Metal Gear Solid

> 2006: Universally considered the 3rd best franchise ever
> 2019: Storyline & characters are all ruined, and everyone forgot MGS4-5 existed
What the fuck went wrong?

Attached: MGS.jpg (1537x1200, 1.22M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bFZo5yGOemE
youtu.be/NZ_ZbMOreZI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

MGS4 is trapped on the PS3. That's why people forgot it.

Only s0nyp0nies gush about Marshmallow Gear Flacid

Nah MGS was universally loved by everyone back in the day, it was up there legacy wise with FF, Zelda, Metroid & Mario. But something happened & now it's disgraced forever

>Nah MGS was universally loved by everyone back in the day
Lel, no it wasn't
Again, the largest audience it reached outside of the aformentioned were idort nint0ddl3rs
>it was up there legacy wise with FF, Zelda, Metroid & Mario
lele, proving me right
>But something happened & now it's disgraced forever
The anime bullshit and subpar game design got turned up too much a notch and everyone noticed they were really big fans of crap, and so snapped out of their fanboy trance

T. Thief fag

4 fucked it all up, 5 could have redeemed it but it didn't

its cool to hate MGS now

MGS5 engine had so much potential. Too bad the game wasn't finished.

MGS2 was the peak of the series and everything past it was running it further into the ground until Kojima finally escaped.

Disagree about its current state but its definitely a bit sad for sure
4's biggest issue is being locked to the PS4, i'm surprised Bluepoint of a good port company hasn't at least put it on PS4
5 is a sad package because gameplay wise its by far one of the best games in the series, everything about it is amazing but it was just a bit too much story and tried to follow too much of the mission style of peace walker, but the reason peace walker worked when it came out was because it was on handheld, that style doesn't translate well to big console games
Also i cant imagine how rough things were between Kojima and Konami near the end so the fact that the game is at least great to play says a lot to me
I'm a bit worried about death stranding but i think itll be neat if anything. I always remember reading articles as well about how Kojima wanted to end MGS after like 2 or 3 but konami kept him going, and i get it, MGS was fucking huge and we got great side games and spin offs but maybe its good if it lays dormant for awhile, i just hope we get proper ports and rereleases in the meantime

Splinter Cell, actually
Even Second Sight was better

As others said, MGS4's story was horrible & it was stuck on the PS3. The hype was overwhelming, to the point where it recieved unamious 10/10s from every outlet based on their love for past games alone. Once the goggles wore off, they realized just how horrible it was. It effectively killed the series since every character that was important in past games, was added into MGS4

I think the localization, dialogue and story peaked at mgs and slowly declined between 2, 3 and finally hitty the low at mgs4. Kojima dug his fucking grave. MGS4 could of worked if he actually had a story that functioned well across each of the games but instead each except mgs is an enermous shit show in terms of narrative. So who is surprised when he can't tie it all up because most of it is inconclusive, contradictive bullshit

You sound retarded as fuck, MG started on MSX and went to Nintendo for a bit anyways as well as had neat ports and remakes
MGS was pretty universally loved until its quiet demise as of recent

>splinter cell
Yeah everybody who wasn't a stealth game autist loved MGS. Stealth game autists are currently being ignored about how much Sekiro sucks. Stealthfags are basically the least important but most self-important demographic in games.

Halo 2

locked to PS3*

MGSV is one of my favorite games of all time

If you ever cared much about the MGS story you are a non book reader. It was laughable jap fanfic stuff.

Peacewalker and 5 happened.

I still remember MGS 4. Good, underrated game.

MGS was so popular that it is single handily responsible for the cinematic movie trend. Every Story driven game except Zelda took direct influence from MGS. MGS2 has a review score of 97, MGS3 is considered the series peak. And Snake became the most beloved gaming character behind Link, Samus, Mario & Pikachu

>books are somehow the best means story telling becuase...???
Can't wait to see what kind of retarded answer you come up with

T. Westie, MGS1-3 had amazing storylines. MGS3 was literally a self contained & simple spy storyline, probably the best of all time in that regard

>Yeah everybody who wasn't a stealth game autist loved MGS.
So you mean storyfags who hardly give a shit about what kind of game they're playing?
Yeah, end of discussion, lol

holy shit lol you've literally never read a book aside from school assignments have you

>THE BOSS'S DREAM!!!!!!!
>OPEN BORDERS FOR ALL
>EVERYONE WILL DIE FOR THIS IDEA BECAUSE ________
>IM UR BROTHER U GOT ALL THE DOMINANT GENES AND I GOT THE RECESSIVE GENES EVEN THOUGH NOTHING WORKS THAT WAY

yeah, awesome story

>and went to Nintendo
Are you deaf?

