Daggerfall Unity

Opinions?

youtube.com/watch?v=vqdy7z-3oaw

Attached: 3dtrees2.jpg (1920x1080, 295K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6YIme0559do
dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/roadmap/
youtube.com/watch?v=46gaz6veVNQ
forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=49
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit game and not becuse of the grapfics

Get out of here Zoomer.

somebody is still salty he got stuck in a dungeon and couldn't find the quest reward
Reminder: Daggefall unity is fixing this problem too for dumb casuals

Attached: A+demon+and+an+ogre+in+the+same+picture+its+_8e1d9d9dd5472b04112de2b0915c9531.jpg (319x316, 10K)

Yea Forums is getting worse every day. Zaric said years ago he couldn't stand the changing demographics and left.

Is it done?

>greatest open world game in it's true meaning ever
>deepest sandbox rpg-game ever
>one of the most intricate rpg-games put into game form ever
>shit

Noo, it achieves all it set out to be. And that in 1996, 23 years ago and still no one has really come close in the vastness of choice and world building as Daggerfall.
Kys retard.

Daggerfall is the ultimate pleb filter.

Attached: 1538172147914.png (621x929, 138K)

if they stopped feature creeping it would've been done a while back, I give it a couple of months

A video that talks about you.

youtube.com/watch?v=6YIme0559do

Dungeons could be legit terrible and the map was god awful, this has nothing to do with casuals.

t.34 yo boomer who bought a 16 page special edition of the local pc games mag back then in anticipation hype for daggerfalls release.

dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/roadmap/

Pre-alpha 0.791, The final release will be probably this year.

And the will continue working on VR and Multiplayer.

Attached: Immersive-Movement-Daggerfall-Unity-_-VR-Daggerfall_-Some-early-tests.webm (640x360, 2.96M)

>procedurally generated content

it sucks now and it sucked back then.
Morrowind is literally the only good Elder Scrolls game and thats in spite of its design not because of it. Kirkbride was the only decent thing going for the series.

im still waiting for lycantropy to be fully implement this May

And here's a video for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=46gaz6veVNQ

they are fixing the dungeons and map dummy and I'm not a boomer, fucking zoomer moron

And by the way, Starfield will have procedurally generated content, so are you telling me that you are going against Bethesda's current plans?

Who is this faggot that keeps posting Daggerfall Unity videos from this user called galactic chicken on Yea Forums for the last few years?

Is this a proper reverse-engineering project to keep it 100% faithful (outside of optional visual upgrades) or just someone reusing the files but in Unity and just 'remaking' it as they move along?

It´s faithful to the original, and you have optional mods to add more content (overhaul graphics, 3d models, quest, etc).

Attached: Look that BIG fucking city 3.0.jpg (1920x1080, 430K)

Attached: Jumping increase.webm (1920x1080, 2.67M)

Attached: jump in Sentinel.webm (1920x1080, 2.61M)

This I can get behind then since RE'ing is an extensively time consuming but very appreciable task.

Cringe. Fuck off back to r*ddit, you corporate cocksock.

Procedural generation actually appeals to both the old timers and whoever likes the newer games. The only people left out are you middle ground faggots.

t. town camper

Daggerfall is the best TES game but the zoomers who always try to "fix" it are just the worst. They miss the point of the game entirely.

And what is that??

>more = better
Daggerfall is clunky. Those 1200 people in a city are background that have no personality. The map is huge for the sake of being huge and is randomly generated and full of nothing

They should port it to openMW engine instead

seething

Large cities with copy pasted houses, guilds, and NPCs isn't very fun for me.
Like it's cool the scale is built on, but you cant really appreciate it in any meaningful way. You have no reason to walk into the nearby mountains and look down on the town, there's nothing out there, no random animals or enemies, no roads to follow, nothing like that.

You mean people who want meaningfully crafted content?

Does it have multiplayer? I had a blast playing tes3mp with my bud

Neither is 5 building cities where one NPC talks about a district consisting of 2 houses and 3 people.

Proper scaling is probably more important in these type of games. I can guarantee you Starfield will have Radiant this and Radiant that and planets not handcrafted.

Sounds like shit to be honest.

I have far more fun with 5 building cities with long engaging questlines unique to that city, and NPCs that have their own personalities rather than being copy-pasted husks that are the same every city you go in.
Daggerfall is large but soulless.

Is he using some sorta smoothing algo for roads? I don't recall Daggerfall having those diagonal bits.

Skyrim people have personalities?

