Build engine shooters (duke3d specifically) got their own spiritual successor

>build engine shooters (duke3d specifically) got their own spiritual successor
>heretic got their own successor
>quake got their spiritual successor
Why is nobody making a hexen successor? Are devs and gaymers such fucking brainlets they can't handle this?

Attached: Hexenbox.jpg (288x335, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33766
store.steampowered.com/app/1000410/WRATH_Aeon_of_Ruin/
youtube.com/watch?v=M8EqrIWUlN8
youtube.com/watch?v=112WeuCnyQs
youtube.com/watch?v=Fq7C2E1yA7s
youtube.com/watch?v=xXLPJH-JOLc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: Screenshot_Hexen_20190312_230426.png (1920x1080, 1.67M)

Because you can't improve on perfection.

Attached: 1464018244305.png (264x263, 43K)

Even back in the day, Hexen was...controversial.
Hexen level design revolves around sporadic monster encounters, big labyrinths, and a shit ton of backtracking.
It's different from what people think when they think doom, they imagine mayhem, action at every turn, Hexen instead fully embraces the keycard hunt, something that most people DON'T like about doom, at all.

But it's not like Hexen is just trying to be contrarian, it has a really nice aestetic to it, playing as different classes is fun, the weapons you get feel satisfying to use, and it has a strong feeling of progression, more than any doom game.
I guess the problem with Hexen is that people see the visuals and this it's doom: fantasy edition, but actually that's Heretic.
Hexen is a very niche game disguised as something accessible for everyone.
But it really isn't.
That's probably the reason why this IP hasn't really been touched in years.

Btw anyone going back playing it, i highly recommend HeXercise.

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33766

It really gives a kick to it's gameplay in general, really satisfying weapon changes and feedback for the combat.

Attached: 25.jpg (765x450, 169K)

My issue with HeXercise is that it makes every weapon overpowered as fuck. Why bother using the Serpent Staff's life leech on Ettin and Firestorm on Chaos Serpents when you can just beat down everything effortlessly with the Mace of all things?

>making a huge fucking post explaining hexen in a hexen thread
what strain of autism is this

The most dangerous of them all: i'm using Yea Forums to discuss video games and hoping to get more people on Yea Forums to play this game if they've never played it before.

I know, i'm probably going to get arrested by the shitpost police soon.

>Heretic 3 never ever
>Hexen 3 never ever
>Hecatomb never ever

Attached: 1382321919627.png (489x600, 600K)

Has anyone here even played Heretic 2?
That game is just fucking weird.

Attached: Heretic_II_Screenshot.jpg (1600x1200, 167K)

Yes, it was amazing. Huge departure from the first, sure, but it feels like a proto-Jedi Knight and there's nothing wrong with that.

never played it because it looked like shite
hexen 2 however is probably even better than hexen beyond heretic

Hexen 2 is worse in every way to 1.

not really
hexen 1 is one of my childhood games and i didnt play hexen 2 until a few years ago, coupled with the fact that i fucking hate early 3d graphics. and hexen 2 still manages to be at least as good as 1

What about Amid Evil

Attached: S25Js28nX55W2wr7nxNtSL.jpg (2560x1440, 549K)

Amid Evil is nothing like Hexen. It's a fantastic game don't get me wrong but it's not like Hexen. Amid Evil is basically Heretic with a Quake style episode select hub.

Amid evil would the the heretic successor minus inventory

Still the best.

Attached: 1439840891637.webm (1280x720, 2.02M)

Attached: 1525740791367.png (997x665, 314K)

Attached: 1527951165111.png (513x536, 72K)

Why do people not like HeXen 2? I thought the level design was better.

That's because it is better. It also has better (more abstract) puzzles the game is known for, good luck getting through them without using a guide.

I like it but I felt it did everything worse.

>good luck getting through them without using a guide.
I actually did. Except for the egypt levels. Fuck that time puzzle.

Wrath has abilities and some metroidvania elements, according to the main dev you can find multiple keys to unlock and play levels in whichever order you want
I don't think people these days have the attention span for puzzles or key/switch hunting

Attached: wrath.webm (854x480, 2.72M)

>I guess the problem with Hexen is that people see the visuals and this it's doom: fantasy edition, but actually that's Heretic.
Yeah, but Heretic is literally just a Doom reskin. Fantasy Doom is a great idea, but it should be its own game instead of Doom in disguise. To me, that makes Hexen all the more disappointing. It has unique weapons, enemies, and so forth, but it changes the gameplay too much.

wrath is such a generic name, link to this game?
t. brainlet

store.steampowered.com/app/1000410/WRATH_Aeon_of_Ruin/

Full name is Wrath: Aeon of Ruin.
I'm meh hyped about it.
Not completely sure if i'll like it or not.

Absolute madman.

