How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong

It's out. The full article can be read here:

archive.is/h5wze
kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

This account of Anthem’s development, based on interviews with 19 people who either worked on the game or adjacent to it (all of whom were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about Anthem’s development), is a story of indecision and mismanagement. It’s a story of technical failings, as EA’s Frostbite engine continued to make life miserable for many of BioWare’s developers, and understaffed departments struggled to serve their team’s needs. It’s a story of two studios, one in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and another in Austin, Texas, that grew resentful toward one another thanks to a tense, lopsided relationship. It’s a story of a video game that was in development for nearly seven years but didn’t enter production until the final 18 months, thanks to big narrative reboots, major design overhauls, and a leadership team said to be unable to provide a consistent vision and unwilling to listen to feedback.

Attached: 1.jpg (1100x619, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/h5wze
blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/
kotaku.com/video/3661215?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Kotaku&jwsource=cl
web.archive.org/web/20060517235354/http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/recent updates/archive?news_id=290
youtube.com/watch?v=HpEXL91kMyU
youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Was going to be called Beyond until a week before announcement when they changed it to Anthem which is utterly meaningless

Hahahahaha

Anthem is a much better name than beyond desu

It might be if Anthem actually meant anything to anyone
It sounds like the name of a rhythm game and they really didnt explain it well enough in the announcement to keep it anyone's mind

This is what happens when your company is made up entirely of diversity hires.

literally the only good part of the game

The game references a thing called "the anthem of creation" which can corrupt ciphers and make them go mad, making it more relevant than beyond

Beyond sounds like the name of a generic indie game to me

I don't get how Kotaku is usually so shit but also has legitimately pretty good articles like these every once in a while.

>It's out
What the fuck is out?
Some post on Kotaku? You think everyone waited excitedely for some zoomer to teach us why this game being shit is completely different from every other game being shit?

>a video game that was in development for nearly seven years but didn’t enter production until the final 18 months

like what the fuck is going on? ignoring bioware's fuck up, what the fuck was EA doing during those 5 years the game was in the planning phase? where's the oversight? i mean, they're writing huge checks to bioware for years and years with nothing to show. that's a huge red flag that should have been addressed a lot earlier

>archive.is/h5wze
Cool, thanks
Really interesting read

>we just write checks and video games happen, right?
You honestly think EA gives a shit about video games beyond the profit they bring in? Bioware was huge when they got bought, and as far as the higher ups were concerned they didn't start failing to deliver until andromeda.

>Fans have speculated endlessly as to how Anthem went so awry. Was it originally a single-player role-playing game, like BioWare’s previous titles? Did EA force BioWare to make a Destiny clone? Did they strip out all of the good missions to sell later as downloadable content? Is the loot system secretly driven by an elaborate AI system that keeps track of everything you do so it can get you to spend more money on the game?
>The answer to all of those questions is no.

I still don't understand why they released this half-assed game. Almost no one was hyped for Anthem. It's not Madden or FIFA or CoD where legions of casuals will buy the game and keep spending money on it no matter how shit it is. Anthem's a new IP and a game no one asked for. If you don't hook people in immediately, they're going to leave. Anthem is a ghost town, it was panned by critics and players, and the game and BioWare is forever tarnished all because they didn't want to wait one more year to release a game that isn't complete shit.

Don't worry. Dragon Age 4 will save Bioware. EA will cancel the 2 shots to the back of the head.

This, OP is shill. Interesting article though lol.

>What the fuck is out?
Article written by Jason Schreier (aka, one of the rare game journalists worth their salt, ironically working at Kotaku) detailing how Bioware fucked up Anthem. Asking hypothetical questions and acting nonchalant doesn't impress anyone.

Have they dissolved Bioware yet?

>legions of casuals will buy the game and keep spending money on it no matter how shit it is
It worked for Destiny. Twice.

damage control already out

>This, OP is shill
That's exactly why I linked you to the archived page: so you wouldn't sperg out about me shilling for Kotaku or whatever.

>thing is popular
>we want money from thing
That's the entire thought process from start to finish.

Seriously though, who gives a shit. The only retards that actually thought this would be good are the kind of morons who wait with baited breath for some idiotic kotaku expose.

Just a funny way to put it lol, as if anyone here actually heard of this coming out before right now

shush, Jason

People would probably have gotten it mixed up with the David Cage game.

>Many say they or their co-workers had to take “stress leave”—a doctor-mandated period of weeks or even months worth of vacation for their mental health. One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. “People were so angry and sad all the time,” they said. Said another: “Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”
>“I actually cannot count the amount of ‘stress casualties’ we had on Mass Effect: Andromeda or Anthem,” said a third former BioWare developer in an email. “A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.”

wtf is wrong with game companys and game developers

>It’s a story
>It’s a story
>It’s a story
cringe

Attached: yikes.jpg (916x1280, 271K)

>Within the studio, there’s a term called “BioWare magic.” It’s a belief that no matter how rough a game’s production might be, things will always come together in the final months.

LITERALLY CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP

because no website is defined by one writer. Sometimes people get trapped on a bad site, or b ad people on a good site. Unfortuantely gawker pays pretty well, especially if your work tends to be something people would visit the site for explicitly.

>Was going to be called Beyond until a week before announcement when they changed it to Anthem which is utterly meaningless

That part isn't true, but the game was called Anthem for at least six months before release.

>a video game that was in development for nearly seven years but didn’t enter production until the final 18 months

Management is used to franchises, not new or one-off games, but they still apply their practices like it were a franchise where they can just reuse the same engine, same assets and change/add/subtract a few things like a gamemode or whatever.

source: I'm a tester at ea

>mfw ea keeps stringing along bioware's disintegrating corpse to the amusement of everyone not stupid enough to believe that bioware as it once was still exists

Attached: 1290605610715.png (379x314, 15K)

The salt is amazing

Attached: 441.jpg (680x471, 34K)

>One mandate from Anthem's directors had been to make the game "unmemeable" a reaction to Mass Effect: Andromeda's jittery facial animations which became an internet joke in the days leading up to that game's release
bwahahahah

That's fine and stuff, but we all know that no-one in management will be punished

A stale turd certainly is unmemeable.

>try to make the game unmemeable
>the entire game ends up a meme

Pottery

Can someone explain to me why Drew Karpyshyn and Casey Hudson willingly returned to EA's Bioware? If what's described in the article are real working conditions i would run away and never looked back

I guess developers heard "unmemorable" instead.

If Kotaku hates it, that means it’s good.

They technically succeeded. As opposed to being remembered and forever kept in the consciousness of the world, anthem, in due time, will be forgotten entirely because it's so forgettable and bland that no one who plays it even has the creative forethought to make memes.

m8 I want you to take a second and think about the sheer majority of all creative works ever that don't fall under your "title needs to make immediate sense" guideline.

Also one writer could be good at putting out pieces like this once in a while and the out out clickbait the rest of the year.

Why would DA4 be good after DA2 and DAI?

Money

who thought bioware story telling and animations would be good in a online looter shooter

>We’d like to take a moment to address an article published this morning about BioWare, and Anthem’s development. First and foremost, we wholeheartedly stand behind every current and former member of our team that worked on the game, including leadership. It takes a massive amount of effort, energy and dedication to make any game, and making Anthem would not have been possible without every single one of their efforts. We chose not to comment or participate in this story because we felt there was an unfair focus on specific team members and leaders, who did their absolute best to bring this totally new idea to fans. We didn’t want to be part of something that was attempting to bring them down as individuals. We respect them all, and we built this game as a team.

That's also valid, I'm a bit more hopeful for the world though.

>worth their salt
If by that you mean blatantly biased in favor of developers over both publishers and consumers, yeah.

>We put a great emphasis on our workplace culture in our studios. The health and well-being of our team members is something we take very seriously. We have built a new leadership team over the last couple of years, starting with Casey Hudson as our GM in 2017, which has helped us make big steps to improve studio culture and our creative focus. We hear the criticisms that were raised by the people in the piece today, and we’re looking at that alongside feedback that we receive in our internal team surveys. We put a lot of focus on better planning to avoid “crunch time,” and it was not a major topic of feedback in our internal postmortems. Making games, especially new IP, will always be one of the hardest entertainment challenges. We do everything we can to try and make it healthy and stress-free, but we also know there is always room to improve.
>As a studio and a team, we accept all criticisms that will come our way for the games we make, especially from our players. The creative process is often difficult. The struggles and challenges of making video games are very real. But the reward of putting something we created into the hands of our players is amazing. People in this industry put so much passion and energy into making something fun. We don’t see the value in tearing down one another, or one another’s work. We don’t believe articles that do that are making our industry and craft better.
>Our full focus is on our players and continuing to make Anthem everything it can be for our community. Thank you to our fans for your support – we do what we do for you.

bioware's response
kek

Because those were good and it will be following suit.

WARDEN WHERE?

Why don’t AAA devs just spend less on marketing and more on competent programmers. Then you won’t have to spend so much to trick the public to thinking the game is good.

>“They were like, ‘We needed [Dragon Age: Inquisition] to fail in order for people to realize that this isn’t the right way to make games.’”
Games journos sucking off bribes cause bad work environments, but of course they won't understand this.

There are plenty of other places that can afford their salaries. Jade Raymond was made VP in Google recently. Drew Karpyshyn obviously cares little about the money as he leaves, returns and then leaves again to write his books. Casey Hudson worked in Google for a while after leaving Bioware

Except no one, prior to playing or hearing about the game, could know anything about what the Anthem of Creation is.
Mass Effect already sounds like the name of a sci-fi adventure or something scientific at the very least
Dragon Age is evidently fantasy
Without the context for what the Anthem of Creation is, without any context whatsoever, if someone told you they were playing a game called Anthem, what genre would you assume it was?

Because deadlines and release dates and marketing matter WAY more in the eyes of a publisher than the actual quality of a game,.
It's the belief of Publishers that hype and marketing drive game sales, not quality
Which, to a point, they're right to think

>it felt half-baked, like it hadn’t been play-tested and tweaked enough by developers with experience playing other loot shooters
I mean in their defense this also describes Destiny exactly.

>Frostbite

can we just admit that this is the root of the problem? when developers are forced to use such a fucked and clunky engine, it strains the entire team. artists are constantly told to redo their work because their assets don't meet the stupid fucking limitations of the engine that constantly change. programmers are constantly told to redo their work because some dumb part of the engine won't be compatible with one line of code that breaks everything for no reason. game designers are told to redo all their work because it turns out the engine is a clusterfuck and can't actually have those two systems communicating. management is then put into a constant impossible choice situation of "delay and hope they can fix" or "force it through and hope it'll be fine" when neither option will ever happen.

Frostbite was great when it was just DICE's small initial team working on it. Whoever at EA decided to make Frostbite 2.0 standard across all developers should be hanged. No one, not even DICE, knows how to use Frostbite 2.0. And they fucking invented it.

Because marketing is sadly how people find your game. It's a catch 22 because if you don't advertise your game, it ends up sitting on some new releases list for a week, then disappearing forever. See: 95% of steam games.

Also it's publishers spending the marketing money. The devs just don't have hostile/harsh enough work environments. May sound counterintuitive but everyone's too afraid to be a dick and say "Hey we need this done today, quit fucking around", so everyone just procrastinates and ends up at a point where you have to have "crunch time" of 100 hours a week just to put out a shit product.