Also, map is huge and full of Towns, houses, temples, cemetery and dungeons.

Attached: dEvolution of TES.jpg (2472x3080, 1.93M)

I don't and neither do many others. We will always ridicule their scale until they either 1. hire 1000 more content creators, or 2. start using procedural generation or strategic macro immersion.

This is the truth right here

Attached: 1548238537460.gif (286x400, 2.78M)

the procedural generation method and seeds are all the same
so it has the same city, house, and dungeon layouts as the original

Morrowind > Daggerfall

Attached: 1488924786434.png (604x438, 242K)

Dude, this is a Daggerfall Unity thread, there are road, wild life and dungeon exterior mods.

Attached: Warm Ashes Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors.jpg (1360x2296, 514K)

Name one large space game with handcrafted everything. Yeah, thought so, because it's close to impossible.

It's basically for time management. Not every guild can be found in every town, but all quests have time limits, and unless you have reached the high ranks, your guild will demote you if you don't complete quests for them periodically. So basically they send you to somewhere in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, and you might not have enough time to travel back to city from where you started. You have to stop by nearby places and ask around to learn where to find the closest local guildhouse.

That said it would be glorious if modders could sprinkle some non-faction static quests to different locations.

Demented turd. Zoom yourself back to whatever shithole you came from, faggot.

Starfield will be just a copy of Outer wilds, though

Looks great but my autism prevents me from playing it until it's 100% complete so I guess I'll keep waiting.

Attached: image.gif (540x540, 558K)

Attached: Daggerfeel.jpg (577x168, 35K)

Enough people praise the depth of Bethesda's cities (When they're not utter shit like Fallout 4's sole city) that I doubt they'll change anything up, and people are perfectly content with the size of Bethesda worlds too, I doubt anyone would want to trade current handcrafted world maps for a procedurally generated world like Daggerfall where you're meant to fast travel everywhere.

Show me some road mods.
That's one thing I really want to see for some reason.

Then Todd straight up lied to us about it being the biggest and most epic space game.

Holy shit, it is like watching a beautiful flower wither and die.
I'm going to cry.

>click on your pic to read the greentext
>hover the mouse on the replies to read them
am I retarded?

I don't understand why you autists are so hellbent on everything being detailed to the bone in a massive open world. TES would be so much better if it had some filler content here and there. Say twice as many NPCs who say some genetic lines and a few buildings either with copypasted interiors or permalocked (saved for modders to make content for them).

No, you're too immersed. Take a quick walk away from the compy and return

It's disingenuous to post the full dungeon for Morrowind with proper layout and interconnections, but not do the same for Oblivion and Skyrim. Honesty would not change the point much, so why cheat?

Attached: dungeons.jpg (2000x2000, 1.27M)

>TES would be so much better if it had some filler content here and there
We already have that and it's SHIT.
No one enjoys radiant quests, and that's Bethesda's most recent attempt at procedural filler content.

>I doubt anyone would want to trade current handcrafted world maps for a procedurally generated world like Daggerfall where you're meant to fast travel everywhere.
I would in a heartbeat. I liked handcrafted worlds when I was a kid and didn't know better, but in matters of potential alone Procedural Generation will always have the upper hand.
Insisting on handcrafted worlds is like the rider that doesn't want to quit its horse when cars are available. For gaming to reach its next level, it needs to embrace Procedural Generation fully.

Handcrafted worlds are an outdated concept, hindering the advancement of the game industry.

Check Daggerfall workshop forum, Release mods and creator corner.

forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=49

Attached: Daggerfall Castle.png (3840x2160, 4M)

>We already have that and it's SHIT.
You mean it's an amazing, timeless and well-thoughtout compromise? Almost every other RPG uses this technique to create scale and they haven't had to deal with tiny ass cities for decades.

Open world and small scale simply don't go hand-in-hand.

Skyrim still straight line dungeons.

Attached: 1528774719809.jpg (440x409, 14K)

Yeah, many if not most of them are. Doesn't mean it's fair to leave out all but one section when you make a comparison pic however.

It's not a full-on port, he's remaking things as he goes, but the intention is to be as faithful as possible. Every "upgrade" is optional, with the only obvious exception being the terrain height generation.

>Procedural Generation will always have the upper hand.
It's true. When AI and these programs that can generate content get more advanced humans will be left with cleaning.

that's actually solid advice, thanks

Attached: Daggerfall Maze.png (1396x679, 357K)

The greatest video game of all time. Julian was a a God. Only game that beats it is tabletop DND with all White friends who have gfs or wives at home

>Size=/=epicness

now post blackreach and forgotten valley maps you cherrypicking faggot

Attributes were a trash design. Skyrim's Perks are vastly superior.

