How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong

kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

>"Many say they or their co-workers had to take 'stress leave' "

>“Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”

> "A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.”"

Attached: evil laugh.jpg (480x360, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/
pastebin.com/gm7w669y
archive.is/sNQQM
youtube.com/watch?v=rXKqns1FGBE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>linking to kotaku

And these people want to unionize.

Imagine unironically linking to Kotaku in CURRENT YEAR

oh boo hoo stress and anxiety

fucking kids these days

>A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.

fuck lol, it's like they think it's a war, big fucking babies

Attached: 1493304039600.gif (360x270, 1.63M)

all those diversity hires took their toll in the end.

Didn't they recently get a majority female workforce?

Well yeah. Wouldn't you want to unionize if you had a 16 hour workday and weekend unpaid overtime?

>One mandate from Anthem’s directors had been to make the game “unmemeable,” a reaction to Mass Effect: Andromeda‘s jittery facial animations, which became an internet joke in the days leading up to that game’s release.

Attached: he he.jpg (800x450, 119K)

Yes, but this is covered in the article by saying many of the ones leaving now worked there for over 10 years. That’s PC code for “they are losing the good ones, not the diversity hires”.

It's not stress, it's total indifference and lack of engagement with their work. The same article goes to great lengths to talk about how the team and project had essentially no central leadership or strong management causing the game to have no direction and all the work being done was effectively pointless. The employees obviously felt this and therefore an attitude of "why bother coming to work?" manifested and spread. People need direction with their work, without that they can't have drive and passion to actually complete it. If they don't feel like what they are contributing even matters to the project or that the things they keep working on get removed with every change in direction, then of course they are going to tune out, skip days, or half ass it. All of Anthem's problems stem from not having strong leadership to steer efforts and keep people engaged in their work.

>>linking to kotaku

Maybe hiring a abundance of women and trannies while exiling all the white men wasn't a good idea?

sneed

>Already damage controlling

Attached: 1524200552209.jpg (1280x720, 578K)

it’s the gift that keeps on giving

>"DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY SON"

Don't worry we will laugh at your company instead.

What does that even mean? Make no one have faces?

>Some come back, some don't.
Chuckled at this bit

>direkt linking to kotaku

Kill yourself

>"A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.”"
hahahahahaha

Because they have to do the work and burn out. This also guarantees that bioware is dead. Even if EA doesn't shut them down imagine them making another game with even less of the talented people they had for anthem

Here's the pastebin because OP is too retarded to do it. pastebin.com/gm7w669y
It's actually a really good article on how Bioware and EA are both ultimate shit right now, I recommend it.

Attached: 1550855484993.png (259x294, 12K)

>wagies complaining
tsk tsk wagie, don't worry
the invisible hand of the market will help you :^)

Attached: wagie thought.png (625x441, 96K)

>Some come back, some don’t
Some reached the end of their rine.

Attached: 1492064151139.jpg (338x343, 68K)

Oh boy this is just pathetic. It really feels like the end for bioware

lmfao

>"A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.”"
They let people come back after they leave for a month? What kind of company is that?

One of the things I'm taking away from this article is that Frostbite sucks yet EA still forces people to use it for things the engine clearly wasn't meant for

Attached: 1553782555138.png (258x253, 72K)

sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's

even the street shitter cant defend it

Attached: KEK.jpg (664x781, 145K)

This reminds me of the type of stuff my boss tries to dictate to us at work.

Fortunately, the place I work is in such dire need of competent workers that nobody takes her stupid ideas very seriously.

>SEETHING

Attached: 0e9.jpg (499x499, 26K)

how can somebody say nothing with so many words?
that entire post was basically
>we tried really hard guys
>people have criticized our game
>we tried really hard guys

Bioware died in 2007.

>blaming the tools

>Well yeah. Wouldn't you want to unionize if you had a 16 hour workday and weekend unpaid overtime?
No, I'd want a new job.
So I'd get one.
Why are people so fucking spineless?

Attached: 1554049408637.jpg (436x536, 51K)

Not that I want to defend the poohandman, but frostbite is a shitty engine to work with

>"Fuck white people and their complicated grahics-engines!"

because they can't say anything. they just know they have to say something so execs don't get pissy

>Jason Schrier

Attached: 1554225519405.jpg (1217x1089, 500K)

They did say "doctor-mandated". Presumably, their physician gave them a note that said "this person is going to die of a heart attack, stop making them work 120 hour weeks you fucks".

I remember people on Yea Forums, long time before this game was out also saying how shit frostbite was and that the devs disliked it and that it just caused problems. Seems like those "leaks" were true.

Unionizing a shit job makes the job not shit anymore.
Spineless is running away from problems instead of fixing them.

Spend massive amounts on performance capture. Then that backfires because you can't alter anything and you end up with lines that are totally out of context.

If a wrench does jack shit are you gonna blame yourself or the wrench?

If a tool is shit, your work will be shit and Frostbite is a golden plate shit tool
See how Apex no one heard of problems of optimizations other than a few crashes? It's because the tool (and the people behind) aren't actually shit.
DICE made and using the Frostbite engine and their games are still a marvel of incredibly shit perfomance, if even the makers of the engine can't fully graps it other than just look it prettier than others.

Damage control mode: activated.

Is it really shitty or is it because they're just a bunch of shitters that need their hands held the whole way through and just copy unreal engine/unity tutorials?

>a seized bolt is somehow the wrench's fault

I can tell you've never worked a day in your life.

>,you know,
Why do people type like this?

I guess it worked, given how bland and forgettable Anthem is

t. someone who has never worked in a severely mismanaged tech corporation. You have no idea, user.

>get a job at a company
>actually expected to do work
>OH NONONONO I'M SO STRESSED I NEED A STRESS LEAVE NO ONE TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO WORK WTF I'M A WOMAN NOT A MACHINE

>food analogy

I dont work i. the vidya industry but this describes the situation at my job perfectly.

The edge is strong with this one.

>One mandate from Anthem's directors had been to make the game "unmemeable" a reaction to Mass Effect: Andromeda's jittery facial animations which became an internet joke in the days leading up to that game's release

I want so badly for EA to just kill BioWare instead of puppeteering them like they have done for years.

Stop being lazy fuckers.

GTFO

archive.is/sNQQM

Attached: kermit_hueg_shet.jpg (496x495, 82K)

>When a BioWare engineer had questions or wanted to report bugs, they’d usually have to talk to EA’s central Frostbite team, a group of support staff that worked with all of the publisher’s studios. Within EA, it was common for studios to battle for resources like the Frostbite team’s time, and BioWare would usually lose those battles. After all, role-playing games brought in a fraction of the revenue of a FIFA or a Battlefront. “The amount of support you’d get at EA on Frostbite is based on how much money your studio’s game is going to make,” said one developer.
Why not just let developers use whatever engine they want at that point?

>rather than fixing things I would wash my hands of it
>why are you so spineless?
Man, that's some top tier corporate bootlicking right there.

The reddit is strong with this one

Brutal and based. Schrier and other game journalists wont be happy until every game is a piece of left wing propaganda.

>people who never worked a day in their entire life complaining that the workers are getting overworked
women are useless but c'mon, not even men can stand working these hours that the industry demands while not even getting paid

Jewery of EA. You have to pay to use other engines or worse, royalties for using them. Since Frostbite is inhouse it's free.

Well, Andromeda led to a branch office being shut down, and with the EA layoffs, it's quite possible they'll shutter the studio proper if they don't pull out a game-changer. And given the direction things have taken over the BioWare's most recent releases, the odds of that happening seem unfavorable.

Because John Businessman probably thinks that every game you own running on the same engine makes things easier. They'll some bullshit about it being streamlined and centralized and that it's better that way.

Also this.

It happens in many corporations. It's hard to describe how soul-crushing it is to work 60+ hour work weeks while knowing that all your effort is for nothing because the management has no fucking idea what they're doing.

EA owns the engine, therefore, it is the engine for all EA games. Other engines might be better, but EA owns this one, so it's the one to be used.

HOMOWARE SHUTDOWN WHEN?

IT WILL BE GLORIOUS TO PISS ON THEIR GRAVE

overwork isnt so bad. its just overworking for dickheads that makes people quit.

Those afflicted with the edge tend to off themselves before they find happiness.

Attached: Noice.jpg (249x229, 5K)

holy shit imagine working with EA

Jobs are a mistake. I wish I just stay NEET forever, every single job I ever had was nothing but drama and if your boss is retarded you might as well kill yourself (or the boss). I usually switch jobs every few months.

That explains a lot. The game isn't even really memorable enough to make fun of like Andromeda was.

