuckin weird "flat" company style where besides a board of advisers, noone has a boss and everyone just does whatever the fuck they want and work on what they want?

Gabe wouldn't do that to us

Attached: 8c4d211e70e96a233384ec6b6d285fa25af878276a03ec73dc51c7c47522f37e.jpg (640x660, 37K)

Right now that's definitely true. The future depends on which way things go. It could certainly reach the point where being there is regarded as radioactive among enough people that it'd actually hurt them.
It could just as easily stay as it is though where the store just limps along, snaking a prize treat now and then by throwing buckets of money at it, and the lesser games aren't regarded as "poison" but just "ok, whatever, but I don't really give a shit about that game so don't expect me to buy it." like it is now.
For indie devs, it seems like tencent store's plan is to count on young fortniters being such spergs that that'll buy fucking anything that pops up in front of them, and that's not very valuable even without social stigma.

we both know he would

Start and kill yourself

yes and no

it's supposedly flat in theory, but in practice there is staff that holds more power than others and you need to get on their good side, and because of that there's a lot of weird office politics and other stupid shit. bonuses are given for flashy new features, but maintenance and bugfixing are frowned upon, which is supposedly why a lot of steam features quickly get abandoned.

>Valve drones trying to no u
Lmao cry more about Gabe not having a monopoly anymore

Gabe won't sell Valve because he likes eating and steam gives him a lot of burgers. And Americans like burgers.

>I like some of the big mass sheep stuff (AAAs) and many of this are gone now from Steam.
Like what?
Anthem? The division 2? Destiny 2? Quantic Dreams' games?
I've played some of these and I would have been better off not playing them. The only decent loss is borderlands 3 and who knows if that will actually be good.

Why do people just say he was involved with WoW and not bother to mention Firefall?

>half-life becomes yearly release
I personally hope this happens. Not just to Half-Life but all of their shit.
Valve's IPs like Portal are only liked by non-gamers and retarded furries. Go to FA and look at furfag portal icons using portals to pounce their fairweather-boyfriend-of-the-month. How many of them play TF2? How many scat/fart fetish/furry porn use Gmod or Source Film Maker.
And fuck you don't
>go to FA
me fuck you. That's not a rebuttal. Your shitty IPs that -YOU- helped make popular Yea Forums TF2 is YOUR fucking doing suck ass and are a wart on the ass of gaming. Fuck you and fuck their IPs.
To see the shitty IPS like Tf2/HalfLife/Portal ruined and pissed on will bring me much joy.
And don't call me an epic-shill or chinamen. I'm a southern american in this backwater state of Tennessee. I'm just onto what illness Valve brought upon gaming. Steam sucks ass. Valve's games give a rusty trombone and only liked by non-gamers. Don't forget that Portal was the start of the fake-gamer shit CAKE IS A LIE XXDD IM A GRRRLLL. Do you not remember that shit?
Fuck Valve.I'm all for Epic and their shitty ways if it means fucking Valve and it's fans in the ass.

who hurt you user?

have a snickers dude you're not you when you're hungry

>To see the shitty IPS like Tf2/HalfLife/Portal ruined and pissed on will bring me much joy.
You're late as fuck, people have moved on from that shit a long time ago. The problem is you think people like steam because they're valve fanboys, that's just not true, it's like thinking people like itunes because U2 did an ad for them.

Gaben existed. How do I know? Well... I met the sons of Gaben... Both of them. Although the same blood of their father flowed through their veins, the two battled each other fiercely like arch-enemies. It seemed as if they derived some sort of twisted pleasure from this brotherly fighting. But in the end... only one was left standing.

Attached: 1.jpg (390x390, 26K)

I like epic they give a free game out every two weeks what's not to like I don't give a shit about more launchers because it's just the way shit is now I haven't bought a single thing on epic and lament the loss of physical pc releases

same reason why they don't mention he was a glorified producer and left before wow even released

Why does a WoW developer care?
Did blizzard and valve try and negotiate WoW for steam at one point?

haha can you imagine the smell

It's obviously just a spotlight grab as he's irrelevant, quite literally in anything he has to speculate about Valve. Not sure why people are giving him more noteworthiness than your simple anonymous pundit who's been spouting this since at least 2014.