>look everywhere in order to make a faithful moveset for him
>every alt is a reference to something
>even take an extra step and give him 2 (two) meta ridley skins
>give him his personality
>give him two of the best taunts in the game
>on top of all of that, reveal him at E3, aka the biggest direct of the year
>everyone just jumps on k rool because he's got the cool back air spike
Where did it all go wrong?

Attached: 250px-Ridley_SSBU.png (250x250, 86K)

No tail pogo, the move he has had in every 2D metroid game.

Literally a worse Bowser

It was only ever a loud minority that was hype for him.

your mom is a worse bowser

The King > Edgy purple lizard

This. They fucked up one of his most iconic moves and put in a ton of other tail-moves. Why does he hold his tail when using ftilt? Looks so stupid

>Janky Up B
>Down Air just doesn't work
>Down B will never normally work
>F-Smash has no range

He's just got some awkward stuff that makes him less fun to play for someone not willing to put in the effort.

Because it makes him look gangsta.

Down B should have execution desu.

There’s literally nothing wrong with Ridley

>Janky up B
Just get good and play him more, you'll get used to it.
>Down air doesn't work
In what sense? It spikes, IIRC. (Might be wrong but I swear it does)
>Down B
Now this is true. His down B is rarely ever worth it, while it is okay, as tips go, it doesn't really match his moveset.
>F smash
His other smashes are real good, making up for a "meh" fsmash imo

He's low tier but fun with that whack command grab and great air game, I'm just glad he's in

You retarded son? Maybe you should actually watch a smash tournament before trying to make a thread about smash meta.

the tradeoff for the Fsmash being so short is that it hits really hard and comes out fast

plus it can hit below the stage

I think down B should do more shield damage, though, since it does almost nothing

As a Ridley main I'm glad he doesn't get that much attention. A better fate than Roolbros got sadly

Attached: 0dbc68f1-3105-4a7d-b9b6-a075c01fb37f.png (1280x1280, 1.12M)

>tfw a shitter online Ike literally side b's right into Skewer

Attached: fa766205-3fcc-4ba1-aa57-4fe700d53238.jpg (1280x902, 127K)

Yeah I meant to mention frames and shit but got too lazy. The fact that his down B just puts a nigga to sleep is pretty lame, and can't be comboed into reliably with a follow-up smash. I wish it was like Marth where it just knocks a bitch into orbit if you land the tip

Ya'll don't understand the real purpose of his Down-B.
You do it in matches with 4 or more players to force everyone to stop and look at your move hitting.

you think that looks stupid but want to see a ridiculous pogo stick move that even in 2d form looked like crap and was not even iconic outside of SM?

Getting used to the problem doesn't solve it. Limited recovery directions is a bad thing whether you're accustomed to it or not. I'm having as much fun with my bigass space pirate dragon as the next guy but I'd like to upB at a 45 degree angle sometimes.

While I’d prefer this tail pogo. I’m more irritated that his fair has NO landing hit box. I can’t think of a single stall and fall that didn’t have one until now.

He's fucking in, and I main him.
>but nobody's talking about him
I don't care, he's fucking in.

Attached: rawr_ecks_dee.gif (498x498, 58K)

Down-b works just fine as a one time mix up from down-throw bnb’s and tech chasing. It’s a hard punish stop trying to use it as a standard neutral tool.

I mean yeah he has mediocre recovery, but I'm just saying it's not "janky". It's better than some other characters but worse than others as well. At least it's not just a shitty line straight up. Being able to fake out and swap directions, and having it spike regardless of direction is pretty decent.

It's helpful to condition people to be more cautious, too.

I personally think up-b should do heavy shield damage to make landing onstage as a more vialble option. Really Ridley needs a reason to make opponents weary of shielding outside of side-b. I feel like he’s the only big boy without such an option.

even has the same pose

Attached: ssbu ridley.png (250x250, 81K)

Man Bowser really did look a little off-model in Sm4sh. I’m glad they made his eyes bigger.

This.