Stealthfags have never been relevant, you are the 1 % of the game community. The 99 % of gamers love MGS1-3, whereas nobody ever discusses Splinter Cell or Thief

Imagine being such a brainlet that you can't understand MGS1-3's storyline. No wonder you think garbage like Splinter Cell is good

MGS1 was the big debut. MGS2 was the artistic thesis. MGS3 was the crowd pleasing full package. MGS4 was fanwank. MGSV was anti-fanwank.

It's a complete sequence.

Because literary techniques are way more effective and powerful than audio, visual and gameplay ones and books can be any suitable length. Argue all you want about storytelling in videogames but don't try to argue that books won't always be the best form of media for telling a story.

School assignements are literally what booknerds think is the pinnacle of litterature. Fuck off, good writing can also be found in games.

Oh yeah, the book version of Jurassic Park was way more effective at creating tension. I still remember that time I turned a page and a fucking T Rex appeared, shat in my pants.

>MGS was so popular
>cinematic movie trend. Every Story driven game
>MGS3 is considered the series peak
>And Snake became the most beloved gaming character
Again, this is all in sn0yb0y land

Attached: 1466492782605.jpg (311x311, 24K)

>books are NOT the best for telling stories
>>yes they are
>b-but films are better at scaring you!
Sober up and then reply.

>don't be a book reader
>argue that gamez are just as good for storytelling as books

You are, honestly, embarrassing yourself right now. I am not going to argue this with you because I consider it cruel to encourage you to mock yourself in this way.

He's right, kill yourself Contrarian.

So was V, user. So was V...

Everybody had a PS1 and PS2.

Imagine seething so hard that your literal who games aren't relevant that you have to willingly spout factual lies about a globally iconic gaming trilogy

I still play MGSV (with mods) to this day because it's a fun tactical shooter, and some of you niggers try to mock me for it

Attached: 20190331001606_1.jpg (1920x1080, 207K)

>most popular = greatest
>only Sony and Nintendo consoles exist
yfw

Attached: 1473651894302.png (535x691, 559K)

>samefagging
Tell me, did you get any ideas about the conflict between Christian ideology and scientific endeavour and fear of automation from the film or was it enough to impress your tiny baboon brain when you pissed your pants because you saw the big scary chicken shake a glass of water on the big screen?

Face it nerd, Jurrasic Park is a story better told in raw format, writing about things that are only thrilling because you were there is the truest definition of hell

Good thing the gameplay is what matters most in a game.

> Only Nintendo & PS platforms exist
Yes, every gamer owns a Playstation or Nintendo platform, anything else is irrelevant & everyone knows it. PC Gaming is only circlejerked because you can play iconic Nintendo & Playstation games on them. You are literally being a contrarian & seething because pieces of shit like Thief, Chaos Theory & others are forgotten irrelevant games whereas MGS was recognized as a masterpiece before 4-5 ruined it

Sega fans were literally insane people clinging to a schoolyard rivalry. They singlehandedly propped up the Xbox with their sheer autistic spite.

Im not mocking myself by saying that good writing can be found in games. You just have a terribly narrow and closed mind.

not in mgs out side of the first one which was a simple and easy to execute story. MGS2 is done better in books, and MGS3 is done better across films, and spy novels.
There is no interaction. MGS are not 'story' games they emulate films in style without real interactivity. They don't get better because they are games.

>durr books are better because they're better because they are and if you think otherwise you're pathetic
even if you're right, you aren't actually arguing the point, so shut up because we've all heard it before a thousand times

I'm not saying a book is always better, I'm saying it's by the far best way of conveying ideas. It's objective fact that a piece of film or game or music will have drastically simplified themes and concepts because they're not as dense, often more focused on making money (thus undermining artistic integrity) and have to deliver their messages with much more obfuscated techniques compared to just language. The Jurassic Park film is a nice thriller but it's almost entirely devoid of any meaningful criticism of anything aside from one ebin quote. Stop getting autistically riled up because you have ADHD and can't be bothered reading for 30 minutes.

>It's objective fact that a piece of film or game or music will have drastically simplified themes and concepts because they're not as dense and have to deliver their messages with much more obfuscated techniques compared to just language
90% of MGS is just people talking

>MGS3 is considered the series peak
That's a funny way to spell MGS2.