Attached: 1504738987114.jpg (335x568, 48K)

this

meanwhile i will grow old and happy and post cringy vids of my son and daughter doing fortnite dances on r/Fortnite

or whatever the parents are doing then

>linking directly to shitaku
End you are pathetic existence.

pretty sure youre not such a gem yourself may-tee

You're not forced to work those 60 hours and they can't fire you for refusing to do unpaid work.

because low wages and being treated like dogshit are the industry standard you bootlicking retard. have fun hopping to your next job that has you doing exactly the same

How long until BioWare gets axed by EA? What do they even have going for them at this point?

>retarded attention seeking tripfag just told someone they're pathetic

I am just autistic but I do the work they want me to do. I just hate talking but most jobs are riddled with people who feel triggered if you don't join them during breaks or talk with them and interpret it at hostility. I just want to fucking work and work in peace, is that too much to ask?
I have people I like to talk with that what friends are. Job is job and the coworkers are mostly the worst kinds of casuals or always-pissy 40yo office women.

If the rest of the game was good this wouldn't have been an issue. Memes are free viral marketing in many cases

Now the irony is how the shittiness of Anthem has become a meme in itself

Get cancer, corporate tool.

>office job
Found your problem.

are you at least funny? ??

At this point, precious little. EA's laying off workers, and though we haven't seen the numbers for Anthem's digital sales, the fact that they're being so tight-lipped about them means they probably took a hard loss on the game they hoped to hang around for years, and uncomfortably soon after Andromeda's trilogy got canceled. Question is, does EA wait for the third strike?

Yeah I know, but what should I do I had no idea what kinds of jobs were made for me when I was 16 so I was put into an apprenticeship for that shit and I don't want to waste another three years for another apprenticeship. And people will never take you without that and 100 years of "work experience".

Congratulations, I am happy for you. Hopefully, getting rid of the "HATRED tm" will lead you on that path.

Attached: comfy Nameless King.jpg (1945x1485, 219K)

not the autistic user but what do you recommend?

>People get triggered if I completely ignore them every single day and pretend they don't exist
Shocking

>Unionizing a shit job makes the job not shit anymore.
It makes the job more shit, but now it treats the employees like pretty princesses while grinding productivity into the floor.

Attached: 1490630958121.png (660x1242, 933K)

>be good at fixing things with wrenches
>your boss forces you to use a rusty wrench with nails embedded in the handle instead of just giving you an actual wrench
>this is somehow your fault

Noncreatives should be shot and killed. You and your opinions are worthless.

they would've been on sick leave. dunno how it works in usa/canada but in nz "stress" is a valid reason to give a patient a medical certificate saying they're unable to attend work.

obviously this has good and bad issues but you have to sort of wonder how someone that's taken a month off for stress leave is ever going to get back to work in a successful manner, unless whatever was stressing them has entirely disappeared (which it rarely has)

And i bet it was because Bioshit ruined their vision by making them include stupid sjw shit, microtransactions and the like.

You got to inherit a trade from your father. Electrician, mechanic, etc..

Otherwise you're stuck in corporate hell like everyone else.

wasn't this the guy who worked on andromeda with the "white tears" cup pics?

Attached: notbased.jpg (692x764, 121K)

>And people will never take you without that and 100 years of "work experience".
Labor jobs are so desperate for entry-level no experience bums that they're importing whole families from Africa.

What you're describing is late-stage unionship, where decades of tenure and infighting have turned the job back into shit. The American automotive industry is a prime example.
Unions fix shit jobs but need to be dismantled once the fix is done.

this

i just help my dad, i watch him cuss out mexicans. then we go out to eat. its comfy.

I don't ignore them in the sense of not talking back when they talk to me but I refuse to waste my free time on their kaffeeklatsch when I could rather keep on working to get shit done earlier and go home earlier. These people understand each other, they talk about the same shit, have the same hobbies and the like. I am like some alien and I won't waste my energy with pretending to care about some celebrities and other shit I have never heard about in order to talk with people I don't care about and go home later, having less time for my actual hobbies.

BioWare shoulda had romances

How does management fuck up so much that one of their main concerns is "how do we avoid being memed"?

I was at a plant that had a union. Got laid off as did the entire plant when it shutdown. The union was a good chunk of why that happened.

Not sure why people are suddenly putting faith in unions. They can be good in theory. In practice it's often a joke and counter productive.

Anyway, writing is on the wall for bioware.

Attached: 1551991201292.jpg (570x407, 57K)

based bioware

this is literally the same what happend with Mass Effect Andromeda. The same fucking pattern and this is all Bioware fault not even EA

That's not even a good metaphor, engines are not tools they're platforms. Using the wrong game engine is like trying to turn a utility van into a sports car.

Yeah that's the problem. Almost all people who are content with their job say this shit. Problem is that my father was just a janitor of a school house that doesn't exist anymore and he's dead anyway and my mother was just a cleaner who helped him.

>“I actually cannot count the amount of ‘stress casualties’ we had on Mass Effect: Andromeda or Anthem,” said a third former BioWare developer in an email. “A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.”

Attached: 1490110097318.jpg (300x600, 10K)

Thanks for the archive, friend.

Attached: 1550087784272.gif (514x510, 94K)

they could have had real talent that took care of the issues at hand

but seeing what the game became its clear any such people they might have had just left. naturally this means there are huge cunts at ea and bioware. big enough cunts to get talented people to quit. hardworking people to just leave. because why save the sinking ship if you want to cut your captains balls off in rage.

let it all burn.

You sound like a corporate dick sucking NEET

Attached: image.jpg (1024x768, 121K)

I just want to fuck aliens, bros..

reminder that these fags who use terms like "bootlicking" and "exploitation" in reference to voluntary private relationships want to use the long arm of the state to crack down on anyone who doesn't do things exactly how they want.

>people still remember the hilarity of andromeda's wonk
>anthem was already forgotten until this article
Should've gone for the meme potential.

Hopefully we get a few more years of Anthems so we can finally, FINALLY get some enforced industry standards. Stuff that doesn't allow scumbags like EA to operate. They're taking advantage of an unregulated industry and it's sickening.

How does a NEET suck corporate dick?

>t. Works OT for free
Tranny or Jannie?

How would you even regulate that shit?

>A lot of the really talented engineers were actually working on FIFA when they should’ve been working on Anthem
Sportschads dabbing on the role playing nerds once again.

Tell me that's a joke poster

Are you new here?

>because why save the sinking ship if you want to cut your captains balls off in rage.
fucking kek

>One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry.

No romances in Anthem. Protagonist Freelancer is a beta male virgin.

Thank you for actually making an effort.

Attached: rimanah.png (800x387, 202K)

>mfw love my job
>mfw hate the people I work with
Imagine having to work with people who complain about getting payed 40 dollars an hour to push a button once or twice in an 8 hour period.

It's a bit out of context - they specifically meant that they didn't want any part of the game to attract the same kind of persistent, widespread scorn that the rush job on their animation did.

open any thread on Yea Forums and you'll find several examples

>they made it as neutered and forgettable as possible so that people wouldn't make fun of them
THE ABSOLUTE STATE

Attached: [Laughing Chinese whores].jpg (252x262, 23K)

Attached: 1544400817800.jpg (500x500, 42K)

Well they tried to do something "new".
I guess they should do the exact opposite of new the next time, maybe remake the mass effects or something. Yes, even 1 please, and no not just because of the graphics.

A corporate dicksuck is an office drone or a paid shill
Paid shilling is employment
NEETs are, by definition, umemployed.

>being faceless

Attached: 1551853097196.gif (494x640, 1.05M)

>Stop allowing microtransactions, monetization and shareholder appeasement bullshit to damage the image of your game
>Stop hiring teams that don't know how to make this type of game to make that type of game
>Stop ignoring developer input and saying "it will all work out" or literally banking on something magical to happen
>Stop brushing off the input coming from your QA departments
>Stop unfathomably brutal crunch hours just to meet a deadline

To name a few. The western AAA industry is fucking sickening, there's a good reason you get maybe one good western AAA release every few years nowadays.

Attached: 1519706097340.jpg (552x476, 18K)

>paid shill
They do it for free

imagine spending four plus years of your life to work in the game industry, only to realize its' a wagie hellscape

Attached: wageyvsneet.png (1280x809, 210K)

>mfw work 12hours a day for 5$

That's not regulation. That's just a wishlist.

>loving your job of pushing a button once or twice in an 8 hour period
Explain yourself fool

Only thing they should do is not have pathetic beta male virgin protagonist like cuck Freelancer.

The first and the last one could be regulated somehow, but how the fuck can the government regulate the rest? Even as a statist, this sounds retarded.

