2019, I am forgotten

2019, I am forgotten...

Attached: planetside_2_game-1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 602K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zJS_al-QhBw
youtube.com/watch?v=hbO5LB6MCSA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm playing it right now homo, although I have to shit up Emerald with horrible ping because Briggs is ded, and Connery is just a more populated Briggs with more chinks

I honestly don't see how you could fuck up a concept with this much potential. What happened?

>Missed the PC launch
>Played a few days of the console launch
>Fuckhuge groups drowning objectives in men
>Massive charges
>Casualties everywhere
>Everywhere is well populated
>Most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game
>Game is too dead to ever get a repeat of that
It hurts bros

>tfw sub 2.0 KD
How do I git gud without being an airshitter/MAXnigger

Attached: 1552720172253.png (633x758, 34K)

Greed and favoritism.

It was awesome until they broke The Crown. Then it was merely great. Then they broke Liberating a max altitude, and it was merely good. Then they ported it over to the Playstation engine, and then it was shit.

But what ACTUALLY happened? Is it P2W or something? Server lag just awful making it unfun? I just discovered it's F2P and kinda wanna try it.

Well now it's just kind of ded, there's nothing you can really do about it. In its heyday, it was the literal definition of legendary. There wasn't and probably won't ever be another game like it. A massive open persistent world with a war raging that was 100% dictated by player activity. Truly a marvel.
These days though, there's not much left. The problem with having a game so focused on 200 person battles is that once you stop filling seats, the downward trend can't be stopped.

As a person who engaged with the game for a bit I found it very poorly optimized for low-to-mid-tier PCs (we're talking 20fps on absolute lowest of the low settings) to the point I just stopped trying to play.
The gameplay loop was also a mix of satisfying and unsatisfying because victories felt hollow; you'd capture a point only for it to get zerg rushed literal minutes later by endlessly respawning sunderers.
The resource mechanics of the game mean that apart from the highest-tier vehicles, resources are pretty much endless, so you can't exactly win a war of attrition, and the way lattices work you have difficulty back-capping as well, so you rely on your faction way too much for the global fighting and your individual skill plays a very small part. Like I can get a KDR of 3 and yet all my progress will be reversed in seconds, it's kind of demoralizing.
MAXes are way too good.
I looked into the lore for PS1 and it was actually pretty good, but PS2 went through a series of retcons to the point that nothing in the game is actually explained as to what's being fought over (since there's plenty of room on the planet, nobody dies and there's limitless resources).
According to people who used to play with me, there were a lot of features dropped from PS1.
And it just annoyed me that every single base you go into is basically just metal boxes with the occasional computer, if you go into an "archaeology dig site" sub-base it'll be an empty metal box, if you go to a "barracks" sub-base it'll be an empty metal box, etc. The game really lacks immersion outside the times when you're doing pitched battles with your whole faction at a chokepoint.

However despite everything I've said I only played from 2014-2015, so I'm not a good source of what gripes specifically plague the playerbase today. Part of the reason why I came to this thread is because I'm curious too, but that's just my perspective

I played it in the first year, probably the most multiplayer fun I've ever had since Rising Force Online.

aim better

There user. Thank me later

Attached: AIM BETTER.png (512x640, 3K)

>decent sized group of absolute tryhards on every faction on every server completely crushing the will for new players to continue playing
>shitty design choices
>staff leaving
>numerous major changes that sent some people to leave the game
>Chinks
>rampant cheating (hitbox editing, abusing bugs to glitch under the map, dozens of people having ammo and shooting scripts to farm certs at warpgates (making queues longer))
>terrible balancing issues
>poor freemium choices (30 fucking bucks for a name change)
>network shits itself from time to time
>skyknights and armorfags completely killing all fun in the game

It just got old, that's all. The support and new content also wound down over time. Grinding for the best upgrades for your all your equipment was the realm of those who had way too much time on their hands (like me) rather than those who had money.

There will probably be a Planetside 3 one day. They're not stupid, they know that you can't blame an aging game of its type for eventually losing steam.

thanks anons

>planetside sequel was announced
>its an arena shooter

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.png (1531x1079, 1.28M)

You can still find good fights during prime time. The community is far too autistically dedicated to let the game die completely.