Attached: Df6R7IIX0AI1MYi.jpg (800x800, 111K)

he's literally better than bowser

ITT Retards calling Ridley top tier/needs buffs? Are you actually mentally retarded? If ANYTHING he's a top 5 character, literally broken and could use nerfs on his f-smash/N-air. Literally anyone can play him and get elite smash or win a local, he's disgustingly OP and easy to win with.

Forward Smash is actually pretty good. It kills really early yet is pretty safe on shield. The main problem with his Up B though is how slow it is to come out, and while it hits hard I don't think it makes up for it. I'm pretty sure Wolf's is faster and hits harder in fact.

Has fsmash has no fucking lag and kills at 50, it shouldn't have any more range than it does. It isn't anywhere close to meh.

He's so god damn fun, too. 100% worth the wait, I don't care if he's 'bad' because he's a ton of fun to play.

Attached: 1545608716639.jpg (800x640, 114K)

It looks stupid because it's in no way related to the way Ridley attacks or behaves in any Metroid game. It's also bad from a gameplay-perspective

ITT: a retard thinking he knows shit

to add on: people calling inkling strong, meanwhile Ridley has better results. Keep coping gsplets, Ridley is possibly the easiest character to do well with based on his retarded hitboxes and high damage. I won a local with ease after playing him for an hour, and I'm currently elite even though I main Palutena

I’m just pissed that side-b is so di-able. That move should not be killing at 160+ on lightweights.

>That move should not be killing at 160+ on lightweights
You mean it should? Because it absolutely does, c'mon, don't kid yourself

>people actually call ridley a grappler despite having terrible throws and is more of a pseudoswordie

Attached: ad6.gif (500x405, 446K)

>Where did it all go wrong?
When they made Ridley mediocre and LIGHTER THAN FUCKING SAMUS

He means it should be killing a lot earlier than that given how easy it is to punish

as i've said in another thread, they really just need to give him the mewtwo treatment: slightly heavier and slightly better aerial drift

I think it might depend on how stale the move is.

It's high-risk high-reward. It can carry across the stage and rack up well over 10% before the finisher, so it's not a bad kill-option at all. Nowhere as good as Flame Choke, but I don't think the moves should be similar. If anything, make it so enemies can't fucking recover when you use it off-stage to kill yourself

All I really want is for his Dair to not fucking kill him even when he hits something with it. It would be a great follow-up to his Side special if it weren't so terrible off-stage
Its not really high reward though, just high risk, that was the point

Ridley's Fsmash is one of the best smashes in the entire game. Are you high?
Just fix his up B and make it so people can't mash out of down B. Ridley is such a sleeper pick.

t. brainlet (I'm 146 IQ)

>side B to dair
Wut, I can't imagine that ever connecting. But all stall and fall moves suck dick except for ZSS'. It wouldn't be so bad if you could cancel it with a jump or something

There's NO REASON to keep talking about Ridley, we wanted Ridley for years and we finally got him, we are not gonna bitch or be ungrateful bastards, we are happy and we are playing as him, the end.

But they are patching the game, so there's nothing wrong with expressing what you hope to have changed. It's a discussion board after all

Maybe I'm just a shitter but in all the time I've used Ridley I haven't really seen it as really all that high-risk. I've been using it as a sort of short-distance punish tool

Well I feel like it doesn't get used often because it just kills Ridley when used off-stage most of the time, and that's where you'd want to use it. I connect with it a lot, opponents usually just try to use their second jump or recovery to get back on-stage after being sent flying with the side special and Dair nails them pretty easily. It just also kills me most of the time.

Yes, you are a shitter

It just needs to be used sparingly, its really easy to punish if you spam it. I'm probably just bad with Ridley, I main Ganondorf and side specials are his bread-and-butter.

you willing to give a demonstration of Ridley being OP? I dont even think he is bad but just be being a big body it means he instant loses against anyone that picks Palutena which is like 30% of all comp players either main or have a pocket

Down B should break shields and be uncounterable if you sweet spot it. That thing is hard enough to hit with.