Yes all titles should just be literal descriptions of the game or genre.

>Developers still at the studio say that under Casey Hudson, rather than start from scratch yet again, the next Dragon Age will be built on Anthem’s codebase”
Lmfao Dragon Age DoA

I'm not saying the title doesnt make sense
I'm saying it literally doesn't mean anything to anyone.
Anthem of Creation doesn't even make sense IN the game because it's not like it's a song or even some particularly special energy wave or some shit.
My point is the name actually entices NO emotion from most people, whereas a word like 'Beyond', as generic as it is, will at least make people think of things like exploration

Less return on investment. They've just been trying to figure out how little they can spend on actual development and they finally found it.

>Beyond

thats a terrible name for an AAA game

Attached: 20091004beyond01.jpg (550x556, 104K)

no one anywhere in the last 10 years has used the title of a game to determine whether they were interested. Youtube makes it so easy to find footage that it's an irrelevant argument. I get what you're saying but it's not how 99.99999% of people think. They literally say "anthem game" into their phone and siri or alexa or cortana or the fucking google assistant pulls up 80 gorillion eons of footage for them to peruse. A name is just a fucking name, sometimes. It doesn't have to have deeper meaning, or convey anything.

I warned you Yea Forums. I warned you of the male virgin Freelancer.

Its a shame because the game is graphically good. The level designers and the texture artists did very well, environmental artists deserve praise too. The take away from this is the guy who created the javelin's has to much greebels on it, but that is countered by the customization which is quite good. The abilities can be fun to.

That said, litterally everything else is shit. the story is shit. the gameplay is shit. the progression is shit. the items are shit. everything about it, other than the (broadly) art, is shit. Fucking garbage. Its such a god damn shame that the people who took such time into the art and design get fucked by some clowns who cant design a good game, a good story.

No, but they should act as something of a clue or advertisement for the game, a sort of summary of what the game is about.
The issue is even greater since "Anthem of Creation" is a bad name to even describe the phenomena in game, so it translate to being a bad title too

Lmao even dev knows their own game was shit but game journo eat that shit up

Tbh that's not a bad stance to take. Publishers are garbage and consumers don't know what they want half the time, though generally it should be consumers > devs > publishers

>“Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails—it’s poorly documented, hacked together, and so on—with all the problems of an externally sourced engine,”
THE POWER OF SWEDEN LMAO

You're digging. A lot of titles don't mean anything until you read/watch/play the media. I didn't buy Anthem but I do know the machine has components around the world that are like sci-fi speakers you have to shut down, so sound isn't totally irrelevant.

Do you think if Halo was a shit game anyone would have thought that was a good title?

>Around the same time, Electronic Arts executive Patrick Söderlund, to whom BioWare’s leadership reported, played the Anthem Christmas demo. According to three people familiar with what happened, he told BioWare that it was unacceptable. (Söderlund did not respond to a request for comment.) He was particularly disappointed by the graphics. “He said, ‘This is not what you had promised to me as a game,’” said one person who was there. Then, those developers said, Söderlund summoned a group of high-level BioWare staff to fly out to Stockholm, Sweden and meet with developers at DICE, the studio behind Battlefield and Frostbite. (DICE would later bring in a strike team to help BioWare work out Frostbite kinks and make Anthem look prettier.)

>Now it was time for a new build. “What began was six weeks of pretty significant crunch to do a demo specifically for Patrick Söderlund,” said one member of the team. They overhauled the art, knowing that the best way to impress Söderlund would be to make a demo that looked as pretty as possible. And, after some heated arguments, the Anthem team decided to put flying back in.

Bioware will be dead by 2020 i mean completely gone
now the name stands for failure and not quality thats not something EA wants

>They couldn't talk about Destiny because upper management would get booty blasted at the mere mention of the game

kek

Attached: photo_2019-02-10_03-08-06.jpg (1200x600, 83K)

I understand your point but when I say "biased", I mean it. He'll give credit where it isn't due and blame consumers for shit that wasn't their fault. He isn't legitimate.

Pretty sure the idea of the Anthem of Creation is just a copypaste of Tolkien’s Silmarillion, the Song of Eru or whatever it’s called

Before announcement, not before release

Tell this anecdote to everyone who says their job drives them crazy. Because this job literally causes mental illness.

>They actually took flying out.
what the actual fuck? Patrick was right, the only thing the game had going for it was graphics. Imagine if he didnt speak up?

This is hilarious and finally the predicts we were making back in 2012 are coming to fruition. Yet another studio dead because of a focus on diversity and SJWs

Well they've succeeded, I can't think of a single Anthem meme

Flying is boring and garbage though, it completely removed all environmental interaction via traversal.

Whats this we shit, kid?

>worth of vacation for their mental health. One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. “People were so angry and sad all the time,” they said. Said another: “Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”

maybe hire normal people and no mentaly ill sjw

Wasn’t the main draw of frostbite the environmental destruction? Why use it for games that don’t have that

That's not how things work, kid. Back to plebbit with you

OH NONONONO

NO

TELL ME IT ISNT TRUE

Attached: diversity hires made this.jpg (800x1547, 264K)

>Many say they or their co-workers had to take “stress leave”—a doctor-mandated period of weeks or even months worth of vacation for their mental health. One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. “People were so angry and sad all the time,” they said. Said another: “Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”

Holy fuck, leftists are so weak lmao

>be a shill site
>shill for big bloated corporate cock
>cock goes limp due to shitty game
>damage control for them
>retarded zoomer on Yea Forums thinks these are good articles because omg they think just like us!

I pity the golem and goys

>we were found out

But thats wrong, you retard. Flying is what set the marginal game apart. Otherwise you would be a slower destiny in third person. Terrible. The map is huge, you don't want to spend literal 30 fucking minutes going from one place to another, all you would do is replace it with fast travel.

Fuck man.

They did a great job.
The game is so bland and devoid of personality, I could never make a decent meme out of it.

Hi shill. Kotaku will never admit it was caused by diversity.

Summary of the article

>game got shitpanned from devs leaving
>FUCK frostbite
>patrick sonderland is a cuck
>dragon age 4 will use anthems codebase
>bioware "magic" no longer works
>please wait for Anthem: The Taken King in a year

hopefully they turn it around I guess

DAI was already made on frostbite

Flying was cool, but none of the enemies and the bosses were actually designed with flying in mind.

It's a shame they didn't call it that, maybe it'd have had a sequel called "Beyond 2: Souls" and then Peter Molyneux would have sued.

>what's wrong with game companies
Nothing, the employees signed a contract.

Because it wasn't. The game is pure mismanagement and terrible design choices from the getgo.
If you are a massive pleb, which you most likely are if you use buzzwords and words to appear cool among your peers, then there is no help for you. Just off yourself and leave adults do the discussion.

>>FUCK frostbite
Frostbite is just fine though, its a beautiful engine that is clearly capable of a wide range of products.

Sounds like fags are unable to cope. Although, in house engines do have a lack of documentation, but thats part and parcel of the game.

>Frostbite is the problem

Every engine can sometimes be a bitch to work with but weirdly only Bioware seems to have a problem with Frostbite. Blackbox has no issue with it, whoever is printing out those yearly Madden and FIFA games obviously has no problem with it, Criterion managed to squeeze in a stupid brake-to-drift model into the engine too.

So what was Bioware using before the switch to Frostbite? Unreal fucking engine fucking 3. UE3 is one of the bitchiest and most broken engines ever released and they made the ME trilogy on that. It's almost like all the skilled devs fleeing Bioware is a bigger problem than using a more modern engine.

Attached: hrbldrbl.png (568x394, 319K)

desu I’d be depressed too if I was involved with making anthem

i actually felt some pity reading this post. very low frequency vibration coming from it.

You'd feel like that too working for EA I guarantee

>dragon age 4 will use anthems codebase
WOW it's fucked

Dice has no problem with it either.

normal people don't work in the video game industry, they find real jobs that are meaningful and don't produce incel shit

Well they did make the engine so that's to be expected.

they can turn it around adding romances

You are a retard, the world was completely redesigned for flight after they were forced to put it in and keep it in. They literally had to change the entire world space to accommodate flight. World size, run speed and traversal would have been completely different prior to the change.

How does it feel knowing you're on par with Söderlund? A man who was impressed with flight not because of the mechanics, but because the game looks pretty while flying.

Attached: 1552160862743.png (400x382, 175K)

Where would you put anthem on a list of most disappointing games?

I'd put at 4

Attached: 1550763394753.jpg (400x400, 19K)

>pretty much all the same issues ME:A had
>but it's big bad EA's fault, guys, not BioWare's

You could replace all mentions of Anthem with ME:A and this article would be almost identical to the one he wrote about ME:A

>Frostbite is just fine though, its a beautiful engine that is clearly capable of a wide range of products.
They literally say throughout the article that Frostbite isn't even capable of a basic save/load state by default without bruteforcing it into the codebase. It's pretty obvious why DICE didn't bother with campaigns for their games for years if that's the case.

Except a lot of them do, especially if they're standalone IPs when they're introduced
Again, I'll use other Bioware games:
Dragon Age: Dragons at least tip you off that this game is probably fantasy in genre
Mass Effect: Mass is a scientific term, so you can at least guess that this is either a physics simulator or a sci-fi game in some form or other.
The issue is that if I hear Anthem, my immediate thought is going to be that it's some sort of rhythm game
Even titles like Halo or Bioshock illicit some mystery and intrigue.

>Among those who work or have worked at BioWare, there’s a belief that something drastic needs to change. Many at the company now grumble that the success of 2014’s Dragon Age: Inquisition was one of the worst things that could have happened to them. The third Dragon Age, which won Game of the Year at the 2014 Game Awards, was the result of a brutal production process plagued by indecision and technical challenges. It was mostly built over the course of its final year, which led to lengthy crunch hours and lots of exhaustion. “Some of the people in Edmonton were so burnt out,” said one former BioWare developer. “They were like, ‘We needed [Dragon Age: Inquisition] to fail in order for people to realize that this isn’t the right way to make games.’”

I hope this part right here gets retweeted and circulates all over reddit and Facebook. Jesus, this really has needed to be said from someone who can give a first hand account. I'm glad someone came forward and said it.

This article is so good I didn't even feel bad about giving Kotaku a click. Quality journalism.

Not true at all.

Oh yeah, this game existed.

>a complete lesson in exactly what not to do
>don't fucking talk about it
Solid management strategy, let's see if it pays off.

I'm not that bad at CS to end up working with trannies.

>Halo
Halo had more of a religious meaning than representing a ring world.

>They literally say throughout the article that Frostbite isn't even capable of a basic save/load state by default without bruteforcing it into the codebase.

Fake and gay, as they did it with DA:I, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Literally interviewed 0.5% of the company wrote a 12,000 word hitpiece.