It's been over 45 minutes so heres a pity (you)

North Korea?

>Kotaku

OP sucks dicks for a living

Attached: 1484945919856.jpg (474x366, 53K)

I'm not going to pretend I know the answers to these problems, I'm not insane enough to try and work in the industry myself. But saying there is no problems is wrong.

>t. somebody who is afraid to tell his boss no
Grow some ball user

Then they're not a dicksuck.
Dicksucking implies compensation of some sort, like ur mum's $5 blowies.
A small town selling all of their local watershed to Nestlé for a few jobs is a dicksuck.

That too but there was so much other things wrong with these games and Shepard was shilled too much as some messiah shit which is also retarded, the plot was inconstistent and whatnot. I also wish they would cut a few retarded characters or at least replace them with relevant ones. Shit had too many crew members in the later games and most weren't even likeable and looked like shit.

The article makes it seem like everyone at Bioware other than Mark Darrah is a bumbling fool. I believe it

Unions are mostly boomer protection/nepotism rackets in practice. They really only work when labor can't be outsourced, which is unfortunate because America's high standard of living was almost a direct result of widespread unionization. Unions really don't have a foot to stand on anymore.

>soul-crushing it is to work 60+ hour work weeks
lmao then tell them to fuck off.
The 4 sweet little word "not my pay grade" changed my worklife forever.

>A Game Dev studio consisting of a bunch of mentally unstable SJWs had constant walkouts and unnecessarily long break time.

Bet the 7 dollars in my wallet the Anita visit only fueled more leaves.

Attached: 1513722695869.jpg (378x447, 55K)

>stress
>depression
>anxiety
How long before big publishers replace entire dev studios with slants who dont complain?

>all the clear /pol incels shitting the thread
You know what? mock our hardship all you want, us women and minorities (queer and intersex included) are still working on large companies, and more of us get in power EVERY DAY
gaming is no longer a incel breeding ground, you got that right sweeties?

Attached: Screenshot_20180726-085502.jpg (801x1229, 531K)

A different article just mentioned how the Dragon Age 4 teaser was deliberate, so that EA can't shut BioWare down after Anthem. Holy fuck, BioWare is a burning desaster.

what would anita cause on a bunch of women?

Still better than any Jap shit you faggots like

If you weren't underaged, you'd remember that EA's permenant crunchmode has been a problem for developers long before SJWs even existed.

>get forced to make a vidya gaem with a giant anti-fandom at 1 dollar an hour 120 hours a week
>people think the game devs are in the wrong here

I've had my employees say most of that stuff to me except for the pay stuff no one is retarded enough to ask for less money
It's not hard you just need to be a good manager

Surely EA could have reasoned out that maybe the time lost, and as a result money, by Bioware trying to fuck around with Frostbite would cost more than just letting Bioware using Unreal

>Gaming 2: The Downfall by Matriarchy

The cancer thatvis killing everything right now is the feminism balance going way to far into its balancing job.

>in 2016, the FIFA games had to move to Frostbite. The annual soccer franchise was EA’s most important series, bringing in a large chunk of the publisher’s revenue, and BioWare had programmers with Frostbite experience, so Electronic Arts shifted them to FIFA.

Holy fucking shit, the absolute STATE of Bioware

Attached: laughing anime.gif (500x281, 265K)

Why is your bait so shit?

You make a very valid point, but FREE ENGINE.

I'd be stressed too if I was a dev owned by EA being forced to work on a game type I know nothing about and have no experience with.
I'm not retarded and would know my head is on the chopping block.

Thanks for the the spineless quitter angle.
Also finding the right job may well involve relocating, which can be a massive disruption especially if you've got a family and have put down roots.

>western "games":
>want to be un-memeable
>get meme'd, fail misserably, laughing stock of the world

>japanse games: youtube.com/watch?v=rXKqns1FGBE
>beloved by everyone
>sell bazillion copies
>be the soul of the party

based japan

Attached: 1537413741975.png (538x690, 64K)

I see your point

archive.is doesn't load for me.

It's been fucking them for years, honestly a small group of them should just go rogue and make a short game they actually want to make on a decent engine, release it for free to show that they're not all incompetent.

I mean, EA will probably can them, but Bioware's going to shut down any day now and this shit they're being forced through can't be good for the team's portfolio. At least they may as well go out doing something they loved.

Holy shit that jew got btfo

The Passive Aggressive approach to the reception to both Battlefield V and Anthem is clear enough there was some anger behind them and now we know there were constant stress leaves for Andromeda and Anthem in particular, why is it only now being brought to light if it's not indicative of the kind of employees they have there now?

Don't create excuses for people who can't even come up with a good one themselves.

The real problem is upper management, competent leaders make sure that there is time set out for shit so that you aren't scrambling to cobble together shit in a race against time that is just a battle against inevitability. It also probably helps if you actually support, enjoy, and want to finish the project you are working on like guys at rockstar who will willingly throw in ot towards the end cycle of something like red dead because they know that they are making something good, compared to guys under the ownership of EA who are slaving over a shitheap and having to do retarded bureaucratic shit to complete even basic in engine tasks

I hope we get a few suicides out of this

Why are you so afraid of women and transfolk?

sneed

Maybe EA is just a shitty company focused far too much on quarterly profits rather than any sort of sustainable business model?

>work for EA
>complain about getting fucked
DSP-tier WOOOOW DUDE HOW COULD I KNOW

>why is it only now being brought to light if it's not indicative of the kind of employees they have there now?
Because you're underage and these longstanding issues are so new to you that you thin they are only just now coming to light.

I believe no counter argument can be made to such a fine point.

Attached: 1549432130813.jpg (387x370, 37K)

>unmemeable
No such thing.

Attached: yee.jpg (208x242, 4K)

You can't do that unless you sign an agreement to have that or you are stupid and took salary in that industry. Maybe in like backwards states, but you can't in California, where a lot of these places are.

So DA4 is as good as dead right?

>America's high standard of living was almost a direct result of widespread unionization
My, is this the blue-pilled post in the entire thread? At once, you accurately paint them as mere handles for parasites to pull on to get free gibs, then you finish with the myth that they gave us the weekend and the only problem is they have too little power.

dont be as lazy as faggot OP and post the link straight into archive

Did they specifically hire people who have been to psych wards at least once in their life?

Is this darkest dungeon or something

yikes

@457048241
The worst bait I've ever seen. You must be a r/gaming refugee

>photography
>art

Gaming is no longer a breeding ground at all because it's fucking dying.

but user, they do think they are in a war. they think that they are in a war fighting nazis!

I'd kill everyone in my office and you before saying anything on that poster.

you always run (((social engineering operations))) on capital deficit. its np for them and bioware is going nowehre buddy.

Attached: 1535391857289.jpg (956x711, 166K)

If only people knew. I have legit developed a permanent eye twitch trying to deal with everything that comes from a badly handled app platform transition.

So turns out Yea Forums was right all along

>incels
>breeding

what did soisoi mean by this?

>trying to turn a utility van into a sports car.
Oh god don't say it, someone's going to fucking do it.
Someone's already doing it.
God damn it you've doomed us all.

Literally me

The amount of NEETS and people who don't care about their jobs in this thread is just baffling. When you put your whole heart and strength into a project while simultaniously knowing that there are 3-4 people just waiting to get your position (as is common in game companies) the stress levels and overworking can go through the fucking roof. Have some empathy for people who are just trying to live out their dream job.

>Electronic Arts executive Patrick Söderlund, to whom BioWare’s leadership reported, played the Anthem Christmas demo. According to three people familiar with what happened, he told BioWare that it was unacceptable. (Söderlund did not respond to a request for comment.) He was particularly disappointed by the graphics. “He said, ‘This is not what you had promised to me as a game,’”
>“What began was six weeks of pretty significant crunch to do a demo specifically for Patrick Söderlund,” said one member of the team. They overhauled the art, knowing that the best way to impress Söderlund would be to make a demo that looked as pretty as possible.
>The leadership team’s most recent decision had been to remove flying entirely, but they needed to impress Söderlund
>“One of our QA people had been playing it over and over again so they could get the flow and timing down perfectly,” said one person who was involved. “Within 30 seconds or so the exo jumps off and glides off this precipice and lands.”
Then, according to two people who were in the room, Patrick Söderlund was stunned.
“He turns around and goes, ‘That was fucking awesome, show it to me again,’” said one person who was there. “He was like, ‘That was amazing. It’s exactly what I wanted.’”

Is Patrick a fucking child?

Didn't they do that on Top Gear once?