Hexen was so fucking good, goddamn

Attached: 1534008802442.jpg (1000x640, 251K)

There's two things about Hexen 2 I like more than 1:

>actual puzzles, not just switch/key hunting
>minor RPG elements like leveling up and acquiring unique skills for each class

Attached: 1382422693171.gif (340x114, 18K)

that looks interesting enough. kinda looks like an inferior version of dusk though

>inferior version of dusk
How so?

What felt worse about it?

just looks like a slower version of dusk with less enemies and bigger maps. which in theory im not opposed to but personally dusk is probably my favourite 3d shooter ever, better than quake or what have you

favourite 3d shooter after hexen 2 i should say

Do you remember user?

Do you remember the first time you knocked the fuck out of an ettin with the fighters meaty right hook?

Why aren't you lurking /fit/?

>real world setting as opposed to gritty dark fantasy
>movement was very slippery by comparison
>many weapons felt like cheap imitations of 1's weapons (for example, Paladin's first three weapons are almost 1for1 with the Fighter's but weaker and less impactful feeling)
>bestirary is pretty boring (imps, golems, spiders, compared to ettin, chaos serpents, reivers, etc)
>music sucked plain and simple, only good tracks were remixed versions of Heretic and Hexen songs

Dusk was alright, it was just imitating quake in unity though, wrath uses a fork of the original quake engine so it feels just like it should
ah you're an idiot then

What are the best Hexen mapsets?

>Cleric > Mage > Fighter
>Demoness > Necromancer > Cleric > Paladin > Assassin

Can we all agree?

I don't think there are any Hexen mapsets.

>Cleric
Crusader

Attached: 1372654820352.jpg (480x360, 14K)

Honestly aside from the intro level and the last level its hard to pick a favourite. If I had to pick one I'd choose hub 2 the shadow woods

I think he meant user content.

>If I had to pick one I'd choose hub 2 the shadow woods
Good taste.

Are there even user-made maps for hexen?

I still have the strategy guide to Hexen somewhere. I don't remember much about the sequel, other than there was an Egypt type level, and how you could get an item that turned enemies into pigs.

I remember playing some many years ago but they were all garbage single level experiences that weren't balanced for each class.

What I mean is the entire point of Hexen are the "puzzles" (I guess switch-hunt in hexen 1) and if you were to make hexen maps without that then it's pointless

I liked how each game had their own item to turn enemies into animals. Heretic had the Morph Ovum (chicken), Hexen had the Porkalator (pig), and Hexen 2 had the Seal of the Ovinomancer (sheep).

Not enough mainstream appeal, you cant make millions by making a shitty shooter and slapping Hexen on the box.

My point exactly. I think that's why there isn't much Hexen content, because it requires a fuck load more effort to put out something good. You essentially have to create a hub, 3-4 unique but interconnected levels, and then balance it all for 3 classes that all have different strengths and weaknesses.

i had hexen on the n64 as a kid, never got past the guardian of steel because i didn't recognize those pillar things as doors. the redemption came about two years ago when me and my younger brother decided to co-op the game again, got drunk and completed the whole thing in one sitting. good times
keep it real boys

you cant make millions making quake-clones either though. whats the most popular old school shooter, dusk? that game isnt popular at all in the grand scheme of things

I don't think so. Hexen has fun weapons. Hexen without keyhunting would be great.

If you want hexen without puzzles just play heretic.

This.

Heretic isn't Hexen without puzzles, it's a Doom reskin.

That's Hexen without puzzles.

Which is why I need hexen 3 or at least a spiritual successor. Somebody must want to recreate an old school fps with infuriating puzzles
Not really. Heretic in my mind is much closer to being a fantasy build-engine game thanks to its inventory system and many more weapons

No it isn't. It doesn't even really have any new weapons. Take a look at Heretic's weapons sometime. They're literally just the Doom weapons with different sprites, with the only difference being that the shotgun is no longer hitscan.

>many more weapons
Heretic has the same number of weapons as Doom 1.

Didn't heretic have 9 weapons?

Thanks m8, going to install the game and check out that link you posted.

Really wanted to like this game but never could get into it. I’ve still got it tucked away somewhere along with Heretic.

youtube.com/watch?v=M8EqrIWUlN8
youtube.com/watch?v=112WeuCnyQs
youtube.com/watch?v=Fq7C2E1yA7s

Attached: 1340153133143.gif (245x187, 1.93M)

heretic and hexen are drastically different games because of the world/level/idk what you would call it-design, hexen is actually really unique in how the progression works

>Staff
>Gauntlets of the Necromancer
>Elven Wand
>Ethereal Crossbow
>Dragon Claw
>Hellstaff
>Phoenix Rod
>Firemace

Hexen 1 is fun entirely because it's Doom but with a focus on melee
Hexen 2 straight up feels like a different game. And worse game at that.

Hexen absolutely is not "Doom but with a focus on melee."