>theres a video in the article
>be curious and click on it
>gets confused when a half male half female voice blasts into my earbuds
>realise its the reporter himself, Jason Schreier speaking and he sounds 150% s.o.y
>he literally almost sounds like a woman

jesus whats wrong with america?

is it the water?

kotaku.com/video/3661215?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Kotaku&jwsource=cl

Attached: gif-guy-blinking-surprise-reaction-meme-twitter-OfX.png (640x360, 63K)

Yet Black Box's NFS: The Run and all the brake-to-drift stuff Criterion made afterwards had no real engine issues.
Aside from Rivals being a fucked up PC port even though the earlier Hot Pursuit was totally fine. But yes, keep blaming the engine that apparently supports racing games, sports games, and shooters with no real issues.
It couldn't possibly be that Bioware losing their skilled devs is the real problem.

like a third of the article was complaining about how the mandated use of frostbite fucked them over, and forcing them to release before the fiscal year
bioware is still at fault for sure but EA still plays a big role in making problems for them
there's a reason every studio EA acquires becomes shittier and shittier before eventually being closed

Not him but they constantly pushed to hire people who weren't qualified but met requirements they put infront of themselves.

And almost everyone interviewed talks about frostbite being too hard to work, it's gotta have something to do with it.

Get back to work, Mr Soderlund.

probably had more to do with HRT treatments than work desu

>You are a retard, the world was completely redesigned for flight after they were forced to put it in and keep it in. They literally had to change the entire world space to accommodate flight. World size, run speed and traversal would have been completely different prior to the change.

Dumb, as they had to do this before reveal. To much work. How does it feel that you are an actual retard?

I hate how Yea Forums knows nothing about engine : According to you people, devs should use ONE engine as its never the engine's fault.
Same way you will always see people on Yea Forums defending Skyrim engine.

BioWare struggled with Frostbite with ME:A too, and this is mentioned in the article Schreier wrote about that game

butt ugly npcs

Didn't he just take a bit bonus and quit before BFV? I wish I had them smarts.

>bioware having such a hard time with frostbite
>literally nobody else does
Sounds like they are a bunch of fucking retards.

The fuck are you talking about user?

Didn't work for bungie, and they made the fucking game

Nice non-comment.

He's made himself his own studio and poached a bunch of DICE staff bored of EA's antics. Gonna be interesting to see what they get up to.

I hope this kills Bioware. I work in an office near their Edmonton branch and often go to the same café that their employees frequent. Heaps of faggots work there.

Attached: 1525898650238.jpg (635x1024, 132K)

Soderlund took the money and ran, the madman

Could have just as easily called it "Creation of beyond" or something.
Both names were stupid.

Anthem of the Beyond.

normally i might agree with you, but the talent at Bioware left a long, LONG time ago. Frostbite HAS resulted in games that the retarded masses eat up, so this isnt the engines fault. The only people left at Bioware are diversity hires.

>Many of the features those developers had taken for granted in previous engines, like a save-load system and a third-person camera, simply did not exist in Frostbite, which meant that the Inquisition team had to build them all from scratch. Mass Effect: Andromeda ran into similar issues.

The devs sound genuinely incompetent if they struggled to program save/load and camera systems. No matter how bad or bare-bones an engine is, that's really basic shit that any programmer should be able to do

Attached: 1438700384311.jpg (334x393, 19K)

>A BIT ABOUT US

>Our quest begins in our unique building in the heart of Stockholm's Old Town.

>Founded by industry veterans Patrick Söderlund, Johan Andersson, Jenny Huldschiner, Robert Runesson, Magnus Nordin and Stefan Strandberg.

>Partnered with Nexon, we are a startup unlike most. We are working on several game projects and our technical platform, and we are building our core team now.
about-image

Spot the poison pill!

Bungie themselves are another perfect lesson in the dangers of hubris and just being fucking retarded. A lesson that Bioware again failed to heed.

>and a third-person camera, simply did not exist in Frostbite
Literally battlefront 1 and 2. Fucking morons. Also DA:I, a game they fuckin worked on. Jesus fuck.

>it's a Yea Forums knows nothing about game engines or how they work episode

classic ep

Literally no one would've fought about halo being shooter with aliens without knowledge of it being it, fucking brainlet.

Aren't they still in the Terrace building, Atrium Cafe or something in the Delta next door?

>Nexon

Oh boy, CliffyB is going to get the last laugh, isn't he?

Bungie has done just fine, hell, they managed to extract themselves from activision.

Beyond the Anthem.

Because good programmers arent brown or women.

>"""""in dev for 7 years""""""
>anthem was actually shit out in 18 months

WHAT THE FUCK

HOW IS THIS SHIT NOT DOWNRIGHT ILLEGAL

F U C K YOU BIOWARE

yeah boiiiii, thats fast as fuccccck.

I'm still amazed activision just let them walk away with destiny.

>The story started changing drastically, too. In early 2015, veteran Dragon Age writer David Gaider moved over to Anthem, and his version of the story looked a lot different than the ideas with which they’d been experimenting for the past few years. Gaider’s style was traditional BioWare—big, complicated villains; ancient alien artifacts; and so on—which rankled some of the developers who were hoping for something more subtle. “There was a lot of resistance from the team who just didn’t want to see a sci-fi Dragon Age, I guess,” said one developer. Added a second: “A lot of people were like, ‘Why are we telling the same story? Let’s do something different.’”

You know it's bad when even your own developers had enough of template story.

Attached: bioware storytelling.jpg (1280x793, 326K)

They managed to pay Activision to fuck off for the low price of a hundred million dollars because they shit the bed so hard with D2. The extremely powerful corporate Jews at Activblizz didn't walk away from the easy D3 payday because they thought it was going to be a huge success.

They didn't walk for free.

Its because they WERE incompetent user. If you hire people based on how dark their skin is or their lack of a weiner then you're not really looking at actual talent.

i work in vidya(kind of) and the crunch is insane. if there's large gaming events like gamescom, people will literally work 12-16hrs a day with one day off in a whole month. i saw people pass out, sleep on the floor in venues, get infections because they didn't have time to go to the doctor's etc etc. vidya is pretty much the worst white collar field to work in.

Attached: 1234622197370.png (296x277, 4K)

Clownworld? I think this is clownworld.

For all of Activision's cuntishness, they seem to be pretty on the level when it comes to second-party relations (Vicarious Visions, Bungie, FromSoft)

Sure, but they got to leave with it in hand. I suppose it speaks to how terrible D2 is but I would have expected activision to hold onto the IP with a death grip.

VV is a subsidiary.

Bioware BTFO

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-02 Jason Schreier on Twitter.png (640x438, 56K)

.>Jason's tweet to the Bioware blog post

Attached: 1553948488018.jpg (750x552, 191K)

Is it? Well, shit, I thought they were their own thing.

Bungie most likely gave them boatloads of money, and they have clearly been at odds with activation day one. The box shop was a clear afterthought, and you could earn anything from it quite easily.

After bungie went rogue with forsaken in how it handles not only end game but cosmetics, activision was pissed. bungie clearly told them they would sell a gorllion copys to make up for the loss of the cash shop, but that was never going to happen even though they sold a metric fuckton of that dlc, along with the pass with the mini dlc. Freed from the shackles of activision, they actually created a good DLC, a taken king. a complete fucking experience.

you would be hard pressed to find any rpg or fictional narrative that doesn't follow that format in the pic

>almost hard to believe

Attached: 1456203314035.jpg (712x712, 42K)

All of the recent FIFA and Madden games and every NFS game since and including NFS: The Run are on Frostbite. All have some form of a 3rd person camera.

Also, let's realistically think about their alternatives:
1.)Stay on UE3 which they used for the ME trilogy
UE3 is a pretty barebones and quite broken engine but it's old so all the necessary tools were already made by previous Bioware employees. However releasing a UE3 game in 2019 just wouldn't fly.

2.)Use UE4. It's also pretty barebones and about as difficult to work with as Frostbite but with worse performance due to lacking real DX12 support. Still no fucking async shaders in 2019.

3.)Beg Bethesda for Creation or IdTech 6. Both are decent engines but Bethesda is unlikely to agree to lend their engines to a direct competitor in the RPG space.

4.)Beg CDPR for RedEngine 3. Stupid idea, the engine isn't even that good. For 2015 it was decently optimised with some neat tricks but the entire world is pretty static and aside from specially marked "movable"(or aardable) objects shit is just nailed to the ground.

5.)Unity
A perfect engine for Bioware's skill level honestly. However EA probably wouldn't be happy making Unity games.

They were talking about DA:I development. Didn't that game release before battlefront?

tl;dr

Is Bioware finally finished?

>I would have expected activision to hold onto the IP with a death grip
I did as well until they announced all of 2018 and 2019 were not expected to be profitable for the Destiny franchise. At that point even if they wrangled it from the hands of Bungie in court what would they do with it? It's not like it's a franchise that has any worth outside of Bungie's hands.

Nope they're Actvision owned and actually did a substantial portion of the work on Destiny 2 mostly for the PC port but also for Forsaken.

>They were actually wounded by this

Attached: 1509314825602.png (326x313, 62K)

I don´t get it. The game sold extremely well for have bad it was. It even had a couple of bootlickers twitchfaggots, gamejournos sites and biodrones on their side. Did anything really go wrong with it? Or is it because that it didn´t turn into the next Fortnite or Apex that it failed? I mean they should be fucking happy how dumb people were and that they earned back their investment with evena little winnings on top.

It should have crashed and burned, but no game can fail in this brain dead era when you got triple AAA backing.

Probably not, maybe if they really miss the sales target, we will know in May, after the earnings call

>Unity engine
Not even once. People keep spouting that the engine is capable of greatness, but everything that comes out of it is a massive turd.

>because they shit the bed so hard with D2.
Except they didnt, at all. It was a huge financial success. Bungie didnt go the lootbox way that the rest of the world was going with at the time, and activation told bungie that they had to make it up with sales. That was never going to happen, hence while activision was pissed at forsakens sales even though it is literally the highest DLC ever sold on playstation, bar none.

Bungie is banking on itself, unconstrained by a company that wants them to deliver half experiences, which is a smart move imo. Activision sees it as a loser.

Time will tell.

Electronic Arts

>sold extremely well

it sold less than ME: A or even Destiny

EA wants every studio to have its own 'Fifa Ultimate Team' that they can milk insane amounts of money from.

>The game sold extremely well for have bad it was
Has it? Don't believe we have the numbers

It damaged their brand really hard. With Andromeda at least they could salvage it by saying "it's not the main studio", but this time it will not work.

>dai should have failed
Yeah it should have, not because of what they say but because how fucking shit it was.

this is a live service game and theres hardly anyone left playing

>what would they do with it?
I dunno, sit on it? There's a bunch of IPs publishers won't do anything with yet refuse to sell/hand off because they think they might be able to capitalize on them later.

Unity is very easy to work with and can help novice game devs make something functional.
Sure, there's a ton of crap mage using Unity but there are also a few pretty decent indie games like ICEY for example.

So I guess in the progressive strategy, maintaining power over the narrative through "journalism" beats out manipulative power via "be kind" messaging. I'll give it to Bethesda's PR team though. They are very savvy with their method of attack.

If the new Dragon Age flops it's definitely done

Attached: vpadjusted.png (1440x1241, 504K)

Reminder that if a game doesn't flash the unity logo as required with the free license you probably don't realize how many games are made with it.

So much useless blabber. Typical american womp womp. TL;DR reality check - diversity hires and fags were not able to do the job they were hired for, all while being socially inept retards - everything stems from this, from lack of communication to "not enough dev time" to poor QA and so on and so forth. eat shit and die retards.