If you think there's any conflict at all between christian ideology and scientific endeavor, you're the exact kind of retard who thinks "it's better because muh words"
>I believe in someone who made everything everywhere for all time but evolution completely escaped his grasp

MGSV was good and so was 4. Every game in the series is universally praised, and 2 is one of the best games ever made.

MGS would’ve been a lot better off if every game had a self-contained story instead.

>MGS2 is done better in books
Give me some examples.

>MGS2 is done better in books
The entire last act draws a hard parallel between the protagonist and the player by revealing the fact that the story was written specifically to be played, you double nigger. None if it works if you are not also the asshole who was pretending to be Solid Snake the exact same way Raiden was.

I really do think fans of other series are just incredibly butthurt over MGS being good, they can't have this and think everything is a competition so it must be a bad series since it's popular and loved.

Right because all muh super critical subtext can't be gleaned visually or audibly. You're just a fuckin brainlet who can't handle combined inputs. I'd wager your preference for books is due to the fact that ink won't shock you

Yeah, and Kojimbo needs to spend a gorillion dollars to have voice actors sit around and do what he could do with a typewriter (and not have to worry about boring the guy reading it who just wants to play the half-baked stealth game, or the guy who just wants to read it and not play the half-baked stealth game) instead of eventually getting his budget cut off and fired so he has to pump his artpiece with filler content to make up for the story he could've told for way cheaper.
How can you even argue about storytelling across different forms of media when you can't fucking read?

This negro knows what the fuck is going on.

The fans unironically, MGS was supposed to end with 3. Kojima planned MGS3 while he was writing 2, which is why it was a prequel. 4 only existed due to so much autistic crying from fans about the intentionally ambiguous ending that left things open to player on purpose in MGS2. Kojima had no idea how to make MGS4 in a way that would satisfy them, so he just brought everyone back using Nanomachines & made it one big fanservice wank. Which in turn ruined the entire series beyond repair, unless you retcon MGS4 from the timeline completely

So basically the same with how people are asshurt about Resident Evil & Zelda?

I'm done
>arguing
with you.
I hope one day you realize how pathetically retarded your decision was to die on the hill of "the Jurassic Park film is a shining example of critical subtext in films".

>you can't tell a good story with anything other than language
>the game is mostly language
>he wasted money!
bookfag grasping

but it was pretty much the case, you could play each game separately without any problem.
That's actually what killed the serie, trying to fit V in the timeline when it shouldn't have existed

>voice acting is writing

This. Death threats to his family didn't help the case. You want your MGS game? Ok I hope you rike it.

>it's not writing if somebody is reading it

Your mistake was in moving the goalposts and expecting any one to have given a shit.
The original premise was "books are the only way to tell a compelling story"

>if you ever cared you didn't read books
>books are the only way to tell a story that makes you care?
Yes, because words

And the exact spot you got BTFO
And here's where you ADMIT you got BTFO
I'm not saying a book is always better, [two paragraphs of useless bullshit that's not relevant to the initial discussion]

Thanks for playing m8, I wonder how you cope with getting utterly thrashed by that jurassic park dude

Attached: 1551923362798.png (650x806, 1.03M)

Basically, this medium promotes too much childish fanboyism.

I'm not the original guy, not everyone is a samefagger like you. Kys.

4 was basically a movie that tried to explain everything, 5 was unfinished, and Survive was a weird thing.

Revengeance seems well received, though.

MGS4 could have just been a remake of the MSX games, and MGS5 should have been Peace Walker.

Too bad Kojima had to waste a fuckton of money putting in stupid music that nobody would've cared about if it had been left out.

I don't blame konami. I would've pulled the plug on Kojima too.
>"so you're telling me the story is going to be the exact same as every other mgs? Fuck you"

Unlike mature mediums for real adults like the Harry Potter medium.

>s0nyp0nies
>nint0ddl3rs
>lele

Attached: anchorman.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

what an ironic and un-self-aware statement

Oh great, even better. Your argument now is "No, I wasn't wrong, I was too stupid to know what I was arguing for"

>a fuckton of money
>for a bunch of C-tier 80s hits and a cover of a bowie song

Read >>books are somehow the best means story telling becuase...???
>books are the only way to tell a story that makes you care?
These two are not the same thing. I am not arguing what the original guy was arguing. You made a retarded statement about stories a whole because you got triggered that some fag doesn't like MGS, I promptly called you a retard because writing is the most efficient form of conveying ideas (objectively) and then you got assriddled and went on a rant about Jurassic Park. I'm done with this reply chain, I have better things to do. Like jerking off.

