Ok so I'm bad at fighting games even though I've always liked them...

Ok so I'm bad at fighting games even though I've always liked them. But I can't get better because the online """ranked""" systems in all of them is complete trash. Tekken 7 0W first game vs someone with 1400 wins on that one character. 0RP on SC6 vs someone with 14000RP first game. I just get demolished and it makes me want to turn the game off or go back to practice mode where I'm not getting juggled into air grabs. What am I supposed to do about this? I can deal with losing just fine but I'm not learning -anything- when I can barely even play.

Dragon Ball Fighterz (dumb name btw) was the same. It seems like every fighting game puts you up vs people wayyyyyy higher than you every time and I just don't get the meme. Am I just supposed to smash my face against this forever until I magically get better without being able to actually fight back? I just want to get better and the matchmaking itself is gatekeeping me from even beginning. How can they not balance 1v1 matches ever?

Any advice other than the generic "just git gud without playing" comments?

Attached: FY1tqKo.jpg (738x416, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcharts.com/app/544750
gamstat.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Save your replays, then analyse how you got yourself into that situation or how the opponent was able to start their offense (what tools they used, how you left yourself open etc.)
>Find what options (both offensive and defensive) your character has to combat that or, better yet, how to win the neutral game
>Practise, then execute in a real match when you see it coming
Rinse and repeat. If you can't really see where you're going wrong either look up a guide or try using the opponent's character yourself

The only experience I have is offline stuff or playing with a couple friends maybe once every few months. So I put together a few combos and can practice blocking and whatnot but the instant I go online it's like someone is holding my head underwater. I block a few things, maybe even get a couple hits in, but then they figure out I don't know what I'm doing and wreck me. This cervantes player I actually took the first round off of fairly quickly, which I assume is because I came at him like a fucking whirlwind of retardation and he wasn't expecting it, but round 2 he had me downloaded and fucked me up bad, air juggling and hitting me with wall-ricochet corkscrews.

I dunno how to save replays but I'll look into it, I'm usually too busy gasping for air to understand what is even happening to me. I have more experience in the SC series than tekken by far (tekken is a shitshow for me I get rocked easily by everyone) so I think I'm just gonna keep pushing on that game. Just wish I could fight some fellow retards for awhile but it seems like they don't exist.

Attached: 34425665.gif (498x298, 1.76M)

I don't really play SC or Tekken (I play more Super Turbo and Samurai Shodown, so 2D stuff) but know that there's no point knowing how to do combos if you can't get in and do them in the first place. You're better off knowing how to start your offense, your defensive tools and what your character has that others fear.
Don't be salty about being matched up against players with far greater skill than you at the moment. If anything, watch them closely.
Anyway, if you want to fight retards, just challenge anyone from /fgg/.

Mate, that's how these games work. Its very rare that your first games against other people are an even playing field. Its usually against someone whose been playing for a bit more then you, or alot then proceeds to kick your shit in until you realize what you think you know about the game is totally fucking wrong. You cant balance skill disparity's, but you can have an open mind and continue to learn and challenge your existing views on the game and reinvent them as you go further. Recognize what makes you lose, work on something small at first, like blocking this string or outspacing someones move and punish it, then work your way up.

Attached: 1435282722008.jpg (376x383, 43K)

Yeah like I said I don't mind losing, and I understand that they can't only match me up with other players that have the exact same wins or points that I do, but 1400w to 0w? 14000 ranked points to 0? It feels like that will never get better. In tekken I haven't been within 500 wins of someone I've been matched up against. In SC the point disparity is seemingly even worse.

I'll keep trying, I'm not giving up or anything, but I just don't understand the point of a ranked system where they don't actually use the point system to match you up with someone. It just seems random, and if I ever get into it more it will just be incredibly unfair most if not all of the time. It's been like this at least since SC4 when I had the exact same issue. I don't see it ever becoming actually "competitive" and that's an enormous problem for someone to earnestly start trying to play. I also kind of feel like this is why fighting games aren't as popular as they could be, the games themselves hold you down and fuck you until you just don't want to play anymore.

"Hey I'd like to learn boxing, here's my $60 gym fee"
"Ok cool lace up you're fighting Evander Holyfield in Vegas in 20 minutes, just watch his movements or whatever as he pummels you to literal death I'm sure you'll pick some stuff up."