>adjusting
nah. Flat $20, no exceptions.

Even with a million buyers, you can make a profit. Remember that it is a service game. How many dumbasses do you think bought loot crates/skins? Enough that they are constantly releasing new stuff.

>Ori
>Cuphead
>Hollow Knight
>Furi
>massive turds
Terrible taste

Attached: 1531149037062.png (720x720, 629K)

>Beg Bethesda for Creation Engine

creation is a VERY dated engine now. It shows in FO76, full of bugs and visually subpar for 2018/9

>He don´t think Dragon Age is going to build up the hype again for bioware and make Ahthem be forget and forgive
Normalfaggots don´t hold grudges as well as incels and neckbeards. And the target is normalfaggots.

People don't even realise these were made with Unity because they didn't use the free version.

>not adjusting
You are not even human. Change is permanent. Be better than the animal who dies from change.

>“The root cause of all this was that lack of vision,” said one former BioWare developer. “What are we making? Please tell us. The recurring theme was there was no vision, there was no clarity, there was no single director saying, ‘This is how it all works together.’”
>Over the months, Anthem had begun naturally picking up ideas and mechanics from loot shooters like The Division and Destiny, although even mentioning the word Destiny was taboo at BioWare. (Diablo III was the preferred reference point.) A few people who worked on the game said that trying to make comparisons to Destiny would elicit negative reactions from studio leadership. “We were told quite definitively, ‘This isn’t Destiny,’” said one developer. “But it kind of is.
>“Anthem is the game you get from a studio that is at war with itself,” said one former BioWare developer. “Edmonton understandably has the perspective of, ‘We are the original BioWare.’ Anybody not part of that brand is lesser, and does not garner the same level of trust as people that are in the Edmonton office. And so I think that’s a little bit of an issue there.”
What a disaster. They should have kept making RPGs instead. Nobody wanted another loot shooter

Attached: 1554131815480.jpg (544x836, 68K)

>flying back in
The only thing this shit game offered was LE FLYING LIKE IRONMAN, imagine if it released without that even.

As bad as gamebryo is I'd argue bethesda is at least 80% of the problem.

Yes, and it does not help that its ugly as sin do to how much res objects take up, which takes away from everything else.

ME: A made a profit too, and EA killed that

theres no way Anthem hits their target of X millions copies by Y month

>Borderlands 3 announcement
>FUCK YEAH
>RANDY IS THE BEST
>I KNEW IT WOULD BE GOOD
>NEW MUSCLE WAIFU IS HOT
>OH NO LILY IS UGLY BUT SIREN IS SO HOT
>WHO PLAYING OLD GAMES AGAIN
I know, hard to believe that Yea Forums can act 1:1 like reddit, but it happened.

>Nobody wanted another loot shooter
Fuck off normie, the division 2 is great.

I generally take employee accounts with a huge grain of salt. Everyone thinks incredibly highly of themselves, their viewpoint is always egocentric, and their ideas area always the perfect solution if only someone had listened to them. Bitch, if you were as great as you think you are then you wouldn't be locking yourself in a room to cry (instead of working) over the series of bad decisions that landed you a bad job and a mountain of debt.

>Bungie didnt go the lootbox way that the rest of the world was going with at the time, and activation told bungie that they had to make it up with sales.
Except they did and the game has had lootboxes in it since D1 which was Bungie's idea? Not to mention they were caught fixing XP gain to try and sell more of said lootboxes which is an EA tier scummy move. Activision was pissed at the lack of returning players that had been permanently alienated by the debacle that was year one. When you move several million copies on a platform and only get maybe a million players logging in for new stuff that looks like a lot of "easy" lost revenue.

>Bungie is banking on itself
A student of Bungie history would say that Bungie does it's worst work when it lacks a firm corporate overlord breathing gently down their neck.

I mean they could but it's not like Destiny had the kind of brand recognition that will make for an amazing reboot in 10 years.

You know your game is trash when the name is rushed and meaningless.

i wonder how long until ea offs bioware. or even worse pivots them to fifa

Thats because gearbox knows their audience. People who like boarderlands wanted more borderlands. More guns. More locations. More missions. No gimmicks like TPS.

Its simple, and it will succeed due to that simplicity.

It had nothing to do with that though. And everything to do with just making a turd of a game.

To be fair, Anthem is a better name, but it's really going from a 2/10 mobile game name to a 4/10 name for an attempted Spotify competitor app
It's a really vague, pointlessly grandiose name that tells you virtually nothing about the game or what it's about

Good god, has a game EVER died this quickly?

>Yea Forums is one person
that's the point you zoomer fag. it's not an echochamber, one thread praises one thread hates, everybody can say whatever they fucking what how many times they want it. it's called freedom you autistic commie filth. kys you son of a bitch

so.......just like Destiny?

What is it with EAs obsession with Frostbite? The janky piece of shit doesn't work well for anything that isn't a linear FPS.

>but if it looks pretty normies will buy it
Fucking hell

Why do I have to read anything? I know why it went wrong. I knew how it would go wrong ages ago. I knew when sites like that dumb were telling me to preorder and get hype for the season pass that it would be a dogshit game, because guess what? Its an EA game.

If there is anyone on Yea Forums still buying EA games I hope you get fucked by a lawnmower. You are the cancer killing this industry.

Attached: 1554158103140.png (788x424, 485K)

battleborn? That other one that everyone laughed at?
Valve's card game thing?

>I generally take employee accounts with a huge grain of salt. Everyone thinks incredibly highly of themselves, their viewpoint is always egocentric
That's mentioned, basically it sounds like nobody was in charge who called the shots.
>“They were still finding the vision for the game,” said a second. “I saw multiple presentations given to the entire studio trying to define what Anthem was about. The Hollywood elevator pitch version of Anthem: ‘When we talk about Anthem, what we mean is X.’ I saw many, many variations of that over time, and that was indicative of how much conflict there was over trying to find a vision for this game, and over how many people were struggling to have their vision become the one that won out.”
You definitely need one to-go guy that calls the shots for huge projects

Attached: 1541189285493.jpg (267x242, 25K)

People hating on Borderlands is in the minority, and people hate it only cause muh cuck anthoney meme.

Saving money on licensing fees.

yeah but Destiny is made by the Halo devs, bro! Halo's fucking awesome dude, come on lets go buy a copy right now senpai

How bioware's anthem REALLY went wrong:
It's horribly generic trash that never would be able to deliver on the fantasy it proposed.

This should be a surprise to nobody. I instantly recognized it as going to be garbage the second i saw it at E3. It's just generic robot suit shooter that's so fucking boring and overdone these days, and the game would never be able to actually be large open world with freedom to do what you want when the game is centered around fast flying robot suits. It's literally impossible in our current day and age for a game to be large open world with freedom with no load screens while you move at a fast speed and the game looks graphically beautiful at the same time. It's simply not feasible no current systems can handle something like that outside of a high end PC.

>Creation
Creation is literally a gamebryo which is older than you.

they own frostbite so they dont have to pay someone else a share

if they use Unreal Engine for example, Unreal takes a cut of the profit IIRC

>Even when they did figure out what was happening, it felt to BioWare Austin staff like they were the grunts. Developers who worked both in Austin and Edmonton say the messaging was that Edmonton would come up with the vision and Austin would execute on it, which caused tension between the two studios. BioWare Austin developers recall offering feedback only to get dismissed or ignored by BioWare Edmonton’s senior leadership team, a process that was particularly frustrating for those who had already shipped a big online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and learned from its mistakes. One developer described it as a culture clash between a group of developers in Edmonton who were used to making single-player box product games and a group of developers in Austin who knew how to make online service games.
>“We’d tell them, ‘This is not going to work. Look, these [story] things you’re doing, it’s gonna split up the player experience,’” said an Austin developer. “We’d already been through all of it with The Old Republic. We knew what it was like when players felt like they were getting rushed through story missions, because other players were on their headsets going, ‘C’mon cmon, let’s go.’ So we knew all these things, and we’d bring it up repeatedly, and we were ignored.”
Great work environment!

maybe, but they still do. it's a reason, a good one for some a bad one for others and by seeing those threads, this chink forum is not an echochamber

So, you need a Kojima?

>Schrier
Nah.

Attached: 1545848442743.jpg (1217x1089, 500K)

Artifact

absolutely, utterly, completely based

>this chink forum is not an echochamber
Well now, let us not fucking suck our own cock here. It is a lot of the times. Is just you are not censored for your contrarian posts like the other sites.

No, someone who knows what he's doing.

Kojima is literally the worst possible example you could have chosen.

>for anything that isn't a linear FPS
Battlefield didn't even have singleplayer campaigns for a while and focuses on large maps and big servers
>linear FPS
Need for Speed games
>linear FPS
FIFA and Madden games(it's not like they got better or worse by switching to Frostbite, they're basically the same)
>linear FPS
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
>linear FPS
Imagine being this wrong and covering for Bioware being shit by blaming a perfectly usable engine.

Attached: k.png (1920x1080, 2.92M)

>Except they did and the game has had lootboxes in it since D1 which was Bungie's idea?
False, the store in D1 was very clearly and very deliberately marketed as a way to support the devs more. Nothing in it was unique. In D2, and with activation, this broadly changed.

>XP gain
Clearly a activation move, to promote the new eververse.

>Activision was pissed at the lack of returning players that had been permanently alienated by the debacle that was year one.
Wrong, Activision was pissed that the eververse store was gutted and the changes to the XP which gutted it more.

>When you move several million copies on a platform and only get maybe a million players logging in for new stuff that looks like a lot of "easy" lost revenue.

Forsaken has done over 3 million.

Attached: statistics.jpg (501x294, 11K)

Lawbreakers

>Bioware so cucked even Basedhreier is bitch-checking them
LOL

unreal is free so they get a cut
if they used an engine like cryengine and just paid the flat licensing fee it would be better for larger games but still theoretically money lost. If you think that the same game can be made regardless of engine it makes sense that you'd use the one you have and skip the fees but EA is not known for being smart.

still baffling that Valve is responsible for that Battleborn-tier flop

Attached: 1512507452142.gif (550x400, 212K)

It's just Jason, fucker's opinions are as retarded as the rest of the staff but he's proven his sources.

Not really considering valve does fuck all these days.

Source 2 is literally Source which is literally GoldSource which is literally the Quake engine which is older than you.

And yet skilled devs can make good games on both without constantly crying about the engine.

I don't think this is strictly a Bioware problem. The industry is plagued with this sort of shit and EA is particularly notorious for it. How many times have they gotten in trouble for not paying employees overtime? Shit, didn't they lay off over like 350 people in the past year.

Source was written from scratch, fucking imbecile.

Cheaper to make your own engine and have all your games run on it, like Unreal. This only works if the engine can be used for multiple game types though, EA's response when it doesn't seems to be
>just make it work

being P2P and too complicated to watch well on Twitch killed it

people dont get interested enough to pay the $20 or whatever it was

hearthstone is built like a mobile game and its very simple to understand visually

>imagine shilling for EA over anything else

> We chose not to comment or participate in this story because we felt there was an unfair focus on specific team members and leaders, who did their absolute best to bring this totally new idea to fans.
NIGGA WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING NOW?