Can we stop with this unity bullshit?
just because you make a good game in 3D with HDR and bloom doesn't make it superior or good, all trash stuff that nobody will play more than 30m

Any Perk to levitate or climb?

Attached: 1544905966242.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Huh. I didn't realize Daggerfall's interiors were just a series of pre-fab environments. Figured it was individual tiles of geometry in a grid-like manner, not entire rooms.

Attached: Daggerfall dungeon.jpg (1920x1200, 537K)

It goes from single rooms and corridors to entire sets of connected rooms. It varies in size, but it's never just tiles.

Yeah, progression in real life is also achieved through 25% jumps.

What's with all the floating single rooms and snakey-ramps in space? maze teleports?

And yet Skyrim has far and away the best dungeons in the series. Even somehow all being straight lines supposedly it beats the living fuck out of morrowind;s

Procedural generation. Sometimes there are teleports, but usually these can't be reached. It's annoying when there's one near you with an enemy who won't let you sleep.

I think we can´t see the connection because of the distances, but yes, there are portal gates in Daggerfall Dungeons.

Lol

Attached: 1521416251644.jpg (1920x1080, 333K)

Ideally you'd have both. Attributes for the boring '+% damage' increases and perks for the 'unlock a new attack' stuff

there is lots of additional functionality over vanilla daggerfall, graphics aside.
don't get mad because people are posting the flashy stuff.

Diablo 2 has better, more complex and more procedurally generated dungeons than 3.

Attached: Daggerfall 3D Trees.webm (640x360, 2.97M)

Based and redpilled

HIRE

Even more than entire rooms, Daggerfall's dungeons are built by what's internally called "blocks" and each block could easily have been a full dungeon in and of itself. In terms of scope, all blocks are squares and identical in size, but they can vary greatly in terms of vertical space used. Every block has two doors on each of its four sides, and those doors always line up with each other when you place any two blocks adjacent.

Because every block has those doors I mentioned, any block that isn't fully surrounded by more blocks will have doors that open into nothingness Daggerfall solves this by having a set of what's called "border blocks" which are used to seal off all adjacent blocks. A border block is a block which ONLY consists of tiny floating rooms at each edge, placed right over the doors on the edges. Border blocks have these rooms on all four edges so that they can be placed and rotated in any way while still sealing off all four adjacent blocks. The rooms on the unused edges end up as just inaccessible floating rooms. Every Daggerfall dungeon has them. Border blocks don't have quest spawn points defined anywhere so they aren't necessary to access, but as said they still have generic enemies that spawn which can make scary noises and prevent resting.

To give you a sense of scale, Privateer's Hold (Daggerfall's starter dungeon) consists of just ONE block, with border blocks on all four edges. Your average Daggerfall dungeon has 2-4, and even the largest ones in the game like the capital dungeons are just 6-7 blocks. is a fan-made dungeon with 30 blocks + borders, far larger than anything in vanilla.

The absolute irony of this post

I can see why they would go with that setup, since in the era of 486 computers, RAM was at a premium. Having pre-fab rooms they can store X of in memory and then just adjust where they're placed/rotated/copied is easier to budget.

It will have multiplayer

Where is based soon poster?

Attached: Daggerfall Winter.jpg (1920x1200, 429K)

do you have more comfy Daggerfall screenshots?

I'm unironically more hyped for this then any other game release this year

If your perk is "[modify numerical value]" it's shit design

Same!

Attached: Daggerfall.jpg (1908x1082, 328K)

Attached: DF test7.png (1360x768, 1.5M)

Why would anyone care about making the worst TES game,possibly worst game ever any genre, look less ugly?

Yes the have been filtering out the pleb tiers devs since Daggerfall.
Every game improves over the last by leap and bounds.

Attached: Daggerfallforest.jpg (1920x1080, 352K)

Imagine being this big of a noob. It baffles my mind how any human could be so proudly ignorant

>t.Todd

I'm a dummy casual, will I be able to play and enjoy Daggerfall Unity when it comes out?

