Steam takes 30%

All of this could've been avoided if Steam wasn't so damn greedy.

Attached: Screen_Shot_2019_01_24_at_1.13.18_PM.jpg (675x224, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/bundle/1729/FNaF_Franchise_Bundle/
bleedingcool.com/2018/03/16/nintendo-switch-sales-save-blossom-tales-devs-from-shutting-down/
vocaroo.com/i/s01GFk2Ojlpi
youtube.com/watch?v=OtY39H5T61Y
steamdb.info/app/337000/graphs/
youtube.com/watch?v=OZBz4wXpF_o
youtube.com/watch?v=7V4UPiBOshY&t=89s
steamspy.com/app/322500
steamspy.com/app/553310
twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1091025939109199879?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1091025939109199879&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/twitter.min.html#1091025939109199879
youtube.com/watch?v=2CQ1sxPppV4
trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap
epicgames.com/site/en-US/privacypolicy
store.steampowered.com/eula/648800_eula_0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>STEAM EARNS DA 30%!!1
How?
>STEAM WORKSHOP!!!1
What if my game doesn't use it?
>UUUUUUUUH FUK U EPIC CHINK CHONK SHILL

So what rate is acceptable?

Epic Games can't afford their own revenue split so the consumer has to make up the difference
workshop, forums, dedicated servers, user reviews, events (soon), etc.

Or a shopping cart
Or chat
Or a shop that isnt scrolling infinitely
Or communities
Or reviews
The list can go on if you'd like

The epic rate. That simple. Match them and then you got borderlands 3 back.

What if my game doesn't use those features? There are some games on Steam like FNAF that are just Single Player with no Steam integration

>choose to upload game to established platform instead of publishing it on your website in order to increase sales/have great market support in general
>DUHHHHH WHY THEY TAKING MY MONEY?????

Attached: 1532896682111.jpg (1440x1472, 468K)

How many of those "no"s are by entitled indie devs mad they can't quit their day job as a Home Depot cashier to cobble together 2 hour "story-driven" shovelware in unity?

Then don't put it on steam. Simple.

steam cloud for save files
you'd be surprised by how many players actually rely on this

Exactly. Thank you for agreeing.

Steam takes initially 30%, but this goes down based on the games performance to levels even lower than Epic in some cases

>what if my game doesn't use it?
then you're a shit dev
same as having no controller support or cloud saves

>People keep talking like I give a shit what happens to Devs or how much money they make.
Maybe stop spending so much time getting tea and noms and you'd make more money.

Attached: 1542995850122.jpg (676x581, 54K)

>game doesn't use a fucking shopping cart or need to be reviewed

Attached: just_kill_yourself.png (786x382, 292K)

store.steampowered.com/bundle/1729/FNaF_Franchise_Bundle/

>No Steam features
>One of the most popular Steam games

Get angry Yea Forums

Why does my game need those specific features? Hint: It doesn't. It makes Steam more appealing, it doesn't make my game more appealing.

>Steam is 'greedy' for taking 30%
>When it has more pro-developer and pro-consumer features than any of the storefronts on consoles and most PC storefronts

Is it all just butthurt indie devs who are mad they actually have to compete against other games instead of being selected for success by Valve like it used to be with curation?

Why not just make it the same % that retailers take?

Epic may not even be around in a few years and it doesn't offer many of the capabilities/usability Steam does.

I'm glad to see Steam get more competitors, but people saying it doesn't provide value who have no idea how expensive the alternatives are and have been historically (developers and publishers would be hiring a lot of people to manage the logistics) just shows that the dumbest people typically have the loudest voice.

>Epic may not even be around in a few years

They make UE4 and Fortnite you fucking retard

Ah, you're one of those "for the developers and not the consumer" types. I'll just hide your posts and move on.

>Pro developer

>Review bombs

No.

>scans your hard drive
Heh, nothin personnel gwai lo

Attached: 1553269516594.webm (1259x992, 1.85M)

a drop in the bucket of games lost. come back when the epic store has anything good and consumers should jump ship.

>why does my game need to have reviews?
Are you trolling or just retarded?

Nobody cares. This is about developers and profits. Take you borderlands crybaby ass to another thread.

But don't they pay 30% for consoles?

so what? this doesn't prove your point either.
You're saying "If I don't use their features when why should I use them?" and then proceeded to show someone who is selling an entire series of games without steam features.
Besides, Epic has a terrible reputation with the people and Steam has more users overall.
Putting a game on Steam basically guarantees tons and tons of people will see it

>Getting this owned and triggered

lmaaao - need your daddies ben shapiro or j peterson to argue on your behalf huh?

AHEM

War on Terror Patriot Act PRISM Edward Snowden Guantanamo Bay CIA black sites Human Rights NSA mass surveillance Warrantless Wiretapping 4th Amendment violations Julian Assange whistle-blower manhunt Ecuadorian embassy refuge Corporate interests worker's rights healthcare rights free education Police militarization incarceration rate fake weapons of mass destruction Petrodollar warfare Israel "special" relationship ban on boycott Free Palestine USS Liberty attack Mossad cover up false anti-semitism accusations depleted uranium mutinions war crime ignoring the Geneva Convention Agent Orange My Lai Massacre Contras 1973 Chile coup CIA backing puppet dictators Illegal Occupation 1954 Guatemalan coup d'état United Fruit Company Cuban Missile Crisis Bay of Pigs Operation Northwoods Saudi lobby American Cover-Up of Trials of Unit 731 Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse MKUltra Tuskegee syphilis experiment Suspension of Habeas Corpus Sedition Acts civil rights Martin Luther King murder Cointelpro Bombing of Libya Bombing of Yemen Bombing of Syria Intervention in Yugoslavia Philippine Genocide of 1900 Choctaw Trail of Tears Andrew Jackson illegal Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii haole invasion Okinawa rapes Jarhead rapists migrant caravan ICE children in cages

Attached: 3c7.jpg (249x249, 17K)

>People should not be allowed to call you out on your bullshit
Fuck you
Their opinion should be heard no matter how petty it is

I meant the store specifically not the company going bankrupt - obviously they're pushing it now but it may be an abandoned/life support thing in a few years

Reviews are a pro-consumer feature. Something like the workshop is a pro-developer and pro-consumer feature (a good selling point for devs). The new multiplayer API Valve had developed that can be used for both Steam and non-Steam games is a purely pro-developer feature

How much do Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo take when putting games on their consoles?

15 for PS4 and 12 for xbox
dunno about Nintendo. Point is steam is greedy as fuck.

Why do I care about developers? I couldn't give a rats hairy nutsack if Steam or Epic gives them more money, I want a storefront thats got decent features for the consumer and doesn't actively access shit on my computer that isn't associated with it.

Fuck off, kike Ebin shill.

>Reviews are a pro-consumer feature.

Attached: 7gfa reviews.jpg (1964x958, 152K)

>Implying that customers having the ability to express dissatisfaction is a negative for them
What?

This is the most pointless poll i've ever seen.
>Do you think steam should pay YOU for the privilege of selling your game?
It's pretty fucking obvious what the answer is going to be, the greedy little shits will obviously say 30% is too much, even though it's globablly accepted as the industry standard.

>cherrypicking

>Nobody cares.
CONSUMERS care.

They are. Abuse of a system doesn't change the truth. Being able to click a button and see the opinions of potentially thousands of people on a game helps a consumer make an informed decision.

Steam was losing big games before Epic store was even a thing due to their greedy rev split.

It's pointless to cite the cut when epic just throws their fortnite money at whoever's desperate for cash, if valve matched the cut epic would just throw out more money

>an informed decision.
PROBLEMATIC!

why the fuck should i care what pay an indie dev takes home?

Huh, guess they don't have an excuse. But why is Epic buying exclusives now instead of fixing their store first? They're throwing all this money around, surely they could wait to develop a decent launcher first?

So what's the source on this OP?

Steam reviews fucking suck even outside of being abused. If a game has some ties to anything unrelated to the game or servers offline for an hour for maitenance they get swarmed with negative reviews. I've seen lots of games with shit reviews that were perfect games (MHW/Conan Exiles/Nioh) and they actually prevented my friends from buying the game because they just went off the passionate Steam reviews.

Google it.

>due to their greedy rev split.

So why hasn't everyone abandoned the consoles due to their greedy revenue split?

Literally only a chink could look at the prospect of people making informed decisions on a product and shit himself in terror.

>The only acceptable rate is one that the company has admitted is unsustainable
Fucking kek

Because they actually sell on consoles unlike Steam

bleedingcool.com/2018/03/16/nintendo-switch-sales-save-blossom-tales-devs-from-shutting-down/

>#NintendoSwitch community is a blessing! #BlossomTales is now a turnaround story: Humble indie dev @castlepixel can stay in business and continue making games. Love y’all! 3 months #Switch revenues surpass #Steam lifetime revenues 20 times!

When are these threads going to be fucking banned already?

We here at Epic support the developers!
*charges upwards of $50 per game outside of the US*
Fuck the consumers though lmao

the truth of this whole epic/steam cut ordeal is i don't give a shit how much money these devs make when they churn out the most boring, cinematic garbage that follows the same template or waters down an existing one

i'll care how much you make and care about you staying afloat when you make good games

Attached: 2019-03-24_19-34-49.png (982x807, 377K)

What console greedy revenue split? They give way more to devs than steam ever will. That's why epic is kicking their asses in exclusive games now. People are jumping ship because steam screwed over devs for so long. It's about time.

>Because they actually sell on consoles unlike Steam

If you're lucky enough to be picked to sell on those consoles (which is harder when you don't have a publisher backing you up)

Pushing shit like this should be considered a form of corporate sabotage and be made illegal.

Chinaman massacre 2086, etc.

>What console greedy revenue split? They give way more to devs than steam ever will.
They take 30% just like Steam. What services do they offer for devs? They don't host servers for third-party games, the devs/publisher has to do that themselves. Hell in the case of Sony they'll be complete jackasses and block the ability for you to do crossplay for your game

>scans your hard drive
So does Steam.

>Or a shop that isnt scrolling infinitely
Isn't it actually scrolling indefinitely now?

It's over. Steam finally is going to lose. That's all that matters. As a console fag this shit makes me smile.

I dont make games so it doesnt matter, but if it is good a 30% cut wouldnt matter unless im a huge kike, like most publishers

>Some random story about dev I never heard of on site I never fucking seen says "steam sux"

If you're gonna shill against Steam at least don't rely on anecdotal data.

Pfft. Steam changing won't do anything at this point. Borderlands was unreal and Epic wants to buy up games. They're going to try their hardest to tear down the only quality launcher out there (Barring GOG, but knowing Epic, if they stop steam, they won't stop there)

Explain to me why I should care about how much of a share steam takes. Literally all Steam needs to be perfect again is curation to stem the tide of shit thats flooding my New and Trending

because consoles are more exclusive environment and console users are deprived for even decent games
PC has a LOT of competition, thus a lot of games are buried underneath a deluge of even more games
but there's a simple trick to be successful on the PC platform: MAKE A GENUINELY GOOD GAME
shovelware trash never sells more than a couple of hundred copies, actual good games get recognition easily
also, you can't just drop your game on steam and hope for the best, there has to be at least some form of marketing

>(Barring GOG, but knowing Epic, if they stop steam, they won't stop there)

They certainly won't stop there. Phoenix Point got delayed from GOG as well because of that exclusivity shit

Wtf I'm buying Devotion now

Okay cool show me Steam accessing folders that aren't associated with it.