Unions succeeded because they leveraged their position as non-outsourceable labor to improve their conditions here, and did unironically give us the weekend and higher wages. As outsourcing became a thing and the middle class decided cheap Chinese garbage was worth it, they eroded their manufacturing (i.e. jobs) base and future security. Unions slowly morphed into "protect my job regardless of outside conditions" rather than "improve my job because of these internal conditions".

My mom did this. Just took 3 months off of work due to stress leave and went back after. I thought she was just bullshitting the entire time and got fired.

lmao. they are literall cattle.

Patrick is THAT guy who literally told people not to buy Battlefield 5.
He's a damn riot that guy.

Literally nobody is a bigger apologist for shitty business practices and horrible work environments than NEETs

tranny discord\ dumb-era and or just false flagging shitposting faglards ITT

mostly the latter, those fags should be instabanned for pretending to be retarded while actually being retarded

Imagine actually consuming that propaganda. Normies these days are unironically as brainwashed as pol

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (752x612, 130K)

Take your meds, schizo.

It makes sense when you think about it. They want all wagies to be undeniably miserable to justify their inaction in the workforce.

It was really hard but I finally managed to use my voice to produce a literal fucking flower.
My boss wasn't even impressed :(

evryone is in that part of the world

>frostbite engine shit
There's your problem, that engine belongs in a trash can and EA forcing it did not help matters at all. Anthem was mediocre, but jesus that engine is utter shit.

>waahhh why don't people like my social media screencap threads
big yikes

This is what happens when you hire inexperienced millennials who had everything handed to them on a silver platter

Attached: 1506558712477.jpg (1200x1200, 98K)

>silver platter
>unpaid overtime
Ah yes

>spoiled kids getting a taste of reality
Yep.

It means hunt down the jank that looks goofy leave the jank that is bugged

>not doing a job you love
can't think of a more miserable existence desu

>stopped reading Kotaku over five years ago due to their nonsense
>people still read Kotaku for some reason

how depressing and anxious can working on a video game possibly be
could this be the result of diversity hires

Attached: 9d5.png (2688x2688, 219K)

>Later, they came up with an explanation for the name: The game’s planet was enveloped by something called the Anthem of Creation
Okay what the fuck. The only cool thing about the story was made up on the spot after marketeers randomly decided to change the name of the game

>record debt levels
>need a PhD in theorhetical physics just to get an entry level position
>spoiled
Ah yes

>womans and (allies)
lmao imagine being a male feminist you are literally less than a animal for everyone

*blocks your path*

Attached: 650_80.jpg (650x487, 27K)

>unpaid overtime is acceptable because I was a dipshit who said nothing

Based kike puppet.

>EA crushes another developer
Was anyone surprised? I haven't played a bioware game since they got their filthy paws on it, and time only keeps on proving me right not to.

>everybody is one person

>constantly overwork your employees
>all the good ones leave and the only people left are those who can't get a job elsewhere

like pottery

There are a lot of jobs that still wouldn't let you back. Then again this is Canada it probably has stronger employee protection laws than the US of Ancap

>It’s a story of technical failings, as EA’s Frostbite engine continued to make life miserable for many of BioWare’s developers, and understaffed departments struggled to serve their team’s needs. It’s a story of two studios, one in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and another in Austin, Texas, that grew resentful toward one another thanks to a tense, lopsided relationship. It’s a story of a video game that was in development for nearly seven years but didn’t enter production until the final 18 months, thanks to big narrative reboots, major design overhauls, and a leadership team said to be unable to provide a consistent vision and unwilling to listen to feedback.
Imagine writing this and thinking "wow I'm a fucking writer this is well written". I've read better greentexts.

Sorry m8:
>werks on my machine
Adblock? uMatrix?

If you are in a job like that your salary is more than decent. They need to man up.

t. doesn't know the hellish crunch that is any programmer work

Doesn't sound like a dream for me.
You just chose to be a slave for no reason.
I would never work without getting paid while also destroying my health.

well yeah im not a fucking nerd bud

>it's okay that I'm not being paid to work because I'm being paid a little more than other people

I take it back, you're a fucking kike.

If they live within a reasonable distance from their workplace, chances are their salary weighed against the cost of living effectively renders their take home pay somewhere around $12 an hour. I have no clue how you got so brainwashed you would defend unpaid overtime. There's nothing noble about that mindset.

>NEETs
>self-improvement

>are we going to fix the problems that lead to the memed on issues?
>nope! Do more with less!
Become self-employed if you can anons.

>One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. “People were so angry and sad all the time,” they said. Said another: “Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”
This is the only studio EA should have closed.

Aww bohoo it’s so hard to sit in front of a PC. How will the poor weak cunts ever survive?
I hope Bioware fucking dies and they fire all those worthless trannies

Attached: F23740EA-C37F-4E21-AAFF-7B85F369944B.jpg (1024x593, 43K)

It's their own fault. They're so desperate to be games developers that they'd sell their own mothers to get a job in the industry, that same desperation enabled the industry to get away with treating them like shit because there's always another desperate shitbag waiting on the doorstep with a useless degree in games design and a fresh mother to sell. I don't know how they expect to unionise and solve everything when they are the enablers.

At this point they should just drop the price to $20 and heap whatever rewards that might offer. There's no way anyone is paying full price for this.

Game companies need to relearn how to correctly value a game's worth, and not just slap a $60 tag on it just because everyone else is doing it. But then again, that would require the buyers to not be autistic.

>voluntary
Yeah. I'll just choose to not eat user, good plan.

I don't really understand what's the problem here. If your work sucks and destroys you why don't you just..leave? You already somehow made it this far didn't you? Go work at a different company. And maybe, just maybe, game dev in general isn't for you if you break down and cry every few days. I imagine it's easier for game dev folks to get jobs in the tech industry where literally everything is better.

It’s almost like being a man taking estrogen pills fuck with the brain and makes you a weak cry baby.

>hire a bunch of women, trannies, fags, and blacks
>tell them about the glory days when whites and Asians worked tons of hours to make great games
>actually believe those subhumans will work the same way the whites and Asians did

JUST

based protographer

>all these edgy faggots ITT
jesus fuck put a bullet in your brain already

How does bioware keep getting funded?

>badly handled app platform transition
Fuck dude. You triggered the shit out of me

Attached: 1553194992177.png (730x856, 822K)

>and allies
I only see one man, so why didn't she just say ally?

We aren't trannies.

>anti-fandom
What does this mean?

Let me guess, you are some soý guzzling code monkey beta? Grow some balls and a spine

Well the Andromeda studio got shut down after Andromeda's release, and the main studio saved their asses by teasing Dragon Age 4. But for sure if it goes on like this they don't have much time left.

if you ever worked a day in your life you'd know that every job can be very fucking depressing and stressful if the management is balls. From a McJob to a full blow VP or Director

I don't like Bioware as much as the next guy on here, but sitting in front of a computer all day doing programming work can be absolutely mind-numbing and/or sanity destroying, and only seems to be made worse by being forced to use an engine that made doing their jobs much harder/longer than it needed to be combined with most of the people that actually know how to work with that engine being used up by EA's bigger project.
There's also the problem of a clear lack of direction and strong leadership on the project, which is pretty much all on Bioware, but Anthem seems like it was fucked in so many ways

Attached: DATS_RITE.png (1806x1094, 3.23M)

You underestimate how many people in the divided slaves live hand to mouth.

>Around the same time, Electronic Arts executive Patrick Söderlund, to whom BioWare’s leadership reported, played the Anthem Christmas demo. According to three people familiar with what happened, he told BioWare that it was unacceptable. (Söderlund did not respond to a request for comment.) He was particularly disappointed by the graphics. “He said, ‘This is not what you had promised to me as a game,’” said one person who was there. Then, those developers said, Söderlund summoned a group of high-level BioWare staff to fly out to Stockholm, Sweden and meet with developers at DICE, the studio behind Battlefield and Frostbite. (DICE would later bring in a strike team to help BioWare work out Frostbite kinks and make Anthem look prettier.)
FUCKING GRAPHICS FAGGOT!

Yea Forums memelords are growing too strong, disrupting game development

This is what happens when your business model is predicated on the success of the emasculating matriarchal mind-control zeitgeist. Only with the death of anonymity and the complete progressive-regressive fascist takeover can their game be a hit.

Hi, Mark!

A 50-million dollar child that is still helping EA hemorrhage money because he made everyone go for the "cheaper" Frostbite engine.

Is he the hero we deserve? Destroying EA from the inside-out?

>Him complaining was the only reason they put the ironman flying back in
Holy shit, without that faggot the game would have tanked even further.

there has never been a more patrician webcomic or fanbase than achewood

>Andromeda steaming shit
>Anthem will be better guys
>Anthem is made by the A Team
Today I will remind them

Those "people" have no idea how savings work. They quit today they will starve to death next month

Without him they wouldn't have to use shitbite.