>deepest
>one of the most intricate
as someone with hundreds of hours in the game I can't wait for DFU to be finished so people will actually start playing daggerfall instead of just reading about it so they can see just how completely wrong that is. great game but miles away from anything that can be called "deep" or "intricate"

it's a total mishmash of unfinished and half-baked features, but it just has so damn much that it's hard to not be charmed by it nonetheless. it's quantity over quality to such a degree that the huge quantiy becomes a sort of quality. the feeling that you might be the first and only person to have ever walked into some homestead in an out of the way region is something that simply can't be replicated in smaller games.

A third of Daggerfalls skills are useless.
It is not my fault I grew up with competent developers and not in the dark age of gaming.
Thanks for beta testing the industry for us though.

Yes, there are multiple quality of life additions and fixes being added

Attached: THIS HAPPEND 2.jpg (1920x1080, 197K)

>if it isnt meta then it's useless
>roleplaying??? Wtf is that?

Attached: ZzKHfyS.png (1920x1080, 3.62M)

Thisisn't about useless in the meta this is about useless as in useless.
> What about roleplaying?
Fair point.I may want to roleplay as a moron who picks useless skills.

The only redeeming thing from Dagerfall are the books.
Everything else is complete and utter shit.

>A third of Daggerfalls skills are useless.
Until people mod the shit out of this game.

t. play as bard in D&D sessions.

Attached: df3.jpg (1750x995, 1.03M)

One thing I'd really like for Daggerfall Unity to have is a mod that makes all dungeons not randomized shit. The opening dungeon and a few others were fully designed by Bethesda and they remain the literal best parts of Daggerfall, so it'd be great if all the other ones were just as developed too.
Probably daunting as shit but it'd be feasible if a bunch of modders got together to assemble everything.

Attached: Daggerfall night 2.jpg (1920x1200, 255K)

The game is randomly generated souless trash, literally anyone who still says this game is good is a contrarian.

Attached: 3dtrees.jpg (1920x1080, 307K)

>the developer of the game is a contrarian

Tried to play it, but I don't know if it's in the base game, but I was able to steal 4 horses from a wardrobe

Did he finally fix the werewolf/wereboar shit? I ain't playing until I can be a werewolf

Daggerfall is an rpg, the point is to be able to play whatever character you wish. Daggerfall allows you to do that. What you say is useless may be considered useful for someone trying to play a specific character.

Jesus Christ, I think my pants tore apart
Daggerfall VR sounds fucking amazing

>B-b-ut the developer told me it was a good game!

Attached: (you).png (645x729, 59K)

I think it would be complete the next month..

They've included a slider for the dungeons you can adjust how tame or crazy they get

Attached: Dagger nights.png (1920x1080, 1.15M)

wrong Morrowind is, i found coming back to Daggerfall to be more player friendly than TES 3

That's becuase daggerfall is a better game

Nah it's always been a bunch of half-assembled lego parts that get smashed together every which way. Even the ones that are actually designed and not randomized are like this, the random generator uses their non-key assets in creating dungeons.

Also, it's a lot easier to program for semi-shitty programmers

t. semi-shitty programmer

I suppose you could want to play a completely useless character.
Too each his own.

Tell me how your linguist char does.

>it needs to embrace Procedural Generation fully.
This. They need to if they want to improve on procedural generation techniques. Imagine if all that neural network tech starts bleeding into procedural generation.

whenever i play a TES game I mod it so the weather has a 50% chance of being overcast 50% chance of raining, is it possible to do the same here?

The truism holds your first TES is always special.
Sad old fags are mad they got Daggerfall and are trying to convince themselves they didn't get the short end of the stick.
Buck old timers you had it better than Arena fags at least.

Are you a grimdark player?

Why the fuck do people do fan projects like this?

You know you're getting a cease and desist.

i just like the rain

I wish your mom got a cease and desist before she shat you out

Looks like shit

Every time i try to play Skyrimjob again I remember the shitty dungeons and quests. No one has ever fixed them. Morrowind however has tons of dungeon mods that extends vanilla dungeons to be more like Daggerfall, with more loot, encounters, and new types of enemies. There's even one that extends ALL tombs to be more like like dungeons instead of just one or two graves.

Bethesda gives Daggerfall out for free, why would they C&D people for modding it?

>bring up objective faults about old game
>LE ZOOMZOOM XD
I hate this board

fpbp

Attached: 1496815061206.png (665x1176, 131K)

bump

Minecraft sure is shaping up

You can set the weather with console.

>objective

I dont think that word means what you think it means

seethe harder

>bring up objective faults about old game

Is ramdom generated shit Derp DeRp

>the city is giant square
lmao

looks like minecraft with a texture pack

What about all the bugs it has?