Funny how the 30% debacle was never considered a major crisis until Ping decided to show up with their own store. What a coincidence indeed.

>Yea Forums wants games to stay on steam and not epic
>Yea Forums also thinks gaben deservs 30% of all pc video game profits, so devs have a reason to leave steam for epic.
make up your minds.

Attached: 1543352771507.png (973x1080, 1.01M)

But first they have to match the steam rate. That simple. Match them and then people will give a shit. But alas, I can already predict the response.
>i-it doesn't count!

Doesn't the steam cut decrease the more successful your game is?

Wow it's almost like a major competitor causes competition. Imagine that.

both sides have nothing to do with the game as intended for a review. ban them all

It was never about the split user. 30% is completely fair, don't fall for Tim Sweeney's lies that a 12% take (a 60% reduction in revenue) is viable long-term for a fully featured storefront

Not just steam. ANY OTHER STORE THAN EPIC:

>So why hasn't everyone abandoned the consoles due to their greedy revenue split?
The consoles give a huge audience those games couldn't cater to without the consoles. They can put the game on their own storefront and profit more than the 30% steam shares audience gives.

Steam isn't fucking going anywhere. Every large network in the digital era grows MORE powerful and monopolistic over time - Facebook, Google (YouTube), Amazon. The network effect is clear and without regulation always works one way, a singe gorilla ruling 60-80% of the market with a couple niche "competitors". Fortunately Steam is a very benign monopoly since they have a libertarian outlook and don't get into political bannings.

You'd have to convince me how the game industry is unique from every other industry network to persuade me Steam is going anywhere.

Attached: 1548515379979.jpg (858x821, 359K)

I'm not sure about that but it ensures there's not a huge difference in pricing because of currency exchange. unlike epic

Yeah. If you're a triple A game that makes millions of dollars in sales, the % goes down considerably.
If you're some indie shmuck, your game won't even get on the Epic Store to begin with so you have no right to complain.

>be epic
>give more money to devs
>make your own launcher
>make exclusives
>"Consumers wont decide who wins"
>make a worse launcher than steam
>pay shills to defend your launcher, manage to influence trolls to shill for you to shill it harder
you can't make me do anything nigger

you need to be bethesda tier of success for that

Yeah, Steam only takes 20% after a certain number of copies have sold.

That's not the question. What about that 30% if your game, released on steam, uses none of those features. Do they still take it?

consumers shouldnt care, is this poll among publishers?

That's a neat list of things US citizens are allowed to look up without getting their internet cut. If only there was one for the chinese.

So successful enough for Chang to consider throwing Fortnite bucks at your title for a timed exclusivity deal? So Soiboi McNintendoface and his thirty minute """art""" game is fucked either way?

>you need to be bethesda tier of success for that
AKA you just need to not be an indie game to get "success" like that since literally every single big name title sells those numbers. Even complete shit games that get raving poor reviews still sell millions and are eligible for Steam's % cut.

But why wouldn't you take advantage of the features? You're putting your game on sale to one of the most popular storefronts on the PC platform and your game is guaranteed to sell if it's good enough for people to actually like it, if that isn't enough of a reason then I don't know what is.

There's 6 fucking threads right now

Attached: ac1f33f837ad57670d172609fad8faf1.gif (400x292, 364K)

I thought 30% was pretty much the usual retailer cut.
Anywho, the biggest proponents of the epic store's lower cut are indie devs but Epic outright rejects most indie games.
Nevermind that they're making up the difference in the cuts by charging foreign customers more and selling user details to the chinese government.

You're right. The service should be free. While I'm at it, why the fuck do I have to pay anything at all. This is bullshit. Fuck the 30%. Fuck the 80%. If you even want a single cent, you are a filthy jew. It's time for a new store.
FREE GAMES, FREE SERVICE, FREE EVERYTHING. NO FUCKS GIVEN.

Consumers go where the games go. Catering to devs is more important than catering to consumers.

How does a hatconomy improve the game
How do having in line reviews improve the game (don't you forget that we're on a third part website dedicated to video game discussion)
Pretty sure he's saying "if I don't use their features, why are they taking a cut" and the answer is "because it's goddamn steam". Fuck, my bank doesn't even let me buy from GoG because euro purchases are considered suspect. Bam, steam just earned themselves inherent worth by owning the infrastructure to deliver me the same shit but with DRM.

Why would you even want it on steam then?

hold on I'll post a few more

sames been happening with gaben and steaqm for years. do you even remember gog galaxy.

Because he wants the free publicity of being on the single largest storefront, and for Steam to host and distribute his product, but not to take any money from him.

>I thought 30% was pretty much the usual retailer cut.
It is. 30% was the standard forever.
Epic had to reduce their cut just to be able to compete and now people are saying 30% is too much when the Epic Games store doesn't offer even a tenth of the features that Steam does outside of just selling games.

Attached: 1528871240856.png (1143x851, 236K)

The shilling is almost surreal.

>How does a hatconomy improve the game
So you're just deliberately shitposting now? Good to know.

gaben already makes stupid amounts of money off market trades, subscriptions and much more from retards. And its not free to put your game on steam.

then consumers will go on torrents or steam.

The cut thing is a lie anyway. Developers have always been able to produce Steam keys to sell on other storefronts. Those keys are FREE for devs to make and give Steam NO cut at all, only to whatever storefront sold the key.

yeah gog so people can pirate it.

This. The only way they sustain it is a conjunction of Fortnite and 3rd-world excess fees. Several countries around the world have to pay anywhere from 20% to 300% additional cost on all purchases.

That 30% is already on top of the whatever the percent the engine you're using will take. So something around 20% would be much more reasonable

The only benefit of the Epic store over Steam from a consumer standpoint is that Epic just flatout doesn't take indie games so I don't have to see gay shit on the store front all the time.

>It is. 30% was the standard forever.

You know horses were the standard forever before we got cars

>Epic had to reduce their cut just to be able to compete and now people are saying 30% is too much

It is

>Epic Games store doesn't offer even a tenth of the features that Steam does outside of just selling games.

What if you don't want/need those features for your game?

It never goes down to epic levels, especially not for games utilizing Unreal Engine. You see, Unreal Engine is a flat 5% cut, unless your game is on the Epic Games Store. Even if steam cut went down to 20%, there would still be an extra 5% going to Epic, whereas epic only charges a flat 12% cut always.

Steam should take 100%
Fuck devs and fuck publishers

If they match them, epic would still just pay people for exclusivity anyway.

>And its not free to put your game on steam.
Valve pays back the $100 when your game starts selling. The $100 fee is to avoid spamming games onto the service

>is fucked either way
david cage is proof there's hope for them
>you just need to not be an indie game
no wonder so many studios are going to be putting their games on here then, they can sell a shit game and without any potential for review bombs for shit service no one will be none the wiser.
GoG is the only launcher i got minus the blizzard launcher when i still played overwatch with friends. i cant get old games to work with steam but they work just fine with gog.
this right here, the epic game store is anti consumer because of the quote itself of
>Epic Boss Says Developers Will Decide Who Wins The Game Store War, Not Consumers
im expecting toxicity bans for people playing epic store exclusive games at this point
>what if you dont want/need those features for your game
people have always been able to not include them. i have plenty of games without cards, workshop, and other features.

I mean, as a for-profit company, they had no reason not to when it was the industry standard and they had no viable competitors interested in driving the rate down.

However, in a marketplace where they're facing real competition, I don't think a 30% take is viable in the long term. It's inevitable that someone will undercut them... by a significant margin, since 30% is extremely generous.

Valve is in a pickle, if they lower it from 30% to 20%, they'd owe a lot of old developers a lot of money

And they know asking for 30% is wrong because the royalties they ask for lower to 25% and 20% depending on how successful your game is

Attached: epic store steam split.jpg (714x1017, 83K)

Why not host it yourself?

Man, devs would shit themselves if they learned what kind of rates people in other creative industries get.

Jesus Christ, where are all these EGS threads coming from?

based as fuck

>30% is extremely generous
According to...?
Oh right. Anonymous, who has 0 experience in marketing, economics, and sustainability, but took a crash course in Chinese shilling.

It's a hot topic as many popular sequels and titles are having some sort of exclusivity deal with EGS, it's natural. It'll die down eventually.

50/50 mix of paid chink shills and trolls

It's almost as if many people are butthurt about the exclsuivity deal. Most notably the steamonly babies. Console owners don't give a fuck. The games gonna sell. That's all that matters.

Me. And I don't even play videogames.

legit where do you even get a job shilling for egs
i could use the work

Steam bronies are fucking seething and I love it - total melt downs and BL3 isn't even out yet

>Developer%
That's complete bullshit catered entirely into making indie devs shill for them, truth is developers will always get a lower cut because publishers take too fucking much.

>be dev
>Publisher takes 60%
>Steam takes 30%
>dev gets 10%
Seems fair that devs get paid 3 times less than steam for their own game.

Attached: 1553354399386.jpg (1020x660, 249K)

it gets (you)s, thats the only reason

>88
Epic confirmed nazi propaganda.

Valve didn't pull that number out of their ass; it's what Sony, Microsoft, and Apple all charge as well.

Get hired onto the marketing team, unless they run their marketing through another company.

>30% is too high
According to...?
Oh right. Anonymous, who has 0 experience in marketing, economics, and sustainability, but took a crash course in Chinese shilling.

>imaginary numbers

It is.
Devs should quit making video games.

if you believe the jews behind the epic games store care about the 30% take you are delusional they are just mad because gabe is a goy

>The only acceptable rate is one that the company has admitted is unsustainable
Source? They've explicitly said they won't raise the rate, and that the only direction it might move is slightly downwards if they can negotiate better payment processing fees.

If it was unsustainable, why would discord have independently settled on an even lower rate? And why would epic be foregoing their 5% from UE4? That suggests to me that they've got a little wiggle room to go even lower.

They get a salary, not a percentage.

>Parroting
Not even worth (You)ing. Good night.

Where did you get that made-up number of what the dev makes? In a dev with a publisher situation the dev doesn't make jack-shit from games sales, only the publisher. The publisher pays the dev their salaries for making the game and maybe a bonus if the dev is lucky

publishers usually take 50-60%
and of course i'm making up steams 30% share user.

Attached: u6muqif6w1q21.jpg (588x1200, 174K)

While this is true, cutting that by over a half is a good incentive for developers and publishers.

>source: my ass

>publishers usually take 50-60%

Publishers take fucking all of it. They're the publisher who likely even owns the damned IP rights for the game that they contracted the developer to make

Damn look at all those useless features. Fuck off steamdrone.

Steam bronies are fucking seething and I love it - total melt downs and BL3 isn't even out yet

not when both are separate entities.