Attached: 1551300639804.jpg (331x351, 12K)

You know that they hire freelancers that can at least pretend to do their work every once in a while when their credit is all time low right? Only problem is that everyone knew that Athem was fucked up from day one and no one really needed or asked why. It is obvious and a very easy piece.

That's a big no, chief.

>The game was still in pre production when the E3 gameplay reveal dropped

Holy fucking shit

web.archive.org/web/20060517235354/http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/recent updates/archive?news_id=290

"There are still bits of early Quake code in Half Life 2".

Shit like this is why it's no wonder game devs want to form a union and i really support that idea.

I mean i like my games to come out in timely fashion but fucking hell so many of these companies are so devoid of any soul or humanity that they work the employees like dogs and it's disgusting.

? It was tough to zoom out and get a feel for what it’d be like to play 40, 60, or 80 hours of Anthem when entire missions weren’t even finished. How could you tell if the loot drop rates were balanced when you couldn’t even play through the whole game? How could you assess whether the game felt grindy or repetitive when the story wasn’t even finished yet?

My god, they didn't even have time to test their own fucking endgame no wonder it feels like shit.

literally fake gameplay

it was ll a mockup and never actually existed

Complete bullshit hit piece. BioWare has nothing but the best interests of the employees in mind and the game is enjoyed by hundreds of people around the world. This shithead should be sued for all he’s worth.

>Nothing in it was unique. In D2, and with activation, this broadly changed.
There were only four unique items in it for all of D2's existence which were two weapon ornaments for two exotic weapons up until this most recent season when Bungie actually walked back several of the changes they made to make it more accessible post XP debacle and added unique cash only items to it. If Activision was the one pushing for more aggressive MTX they seem to have left a very firm impression.

>Clearly a activation move, to promote the new eververse.
I highly doubt this considering how things have developed since the split.

>Forsaken has done over 3 million.
Right across three platforms which equals roughly a million a piece.

>Not eating up Bioware's stupid excuses means you're shilling for EA
perfect logic.
But of course this is Yea Forums so
DEVELOPER GOOD
PUBLISHER BAD

It's not called "Halo" though, it's called "Halo: Combat Evolved"

What do most people think about when they think about combat?

This. It says outright In the article, more experienced devs were either trying g to save Andromeda or got put on FIFA. Meanwhile Bioware got the flunkies, and their leadership wasn't willing to listen to more experienced people because they were Bioware. It's arrogance, incompetence, hubris, denial. They drank their own Koolaid. "Bioware magic". Just work enough overtime and it'll be great.

Except Bioware games were always carried on their writing, and it explicits early on in the article no one wanted traditional Bioware writing and no one knew what they wanted the plot to be.

>People who made the engine and only make the one type of game it was built for have no issues with it.

Most E3 demos are completely fake but this is on another level

>game is enjoyed by hundreds of people around the world.
I chuckled

>hundreds of people around the world

Attached: mexico.jpg (435x308, 44K)

There's a goddamn ring world on the cover

>hundreds
The funny thing is that "hundreds" of people is insanely low for a AAA game so he might be right.

yes user that's the joke

Thatsthejoke.jpg

don´t you think that the real reason for anthems failure was that they filled up the company with docents of talentless women and minorities who have no experience or passion for making games and who only care about turning gaming into another sjw propaganda tool?
I mean did the game have even a single competent, masculine white male character? it was all just ugly women, gays and minorities form what I saw

>up until this most recent season when Bungie actually walked back several of the changes they made to make it more accessible
They have not, beyond adding more items completely able to be had though normal game play. Bright dust drops off of everything from notorious engrams you get, at the same rate as forsaken.

>I highly doubt this considering how things have developed since the split.
There is nothing strictly bought with money.

>Right across three platforms which equals roughly a million a piece.
Goalpost moving.

It's not immediately intuitive that you're looking at a Ringworld.

The guy is stupid though.

Fighting demons as an angel.

>people in the team wanted DA:I to fail to show people games shouldnt be made like this

LMAAAAAAAOOOOO

Attached: zilean-groovy.png (170x170, 19K)

> we placed a bit emphasis on workplace culture

Yeah and that’s why it fucking failed. You’re there to make a good game not to make sure everyone’s fee fees aren’t hurt when they’re working.

>One mandate from Anthem’s directors had been to make the game “unmemeable,” a reaction to Mass Effect: Andromeda‘s jittery facial animations
You can't make this shit up

imagine being this indoctrinated by /pol/

Attached: EFD5CB220BB045238F66D536766E308C.jpg (1500x1072, 267K)

i have no fucking clue why it didn't

I'm talking specifically about name, dumbass. No one would've thought about anthem being a "rhythm game" by looking at the cover either.

Well, you're wrong. We fight as the Demon and kill Aliens (Angels are ETs, by definition).

Also, Halo is a religious story, for the villains.

Anthem is a name that creates images of patriotism and nationalism in my head. being really proud of where you are from, so much that you are willing to fight for it.
really shocking too me that a leftwing company like bioware would have gone with that considering how much liberals hate the idea of patriotism or even nations in general

>I'm talking specifically about name
>doesn't talk about the actual name and instead some nickname.

Stupid ESL

You should see the division's trailer.

No. The real reason Anthem failed is because studio leadership had no idea what the fuck they wanted to do, which cascaded down to the programmers who stalled for years combined with the fact that Frostbite wasn't particularly well suited for making an RPG which led to them having to build entire systems from scratch because they weren't initially supported combined with the fact that they weren't receiving a ton of help with Frostbite from DICE because other EA studios who made more money took precedence.

It had nothing to do with minorities or trannies or women or twitter check marks. It's just the struggle of making a game with a studio that has no idea who they are anymore.

imagine being a Yea Forumsmblr cuck
why don´t you go back to your sjw invested hobby that is literally dying right now thanks to years of sjw propaganda?

>a serious game for serious gamers™

Attached: 1550427701101.jpg (558x558, 24K)

No one would have thought fucking anything looking at the cover. Its bland as shit.

>there are probably devs at Respawn that wanted Apex to fail so they wouldn't be eternally bound to a F2P battle royale game
>it didn't fail

Attached: 1546064467825.jpg (540x720, 33K)

>They have not, beyond adding more items completely able to be had though normal game play.
They removed the prismatic matrix and as I said added more cash only items.

>There is nothing strictly bought with money.
Except there are? There are now cash only cosmetics in every catagory including a ship, sparrow, ghost shell, new exotic weapon ornaments(these already existed), new legendary weapon ornaments, and emote.

>Goalpost moving.
Except I specified platform in my post talking about Forsaken numbers.
>When you move several million copies on a platform and only get maybe a million players logging in

>Make it so they don't make fun of our game!
not
>Make the fucking game work correctly

Attached: 1524050250443.jpg (582x528, 53K)

>leadership had no idea what the fuck they wanted to do
maybe that is because the leadership was also a bunch of diversity quotas who only go that position due to identity politics instead of merit.
also maybe the fact that the team was super diverse let to more conflict and people being less willing to sign of own a shared vision

jesus christ you're right lmao
fuck normies and fuck the industry

Maybe you think that because you're actually retarded.

That's a whole lot of words to simply say 'women'.

>apex's success is great news for the future of titanfall
>EA is just going to let respawn stop working on apex so they can make another entry in a series that's under performed in EA's books.
god I hate apex so much

Attached: 1381680138089.jpg (707x1234, 617K)

Comics dying has more to do with inherently convoluted continuity and the overall death of physical media than muh sjw boogeyman

Attached: IMG_20190327_115221_0.jpg (1986x1842, 1022K)

Good thing Apex is underpreforming by EA's impossibly high standards.

then how come that mangas and anti sjw comics sell like gangbusters?
comics only started to take a huge nose diver when sjws started to change all the old white male characters for women and minorities and started to censor all the old sexy costumes.

Sounds like you don’t know your history. Visceral Games also had the exact same issues with Frostbite. In fact every developer but DICE that has used Frostbite has complained about it.

>death of physical media
While manga is more alive than ever and soon will be more profitable than capeshit even in US.

Man that sounds absolutely horrible.
Someone needs to bomb EA.

>They removed the prismatic matrix and as I said added more cash only items.
>Except there are? There are now cash only cosmetics in every catagory including a ship, sparrow, ghost shell, new exotic weapon ornaments(these already existed), new legendary weapon ornaments, and emote.
Except, as stated, every item in the silver bundles can drop from your engrams. There is also a store where you can buy stuff with dust, whos stock rotates.

>Except I specified platform in my post talking about Forsaken numbers.
That is irrelevant to the conversation of total sales. Technically speaking there is far more people logging on daily than a million per platform.

>he actually thought it would be good
retard

He may be soiboi half tranny faggot, but he does do a good job reporting on industry insider stuff like this and has a pretty good track record covering leaks.

>boss, our F2P game that came out of nowhere was a super hit and made $92 million
>why didn't it make $92 billion?
>you're fired, close the studio down

see
And that guy is not even me. You dont know your history, sir.

Are you fucking serious?

Attached: 1542132655199.jpg (453x408, 74K)

>posting "game journalism"
you're worse than bioware.

Brainchad...

>Bioware desperately wanted Inquisition to fail to show EA and the leaders that this type of game making (long crunch hours) isn't feasable
>SJW's and trannies put the game on a pedistal as the best game ever while normies thought the game was boring as fuck
>Bioware's face when

KEKKKKKKK

Attached: 33481015d04b3974f9ed7acf616592901b13507ebdabf48ee1d6d09d63acc2c4.png (1070x601, 507K)

if it's muh death of physical media, why do I still read manga? why do anti-SJW western artists still make bank, selling physical media?

people don't read comics because they are shit
granted, convoluted continuities are a large part of WHY they are shit, though there's a lot more to it than that. hard to sum up my feeling on it in an off-the-cuff 4channel post

The worst thing is how they created a story around that stupid name to give it a meaning. Way to fuck up everything that was already written down. Damn I kinda want another ME someday but I have zero hopes with with shit going on.

he is right the more people are diverse the more conflict will occur

>every item in the silver bundles can drop from your engrams
No they literally can not. They're exclusive to the silver packages you can buy and even looking at the engrams will tell you this because they don't appear under potential drops. Bungie outright stated this in their announcement post for this season.

>Technically speaking there is far more people logging on daily than a million per platform.
What? There aren't even a million people logging in across all platforms anymore.

This is actual games journalism though, not "Top 10 Bulges in Fighting Games And Why They're Important to the Gay Community"

>Within the studio, there’s a term called “BioWare magic.”
>It’s a belief
>The BioWare magic would materialize

What?

Attached: 1543662386352.jpg (885x516, 40K)

I've said it ever since ME3 released and we got that absolutely horrible ending.

And I'll say it again thanks to Anthem

FUCK Casey Hudson.

We are only human after all

I still can't get over the idea that they threw out everything they had built from DA:I and Andromeda. Like, why the fuck would you do that from a practical standpoint when the engine is that difficult for you guys already? The desire "to be different" is nothing but bullshit pride and hubris. Christ, Bioware's leadership couldn't lead their own hands to their asshole.

See because that's exactly how EA actually operates. Apex didn't completely supplant and replace Fortnite along with making four billion dollars a month so it's a commercial failure compared to FIFA cardpacks.