He left lol

He's probably running samples or working in some kind of industrial setting

I know people who work in factory labs who just test food/fabric/metal samples in the lab all day to make sure they're running consistently, load up some test tubes with the material and put through a chemical machine, and make $35/h with 8-12 hours of 1.5x overtime a week

You can use outline.com{target_url} to the same effect

I love that Söderlund's criticism wasn't that the game had no direction or idea, but that it didn't have enough graphics.

So they just slapped together the E3 demo to bamboozle him with graphics (and flying, a cut mechanic but the only one they had to impress him) and it worked.

And this motherfucker got a 20 million dollar bonus months before telling customers to not buy the game if they're too racist for it and getting shitcanned for it. Lol, this guy.

>They actively wanted to make something forgettable in order to no be made fun of
This fucking game.

Attached: H A H A.jpg (1284x980, 389K)

Stress often comes from guilt. Most of them must know they were not hired for their ability.

What the fuck is Anthem?

Patrick is the reason they kept the flying in

I legitimately forgot that Anthem came out

Attached: 3462346.gif (288x377, 1.83M)

EA's failed Destiny-like

>all these people blaming the devs
>not the publisher
>the publisher that is fucking EA
>a publisher that is known for shitty, game-ruining practices
Diversity hires are irrelevant when the project is mis-managed and meddled to fuck.

But it is a better game user, it went from utter shit too mediocre, and partially got fucked by a graphics whoring manchild. Maybe if they were allowed too use a not crap engine the game would be better.

My problem with people saying how hard it is usually haven’t had many other kinds of jobs. I would rather crunch numbers on the PC all day long instead of being in the military which had some absolutely grueling days.

You are probably the problem

They're all to blame, fuck you.

Oh shit yeah now I remember.
I saw an advert for it on TV about a month ago.
Is it dead already?

people who hate the game say that the most enjoyable part of the game is the freeroam or flying

>Be Patrick Söderlund
>Woowee, bretty grafics! And yu can fly!!!!!
>Good jub team!

Attached: DiosMio!.webm (480x720, 2.76M)

>Holy shit, without that faggot the game would have tanked even further.

turns out having deadlines and internal verifications means that somewhere along the 6 years of development you gotta get your shit together.

What? Andromeda was mediocre, Anthem is just a shit and has already been forgotten.

It crashed and burned yeah

Go make me a house with toothpicks user. It's not allowed the fall over. Also you have to deal with the fact that when it does fall over: You're sacked.

people wanting your game to fail
i.e. Yea Forums

it's burning and soon only ashes will be left.

Everyone here is to blame you fucking dolt, read the article. Former devs straight up shit on BioWare's stupid development culture.

And then the teams spend 5 years trying to decide what house to build rather than doing anything

Wasn't it that card game

Surely it didn't fail because the game sucked, it was pesky Yea Forums that tanked the game.

best part of the game

The problem with Anthem was almost certainly the management. It's an appealing game visually and they most likely spent a lot of time prettying it up so that everything felt smooth and the execs would be wowed. So what you get is a really nice looking game with dogshit mechanics. 100% style, 0% substance.

I love how that's their focus, rather than simply not making shitty animations.

Nah, everyone here older than 13 can remember EA crushing and gutting countless of lily white studios.

Damn

Being an American videogame developer sounds like ass

You don't hear any of these horrible job stories in Europe or Japan

I hope that Trump do.something about this instead of lool we're gonna close the southern border

Attached: Jill.gif (145x186, 24K)

Well that's the end of Bioware.
I used to think Bioware was okay about 12 years ago.
It's a shame they died but they knew the deal when they signed up to EA in the first place.

>Diversity hires are irrelevant when the project is mis-managed and meddled to fuck.

the opposite is true. Having a team of worthless dead weight makes it even more stressful for the people trying to get shit done.

have you read the article? it clearly talks about months and months of crunch about a game no one had faith in and everything was mismanaged.

that was artifact by valve dude

So who do you think are the ones bought anthem? Or are we going to pretend there still isn't a fandom for bioware who still buys their games off the brand name alone

Apparently the only way they now how to make non-shitty animations in Frostbite is to blow half their budget on mocap.

>You don't hear any of these horrible job stories in Europe or Japan
CDPR and Konami are notorious for this same kind of shit, do you even play videogames?

Can someone explain to me what they spent all those years doing then? I feel like I’m missing something

Proof that graphics can't save a game. RIP

sneed sneed sneed sneed

Yeah I did. I mean yes, crunch is something that is pretty prevalent in the industry, BioWare's no exception. But this project was in dev hell for 7 years. The article also states that many left. I'm just kinda buffled why there were still people working instead of leaving like the rest. At some point it's just a ridiculous thing to do to stick with such a hellish environment.

I never heard anything about CDPR, yeah, I heard some weird stuff about Konami but their employees aren't over stressed like American ones

Most of the original devs at Bioware jumped ship years ago before DA2 released. EA is directly responsible for the current state of the devs so your post is kind of a non argument

Are there any good reviews that point out what went wrong?

They only had time and money to do one round of voice acting/motion capture for Anthem, so even though they changed parts of the game, they still have dialogue referring to elements and mechanics that no longer exist, because they couldn't change it

lol

Attached: kirb2.jpg (125x110, 2K)

The article tells you, user. It was basically just going back and forth constantly from drawing board to dev and cancelling ideas a million times and never really understanding what the fuck they were making in the first place. They literally spent years trying to figure out what the fuck they are working on.

>or Japan
Japan's work culture is so bad they've only relatively recently started to fix an epidemic of death by overworking. If you want something high-profile, look up what Konami did to Kojima. I guarantee you this stuff is also happening in Europe. It'll happen anywhere where the hiring pool heavily outstrips job positions, it comes down to what you can force other people to do at the end of the day.

>he thinks a degree is a substitute for a firm handshake and eye contact

Every character gets to fuck except Freelancer. Freelancer is town virgin.

>Patrick Söderlund, to whom BioWare’s leadership reported
Now it all makes sense

>I never heard anything about CDPR
Then you are blind and deaf.

>I heard some weird stuff about Konami but their employees aren't over stressed like American ones
And retarded. Japanese corporate culture is so bad that 100% of office drones die of heart attacks.

>Wake up at 6.
>Go to work at 7
>Work til 5.
>Speak to wife until 6
>Play video games until 9
>look at phone until 10
>sleep til 6

It's not the worst life

Lots of people shit on EA for destroying studios but i dont, i enjoy it every single time we get a modern tale of Dr Faust, deal with the devil and he WILL come to collect. You would asume people to have learned this by now

Attached: 1551517337874.jpg (570x761, 51K)

They shouldn't hire weak minded sjws

that's not how it works at all.
the pricetag is most often chosen at the start, or in the middle, of the project and determines the budget the game will have and the marketing.

if at the end of development the game sucks, pricing it 40 instead of 60 just means you'll have to sell 50% more copies to break even, but the game is just as shit so you might not be able to do it and people will lose respect for you either way because you underdelivered a game.
might as well rack up money with preorder and then try to push more copies by cutting the price later on.

that's without even mentioning how much a lower price would affect expectation and marketing: if you expect a game to be AAA and then 3 months before launch you discover it's 40$ instead of 60$, that's just the company telling you the game turned out to be shit, so might as well not get hyped and not buy it.

He's just your typical boomer

This. I still don't get what Amy Hennig was thinking.

I've been off work on sick leave for 4 months now after they discovered I had autism.
Good times.

the article tells you why, but pretty much any big reviewer made a good job of dissecting anthem, with the exception of the meme reviewers like jim sterling who are just there to ramble for 30 minutes about lootboxes and live services.

>One mandate from Anthem’s directors had been to make the game “unmemeable,” a reaction to Mass Effect
You know what to do user

why not just leave the dirty claws of EA? fuck the money, you're not going to make any working for them anyway. the only people who made anything were the retard execs who took a payday to sell their company to these fucking idiots.

Japanese work hard because it's embedded in their culture

Honor and Respect are huge part of Japanese society

It's not like American where everyone is an asshole or trannies/minorities are being hired instead of talented hard working people

>Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”
LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
Literally just make good games faggots.

How does your job "discover" you have autism?

"Finding the fun" - building prototypes and spitballing ideas, then seeing which of those can actually be made into a game. As it turned out, there weren't many that could be made into a game with the company-mandated engine, and nobody was making any decisions regarding the ones that could. They were almost at the end of development, and they were still in pre-production, spitballing. They only found a focus when they slapped something together to wow the suits, and Mark Darrah started making their decisions for them.