No but seriously use the NS-15m it will force you to aim better.

But that's also what sucks about the game, you can only play it during a certain period of time each day, and even then you don't have many fights to pick from.. sometimes you have to just deal with it and fight in some horrible fight that's not going anywhere. Also the autists keeping the game alive like a zombie should just let it die and maybe someday we might get PS3.

>It gets delayed and ported to PS4 and they haven't communicated about it in over a month and a half
At least DX11 is coming to PS2!
NS15 will force you to aim better but will also get you used to babymode recoil patterns, don't go too far the NS route unless you're a filthy netlimiting Russian using it to abuse lag with sidewinder 5

Oh yeah I forgot about that, thanks for ruining my night. I thought it was a battle royale?

Game has been unplayable off prime time for years now. It's just a fact of the game that you learn to deal with.

Not anymore. They actually listened when the community said it was going to be dogshit. Now it's MAG 2.0

I guess that's true. And there's always different region servers if you wanna play at off-hours. It's always prime time somewhere.

When it came out, there was a single map.
It took years for additional maps to be made.
There are currently 4. When they had three, they decided to reintroduce the concept of Continent locking from the original game.

In the original game, there were a dozen or so continents at launch. Each of which were connected via warp-gates. Locking one simply meant you owned every base and were pushing into their connected continents.
In PS2, it kicks the other two factions off the continent for an hour. Because every continent is a constant 3-way fight with no strategy.

They should have just rereleased the first one with better graphics and updated gunplay. That's all they had to do.

To follow up on that bad decision, you have the vehicles.

All of the bases were designed to be open facilities. Meaning there was no segregated infantry gameplay. Consequently, there was a constant HE vehicle spam, as it was one of the best ways to lock down a spawn room.

However, the basic weapon for most vehicles was not the HE. Because they wanted to get people to spend real money. The default gun could still one shot a trooper, but had a much lower AoE, with HE insta-killing are a rediculous range. Similarly, HE was supposed to be worse at killing other vehicles, but we're talking a difference of 2 shots. Not between HE and standard, but between HE and AP, the rounds designed for killing vehicles.

And that's just tanks. For while, Rocket Pods on Aircraft were similarly hilarious. Except that Anti-Air options had nearly no chance of killing Aircraft. And all of them except a SINGLE Max-Burster arm were premium content. This left the people on the ground with the choice of half a MAX, dumbfire rockets, or paying up...
And the sad fact is, that even when the money was spent, the AA options couldn't even actually kill aircraft. Their range was too short in comparison (especially when the Liberator is brought into the picture) and did next to no damage in relation to the damage they would be receiving from an Aircraft.

We no longer need you, we have Halo.

>tfw MAG is even more forgotten and dead

Wish it could somehow come back.

Apples and oranges user

Then you have the faction balance. For infantry it was fairly balanced. TR had their fast guns, NC had punchy guns, and VS had inbetween guns with no bullet drop.

But, when it came the vehicles, it was terrible.
Take the aircraft. The TR and VS both have vehicles with tiny profiles on multiple angles of attack. The NC have a flying brick with no more health than the other two. Despite stealing the name of the heavier of the two fighter-craft from the first game.

The tank game is similar. The VS had the most mobile tank in the game, being both a hovercraft and their ability being a speed boost. In theory, they had to rotate the entire tank to aim at something, but in practice, they were able to put their tanks in bizarre spots that the other sides had no ability to reach. Often giving them access to better cover. And if they did overextend, their boost could often get them out of a sticky situation easily.
In comparison, the TR had the ability to lock their tank down for faster firing, and the NC had a rather weak shield.

And the worst part is... that this is the extent of the faction specific vehicles. Everything else is Common Pool.

The Liberator is the biggest fuck you to play against though. Like many things, it was worse at launch. When it could idle above a battle and rake in certs. And absolutely no one could touch it. Though, a big part of that is the rampant cheating and aim-hacking combined with the Liberators retarded guns. Which could one shot the fighter-craft with the belly gun. The upgraded nose gun had a hilarious TTK on most other vehicles. And the tail gun could shred fighter-craft.

