Miyamoto calls Casual Gamers Pathetic

> Me and my staff are not designing games for “the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland.
> Their attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ It’s kind of a passive attitude they’re taking, and to me it’s kind of pathetic. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games].

Attached: Miyamoto.jpg (484x640, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eedQkVIIT28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

holy fucking based

so he's calling out nintendo users?

would've been the perfect first post

More Real Miyamoto quotes
> "What the other companies are doing makes business sense," Miyamoto said. "But it's boring. The same games appear on every system. At Nintendo, we want an environment where game creators can collaborate and think of ideas for games that could have never happened before."
> "I think that with an RPG you are completely bound hand and foot, and can't move. But gradually you become able to move your hands and legs... you become slightly untied. And in the end, you feel powerful. So what you get out of an RPG is a feeling of happiness. But I don't think they're something that's fundamentally fun to play. With a game like that, anyone can become really good at it. With Mario though, if you're not good at it, you may never get good."
> "I will never make movie-like games"; "They want to tell stories that will touch people's hearts. And while I understand that desire, the trend worries me. It should be the experience, that is touching. What I strive for is to make the person playing the game the director
Is he /ourguy/ Yea Forums?

This is just gonna end in console warring but every thing he said is pretty based desu

> Hates Movie games & RPGs
> Likes Metal Gear Solid & EarthBound
What did he mean by this?

BASED

he's a person just like anyone else, he has some good and some bad opinions

Where are the sources for any of these quotes?

This is the same guy that invented wagglin. Sometimes I wonder if Miyamoto actually plays his own games for more than 15 mins.

Toddlers BTFO yet again

Attached: Crying nintendronę.webm (848x604, 2.99M)

he's right, if you want to go watch a movie play a ps4 game or something

>Me and my staff are not designing games for “the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie"
HOW WILL SO(N)Y FAGS RECOVER

> Is he right Yea Forums?
> "I’ll put my neck out and say that PlayStation games look good, but are not finished at all in my opinion. A game is finished when a creator decides it is. There are lots of games developed for Nintendo that have to be refused release because they are not finished. When you are making a game the creator must not allow it to be release because he is satisfied, he must always think about the player’s feelings and wishes. Self-satisfaction is not conducive to creativity. I think that European painters – like the impressionist Cezanne, for example – were always thinking about how to surprise the customer – to impress them in a gallery. It is very important."

3rdpbp

That's the second post though

Well he did say he loved NiGHTS, EarthBound, Ocarina of Time, Mario Bros 2, Splatoon, Mario Maker, DKCountry & Pikimin 3

Yes, the only appeal for Sony developed titles are their graphics & cinematic cutscenes

Cope, Miyamoto basically shit on every western developer

Wagglan had some neat applications and was very video gamey at least
Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, and MadWorld

face it nincel. Nintendo IS the home of casual gamers

SEETHING
> Best Selling PS4 games
> 1. Grand Theft Auto V (19 Million)
> 2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (15 Million)
> 3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (13 Million)
> 4. Call of Duty: WWII (13 Million)
> 5. FIFA 18 (11.8 Million)
> 6. FIFA 17 (10.9 Million)
> 7. Uncharted 4 (10.3 Million)
> 8. Horizon Zero Dawn (10 Million)
> 9. Spider-Man (9 Million)
> 10. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (8.4 Million)
> 11. Fallout 4 (8.4 Million)
> 12. FIFA 16 (8.2 Million)
> 13. Star Wars Battlefront (8 Million)
> 14. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (7.5 Million)
> 15. Battlefield 1 (7.2 Million)

Are we gonna pretend that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon aren't the most normalfag casual shit?

>Man who only makes games targeting casuals for more than a decade hates casuals.

He is a casual.