Never underestimate people who have nothing better to do than dump hundreds of hours into MMO-tier fetch quests in an unimmersive single player game.

It's always fantastic to read about some Yea Forums faggot that thinks hes an expert in matters like these.
There is a HUGE difference between an engine that can look pretty, and one that can actually run well or do things a dev needs it to.
Reminder that back with DA:I Frostbite didn't even had a fucking SAVE FUNCTION which they had to hack into the engine themselves.
The engine is beyond bare bones and clearly only made for FPS and simple things period, hence why the sports games work well enough, but anything beyond that such as open world will function like garbage.

Attached: D28Gw2KXgAEQBEX.png (572x412, 309K)

You just gotta believe in yourself. That's the Bioware way. Fucking boomers are stuck in the 80s.

no one needs to read a bunch of bullshit from kotaku, we all know what is actually causing all these games to go wrong. leftists are hiring their buddies and converting a company thats supposed to make good games into a low effort product pumping mill fueled by talentless hacks who do no work giving their hot ideas and managerial decisions, all of it made profitable through microtransactions. and its not working anymore.

Attached: 1540611562242.png (1901x1100, 826K)

Manga is structured and sold in a way completely different from comics even if both are physical media.
Manga aren't making you buy cheap small form issues with ads that follow a story arc you need to go through three other different comics to understand

This is a cop out though. When you have multiple employees saying the same thing you have a real problem. None of the employees talk about how they personally could have saved the project, just that their concerns ended up matching fan concerns and that when they were brought to management they were dismissed. This happens all the time. I just left a company that was failing and refused to fix their problems despite both employees and clients continuously highlighting the exact same problems. Sometimes management is really shitty.

As for the anxiety and depression, that shit becomes very real when you actually are passionate about your work. Imagine actually really caring about what you’re doing but seeing fundamental flaws in what you’re working on. You bring those flaws to the people that can enact the change to fix them and they handwave you away. They do this every time. Then when the project doesn’t look good you get dumped on by management for that. You told management it wasn’t good and asked for help but they ignored you! Now imagine this happening every other day. Eventually you stop caring about the work but you still have to do it so every day becomes a meaningless exercise in abject failure. For creative and passionate people this type of environment is absolute hell.

Read the article, it's mostly EA fucking everything up for Bioware.

I mean hell, pulling devs from Anthem to work on FIFA? Come the fuck on EA. Sure the Bioware leaders were at fault a bit with their shitty "Bioware Magic" meme, but Anthem legitimately had a chance to be great if EA didn't put their dicks in the soup called Anthem at every turn

Respawn... had a hard life.

>tfw those comfy days exploring space with your friends on the normandy are long gone
>bioware slowly dying right in front of my eyes
>never have another mass effect ever again

It hurts

>never have another mass effect ever again
Maybe it's for the best.

>5 Origin™ coins have been deposited to your account

What did they even make? Army of Two and BattleField hardline, both shooters pretty similar to Battlefield games(one of them being an actual BF game). So the argument that Frostbite is only good for FPS and that some other magical superengine should've been used instead doesn't hold.

Also how do you go from "Visceral complained about it" to "literally everyone but DICE complained about it". Mind linking some sources because I couldn't really find anything. And developers complain about engines and dev tools all the fucking time. Fact is, almost every other developer has managed to create functional and decent games on the engine, or games that were as good as they were on another engine(like FIFA or Madden which were always the same game).

Tell me what other engine should Bioware have used for their games? Name at least one that they could realistically have licensed.
And if you think a team that complains about a 3rd person camera is skilled enough to make their own proprietary engine you're deluded.
pic unrelated

Attached: weird ship but ok.jpg (708x1000, 223K)

It really pisses me off that anthem is such a pile of shit. The customization is awesome, the movement system feels good, the abilities have the potential to be cool, but all that is wasted because the game has zero balance, a dogshit story that nobody gives a fuck about, worthless characters, and no variety.

I don't get it either. How can writing and shit even be that inconsistent when it was planned for so long? I get that EA fucks everything up and tells them to do something differently randomly years later but even then, what were they thinking?

And most of all: Why don't they get that games need to be good to make profit? I know EA only cares about the money, but if you do that you HAVE to know that your game needs to have a catchy atmosphere or story, consistency, a long enough development time to create the enviroment and feedback/common planning including the actual devs as well as EA overseers and shit.

>Manga
Ties into the convoluted continuity point. Say Joe Schmoe wants to start reading berserk or whatever, he picks up volume one and reads through them one by one until he's caught up. If the same guy wants to read Spiderman, or god forbid, Batman, he has 50+ years of comics, crossovers, reboots, etc. to sift through, and writing and art quality varies wildly. Manga is inherently more accessible than comics, not just plotwise, but physically. You go to a supermarket in Japan and pick up the latest shonen jump or whatever while you're checking out. For comics, you have to go to some weird store encrusted with Funko pops for a single issue. SJWs are literally the least of their problems.

Stop buying western garbage

There we have it, the anti-Pitchford

I DID read the article. It was nothing but Bioware heads thinking too highly of themselves and not actually doing anything for >>> FUCKING YEARS

>make endless loot 'n' gear up game
>no one there is good enough at math and programming to make a power curve function
>no one there is good enough at gameplay design to make the diablo loop fun in the first place

anthem deserves SWTOR levels of infamy. bioware are fucking beautiful and precious and memory of their incompetence should be preserved in vidya history for eternity.

My guess is rather that current BioWare has not one single programmer in it's team but a bunch of self taught unity/unreal plebs.

>When describing these early iterations of Anthem, developers have made comparisons to Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon, even Shadow of the Colossus. There would be big, scary creatures out in the world, and your job would be to see how long you could survive. One prototype allowed the player to attach themselves to a giant monster
>In these early versions, the idea was that you’d embark from a city and go out on expeditions with your friends, staying out in the world as long as you could survive. You’d use a robotic exosuit, and you’d fight monsters with melee and shooting attacks, but the focus was less on hoarding loot and more on seeing how long you could survive. One mission, for example, might take you and a squad to the center of a volcano, where you’d have to figure out why it was erupting, kill some creatures, and then fight your way back. “That was the main hook,” said an Anthem developer. "We’re going out as a team, going to try to accomplish something as a team, then come back and talk about it." Along the way, you could scavenge or salvage alien ships for parts and bring them back to your base in order to upgrade your weapons or enhance your suit.
sheeeeit

There are multiple original comics and most of them do not sell either.

The suicide rate drops lower than that of lgbt in general if they have do the full hrt and surgery. The graph is posted nearly every thread this comes up. Come on user.

This makes me giddy for what's gonna happen to Bioware. I don't know how much Anthem made but it's 100% not going to meet EA expectation for a game that's been in development for 7 FUCKING YEARS.

>sjws started to change all the old white male characters for women and minorities and started to censor all the old sexy costumes.
Comics were already dying long before 2014 user.
Every time sales start massively dropping they try making radical changes to attract readers again. But instead of killing off half the universe or rebooting everything into an "Ultimate" continuity they just made some people gay or black.
It's a symptom, not the cause.
At least X-23 as the new Wolverine is okay, all the other changes are as stupid as every "big change" that happens when sales drop.

>However releasing a UE3 game in 2019 just wouldn't fly.
I bet you don't even realise that there is still devs using UE3 to this day. MK11 being a brand new example. Heavy as fuck modified obviously, but you sort of have to.

>and about as difficult to work with as Frostbite
Source on this bold as fuck claim? Unlike you expert i obv never used frostbite so I can't tell, but I'm pretty sure that UE4, which was made for general as fuck use, can at least save a game properly without having to hack it into the code.

>Beg Bethesda for Creation
Absolutely pathetic

>However EA probably wouldn't be happy making Unity games.
What the fuck does this even mean? Have you seen ANY of the Unity tech demos over the years? Or do you even know how many HUGE publishers use it period?

>there is an alternate timeline where the marketing campaign pushes Anthem as the Dark Souls of multiplayer shooters

Attached: 1548077186941.jpg (480x640, 12K)

So why is Bioware still exist?
I thought Anthem was the end for them?

>tfw my dream as a kid was to make a video game like KOTOR
>tfw reading shit like this
Kinda glad mum steered me away, this shit sounds horrendous

Attached: 1550631169162.jpg (840x700, 96K)

Presumably if they don't get the game on track with it's first real expansion they're going to get the ax along with all future Anthem content.

>make the game in such a way that nobody can mock it!
>you mean make it good so people don't have things to criticize?
>no, I mean make it boring and forgettable so people won't even bother!

Attached: 94c1a022c5b28e9bd26ef99155dd0d1d.jpg (236x236, 10K)

Lel their original idea was a monster hunter / lost planet type game. Though even if they stick with that original idea, they would have made a shit game anyway and be under the shadow of fucking monster hunter world, which is a lot worse than being just under destiny and division

The engine was made with 1 type of game in mind and they are doing stupid shit like starting from the ground up with the code and systems to make other games from different genres

oh it is
this was the A-team not some studio with the bioware name slapped on it a la andromeda

>Bioware almost made AAA Risk of Rain 2

Jesus fuck Im mad.

you can literally make your own game right now. This is just AAA problems that will never affect you.

You're just lazy

Supposedly they are switching gears to working on Dragon Age 4, but don't hold your breath. EA might still be trying to assess the damage that was Anthem and may decide to shutter the studio completely in the coming weeks or months.

If Bioware makes it to December with no news of shutting down, then it's safe to assume they won't be closed. Right now it's still too early.

False.

As much as I hate Jason Schreier, this article was fantastic and really says A LOT about Bioware and EA. I don’t see the studio surviving much longer, I expect a ME Trilogy current gen release and Dragon Age 4, and that’s it.

Even then, his story was probably better than the one in the final product.

Wait, how does the article 'bring down' the employees who spoke to the press? If anything this brings down Bioware because it's exposed as a horrible employer. I hate this corporate doublespeak.

Yes, and Bioware almost made AAA No Man's Sky

>Schreier
yeah, I'm not believing one thing that comes out of that insect's mouth. fuck off.

Since when is manga anti-sjw? There's more diversity in manga than there's ever been in comics. There is no comic equivalent to Wandering Son or that manga about an intersexual kid growing up called IS.

So wait, Bioware A team has completely abandoned Anthem?

Only Bioware Austin (the team that made SWTOR) is working on Anthem post-launch while A-Team Bioware (casey hudson, etc) is now working on Dragon age 4?

What the FUCK?

Jason is a turbo faggot who is the most annoying person out there when he decides to pump his personal opinions into articles, but now and then he actually puts out really good articles

UE4 is freely available user. You can go download and start using it right now. You'll quickly realise that you'll probably have to make your own fucking map editor and that the package is lacking half the tools needed to actually make a game. All you're really getting is the base engine.

It wasn't made by RPG people though

Bioware is done i just want another mass effect

Attached: 1552432937252.jpg (704x400, 23K)

Jesus christ, this is such a shitstorm. EA should just pull the plug on them. They clearly have no idea what they're doing and their brand name is worth nothing now.