Then they repeated all of the above mistakes when they could finally be assed to make a new vehicle, when they rolled out the buggy.

FUCK Wrel

That fucking buggy... When it came out, it seemed like it had more health than the faction MBTs. It definitely had more mobility. And being a crewed vehicle, unlike the MBTs in PS2. The driver could concentrate on driving, while the gunner was shooting.

I don't believe it had directional armor like the tanks. Thus, it could jet in, sink shots into the rear of the tanks, then jet out while being repaired by its passenger.

It was rediculously over powered, and they only set about introducing any nerfs to it after months of it being the best vehicle in the game. (After any cash shop perchases could be made.)

were MBTs the quadbikes?

>heavier damage per shot and more health was supposed to balance out the Vanguard
>the extra damage was completely negligible
>the extra health was completely negligible
>paint dried faster than the tank could move or turn, so the extra health was pointless when they're assfucking you anyway
>NC just ended up using the common pool lightning instead

1) Shit optimization
2) SHIT balance
3) SHIT dev decisions (also werl)
4) lag
5) people abusing lag
6) frustrating zerg loop
7) SHIT base design
8) all kinds of cheaters, non-functioning report system.

I cant replace it with anything and keep coming back. Help me.

One of the best games ever made, but you cant play something forever. Fuck the crybaby haters and FUCK the community ruining The Crown, Endless crying. ENDLESS CRYING

Ultimately, though. The biggest thing that killed PS2, was believing and trying to deliver on a PS1 back-of-the-box selling point.

Huge 3-way battles.

In practice, these almost never happened in the original Planetside. A continent was usually a battle between two factions. With two to four bases forming the front line.

In PS2, every continent is a perpetual 3-way fight. With roughly a third of the bases being the front-lines. They changed the way that worked a number of times, but it never really worked, because the continents were too big, with too many independant bases... all of which required a game of King of the Hill to capture.

Main Battle Tank.

oh duhhh i'm a retard

Attached: 1549419802674.webm (900x600, 1.03M)

The constant barrage of explosions was what made the game. Huddling in the spawn room while constant artillery rained down outside, waiting for that occasional but beautiful moment when backup arrives to break the siege and then a semi-suicidal push out of the spawn actually works to save the base. Getting crushed and grinded by the True Crown was fun because you were also crushing and grinding the defenders in a back-and-forth that lasted for hours. Not even the most "authentic" WW2 games could achieve the same experience.

It all started going downhill when they began to remove them and redesign bases for e-sports and balance. Less insanity on the spawns was fine but when everything became too safe it lost the charm.

Remember the crown

That's the thing, though.
The Crown was so popular because it was one of the only defensible bases that wasn't the clusterfuck that Biolabs were.

So, the battles could actually have pitch to them.

I'd get teamkilled so often in this game. In the stats page I had hundreds of deaths from my own faction.

Attached: mossiewhore.jpg (1440x900, 254K)

I remember MAGBro,stay strong.

Attached: 1531388459797.png (463x437, 34K)

i play tf2 as sniper now

>2019
>Still hear the no bullet drop
When will you guys realize that bullet drop only matters in engagement ranges where the weapons aren't worth using because of damage degradation anyway. It only works on the phaseshift which is a shitty sniper with lancer mechanics and the new battle rifle.

shame it died due to bad management, remember playing it back in 2012 where air power was king and barely anyone had any anti-air still miss those insane crown battles

That was just their gun's gimmick.

In theory, they had higher damage drop off as well, but in practice, the numbers weren't different enough to really matter.

Id feel like a pro using the big 50cal Terran Republic sniper and plinking people from absurd ranges with bullet drop taken into account.

>be leader of NC/VS/TR in PS2
>endless war because...
Considering there's no Auraxium, you can print buildings and vehicles and presumably everything you could want in seconds, the planet is huge yet hardly populated or colonized, and people respawn endlessly, why would you even bother fighting?

Except you also have bullet drops on all VS snipers except the Phaseshift. That includes the Parralax, the VS counterpart to the Ramms and Longshot.

and like I realize they have ideological differences but there's nothing stopping them never even going near each other and staying in their respective warpgates
why the fuck did daybreak scrap the concept of auraxium? without it the game's entire central conflict makes no sense

TR fight because they're the rightful government of humanity.
The NC fight because they want out from under that government.