That's a real cigar he is smoking?

Considering the first post literally starts with "MGSV is one of my favorite games of all time" and here we are at "because someone didn't like MGS', I'm gonna go ahead and double down on my now significantly better substantiated assumption that you might just be a retard. Good for you that the words don't move too quickly now, they might just get away from you.

Kojima ruined the series and it started with 3. Now I know a lot of you are babyfaggots whose first console was a PS2 and whose first Metal Gear was 3, so absolutely none of your opinions on this matter count.

The only games to even consider are MGS1, MGS2, and Ghost Babel.

Starting with 3 all Kojima cared about was making movies. 3 is essentially a really bad James Bond game without any of the things that make James Bond good, all while under the disguise of a "back to the roots" jungle setting like the MSX/NES game just to trick idiots into thinking it would be a serious entry.

Neat, that's one small part of it. The themes of identity, post modern self referential texts, internet memes have all been established by scifi. Here is a fun fact if Kojima was that confident he could of simply started with raiden. You didn't need a sequel game to play through the tanker segment. It would of been fine back story during the hexagaon platform.

which idea borrowed from earlier scifi likely tracing back to asimov's era would you like me to dig up? I am curious.

But you start with Raiden. The tanker segment is you playing as Raiden going through a VR mission that is reenactment of the real incident.

woah

Attached: 1536465409501.png (220x292, 59K)

Anyone who claimed that mgs3 was the peak of this series can go fuck themselfs. Imagine going from a political thriller along a god fearing Christian soldier like solid snake to a autistic Santa loving mommy issue James Bond like big boss. What a insult to the fan base , It the shittes selling msg game for a reason not even substance could save it. No wonder contrarian latch on to it. Msg 1 and 2 were the true peak of the series

Yea Forums needs to go and stay go, this is reaching sophomore year level "the curtains were blue so the author was depressed" levels of reach

Should I report this person for being under age?

That's not how it works. Which book does what MGS2 does better? Give me a list please. I have read Asimov and love his work btw.

Explain retard

>tfw currently replaying MGS1 at night in bed for the first time in several years

just beat gray fox last night. the Vita controls aren't perfect for this game, but they're doing fine. only problem I had so far was changing direction against gray fox's annoying phase where he does all those kicks with massive hurt boxes, but still did him in 1 go.

looking forward to playing the next 2 on vita as well, and then I'll make my mind up whether I can be bothered with the shitty later games.

DUDE
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKSSSSSS
MGS BTFO
BOOKS ARE BETTER I LOVE BOOKS

I wish I could forget 5 existed. All that potential wasted on an early access scam. The open world meme killed it.

Attached: 1475718869083.jpg (499x562, 160K)

MGS4 was too cinematic and weird at times. It was a PS3 exclusive too. By the time it came out the console was still quite pricey. Some story elements were borderline ridiculous but hey, so was MGS2 overall. It felt like a metal gear fanfic.

MGS5 was too focused on the sandboxy elements and the whole aspect of freedom when it comes to gameplay that previous games introduced. That's not what made the MGS series good. The story wasn't that good and it was unfinished. It ended being a fucking engine, that's it. The funny thing is that they expanded on that on survive, and clearly people didn't like it.

Also a certain writer died.

It's a good game with fantastic gameplay, just listen to the tapes before missions, and have a good time. I don't get why some people just cannot enjoy it.

I actually want to replay it even though it left me feeling really bitter.

I played it for hundreds of hours and felt so annoyed that the story was total shit, the characters were all forgettable and the game was way bigger but shallower than the MGS games I loved. but for some reason I still rate the gameplay really highly, in kind of a relaxing way, it was just so smooth.

The missions are terrible. When you're replaying them without picking up posters and materials, they're all 3 minutes long. In the old games, every room is a puzzle. That's the only thing that made stealth work. In 5, every enemy is fucking stupid because there are no walls or rooms. They also don't call for backup, you can't reset things by walking in and out, so you can't just go around killing things. It's bad for messing around with. It's so unfinished, a step down from Peace Walker in every way.

literally any asimov book. Because mgs2 is all over the place as a video game. On what level is it consistently good?
It's plot is messy, it's characters are dull, it's twist is predictable and monochrome. Solidus is now where as charismatic as Liquid.