How old is this quote? Since the Wii they've been deliberately shoving ultra-casual easymodes into their games

Cope

>more normalfag than fucking fifa or call of duty
I'll give you Pokemon, but the others are nowhere near that level of normalfag no matter how much people try to tell you

Nothing is remotely as normalfag as COD, GTA, NHL, Madden, Fifa or NBA 2K

Not him, but Mario is undeniably normalfag fare.

It always has been.

>shits all over Paper Mario

Nah you senile old fuck, your shitty gimmicky games aren't the least bit fun. The first 2 Paper Mario games have more soul than any of the New schlop you have endlessly commissioned.

>All this cope and damage control
LEL

Attached: Nintendrones.jpg (800x600, 170K)

The last point is solid, the other 2 are fucking retarded and don't make any sense. Maybe the first one would if it didn't make him a huge fucking hypocrite. The creator of fucking Mario thinks releasing the same game for every system is boring? He's up his own ass.

COPE Snoygger

I wonder if normalfags have 100%ed a Mario game (or any game in general).

my 60 y/o mother plays mario, it's casual as hell.

Seething, most people have never 100 % a mario game & can't beat the original one without cheating.

undeniably based.

I wonder if he realizes that the first two paper mario games and yoshi's island show how much better other people were able to do with Mario and resents it.

Those franchises have been straight sabotaged ever since.

And yet 90% of Mario games have a "play the game for me lol" mode

Attached: 1522987803156.jpg (800x800, 98K)

> BBBUT NINTENDO
> LE NIN-TODDLER GAMES
> SONY GAMES ARE MATURE
> BASED HYPOCRITE
There saved you the trouble of reading this thread when it inevitably reaches 200 + comments

Yeah, my grandma and fat aunt play mario.

He doesn't design the games he just oversees them

How does 100%ing a game factor into them not being repetitive as fuck? That has nothing to do with my point.
>the original one
Jesus. Read my post before you reply to it.

COPE, you are actually a stupid piece of shit if you think all mainline Mario & Zelda games are the same. Only Twilight Princess was a literal rehash, And Miyamoto shit on it for being souless

paper mario fags are delusional as fuck
at least half of ttyd is boring mindless trash and i cant even remember the first one
eat shit

fuck casuals
fuck retards who scream at devs to put an easy mode
fuck people who play on auto on any DMC game
fuck people who literally pay money to win games
fuck people who think not adding a casual mode is a form of gatekeeping
learn how to play the game you braindead fags

based

>tfw you will NEVER EVER hear anyone even so much as tangentially related to a Western AAA developer or publisher EVER say anything REMOTELY like this

Attached: 1508965015663.png (2000x1749, 876K)

BUZZWORD, maybe if you actually read my post you'd realize I never even mentioned Zelda you obsessed faggot. The Mario series was getting stale and boring, it wasn't until Odyssey that they stopped trying to sell a reskinned NSMB.

> Every AAA Western dev Idolizes Miyamoto & the Zelda/Metroid/Mario Franchises
> Miyamoto just causally shits on all of their games
He’s literally our guy

That’s why people were struggling with BOTW, that’s why people talk about how hard the challenge road levels in Mario games are. Pokémon you can have but that’s game freaks fault, but Mario games can be hard and typically have post game challenges to test players skills and Zelda games typically have pretty interesting combat and BOTW really did make the game feel challenging.

Cope more Unfarted fag.

He literally says that RPGs give a feeling of happiness and that he understands the desire to tell a story that movie games like MGS does. It just isn't what he strives to do, he's not saying those games are bad or that he hates them, he's just saying that they're not in line with his game design philosophy.
And he's pretty correct too, the fundamental jrpg gameplay by itself is hardly the pinnacle of game design, which is why JRPGs are always primarily judged by their story or atmosphere or pretty much anything but gameplay. But they're still enjoyable experiences.

Miyamoto is basically what Yea Forums would be if they actually put their mouth where their money is whenever fakers on here try to pretend they value gameplay above everything else.

I said it once and I say it again, this is why I'm getting an Xbox Scarlett Anaconda and handheld only Nintendo Switch next gen.