>Developers literally never gave a shit about Steam's 30% until Epic came and said "Bruh, we only take, like, 12%, unlike steam, who takes like, 99% of your revenue with their 70/30% split, they're robbing you nigga, come to our store, we'll even give you money"
>Suddenly Valve's the worst ever even though every fucking digital store ever of anything takes a 30% because it's an industry standard

While I believe Valve should raise the developer's cut, and stop fucking around and do something already, Jesus Christ Valve what the fuck are you doing? But I think most of these developers, just like I am, are just entitled. They think their games are worth more money than they actually are, and believe they are entitled to that money. Menwhile I'm on the complete opposite side of the spectrum, I don't think their games are worth more money than they actually are, and I believe I'm entitled to keep my money.

This may need updating.
Epic is partnering with Humble to supply them with keys.

Hey, my strawman said nothing about taking nothing, just the full 30%. Let's talk adjusted rates. How much, proportionately, is the ability to sell cosmetic items from the steam inventory worth? I see the review thing come up a lot. How much is steams' review service specifically adding to the justification of 30%. Having the number 1 sell your game demands a tax, that's no joke, but how much? then take it the other way and start asking how much extra you can pay for preferential treatment

Honestly, 30% is a relatively high take. Most of the retail industry deals with profit margins of sub-20% for their goods. Some of them deal with only a few percent per sale. I think the clothing industry, which is notoriously an enormous rip off for the consumer, is the only one that gets significantly above 30%.

Name 1 reason game developers deserve to be paid.

Damn, no bloat or sissy groups and account leveling card whores? This platform will actually be gaming focused? wtf I hate epic now

Attached: 1525389418202.jpg (676x708, 142K)

It's literally paid shills and fanatic fanboys from both sides arguing with each other.

Attached: __kishin_sagume_touhou_drawn_by_twumi__1a6677ab67160a47cc11acdd13436c52.png (1000x1000, 301K)

Well if the game doesn't do any of those things, does anyone really have a right to complain when it moves over to epic to save 12%?

According to the free market, in which competitors are successfully competing at far lower rates than 30%.

Also the fact that 30% was settled on as an industry standard by stores that operated in closed ecosystems (apple store, play store, psn/nintendo/xbox, etc). Of course they would choose a generous rate for themselves. You think they're charities?

Also the fact that steam was able to drop their cut for high-revenue games to 25/20% at the drop of a hat when they caught wind of epic's plan to undercut them.

Also the fact that the marginal costs of digital content distribution is extremely low, especially at scale.

hur

Attached: console price breakdown.jpg (1920x1124, 940K)

that is usually with stuff like ea since they own the devs they are working with.

Source: my imagination

Fucking this. Epic store is none of this stupid ass bloat

No, that was a question, please answer it. Anyone who played TF2 when it was good will tell you that hatfags are directly the cause of the game being ruined

>Jesus Christ Valve what the fuck are you doing?
Valve's management is a fucking wreck. Almost all power is kept in the hands of workers who team up on projects they want to do, rather than projects allotted by a boss. Which is also why they release nogames. Cause shit gets scrapped constantly.
While I believe Epic Games is being a right piece of shit in all regards, this may lead to a restructuring at Valve to make them less shit as a company.
The rolling desks and freight elevators are real btw.

I only skimmed part of the thread, is this an accurate summary?
>Steam isn't worth 30%
>what about all these features?
>my game doesn't use any of them, Steam isn't worth 30%
>then don't put it on Steam
>n-no I'm still going to put my game on Steam but Steam isn't worth 30% they don't do anything for me please rise up as my personal army to force them to lower their cut

I'm curious as to whether Epic could even turn a profit with their split if they had the server costs Valve has with maintaining a chat client and the download servers.

Use American currency you europoor. This is an American site.

You can google it. This is not exactly super secret data.

Tienanmen Square Massacre

Attached: fuck china.jpg (700x420, 39K)

They already said their cut isn't profitable

This but unironically, profiles only made steam worse. We have weekly cringe steam profile threads of insane people decorating their page with badges and autism, atleast people will be forced to keep it contained on epic.

Nobody cares about your stupid ass memes fucking fat American.

Nice bot Chang

>all those "no" from walking sim indie pixel shit """"devs"""

Attached: 1542741818892.png (800x798, 815K)

vocaroo.com/i/s01GFk2Ojlpi

Attached: 1554344684287m.jpg (808x455, 31K)

It's not really that simple. Epic Games forks over a hell of a lot of money up front and in guarantees beyond just a reduced % cut from sales. They're basically just giving these games huge amounts of money away.

>I'm too dumb to read the reviews and find out if it's chink localization bombing or something else

Look at their roadmap

Their cut is very profitable actually, but what isn't profitable is buying all these exclusivity deals they've been doing recently. It's a long term investment for them to operate at a loss for the first year. Look into things before you post please.

I do.
I love seeing an egotistical dictator get butthurt about a fictional bear.

>successfully competing at far lower rates than 30%
>competing
Epic isn't competing. Competition is offering the same or extremely-similar products, by giving CONSUMERS a reason to choose their store over another. Epic is controlling, limiting Consumer options, so that if they want a specific product, they HAVE to shop at their store. All Epic does is give DEVELOPERS and PUBLISHERS a reason to use their platform over all others by offering them impossible deals.
Analogy:
>Walmart somehow manages to become the only store in the entire world that sells televisions or a certain FLAVOR of ice cream, such as orange or vanilla and nobody else anywhere can sell that item
>You can't go to your local store to purchase this item, nor Target, Publix, Winn-Dixie, or any mall, only Walmart

TL;DR: Epic isn't competing, they're just poaching games off Steam to try and get them to go under or retaliate

Oh my bad it wasn't sustainable is that much better retard?

Don't ever fucking trust a businessman making deals where he's claiming he's making no profit.

Attached: D0NZ_npXcAImeEr.jpg (650x747, 81K)

Attached: q5OL30E.jpg (250x174, 5K)

no u

Nothing stops Valve from contacting the devs and making deals with them.

Literally deal with it.

Your game uses Steam warehouses to store that data, their data for sending it and manages updating those services for you. Steam is not just a storefront.

this would be more funny if your voice wasnt yikes incarnate

Attached: 1524999810517.jpg (298x212, 9K)

30% is a standard cut

If you want your game to sell on the EGS instead, reward players for buying it there with timed exclusive content instead of denying it from steam.

>457228645
>Reading comprehension of a mentally-handicapped child

Much better, now give me a hug.

占占点

Attached: 1544916253927.gif (548x401, 192K)

they literally do that vhang

I genuinely think people talking about Steam features as a positive are fucking retarded / autistic peecee mustards who must not even actually play games. These features mean fucking nothing. Get the fuck off of Yea Forums, or any GAME website, if you care about features of a fucking store ui than the games.

But mah FeAtUrEs!!!!! Mah fEaTuReS!!!!!!! Fucking idiots waging some political corporate battle over which virtual zeroes and ones you play your pixels on. This is even more autistic than fighting over which plastic box you like more.

As if Epic won't have all of these MAH FEATUREEEEEEEEEES soon anyway.

OK. That wasn't my point, my point was that they're running a digital storefront at rates way below 30%, as is discord. The ethics of paid exclusives don't really factor into the argument.

What if they're self published indies like Shakedown Hawaii? Or studios owned by a couple people like the Satisfactory devs?

Epic is doing great things for indie devs, maybe not so much AAA published games, but hey, those devs chose to work for them

Attached: shakedown steam 2.jpg (1469x878, 124K)

Bear or regular hug?

Valve "competing" by offering exclusivity deals on Steam isn't healthy competition. Sure it'll probably make the companies buying into this exclusivity shit even more money but the end result is the same as what we're seeing now.

b-but my trading cards, reviewbombs and profiles!(that you have to pay to customize!) How am I suppose to play without stuff like that?

>cloud saving to always keep your progress, workshop to easily mod your game and forums/guides for easy troubleshooting are not game related features

Consider necking yourself. It ain't Valve's or our fault that you are a basic bitch that only engages games at their most casual level.

lmfao seriously, imagine how hard any of the three console waggie groups would be raged on if they tried to promote user reviews as a reason why their console was better

I'd be fine if Steam took 30% and used that revenue to make games or make their store better. They do neither. Fuck 30%

the only feature on steam that really counts is the friends list integration for multiplayer.

>30% just to host the files

jesus christ gaben.

Of course it's fucking heathy, it gives much more money to the devs if the stores have to fight over which store the devs chooses, if it's so by money, % sale cuts or whatever.

This

Who gives a fuck about devs. If they were people worth caring about they wouldn't make video games.

Either one is fine user

This is why the Epic store is good.

>Dev has game

>Up to Gaben or Epic to give them the best deal

>Game devs win, as there is competition

this is why no monopoly is good. as well as potentially better prices/deals.

Funny enough you can integrate the steam friends stuff with the Epic store.

>w-we need a better cut!

Name one (1) actually good game that failed to sell millions. You simply can't. Anything you could come up with is actually shit or at best an awful "retro" game the kind people got fed up with years ago.

Attached: 1553933503647.png (768x572, 707K)

It is a matter of whether you want to have your game sell at all, because on Epic store it won't sell because there's no paying customers there, only fortnite children and people claiming free games epic tries to coax new users with.
Not that your shitty indie game would ever make it to Epic store anyways. Even aformentioned FNAF wouldn't be allowed at all to the EGS platform because it looks exactly like a crappy flash game, and to think how big of a fucking cult following it has, it's precisely because steam isn't strict with selling whatever on their store, that games like this will flourish.

Here we can see that the cut is 30%
but lets update it to our relevancy
steam is the retailer so add another 20%
but also steam is marketing so ther goes another 15%

So I guess steam actually owns 65% of the profits
Take out of that what your own conclusion.

Attached: game-pie.jpg (950x605, 91K)

>Epic themselves admitted that they will need to increase their cut and that they also will stop paying for exclusives in the future

The "fair deal" is just a temporary discount.

Did you really just try and say forums as a positive feature? I can't even tell if you're trolling

Or better yet, keep it at 30% and keep Steam filtering out garbage like Borderlands 3.
It's a shame the exclusivity of that SJW Reddit franchise isn't permanent.

Attached: 1536112019556.jpg (770x578, 19K)

>Epic is making more money than Valve
>n-no their users are clearly poorfags that don't buy ANYTHING
Are you actually retarded?

Attached: Epic.png (930x480, 498K)

People in this thread acting like 30% isnt a big deal
You're fucking retarded.

Stop pretending to be retarded. Guaranteed you can't even give one reason why forums would be bad outside dumb, plainly wrong shit like "t-they are always f-full of trolls."

No one said that, and that guy is rich because of Fornite.

Who the fuck cares about a shit franchise like Borderlands?

Also who the fuck is shilling for a literal chink botnet?

deus ex MD

How can you call others retarded whilst suckling on corporation's cocks?

But steam only takes the 30%.

And to add, you know that the 88% dev/pub revenue split doesn't really mean shit to them because so far every single exclusivity had to be bought by Epic Games. Not a single one of them offered to be exclusive to their store on their own.

The only game I've head that offered to be available on Epic without the exclusive bullshit was Phoenix Point, who approached them asking if their game could also be sold there, then Epic offered them money in exchange for exclusivity and now you know the rest.]

A lot of people like to say the one of the reasons why they're going Epic rather than Steam is because of the revenune split, but that's bullshit and we all know it, it's alll becauseof the short term financial gains, whtye want money fast, and what's faster than getting millions dollars, possibly enough money to get half way through break-even point, months before the game is even up for pre-order?

