ITT: Alright Game Journalism

Doesn't change the fact that you should link to pastebin copies.

Attached: 33fbe78a-df8c-402c-852a-e09ae5a2c281.png (762x275, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shmuplations.com/megaman9/
twitch.tv/moshf/clip/ChillyGlutenFreePepperoniGingerPower
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How would I become a games journalist without any connections or travel money? I want to make a difference in something I'm passionate about.

Just don't care about gaming in general like the other gaming journalists.

You pathetic racists never cease to make me laugh at your "game journalism is bad" threads. But seriously, we can't let the consumers decide what they like and play.

But I want to be different.

>But I want to be different.
Haha you're funny. Now shill this AAA game

Is this okay game journalism?
>shmuplations.com/megaman9/

I'm begging for real advice

youtube and do your thing then

I'd say start a blog or something and use that as a means to try to make some sort of name for yourself.
From there apply for a job at your game journo website of choice.

make youtube videos about video games and related things
get some following, ask game companies for review copies

bandwidthlets

isn't pcgamer normally the more restrained reviews? as opposed to polygon, kotaku, marysue, and maybe rockpapershotgun if im remembering correctly

Start your own youtube channel and build it from the ground up, pulling yourself up by the bootstraps boy. Whats that? You don't have the time, money or review copies because you don't mindlessly shill for corporations? Tough shit, should've picked a real career path bucko.

Is it possible to make it solo? Especially without taking promotions from publishers

If you get popular enough otherwise you'll need a patreon or something

The Anthem Kotaku piece was actual video game journalism, and if anyone disagree, they're a tremendous faggot.

Not even close. These companies would unironically kill either metaphorically or literally if you ever got a big enough following to hurt their bottom line and make a change. This is how the world works.

>hours of full motion video
>massive texture packs
The file size is low because every area looks the same and enemy models are reused thought the game. It needed more assets for the sake of gameplay variety. 12 gigs ain't shit by 4 years ago standards.

Yes if you're good and dedicated.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (720x736, 32K)

i have no doubt that broken clocks can tell the right time once in a while user, you would be pretty worried if they didn't produce a single game journalism piece in the last 10 years

Too bad they can't do that all the time

Thanks for the input guys. What topics should I focus on? I don't want the quartering style cringey appeal, I want to be a legit journalist.

I mean game journalism has literally no reason to exist anymore. Just watch a Youtube video of the gameplay footage. Now that it's so easily accessible to make your own conclusions on a game from watching a longplay, reviews are mostly obsolete

>dude HD textures are bad cause I cant afford good internet.
Fuck off.

Unreal engine is bloated garbage.

Your best way to make money here is to make YouTube video essays.

the incredible jump in computing technology and the disappearance of limitations of physical distribution has pretty much pruned competent programmers from video game industry and replaced them with 10 bucks an hour code monkeys who whip up quick and dirty unoptimized and bloated garbage.

>implying longplays that don't have screeching eceleb #13423152 are easy to find these days
YouTube's algorithm only pushes the cancer, finding non-commentary longplays is near-impossible now.

There's no money in writing passionately about video games, user. Give up on this silly dream of yours. Why do you think games journalism is complete garbage in the first place?

problem, incels?

Attached: gamersaredead.jpg (2160x2250, 619K)

How would you say I should structure them?

>pro game jurno is a totalitarian
checks out.

>Thanks for the input guys. What topics should I focus on?
That's up to you and this is where the good and dedicated part come in. Get to work.

these are the exact same people crying about sekiro not having an easy mode
>reee gamers dont have to be your audience me me me i'm the important one add easy mode for meeee

Believe in me, brother.

and when the reviews would be needed, such as game length or informed opinions about endgame, it's information that you don't get because they push pre-release for clicks and employ people who aren't able to play games anyway.

No, that's ACTUAL game journalism, more work put into this than the entire ign website since the start of this year

Roger that. I'm scared and I feel a little sick to my stomach thinking about it.

Just do what you want and try to have fun with it.
Shoot from the hip and learn as you go.
If you're banking on being an overnight sensation you're kidding yourself and setting yourself up for disappointment.

There are literally thousands if not more people who want to be game journalists. What do you have what they don't? How are you better from them? If you think you actually have some valuable skill, or uniqueness you should make content focused on that.
But you are probably just like the rest of them, talentless and boring confusing wasting time playing vidya with actual passion. In that case you should get a real job and stop dreaming about playing for a living.

Attached: danicing_leland.gif (500x344, 1020K)

Honestly, Sekiro could've used a bit more texture variety in some areas.
Those repeating tiled rock foundation textures were a bit too much.
I really miss the floppy ragdolls of BB and DS3 as well.

You are going to be talking about fucking videogames. It's not like you're addressing the JQ while showing your face. Put up or shut up faggot.