What part of the game's narrative outside of the gameplay can actually be considered better executed than virtually any other above average narrative?
Just because MGS2 brought in some more sophisticated ideas to the table is certainly inventive but by no means is impressive.
Fuck Ryden
Fuck everyone else in that story, the entire narrative is sacrifice to make the point about control and it takes a nose dive as a result, just so it can larp as some sort of pseudo matrix in the last half.

I can tell you are a very intelligent and literate person the way you criticize things by saying "this aspect is bad, that aspect sucks, this other thing is terrible".

It's bad because it's bad, and it's bad, and also it's bad.

the boss ruined the story of MGS. Conspiracy and social comentary were pushed aside to focus on MUH BOSS I CRIE EVERYTIME ;_;. It doesn't help that her backstory got more and more mastubatory as the games went on. MGS3 was already a HUGE decline in terms of story from 2 (and in a lot of ways, gameplay as well) but it only got worse from there.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 56K)

Literally just take the exact same phrase and apply it to books instead you fucking retard. Cracking a book doesn't make you more intelligent, but thinking it does says a lot about you.

I don't know, as far as I can tell MGS4 has yet to be topped and probably never will.
youtube.com/watch?v=bFZo5yGOemE

I have yet to see anyone praise it's characters, plot outside of the inversion, or the concept explored at the end and through out as original not just as an extension of postmodern self referential text.

It's not bad because it's bad. It's bad because it's mediocre or worse. The game's narrative is a one trick pony that shines to people and I refuse to commend something that should be seen as an obnoxious clusteruck with one nice high point.

Because the existence of the PS3 robbed us of the last [s]3[/s] chapters of the game. We didn't just get a game with a limb missing, the phantom pain is the amputated fuckin limb and konami cut the MGS out because the 360 couldn't run any of it.

mgs2 was the first mgs game i played and its the obly one i havent re-played but its still my favorite game and one of my favorite games of all times, but it’s so mentally exhausting, its lile the game fucks with you every chance. Wanna be snake? lol fuck off. Oh you just met a friend, guess he will die mysteriously. Oh, the president you say? He just died in front of your eyes. You must be exhausted after so many twists and philosophical stuff, here are 21 metal gears for your leisure. Also fake news and globalization lmao.

what a fucking masterpiece

>muh postmodernism meme
You dumb fuck, Kojima was calling you, specifically, a retard who was thinking too much about everything. Your solution? "Well what did he mean by this", while the game is unironically telling you to hit the power and do something productive

Literally any Asimov book? Literally? What does Nemesis have to do with MGS2? What does The Last Question or The Last Answer?

I am not interested in your opinion about MGS2. You said there are books that do MGS2 better than MGS2 and I am asking you to list them.

>mgs2 was the first mgs game i played
stopped reading there

I can tell he never actually played MGS2. Come on, son, Ryden? Fucking really? At least you weren't seriously pretending to know anything, you people are usually a lot more insufferable about how wrong you are.

4 is not bad.
The real downfall started with Peace Walker.
What a trash game.

i learned mgs by memory from watching my brothers play it over and over. I still played it afterwards though, both for ps1 and twin snakes

can nintendofags leave the thread

Your rhetorical style is mediocre or worse. I'm not interested in expending effort here to defend MGS2, but all you're doing is saying "these aspects are (negative adjective)", which is a fake argument.

>the gameplay is boring, the story is nonsense, the characters are unlikable, the noun is adjective
>I'm generating a volume of text, which means that I must be making an actual point.

based

metal gear solid was literally the most anticipated video game after the first one came out.

Nobody mentioned books dumbfuck

You didn't play MGS4.

Based

Fuck off back to Super Bunnyhop's comment sections

This, but it's pointless to argue with adh illiterates

>Revengeance seems well received, though.

that's because MGR wasn't tied down by the rest of the bullshit in the series and it finally made Raiden a good character in the eyes of the fanbase

Yeah next time I'll cite every dumb fuck response, lack of character(s) or character development, inconsistent characterization, and poorly structured, written and executed dialogue coupled to every dumb fuck bumbling idea that Kojima tries to stitch together. Which would be great to do but suffice to say I'll end on this.
There is no reason for the first snake section of the game. The main experience is about recreating the events in some manor of shadow moses.
There was no necessity to structure an immensely long hook to be a red herring for elements that won't matter. In fact it can be argued that the Navy's Metal Gear program is another red herring just to expose the later foe. Same may be said for solidus. In fact that entire section is setting up something that will not come into play.
If we take classical narrative technqiues of efficency and relevance to mean anything MGS2 Intro fails in that regard. It's too long for a prologue, or hook, and it's also a red herring and betrayal of audience expectations in an unsatisfactory inconclusive way that fails to raise any further questions and instead only exposes the narrator as unreliable which I'd argue is obnoxious because that is absent from the rest of the game which instead focuses on using the unreliability directly in the narrative.
But Broad strokes matter more to me. I prefer to shit on a game over debating point by point the minutia as well as I can remember it.
Because nobody here is willing to debate minutia only broad strokes, and a discussion here is not relevant to any further debate. In fact talk about bland level design - aesthetic. Fuck me, remembering playing this pos is annoying, the art and colour blends together and everyroom is nearly structured the same way.
Fuck MGS 2 fuck Kojima for shooting MGS series in the knee starting at that point. You can't start a narrative in MGS 1 and then expect to end it in MGS4 without any set up of a coherent grand narrative.