Titanfall 2

Dissatisfaction with a game that they used to love a week earlier?

No, it's just I don't give a single fuck.
Why the fuck would I care?
Oh no, these blue haired SJW devs aren't getting even mroe money, how horrible.

Attached: 1534367781518.jpg (407x428, 20K)

Only reason they're able to afford paying the difference is because how much of a cut steam takes. If they were only taking 12% Epic would have to pay out the fucking ass to make exclusivity worth it.

what is the source on this poll?

God Hand.

No one says they have to back pay anyone, I wouldn't even think anyone is expecting them to do that

Steam could charge whatever it wants for its service but if the cost is unreasonable then competitors can enter the market much more easier. 20% is still pretty high for a store front, but being able to utilize the Steamworks API is honestly kinda nice so it's not unreasonable for Steam I guess

Just because 8 year olds take their moms credit card to buy Fortshit skins it doesn't necessarly mean that those kids will buy Super Meat Boy or Obsidians Wubba Wubba Dub Dub

Prove it.

You're on a forum right now. You do not need a "feature" one. Imagine actually being this stupid that forums and reviews, shit that exists already completely outside of steam and has since the inception of fucking internet, are why you use steam. Yikes.

Attached: aqa3osms5u921.jpg (741x1556, 154K)

I use the "store" to play games. If I wanted to use forums I would go to the official website and use that, which all decent games got.

How come no hack journalist has written about how 88 is a neo nazi term and that epic are obviously using their platform to dog whistle?

youtube.com/watch?v=OtY39H5T61Y

Fuck off, faggot steamdb.info/app/337000/graphs/

>1 million to 2 million owners
>AND, mind you, this on a game that got shat on for having massive technical issues and being basically incomplete

>I'm a funny retard huuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nice Steam games, faggot.

Of course the Epic shill is a "yikes" posting millennial subhuman.

Healthy competition benefits the consumer. Title exclusivity limits availability is antithetical to consumers. And you as a consumer won't see a dime of this money put towards actually improving the game that wasn't already going to happen anyways.

Not to mention DRM platforms being inherently anti-consumer by nature.

I'm a game dev and honestly nah fuck Epic especially right now. They're sitting on their high horse while buying exclusives which do hurt more people than help on the consumer level, which is the most important. If they were any larger than they currently were, they would pretty much be a Monopoly.

Also fuck Tim Sweeney

Most games just use the steam forums though. Otherwise it's just reddit.

>it gives much more money to the devs
How is a fatass, blue haired millennial SJW getting even more money something good?

Attached: average videogame developer.jpg (640x480, 81K)

>not thinking a forum and review section merits an 18% cut
>EPIC SHILL!!!
Yikes

Superhot has between 500k and 1m owners on Steam
Risk Of Rain 2 right now only has about 20k sales, but due to Steam setting everybodys game libraries to private by default it might be more it might be less
Same with Lethal League Blaze, between 50k to 100k

You need to have an instant success right out of the gate and you need to get that million sales at launch or else Valve is going to syphon all of your money and you've got less of a budget to work on post-launch fixes and content updates.

You wouldn't let a guy that looks like this near your children, now would you?
Don't let your kids near the chink cocksleeve, people

Attached: 1553975640659.jpg (1500x1500, 160K)

This image isn't funny. It's not ironically funny. It's not ironically ironically funny. It's not unironically ironically unironically ironically funny. It's just not fucking funny. Fuck you and your zoomer humor.

Exclsuivity is competition.

Look at consoles. They're alright.

youtube.com/watch?v=OZBz4wXpF_o

yeah MD was such a huge success thats why the series is dead right?
Steam-sales where a mistake. it makes faggos like you think they did any good in the market when it was relevant.

Reminder.

Attached: 1538565949349.png (500x521, 167K)

Oh shit, wrong picture of lil' ol' Tim

Attached: 5c9466bd8e436a0b9e515795-750-563.jpg (750x563, 41K)

ITS OKAY WHEN VALVE DOES IT

MUH TIANANMEN SQUARE LOL SO FUNNY

Legitimately looks like a homeless that would stab you for another sandwich

Attached: valve-gabe-newell-fires-dota-tournament-staff.jpg.optimal.jpg (1080x600, 56K)

Oh yeah, I bet we will benefit a lot when Steam starts bribing others to keep exclusivities.
I benefit so much from people paying even more money to developers.

>Y-you are on a forum right now!
>I'm going to pretend that's the equivalent of having a forum dedicated exclusively to one game, even when my shitty mongolian puppeteering forum constantly deletes threads too because it ran out of fucking space.

Take your meds, grandpa.

But who are they competing with? They're in their own bubble and if people want in on it, they have to buy a console

youtube.com/watch?v=7V4UPiBOshY&t=89s
Nobody is actually moving over because of the revenue split. They're moving over because of guaranteed minimum sales (Epic will pay the dev/publisher a fat sack of cash on the assumption that the game would have sold x amount of copies) and if the game never sells more than that the dev doesn't make any more, but they keep whatever Epic paid them initially. The revenue split is PR fluff bullshit

So...

>A game that did make millions
>A game that's barely out
>A shitty niche game (that still sold millions)

>Steam takes 30%

damn, that is a lot. like 2 times the amount on Patreon

>Risk Of Rain 2 right now only has about 20k sales

Risk of Rain 2 has a minimum of 35k sales and that assumes that every single person who bought the game bought it during the buy-1-get-1 free sale and gifted their copy to someone else and everyone who ever owned it was playing during the all-time high playercount it had

So it likely sold a hell of a lot better than that

Steam = Old homeless person
Epic = Down syndrom

Buy all your games on Origin. Just look at this face

Attached: Z7CcguM.jpg.png (440x393, 144K)

That isn't competition. Particularly with Nintendo and Sony who thrive off the lack thereof. Stop me if you've heard this before but Nintendo is the only gaming console that's friendly for the whole family.

He cute

Attached: 416x416.jpg (416x415, 22K)

It is okay when valve do it.
What are you gonna do about it nerd?

That guy is more based than Gabe is though.

Why even care about which store it is on then and not just pirate the game?

The biggest problem with people shitting on Epic store while still using Steam is that they are just hypocrites. First it started with how they said they didn't want it on Epic store because it spys on you and collects your data, which Steam also does. Then it was regional prices and refunds that Epic store also got now.

Attached: Epic 2.png (1004x782, 838K)

Steam is optional.

30% is too much but their big games discount is really proof of that. More volume means more revenue, and those games that get the discount sell shitloads compared to small indie games. Same shit as bulk pricing.

>I-it's VALVE'S fault that the devs and publishers thought they could release a broken demo and call it a full game!

Gaben ain't the fucking nanny of all those retards.

>this is your average epic shill

>buying games from the Satan himself
sign me up!

Attached: Stranger.png (362x479, 264K)

Good thing I pirated the game so I don't support Valve.
Would have bought it instantly if it was not a Steam exclusive title.

Attached: pirate.gif (300x203, 507K)

>offering a worse service and buying all the good games with chink money for exclusivity
>buying studios and funding games optimized for your own hardware which you also produce

Only one of these is competition

PS4 & XO are both 30%

Oh wow, he saved a bunch of trees, I'm going to spread my cheeks for the communist dictatorship now.

*Makes your games exclusive to the Epic store*
Umad?

They do make the steam store better, and offer a shitload of services.

>The biggest problem with people shitting on Epic store while still using Steam is that they are just hypocrites. First it started with how they said they didn't want it on Epic store because it spys on you and collects your data, which Steam also does. Then it was regional prices and refunds that Epic store also got now.

I've always kept the same reasons why I believe it's shit. The Epic Game Store is a net negative for consumers
-Epic doesn't mass generate keys for free for publishers to sell to other stores, so you won't be able to buy from third-parties who are competing on price (only from a 'partner' like Humble Bundle which will just sell the game at the exact same price)
-If you live in an area that doesn't have high amounts of credit card usage, you might usually rely on cash cards to buy your vidya, and unlike something like Steam which eats the cost themselves Epic will just charge you more (given their low take for themselves)
-Instead of using their vast wealth from Fortnite to make brand new titles for their store, Epic's paying to take choice of where to buy away from customers, and this includes both Steam and GOG options being taken away
-Ironically if you live in China you can't actually buy games from Epic
-If you're one of the few Linux people out there you're screwed because you can't as easily take advantage of Proton or anything like that
-The 88/12 split becoming a regular thing likely won't hurt Steam all that much overall, but it will kill all the third-party sellers which provide better prices for games like Green Man Gaming, Voidu, Fanatical and Gamesplanet
-Tim Sweeney himself has said that he doesn't want to do sales even on the level of current-day Steam, along with a clear focus on his store being more publisher-friendly instead of customer-friendly (for example, an opt-in review system)

>Nice Steam games, faggot.
Okay, how about Resi7, you chucklefuck? It's a great game, and it's been two years since release and it has yet to break a million units on Steam. For comparison sake, REmake2 already sold over a million units on Steam.

Remember when Steam was the most hated platform known to man when it made HL2 a Steam exclusive? I remember, and I was shitting on it in forums in 2004-05

How different is that from current day Epic Store really? Eventually, it would get better and people should give it a chance. Let it establish itself and we'll see what happens. Nothing wrong with other competition.

i do believe that 30% is a bit much especially in unreal engine games since epic also takes a small cut from those and Valve should lower it a bit but theres a big factor that many people never point out
>Valve has no shareholders and is completely autonomous
>Valve only has around 300 employees in which many of them do contract work
>Epic has one of the biggest companies in one of the biggest markets owning 40% of them
>Epic has 1000+ employees
The only thing you can blame Valve about is their shitty office working structure

What is moving goalposts for 100. People complained because they would like to have these games across a variety of storefronts that they can choose from based on their preference. Rather than being forced into using yet another platform that they may very well not like for a variety of perfectly legitimate reasons.

Brick and mortar stores charge 60/40 for every sale.

You are comparing a free app that takes 10seconds to install and download to a freaking console costing 500 bucks, are you retarded?

You'll likely be able to buy it on GOG when the game fully releases since GOG doesn't do Early Access

>because the royalties they ask for lower depending on how successful your game is
That's exactly how Epic's cut works too though

you've been watching too much agitate Alejandro and e-celebs

This guy puts devs ahead of consumers, why would I follow someone who sucks off developers?

*pirates behind you *
Pssh nothing personnel squid.

Reminder that once Epic stops paying for exclusives they will pick other options. Like tying the use of UE4 to the Epic Store similar to Valve and the Source Engine back in the days.

And Tencent are going to buy big shares from UNITY once they go public so pretty much every UE4+ and Unity game will get forced to become Epic exclusive.
That stuff is easily enforceable and there are no real alternatives for developers except for them to create their own inhouse engines and that is an expensive effort publishers would rather not take.

Half the posts in these threads are console fanboys using EGS exclusivity as a way to shitpost about PC gaming

>Why even care about which store it is on then and not just pirate the game?
Don't worry, i'm pirating all of Epic games like I did with Metro Exodus.
Terrible game, by the way, the open world shit was just terrible and the story was boring as hell.

