First FPS game they made

> First FPS game they made
> Instantly becomes the highest rated & critically acclaimed FPS ever
How did Nintendo do it?

Attached: Metroid Prime Trilogy.jpg (1200x800, 114K)

They didn't. It's made by retro.

Seems natural for Texans to make something surrounding the idea of shooting shit up.

>decides to not do it

and howd they fuck it up?

The staff was mostly made up of former Iguana Entertainment employees, so they had experience with the Turok games.
It's not like it was the first FPS anyone at the studio had ever worked on.

retro heads did Turok before. They realized shooting shit sucks with a controller so they focused on exploration and enemy design

Texans know how to make a good FPS.

> LE POPULAR CONSOLE FPS BAD
> NICHE PC FPS GOOD
Actually Cope more

I'm praising metroid prime though. basic console FPS was a joke until very recently with gyroscopic implementation. It's still no KB+M, but it's way better than using analog for precise aiming.

What

Literally every sentence is a lie

autist

Playing it for the first time, the exploration feels really good and is not as confusing as super (shoot to this exact place and find something) but the controls were the weirdest ones i have ever seen in any console FPS but not hard to learn. Does the sequel has the same controls?

Plenty of PC shooters are way more popular than Metroid Prime, though. Metroid Prime didn't even follow the standard consolized model of FPSs. It did its own thing and was cooler than any of them because of it.

prime 2 yes, prime 3 no. None of them do if you play the trilogy version

> PC Shooters are more popular then Metroid Prime
Keeping telling yourself that Contrarian

Attached: Consensus GOAT Games.jpg (1644x1668, 3.56M)

Notice the number of Half-Life 2s on that list.

By not using dual analog controls in their game. Any retard who wants dual analog for Prime 4 needs to be lynched.

Why did FF6 become so popular? I always thought FF7 was the preferred one

like 99% of games from gen 5, it aged like shit

nintendo makes sooo many good games bros
how DO they do it?

FF7 aged like shit, the nostalgia goggles wore off & people realized that 6, 9, 10 & Tactics were better

It's a really long story

Want me to tell it?

Yes

You know it's fucking sad that Pokemon is the only major Nintendo IP that isn't on there

how is it sad?

PokeFags have been suffering with a garbage developer like GameFreak for over 20 years, while seeing other Nintendo IP's constistently get great games

Is it weird if prime 2 is my favorite?

this isn't sad in the slightest, pokemon doesn't deserve shit especially after the debacles that were the 3ds/switch games

All shitposting aside, their management isn't entirely comprised of bean-counting media moguls who don't know shit about the development process.

I'd say so. Prime 2 is kind of a bloated mess compared to the first game.

no, 2 is the better game in almost every regard

No way. Beam ammo is stupid, the maps are way too big for their own good, the final temple key hunt drags the game on too long, and Dark Aether is annoying.

>Reddit loves Melee
That explains everything

beam ammo is excellent, you never run out aside from bosses or beam combo spam so you need to be diligent when necessary but can let loose in normal circumstances. the map sizes are bigger since there are fewer areas, not sure how they're "too big" (if anything prime 1 was too big since all of magmoor should have been axed). Dark Aether added a new layer of traversal and was fun to go between. I agree on the sky temple key hunt though, but stuff like better bosses, challenge, items, and music take it above 1 for me

Most people who grew up with Melee love melee. It's different from being a melee fag. Reddit sucks any new Smash Bros title's cock nonstop.

They got Americans to do it.
Also FEAR still continues to be the greatest FPS of all time, though Prime is still great for totally different reasons.
He's right though fag. But with the rise of gyro controls console FPS might actually be pretty damn good.

>Hire a bunch of dudes who worked on Half-Life, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Quake, Quake 3, Final Doom, and the entire Turok franchise
>"Oh shit, how did these guys make a good FPS?"
This is how dumb you look. Retro already had a ton of guys with FPS experience under their belts on the team, so it would have been more surprising if they DIDN'T release something good.

FF7 was insanely popular and internet contrarians couldn't allow themselves to like popular things so FF6 was memed as the best FF just to spite FF7 newfags

what? pretty sure it was a few guys who worked on turok

It was by no means instant

We were almost shut down many times over and on several occasions I thought I was going to be fired. Not for any shortcomings but because waves of layoffs tore through us like butter. Meetings would drag on and if you were lucky you'd come back to find a folder with work to do, and not a pink slip underneath.