Warren Spector was all about player agency. Looking Glass was too good for this world.

And only 4 of those are exclusives

Go back

God that's so fucking pathetic.

Why the flying fuck is he crying, he didn't even know the guy. I was waiting for him to finally retire and let someone else take the reins. Nintendo has gotten better since he died.

he isn't doing a very good job at that either

if this is real, lefty journos are gonna REEE so hard

The ones who continue to challenge themselves by finishing Nintendo games with additional challenges, having the most speedrunners, and the most people interested in how exactly their games are so well made? No, not them, Nintendo users are good.

/edgy/

>"I will never make movie-like games";
Based and redpilled

> "I will never make movie-like games"; "They want to tell stories that will touch people's hearts. And while I understand that desire, the trend worries me. It should be the experience, that is touching. What I strive for is to make the person playing the game the director
Jesus fucking Christ, could he be anymore based? I like how Nintendo and Microsoft don't want to make the same movie shit Sony keeps making because a bunch of casuals wants them to.

I love coming to Nintendo threads and watching seething jealous assmad Sonyfags losing their shit lmao! Why are Nintendo so fucking based?

Attached: Ohmy.jpg (250x299, 8K)

Attached: 1553336033323.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

Because video games. And nothing else. Absolutely.

EASY MODE

Attached: 1547300114267.jpg (848x1024, 90K)

They do this with Xbox threads all the time as well, it's fucking hilarious, they're so assmad that Nintendo and Microsoft make video games and Sony doesn't. Sony's isn't even coming to E3 this year while Microsoft and Nintendo are preparing big shows. Both also seem very based in terms of video games.

What did we do do deserve a man as based as this?

Attached: giphy.gif (500x511, 759K)

BASEDNESS OVERLOAD

Attached: 518QibTF1DL._SX425_.jpg (425x280, 34K)

based shiggy

i don't even give a fuck that he's grieving. but why is he recording it for people to watch? that's some top tier self importance.

I know, why do people record their lives today.

Source you dumb nigger

He chose that specific moment, right when he was recording, to cry for a man he did not know.

Think about THAT

Attached: 1554445770295.png (205x245, 119K)

> "What the other companies are doing makes business sense," Miyamoto said. "But it's boring. The same games appear on every system. At Nintendo, we want an environment where game creators can collaborate and think of ideas for games that could have never happened before."
>every game is stupid mario brothers clone
LOL

>Miyamoto in any capacity
>seething Paper Mario fags immediately start bitching
Like clockwork

>dude everyone who doesn't play my games are casual. Just ignore the piss easy ninshito games that I've been designing for the last 20 years for kiddies
>dude like everyone makes the same games lol just ignore Super Mario goes to Cotton Candy Land 294, "Save Zelda, Link!" 749, Pakehman ABCD123XYZSuperUltraGoldSilverPlatinum version 1084!

Stupid faggot nip

Why was this gen so bad?

Attached: 1539948893696.jpg (680x644, 50K)

Link to the article?

There's a difference between deliberately making simple games children can play and making games for people too retarded to play anything more than an interactive movie.

so normalfags are manchildren?
so people who play
>> 1. Grand Theft Auto V (19 Million)
> 2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (15 Million)
> 3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (13 Million)
> 4. Call of Duty: WWII (13 Million)
> 5. FIFA 18 (11.8 Million)
> 6. FIFA 17 (10.9 Million)
> 7. Uncharted 4 (10.3 Million)
> 8. Horizon Zero Dawn (10 Million)
> 9. Spider-Man (9 Million)
> 10. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (8.4 Million)
are manchildren?