>I still remember that time I turned a page and a fucking T Rex appeared, shat in my pants.
In my case books are more tense and scary than any movie can ever be. Turning a page and reading about rex would be more scary than seeing him on the silver screen, yes. Maybe you are just lacking imagination.

wow no thanks i dont read

he away was but you were too young to get it.
but been memed is easier for idiots

>look at me mom I am generating a volume of text

>he away was

so him being an unbearable a whiny bitch on the level of Shinji Ikari in MGS2 was good?

Yes underage faggot, Shinji is objectively the most well written & realistic male character of all time. That’s why he’s hated. Soiboys cannot toletate male characters that aren’t generic personality less mary sues. Which explains why The only iconic western character worldwide is a Female

Only because the end of the game asks you to look back and think "man, I've been a whiny bitch this whole time, haven't I?"

If you hate Raiden, it's because you don't realize yet that you are raiden.

Literally played 4 today on PSnow, was really excited when that and the HD collection got slapped on there as a consolation for Konami never doing anything ever again with that series.

I also have not shit internet, use a wired connection, and live in a city. So god speed ruralfags

4 did that user.

I love MGSV

Attached: 1553493649.jpg (600x600, 176K)

>If you hate Raiden, it's because you don't realize yet that you are raiden.

I have not been a child solider so therefore I can't be Raiden.

he was a little too emo in 4 but at least he has reasons to be emo in 4 (he was led to believe that Rose married someone else and his kid died) and it laid the groundwork for MGR.

You're still doing it.
>this is [adjective]
What you need to do is
>this does x, y, and z, meaning it is [adjective]
Or alternatively if you have better eloquence,
>it's [adjective] and that's because x, y and z"
All you're doing is just showing that you've read a thesaurus, or at least have absorbed decent vocabulary, which, whoopdifucking do, congrats, you're doing better than a nigger, so you've got that going for you.

Perusing your arguments I see this guy I'll take a crack at
>There was no necessity to structure an immensely long hook to be a red herring for elements that won't matter. In fact it can be argued that the Navy's Metal Gear program is another red herring just to expose the later foe. Same may be said for solidus. In fact that entire section is setting up something that will not come into play.
Yes it had to be exactly that long. You probably didn't play the first game so you don't get it, but the fact that Kojima managed to so perfectly tell the same story 4 (four) times in the second chapter of 2 was amazing. It's telling the story of 1, it's telling the story of itself on its face, it's telling the story of you the player experiencing this all, and it's telling the story of how Raiden was literally just playing MGS1 the whole time. The whole "nonlethal playthrough" thing, which you probably missed being a gameplay challenge, highlights these moments especially. All those people you killed? You did that for a fucking videogame, Jack. Unless maybe you didn't, and that scene takes on a whole new meaning. You had to be fooled into thinking you had made it to the end when the floor drops out from underneath you and you're thrust into the chaos

yikes

based

A greenhorn on his first VR mission as your hard left turn new playable character instead of snake.

He was almost designed to be a little whiny bitch, which is what makes his transformation at the end of 2 and his literal transformation in 4 so significant.

Unhinged Kojima ruined it. His ideas are just stupid. He had a co-writer for the first three games keeping him in check.

V has no replayability

A little too emo is ok when he’s doing this shit too instead of just whining.

youtu.be/NZ_ZbMOreZI

>which is what makes his transformation at the end of 2

he changed at the end of 2?

First NON VR mission is what I meant my

That whole realization and conversation at the end of 2 with snake where he basically goes “fuck everything I’ve known and fuck the military imma go fuck my wife and live my life”

Nigga...

