What makes a homosexual character "forced". If they're doing the same thing any of their straight counterparts would do...

What makes a homosexual character "forced". If they're doing the same thing any of their straight counterparts would do, for instance mentioning their male significant other in relevant conversation, is it still "forced" for calling attention to the character's homosexuality?

Attached: 224px-Soldier76-portrait.png (224x350, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcnews.com/id/20762841/ns/health-mental_health/t/gay-or-straight-watch-his-walk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Based. Bigots literally do not have an argument other than "i hate gays."

I feel like 76 wasn't exactly 'forced' but it felt like it was some strategy by Blizzard to get positivity on the internet while their company was doing bad financially. And I'm sure more people would've preferred Roadhog or Reinhardt to be gay. 76's body is just too generic

>take a normal character
>say they're a faggot
It's like they've never even seen a faggot irl before. They are not normal people. The margin for faggots who you can't immediately tell are faggots, are like 1% of them.

>make character with a backstory
>make him a faggot a couple of years later for no reason at all

It's not forced, but it is a ploy to avoid releasing actual content and story

Yeah it was all a publicity stunt and to save face. And the worst part is that "woke" people ate it up.

you would first have to define what "forced" is exactly. the problem with that is that it's frequently used when people see something they don't like, Soldier 76 being gay was seen as "forced" and Kassandra having a husband was seen as "forced". "Forcing" something onto a character means to make them act in a way or have a trait they wouldn't, it's a fictional character, it can be anything the writer wants but the way people tend to think of these characters is as people. Knowing this we can group the people who didn't like Soldier 76 being gay into two groups: people who don't like gays and people who felt it was untrue to the way the character was previously presented. Using myself as an example I don't believe that Soldier 76 was a character written as being gay, that doesn't mean he has to act like a complete faggot or sissy, human behavior is on a scale between extremity, only that nothing about his personality or lore indicated the possibility. It just feels very synthetic next to Overwatches 'gurlgamer' controversy.

Attached: 1554007313952.png (540x662, 172K)

I also hate when straight characters mention their partners not just gays
i hate romance in general
Leftists BTFO

>What makes a homosexual character "forced"
When they do a JK Rowling-tier retcon. You can't just say retroactively that someone is gay, fuck that shit. No one would have an issue if they made Baptiste gay or whatever. It's the whole "gotcha" they tried to pull on the audience that was stupid and disingenuous.

S76 being gay is just a publicity stunt
>No real comic or lead up
>Revealed after grillgamer controversy and out of season April's Fool joke
>His ex-bf is a character we will never see in the game or lore ever again
>His "gayness" doesn't affect his gameplay, character or even lore honestly
>Literally a panic button gay
They didn't have balls to make it an actual part of his character. Just random line of text in random story. The "Bastet challenge" is bottom of the barrel game content. OW is dead.

also this revelation came at the same time during that controversy

If Overwatch said Soldier 76 was gay back when the game first came out then I'd give them props. As it stands, it feels like a weak attempt to appeal to whoever they possibly can to remind people that their game exists. Can they please come back and play now? Please?

JK Rowling as shit.

Attached: 234.png (1280x1557, 1.18M)

>know a person for years
>never really been too close but we talk every now and again
>one day he starts talking about his boyfriend
>"wtf you're gay? This is so forced how come you aren't a flaming faggot? You must have just come out of the closet or something"
>"no, user, I've been gay long before we met, what exactly did you expect me to act like?"
What do you honestly thing real gay people act like in real life? It seems like most people against gay S76 have this cartoon caricature view of gay people as all being limp-wristed, make-up wearing, shrill-voiced queers, and that they haven't actually met a gay person irl.

>Roadhog or Reinhardt to be gay
While this may be true, Reaper76 is the second most popular pairing behind McHanzo, it was just blatant pandering.

Roadhog and Junkrat being boyfriends makes more sense though.

Attached: 456745.png (512x678, 638K)

>too retarded to pick up on signals
>thinks everyone can't tell when their friends are gay

Not everyone is autistic like you user.

>Yea Forums
>going outside
>interacting with people
where do you think you are

I'm not against him being gay at all. Like I said here it would have been cool if they said it right away. Them saying it NOW, when Overwatch is becoming irrelevant and sales are waning, feels like a shitty pandering attempt. I'm queer myself, and it feels less like they want to provide gay representation with 76 than they want to appear "woke" and bring back any fans of his ships.

Probably because it came out right around the "Out of Season April Fools Joke" backlash and they rushed out this story to try and change the news.

This is especially apparent due to the fact this is the first Overwatch piece of media that is just text and barely any new art.

Idiots like you always see conspiracy theories where there are none. Your brain is literally wired wrong.

Exactly. I have no problem with gays or anything, but it’s extremely obvious if someone is gay. We knew my brother was gay when he was fucking 5 years old. You can’t hide that shit. Only stupid women didn’t know that Ricky Martin was gay. Literally every man knew.