Some changes that would make him less clunky to play

>Make dair either cancelable earlier or have him get movement back after he hits something with it
>Make down-b the tail pogo in midair, tone down it's grounded damage but make it work like focus attack, does more shield damage and shieldstun
>Up-b now goes in eight directions but diagonally it's significantly weaker and doesn't go as far
>Give him some more weight, he's the biggest hitbox in the game and he deserves to at least be superheavy-tier

Just a few changes that'd make him play a little better without being too busted, thoughts?

Attached: ridley_crime_changed.png (736x549, 54K)

uncounterable is stupid but as a shield break I think it might be worth using

Literally every move Ridley has is boring as fuck aside from his forward special. He has no flavour to him. He's generic as fuck, shallow, and has nothing at all worth labbing. There is no reason to play him if you're even slightly good at the game because any character who is at all nuanced will feel better to any player above scrub tier.

Literally look at Trela, he beat Awestin, who beat MVD, meaning he's better than one of the top players of the game. With a "low tier" Fuckin retard, just stop coping and accept that he's better than most characters

Nah, I think that’s fine. It’s so difficult to hit that you might as well make the reward extremely worth it.

He also lost to Awestin as well.

t. retard, if he can make Awestin look like a joke, and Awestin can make MVD look like a joke, it literally proves by the ADDITIVE THEORUM that he's literally better than MVD. Fuckin brainlet, just try any "top tier" character and realize how hard it is in comparison to Ridley

Im not the guy you were originally arguing with and I never said he was low tier, however he can never be high tier because the easiest character in the game to play hard counters him into the dust. If Tweek cant win that matchup Im willing to bet that nobody else can either

That's Trela though, it's the same thing as looking at Ike and saying "MAN HE'S SO FUCKING BUSTED" because MKLeo knows what he's doing

There are still people out there shitstomping with Bayonetta even though she's not ez-mode anymore

I'm playing Ridley a ton though. He's my second most played character, first being Palutena. I fucking love those two.

I love the entire Metroid series, and Ridley getting so much love from all over in his Smash rep, coupled with them taking the brutal aspect to the extreme, makes me super happy. That new remix of his theme, his design, the skins and love poured into them, the fucking SKEWER.

I LOVE IT

Attached: 729310235a0e635799f3e470328d29a4.png (969x951, 636K)

>Ridley
>Personality
He's literally just a less cartoony Bowser that screams.
>Everybody hops on a character that has an actual personality and wasn't a 17-year meme
wow

I could beat Tweek with relative ease using my Ridley, and I'm a palutena main. He's that fucking simple

you cant claim to be better than an indisputable top 3 player if you arent willing to either post your tourney results or throw up a lobby

I've realized I don't actually like smash enough to play it competitively even though I wish I did, and I only really like it for the roster.

then you are just like 98% of Yea Forums, congratulations!

I play street fighter so I'm not a stranger to fighting games but smash gameplay and neutral feels so weird to me. Like it doesnt makes sense.

reminder that any sort of personality Ridley has is because of the manga which is barely referenced by the games
he doesn’t even have a backstory

I guess the real question is do people want him to be expended on or just stick to the dick ass sadistic space dragon shtick?

That's because most of Smash is unintuitive in terms of mechanics and controls.

We joke about Anime fighters having air footsies. Smash is actually more air footsies than ground footsies.

>tfw went 3-2 at my local today
Greninja is fun.

Attached: 243578108026212.png (1024x975, 1.28M)

>See the rare Greninja or Fox main in an arena
>they start circle camping and throwing out nairs right next to me but never actually attack and just try to bait me out
why do they do this? Its the most bizarre shit ever and I only ever see those characters do it

Ridley's fine, it's just that K Rool destroys scrubs without requiring you learn how to play as him.

>He's literally just a less cartoony Bowser that screams.
That's pretty fucking disengnouse. Bowser is a jerk but his evilness is largely played in a cartoony/childlike way. He's the bad guy but not irredeemably so and you never get the feeling Mario and Peach truly hate Bowser as much as he's just a recurring rival and annoyance. He's the bad guy but ultimately it's still all played for fun.