... The VS fight because they're assholes.

VS fight because they're on a mission from God.

they need to get on with PS3. this one is in dead in the water

>The NC fight because they want out from under that government.
But they already are, they are in their own separate warpgate which is unconquerable, same goes for VS who are totally free to pursue their enlightenment thing in their own warpgate.
TR I guess maybe I could understand but even then it still seems pretty illogical, why would they even bother keep trying to control NC/VS when it's impossible to permanently kill either faction and they have nothing TR actually needs?

pew pew im vs i have laser pew pew

>NS-15m
I'm a healslut main on NC, so there's plenty of guns with shit recoil, but will the NS-11A cut it?

It will force you to do better than with the NS15 since you won't have 50 rounds and the overshield that's for sure.

The only reason to play was to take the Crown, but then they changed it all.

Attached: 1529703948684.png (1280x716, 719K)

I still play and dunk on alien faggots daily.

Is DX11 support any good?

The game launched with Indar, Esamir and Amerish. Indar was the only continent in beta, but they added the other 2 for launch. Everyone still played on Indar only though because it was the "default" continent and had all the fights.

Thanks. I wish I never had year-long breaks from the game, because I always come back and play like a complete shitter

What are some similar games which are better and have a much larger playerbase?

>similar
Lmao.
There aren't any and there never will be

None.

The game was flawed from its concept phase and the many things that I say need fixing would be controversial as fuck

What are the best ways to cheese people in this? I remember light tanks would just park up and spam HEAT rounds into the same doorways over and over again in contested areas along with prowlers/vanguards all parked up.
Have they just neutered anything you can drive or fly by now?

Because I lost my account and can never get it back. Took me so fucking long to earn my plane gear I can't just go back.

Attached: 002.jpg (966x790, 49K)

>Getting separated from the convoy with some random bro
>having to trek through miles of swamp or desert while the battle in the distance gets louder the closer we get
>make it to the frontlines
>fuckhuge battle with all factions
>bro and I’s journey has strengthened our bond and we become delta force
Hands down the most immersive multiplayer game ever. It makes me sad to see empty servers.

Jet pack to the top of the towers that most bases have and just fire down onto the team trying to defend.

This game at it's peak was the pinnacle of multipass

>people think DBG will make a ps3
>even though ps arena is their first new game in years
>And its one of their least popular IPs
Theyre more likely to make another everquest if they actually wanted to make money. They just turned planetside into h1z1

Attached: 1678C519-B9A3-4BFC-BDB1-9E8C2CE3940E-6701-00000B4F87F44118.png (225x225, 12K)

That's pretty much how it went for me when playing Firefall a now dead game.

I just got back after a 3 year hiatus a week ago.

>construction
ain't nobody got time for that
>implants
nice idea but pretty much all of them fucking suck

Pop is a lot lower but you can probably find a decent fight if you look for it

VS and NC are still ganging up on TR (objectively the good guys)

I remeber when there were construction bases everywhere... it was kinda cancer but a nice change of pace too.

They were working on a new Everquest. They shitcanned it.

the russian money laundering conglomerate which purchased the game, has been using users account data to process illegal transactions.

The thing is the community kept asking to be able to create 'dynamic' battles outside of bases so being able construct seemed a decent idea. Like a lot of what they done it didn't pan out that way

I know, everquest next but if dbg is actually serious and about making a new game for once itll likely be everquest, barely anyone even knows or remembers the planetside IP.

when DBG took over SOE people said it was some people said basically an asset stripping company. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case

And yet they're working on Planetshite arena and not on EQN

Would have been better to introduce Tremors into the game. Really just any wildlife would be good.

I said actually serious about a NEW game, not a cashgrab asset flip they barely advertised.

had some awesome experiences in early access.

>Rallying people at home base to get in the galaxy for glory and the crown
>get those sweet assist numbers flying back to base for another pick up

>Being at home base while the big convoy gets built up to move out, tanks,infantry and air slowly gaining ground and smashing through resistance until it all falls apart and you start again.

