Why didn't you guys tell me that this was a literal 10/10?

Why didn't you guys tell me that this was a literal 10/10?

Attached: dk-tropical-freeze-switch.jpg (1024x436, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ss421nbCAJE
youtube.com/watch?v=WA2WjP6sgrc
youtube.com/watch?v=JFP4wn0dejc
youtube.com/watch?v=2Jk6bzXPVhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=95HuSMQSUVo
youtu.be/xwMzeLa8rBY
youtube.com/watch?v=VxQvwRLcIto
youtube.com/watch?v=di6VFegOMfk
youtube.com/watch?v=1d1jTRvxZkQ
youtu.be/1unm0LS10ao
youtube.com/watch?v=bx5ZYOgPHOY
youtube.com/watch?v=NY80bejJBgE
youtube.com/watch?v=pAtd6NBvVA0
youtu.be/RttuiU6zj2k
youtube.com/watch?v=qlk3o_27EWw
youtube.com/watch?v=WHDlJTIYaD0
youtube.com/watch?v=JCwlck3Xpms
nintendowire.com/news/2017/05/06/alexander-brandon-working-unnamed-project-retro-studios/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not big on the bosses, last one especially, but yeah it's a very good game
glad it's not trapped on the Wii U anymore

I've heard nothing but praise for this game here, some even saying it's the best platformer ever.

We did though?
Your mistake was taking the opinion of critics and nostalgiafags seriously

What, did you stay away from every thread that discussed it? I've yet to see a single user make a genuine claim that this game isn't a 10/10 or even not one of the best games this decade

But seriously, why is this allowed?

Attached: GameSpot Tropical Freeze Score.png (2090x538, 230K)

>challenging boss battles as a pro
>also boss battles are harsh, a negative

what

>Employs some cheap and frustrating platforming tricks
sounds like he got filtered

People did

The problem was people chose to hate the game when it was announced. "Oh look another Nintendo 2D platformer", "Looks like a rehash of Donkey Kong Returns", "Where's Metroid Prime?".

Why does Donkey Kong sound so weird in this game?

The real problem is that it was trapped on the WiiU for four years.

It does though, unlike the actual Country games. Particularly the way they hide bonuses is just silly at times. i.e. a random hidden wall

I have a suspicion of people who cite difficulty when criticising a game. I'm sure there are a lot of reviewers nowadays who would say the same thing of the harder parts of DKC2

Pretty much every single person who has played it thinks it's one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time. The only people who complained about it were Primebabbies who were upset Retro weren't making Prime 4.

TF makes DKC2 look like child's play, in terms of difficulty. Tropical Freeze is a genuinely challenging game.

Usually it's fairly obvious where a hidden secret is if you go through the level slowly. The only bullshit parts are the puzzle pieces during the rocket barrel levels that require you to collect all the bananas in a line before the puzzle piece appears.

>that require you to collect all the bananas in a line before the puzzle piece appears.
How are these bullshit?

Yeah, but the game's easy mode, Funky Kong, objectively brings the experience down.

I don't mean anything about the difficulty, none of the DKC games are particluarly hard for me to 101-3% in a few hours. But being forced to play a level multiple times like DKCTF expects me to is just fucked. My brothers and I found every secret in DKC2 without a players guide

would an easy mode make this game better?

>not having the last good console

The re-release literally has one, and no, it doesn't.

>Owning the beta test for the Switch

Because it's a scam. It should be 30€ instead of 60€

>paid online

I've been shilling this game since i bought it for my Switch. It's the only game i'll shill and shove on to people hardcore.

Attached: 1541055044663.gif (220x236, 307K)

>this thread has nothing but people praising it

FUCK YOU Yea Forums, EVERY TIME I TRY DISCUSSING THIS GAMR YOU SICK YOUR UNDERAGE ZOOMERS AT ME OR THE RETARDED FUCKING FALSEFLAGGERS FROM THE WII U ERA WHO WERE BUTTHURT AND WENT FULL FOX AND GRAPES OVER THIS GAME

FUCK YOUUUUUUU

Based.

imagine buying a port that costs more than the original

yikes

I bought the physical copy and im considering getting a digital copy just because i want it on my Switch at all times.I'd buy this game 4 more times if i had the money. Suck my dong.

>haha I'm so retarded look at how retarded I am
>I bet you're so jealous of how retarded I am, suck my dick you will never be as retarded as me
ok

I bought it and hate the controls. They suck shit.

You mean exactly like in the original Country games?