Woah, le epic as fuck reddit asterisks of epicness xD

>A game that did make millions
steamspy.com/app/322500
Estimated 500k and 1m, these are estimations not concrete numbers. Unless you have factual numbers, then you have to assume they're somewhere in the middle.
>A game that's barely out
Doesnt change the fact
>A shitty niche game (that still sold millions)
1: Calling Blaze "shitty" just proves how much of a tasteless piece of shit you are
2: Again, steamspy.com/app/553310
Between 50k and 100k, how are you so retarded that you think that equates to "millions"?

>How different is that from current day Epic Store really?

Epic is blatant in their disregard for having a consumer-focused store and instead want a publisher-focused one. I don't want to see what the 'established' version looks like and what that does to the PC space as a whole

*next game is console exclusive*
eat shit steamtard

He's talking about their digital stores, not the console license fee that they charge on top of that.

Here's a hint, dumbshit: Resident Evil 7 doesn't sell for a fucking dollar so it doesn't need to sell a million copies to make millions.

>this hurts the steamdrone

Do you actually think people will use those engines with restrictions like that? You are an idiot.

Not to mention the CEO of Epic is Tim Sweeny, and despite everything said about him here, he isn't cancer. He is basically a less popular John Carmack.

>The biggest problem with people shitting on Epic store while still using Steam is that they are just hypocrites.
But it's not hypocrite to cry about Steam being the monopolistic devil while wholeheartedly praising Epic, even though they are very much demonstrating the very essence of why people hate said monopoly? Cry me a fucking river, Chen.

>Reminder that once Epic stops paying for exclusives

Which I'm sure will happen after they prove its a successful buisness model for growing your customer base, you know the whole point of these platforms.

>another retard that thinks games sell for a dollar.

Console manufacrures MAKE and/or FUND their own games, it's not even comparable to Epic poaching fully funded third party games they had absolutey no hand in. And don't bring the time Microsoft used to to temporary exclusives like Rise of the Tomb Raider, because no one and their mother defended that shit, everyone called Microsoft out on that, so much so that they stopped doing it and started acquiring studios to make first party games for them.

It will be better than the shit we have with steam. With Epic Games, we have happy devs, curated good games and good prices for all.

No, seriously, you can sell your game at your website for a 0% Valve/Epic cut. Magical, isn't it?

Oh no, whatever will we do without more SJW propaganda.

Case in point:

Don't forget Tencent owning 40% of Epic.

>it's not even comparable to Epic
But it is exactly what Epic does, steamdrone

*downloads your console*
Gonna dab on you physical realm losers all day.

Why would I want videogame developers to be happy when they are all SJW subhumans?
I want them to suffer, lose their jobs and see something they worked on for years get trashed and mocked by everyone.

Attached: 1519793158639.gif (480x238, 430K)

They dont own a majority so thats irrelevant

People initially disliked Steam because nobody wanted to sign up somewhere to play games. People just wanted to put the disc into the PC and play.

But over time people grew to like Steam over their old habits because
>Steam servers are more reliable than those hosted by hundreds of third parties
>Steams auto-update feature saves players time and they don't need to visit third party sites with virus installers anymore
>created an alternative to shitty Punkbuster and Gamespy
>Deals were far better than the ones in the stores

Steam really made PC gaming as a whole a lot more convenient for everyone.

>homeless
>while that fat
If only, that would mean he would be eating other homeless people, and lowering the amount of homeless in the world.

Steam justifies a 30% cut more than epic deserves 12%.

>30% is the industry standard
>somehow only Steam is greedy for doing it

Attached: 1524184210764.png (282x250, 14K)

so why people think that if steam drop that percentage epic will magically stop paying to developers for exclusivity?

>every developer is the same
Get yourself checked out user. You dumb as fuck

You didn't answer why you couldn't host it yourself

user....i literally stated it read again
>irrelevant

Attached: 1528653541093.png (600x699, 426K)

No people started to use Steam because they were FORCED because of exclusive games. And zoomers growing up with it think that Steam is basically "PC gaming" even if it ruined PC gaming.

I didn't know Epic is developing Borderlands 3. That's quite the news.

They wont, but it'd be more of a reason for these developers/publishers to say no.

If steamdrones hate exclusive so much. Why dont they get gabe to buy exclusive for them to even playing field?

Companies absolutely will. Bundle the Epic Games Store and the engine together with additional benefits like reduced engine fees will absolutely interest publishers.

Can you explain how this is related?

Shitposting or a marketing plot.
Everyone knows that Epic are currently bleeding money with the store and they can only afford to bleed money because of Fortnites success.

All for the sake of growing a consumer base there.

Attached: ss_(2015-03-07_at_09.14.04).jpg (600x588, 42K)

>2 V-bucks have been added to your EGS account

No one buys this retardation about Steam and exclusives, user. Maybe ultra sjws with an axe to grind but that's about it.

Yeah, irrelevant. Tencent cannot make any decisions for the company, only agree with or disagree with decisions. Thats how a board of directors work.

We've had this conversation a million times and you fucks still dont get it.

This
Sites like Pandora and Spotify do the same exact thing, and royally screw over small artists on royalties. The way the small artists make money is to diversify and make themselves available on every platform, and not limiting themselves to any one.

I thought this Epic thing was a fad, but apparently they have deep enough pockets, and studios (and publishers?) are dumb enough to take the bait. I doubt in the long run, anything will truly be exclusive, but we might be in the era of timed-exclusives, where people are desperate enough to pay full-price for timed-exclusives months down the line. I also think Epic is not going anywhere soon because lolChina.

Attached: 1276715378464.jpg (312x266, 7K)

>Steam ruined PC gaming

Oh yes the PC was much better in the mid 2000s when every publisher had abandoned the PC for consoles because they thought it was a dead platform with no potential anymore

Yes they are, they are all scum and seeing a modern developer fail and get his team shut down is way more entertaining than any videogame they could produce.

Attached: 1537225679941.jpg (800x450, 157K)

twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1091025939109199879?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1091025939109199879&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/2/twitter.min.html#1091025939109199879

boom

What is there to buy? Steam had back in the days and still got tons and tons of games that are exclusive to Steam, which requires you to use and install the games through Steam.

Valve doesn't get off their fuckin ass anymore, and it's because they don't have to. No games, no notable new features, no good sales in years, and charging devs top dollar on the back end for this stagnant service. They lack competition, and if the EGS continues to grow that will change and they will have to start working again.

Why do you think that's not exactly what's going to happen? Your autistic hateboner for "steamdrones" or pc games or whatever is just going to lead to a future of exclusives and nobody giving a shit about their actual service

PC gaming was pirate land before Steam happend.

>Game has Securom?
PIRATED
>Game has Starforce DRM?
PIRATED
>Game is very expensive and never gets a deal
PIRATED

There is a reason why most AAA and jap games never got a PC release back in the days. It was just not worth it. But Steam changed that and you cannot deny that by simply claiming that HALF LIFE is the thing that made everyone and their mother jump onto Steam

Except it doesn't. If any game is only on Steam it's because the dev doesn't want to put it anywhere else, not because they are forced.

I tagged the wrong post mb

40% gives them director seats which is what matters

>If steamdrones hate exclusive so much, why don't they encourage more exclusives?
Are epic drones all mentally retarded?

That's what you wish would happen so that Epic doesn't look like the sole bad guy anymore, because only Epic is forcing this exclusivity cancer on PC.

Attached: 1523102760077.jpg (1080x787, 75K)

>implying epic is somehow generous because they only take 12% of the money from sales of a game on their shitty digital storefront that doesn't even have a search function to find games with or a shopping cart to buy more than 1 thing at a time, or double-check what you're buying
Letting Bill keep 4 of his 5 dollars isn't generosity when all you've done for him is give him a cardboard box labelled "lemunaid" for his stand.

Not really. Saying that is basically historical revisionism.
Steam was notoriously unreliable back then, and riddled with bugs and slow speed. And the Digital CD Keys, no physical and forced to install it thing were an issue too.

Tencent absolutely can. The board of directors responsibilities include all major business and legal decisions. Are you retarded?

Was it securom which would only allow you to install a game 3 times?

It doesn't change the fact that the consumers were and are still FORCED to use Steam if they want to play those games.

I can bet you that NO ONE would've used Steam back in the days when everyone hated it if not for this bullshit.

They’re chinese, so yeah.

You're talking about Half life and Team fortress right? Or are you one of those retards who thinks third party games are "exclusive" to steam because they use the client even though you can buy those games on hundreads of different keysites without using Steam's store.

Allowing devs to generate and sell steam keys elsewhere is pretty good but the "100% cut" from doing so is kind of misleading. Yes they could make 100% if they were selling the keys themselves to customers but does anyone do that? It's more like the % is whatever cut is left after the GMG or whomever sale.

>Be me
>Work at triple A studio
>Thinking about Epic
>Realize Epic and Tim Swiney were too lazy to actually compete with Steam with features
>So they just brute force and buy exclusive deals essentially funding the devs and publishers

It's really interesting how you get a bunch of lazy programmers and artists at Epic who sit on their ass instead of making an actual competent launcher that compares well to Steam but instead you get a maggot infested Chinese spyware launcher that does fuck all.

Just remember this, game developers are not your friends, nearly all of my co-workers don't give a fuck about the player or consumer. As a team we have to act like we pretend to care or some of us actually care, but American work practices basically means everyone is a privileged entitled dick head with a chip on their shoulder who just want to go home at the end of the day. They'll easily sell their hard work off to any publisher who waves a fat wallet around their nose, then when things don't go as planned they all just pretend they were innocent and act like Daddy Publisher was in the wrong and forced their hand.

Attached: jpg.jpg (600x360, 39K)

>Valve literally released their network tech to the public just two weeks ago, giving devs easy access to DOS-resistant and no port-forwarding networking at no cost.
>but there's no important new features!

Spoken like a true basic bitch that doesn't know anything other than the most casual observation.

People didnt know it was standard before this and have a right to be upset.
Its not like when you buy a game on steam a little message pops up and says, "Hey! I know you bought this game and if you like it you'll want the developers to make more! We're taking 30% of what you paid tho, cause we made this launcher!"
It should be 10% or we should be charged more for games.

>increase sales/have great market support in general
>buried under mountains of trash which forces users to dig for shit instead of having quality recommended to them
Phoenix Point and its developers just took an exclusivity deal with Epic, the money alone is going to benefit the developers and the game itself and its now going to be featured and 100x more visible in Epic launcher which means people interested are going to be able to find it easier.

The fact that you want to bring up "small artists" while crying about Epic is absolutely retarded

They are exclusive to the client, but not to the Steam store. Which is the issue.

Epic is not only selling their games like EA's Origin, they are paying devs for exclusivity.
Steam doesn't do that, you can even generate Steam keys and sell them yourself skipping Steam's cut.

Even console exclusives are still sold by many retailers. EGS exclusives are only sold by the EGS.

Who hurt you

Yes. And Starforce destroyed your harddrive

>people want those times back and play their games on Punkbuster running again

>I bet people would have wanted to still go out and search stores for copies of their games!
>have a shitload of cd cases around!
>writing down serial numbers and browsing broken/defunct websites for patches!

Yeah I'm sure. It's not like the rise of Netflix and other similar services proved the massive convenience that are online storefronts.

I don't care about that, I care about that I'm FORCED to use Steam.

The Fortnite bubble is going to pop eventually, like Overwatch and FNAF before it. It doesn't have enough autism magnetism to go anywhere near as long as Minecraft. I don't expect them to go under anytime soon but they will have to cut back.