In the article, they specifically mention that DA4 will not be built from scratch specifically because they don't want another 16-month grind into a poor game like Andromeda and Anthem.

You might have had a point if EA didn't aquire BioWare against their will. Bioware even set up a holdings company to prevent an EA acquisition but it still happened.

What is there to meme? Everything is devoid of personality

Cool I'll have a look thanks

I'm not a Game Dev, but everything surrouding Frostbite sounds like a shitty corporate internal Software made purely to do one single thing full of workarounds, full of undocumented madness.

It sounds like the kind of Software where, when you need to fix a bug or add a new feature that depends on some piece of code, and you ask
>hey do you know how this class works?
>oh yeah the guy that did that left the company a year ago

One who does not work in Software development cannot possibly grasp the concept of depeding heavily on a tool in order to deliver good work.

By acting autistic for 5 years, the higher up I worked the more noticeable it was apparently.

Kind of hard when your bosses have no creative direction and their bosses are more interested in making FIFA than good games.

It's actually a really good article.

>Japanese work hard because it's embedded in their culture
And it's killing them left and right.
>Honor and Respect are huge part of Japanese society
Which is why they have to spend so much unpaid overtime at mandatory drinking parties -- The excuse of alcohol is the only thing that allows them to disagree with the boss and suggest alternatives. During paid hours they are expected to be complete sycophants.

>he actually believes this
Stupid weeb, its because japanese people will literally blacklist you if you get fired from a job once.

Imagine being this big a weeb

I would get depressed as fuck too working in an environment of 95% talentless women and trannies

Japan is worse, some salary men never leave the office.
Europe is pic related.

Attached: 9K3hAVRTAn8nR5kLHbR8aX.jpg (1280x960, 182K)

Frostbite was built from the ground up to be the Battlefield engine, and Dice made it fit perfectly for their vision of Battlefield. Then EA forced it on everyone else because it looked pretty, when the thing was only made for a multiplayer FPS and nothing more.

I've heard Bungie's Destiny engine is even worse and they still managed to make competent games in it.

this have to be either bait or the most retarded thing I read in Yea Forums

>Honor and Respect
Conformity and shaming people who stand out are large parts of Japanese culture, you fucking weeb. The state of Japan's mental health is atrocious. An employer who respected their employees would not ask such things. An employer who was honorable would not let people fucking die.

..and how does that disprove his point? Wouldn't you say that the honor part is reason for blacklisting someone?

Not really.

If they let Bioware work on another engine, other studios would soon also want to let go of Frostbite as well, bringing them back to square one.

For them, there is less value lost in the whole project being a failure and closing Bioware, than paying licenses to outside companies.

Noice. Wonder if I could pull that.

That's pretty much the gist of the article. Most of the guys who knew the engine got pulled to a different project, the team had to compete with other, more important projects for support time, and the engine itself was so clunky that they couldn't afford to waste time fixing bugs, and instead had to settle for circumventing them.

>post YFW when Bioware gets axed by EA

Attached: I'm the one who clacks.jpg (885x660, 130K)

He was the combat designer and that's probably the only competent thing in the entire game.

That's the Yea Forums I know and love

Well it worked, they made one of the most blandest games ever.

Ex-euro gamedev here, it's just as bad here. Crunch time is not an american exclusive, and while it basically exists in all kind of software domains it's nowhere quite as bad as in videogames.

Attached: 7D060492-A869-4757-85CA-4A3D913B92DD.jpg (556x634, 98K)

>people still falling for this slightly modified copypasta over a decade later

Attached: exde.jpg (800x765, 212K)

What honour exist at the management level when you can act like everything is fine when your subordinates drive their cars into the ocean to kill themselves?

>Tell boss no
>Get fired and have no reference.

Have you never heard stories of things like Kamiya having to sleep in his office during projects like Wonderful 101

>EA ruins another company
Is anyone really surprised? the only real question is how much longer till EA finally just puts the bullet in Bioware and put it on the corpse pile.

Attached: bored chinese cartoon.jpg (640x480, 23K)

The devs don't know either lol

Still it sounds like a common problem with most corporate Software, the problem lies in the foundation of it. Much like how Windows will always be shit due to its roots in not having an actual Kernel and relying on the OS for everything, Frostbite is probably too dependent on Battlefield-like gameplay and features.

It's not even DICE's fault, really. There is no need to make a Software scalable unless it is specified to. They did not have any need to design third person camera or whatever else was lacking since it was designed purely for Battlefield and to make Battlefield development easier, which is why they have been shitting out BF sequels so fast, obviously the engine does what it is supposed to do well enough

Who can forget our beloved manlet with woman hips?

Attached: 1523997518265.jpg (481x947, 55K)

Is Anthem even redeemable if EA was willing to fund it? The damage and progression mechanics are so fucked up that it would probably take at least half a year to unfuck it.

Hard to meme on dead on arrival boring game, bully for them i guess.

seems comfy enough

Why does everyone keep talking about the big names? I want to know about regular workers

Rare is actually doing some interesting things to combat crunch time in terms of their organisational structure for projects. They tried it out on SoT. It didn't work out great but honestly it didn't work out any worse than other AAA bugcore games. It's something that is starting to be addressed, at the very least.

>Game devs keep trying to make looter shooters
>They all literally just don't get it
>The only people that are competent enough to make them are fucking Gearbox
>Borderlands 2 has been on the market since 2012 and it's still the best looter shooter to date
How is something like this even possible? Why are games like Destiny and Anthem actively discouraging their players from getting as much loot as possible? It's literally the entire point of the game.

Attached: 1546585470159.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

>Working in a communist country
I feel bad for you Xi Chang

You are right, of course there's no honor in that, but I think the nips have a very skewed sense of honor, like taken to the extreme, which fuels all the hellish conditions. Why else do they blacklist somebody just because he got fired?

What did they do?

Could be the best article ever made and I still wouldn’t give those cucks a single click

The FIFA games were made in Frostbite without any issues. I think this is a Bioware problem honestly.

They're bitching about having to program an inventory system that might take a week if you're really slow. Unreal/Unity don't have built in inventory systems yet nobody bitches about having to do it there.

Too much competition out now, it's DoA. The fundamental problems with this game game aren't fixable with an expansion anyways.

>Some come back, some don’t.
kek. Bioware is basically dead. People have been saying it for years but I don't see how they can come back from this unless they change everything. You can't make games if everyone's leaving all the time

The big names are the ones who have earned enough clout to be able to talk about this stuff without just being told to shut up and work harder.

>why don't medical students just find fellowships that let them come in 5 hours a week?
Dumbass every big game development studio does this. If your suggestion is that people take their expensive degrees and experience and work for a dog shit wage at an indie studio that might go under in a year then you're being completely unreasonable

So when does your bvll swing by?

Attached: image.jpg (640x994, 79K)

Literally me

>Why are games like Destiny and Anthem actively discouraging their players from getting as much loot as possible? It's literally the entire point of the game.

Can't sell lootboxes if the players get them for free all the time.

Funny story, the football in Madden has 1hp.

Because you can't have complex physics in Frostbite unless you have health.

The engine is completely spaghettified outside of Battlefield.

Attached: IMG_20190402_181128.jpg (661x239, 49K)

Anthem was destined to fail because Bioware has no talent left and they made a game that they have no experience making.

I'd recommend reading the pastebin. It's not bad, though I've been less than impressed with some of the writer's previous statements, and the less said about his publisher, the better.

>Why are games like Destiny and Anthem actively discouraging their players from getting as much loot as possible?
Because then they can charge for it in Loot Boxes. They're just AAA gatcha games

Some nerd in this thread explain to me right now why some game engines are hard to use and some are not. What is the difference?

The people affected by it are the ones trying to do their job properly
>Execs and Committee spend 5 years discussing a game idea.
>Still have no defined VISION for the game
>Choose bootlicker #73 as the director. Again, he has no fucking idea or vision for the game, changes his mind constantly and demands complete overhauls
>Have to make entire fucking game in 1.5 years
>Thats not even counting the overhauls because of glitches or execs complaining.
>Modelers, artists and programmers need to work 100 hours per week to make ends meet
>They look around and see 75% of their team are useless diversity hires
>They know for sure they will be fired when the game is ready because its EA and they want 12 Million sales on the release day.

Borderlands 2 had a broken loot drop system compared to the first one

Wrong. There is an endless supply of retards with degrees in ""game design"" they can bring aboard, pay peanuts, and work to the bone. Faggots will continue to buy the slop piles they put out, and they'll continue making bank off it,.