>glorious terrans fighting vanu trannies in the flat open desert
>evenly matched, almost parallel lines of tanks facing off
>vanu typically have the advantage, hover tanks are more maneuverable, can evade shots.
>decide to dig in with the prowler and go out blazing, engie bro pulls up with a spawn point and starts repairs
>take out a couple of tanks and force others back, others prowlers dig in and more engies start repairs
>vanu cant have repair support because they hover all over the place and run infantry over
>Glorious republic wins the day and marches forward. Try the same tactic at next base but get caught in a valley and wiped out.

Those were some good times, shame the playerbase was just not there or the server performance was just too shitty.
NC were fags but god tier soundtrack youtube.com/watch?v=zJS_al-QhBw

>Have they just neutered anything you can drive or fly by now?
Tanks are completely worthless, but being a groundpounder faggot in an ESF is still by far the easiest way to farm salt. Start a new VS/TR and only buy Light PPA/Balanshee and lolpods. Try to find videos starring COMBINEROFARMS for inspiration.

all it needs is more maps. and tools to make map creating easier

Found the video not even 3 seconds after posting this.
youtube.com/watch?v=hbO5LB6MCSA

Theres 1 more map added recently. More maps don't help when the population is low as fuck and some maps like esamir are stil fucked.

More like 2013, I am forgotten.

Attached: 18009.png (870x520, 520K)

What killed it was that the developers removed focus from the crown and spread out the battles. Then, they didn’t allow back capping. You used to be able to walk to any destination and cap the base causing the enemy to redirect their troops to a lost cause and potentially lose a war at a big battle.

>objectively the good guys
sure thing fgt

>what killed it was
>thing that happened like 1 year into game life
shut up retard

>farm infantry all day with HESHspamming / lolpods / libs
>infantry stops playing
>continents are empty
>game dies
>"aboobooo why is my game dead"
Wow who could have thought
The only vehicles available should have been Galaxies, Sunderers and HESH-less MBTs

Attached: 1539473584157.jpg (1920x1080, 395K)

Man I wish we'd get a new game like this that was good and populated.

Really in the mood for this kind of game right now but I don't want to play PS2 with a playerbase of like what 200 people now?

Just wear flak nigga. Thats the best suite upgrade in game imo until they ruined it...

And guess what happened? The game died and that’s a part of why it died you typical Terran scum.

Jesus christ the launch lolpods were a joke, I wouldn't be surprised if half the playerbase quit immediately after a night or two of getting farmed by their xbox sized hitbox and instakill potential

4k players but its divided across servers

Is anybody interested in Arena at all?
It's like the game doesn't exist but the 250 v 250 mode sounds sick and pretty much ideal, no shotguns / infiltrashes / airshits to ruin the fights for everyone

Attached: 1455436543.png (1767x1229, 2.71M)

They didnt mention its 250v250 on a regular continent sized map.
>also lol no shotguns

>ridiculous balance issues
>vanu shitters get all the best weapons and toys
>Infliltrators being ridiculously overpowered
>they were gonna add DX12
>instead they decided to cash in on the meme battle royale shit with Planetside Arena instead of fixing Planetside 2

It's all a fucking mess and it pisses me off so much

>vanu shitters get all the best weapons and toys
Is this supposed to be ironical?
Let me guess, you're fucking TR main aren't you?

>implants suck
Maybe because you can't think of scenarios on how to use them buddy

The game has zero depth and practically no rewards of any kind for taking or defending zones. Since the game is free to play it's balanced around farming cancer which basically means after a fight ends you redeploy to another zerg fest and keep farming certs to unlock more shit.

When you have no long term rewards or prestige for taking/defending areas the game becomes just a shittier, free battlefield with occasionally more people (though it was common to see 400 people 3-way battles back when I actually played actively).

They made it too casual and stupid.

No lol

Attached: 1550188139338.jpg (2560x1440, 2.91M)

Imagine paying 30 dollars for an asset flip

Can't imagine that

Attached: Screenshot_20190404-164730.png (1440x2960, 1.66M)

Vanu master race
Most fun tanks

Attached: 1526079847997.jpg (950x1524, 559K)

How do War Thunder, Post Scriptum or RS2:Vietnam compare in their current states?