Shadow woods is a fucking kino hub

Staff (Fists)
Gauntlets of the Necromancer (Chainsaw)
Elven Wand (Pistol)
Ethereal Crossbow (Shotgun)
Dragon Claw (Chaingun)
Hellstaff (Plasma gun)
Phoenix Rod (Rocket launcher)
Firemace (Not BFG)

I wonder what the thought process was behind the Firemace.

BALLS OF STEEL

Attached: 1440212000600.gif (899x654, 45K)

Definitely check out Heretic.

Attached: Pissed Elf Man.png (1280x960, 30K)

Attached: prank.png (1313x845, 1.61M)

>Hexen 1
>Doom but with a focus on melee
lol what
i guess if you play the warrior class but thats just one of 3

Attached: 1547501736582.jpg (600x699, 36K)

I guess I was wrong, to be honest I never fully finished heretic as I liked both doom and hexen much more

>4 years + 1 day ago

Attached: 74654132131658.jpg (600x361, 22K)

Ohhh, pig was the first one. Been too long since I played.

Seriously though, would nu-ID or Activision even make a good Hexen 3?

jesus christ this fucking thing had me fucking hype im still mad

The only cool elf.

don't know
i want a D44M but Hexen...and like Hexen, but no switch hunts or D44M going straight shit.

>but no switch hunts
Then you don't want Hexen.

The cleric's serpent staff also doubled as a life-draining chainsaw.

I'm not sure if you've ever played doom, or hexen 1, or hexen 2. Hexen 1 and 2 are fundamentally the same same type of game except one is 2.5D and one is 3D. They have fucking nothing in common with Doom beyond being singleplayer FPS and hexen 1 being 2.5D.

>but no switch hunts
that's not hexen you pleb

>I want hexen without the feature that made hexen unique
What did he mean by this

What about Hexen 2?

Hexen 2 isn't switch-hunting, it's straight-up puzzles mixed in with occasional switch-hunting

Maybe that's what user meant which I would have to agree. I prefer H2 approach to puzzles better than H1.

hexen had hubs
that was unique at the damn time

i think what everyone hated was that A SWITCH OPENED SOMETHING was the problem. and then you looked for something new that opened in ANOTHER LEVEL.

>played Hexen deathmatch
>player characters have significantly less health than monsters
>tfw gibbing players with the punch

Attached: 1457879340112.png (557x605, 227K)

Yeah I prefer them too. Even if I could never fucking beat hexen 2 without a guide even when replaying

It's still unique though. What other game, never mind an FPS, has done hub-levels like hexen did?

>A SWITCH OPENED SOMETHING
without this, or puzzles in general, the hub design wouldnt work. you have to have one to have the other

The hub system and switch/key hunting were intertwined. If you remove one then the other falls apart. Also the game told you the general location of what a switch did, saying something along the lines of 'A door as opened on the Guardian of Ice.' Seeing as there's only a few doors in the level, which itself is rather small, it shouldn't take you too long to find the newly-opened path.

i guess heretic/hexen threads will never be popular on Yea Forums. which is weird because all quake/doom/duke3d threads reach bump limit

game like this wouldnt sell

no retarded normie would be able to push the map and memorize anything to be able to solve any puzzle

*RING RING*

Attached: 1388205158487.jpg (319x460, 22K)

>God Tier
Shadow Wood
Blight
Heresiarch's Seminary

>Great Tier
Constable's Gate
Castle of Grief
Nave

>Good Tier
Seven Portals
Necropolis

Attached: Hexen Enemies.jpg (1069x604, 197K)

bitch imma knock u the fuck out

Attached: baratus.png (740x617, 337K)

hmm
hmm
hmm

It's okay, the Fighter has the best gib death animation.

Fuck that shit, where's my Strife successor
We'll never see that open world classic fps hybrid ever again

Literally never. At least Hexen has a slight chance.

Attached: 1.png (640x400, 79K)

R U READ 2 DIE

Oh shit, here he comes.

Attached: 1550385601493.png (2319x1467, 2.43M)

GREETINGS MORTAL

ARE YOU READY TO DIE?

If only the Hellstaff was half as good as the plasma gun

youtube.com/watch?v=xXLPJH-JOLc

Attached: Korax.jpg (1017x786, 103K)

dat Dragonclaw though

Attached: ARE YOU READY TO FRY..png (440x473, 71K)

Greetings, mortal. Are you ready to buy?

Attached: 32325.png (615x585, 273K)

There are no Douk threads, only ventrillo harassment threads.

GREETINGS MORTAL

Attached: DyWhvRqWwAAlEWZ.jpg (800x600, 93K)

Attached: 1525412254188.png (935x733, 469K)

I remember trying to play this shit when I was 9 and I had such a hard time actually getting through the levels. It was fun as fuck tho.

FUCK HEXEN 2 GIANT SPIDERS
LEAP FROM 255 MILES AWAY TO EAT YOUR FACE
WHAT THE GODDAMN FUCK

Fuck em for being a shitty, generic enemy.

For me it was those fucking wizards who teleport spam everywhere and then turn into spiders when they finally die.