No one, it's just good videogames are not made anymore and videogame developers are all scum.
Why wouldn't I want to see them fail, and have the videogame industry give me some entertainment one last time?

if epic is so good why microsoft choose steam over them to publish halo?
>inb4 gabe paid them
he literally said it was all microsoft's doing

>forced
Nigger, PC back then was nothing but pirating, Steam could not force anybody to stop pirating you retard. The only games you were """"""forced"""""" to play were made by Valve themselves and the only thing worth playing back when Steam was new was Counter Strike, which again you could pirate and start lan parties with.

Holy fuck, here we go again

Lets say there are 10 seats on the board, there might be more and there might be less
Tencent has 4
Everyone else (which there are like 10) makes up the other 6

Tencent cannot do shit without the approval of the other 6, if the other 6 approve something that Tencent does not like Tencent cannot do shit.

Are you both too retarded to understand that decisions are made by the majority? Are you THAT retarded that you dont know that 60% is greater than 40%?

Attached: 3143.png (435x405, 290K)

Or they will just start moneyhatting exclusives just like EGS since that's a proven business model, while better features/sales/service isn't. EGS as a service is demonstrably worse than Steams but exclusives being successful proves it doesn't matter. Having a better service and new features doesn't matter.

Did the EGS come out less than 2 weeks ago?

The 4 from tencent would all agree with each other meanwhile the 6 others are wildcards that won't necessarily agree with each other, only a few of them would have to side with the tencent people to swing the favor that way.

Yeah that shit can fuck right off. I'm still mad about getting kicked from games because Punkbuster was too updated.

No need to do anything, Epic will never win without reviews, forums, community guides and workshop

>He thinks it's this simple
hee hee hoo hoo you know nothing

That doesn't matter, the games aren't exclusive to steam if you have options to buy them from other places.

Nice goalposting.

>he doesn't think Epic is going silently to match this rate once the Fortnite bux their using to give themselves artificial success runs out

>the 6 other board members will always be against Tencent
Man, I wish I could be as naive as you.

>People think this matters
Steam could lower and match Epics % and ya know what? They still would go to epic, ya know why? Epic is paying them to be exclusive, you get a large chunk of money just for doing it and a free blowjob

Stop being retarded. The technology first came to fruition out of the need to protect Dota from DDOS attacks back in like 2014 or some shit.

Yes they are, as long as I'm forced to use Steam to download and play them.
That's like saying that Red dread redemption 2 is not exclusive to Playstation because I can buy it at gamestop.

It's not a store's responsibility to advertise your shit. If you have a game you have to advertise it.
Also if you think epic isn't suffering from the same shit you're delusional, go to epic right now and tell me you don't see a bunch of snowflake indie garbage as you scroll down the page. There's not even a tag or filter system on the site so early access shit will be all over the page.

The main point i wanted to make is not that tencent is making their decisions its that they throw money at epic so epic can shill their shitty store and get exclusivity deals without tencent i doubt epic would also only have 10% cut

You're making a huge assumption in that all decisions made by this hypothetical board of directors is all or nothing. Either everyone agrees with Tencent or they all don't. Seeing as a vote-based system allows for pretty obvious alternative scenarios you must actually be retarded.

I hope you don't vote for anything because you're the least qualified person I've ever seen.

Attached: grayons.jpg (680x695, 34K)

>I bet you can't provide and example of this, user
>(user says something fucking retarded)
>That's retarded, user
>NICE GOALPOSTING!!!!!

>30% is the standard across nearly every single form of digitally distributed media.
>valve offers more services for the developers with that that 30% than any other platform regardless of media
>valve is being greedy

Attached: bird squint.jpg (1280x1280, 93K)

This.
Steam is just so far ahead in terms of virtually every feature that no amount of exclusives or marketting is going to unseat them.
Steam sales are a big factor too. Picking up an entire series of games for less than 10 bucks is hard to beat.

Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't exclusive because you can also buy it on Xbox you braindead nigger.

>reading comprehension
That's not 12% being unsustainable, "unsustainable" implies they have it right now but won't be able to sustain it in the future.

They could probably raise their rate to 15-16% and cover payment processing fees themselves, but passing that fee on to the customer explicitly encourages customers to use more efficient payment methods instead of making customers who choose good methods subsidize the third-worlders who choose shitty ones.

Regardless, the rate that would be reached in a true free market is certainly well below valve's 30%.

It’s not garbage. All of them are curated to be better than the majority of the shitpile on steam.

>he doesn't think people will just start selling through steam again or whatever else is going to pop up between then and now.
retard.

Nice damage control, faggot.
>b-b-buh...

None of this makes sense.
The people who work on games want to make a decent game. Inherently they care about the consumer, although maybe not directly.
Everyone just wants to go home at the end of the day, thats the world we live in. Its shit and the cause of many a problem, but irrelevant in this discussion.
From my very basic understanding, epic is giving the developers/publishers more money, which they deserve regardless of how shit they are. They didn't make a third of the game. 30% is stupid. I know there's more than that about it, but the core is greed.

IIRC there are five seats on the board, and you understand that the other board members aren't a singular block right? It's not like "Team Epic" controls all of the other three. Tencent's reps only need to sway one guy to force a decision through.

Well maybe. But that would hardly be any more Epic's fault than Steam's. They're perfectly capable of differentiating themselves through other means, as we saw years ago.

Also personally I don't think they'd go that route. People are shitting on Epic almost unanimously for exclusivity shit, why would Valve copy all of that bad will when it could compete for devs simply by reducing their cut?

>Red dread redemption 2
Red DEAD Redemption 2 isn't exclusive to Playstation

Good games are still made buddy.
Maybe everything isnt the issue, maybe its you. When everything smells like shit, even flowers, its probably because you have shit in your nose

Reminder that PC games on E3 that do not show any platform are bound to be Epic exclusive.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be an Epic exclusive.

Devs and publishers are actively performing damage control since they know the harsh and rightful backlash of last minute switcheroos and taking Epic yuan.

Not enough for me to care.

>Epic shills resorting to straight up lying

>It should be 10%
fuck off that's too low, I don't want good digital distribution platforms to die because they operate on razor-thin margins because they are so pro artist or whatever

Its irrelevant what the standard is.
30% is too much for what they do

Listen up retards
Here are the partial owners (ie they have board seats) of Epic
1: Sweeny himself (Epic)
2: Disney
3: Endeavor (Most likely William Morris Endeavor, owners of the UFC)
4: KKR
5: ICONIQ Capital
6: Smash Ventures
7: Vulcan Capital
8: Kleiner Perkins
9: Lightspeed Venture Partners
10: Tencent

7 of them are Venture Capital firms, 1 is fucking Disney
If you honestly believe for a fucking second that Tencent can convince the fucking Goldstiens that operate these firms to make decisions that are going to fucking tank their investment and the future worth of the money making machine which is Fortnite for anything less than 10x the cost of their current ownership you are all clearly fucking mentally challenged.

Attached: 1444812534651.jpg (500x383, 46K)

Sony Microsoft and Nintendo all do 30% stop lying chink shill.

valve haters
>what does valve do to deserve 30%

also valve haters
>I don't need ANY of these features

Make up your minds, you fucks are shilling for a store that launches WITHOUT A SEARCH FUNCTION. It's 2019 and you're telling me no one at epic thought people might what to search for a game by word instead of scrolling through the entire page or ctrl + fing

If valve took a 20% loss right now theyd be fine. Its corporate fucks not being able to buy another yacht this year, oh no

considering epic have said that they will pay the developers even if the game flops it would be very hard to say no

I say it's too little. Valve should take 100% of the profit seeing as its being sold on their platform.

Epic already admitted that 12% is not enough without passing the costs onto the consumer. With things like extra charges for using certain payment methods.

How is 10% razon thin? It is a good profit.

But Tencent is after profits exclusively, if anything those companies you listed would all agree with tencent.

How is that relevant? You're talking about them releasing tech to games sold on Steam 2 weeks ago. As if that was before the EGS started putting pressure on them.

Hey now they also don't have a shopping cart or basic security.

Attached: 1516871884412.jpg (1087x1080, 112K)

You're jaded bud. I dont enjoy most games, but a lotta people do. And there's reasons i dont enjoy most games, but thats on me. I'm a drunk shit for brains
But my dude you're so far up your ass you cant see the sky

>If you honestly believe for a fucking second that Tencent can convince the fucking Goldstiens
Bugmen in Tencent are much more powerful than any Jew, Schlomo doesn't have a chance.

Valve may not have made a third of the game, but valve is paying for the cost of the dl servers the game is being distributed to, as well as processing payments, and probably a bunch of other backend stuff.
Let's also not forget that the cost of development is a sunk cost, nothing changes the fact that the dev's work is done, and thus they have no further costs to pay.

>thinking the people with yachts take pay cuts

Attached: 1534286216982.gif (300x264, 3.09M)

>a lotta people do
So that just means they have terrible taste.
The industry deserves a hardcore 80's-tier crash.

>Who the fuck cares about a shit franchise like Borderlands

A lot of people on this board given that some threads smashed out over 700 posts.

>But that would hardly be any more Epic's fault than Steam's.
It would be direcetly Epic's fault since they are the ones paying for exclusives and proving it works. Epic isn't making Valve get off their ass by making a better service or adding new features that aren't in steam, they're doing so simply by making exclusivity deals with Publishers. If you're Valve why would you waste time on making a better service or adding features when Epic has proven it doesn't matter when you have exclusives?

>why would Valve copy all of that bad will when it could compete for devs simply by reducing their cut?
Because that's not the actual reason publishers, the ones who make these decisions, are going exclusively with Epic: The minimum guarantee and revenue split come with the cavet of exclusivity.

>But Tencent is after profits exclusively
No, according to these fucking retards Tencent is trying to actively infect users with malware and steal data and ship it off to the Chinese government and apparently they control the show and can turn off Epics lights at any time.

Literal fucking tilfoil hat posting, Alex Jones theory's are more realistic.
Absolutely fucking retarded

Yea because they want to make x amount of money vs y
12% is sustainable but they want the mula. Understandable, but greedy as fuck to say they cant do 12%. Straight up lying. It doesnt take millions of dollars a year to keep a damn launcher running

And again, stop being fucking retarded. Here's a GDC conference from July 2018 that explains the system, mentions how it's been in the works for years and will be available to devs soon.

youtube.com/watch?v=2CQ1sxPppV4

Are you such a disingenuous maggot that you are going to unironically argue that people would not be able to find Borderlands 3 on Steam? Are you that naked of a two-faced liar or a mega fucking retard?

>nothing changes the fact that the dev's work is done, and thus they have no further costs to pay.
This, I feel like people forget that once a game is complete, they don't realize that all of the developers of it already got compensated for their work and are still being paid while working off time whether it's on a "Game as a Service" shit or not.

That's actually Discord's cut on the Nitro store. You won't hear about it from Epic shills because they don't actually care about the revenue split.

Their whole store is embarrassing
trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap
Six whole months to add a shopping cart to the store
Four+ months to add player time tracking and a news feed

What the fuck are they doing at that company that these things aren't already available or coming within weeks

You ain't the god of judging games. I never liked racing games, but some are objectively good.