Ridley is a screeching sociopath who most of the time comes off as a wild animal but when looked further is just plain a sociopath. He killed samus's parents twice, for shits and giggles and mostly goes around reeking chaos not for power or rivalry but just cause.

He's not the most developed character but his appeal is that compared to the usual Nintendo fair it's interesting you have this thing whose main motivation and drive is: "I just like killing people". Even the more evil characters like Ganon usually do it for stuff like power and control rather then just for the shits and giggles and the only other comparison to a character like Ridley in Nintendo is Porky.

Meant to replay to my bad.
Both.
Expand him but don't give him a sad backstory or any shit like that.

>Just get good and play him more, you'll get used to it.
I am used to it, doesn't stop me wishing it weren't so janky.

No Tail Pogo

Attached: 1522733696992.gif (261x203, 21K)

THIS
what pisses me off more is he has a stupid ass slow and easy to push drop as his down air, which is only usable in any way slightly by the fact he can recover when doing it off stage (but only barely and thats also still punishable by good players so its better to just not do it)

Not to mention Ridley's a much more personal kind of antagonist in relation to the main character, Bowser's all about kidnapping peach or stealing fairies or some shit but Ridley actually has a connection with Samus that spans back to when she was a child
The relationship is inherently different

Attached: 805e6746-4e1c-457d-b0af-5abdbae22a50.jpg (700x921, 126K)

Eh we’re fine now. After all the normie K. Rool’s got bored of the game we haven’t been despised as fuck anymore

Attached: F4B752BD-0B52-49BE-B60B-BA65A70FD785.gif (280x207, 1.1M)

>Give character one command grab
>OMG he's a grappler!!!

It happens with every character who has a command grab. Ridley is no more a grappler than Wario.

Ridley is the most fun newcomer.
Anyone have that nair flip off gif?

Attached: Lanky Dragon.png (687x638, 148K)

Down B should pop shields or be reversible.

>shitters can't into fsmash

I would actually argue Wario's a grappler at least in the smash sense. Chomp is really important to him.
That said, Zangief style grapplers do not exist in smash. Incineroar is the closest we've gotten

Based

Attached: Approving Pirate.jpg (894x894, 292K)

People actually think this?

still waiting on either a lobby or your tourney record, dont ghost me fag

Side-B has an assload of endlag. If you're not getting punished for missing then your opponent is kinda retarded.

>Replying to obvious bait

>he doesn't like gimping the fuck out of people with Plasma Breath
Shit makes me hard

Attached: Space Dragon Alium.jpg (1024x576, 69K)

Yeah that guy is a newfag

Attached: no u.jpg (640x454, 31K)

>fighting against a swordie
>throw them offstage
>they eat 100+ percent just trying to desperately jump back onstage
>either they eventually give up and suicide or they manage to get back only to die to an f-tilt/d-smash at 200%

D I A M O N D S

Attached: ridley_smirk.png (542x398, 493K)

He's one of my most played characters, fun as hell and surprisingly good. The only buffs I'd personally ask for is to buff him up to superheavy weight and fix his half baked up-b

Attached: 250px-Baby_and_Ridley_-_Ceres.jpg (250x141, 6K)

Fuck you Ridleyfags
You may have gotten your shitty dragon but you're still losers who got btfo many times.

Attached: 1525808090145.png (1883x885, 907K)

We still won. So you're the one that got BTFO.

And you're now stuck with a low tier character. Who's laughing now?

me still desu
he’s in the game as a playable character and no amount of whining or goalpost moving will ever change that

Ridley isn't low tier

>hurr only tourneyfag shitfarts matter!
He's in, he's fun, and that's what matters. Same for King K. rool.

Low tier characters dont make top 8 placements

Well he's still in and I'm still having fun so still me friend

Because he is easy to combo in a game where 2 combos executes anybody

Attached: how could this happen.png (415x342, 172K)

I just wish he was fun and exciting against good players. I haven't seen anything that lifts me outta my chair with Ridley.