yeah sure, we can agree on that

Honestly, as someone who played the original, I don't know why people cling on to that series so much. After a point, you knew they'd take the whole paper thing too far. Let things just die already instead of being a living husk for the sake of "muh sequels". No fucking wonder Nintendo is in a rut in regards to new IPs, Splatoon was practically a blessing in disguise for them. Pikmin is another for them and I feel that one's about to enter stagnation as well. F-Zero is barely taken advantage of as a IP, but at the same time, there's already hundreds of IPs that are familiar and similar to it. Mario as a franchise has now lent itself for creativity for the community and that actually helped them, but Mario as a whole is still quite... stuck in time and with no actual progress and on a eternal status quo. Most they got is Odyssey and I'd actually be super syked of anything else happened after that messed up ending but we know it won't. Kirby is just Kirby (a bit stagnated as well) and Zelda... Well at least that one has new plots.

"Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

-Shigeru

That quote is literally false though and Miyamoto himself said he never said anything like that.

Literally all of this is gay vomit

Miyamoto is a moron. Of all the non-Nintendo games he was asked which was his favorite, he chose fucking Parappa the Rapper

What I don't get is why there aren't a gorillion not Paper Mario indie games like there were Mother "inspired" games. Maybe it's because they can't get away with pixel vomit art. I feel like they could get away with replicating the gameplay without replicating the art. Though I guess the art is half the charm since the gameplay isn't all that riveting.

>> Hates Movie games
Learn to read, retard. He dislikes the trend

>he doesn't believe
Faggot

>Parappa the Rapper

Interesting pick, did he tell exactly why? Then again, it's a easy enough game to get into. I wonder if he likes Um Jammer Lammy as well, since that one's more refined.

nips are based

But it is still all about gameplay, even if gameplay isn't too hard.

>would not want to watch a movie but would rather go to disneyland

So literal children?

Attached: 3.jpg (600x700, 112K)

>coming from a Nintendo executive
I like the guy but come on

Attached: 223606107.gif (245x223, 1.04M)

The problem with MLP isn't that they are watching a Children's show, plenty of people watch Spongebob and are fine, the problem with MLP is that most of the fans want to fuck children, horses, and/or child aged horses.

>the same games appear on every system
I mean really

do not underestimate literal children. I working my 6 year old brain around the clock to beat DKC1-2-3 and Super Mario World/Yoshi's island on the Snes. I eventually did beat all of them.

>he doesn't want to have sex with fillies

Attached: 1554412971220.png (436x416, 201K)

Attached: DBoaL2P.png (1090x738, 58K)

>Mario
You know how few people can do the post-game? People can tend to clear those games because they offer a plethora of collectables compared to the minimum needed to win.
Even with Pokemon, easy as it is, post game can be tough. Not to mention the things you can do to add challenge.

The show does have some pretty good writing. I don't watch the show, but if I had a daughter I'd watch it with her.

He probably plays them but his head is so far up his ass he doesn't notice that nintendo games are for casuals. But that's logical since they are for a younger audience.

>The same games appear on every system

except yours

LEL you think that's pathetic, you should've seen the guy who actually held a youtube memorial for Iwata and even sang a song. Cringed so fucking hard

OP his post doesn't count as the first post so it's the second post you mean
Nintendo games are for a younger audience (children). Why would you think that 's not casual?

Finally getting some critical opinions from him. He used to be a lot more coy about expressing his views on games, but age makes you care less.

They're designed to be beatable by a child, but children are unlikely to beat Dark(er) Side or do shit like 3 heart Ganon.

sounds consistant with miyamoto of the past. you all noticed how people hated sticker star and it's because miyamoto focused on game play.

>bunch of MIT grads that could go into any field decided to do vidya because they genuinely liked it

We will never see its like again

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug, user.

wow edgy 4 year old

Just make normal controllers please, you dingbat.

But Playstation and Xbox controllers suck shit.

>normal
>and Nintendo is considered the casuals company.

>Xbox controllers suck shit
You can point out many flaws in MS but this is not one of them

Both Pro and Joycons are normal controllers with all the industry standard features and only minor gimmicks that don't impact experience when those gimmicks aren't utilised. The only console with a non-normal controller is Xbox with neither gyro nor touch capabilities.