Attached: 1484641056hj.jpg (598x451, 76K)

Yeah, it was made by RTS people actually

>It's always fantastic to read about some Yea Forums faggot that thinks hes an expert in matters like these.
He said, before proceeding to talk out of his ass
>Reminder that back with DA:I Frostbite didn't even had a fucking SAVE FUNCTION which they had to hack into the engine themselves.
This isn't even has bad as you are desperately trying to make it seem. Different games SHOULD have game specific code for things like save systems and making one is trivial. Other studios seem to work just fine with Frostbite while Bioware struggles to the most basic things

Attached: 05af71e39c444e5e4b16da25cdc244aef5541874f7a888e6c29179e928a7e49a.png (900x675, 861K)

They don’t have the luxury of making another half-assed game, they need all manpower on the hext AAA project cause it could LITERALLY make or break the company.

From the followup paragraph it makes sense - invest in motion cap to fix the terrible error that turned people off of the previous game. But it's still fucking hilarious.

Attached: 1546973077975.png (1280x760, 839K)

Sci-fi MonHun could work pretty well, especially with flying involved. You could massive increase the scale of the thing you're killing and really expand on mechanics and rolls with power armor abilities in the mix.

Ace Combat 7 was developed in less than a year with just a few interns and some sake.

Western devs need to git gud.

Attached: ace-combat-7-3840x2160-poster-5k-e3-2017-14237.jpg (3840x2160, 815K)

>Bioware A team
The only good writer in Bioware, Gaider, left the company years ago.

Speaking of, hasn't the guy worked on any game since? Why?

Because this project was mismanaged all the way through until they managed to put something worth releasing even if not worth playing.

>but anything beyond that such as open world will function like garbage
He says, unaware that 4 open-world racing games have been made on the engine.

>game delayed by 2 years
>developed in less than a year

Attached: A fine addition.png (1226x690, 824K)

I found a photo of the director when he was told Andromeda had been memed.
Seriously, how ungodly retard do you have to be to actually have this as a concern? Every game, both good and bad, get made fun of.

Attached: Vq1MVT3.jpg (500x449, 28K)

Andromeda gameplay designer

Attached: kingcurry.png (497x295, 27K)

>"guys come join my secret club"
>"we're gonna make the Bob Dylan of vidya it will be the best game ever"
>"what's the game gonna be? uh..... space...... Iron Man..... ummmmmmm"
Fuck Casey Hudson and every other "director" that's just a dreaming autist without a single fucking original idea in their brains.

I don’t think that the problem was the crunch, it was the crunch coupled with technical issues, horrible mismanagement, and the constant hemorrhaging of experienced staff. Plenty of great games were made in short windows with fewer resources, but they probably weren’t headed by incompetent retards and shackled to a non functional engine.

Gaider good writer ... common

Attached: dgaider_smaller.png (160x165, 37K)

It was rebooted from scratch in December 2017.

Well there you go. You'd think they would have learned their lesson with Andromeda.
>Mfw EA's hubris will kill them

Attached: 1541905935293.jpg (441x535, 167K)

That guy is a literal mentally ill poo in loo. The fact that Bioware still hasn't ditched him says it all.

DA4 has been in development for a while, they can't just immediately kill them off.

>manveer heir

KILL ALL WHITE PEOPLE

FUCK DRUMPF

>At one point, for example, the leadership team realized that there was no place in the game to show off your gear, which was a problem for a game in which the long-term monetization was all based on cosmetics. You could spend money on fancy new outfits for your robot suit, but who would even see them? The game’s one city, Fort Tarsis, was privately instanced so that it could change for each player based on how much progress they’d made in the story. So the team brought on EA’s Motive studio in Montreal to build the Launch Bay, a last-minute addition to the game where you could hang out and show off your gear to strangers.

I always wondered about this, glad to see the article answer it.

They did ditch him and the entire studio he worked for. He is now "Fighting for a black & brown future".

>They came up with some artificial solutions to extend the campaign, like Challenges of the Legionnaires, a tedious, mandatory part of the main story that involves completing grindy quests in order to access tombs across the game’s world. (Originally, according to two BioWare developers, this mission included time gates that might force players to wait days to complete it all—fortunately, they changed this before launch. “That mission was controversial even within BioWare,” said one. “The reasoning was to definitely throttle player movement.”

Now that's a new low.

He's been gone for a while. Either before Andromeda flopped or after they axed that branch of Bioware.

Notice how ones the fuckers get burned out of the industry for being the parasites they are they immediately set up a gofundme or patreon to "fight the good fight"

Attached: 156425410891.jpg (996x682, 64K)

The time constrain was just one issue. Anthem is pretty much the nuclear bomb equivalent where there's just nothing to grasp on. What's the vision? I don't know. What's the main hook? I don't know. What's the story? I don't know, but it's like Destiny but you can't ever say it's like Destiny, but it's like -
The fact that they think "Bioware magic" was a fucking thing should tell you, these people have no idea what they're doing.

>Thank you for buying our game
>Now wait a few days before you get to play it.
Someone check for lead pipes in Bioware's drinking water.

>Early mock reviews—critical assessments provided by outside consultants—predicted that Anthem’s Metacritic score would land in the high 70s.

Why does EA keep doing this? They tried it with Warfighter and Battlefield Hardline and they both reviewed far lower than the mock metacritic scores.

This is making me giggle so hard. Even Bioware knows their games are shit and actively wants them to fail to force a company shake up, but they get just enough support from cucks and trannies to force them into perpetual crunch time. Which causes their diversity hires to become "stress causalities"

Attached: 1457184452653.jpg (613x1024, 92K)

I am so glad it bombed.

BTW let us mark the names of anyone who gave this game more than 50 points like destructoid

Attached: some_enids_by_superspoe_dcfbvsh-fullview.jpg (1024x878, 156K)

He is better than whoever wrote Anthem.

Imagine having to do this shit as a dev. Having so little content you have to go in 100% damage control mode and say "should we timegate the single-player content so it takes longer to get to endgame?". As big of a shitshow as Anthem as a whole is, that would've have been the biggest turd.

i did not play it so i cannot say but Gaider write one story again and agian

They can talk all they want about lack of vision, time crunch, and bad engines, but anyone else feel it was mostly a "yes men" problem where there wasn't anyone there with a spine to speak up about the issues?

>should we timegate the single-player content so it takes longer to get to endgame?
I like to imagine a dev saying this and without even fully understanding it at the time, breaking down in tears. Most of these devs just want to make fun games, stuff they grew up with, and then the harsh reality of AAA development truly kicks them in the balls.

You'd think Dutch van der Linde was in charge of this project
>Just you wait Arthur! That ol' Bioware Magic is going to kick in any day now!
>Dutch the game launches in 3 months and we've got 1 playable mission. We've cut so much content that the NPC dialogue doesn't make sense and we don't have the time for more recording session
>Aw have a little faith why don't ya?!

Just shut Bioware down lol, they fucking suck but it's fun laughing at their games

Radical Heights also flopped hard and killed the studio.

The leaders are too far up their own asses to be challenged. They likely ignored criticism because they believe in "bioware magic" or because they worked on Mass Effect, therefore they see themselves as some god-tier dev.
The fact that you couldn't even name fucking Destiny, the obvious main comparison, the game they should've been studying to see what works and what doesn't, speaks to a child-like cowardice and arrogance by the leaders.

Since they made a guy who only worked for the company for 16 months the project director I think you're on to something.

>op links a brilliantly written article by a trustworthy journalist explaining exactly why the game was such a clusterfuck
>some braindead poltard somehow still manages to make it about their boogeymen
learn to read, moron

Radical Heights was an attempt to save the studio, LB killed it. They literally threw RH together in a few months to try to capitalize on the BR fad.

kek
Pretty good comparison. Just keeping on believing. Inspiration will strike any moment and this will be the next Mass Effect hit franchise.

Attached: 2lyvfz.jpg (400x400, 22K)

Occasionally I'll catch a video of a gamer girl or someone who goes "I just LOVE Bioware. Dragon Age Inquisition is my favorite game and I'm having so much fun with Anthem and Fallout 76"

Like, why are some people just so fundamentally WRONG? I guarantee they are the same shitters who think Sekiro should be "accessible". They are like the ISIS of gaming.

Attached: a bomb.jpg (500x500, 61K)

Well, they succeeded, the game is so bland and boring no one bothered to make memes out of it.

it also won goty awards, cementing their fate

>or because they worked on Mass Effect
most people that worked on first ME are long, long gone

>People can't make fun of our game!
>You know what? They can't have fun IN the game either! That'll show them.

>empowered
That word does not belong in that sentence at all. How the fuck does a game engine make you feel empowered?

Sounds like literally the same story (((they))) wrote after Andromeda bombed.
It's expected that BioWare didn't learn a goddamn thing; why did consumers expect any thing else than a stinking turd?

You think they give a shit? Doesn't matter if they're the reason of the trainwreck that is ME3, they'll say and actually believe that they worked on Mass Effect, as in, plural. I've worked with people like this before. They go through some mental gymnastics to the point where they believe their own lie.

Quick video on the article.

youtube.com/watch?v=HpEXL91kMyU

That’s basically was lost planet 2 kinda minus the flyinng of course. Hopefully it is in the list of franchise that capcom wants to revived after being fucked by western dev and western shit taste back then and get fucked by shitty western reviewers

fuck off shill

This. I'll never understand why people think everyone stays at the same company. Those people who made baulder's gate, kotor, and me1 are long gone.

Attached: 1446993921594.jpg (1000x3719, 1.23M)

It worked tbqh, all the threads at the release window were just shitting on Bioware for being libs, I'd go in wanting to laugh at videos of the game being completely fucked and leave disappointed. It took a while for people to uncover how fundamentally fucking broken it is in ways that aren't immediately apparent like Andromeda's animations.

During and after Andromeda was released I read comment after commenting saying
>B-team made Andromeda, A-team will make Anthem shine
>Didn't you see the E3 trailer? It'll be amazing
>You don't like fun? Why are you such a downer, just shut up if all you're going to do is complain
And on and on until release and the problems became undeniable. Then they all stopped posting.

>“Some of the people in Edmonton were so burnt out,” said one former BioWare developer. “They were like, ‘We needed [Dragon Age: Inquisition] to fail in order for people to realize that this isn’t the right way to make games.’”

>W-we meant for the game to be bad!

>Trustworthy journalist
>Schreier

Good lord no, his sources are the ones on the level, and he wouldnt dare edit the words of the developers he fellates.

lmao I had similar situation in a studio filled with people who had little experience and no fucking idea what they were doing also writing new engine inhouse ~10 years ago

you'd expect better from veteran devs but
>bioshit

Attached: 1536245647016.jpg (1090x926, 97K)

>Article written by Jason Schreier (aka, one of the rare game journalists worth their salt
Jesus Christ, one day of /r/games being down and likes being added to Yea Forums and now we've got a fucking infestation.

Attached: 1515004788857.jpg (228x238, 13K)

The post you are replying to is obviously bait but Bioware's diversity hires genuinely seem to be a big problem. All the real talent that built the company left years ago and were replaced with people like pic related

Attached: c9d.jpg (1682x671, 303K)

That's why they always say that many cooks spoil the broth. There needs to be a clear team and vague as well as consistent vision of what a story and setting is supposed to be and you always only rewrite stuff to improve said story or make it more multi-layered, not rewrite the fucking whole thing all the time and restart with 0 every few years.