We were split among five different projects, and ultimately every single one of them was shuttered to focus on Metroid. It was a strange case of tons of money gathering lots of talent but no overarching direction and nearly zero cohesion. I'm not sure where the absurd amount of funding came from but Jeff kept bringing more and more people in from the broadest fields (even if he himself didn't stick around much to direct WHICH WAS HIS JOB).

Eventually Nintendo realized how poor a job Jeff was doing (as well as a separate scandal), they stepped in to buy the majority of the stock essentially making us a second party to them. As majority shareholder they kicked out Jeff and replaced him with an interim guy (and then a second more permanent one later on). Everything had been severely delayed and we were bleeding money with absolutely nothing to show for it. Nintendo was gearing up to completely dismantle the few of us that remained and worked on Metroid Prime. It wasn't until the review scores came in (specifically the sales numbers) that they pulled a complete 180 and had us immediately begin work on the sequel (using the assets we had already development and most the same team). They didn't expect for the game to be a hit, they just wanted to make back some of the money they'd invested

Unfortunately it wasn't to last since the executives turned around and severely cut the agreed-upon royalties. What was once an even divide was split severely into favoring just a couple employees. Suffice it to say this didn't go over well and the few people that didn't immediately leave deci

With the Nintendo bonus.

Attached: hmm.png (500x566, 36K)

gyro controls are even worse than analog sticks

no, they arn't. They're far more precise and rapid

Damn.
Kind of sucks ass that good teams get fucked over by greedy cocksuckers.

Wish nintendo would hire the guys who did prime to make another fps for the company.

Which is owned by Nintendo.

should we even classify metroid prime as an fps?
most of the gameplay focus is not on the shooting part after all

So Sekiro is made by Activision?

But has very little to do with Nintendo. They're a medium sized dev team in Texas.

they hired someone else to do it

Not at all. The love for Prime 1 is nostalgiafagging. The major complaints I hear about 2 are shit that were worse in 1.
>Backtracking is somehow worse in 2 despite there being a fast travel system at the end of the game and more conveniently placed elevators
>Key fetch quest is somehow worse despite the fact you can start getting keys with the dark visor
I never got the complaints around beam ammo. In Prime 1, the Plasma beam outclasses everything else and you'll have almost no reason to use the others aside from color-coded pirates and doors and maybe some situation enemies like metroids and flying pirates. Complaints about difficulty are from shitters who probably haven't touched the game since they were kids or are just shit at games in general. In both games, dying feels impossible outside of 1 or 2 boss fights.
t. fag who played through both Prime 1 and 2 recently with hints turned off.

I still enjoy this game but holy fuck tank controls get on my nerves.

Nah, 2 is the best of the three.

there's only like 2 keys you can acquired before getting the light suit

4 iirc

>So Sekiro is made by Activision?
He's technically right, which is what makes this a bait thread. It was during Prime's production Retro went from 2nd part studio to an owned division of Nintendo.

Nintendo bonus and the shock of a FPS Metroid being playable gave it more acclaim than it deserves. It hasn't even held up well and under deeper scrutiny you can see how it was clearly rushed after you fight Thardus. Before that you have a steady pace of going to new areas, unlocking the ability to explore more places and fighting bosses. After that the game is padded out with a shitty fetch quest that's obnoxious to do without the indicator telling you exactly where to go and you don't have enough new abilities to justify returning to old areas. Can you honestly call a game that's 40% filler a great game?

Attached: 90b.png (640x295, 209K)

It's still a relatively short part of the game. It's tedious, but I don't think it's any worse than all of the midgame backtracking in Prime 1.

2 of them are so out of the way in the dark world you basically need to look up a guide on how to actually reach them without dying

>crashed frigate/phazon mines
>filler
what

Have you had any work since?

To many new people, not the same group the did the first 3

>prime trilogy HD
>with gyro controls

my dick can only be teased so many times

Attached: 2368946.gif (279x271, 2M)

my biggest issue with 2 is that the whole dark Aether crap got tedious real fast
it wasn't all that visually or mechanically different, everything just took longer to do and looked worse

dark world should have either been more fleshed out or else trips to it should have been shorter and more dangerous

Fucking direct when.

Attached: Battle-gear-Varia-suit-2.png (1198x688, 1.09M)

There are people complaining about backtracking....in a metroid game?

backtracking can be fucked up, but it isn't in prime 2. Prime 1 fucks it up with magmoor just padding the game out

I don't disagree. The danger completely fades after you get the dark suit. The Ing weren't really much of a threat neither were enemies that locked you into a room until they were gone.

Not nowadays