Attached: ostrich.png (256x222, 15K)

Because Yea Forums never discuss actually good games. When they're released, there's no legitimate complaints to make so threads will just go
>game is good
>yes
20 replies and archived. Nothing to make a discussion when everyone is agreeing. Now the sad part is that the 400 replies thread are always the same "muh censored/gaming industry politics/OHNONONO" trash

Did you not fucking play the series? How is throwing barrels at random unmarked walls any different from random hidden walls. At least for the most part you can tell where the hidden walls will be if you use your eyes. Did you want every bonus to be a fucking barrel?

I've been trying to play through it for months but it's just too bland I can't stick with it. Super polished for sure, but utterly soul-less.

It's among one of the worst video game reviews ever. Tropical Freeze is absolutely the best 2D platformer game Nintendo has seen in a decade since the Wii U release. The Jap teams can't even come close, but the same site would rate those higher. I'm thinking of rebuying it on Switch.

Asshurt Metroidfags

>Espresso, Enguarde, and Winky didn't make it back, neither did these special bonus rooms shit sucks.
Ellie Squitter, and the snake a shit.

Because in TF you can check the hidden wall at no cost, in the old ones you hurl your barrel, and you now no longer have a barrel to check the next suspicious wall

>Wants to be able to 100% every level first time without thinking about it

Go play Yoshi or Kirby fag

I don't know what you're talking about, I remember Yea Forums praising it all the time even around release, calling that GameSpot review shit.

Has anyone here managed to beat this level?

Attached: Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze_Level_2_K_Bopopolis.png (1366x768, 1.13M)

That's my point. The original series has just as stupid of hiding places if not more.

Good games aren't worth discussing because you'd be playin' 'em instead.
Sorry, BotW. You're a piece of certified shit. Conceptual blueballs, cornerstone of eternal shitposting on Yea Forums.

It's been a while since I 100%ed Tropical Freeze, but I remember it being not as bad as some of the shit in DKC2.

"oh, what did you mean you didn't know you could just jump through this wall of thorny vines,git gud!"

Honestly only Kirby really applies. People like to cite Yoshi as baby games because there's literal babies in it, but honestly these games are disgusting to 100%. Especially DS and New Island. DS is probably the hardest one in the series because of that two screen dickery. Wooly World and on are the only ones that are fair because you don't have to get everything all in one trip, and in the first game you have power-ups.

youtube.com/watch?v=ss421nbCAJE

Attached: 1442787441787.jpg (379x568, 36K)

youtube.com/watch?v=WA2WjP6sgrc

Attached: bigComfy.jpg (200x409, 13K)

youtube.com/watch?v=JFP4wn0dejc

Attached: 1430045264856.jpg (254x246, 19K)

Yes. And was just about to post it as the prime example of why this game is so good, like the music slowly building up as you progress it:
youtube.com/watch?v=2Jk6bzXPVhQ

Only literal children and braindead people play monkey mascot creatures collecting banana platformer games in 2019 and thinking they are 10/10 when games like Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Sekiro or Destiny 2 exist.

Attached: 1546277732461.jpg (581x767, 92K)

youtube.com/watch?v=95HuSMQSUVo

Attached: 1553220315350.jpg (2522x1578, 1.14M)

Came to post this.

>Song title never fits on the embedded screen
Why's it got to be like this?

nice quads

t. literal child

We've been telling you that for the past, what, 5 years now? I forgot how long this has been out.

>no stage in Smash
Sums up my hatred of Smash Ultimate tbqh

Yeah, like once or so. Fuck that stage.

Same. I had an easier time 100%ing it than DKC2. Finding all the coins in DKC2 was a bitch. Also, animal antics can suck my nuts.

I love this game but I never beat it. I got to one of the final stages in the ice world, and there is this part where DK cannot fucking reach the platform while it's dropping.

>that classic DKC sample at 1:24

soul overload
youtu.be/xwMzeLa8rBY

Roll jump or use Dixie.
Which stage in world 6 anyway, forest one, cliff one, factory one or lava one?

Black Ice Battle was a blast

I've said this before but I'll say it again:

The last 2 DKC games have put 2D Mario to shame and I really gotta wonder what they plan on doing with 2D Mario in the future and if it could ever possibly live up to Donkey Kong

Are you talking about that stage where everything is breaking apart?

youtube.com/watch?v=VxQvwRLcIto

Is there a more soulless series than nu-2D Mario?

Attached: NSMB.jpg (2633x1542, 548K)

youtube.com/watch?v=di6VFegOMfk

Fucking Cemu still can't run it 100% flawless, I don't want to get a Wii U just for this goddammit

>these platformers both use platforms!!!!!!!!!!!

>you hurl your barrel, and you now no longer have a barrel to check the next suspicious wall
Don't they explode on contact if you are carrying the barrel?