As the article says though, the FIFA teams get more support from people who actually know how to use the engine, and stuff like Unreal and Unity are widely used across the industry by many people and have more resources available to them while Frostbite is all inhouse shit

>The FIFA games were made in Frostbite without any issues

That's because EA was pulling engineers from BioWare to work on FIFA that were supposed to be working on Anthem.

Faggot culture needs to die out and get cool guys to make cool video games again. Seriously.

Thing is BioWare will never be allowed to leave EA and develop a game in Unreal or Unity etc, EA would see them dissolved before that were to happen

>still using a video game engine from 8 years ago
That's the problem.

Better to die with honor than live in shame. A thing you wouldn’t know about you fat useless American.

Yes but they did it on purpose. It's hard to meme, but you have to take on this challenge user

photochad making journocucks seethe

>Because you can't have complex physics in Frostbite unless you have health.

Attached: Sam.gif (720x404, 1.12M)

No I would just get a different job. But unfortunately for them the market is drying up.

>if EA was willing to fund it
Andromeda did so badly they canned all planned DLC. Anthem didn't even sell a season pass, they aren't obligated to do anything with it and most likely won't bother.

Attached: anthem flopped.png (738x322, 367K)

The FIFA games work because the entire engineering team that made the engine got sent over to work on FIFA.
I imagine if Anthem had the same resources available the game would at least run a little better.

I'll see if I can find any of them talking about it but I'm not hopeful I only know because they came and did a talk about it at my university. A oversimplified description: They didn't leave anything half-implemented. If something was going in the build, it had to work. You can always come back and build upon it but they kept the game at the point where if somebody came in and said "We're shipping right fucking now!" they could do it and it would work. It was a really interesting talk, I'm bummed out they don't seem to be talking about it much.

Fifa makes EA all it's fucking money. Like 90% of it.
And there are huge problems with the game still. It's player base is declining each year, since Frostbite came in and they put all the focus on Ultimate Team.

>The FIFA games were made in Frostbite without any issues. I think this is a Bioware problem honestly.

Everyone at Bioware who actually knew how to use Frostbite was moved to FIFA.

Attached: Untitled.png (660x534, 72K)

Unionizing makes it more shit and burdens everyone with regulations untill nothing gets done , also labour unions are entirely political and corrupt, if you think they will do any more for you than the bare minimum to jutify their existance, you are dead wrong

Attached: 1545015108274.jpg (1200x1495, 550K)

>they canned all planned DLC
Was there any season pass for andromeda, or was it just like anthem?

There is nothing wrong in doing shortcuts or some trick to get a good result, the issue is when the whole work is just a hackjob like Bethesda do with gamebryo.

I don't think there was, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to get away with it.

There was no season pass, but there were definite DLC baits in the game. The Salarian or Quarian ark, forget which, was discovered just at the end of the game or some shit.

That's not the problem. DICE still puts out Battlefield games that are more than competent from a technical perspective and other well made modern shooters are built on modified engines over a decade old.

I agree, but I hope the video game industry DOES unionize. We need a game market crash like never before.

Attached: 1544924351725.png (487x768, 585K)

According to the article, "hackjob" ended up being BioWare's answer to the myriad bugs - actually fixing them with the engine took so much time and effort that they spent more time hacking around problems than addressing them.

What's your proposed solution if not the one that has been shown to work in the past then? I agree that unions are too much of a politics game but there's really no solution to a collective that wants to get rid of your rights other than a collective that wants to protect your rights (for their own self-interest). You going to make the government ban overtime? How about letting workers work unpaid hours at all?

It really isn't, buddy. Red Dead Redemption 2 still runs on RAGE which was used for fucking GTA 4.

Some game engines have a wide variety of tools to use, with detailed manuals on how to use them. Some even have professional support teams and will even embed experts within your dev team.

Some game engines are nothing but a loose collection of worn-out Robertson screwdrivers developed to build and maintain one specific game by a handful of uncommunicative assholes who never wrote anything down to maintain their job security, and the game you're trying to build needs a Phillips screwdriver and a suite of Alan keys.

How do I apply

That's actually not a bad idea. Glad some companies are starting to plan against that kind of thing.

Honestly, the recurring problem seems to be too many non-technical “designers” (I.e middle managers) rather than engineers/artists. These people are terrible bloat and waste everyone else’s time and energy. The decisions are only made when the deadline looms meaning people can’t waste people’s time anymore.

And Schrier’s anonymous sources tend to be designers/writers.

Do we have any proof she's an sjw? I don't think I ever saw any.
I kinda feel bad for her, maybe she's just doing her job without caring about political shit, but she's still taken as a symbol of bioware degeneracy just because she's fugly

>muh women and trannies

Would it be just the AAA industry that would try to unionize or EVERYONE even the most indy devs?

Euphoria was used in gta iv ackshually

>recognize that people make fun of you
>don't actually address why, just demand they stop

Attached: 1394942699991.jpg (469x302, 36K)

2 to 3 times a week.
Pretty chill guy we sometimes play Fifa together at the weekends.

It would probably work the same way the screen writers of America guild works to be honest

>she
Yes we do, go look at his facebook unless he has been deleting stuff.

Attached: 7A788CE0-08F9-4BB5-8EF6-7EE8C6263BFC.jpg (750x764, 424K)

Euphoria is part of RAGE tho isn't it?

Mentally ill tard

Guilds aren't unions.

And people got really mad when both Activision and EA recently let hundreds of those types of jobs go.
They were all marketing and PR types as well as HR if I remember right.

>Faggots will continue to buy the slop piles they put out, and they'll continue making bank off it,.

We're talking about nuBioWare games not FIFA

This article is way too long mayne

oh it's a tranny... I feel foolish

It's just weird to build a dependency like that in the first place. Not every rigid body is going to need a health value. If anything, destructable objects should be a child class of the replicated rigid body.

>collective bargaining
>can rally strikes
Sounds like an union to me

It smells of women being incompetant.
> “Stuff would take a year or two to figure out because no one really wanted to make a call on it.”
Women are known for being indecisive as fuck. I think it all the female hires' fault.

SJW made being White/Hetero/Cisgendered/Mentally Healthy basically unacceptable so those who don't belong to the spectrum has to call themselves ally in order to avoid getting ostracized by their own

This kills the westfag

>shittiest engine i've ever worked with
you didn't work with any engine you retard, you were a writer.

>mfw escape from tarkov is 5 times more popular than a new bioware game in the same genre
I don't have a face for this

That’s why that youtube video pic is funny, besides the huge droopy double chin.
>girls behind games
>it’s a man

He was the gameplay designer.

EA doesn't give a shit.
It'll make all it's money back when zoomers drop fortnite to play apex legends.

>Game spent years in pre-production and was massively over cost and behind schedule because no one could make concrete decisions about what it was actually going to be until a new director took over and started doing so in the last year of development to get it rushed out of the door instead of canned entirely
So this is the FF15 of the west?

iirc the Quarians were slated to appear in some fashion
Kinda glad I don't have to see those dirty space tramps again

>apex legends

Why is Respawn allowed to use Source while everyone else is forced to use Frostbite?

No, just usual AAA business.

Respawn keep saying they actually have no executive meddling from EA, despite everything about them having that stink.

You remembered wrong.
People got mad at Activision because despite making record profits they laid off nearly 800 people in an attempt to kneecap blizzard since most of those jobs were Blizzard's support staff.

>“Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”

its all women and S0ibois

The difference is that it is illegal to do any work that a guild has jurisdiction over if you are not part of the guild.

Under a guild system, indie games would be illegal.

>unironically thinking a PhD will get you a job outside of doing further research
>thinking that even with a bachelors you don't have to do ground work or build a portfolio to get somewhere
>believing that you need a degree for shit like administrative assistant or secretary
this shit is why the truly smart millennials went in to trades and aren't spending most of their salary on living expenses

Baorderlands 2 is pure fucking garbage. It changed out the linear progression where interesting/rare mods on lower end gear could still be useful to one of exponential growth where you were required to have a weapon of the teir content you're playing at with little to no wiggle room, making everything else you picked up earlier worthless now matter how neat/fun the mods were.
Exponential growth in stats for RPG mechanics is god fucking awful 95% of the time. Its so rarely executed well it should be avoided at all cost.

Sounds like a fucking kindergarten.
Who thought it was a good idea to have a team of women and trannies make a AAA video game?

That's what support staff is you mong
Here's a quote:
At Blizzard, the layoffs appear to only have affected non-game-development departments, such as publishing and esports, both of which were expected to be hit hard.

Because Apex was a quick cash grab that largely reused assets from Titanfall 2. The only reason it turned out well is because Respawn is a new acquisition and they actually make really good shooters, unlike BioWare.