>all these faggots hung up on his first or third quote
>when the second quote is the most redpilled shit i've ever heard a game designer say
>>With a game like that [rpg], anyone can become really good at it

Attached: 1552767083208.png (240x240, 55K)

The man who's responsible for Nintendo stripping away the difficulty in all their games and adding invincible baby modes on top of it is saying that games should be challenging?
The fucking unmitigated gall of this man.

he just got rid of all the artificial difficulty

This thread

Attached: 1553552006559.jpg (406x452, 89K)

This, it perfectly sums up why people like playing RPGs.

>who's responsible for Nintendo stripping away all difficulty in their games
[citation needed]

The guy has nothing to prove

Wojack shitposting is not an argument. What the fuck do you want, a upvote or something?

>But I don't think they're something that's fundamentally fun to play
Its completely fine him feeling this way. But why they fuck did they let a dude who openly "doesnt get" RPGs make major decisions on the Paper Mario series? He destroyed that IP trying to "fix" genre staples like party members and tactical gameplay

Just a Like!

dont worry snoyboys im sure you'll have something to talk about at e3 this year lmao

How is wearing an invincibility suit or watching Luigi just fucking beat the stage for you "removing artificial difficulty"?

You are a retard if you actually believe this, Sony's whole philosophy is to appeal to the casual gamer, what do you base the casual part on exactly? A typical AAA game basically plays itself which other consoles are full of.
No Bloodborne on that list, as expected of such casuals.

Optional things don't count, otherwise you may as well judge difficulties of other games solely by their easy modes.

Jesus Christ, your reading comprehension is retard tier.

>Says he'll never make games that are like movies
>Adds a mode where you watch an NPC slowly beat the level for you

The amount of seething sonyfags in ITT.

Attached: 1534113185942.png (709x462, 660K)

You seriously dont understand basic game design. If youre given an instant win method with no downsides (In Galaxy 2 atleast it only allowed you to get bronze stars), youre always gonna be tempted to use it and it ruins the satisfaction of beating the game on your own mertis cause there was zero point. Cordoning them off into different modes alone fixes this problem

Hol up
Is this fucking NINTENDO talking about challenging games?
What's next, a journalist talking about their experiences as a professional gamer?

Nintendo games and hardware are the epitome of casual, though.

Attached: shit.jpg (600x646, 53K)

Actions speak larger than words, and Nintendo's games since the Wii have been largely casualized into the ground compared to their previous endeavors. The oversimplification of design for the purpose of encapsulating the largest potential market of nongamers and casuals themselves (Which is their marketed intent that is well documented) speaks more volumes than a article that is used to put a untrue spin on their business practices.

t.original fan from the 80's. Modern fans are garbage and have no taste or standards.

Attached: summer camp.png (479x536, 277K)

This seems more accurate though.
It's in-line with Miyamoto's philosophy and also with what Nintendo does.
Making the user in charge of the experience, even if the experience is still piss easy.
I think the first line, about trying to challenge yourself, was a mis-translation.

Oh yeah? Well this video debunks that entirely:
youtube.com/watch?v=eedQkVIIT28

Been reading through this thread and I like nintendo games and sony games and 3rd party games. My question is this: In your opinion what is the hardest Nintendo produced video game?

Attached: 5b41501ff29a9.jpg (1242x1616, 239K)

Miyamoto is the most relevant figure in gaming history, one of the few pushing gaming forwards.

In cinema and vidya Japan has been the driving force for innovation, mostly because of the values inherent to their society, they respect the craft and strive to do better, it's more than consumables unlike in America. This sense of entitlement is making America a dead country in every Art-form and to some extent entertainment.

