Hey gamers. I wanna get into Dragon Quest, which entries and which versions should I play?

Hey gamers. I wanna get into Dragon Quest, which entries and which versions should I play?

Attached: dragonquest3.jpg (700x394, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pUFO5uE2FeM
romhacking.net/translations/1482/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Play them all except maybe 2.
Also you can't play X because you're not nippon.
For the love of god don't play I or II on NES or IV on DS. Everything else is fine.

What's wrong with 4 on DS?

I started with the translated version of V on the SNES. It's a damn shame this game never came out in the US back then

Nothing. It's a meme and every time I've ever asked for an explanation I get zero. Don't listen to that retard.

Reminder that he's in

They cut the party chat feature from the western release. Your party members would comment on what's currently happening in the game. The only way to use it in English is by playing the mobile version.
Or he could just be complaining about the localization. The accents can make it hard to read.

*No Party Chat
*The worst localization in series history
Either play NES for a good translation or mobile for all the dialogue and content.

>*The worst localization in series history
Again, how is it any worse than V or VI?

God I hope so, brother.

Any of the remakes on DS were pretty good. DQ5 is especially good. DQ9 is one of the best which was on PS2 and has a 3DS remake.

The best is still probably the most recent game. I've heard nothing but good things apart from the soundtrack, which can be changed with a mod.

>Again
You didn't ask.
It makes more arbitrary changes than either of those games, leans harder on accents than any other localization (Ragnar's section is just outright bad), and, as mentioned previously, they cut like half the dialogue.

Like I said, the NES version has a better translation, the Mobile version has all content, pick your poison. I don't mind the localizations aside from IV, it's just really overbearing at times.

I unironically play the mobile version of IV from time to time, the game is fantastic. Also, Alena is the cutest and the translation makes her sound goofy and I love her for that

You mean 8.
9 was DS only.

Yeah 8. 9 was pretty bad.

>I or II on NES
I did. I do not recommend. I still started over on real hardware recently.

>You didn't ask.
I ask every time it comes up and never get an answer that isn't crying about accents.

>Like I said, the NES version has a better translation, the Mobile version has all content
NES version looks like shit and phone games are for literal children, I'll stick with the DS version because I'm not autistic, thanks.

9 was based. Class-based DQ are best DQ.

1 sucks dick. Just finished it and holy fuck it's bad now.

Yea Forums is so gullible they'll fall for the bait.

>phone games are for literal children
It's literally just the DS version, but with party chat. It's a direct port.

case in point.

3 and 7
Play the rest at your leisure

8 and 11 shit all over those.

III on SNES
V on PS2 or DS
VIII on PS2

Play V so you can go see the movie after
youtube.com/watch?v=pUFO5uE2FeM

>III on SNES
Look at a video of III on the GBC and on the SNES. See what version fits your aesthetic taste better.

Ew.

>Dreamworks tier models and animation
>No Toriyama style
Fucking why? DQ11's cinematic looked fucking perfect.

>Implying I'm not aware.
Listen, I don't care.
I'm gonna respond anyway. This is a lack of self-control, not stupidity.

Attached: 1539357034461.png (632x722, 322K)

>I-I-I knew it was bait but I still answered deliberately, trust me!
You're not fooling anyone, dumbass.

Play 1 and 3 on the SNES;
4, 5 and 9 on the DS;
7 and 8 on the 3DS;
It doesn't matter where you play 11.

5 is best on PS2 actually.

You're just going to keep giving me attention as long as I reply and I get to correct people. For a useless faggot like myself, there's no downside to replying to hyperbolic bullshit. Like this post, for example. You'll reply, maybe not directly to dent me (You)s, but you also can't help yourself. You get a kick out of "exposing" me as stupid just like I do for "correcting" you.

Attached: 1537073153881.png (1280x1279, 249K)

i don't think the average Yea Forumsgoer can read japanese user

There is a full translation patch. romhacking.net/translations/1482/

8 is always way better on PS2.

All of them are worth playing except I and II(I only played the NES versions of those two, don't know how much the SNES/GBC version improve upon the games)

III is a fine starting point if you want to start as far back as possible without playing garbage, and its a good representation of the series as a whole, best version is SNES.
VIII, and XI are also good starting points if you want something more modern to ease yourself in.
Really you can start anywhere you want, though VII might not be a good place to start, its got a long intro (takes an hour an a half before you get to your first encounter) and overall is kind of an oddball of the series, it has a much more heavy focus on the stories of its different towns and areas than any other DQ. Though it is really great and worth checking out once you've already experienced some of the other games.

The only reason I can see people disagreeing with you about starting at III is because of the mid-game twist of being a prequel to the first two games, which was a huge deal at the time seeing as its immediate competitor Final Fantasy kept all of its storylines wholly independent of one another.

III arrived before FF I was even out.

shit, now i just look like a fool because i can't easily keep track of the years these games came out, sorry

Yes, but not in USA. Final Fantasy was released there before Dragon Quest. Don't get me started on Europe; fucking Enix hasn't released a single game on this continent before their merging with Square.

What? No it wasn't, FFI came out in 1987, DQIII was 1988, same year as FFII.

>Nintendo both publishing P5S and DQXIS
the guv's comin' home lads

cope and concede, dog

Why the fuck did they not animate it in Toriyama's artstyle? Are they too cheap to pay him or something, wouldn't they have to pay him in the first place for using his designs?

Attached: kiryl.jpg (300x400, 25K)

Don't listen to this guy. 2 is amazing and the OG English NES versions (Dragon Warrior) are fucking classics.

Thou hath done well in defeating the slime!

But if old NES stuff bothers you because they're too hard or whatever just play Dragon Quest 11. It's basically the greatest JRPG ever made and has all the modern sensibilities in UI design and whatnot.

>Bianca wearing armor
Her stats are those of a mage, is she going to become the generic strong woman analogue or what?

They removed party chat. That's literally it. People spurg out and act like it's the end of the goddamn world

They want that dreamworks money.

Attached: astrid copy.png (1204x986, 704K)

Oh yeah, come to think of it, DQ does have a link to Universal Studios.

Attached: image16900x597_thumb.jpg (554x368, 89K)

blasphemy

They fucked up the translation pretty hard too. I never played the original but reading Ragnar's region speech gave me cancer. I had to go over some sentences a few times to understand what the fuck was being said.

fucking dumbnigger cant even search for something

Attached: WHYTHEFUCK.png (919x3712, 3.05M)

>NES version looks like shit
zero taste

How much of a brainlet do people have to be to find that hard to read?

ESL's can't handle the different dialects that certain characters/towns have

>I wanna get into Dragon Quest
But why? They all have childish stories and characters, coupled with simplistic and outdated gameplay.

I always thought that it was very stupid and hilarious that everyone in Alena's country just spoke broken english to each other

have sex

Start with the ASMR videos featuring Priestess, Mage and Fighter from DQIII