Being gay will never be cool, get over it

Wait
Ricky Martin is gay???!??!?

O_O

>coincidentally release this info, which is one line of text from a no-name comic, as soon as Blizzard is receiving massive heat from the girl-gamer hoax and the Diablo Immortal reveal
>IT'S JUST A COINCIDENCE GOYIM, DON'T THINK ABOUT IT TOO MUCH

The point I'm trying to make is that gay people don't run around with a sign on their back saying "FAGGOT" and a lot of the time when you meet a gay person you wouldn't know it unless they tell you. S76 being revealed as gay doesn't make him "suddenly gay" it means you didn't know he was gay and now you do, because he brought it up. However, I do agree that it does seem fishy, and I wouldn't put it past blizzard to pull a stunt like this for publicity.

Does Marketing highlight them being gay before release - then forced

Do they mention being gay for no apparent reason - forced

Does resetera, Neogaf, Twitter, Reddit celebrate the character like the return of Jesus - Probably going to be forced.

People don't really care; providing they are well written, and talk of being gay is relevant to the story.

Personally I think Dorian from Dragon Age is a good example - Marketing of the game pointedly mentioned him being Gay; that made him forced; but the writing, personal story etc, made him a funny enjoyable character; and made his being gay relevant to the plot.

Anders from DA2 - yeah, that was bad.

Fallout 4 does it simply but in a way that I think would cut some of the shit out... have everyone's sexuality be neutral, and allow the player be the one to decide who they romance.

The fact that he was designed for years and then 2/3 years into the games lifespan, he’s suddenly gay.

You can delete your thread now, OP. Faggot.

That makes sense.
But Blizzard is not known for being great about representation of any kind. I'm skeptical and I just sort of rolled my eyes at the announcement. The best thing to come from it was pissing off retards who were screaming about it being SJW

Hi, Jew.

Soldier is not a human, he’s a character trope sprinkled with gay sprinkles.

You are dumb.

That’s not remotely true, though. It’s fucking hilarious when gay people think nobody knows they’re gay, but everyone was just too polite to point out they already figured it out. All gay people sound and act different. I defy you to list a single exception.

This is more about Blizzard as a company and not S76 being gay. They just can't write a decent character even to save their life. I'm gay and don't mind 76, but I still dislike Blizzard regardless.

When the inclusion of their sexual orientation, or details about their sexual orientation, has no bearing whatsoever on their character. A good test is, if you removed a detail about a character's sexual orientation, straight or homo, and it doesn't make a difference in how people understand the character (obviously outside their sexuality), it was unnecesary, and therefor forced; only included for the sake of virtue signaling. If you had a character, and their sexuality had absultely nothing to do with the story they're apart of, and they randomly yelled "BY THE WAY I LOVE FUCKING WOMEN" for no apparant reason, that'd be weird. You'd expect that kind of behavior from a dudebro or a womanizer, but if those aren't actually characteristics of the character, it's just weird, and only included to shoehorn in a sexuality for the character. Just write gay characters, instead of writing characters gay, and no one will care.

>What makes a homosexual character "forced".
The fact that it was 76 and not McCree

>Know a person for years
>Don't ever bring up relationships or family

Sounds like i never liked the fag to begin with and his personal life should have never come up since it played no role in how i interacted with them.

nbcnews.com/id/20762841/ns/health-mental_health/t/gay-or-straight-watch-his-walk/
This article shows that participants were able to identify gays 60% of the time just by watching someone walk. If you add speech and gestures into that, you’d fucking spot them instantly. It’s fucking obvious.

That would have been more forced. Other than Broke back mountain, cowboys aren’t known for being gay. Soldiers, on the other hand. There’s a reason we had don’t ask don’t tell. Fucking 30% of navy men were homos.

>I defy you to list a single exception.
Me. Everyone is always surprised when I tell them.

You seem pretty good at picking gays out of a crowd user

People would have cried and complained anyway because it'd be forced and not relevant to discuss his sexuality

No, everyone was too polite to say “oh, yeah, it was obvious when I got in your car and you turned on evanescence.”

It's pretty easy to spot when a character is made into a fag for the sake of having him be the token fag char and get woke points vs having it be a part of the character.

McCree is the only good character left in that game. Please no

Is it blatantly for "political" (social points) reasons? Is it clearly a decision made by the creators/publishers/marketers rather than an element of the character? Is it a fucking organic part of the scenario or something they contrived in a mention for just so they could draw attention to it?

MERELY A COINCIDENCE GOYIM

Eat lead, corporate shill

If you know someone for years how do you not pick up on their sexual preferences

>What makes a homosexual character "forced".
literally who cares

>Your brain is literally wired wrong.
you can't be a fag and say things like this and not expect to get the obvious retort thrown in your face

It's forced because no other characters where announced their sexuality. Their sexuality only gets announced when the developer wants to say they're gay.