Attached: 9F4DFFB2-3D25-4C70-98E2-BFF19E0D71C1.jpg (600x678, 250K)

Must of missed that part because all I remember from Snake's speech is "don't worry about it, we (him and Otacon) will deal with the Patriots and Ocelot" and then the credits rolled and I was pissed that the game ended suddenly like that

>imma go fuck my wife
well...

He kinda reassures him that his choice to be his own man is the right one.

Fuck I hope I’m remembering this right it’s been a while...

Hahahaha very true but he believes in rose at least at the end of 2

Farming yous has never been so easy//

That conversation with snake at the end where they’re just standing in the middle of the city and people are walking around them is legit 20 or 30 minutes of just hardcore philosophy and when you’re in your early teens playing that shit that ending flys over heads.

Wait a second you goddamn cocksucker, all of your (((criticisms))) pertain to it failing to conform the a standard literary format. Fuck you, you're not allowed to say "the book did it better because the book was more like a book".
I'm gonna fucking hunt you down and spawn creepers in your mansion

fuck you i liked 4

that didn't feel like 20-30 minutes.

On the other hand the AI going on about bullshit I didn't care for because it was the AI saying it, felt like an hour.

Yeah but you have been a whiny bitch about things you should probably just forget about, and you've definitely been a negative fuck to the point where it's poisoned your experiences. Smile more user, it helps

MGS1 was the only good Metal Gear Solid game.
The atmosphere, the intrigue, the tension, the voice acting, the characters, the plot.
Yeah the game play wasn't the best but that didn't matter, all that mattered was getting to the next codec conversation or cut scene to see what twist would happen next.

MGS2 tried to replicate it, it was even the plot of the game but it never caught the atmosphere of being the "lone last fucking chance, you have 12 hours or the world would end" and the codecs were flat as fuck.

Every game since just drifted further away from MGS1.
MGS3 decided to become more of a comedy in parts and all tension was gone because it was a prequel so the world would never end no matter what happened. Gameplay was better but the tension had gone and I never cared what would happen next.
MGS4 was made to literally try to kill off the series and was awful on purpose.
PW was the complete opposite to MGS1 and shat on it's legacy every chance it got.

I never even bothered with V.

Nah he right though. The fuck are you gonna do, dunk on the 3 people in that dusty shithole for the 14th time?
Childhood is seeing the vast size of V and seeing an ocean, but adulthood is coming from GZ and seeing the depth of a puddle

Yes it had to be exactly that long. You probably didn't play the first game so you don't get it, but the fact that Kojima managed to so perfectly tell the same story 4 (four) times in the second chapter of 2 was amazing. It's telling the story of 1, it's telling the story of itself on its face, it's telling the story of you the player experiencing this all, and it's telling the story of how Raiden was literally just playing MGS1 the whole time.
>citation needed

Just because you say something as if it's true doesn't make it so. And it doesn't it make it well executed.
At most what you have described is a pretentious narrative that somehow manages to both be pedantic and patronize the player in the same sweep

>Yes it had to be exactly that long. You probably didn't play the first game so you don't get it, but the fact that Kojima managed to so perfectly tell the same story 4 (four) times in the second chapter of 2 was amazing. It's telling the story of 1, it's telling the story of itself on its face, it's telling the story of you the player experiencing this all, and it's telling the story of how Raiden was literally just playing MGS1 the whole time.

^ how the above makes a good story is beyond me. Your criteria is what how clever the author is? It's nice parralels, but that's it. You still haven't expressed any more value than it's one trick, the meta aspect.

I'd honestly say without sleight of hand by your standards, mgs3 poses as a more interesting narrative. You know what this is a good comparison to make. Lollita pulls a similar game between the reader and the author, and the text. It tells several stories at once. But beneath all that there is still a compelling narrative at work that doesn't rely on endless parallels and meta commentary to make a point. (though lollita does it at length even with that stripped it's still effective at delivering that message without bs.

>Yeah but you have been a whiny bitch about things you should probably just forget about,
true

>and you've definitely been a negative fuck to the point where it's poisoned your experiences.
true, i'm so negative about games I didn't like such as MGS2 or FFXV that I only played them once because they were THAT BAD and any idea of trying to play them again, I remember all the bad shit and decide not to.

>Smile more user, it helps
if only I had a reason to

The controls do feel a bit weird on Vita, especially using the rear touch pad to tip toe and other stuff due to a lack of R2 and L2 buttons. Also, if you plan on doing MGS 2's VR missions, have fun dealing with the Sniper rifle being very sensitive in that game and the tiny Vita nubs.
Just be aware that for MGS3, pausing freezes the game for like a second on Vita before it shows you the menu. It takes time to get used to it. Other than that, both are very playable on Vita. Had many fun times on the bus playing 'em.

