Do you miss Pre rendered backgrounds?

Post some of your favorite pre rendered backgrounds.

Attached: Final-Fantasy-VIII-HD.png (1280x896, 1.75M)

I guess so, but everyone does.

Attached: 7MIN1.png (512x432, 171K)

I do

Attached: prbg.gif (500x425, 716K)

no not really

Attached: OoT-January_Interace_NOE.jpg (293x215, 15K)

yes but theres no reason to use them anymore

comfy and soul

wow, this one is beautiful. hate to be that guy but wut gaem?

>move 1 screen
>suddenly have no idea where the fuck I am because the perspective is completely different
>can't have any idea where anything is compared to anywhere because of it

fuck that

Never had this problem even when I was 12 years old. Consult an eye doctor.

Attached: ITHOS.png (624x336, 187K)

stop posting garbage AI-smudged backgrounds

>Move 1 screen
What are you blithering about you fucking retard?

hand made scenario with 3d models? Hell yeah dude completely soul

Attached: 145624-sacred-underworld-windows-screenshot-pirates-island.jpg (1024x768, 296K)

>move to another screen
>forget to take my finger off the control stick
>immediately move back to the screen I was on before

>we'll never get a FF7 that had properly animated characters and full sized models to take advantage of these backgrounds akin to FF8
and no, ai-upscaling backgrounds and tossing in HD fan models doesn't improve it

It's a bit of a shame static backgrounds (rendered or hand drawn) have been relegated to tiny indie games. The impression the artist can create through exact control over composition and lighting lend a very different feel to these games that fully 3D games typically can't match.

I kind of how you're begin deliberately ironic here.

Wasn't this more expensive than making shit 3d backgrounds? Though I can imagine it got around the limitations of the PS1 and such.

i do. indie games could get away with so much soul and decent graphics if they went the same route as old square games.

Yes, very much

Attached: silver.jpg (710x533, 77K)

I heard Square threw away all the files due to liquidation.....on how they didn't have enough harddrive space at the time or something.

Attached: ahhh.jpg (125x114, 2K)

Attached: BLIN64.png (608x400, 217K)

I like them but I understand why games don't use them, there is a level of planning and coordination required to make it work that modern game scale can't meet.

Attached: image.png (1920x1080, 2.92M)

Yep. AAA looks so stoogy so often because of avoiding this

Saving data was a foreign concept for entertainment entities at the time. Heck, Toy Story 2 almost didn't happen because only one person had the sense to back up the data, which saved them after they experienced data loss.

Yeah, giving complete control to artists like this always does wonders and basically gets us as close to the concept art as we can. I don't know why the average person is so apathetic to them because they tend to look excellent and are fuly worth the drawbacks they have otherwise.

I wish there was more prerendered horror games made by indies

Attached: oddworld.png (640x480, 224K)

I'm glad that Square-Enix actually preserved the original backgrounds just enough for the HD Remaster to make good use of them, compared to PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING ELSE in their fucking catalog.

tiles don't count

Prerendered BGs are the best video games has ever looked and most likely will ever look and they don't need a powerful rig.

Attached: bghall_1.png (368x368, 146K)

>those shadows
Why can't modern games be like this

Its good stuff

Attached: 1422714901-walkthrough-mannys-office.png (640x480, 189K)

That's the part that is most interesting. With all the processing power on modern rigs trying to make everything as photorealistic through real-time rendering as possible, you'd actually probably get more mileage in, say, a Resident Evil-style game by just making 4k backgrounds so you can pile all that real rendering hardware into the character models and interactive stuff.

I'm not gonna give Capcom shit for REmake 2 being what it was, I had my fun, but it's jarring just how hard pre-rendered got abandoned for abusing modern processing and gradual less net gains in the process.

Attached: 304240_20190205173641_1.png (1920x1080, 2.07M)

it's 2019, where's the love letter to pre rendered background games?
do people hate money?

hard to make

Attached: 121 - pvH3vy4.jpg (480x320, 264K)

It doesn't work well for games like Resident Evil where the camera and directions change but it's perfect for RPG and diablo-like.

I remember they looked good, but I also remember the jarring camera changes and direction changes in the controls...

Attached: full throttle.gif (1200x627, 177K)

i like them but they seem pointless with today's hardware

It's all about artistic value and technical skill. It's a lot easier for a small team to make something stylistic out of pre-rendered stuff than trying to slap together yet another Unity asset flip, for one. It's never so much "pointless" as it is depending on one's vision for their game.

Daily reminder that The Desolate Hope is still free on Steam.

Attached: ss_985dd35c523f65d191d3b1ff43032b834e30cfbd.1920x1080.jpg (1288x754, 387K)