It hasn't aged well

>it hasn't aged well
>it was good for its time
>you can't judge it by today's standards
>you had to be there when it came out
Can anyone explain to me what exactly people mean by this? Do people who say this stuff mean that we are forever bound to the opinion of people who played it when it came out? Obviously you can't say the developers should have used technology that didn't exist, but good game design has always been possible (at least starting from NES), so games can fairly be criticized for lacking it.

Attached: images.jpg (227x222, 7K)

Early 3D games should be judged by their own standards instead of modern standards, that being said even brainlets like you can still judge most n64 games fairly to any degree

>Early 3D games should be judged by their own standards instead of modern standards
Why tho?

Perfectly valid statements when talking about graphics, framerate or some gameplay element that may be limited by the hardware it was on

🌈

Modern game development is so easy anybody with a pc and some dedication can make something worth playing, but back then it was the wild west of video games. Nobody knew what they were doing and, surprise, making 3d games when they didn't exist before is tough

when you run outta arguments you use these,simple

Sometimes older games are just inferior to modern games in some aspects

so you're saying they should get an A for effort

you seriously can't be this stupid, it's like a whole new level of zoomerism

am i wrong?>

Agreed.

Deus Ex - the PC original - hasn't aged well compared to modern FPS'. It's not the developers' *fault*, as obviously there's been a shitton of quality-of-life improvements to the genre over the past 19 years.

For example: to my recollection, a fresh download from Steam doesn't use WASD controls, and you can't use a controller without getting into the game's guts. Yes, you can rebind controls; but compared to a modern FPS where you don't need to because it already uses the standard modern FPS keybinds...

It's also cute how the main character wears sunglasses and a trenchcoat and it's played completely seriously. Did you know that the Matrix is 20 years old, as of two days ago?

Same reason you say it with films. Beyond obvious tech limitations, the standards and expectations of the medium evolve with time.

Mine plays fine with WASD bu default.
And the fact really is that trenchcoats and sunglasses are cool. But not on the fattasses who weat them to look cool.
JC is a cool guy, so he can wear them completely seriously. If I saw Chad Thundercock in a fedora, you know I'd think he looked cool as hell.

>Deus Ex - the PC original - hasn't aged well compared to modern FPS
It's true. Graphic-wise it's outdated but there's HD mods out there that can fix this
>For example: to my recollection, a fresh download from Steam doesn't use WASD controls, and you can't use a controller without getting into the game's guts.
Uhh? Just rebind them yourself and don't use a controller unless you're playing the console version? This isn't really a problem
> Yes, you can rebind controls; but compared to a modern FPS where you don't need to because it already uses the standard modern FPS keybinds...
sounds like whining
>It's also cute how the main character wears sunglasses and a trenchcoat and it's played completely seriously. Did you know that the Matrix is 20 years old, as of two days ago?
You do know everyone in the game is making fun of JC for that right? So there's self-awareness in there even when The Matrix was just 2 yo.

Attached: DXNHDTP_2_1.jpg (1920x1080, 314K)

I'm probably misremembering, it's been a while since I bothered. However, I'm 100% sure it uses some arcane 2000 default control setup that's just different to a modern FPS' to be annoying.

>there's HD mods
>Uhh? Just rebind them yourself
...my point was that this is exactly how the game hasn't aged well. Because the game needs fixing out of the box.

I'll give you another example: controller support. It's great being able to simply plug in an Xbox controller - or a PS controller in the past what, three? five years? - and have everything 'just work', even with visually-accurate on-screen button prompts. There's the odd standout like Homefront - which still displays shit like 'use JOY4 to pick up weapon' or whatever - but again, that's a modern QoL thing I appreciate.

In particular, NES and N64 era games made a lot of mistakes because there were no standards beforehand.
I think it's fair to look past certain unavoidable flaws, with the assumption that if they were being remade they would have fixes put in.

Attached: 3927f0279ed109e35afa4ed19036d29b.png (1118x838, 15K)

I'm being serious. I'm guessing you think otherwise? Use words and sentences, instead of memes.

But there were plenty of great NES and a few good N64 games, so it was clearly possible to make great games back then

Plus just because its hard, why should we lie to ourselves or overlook flaws? If a game is bad, its bad. no matter what the reason

It's a case-by-case basis. For example, the legend of zelda was pretty good for a time when reading manuals and strategy guides was common, so people questioned the game design a lot less. Today though I don't think that there's anybody who wants to go back to that, but that doesn't make the game worse for what it was trying to be.

There are plenty of people who go back to it. I went back to it recently and had to refer to a walkthrough a few times but it ain't that cryptic mostly, and the combat is still fun

>Oh cool, this game has neat controls.
>Still sucks ass compared to modern games though.
There is my fair assessment.

That’s what he just said retard