>>citation needed
The AI literally tells you to your face that's what you've been doing. It even shows you clips from the tanker chapter where it's revealed it was actually Raiden simulating the version of events that went on record, with Snake dying in the wreckage. People ask how he got out of there, turns out it wasn't japanesium, in that virtual reality, he fucking doesn't. The point being that this whole time, you thought you were on your first mission but you actually weren't. The big shell is just the world's most expensive VR, where a vicious AI orchestrated a convoluted series of events to put you in a fake terrorist event being orchestrated by terrorists who don't even know they're fake, hence Fortune freaking out on Ocelot at the end. All of this is very clearly explained, I don't know why so many people have trouble with it. He literally turns off her cheatcodes in front of the player and then shoots her in the chest without an issue. Her "psychic powers" that protected her the same way Mantis got away with it were just another artificial construct.

You're still stuck in the confines of the classic literary structure, if you free yourself to consume media more thoroughly, you would understand the importance of you, the player, being in the same mental headspace as you, the protagonist, for most of the game. Even the fucking VR mission with the Snake body model. You're shooting the bucket of ice and thinking "why did they animate this", you feel like a competent motherfucker with all your gear on you, noticeably lithe without your armored vest and matching ability to roll. Every thing from the top to the bottom draws you into the way Kojima practically forces the player to feel like their avatar. Then suddenly you're this skinny twink with a scowl on his face wondering what the fuck he's even doing there, and that describes the player who was hoping to keep playing as Snake. The ending only works when you're that immersed

miraculous, I was not that immersed. Nor that interested in the parallels.And if the first section was vr I entirely missed that component of the game when it came to it. I'd like to see the specific citation for that segment.

>Her "psychic powers" that protected her the same way Mantis got away with it were just another artificial construct.

Wtf does that even mean. Is there the implication that the more fantasy aspects of MGS where all just one big meme that was all orchestrated by the evil illuminatty, jesus christ.

Yeah I am glad Kojima buried his franchise. Nabokov nailed his concept. The game was fun. Going back through was great. It was an enchanting game.

Instead in this case the game didn't want to train you into snake it wanted you to feel bad about it. Am I getting it correctly.

The ending of MGS 2 is functionally retarded. 'Classicly' speaking. Or really the reason why you can't make a sequel to MGS 2 why MGS 2 only contributes garbage to the grand narrative, and why it doesn't permit a straight forward sequel is exactly the same reason why people laud it.

It adds nothing to Snake's story other then warping the narrative back on itself. It doesn't develop characcters in a relevant way, the relevant development happens off screen like it was retconned.

And the final message, yeah it fits the doomdsday weapon thing. But man I am just glad for the wrench that this game was. Lollita is a much better novel, that does what this game says it does in far more intersting fashion.
Pros to Lollita
Intresting narrative
Charismatic characters
Charismatic narrator
Well written and executed
Layers that add more intrigue to the text
Various striated Symbolism
A game that is about as much the reader as the text, and a win condition to the mystery.

Fuck MGS2 fuck Kojima for ruining something good. I was only invested in the first one.

Definition of lost potential

>I was not that immersed so I missed the point of the game entirely
No fucking wonder you litfags spin your wheels looking for hidden meaning. You can recognize what might actually be a divine masterpiece for what it is, but you have no idea what makes it amazing.
>. Is there the implication that the more fantasy aspects of MGS where all just one big meme that was all orchestrated by the evil illuminatty, jesus christ.
No, it's not an implication. Revolver ocelot pulls the fucking remote out of his pocket and turns her godmode off. This happens right in front of you. You clearly never played MGS2, I'm done here. Shit, I'm using this every time I argue with one of you cunts from now on, this was great

This is why games like MGS2 or SOMA cannot be experienced through any other medium, only vidya can translate the intent.

It also baffles my mind so many people have problems grasping MGS2. I often see "the game is shit because [insert misunderstood point]." And then when they are told what it is it boils down to "yeah the game is still shit because I didn't get it myself." It's like a frog that's being dissected.

The only other game that's even tried was Spec Ops, and after having played the infinitely superior mindfuck, it just pales in comparison. [s]but just wait until you realize that Kojima was going to tell the entire planet we're just playing our own video game by releasing a game about crashing a giant aircraft into Manhattan in August of 2001 but got delayed[/s]

4 is well loved and a great experience.

Sarcasm?