Is there an OST with more soul than TF?
youtube.com/watch?v=1d1jTRvxZkQ

Hollow Knight is very soulful, so is Ghost Trick

youtu.be/1unm0LS10ao

Attached: 1550166016761.jpg (1000x1415, 275K)

Honestly NSMB isn't that bad, it's just a bit uninspired. If you've played one, you don't really need to play the others. Mario/Luigi arguably have better movement options than DK and that can be demonstrated in some of the challenges. But playing the same 8 level themes with almost identical graphics gets repetitive. Even though Tropical Freeze had fewer levels, each one was unique and memorable.

>same enemies, same gimmicks, same visuals
Now compare SMB3 to SMW for example.

I never had a Wii U but I listened to this game's soundtrack many times and I finally bought the game when I got a Switch. I was incredibly annoyed when I found out they removed this rendition of Stickerbush Symphony from the credits.

For a while, the Yoshi series. I mean, they hit a homerun with Woolly World, but for many years Yoshi games were subject to the worst kind of abuse any series could receive. No one suffered like Yoshi fans. Maybe Sonic, but that's it. The soundtrack alone took a fucking nosedive. Compare this castle theme it the original Yoshi's Island and you can imagine the sorrow those of us who grew up with Yoshi's Island felt.

youtube.com/watch?v=bx5ZYOgPHOY
youtube.com/watch?v=NY80bejJBgE

Don't even get me started on the one for 3DS. That was an abortion. I wanted to murder the composer
youtube.com/watch?v=pAtd6NBvVA0

Attached: 778.jpg (229x343, 18K)

>Mario/Luigi arguably have better movement options than DK
Doesn't mean anything when they feel like shit to control, DKCR felt more fresh all the way to the end than NSMBW, and it didn't need powerups, pickup gimmicks etc.

If you're Diddy you can get away with it,

Tropical Freeze is better designed around the controls that the game has.

youtu.be/RttuiU6zj2k

Attached: 1550095979030.png (468x345, 226K)

>Not mentioning STory's sound track
I liked bits of it, but there were some awful ones

I can't think of anything cheap in either retro made DK. The temple levels maybe, but you go into those knowing you should keep on your toes.

We did, several times, but no one payed attention because it was stuck on Wii U. I'd argue it's probably the best 2D platformer ever made, truly a masterpiece in every way.
Also obligatory comment on the GOAT soundtrack. Posting most underrated track
youtube.com/watch?v=qlk3o_27EWw

I wish the switch version would've included more levels or something, then I'd have a reason to buy it because I 100% the game on the Wii U, I have no real reason to buy it again.

Bonuses were way more hidden in the originals what are you on? The fake walls are the most obvious things ever.

Anyone else feel that the way DK rolls is just way too fast in these recent games? You can never really use it for platforming or attacking because it rolls too fast. Also no playable Diddy/Dixie is horrible

As soul as it is I really miss the kremling and hope the inevitable sequel brings them back

I wasn't a fan of Yoshi's Story either. I mean, I bought it at the time because I loved Yoshi's Island and assumed we were going to get more of the same. But everything felt so fucking unimpressive by comparison. The final boss being by far the biggest disappointment ever. After getting the radicool final boss from Yoshi's Island, the one in Story felt like such a letdown. What the fuck was that trash anyway? Baby Bowser Riding on some random fucking green ghost?

Attached: Cheers.png (692x402, 357K)

Miyamoto won't allow it

>the inevitable sequel

aren't you the optimistic one

>Hand me the aux cord my dude.
>But dont play garbage.
>start playing youtu.be/RttuiU6zj2k

Attached: yosho.jpg (204x247, 7K)

I wouldn't say they feel like shit to control. I do agree that both Returns and Tropical Freeze are superior games and they make much better use of the mechanics throughout the game. But the challenges do really show off what sort of movement techniques you can pull off in NSMBU when you get good at the game. It's a shame that the actual game pretty much never requires you to do anything close to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=WHDlJTIYaD0

Well age is about to solve that problem now wont it

why wouldnt there be one in the works when the last one was in 2014?

This legit might be my favorite vidya OST of all time.
youtube.com/watch?v=JCwlck3Xpms

>why wouldnt there be one in the works when the last one was in 2014?

Because Retro is now working on Metroid Prime 4 and likely shitcanned whatever other projects they had going on

Retro have been doing nothing but eating prime ribs for the last 5 years, recently Nintendo fucked up by giving out Metroid Prime 4 to nobodies, turns out the game was shaping up terribly so they've been brought on to make it themselves, like they should have been in the first place

Nintendo fucked up hard on that one, fucking idiots

The games are basically unbeatable in co-op without the roll jump, the basic jump is useless for 2/3 of the platforms. Diddy can coast by on his jetpack but DK alone absolutely needs the roll jump. I never used it offensively though, felt too risky.