Attached: 1414986885525.png (461x301, 8K)

>n-no he’s low tier so I still win even though every Ridleyfag got their wish!!!
>REEEEEE

But he's in now so what does that matter?

The strongest victors are those who have failed numerous times before hand

Attached: smug ridley.png (1300x1300, 748K)

3.0 buffs are coming. I can feel it.

Attached: Never say too big.jpg (1024x894, 127K)

but rool is the worst heavy

Really though, why does his up B in the sideways directions have different angles?
It's stupid as fuck, should just be able to manually angle it

>already about as good as one can be with Ridley
>mfw thinking about possible buffs

Attached: 1552962508008.jpg (301x347, 21K)

>tfw instead of getting any buffs, they nerf his nair and dtilt

Attached: 1549898366030.gif (405x414, 181K)

They wouldn't. They aren't that dumb, right?

Ridley was always expected to get in it was just a very long game of patience.
K.Rool was wanted but never expected because of his long hiatus.

well sakurai isnt seeing the balance team so probably not. But Olimar's smashes got fucked in 2.0.0 since they do the same damage regardless of how much you charge them now, so probably yes they are dumb.

the only characters to get nerfed last patch where characters about the same or less viable as Ridley sans Inkling so its possible

Because K. Rool is more fun to play, even if he's bad. Ridley is just boring.

Ridley is more fun to me

>press B and side B over and over again
>fun

he's the most whatever character in the game

>fight against a wolf
>final stock
>side b him off stage
>wolf uses side b to recover
>runs into F-smash with KO effect screen.

Attached: RidleyQnA.jpg (1200x783, 116K)

It’s only been one patch so it’s hard to say for certain, but the team seems to be able to pick apart what’s degenerate and should be outright removed (Luigi 0-deaths), and what simply needs to be tweaked, like bury mechanics, which was actually a buff for all those characters since most weren’t killing with anything sub 70 other than K. Rool

>still no moustache
one job

> other than K. Rool
you cant even hit a Utilt at optimal mash at 70%, if you died to a bury from Rool below 125% you are just bad

I felt this pain when they gave the Geno Mii costume it's own splash screen and slow reveal

Attached: 1552624755818.png (546x164, 12K)

D-tilt buried you for a long ass time pre-patch. I was always playing as k. Rool, but many of my PR ranked friends couldn’t mash out on reaction like d-throw.

Stick 'em on yourself

D-tilt is a pretty risky move with a long ass windup and shitty hitbox so I think it deserves having a pretty long bury

That's not isabelle

Also he looks like a flea

They had to compare him to Kirby DRESSED as Samus in the trailer because comparing him to Samus would look ridiculous

that attack could work with him as a boss, but he is playable now

They made Rool work pretty fine

Imagine caring about where a character falls on pro player tier lists and not just playing your favorite. Fuck characters are ranked individually so playing what’s overpowered is pointless. Elite smash and GSP whoring is killing this game. None of this shit matters unless you’re getting top 8 at tournaments and if you haven’t already gotten to that point you probably never will.
The only retarded thing is no tail pogo. It’s just not faithful to the character.

You fucking idiot smash is a platform fighter, it’s as close as you can get to a platformer bossfight in a pvp game.

why does metroid always get fucked over in smash

D-tilt is actually the perfect speed to punish people who are trigger happy to drop shield against crown, or attack out of shield from a landing bair or cross up nair. Obviously it’s not the best neutral tool. But when the pressures on around kill percent. It’s great for whiff punishing. If it was armored I legit think K. Rool would jump up a tier.

She is pretty good in this one though and she is viable in Melee. She has some jank that should be fixed like her jab combo just not working but I still think she is upper mid tier at worst

Are you me user? I came here to post these exact two complaints

>as good as one can be
Sure

nice excuses

do you... play smash bud?

He's not wrong, and the ellipsis makes you look like a retard.

> It spikes, IIRC. (Might be wrong but I swear it does)
is spikes at the very beginning of the move, then becomes the stale hit, which hits at an upward angle

you can jump out of the move and recover if you land it off stage