What's the oldest game that, if it were released today for the first time, would be lauded as a modern masterpiece?

What's the oldest game that, if it were released today for the first time, would be lauded as a modern masterpiece?

Attached: Super_Mario_Bros_3_(NES)_10.gif (240x224, 370K)

Probably something recent, most old games are only seen as good because they were the first to do something well

>What's the oldest game
>Something recent

Not necessarily. Something with a great story could qualify as well. Maybe Baldur's Gate, to answer OP's question.

zoom zoom

pac man

>oldEST
>recent
I see no contradiction here.

>Implying if Zelda were put on steam today it wouldn't be seen as rpgmaker trash

kind of a retarded question to ask when you consider that most "masterpieces" spawned further iterations of sequels and otherwise improved formulas

Planescape: Torment, maybe? People would really bitch about the combat though.

Pac-Man would be seen as a massive step down from Ms. Pac-Man so I don't think it's the oldest

Deus Ex Machina and Moondust

Nothing has topped Deus Ex since Deus Ex, so the answer is Deus Ex.

the first zelda is great, dumbass.

Yoshi's Island
Kirby Superstar
Super Mario RPG

Pick just about any RPG or platformer from the SNES and people will praise it as a retro title from the heavens.

Attached: JAAACKIIIIIE.gif (400x300, 1.02M)

ms pac man wouldn't exist in this scenario since pac man was never released

Its no better than rpgmaker shovelware

people wouldn't even play it. looks like an asset flip indie cash-grab by comparison to what we have today.

I don't think a better pick exists OP

I can't tell if I'm too young to like the nes zeldas or if they just didn't age well

pacman would be a flash game

zoom! zoom!

Graphics are the only thing nu-gamers care about, so none of them. Unless it was released in a new ultra-HD version in which case it would be hailed as the second coming even if it was complete trash like Superman 64.

Super Mario 64 was one of the first mainstream 3D platformers and it's still the best game in its genre.

I can see Tetris becoming a huge thing if were released today for the first time.

*slices on you*
look kid, not every game can be fortnite

If Mario 3 was released today it wouldn't be called a masterpiece. People could complain about the lack of save feature, and the odd difficulty curve (harder than easy games, but not quite kaizo tier for the people who like hard platformers). Then again there's also the fact Mario 3 basically set the standard for what makes a good 2d platformer, so without it who knows where the genre would have went.

In general though, I'd say most puzzle games or games with "timeless" gameplay could still work. Tetris, Dr. Mario, Puyo Puyo, etc.

>Graphics are the only thing nu-gamers care about
Undertale sure had some amazing graphics

These games work better when the internet and walkthroughs exist

Attached: mother.jpg (638x824, 556K)

Looks like your options are games that haven't been replicated then.

Attached: Don'tSlip.webm (240x160, 752K)

Metroid Prime

Imagine if CvS2 came out in 2020 and it was Capcom and SNK celebrating their history with a retro-inspired sequel to CvS1

haha

Attached: 1517943779922.png (900x721, 424K)

This. Tetris scratches an itch that no other game does. It's instantly recognizable and uncomparable.

You're just a zoomer. Games don't age.

Attached: B4F1F6BE-57EC-4030-A21D-4D99E7062224.jpg (750x432, 57K)

Yup, I can see this blowing minds still. People would complain about the weird controls but they were weird then too.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Reggie Fils-Aimé will personally announce the new expansion for Mario Odyssey. This announcement will be announced at the next Nintendo Direct on April 8. This photo was taken internally. It will be done by Reggie it will appeal to nostalgia and remind you of the good times you have when playing Mario games. It will contain easter eggs of Mario Sunshire.

Attached: reggie_expansion_pass_mario.jpg (800x450, 25K)

Classic Sonic games released today would be considered unplayable trash without the legacy of other Sonic games to lean on.

Any game where you basically have to memorize the whole level before you can play it properly is supremely antiquated.

OLD GAME BAD

???
classic sonic games built the legacy you retarded zoom babby

shut up

If FFXV was released in 1997 it would be classed as the greatest game of all time.

based

you know instead of what we got with SNK Heroines.

Now I just made myself sad that we can never get a CvS3

could be true but that's a different thread

But Sonic 1, 2 and CD exist

Freedom Planet proved you still needs waifus to move sonic clones.
Sonic Mania banked on nostalgia and the fact that it was that good.

Tetris

the CIA would raid Square and interrogate them on how they got so much processing power in 1997

nu's love smash at 720p on an underpowered switch. gameplay > graphics still for many

square would just summon knights of the round on them

Probably any of these, since most of them were reviewed in modern times
> Highest Reviewed Games
> 1. Ocarina of Time (99) (1998)
> 2. SoulCalibur (98) (1999)
> 3. Grand Theft Auto IV (98) (2008)
> 4. Super Metroid (97) (1994)
> 5. Chrono Trigger (97) (1995)
> 6. Metroid Prime (97) (2002)
> 7. Super Mario Bros 3 (97) (1989)
> 8. Perfect Dark (97) (2000)
> 9. Super Mario Galaxy (97) (2007)
> 10. Super Mario World 2 (97) (1994)
> 11. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97) (2010)
> 12. Super Mario Odyssey (97) (2017)
> 13. Breath of the Wild (97) (2017)
> 14. Metal Gear Solid 2 (97) (2001)
> 15. Resident Evil 4 (97) (2005)
> 16. Grand Theft Auto SA (97) (2004)
> 17. Grand Theft Auto V (97) (2013)
> 18. Grand Theft Auto III (97) (2001)
> 19. Red Dead Redemption 2 (97) (2018)
> 20. Halo: Combat Evolved (97) (2001)
> 21. RE: Code Veronica (96.5) (2000)
> 22. Final Fantasy VI (96) (1994)
> 23. Chrono Cross (96) (2000)
> 24. The Wind Waker (96) (2003)
> 25. Super Mario World (96) (1990)

>zelda
>zelda
>zelda
>zelda
>mario
>mario
>mario
>mario
>gta
>gta
>gta
>gta
i sleep

This man has the answer

Imagine actually thinking Nintendo aren't the most consistently talented developers in the industry

Tetris

It still is a modern masterpiece because people still play it

Attached: 582633-starcraft-demo-version-windows-screenshot-the-tutorial-mission.png (640x480, 115K)

r/ourguy/ jim "based jim" sterling told me that nintendo is dumb and bad

Oh I see, you're a Sonic fan who fakes being a boomer

came here to say Tetris

retard samefag

Tetris.