Start a blog and write out some nice portfolio pieces.

Write for free for some half decent journo sites.

Talk a lot on social media to grow a presence.

Once you have an okay following and some good written folio pieces start cold emailing and trying to get a part time gig that pays.

You just put "longplay" in the search terms man
Exactly, a lot of reviews have pointed to reviewers not even being able to get to the correct ending due to playing on an easy difficulty anyway
I mean by the nature of the job you have to do a lot of games, practically speaking even people who set out being not halfway shit at games are going to cut corners to get their quotas done

You make them different than your usual deep-voiced british accent pretentious twat with lo-fi in the background. Maybe talk about shit in a non personal manner and treat the subject like a documentary, like GVMERS

I'm going to be real here and say it's not happening, at least not to the scale which you are thinking. Being passionate about videogames and being on Yea Forums in general is completely the opposite of what media outlets are looking for in game journalists.
How many game journalists that spew out dogshit opinion pieces like "Sekiro is discriminating against disabled people" and "Why more games should rewrite history like BFV" do you know who have their own active youtube channel or tweet about their achievements and trials in their current videogame? How many of them can you name that write genuine articles on a videogame without adding a political or social justice angle to it? Do you know the names of any journalists that do? Chances are you know none. The only ones you do know are drama hungry outrage starters like Patricia Hernandez, Ian Miles Cheong, Ben Kutchera, etc.
Now how many youtubers do you know that are passionate about videogames? Tons right? There are so many people that sing the praises of good videogames, lament the shitty practices that companies partake in such as lootboxes, timed exclusivity, on-disc DLC, etc.
But with all that knowledge, why aren't their voices heard as loudly as Ben Kuchera's?

It's because they aren't like you. They don't find videogames enjoyable. They're writers that stir the big shit pot and most of them don't even play videogames. They're paid to be brash and outraged by media companies for clicks and discussion on their latest "hot takes", which is why you will never be a reputable game journalist, because you won't ever be able to stoop down to maining twitter as your favorite game.

The format is dead, user. Everyone's chasing the YouTube Personality gravy train.

Thank you. I will try to keep myself grounded. And I promise to not condemn my brothers here when I do make it. I'll speak of the good in the darkness here.

Be moderately attractive and be charismatic so the other gender will like you more, make lots of funny faces and make everything seem like a big deal. Being charismatic is the key here, make people want to listen to you and you are set. Everything else is an extra, you can check reddit for the popular or controversial opinions you want to display.

Have sex with someone in charge of an online magazine and hide your true opinions in their propaganda articles.

Dunno I enjoy MandeloreGaming and he seems to be doing decent. You don't need to change the world to make a living.

Right.
Thank you for the channel recommendation.
This is somewhat disheartening. But j will push forward nonetheless. I will be the light side version of Ben Kuchera.
>Be moderately attractive and be charismatic so the other gender will like you more
I'm fucked

>I'm fucked
You'll start with a disadvantage if you plan on making videos, but as long as you have a clear voice and a standard accent you'll be fine. Just bring something new to the table or be very good at what everyone else is doing. The only advice I can give you is that click bait titles are a must have if you are expressing your opinion or reporting news.

Got it. I'll work on that. I'm heading to bed and the first thing I'll do when I wake up is get started

>the YouTube Personality gravy train
is nothing new, it's what made longplays and the (no commentary) tag come into existence in the first place

>Just bring something new to the table
That's a very good point.

I like Shamus Young's blog. As someone who is nearing his 50's as well as a former game programmer, he brings a lot of interesting opinions to the table with a specialty in deconstructing shitty plots, like his large articles breaking down GTAV or Fable 2's stories. He has a unique take on things that make it interesting to read his analyses even if you disagree with him. He also completely refuses to discuss politics which is refreshing in current times.

FORMER GAMING JOURNALIST HERE. WORKED FOR SITES YOU'VE HEARD OF.

If you want to do it without connections your only option nowadays is youtube. After GamerGate the sites became more insular and stopped hiring people outside their "inner circles" to ensure the political narrative would be controlled.

Best game reviews are on youtube. The "written article sites" are all garbage now.

The problem with having youtube as your job is that today you're pulling a fine average wage and tomorrow you could be delisted because a bot heard you talk about nigeria and only caught "nig" from it.

twitch.tv/moshf/clip/ChillyGlutenFreePepperoniGingerPower

If you wanna make a difference get a real job

Exactly, but that's not what the guy wants. He wants to be on the same level of attention as the likes of Kotaku, Resetera, etc. You will NEVER get to that level without conforming to leftist ideals simply because there's no one bankrolling pure videogame reviews. Awesome game reviewers on Youtube are plentiful and high quality but they're not "game journalists". Not in the same realm as IGN or Polygon or ever will they be without real corporate funding.