Retro have been given MP4, don't know how much scope they'll have to finish whatever they've been doing in the last 5 years.

May just have been put on hold

>Nintendo scrap all production because they realized the final product was ending up to be complete shit
Was that based or not?

>implying he isn't immortal
You can never get rid of shiggy diggy doo

are you seriously telling me that you didn't rolljump your way through these games you absolute fucking madman

Attached: 1554268848173.jpg (480x480, 39K)

sure, but true based would have been letting Retro develop it in the first place

>Retro have been doing nothing but eating prime ribs for the last 5 years
They were working on something

Attached: 1548423982959.png (648x540, 90K)

So that means DKR3 is on hold till metroid is done

weird, hope it isn't canned and they manage to finish it, Retro still have the magic touch (as evidenced by this thread)

Retro were supposed to be working on a game that had the composer from Deus Ex, though, remember?
nintendowire.com/news/2017/05/06/alexander-brandon-working-unnamed-project-retro-studios/

>The Last of Us
>Destiny 2

Imagine being a cookie cutter faggot

Attached: bloshi.png (2412x1598, 1.37M)

I did miss the wall jumping in DKC, it's a mechanic that just feels "right" wherever it shows up

I just hate how roll jumps feels like it rockets you with no way you can properly gauge the distance like in the original DKC. It's simply too fast and the distance feels unpredictable

Because I did. Although this was back in 2014 and I don't talk about 5 year old games that are no longer relevant

I derive no fun from it. I really wanted to like it because the visuals and music are incredible but I just get bored. Aight its probably my fault and I need to find some time when I'll be down to play it. That said, there's one kinda-major flaw, I find that a lot of the levels have traps that require you to die to them to learn they're there. Not necessarily traps but also sections that require a precise trajectory which you learn after dying. I find that it wasn't like that in the original Country games, the level design was smarter where if you had fine-tuned skills you could ace levels that you never played before since they don't have sections you have to learn by trial and error.

I always rolljump, it's like hardwired into my brain at this point

I never ever had that issue, I found the entire game fairly easy, barring the last boss fight and final secret level

I honestly think Nintendo lied between their teeth and they didn't even start Metroid Prime 4 before that point. That's not unheard of. It was literally a dog ate my homework tier excuse. Also considering that within 2 years they showed nothing but a fucking logo.

>trial and error gameplay
Dunno what game you're playing. That said, DKC isn't Sonic, you're supposed to be a bit more cautious and not just run full speed through the level

Same, it feels so good to use too

only bad thing about this game is that the enemies are shit compared to the kremlings. also the bonus levels were repetitive as fuck because they all had the same aesthetic

I've never encountered anything like this in the game, perhaps the only exceptions are a few of the puzzle pieces. Anyone remotely decent at platformers should be able to complete most of the levels on their first attempts if they don't worry about puzzle pieces/KONG letters (excluding the temple levels).

>not just run full speed through the level
The game is still designed for this style of play. Go watch any speed run and you'll see that the levels are laid out in a way that lets players run through them as efficiently as humanly possible. It's one of the few games I like watching speed runs for.

They're generic mooks dude. And Kremlings haven't been interesting since they've been homogenized into Kritters, sometimes Klaptraps, Klumps and those bees from Country 1 and 2 that decided to stick around.

Funky mode makes goat any% speedruns. optimally funky vs dk saves 45mins with doublejumps and roll speed

I liked the dopey penguins :~)

We did? Every single day for literally half a decade.

spbp

Attached: Holy trinity of 2D platformers.jpg (2633x1542, 263K)

Well I think I noticed it more in the first Wii game but Im surprised you guys don't relate, I'm not that bad at platformers.

That shit was legit tough

Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are better than at least 2 of those. Just admit Mario is king already.

I love the level so much I'm unironically speedrunning it with donkey (I'm shit though)

this is where you see the level design is genius, there's actually multiple ways to skip entire sections if you know what you're doing

>SMW
Lmao

Attached: SMB3 vs SMW.jpg (1100x3200, 1.15M)

Not even worth addressing

If you're Donkey Kong you can just set it down and it will do the same thing

Honestly I never finished the Wii one, the wagglan with precise platforming didn't work well for me
I should probably pick up the 3DS version

Yeah it took me awhile. The fact that I refused to use any of the helper Kongs for the special levels didn't make it any faster tho

>Hate the controls
The controls are jump and roll, what even is there to hate?

Mario isn't king just because his games sell the most units and benefit the most from brand recognition/loyalty. SMB3 and SMW are extremely bland and measly games compared to masterpieces like DKC2 and Yoshi's Island, same goes for NSMB compared to DKCR/TF.