Retard im talking about smaller studios and smaller games, you know, the people that dont get this grand increase split that Valve is giving out.

The argument for not putting a large game on Steam is that the 30%/25% they get is still too fucking high for what Valve actually does, which is fundamentally nothing.

You May have a point

and how many of those replies are about muh religion because of the cover? i havent been in many BL3 threads

Attached: 28467823_10204114223774067_2716784154132702419_n.jpg (960x598, 34K)

Regardless of whether they got paid or not doesnt matter. The game still needs to make money
There is a cost, so valve shouldnt have it there for free, but 30%? There's no way thats even remotely fair

Look, I know that your brain cells are overworked from making this shitty 1st grade math class. However, unlike you, some of us actually studied and deal with this shit.
Are seriously saying than Tencent is the only bad egg among the pile of morally dubious companies that own Epic in the first, with Tencent itself being the one of the few with the biggest balls? More often than not, they will agree with Tencent’s bullshit and run with it, and the one’s that don’t receive something else in return. This shit is not clear-cut nor as clean as you make it out to be.
Stop pretending like you actually know a damn thing about it.

I don't care if i'm not, i'm just here to enjoy the demise of the videogame industry, or at least, of the Triple A one.
Hope Bioware is the next studio to die.

>There's no way thats even remotely fair
Why? It's the same 30% console companies take and no one would dare complain about sony or nintendo or MS taking a 30% cut.

I would say about half. It's pretty funny watching thin skinned christcucks get mad over an inoffensive image.

Except Tim Sweeney owns over 50% of the company so the other 6 seats on the board are likely just him.

Industry standard is irrelevant in the argument of whether its fair or not. Id argue that 30% is too much for any of the companies you stated as well as any you can think of

30% is the standard cut for a storefront and for operation fees, nobody runs below 30% because that isn't sustainable long term. From the horses mouth, Epic themselves say so. They're running this percentage so that they can smoke out the competition with unviable cuts. You think you're being clever by such contrarianism but your chearleading the wannabe Walmart of video games. And the fact that they're acting this way when they don't even own the market is extremely worrying.

>Red Dead Redemption 2 will be an Epic exclusive.
Unless Epic is willing to shell out at least a billion dolars on RDR2, I don't think Rockstar would ever accept their offer.

>f you're Valve why would you waste time on making a better service or adding features when Epic has proven it doesn't matter when you have exclusives?
Because the majority is already on Valve's side, and exclusives bring bad branding. If Valve starts doing exclusives these hordes are going to start looking for another store to take both of their places. AND because like I said, they don't have to. Epic can only afford those exclusivity deals because Steam charges so much. Reduce their cut -> make Epic's exclusivity strategy less feasible.

>The minimum guarantee and revenue split come with the cavet of exclusivity.
Literally does not matter, it is Epic paying out of pocket for exclusivity either way to make up the opportunity cost of excluding Steam. If Steam increases the dev cut, that's a higher opportunity cost, and more Epic has to pay, one way or another. In this case the volume of guaranteed sales would increase.

12% is sustainable, they just want more money.
I dont have sources for this, but id make a bet its the case

>but 30%? There's no way thats even remotely fair
30% is considered by the industry to be fair. You're literally regurgitating Epic propaganda like a mongoloid.

You better be fuckin underage b& with that shit level reading comprehension.

Thats not at all what im saying you retarded faggot, learn to read.
>they will agree with Tencent’s bullshit and run with it
No they fucking wont and they dont have to. They will only agree with it if it will net them more money.
Know what wont net them more money?
Siphoning off data to the Chinese government and infecting users with malware. Unless they're getting fat stacks (Like i said, at LEAST 10x the cost of their current ownership stake and add some extra on top to protect against the fucking treason charges) they arent going to agree with Tencent and kill their money making machine.

Ive had retards actually claim that with 40% Tencent can "shut epics lights off", like that wouldnt turn these companies billion dollar investments to fucking dirt in a matter of seconds.
Stop pretending like YOU actually know a damn thing about it, you retarded fucking ape.

You are a peculiar dude my guy
I dont like what youre saying, but to each his own

Actually it's not, because of the industry has a consensus for market practices and then some retard barges in asking "HURR WHY DON'T YOU CUT IT IN HALF, IT'S MORE" like as if these questions exist in a vacuum and not based on storefront costs is embarrassing.

>nobody runs below 30% because that isn't sustainable long term.
Except it clearly is, thats why these store fronts have popped up. They cost next to fucking nothing to operate, they were built on the sole fact that the 30% that Valve would get from the sales of a AAA game could fund their own service easily.

The industry standard isnt fair, then. Replace valve with any other company. 30% is too much for what they do.

20% cut would be nice I agree

10% is just too low, sure digital distro is cheap as hell compared to physical. But even though they may get deals of hosting or whatever.

However, The games aren't a limited batch where they are sold only for a certain amount of time and then deleted/delisted They are still on the stores available for purchase and contributing to an ever-increasing operating cost and it is the companies best interest to charge a rate that allows them to build funds enough to stay ahead of operating costs as games become ever more bloated.

and don't say valve is just sitting on all the money right now doing nothing with, they are investing money into vr hardware which is no cheap feat

>hurrrrr

Stop pretending to be retarded. The implication was obviously that Valve only release the tools because "muh pressure from epic."

Source: My Ass

pretty sure they can take it. they've had enough warning to do something if they had intended to.

0%

>30% is considered by the industry to be fair.
Nobody says that its fair, retard, thats why companies are moving away from Steam.

Epic says it's not sustainable, these percentages are to make competing with their store highly difficult in the near future, not for the long term. You are defending malicious business practices out of sheer boredom. They are only sustainable in the short term because they are using Fortnite and Tencent bucks like welfare dollars for devs.

Maybe it's sustainable for epic because they don't bring shit to the table, people complain about steam doing nothing while epic has less services and features than even uplay or origin. It's like comparing the bills of a guy who lives in a 1 bedroom house to a guy who lives in a mansion.

Would Steam and/or consumers benefit with a loyalty program?

WHAT BAFFLES ME THE MOST IS WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT WHAT THE DEVS GET? EITHER WAY, MOST DEVS ARE TOLD TO FUCK OFF FROM THE PUBLISHER ONCE THEY COMPLETE THEIR WORK AND GET PAID THEIR FIXED SALARY

Attached: 1535532067424.jpg (956x960, 397K)

The only evidence of anything is Epic paying devs for exclusivity contracts that covers the upfront costs of the game on their store. This is hardly the industry "speaking." The mental contortions is unbelievable, none of you understand the terminology you regurgitate to perform your Epic apologism.

I can't tell if you're trying to give me that whole "well why don't you do it yourself" bullshit. Or legit don't know why someone wouldn't want to try to recreate Steam alone. So using Steam would let you use the Steamworks API which lets you access Steam servers and that makes doing network tests really easily for starters. Not that you couldn't do it without Steam of course, but it's a built in service so you're wasting time implementing that or spending money on some plugin. Steamworks also takes care of some VOIP and web browser stuff for you which can be a bitch or boring to do when you just want to program a game. Steam is also automatic DRM and provides secure transaction so you're not worrying about securing your game or your customer info. You get access to Steam Friends which can be kinda neat. Most people are normalfags so having some social aspect can be a draw to them. Steam trading cards, while I don't understand that shit, is really cool to some people so that's another draw to purchase your game. And of course there's Steam's install base which no indie developer is going to magically reproduce

tl;dr: They have a dick ton of features that are great for devs and would probably require a lot of sheer autism to recreate for a few games

The percentages are near identical and that is what matters, not the currency.

I bet if you lowered it to 10% the developers wouldn't make any more money in the process it would all go to the publisher.

>Because the majority is already on Valve's side, and exclusives bring bad branding
Who cares? The majority and "bad branding" doesn't mean shit if Epic's business model is successful and therefore making Valve get off their ass. You can't have it both ways.

>Valve starts doing exclusives these hordes are going to start looking for another store to take both of their places.
Good luck finding a store to compete with the dominant duopoly that are buying up all the exclusives.

>AND because like I said, they don't have to. Epic can only afford those exclusivity deals because Steam charges so much
They can afford these exclusivity deals because they have Fortnite/Tencent money to throw around. Steam's revenue split is largely irrelevant, I've already pointed out why their exclusivity strategy has little to do with it.

>If Steam increases the dev cut, that's a higher opportunity cost, and more Epic has to pay, one way or another. In this case the volume of guaranteed sales would increase.
Steam already increased the dev cut. What makes you think Epic will stop paying for exclusives?

Digital is only cheap compared to physical because it's exactly that: a comparison.
Valve DL servers are
>constantly up
>globally accessible
>containing every fucking game on steam
and all this costs money, likely a shitload because servers are expensive.
Combine this with the fact that the monetary gains for vidya are pretty heavily concentrated in the most successful ones, and the 30% cut starts to make more sense.

>The only evidence of anything is Epic paying devs for exclusivity contracts that covers the upfront costs of the game on their store.
How about three of the biggest companies in gaming splitting off to make their own online services? You dont think that says anything?

Its a question on whether 30% is fair. Its not. I understand its the standard and the applications to the real world, but theres no way I, philosophically, can agree with someone making something, while the company who has an autonomous thing doing the job they are even trying to take money for, gets 30%. They arent even marketing it. Its just a name on a list. Valve or these other companies just made the bulletin board
Thats an incoherent sentence i wrote in the beginning but I hope it made some sense

The bare minimum in order to sustain Steam as a distribution platform and nothing more.

>developers
I like how literally everybody fell for Epic's little marketing stint, it's like nobody remembers who actually gets paid for game sales because they've been blindsided by the prefabricated media endorsed consolewar bullshit Epic keeps pushing for.

That list is even more damning. If you desperately wanted to make your point you would have been better off lying. These are all just investing companies, of course they're more likely to agree than not.

They say they arent sustainable, but i dont believe it. Corporations arent exactly transparent. They can say damn near what they want.
>they want 5 million
>they get for
>call it unsustainable

>Because of Epic, people are not bringing Valves practices into question such as their charge rate
And THIS is why competition is good.

Fuck you valve morons who defend them blindly.

Literally just hashtag activism in a different form. People pretending that they're fighting for a cause they never gave a single thought or care about before.

Companies starting platforms for their own games isn't the same as paying 3rd party publishers to withhold publishing on competing platforms. So far all transference has been through straight up payment.

Either way, I don't understand this unique corporate worship when it pertains to Epic shilling. Devs don't get paid directly for sales so these arguments don't even make sense.

Only for AAA games

No, they arent, you retarded shit
see

steam deserves to make a profit, the marketplace isn't a charity.

You're not wrong in that they could be lying but I really doubt it is sustainable. The amount of money these publishers are raking in by going exclusive must be absolutely massive. Not to say that Fortnite isn't a monstrosity of a thing either but idk man.

I feel like the word sustainable is tainted
See

>many of the capabilities/usability Steam does.
I'v been using steam ever since Frozen throne Dota AI+ and Dead Frontier I have never used there utility or communities.

The demographic that makes X excuse in the first place aren't the demographic there after in the first place.