> The annual soccer franchise was EA’s most important series, bringing in a large chunk of the publisher’s revenue, and BioWare had programmers with Frostbite experience, so Electronic Arts shifted them to FIFA.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Couldn't tell you. Apparently upper management is hands-off with the Titanfall guys for some reason.

Apex growth has slowed way the fuck down, it's not going to overtake Fornite anytime soon. It's not even in the top 3 games on Twitch anymore

>believing that you need a degree for shit like administrative assistant or secretary

implying they will even look at your resume without an MBA

iT WAS PATRICK SODERLAND'S DECISION. tHE SAME DUDE WHO TOLD PEOPLE NOT TO BUY BF5.

FIFA is like a fucking blackhole and what is worse is that shit make ton of money without much effort.

Do you not have an occupational health service in your country?
I got my own private office through mine so I don't have to talk to people at all if I don't want to.
Functioning Autismals are treasured at a lot of companies for being able to work through a system or process and find all the problems with it ahead of time. Normal's always wait until shit hits the fan for some reason.

Na bro, the roots of Frostbite go back to the late 90s, its actually a purchased out closed source fork of the Quake 3 engine. Granted I doubt by this point there is a single line of Q3 code left in it, but its been EXTREMELY optimized for one and only one use for the past 20 years, FPSs... Yeah, 20 years.

There's about ten or so damning things in that article and most of them are bioware, not EA.

Leadership not making decisions and sticking with them.

Lol nope. I have worked in several different fields and NEVER have a let a company get away with not paying me overtime. You are just a corporate dick licker.

Why do Americans hate the idea of worker rights?

Crunch works because it forces the middle-managers to actually make decisions and everyone to focus on creating an actual game rather than fucking about.

That’s the real problem. Too many people, not enough decisions.

That’s why Anthem finally started coming together when they made the demo. They were backed against the wall and forced to make something.

You start creating something small (a prototype, a vertical slice, whatever the fuck you want to call it) then build everything else around it.

It's about half and half with "holy shit boss just tell us what to do" and "holy shit this engine is awful"

EA and Bioware are one and the same. There's no real distinction to be made

>Making it about race and muh women when the article pretty much outlined the actual reasons for why it failed
Hey retard go back to whatever shithole you came from.

>One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry.

Attached: 1468538536209.jpg (508x504, 77K)

it'll pick up again once it becomes more rooted
Fortnite wasn't an overnight sensation from the day of release.

Apparently that was the best part about Mark Darrah hitting the scene. He slapped everyone upside the head and told them "finish this" when they were still faffing about with ideas.

>muh worker rights
Unionization just means everyone will be controlled with regulations and politically.

Because the publisher constantly fires and reshuffles people to the point that the team leader has been changed 9 times.

Yes how dare workers be treated fairly! Surely I am special and if I keep it up will be above these ants.

nobody is hiring people with degrees in 'game design'. actual designers make up a very small portion of the team. unless they've established a very substantial portfolio for themselves, it's too important of a position to give to someone fresh out of university. Even level design requires some experience. A lot of grads are too lazy or stupid to realize they have to showcase their abilities beyond their meme certificate.

It worked, because it wont even fucking load for me to play.

are...are you me?
This is exactly my work life.
How do you stick it out bro?

He sounds like the only competent staff in a managerial position they had over 6-7 fucking years.

>/anthg/ is dead

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nobody is owed anything. If they can't hack it that's their personal responsibility. Look at me. I'm doing fine. Maybe they're losers. Fuck losers.

Unionization means that games will be controlled with heavy regulations and controlled politically.

What's with this meme of wanting developers treated better
I want them treated worse. I want them treated like the garbage they are.

Probably because showing outside of your hours wont get you paid more?

similar to how source is based off the original quake engine

damn user what the hell

I don't think you understand what unionization means

>Some come back, some don't.
Guarantee they didn't take 3 months off for "stress". They took it off to find another job.

>“There are little bits of dialogue, little moments in some of these performance-captured scenes, that if you stop and think, don’t make any sense,” said one developer.

Attached: image_5a7786fd865c7.png (642x504, 147K)

Really, it sounds like they should have brought him in earlier. They might have done alright for themselves.

I don't think you understand why you don't think that unionization means that games will be controlled with heavy regulations and controlled politically..

>Nu-Bioware
>Making something relevant in the last decade
The studio has been a walking corpse for a long time

>Writer X do Y.
>Retard get fired but line must be keep because mocap is done.

See why?

And you're doing fine because workers were given rights you retard. We can flip it the other way and asked why are companies owed our unpaid labour?

Reason it failed is beta male virgin main character. Fucking Freelancer is cuck loser.

>It smells of women being incompetant.
Most of the leadership team was compromised of men you fucking incel.

Rooted in what exactly?
>Fortnite wasn't an overnight sensation from the day of release.
But Apex was, largely because they paid high profile streamers to promote it. And now that it's not anymore most of those streamers have switched back to Fortnite. Apex has a stable base but it's shown zero signs of overtaking Fortnite ever since it's growth has topped off. For the record I'm not defending Fortnite, I think it's shit to play but I'm also not going to delude myself into thinking Apex will become more popular

based sweeties poster

...Yes? Anyone doing either of those things can just do a 1 year diploma from a community college. An MBA will never train someone how to do legal secretary work. Even with that low of a barrier to entry(its not even expensive to take that program here), it's significantly difficult to find someone that takes the job seriously and isn't a constant fuckup. Raising the barrier to entry would leave you with less choice but more meme degree millennials who eat constantly at the front desk and can't figure out how to do their job after being explained several dozen times in several different ways.

Funny how these things go. The GoldSrc engine (Half Life 1) was actually just the Quake 1 engine with motion twining and network code back ported from the Quake 2 engine.
Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies for the Korean market uses the GoldSrc engine and was released in 2014 (you read that correct)

That doesn't fit my narrative, fuck off

Because they actually had balls to fight EA and tell them they know what their doing.
and they bought the engine only when EA owned 50% of the company

Less than 1k watching on Twitch atm.

Attached: 1496066563373.png (737x938, 260K)

Your copycat bullshit isn't convincing, bud.

Because once the 8,9,10 year olds that play Fortnite will want a more "mature" game once they're a couple of years older.

When I was 8 I was playing Sonic 3D when I was 10 I was playing Resident Evil.

All they need to do is spread the word that fortnite is for little kids and it'll be dropped for the same game but slightly grimdarker.

Workers rights means that games will be controlled with heavy regulations and controlled politically.

Man up and get another job if you don't like it. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, give your next boss a firm handshake and eye contact or start your own company where you get to make the rules for workers.

Americans love corporations and being told what to do. They'll say they love autonomy and freedom, but that's just something their media, leaders and employers have told them they have and should seek out. If American corporations weren't expected to be run like a sociopath(profit first, nothing else matters), the world would be a better place for everyone. Unfortunately burgers have been brainwashed since they were very young to think the way things are now are the way things have always been - and should always be.

Case in point

Typical (R)tard, blaming minorities for the incompetence of leadership

Attached: 6mu8iXO.gif (310x233, 952K)

So instead of fixing systemic problems in an industry you should just move onto another job with the same problems?
No wonder you somehow think people having rights mean SJW will control all games.

Meant to quote

I knew about CSNZ. I am not surprised, for a country that didn't have consoles due to their relations with japan and had PCs, they sure are void of original, well designed games.

I think the only korean game that was truly unique was Ragnarok Online, and that's just because nobody knew what the fuck an MMO was supposed to be. Every iteration of it since then has been absolute shit.

No it's explained in the article. They recorded mocap late in development and didn't have money/time to redo it when gameplay changed again even later in development. Basically they're retarded

Well you're not convincing either so obviously you need to work on your shit.

>I don't hear this in japan

Gran turismo team lived at the office and had bunks for multiple projects
A lot of offices have sleep rooms for people who work overnight
Sakurai worked on Smash with an IV strip in his arm
Kojima and Konami

Sorry I don't care for your heavily regulated politically controlled games the hand of the free market is jerking me off right now.

Just get another job

Imagine if they had someone and they had a 75% finished version 3 years ago to build off.

People are obsessed with making the perfect decision when any reasonable well-thought our decision is fine. There are lots of good choices. There’s nothing wrong with the name Anthem - someone made a decision, it’s a good name, who fucking cares?

>t. basement browser

I am starting to think you don't know what rights are.

>Yeah bro, just get another development job in Canada
>Yeah bro, just move to the bay area and surrender 60% of your salary to rent
kys

>this copycat shit again
Are you a woman or a 12 year old?