Attached: Rn9NJc3.jpg (701x775, 62K)

Tekken is literally just about learning spacing and mind games user.
Juggling and high level stuff like wave dashing comes later

It's the easiest game to pick up imo

These games dont have a huge player base. It tends to pair you with whoevers playingh in that range a the time.
Legit the best way to avoid this kind of shit is to pick up a fighting game when it comes up. You will learn and level up with the playerbase as almost everyone is starting fresh. The older the game the harder it is to push up in ranked.

Out*
Fuck I'm tired.

Yeah I like tekken, and watch a lot of tournaments and stuff but I just can't make anything happen. I've taken some games as steve(always liked him in earlier games) but if I stick around for a rematch I will lose 9/10 times. I think I pay too much attention to what I'm doing and not enough to what they're doing, so I never adapt like they do. I can take the first game in a rush sometimes but then I have to winquit and pray to god I don't get them immediately in my next game. Which I almost always do because apparently there are only 3 people playing tekken at any given time.

I know reaching for 45 hit wallsplat combos is not a good idea when starting out but I miss inputs often and drop a combo at 2 hits which is frustrating when seemingly everyone who gets one hit on me turns it into 50%+ of my health bar with no recourse. So I get hit 2-3 times a match and lose, vs me having to open them up over and over to do 3 hits and then whiff a punch and drop it. After game 1 I don't even get to hit them those 2-3 times, they just have my brains schematics up on their second monitor and delete me. I've always liked SC more though just because it seems more forgiving. You can get caught in some huge damage combos but they don't very long. In tekken if I get launched once I just get up and go get some coffee "Hey let me know when I'm back at the main menu".

Attached: 1552716723485.gif (500x281, 839K)

Isn't that more because there's hardly anyone left in the lower ranks though? T7 for example came out years ago

the ranking system is fucked by design and it can't be any better, sorry. just power through the tough games and the too easy games until you arrive at your rank and skill level, then the real fun begins
>but why is it fucked
the genre is niche and there's not many newbies when the game is not in it's release week. same shit is happening with RTS's and arena FPS's

I tried opening up my connections to 2+ bars and turning off region lock but then I just get laggy grandmasters. I thought the same about new games (I know the tekken series is old as fuck) so I picked up DBZ immediately in a desperate bid to play someone who wasn't a world champion but even then I was getting smoked. Not sure if it's like the other dbz games so there's a trend or set of moves that are the same but ho-ly shit it's hard to imagine they picked up literally everything about it so quickly.

I dunno I think I'm just venting at this point, I'm gonna try to just brute force my way through some SC games today and try to not let the massive amounts of losses get to me. I've even tried to make my characters look as goofy as possible so I don't take it as seriously mentally but it hasn't worked yet. I don't get angry anymore but every match is still disheartening as fuck.

Attached: oJQTlwF.jpg (738x416, 37K)

People still play SC?

I have it but stopped playing because I thought it died unusually fast.

I personally recommend looking up matches from skilled players who play your main on youtube or twitch or something. Watch how they play, what comboes they use, their counters, etc.

steamcharts.com/app/544750

Not too many unfortunately. Very disappointing because I liked SC4 a lot even though I couldn't dip my toes in online ever (SC5 was dogshit). Tekken is still going strong, even though if I play online there are only 2-3 people I get matched up with over and over and over for an entire session.

Op maybe you are just lacking something as a player in fighting games? I know going into training mode is something you already do, but just sit and do that sometimes. Learn the timing for your moves. Fight the cpu but don't just beat them down, actually try to open them up and let them throw moves out to whiff punish them.

>people don't play fighting games on PC
color me fucking shocked user

>people still havn't learned PC is irrelevant to fighters
only exception is T7 because of koreans

Attached: DUH20R4.png (300x287, 8K)

>i was only pretending to be retarded guys!

It's basically all I do. I guess I could focus more on specifics, I tend to just turn AI on and endlessly fight them but I never feel like it's a good indicator of how players are going to fight me since AI will fall for the same thing over and over. I'll keep practicing, but AI alone is not going to get me caught up to the calibur (heh) of players the game is setting me up with.

Attached: 1550940681628.png (640x632, 312K)

Except you have no idea how many people are playing on console because they don't publish those numbers.

gamstat.com/
playstation numbers leaked, these arn't 100% right but in the ballpark. Xbox is irrelevant so whatever, add some for that too