USA #1

TAIWAN #2

KOREA #3

JAPAN #4

TIBET #5

THAILAND #6

HONG KONG #7

CHINA #8

>philosophically

What a ponce. The odds that you were deeply concerned over dev(actually publisher pay btw) allowance on digital storefronts before Epic starting shilling its miracle number is none. You are such a fake fuck and you're posturing is obnoxious.

I like how this really only popped up as soon as Steam had become pretty much as fully-featured and robust as it could. It's got all the features devs could want, and they take it for granted.

But whatever. I switched back to piracy for ALL titles as soon as Epic started their shenanigans. Tim Sweeney made me realize I was a fucking idiot for buying when I can just steal and save the money regardless of which platform the game is on.

>Fuck you valve morons who defend them blindly.
>defends Epic blindly while spewing PR bullshit
The irony

>This is about developers
Devs aren't getting any of this newfound cash, their publishers are. Stop falling for the narrative.

>no it isn't full of investor companies you retard
>posts list full of investing companies besides fucking Disney
Really makes ya think doesn't it

They offer devs free advertisement and a complete platform for their games, servers, distribution, updates, forums, mods, anti-cheat and even DRM. The only reason why Ebin is offering it cheaper is because they haven't taken costs into account, and are trying to force themselves into the market.
I say it's a fair share but that's for the market to decide.

Me neither, just going with my gut. Theres not much i know in this world, really only a few things
>i like video games
>corporations want to fuck me
>tits are nice
Thats literally it

You do realize that money is already being siphoned off to China by the very nature of Tencent's business relationship, right? If anyone actually cared about those criticism, which are actually valid, then they wouldn't have accepted Tencent's buyout to begin with.

>Game is doing better than stated.
>Duh. Well I pirated it anyway.
I forget Yea Forums is full of retarded children.

I wasnt concerned because i didnt know. I knew devs dont make much money and i assumed it was because EA and shit. Then i find out the standard is 30% and another company is doing 12%.
I know theres more to it, but i just want good games and the app i buy it from shouldnt take 30% of the money i want to go to the developer

Learn to read you illiterate fucking ape, they arent going to fucking agree because it will cost them MONEY.
You know? MONEY
The thing investment companies are trying to MAKE? and trying to KEEP?

China making money means nothing you retarded cunt, we're talking about siphoning information and having direct control over the company which they fucking dont.

It's not greed, it's the financial requirement to make sure everyone can keep their steam libraries for many years to come. Valve doesn't have the Unreal Engine and Fortnite nest egg like Epic does.

answer the question user stop stalling

;)

you mean VAC lmao, EPIC actually has shit that looks into ur comp that's scary shit.

>to make sure everyone can keep their steam libraries for many years to come
You poor, poor mentally challenged child.
If they were saving money to make sure that Steam stays afloat, why the fuck do they hire hundreds of people do sit around and do nothing all day and all receive a full expenses 5 star full family vacation to Hawaii every year?

Nobody is ignorant of Tencent's relationship with the Chinese government. My point still stands.

Developer's don't get paid directly for game sales. They receive payment contractually from the publisher, unless they are self published. This brash ignorance isn't honorable or noteworthy, just embarrassing. Literally taking campaign slogans at face value. I implore you to stop repeating marketing talking points.

You're crazy if you don't think the bad will they've garnered is giving them an uphill battle to climb. Discussions on EGS-exclusive games are at least half (afaik on twitter it's basically 100%) about the EGS anywhere you look. Yea Forums is not an outlier. I guarantee Valve isn't keen on jumping into that dumpster fire with them.

>I've already pointed out why their exclusivity strategy has little to do with it.
No, you pointed out that the way Epic pays isn't strictly through an exclusivity lump sum. You haven't addressed how Steam's pricing is irrelevant to a dev's decision to cut them out of their distribution network. That's nonsense.

>Steam has already increased the dev cut
For the upper .00001% selling games that Epic probably wouldn't be able to afford anyways. Or is there something new I don't know?

This is the first argument thats made sense to me

>be a worker
>make more than your worth justifying your existence
>I-I'm getting robbed!

love me some cry baby devs. try selling sandwiches like a real man then tell me how your salary is not fair

Didn't epic themselves say their 12% is not going to work for then in the long run?

The 30% cut is from the publisher numbskull not the developer, publishers will always set the price point for how much devs are paid. The fact that you don't know this means you never gave two shits about the developers in the first place if you neglected to do the minuscule amount of research.

Roblox takes over 70% and no one gives a fuck

Because as an employee of a company you shouldnt feel like a slave. Wagecuck here and its awful

Yeah, they arent, which is why the venture capital companies will not let Tencent make moves with THEIR INVESTMENT and THEIR MONEY that will benefit the Chinese goverment and COST THEM MONEY

Your point is fucking retarded.

That's actually not what they do, their staff is arranged toward VR development and other research. This is meme tier talking points, although I am personally unhappy with their spread focus.

Your arguments come off as ironic shitposts.

>30% is completely fair
SO why are gaming developers WILLINGLY caving into EPIC games?

but gabens isnt crying

1. Where the fuck are you getting this information from?
2. What the fuck is wrong with vacations?
3. Why the fuck do you even care? Are you an indie game dev?

Epic will become a bastion for indie games, I imagine. Not for much else though. Steam has a decade of community building behind it.

I dont know what campaign shit youre talking about. I know the publishers get the money based on sales, but with that money they hire more developers and make more games. Outside of EA and Activision i guess, but idk much about that either.
You said self published. So 30% of their game revenue is fair?

It's a mix of that and corporate paternalism/infatalism. A lot of consumers now form vicarious relationships with devs/publishers and will gladly forgo their own benefits to appease their surrogate mommy/god.

So far devs have been taking paid exclusivity deals, but your ilk continue to obfuscate this minor detail.

>and other research.
So you have:
10 people on the CS team
5 people on the DotA2 team
5 people trying to put out the Artifact fire
0 people on the TF2 team
200 people fucking around with their "pet projects" where they "dont want to feel like a slave", do no work and then go home, come back the next day cancel one "pet project" and start another and repeat forever

Really good use of company money

Honestly I don't even understand your argument. You're claiming that these investment companies willingly let Tencent in but aren't willing to work with Tencent to make money because making money means a fraction of that goes to China? You're retarded then because these companies don't give a flying fuck about any money except their own and they certainly don't give a fuck about your privacy.

>curated good games
Which is why Heavy Rain and Beyond Two souls are being added?

>b-but those are good
No, I'm gonna stop you right there. That is a wrong opinion and I will not tolerate it. They are objectively bad games.

5%

No they were losing big games because publishers with their own launchers realized "hey wait, I can just release this shit myself now". EA, Ubisoft, Actiblizzard, Bethesda/Zenimax and more all do it, some of them have been doing it from the start.

SeeBut yea, i havent done any research at all. Im here to learn, but I have opinions on it and have yet to feel im wrong
I think its corporate greed and these companies are making it seem theyre barely getting by.
>12% is too little
Bull fucking shit

You don't know what you're talking about at all.

KEK so he's right, huh? you're the only one who implied it was a bad thing for him to know about this and now everyone knows. i would fire you if i were epic/tencent

How does a small minority of people abusing a system make it a bad thing overall?

Except im not, i dont give a flying fuck about Epic.

But now you're talking about gaming distribution platforms and what a fair cut is. That makes this whole event fucking worth it shill.

As long as their storefront continues to not be malicious, none of this is really relevant. This is just image board banter, in what way are consumers getting affected. Some brain dead talking point about "doing nothing" but they've already established their store with the highest amount of customer features and control, and extremely generous sales. You can only rely on some obscurantist argument of 'doing something' amazing or noteworthy when they've already established their product, while you shill for a competitor who is reluctant to give customers half as much agency. So far this has translated into zero saved costs for customers, the only factor that is actually relevant in this entire conversation.

>Honestly I don't even understand your argument.
How about you learn to read then you retarded faggot
>You're claiming that these investment companies willingly let Tencent in but aren't willing to work with Tencent to make money because making money means a fraction of that goes to China?
Retard, let me make sure you comprehend this
WHAT TENCENT WANTS TO DO TO "BENEFIT" THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT
WILL
NOT
MAKE
THE
OWNERS
MONEY
>You're retarded then because these companies don't give a flying fuck about any money except their own
Yeah, you're god damn right they dont care about any money that isnt their own, how the fuck did you not read what i fucking said and understand that?
Again, read this shit carefully
Unless they're getting fat stacks (Like i said, at LEAST 10x the cost of their current ownership stake and add some extra on top to protect against the fucking treason charges) they arent going to agree with Tencent and kill their money making machine.

Have any of you fucks seen the massive difference between the Epic EULA and the Steam EULA because it is a huge.
epicgames.com/site/en-US/privacypolicy
store.steampowered.com/eula/648800_eula_0

Epic is fucking you right up the ass searching your cookies.
>bu-but steam is just as bad
NO YOU DUMB NIGGER. LEANR HOW TO READ

>give more money to publishers
fixed

Dear god this list is even worse

>customer features and control
I get you, you're a tranny that wants to make sure their profile really "expresses who they really are"

Disregard Steams shitty "2 hours only :)" refund policy, as long as you can make sure everybody else knows how mentally ill you are, Steam is fantastic and perfect

Attached: 1554293152714.png (1154x855, 475K)

And yet despite all the "bad they've garnered" and all the discussions of ES-exclusivity they are still selling well and convincing publishers to sign exclusivity deals with them. In doing so proving that their exclusivity-driven business model works, and making valve "get off their fucking asses". Again, you can't have it both ways.

>No, you pointed out that the way Epic pays isn't strictly through an exclusivity lump sum.
I pointed out the exact opposite. If the revenue split is what actually mattered then these devs would be flocking to Discord Nitro which has an even more favorable revenue split that Epic without requiring exclusivity. The idea that publishers are cutting out Steam because of the revenue split despite also making exclusivity deals is nonsense.
>>Steam has already increased the dev cut
>For the upper .00001% selling games that Epic probably wouldn't be able to afford anyways
Protip: Epic's cut is also based on a minimum revenue. The only difference is it's lower than valve's and valve isn't offering a guaranteed minimum sales payout.

They would rather moneyhat games into their store than spend resources to make the client attractive to consumers. Fuck Tim Sweeney.

Fact is, Tencent cant do shit without going through these companies and convincing them that "installing malware to send data to the chinese government" is going to get them more moneye

Pro tip: They cant beat the jews.

New thread

>conan
>perfect game

Nice deflection fuckboy, good to know you're all out of ammo.

steam profiles have not seen significant change in years compared to the rest of steam, you're being disingenuous

Does Epic have game forums, guides, workshops, curators, profile customization, a client mode suited for couch gaming, family sharing? All these things build communities and communities are the heart of everything that thrives. And then you do have the discounts that keeps people interested.

You never answered my question, why do you care so much? Why not use both like a regular person who just wants to play video games? I can only picture you as an indie game dev or an Epic employee otherwise.

>Profile customisation
Sorry they dont tranny, guess you'll just have to stay on Steam :(

>Disregard Steams shitty "2 hours only :)" refund policy
The same refund policy Epic and Microsoft has? Who has a better refund policy on digital games?

I'm sorry the sweatshop you've lived your whole life in has neutered your ability to appreciate decoration of any kind, but know that folks in the West don't like living like roaches in cubicles, or not being able to create homes for themselves.