What makes games different from other forms of entertainment is interactivity and what you get with Mario 64 or BOTW is exactly that, several ways to approach problems, physics etc. Story is secondary in gaming and it'll never be as good as it is in literature or film. He also alludes to the fact that there is a correlation between difficulty/challenge and how enjoyable a game is, something that even gamers have trouble with, always complaining about things like weight limit, difficulty etc. Games and every other form of entertainment should be experienced the way its creator made them, that's what makes the subjective experience so appealing.

There's a question regarding the recent "easy game" debate that people often forget to ask, what happens when a critic reviews a From Soft title (or other "hard" franchise) on easy mode? will they review them on their objective qualities alone? because they aren't known to do that (see Skyrim), and the subjective part of the entertainment will be mostly gone for them.

Miyamoto understands its limitations and strengths that's why he has also said that it's not an art.

If there is a clear option to use cheat and a clear option to not use it, it's no different from difficulty setting, except it doesn't come with frustration of having to redo everything and have later part of the game on easymode if you overestimated yourself, because you can always ask space bitch to show you the way or something.

>They might want to go to Disneyland.
What if I want to go to Disneyland AND play a challenging game?

Zelda 2

no they are talking about the challenge of making new types of games that creates a completly different challenge and experience.

they have that, it's not a very good game.

Nintendo died with the Gamecube, just like how SEGA died with the Dreamcast. The only difference between the two is that there's a half-living ghost wearing the slowly rotting corpse of the former.

F-Zero GX or Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

I mean, you're not wrong.

Attached: free shrugs.png (549x437, 159K)

That game is a bit of a bitch to beat the first time but there is something comfy about those side scrolling villages.

GX was baisically made by Sega.

100 basedu

Attached: nintendo fans.jpg (959x1489, 119K)

I know I asked for opinions and I accept yours but I didn't have any trouble with Punch Out... GX on the other hand took some doing but not as much as some other titles on nintendo consoles.

This is horrible. Sadly, it is the truth. Pre-Wii Nintendo is definitely different from post-Wii Nintendo.

>With a game like that, anyone can become really good at it.

Miyamoto is more based than i thought

so why did they make the WW remake easier?

How'd they make it easier other than making the triforce shards part less insufferable? Also they let you pick hero mode straight from the start, just play in that.

it wasnt easier it was less time consuming. they gave you a speed boost and removed the charts because people complained about too much adventure.

You babbling retard. You’re talking as if NSMB was rehashed like some Western shit game a la AssCreed or COD when in reality, it’s been released on two different consoles and 2 different portables which is totally understandable. You retards always blow it out of proportion. It’s like all you can see is the title and never bother to look at the gameplay. That’s what happens when you’re so used to content that’s essentially a movie.

>Wii Music

Finally a game for hardcore music players like myself. Thanks Miyamoto. And thanks for killing the Majora's Mask project for Twilight Princess and turning it into a fucking rail shooter. Good thing we have your hardcore sensibilities saving games from casuals.

fair enough, maybe its because i haven't played it since i was younger but i just couldn't get into it because it felt too easy.

For context, this was in response to a question about why Nintendo prematurely abandoned the Wii. They literally just didn't want to make those types of games.

It may indeed reduce your satisfaction but, logically, it absolutely should not.

BASED

>But I don't think they're something that's fundamentally fun to play.

So why didn't D&D games die out in the 70's? On the matter, why doesn't Link start out OP as fuck in Zelda games instead of giving me pocket change equipment to start with?

>No sources
>Everyone responds like an 8 year old
This place has gone to utter shit.

Conquest on clasic fucked me up real bad, but i think its because I suck hard.

>Edge issue from 4 years ago
>easily searchable
Yes user, youre a complete retard.

imagine caring about the cancerous maggot that was about to take Nintendo down with his outdated decision

Attached: gshdkasjdhnvzx.png (644x528, 550K)

>edge 271
>october 2014
Newfags everyone.

>cant be bother to google it in 2 sec
>THIS PLACE IS SO SHIT
just leave then :) just like irl no one would ever miss you