People were saying the exact same thing after Andromeda came out.

Because Austin is the only one with experience when it comes to online games. That being said reading this shit they should have just let Anthem be a Austin production instead of dividing it. It seems they were in the right but Ed just refused to listen.

That poo in the loo got fired after andromeda.

Attached: 1552090035017.png (349x294, 114K)

They are 100% right in that line of thinking. I cant believe how people are so easily misled and conned because of a fake hype machine and marketing. I 100% believe companies manipulate reddit with bots and sometimes moderators to drive sales.

they do, doesnt matter when the leads and project managenet are incompetent

>muh engine!!
yeah this is also exactly like Half-Life 1 because of the engine

Attached: file.png (640x360, 403K)

>blame the dominance of your species/race/gender
>species
Manveer confirmed not human

Attached: 1554135221199.jpg (667x645, 47K)

The Culling 2

Based as fuck. Fuck Jason Schrier

EA didn't get the full article before it was posted, they just bullet points and thought it was going to be a shit list

Funny thing is, you're not wrong. He actually does advocate for the death of all white people in his Twitter feed. But it's celebrated because he's a minority and progressive.

Don't hate Bioware, pity them. Hate EA.

There are no "new" types of story in fiction user.

Everything can be dissected into familiar pieces.

It's interesting to me that they view Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect 3 as successes, they are both very mediocre and full of problems.

He is better than whoever wrote every other romance in Inquisition.

Incorrect, hate both.

>Some who were working on Anthem say that’s when they started feeling like they were in trouble, like the game was screwed, like they would soon have to face the same sort of last-minute production crunch that their co-workers were suffering on Mass Effect: Andromeda. Yet word came down from leadership that everything would work out. It was time for BioWare magic. “You had to throw your prior knowledge out and either go on blind faith or just hope things were gonna turn out well,”
hot holy kek

Attached: 1554130977341.jpg (548x422, 18K)

nah they're both trash. I pity the individuals who work for them, but only to an extent

>it didn't enter development until the last 18 months

right, seems pretty convenient that ME:A had the same damn excuse.

>Dont learn from your peers mistakes
>Trust the heart of the cards instead
What could go wrong?

Attached: 1551975323035.jpg (850x1512, 63K)

He worked for Beamdog for a while, but quit since they weren't able to get an original game off the ground. Guy doesn't really have to work anymore given all the money he saved up from the years he spent as a lead.

>liking Jason schrier

Newfag or zoomer?

Well considering this is from the same studio and both games were in pre-production since 2012-2013 it makes sense.

>Bioware will die in your lifetime

>Bioware is already dead.

reddit refugee

lol what kind of world is this where kotaku btfo EA and BioWare?

also convenient that schreir gets to plagarize himself and write basically the same article twice.

The new world, the better world, the German world

>work on nothing since Cisquisition
>putz around for 5 years
>Andromeda flops so now all eyes are on the main studio to deliver
>"oh shit we were really supposed to be making this game?"
>rush out a turd in a year
>"please buy this upfront for $60 and we'll eventually release the other 80% of the game at some point in the future! games a service please understand"
What a shitshow of mismanagement and incompetence bioware is now.

Attached: 1547945038179.png (288x415, 135K)

If andromeda couldn't save the company, how the fuck would dragon age 4 do it? Bioware is finished

Wasn't he one of the most competent guys within the MEA team? Gameplay is apparently the best in the series.

Eh. It had better movement with the dash and jump, but some shit like controllable party members were taken out. The gameplay is more like one step forward half a step back kinda deal

>At E3 2017, BioWare announced that Anthem would launch in fall 2018. Behind the scenes, however, they had barely even implemented a single mission. And the drama was just getting worse.

Attached: 1553009328386.jpg (633x738, 85K)

>everyone knows the game is shit
>*ahem* "this game is shit"
>BASED
Fuck off retard, Jason Schreier is fucking soi-addled cancer. I'm surprise he was able to write this piece, tearing apart something that has been torn to pieces multiple times already would be "punching down" and problematic.

>Why don’t AAA devs just spend less on marketing and more on competent programmers

Marketing makes money, programmers don't.
A mediocre game with good marketing makes millions. A bad game with good marketing breaks even. A good game with good marketing makes billions.
A mediocre game with bad marketing loses money. A bad game with bad marketing loses a lot of money. A good game with bad marketing breaks even until the sequel.

So companies invest half their money into marketing and in all honesty they put more effort into the marketing itself than they do into the game, and they do this because consumers are braindead (and getting more and more braindead as we import more en masse from the 3rd world) and just buy whatever you tell them to buy.

I think I should point out that the English newspaper "The Guardian" has lined up with my personal opinions about a game more than any other review outlet. Pick a game you hate, but seemed to get unreal positive reviews from everywhere. You ask yourself "Wtf is this? The game sucks." Look at the Guardians review of it, I guarantee it jives with your own opinion.

When I played Super Mario Maker, and was totally underwhelmed by what a shallow, stupid game it was, when I wasn't having any fun with it, found it boring, the Guardian was the only review site I found that agreed with me. They do not do shill reviews over there. Look at the OP image. They give ANTHEM a score of 40, which it rightfully deserves. Then look at Destructoid give it a 70, which it doesn't deserve.

You can try this yourself, don't take my word for it. Whoever is over there running that Guardian is based af, and I've never seen anyone comment on it.

Attached: fake profile pic.jpg (183x275, 7K)

>You think they give a shit?
no, i don't. as you said, if they "worked" on it, they'll boast about it.

>gave inquisition a 4/5
>gave dark souls 2 and 3 a 5/5
Yeah no, they blew it already

>t.guardian shill

Work overload, internal conflicts, stress, lack of free time, maybe bad payment too, a lot of things. People always come up with /pol/ shit but this shit is pretty common for many jobs. I know so many people who had burnouts and depressions caused by their jobs and none of them were "trans" or pussies. It never happened at once, it's shit that happens over the years. I quit my last job too because I was too tired to deal with drama. Some bitches tried to bully me and I can deal with that and react to it but I am just too fucking much of a loner and lazy to waste my energy on all the fallout my reaction cause so I always just quit. But there are a lot of people who need the job or want to do something right and they always get fucked in the ass over the years. If it's already that bad in random office worker jobs I can only imagine how it is when you work for moneynazis like EA overseers.

Thanks user, I just checked out this The Guardian © website and it looks awesome!

>One mandate from Anthem's directors had been to make the game "unmemeable"
youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ

Attached: 1534091933718.png (500x380, 232K)

you got a link? i can't find it on their website

No you dumbasses I don't live in England, and I'm not shilling for them. If I observe something to be true over and over again, then I point it out, see if anybody else has had the same experience.

I wonder if they cut several cutscenes to avoid that

that sounds like a thing that only a place full of women would do

>However releasing a UE3 game in 2019 just wouldn't fly.
Rising Storm: Vietnam still uses UE3, and it's a pretty great game.

Someone should buy the ME IP and remake that shit properly.

He has a wife, do any of us? lol

No dice. EA keeps a death grip on IPs and assets, regardless of whether they actually want to make the game or if someone else does. Just look at Dawngate.

yeah, i do

Not a wife, a partner

>being kind of similar to this relatively popular game that's not really played by Bioware's core audience would be worse than directly competing against two giants that actively compete for the sort of player modern Bioware wants that are also both made by massively more competent teams

Attached: [visible confusion].gif (280x302, 3.75M)

Well, ME:A and Anthem should be a sufficient wake up call.

>Andromeda was made by a B-team!
>All of the experienced developers were trying to fix Andromeda!
>No it was Fifa who took all of the good devs!
Fuck off, you can't pull the same defence of "but it wasn't the REAL Bioware" twice.

Attached: 1478902648288.png (720x466, 373K)

alright you're fags now, congrats

>Jason Schreier (aka, one of the rare game journalists worth their salt
Jason Schreier, the one that Sargon of all people eviscerated? lol, he's a piece of shit.

This but unironically. I work in app development for a small app that's trying to become a big thing and let me tell you, the shit we go through due to idea guys and conflicts of interests in unbelievable. Not even in a "my job sucks and I don't want to get out of bed" way but a "I hope a fire burned everything to the ground overnight" kind of way.

Jason is a piece of shit but who is sargon? Some youtubber cuck?

>plot twist: EA isn't actually bad, Bioware is actually just incompetent and EA gave them enough rope to hang themselves
damn
This is worse than MGS V where Kojima just would not stop fucking around, at least Kojima had some sense of vision and innovation, Bioware failed where several other dev teams also failed, it's like getting lost with a GPS
Anyone who pays money for a Bioware game is a fucking retard desu

no man, my wife is a woman

>EA’s Frostbite engine continued to make life miserable for many of BioWare’s developers
>that was in development for nearly seven years but didn’t enter production until the final 18 months
These are the two key things I suspected. The latter being right about the time we started actually seeing gameplay and it all looked incredibly early development.

So glad I avoided this piece of shit. Found it suspicious how the Interceptor, the "theif/assassin" of the group went from being a scouting/first engagement/support unit to "full melee" in a matter of 2 months yet Storm didn't even have cloth physics for its cape and none of its abilities worked.

Yes. DAI was released in November 2014, one year before Battlefront 1.

They're completely insane. Nothing they do makes sense. They don't even understand why they are failing and making less and less money, they won't even understand it after they had died.

There’s truths even in the unlikeliest if circumstance. Do you think the nobodies at BioWare that aren’t the executives aren’t at the whim of EA and get to be shuffled around to where they’re better needed by THEIR standards, not what’s best for the studios and games themselves. It’s not a shock how we keep hearing time and time again devs under EA put into situations they were not actually qualified to do or had prior experience in certain genres of gamez?

You're expecting too much from /pol/. I hope moot suffers for creating that shitty board

I really didn't mean it to sound ironical, it's literally what I have experienced. Thanks for confirming it, shit is terrible and it's what is killing not only workers and devs in particular but the products they are supposed to create as well.

Anthem has no season pass. I swear Yea Forums is less knowledgable about games than /cgl/

Stress leaves are a thing. Stress can indeed destroy your body and you need to be of healthy body and mind to continually work for long periods or repeatedly without extended breaks. I've seen it happen to plenty of hardworking people in shit situations and I've seen it happen to complete wastes of space who crack under the tiniest expectation of them and think anyone asking them to do better is "bullying" them, including a literal boomer working in marketing at my company.

Don't listen to people memeing with tranny shit over this. NEETs never experience burnout because they don't work and aren't fit for any work environment. We've known for years EA subsidiaries are just sweatshops for consumer media and the quality of the products they churn out reflect the state of their workers. Anthem is just the latest shitshow from a broken company that needs to just be put to rest already.

>$60 game
>zero content
>but content is coming later FOR FREE
The whole game is full price season pass, they have some balls. It's also got a $15 monthly subscription option for a game that's probably already down to $30 .

Read the article. They wrote in the name Anthrm into the plot much later

>moving goal posts
there's no anthem subscription either, EA's subscription is for all EA games not just anthem, the game's not an MMO

This crap happens with a lot of the bigger publishers, it's really exhausting. There needs to be a solution or some change but I fear change can only ever happen once the corrupt old shit is destroyed completely and even then it's only a matter of time till the next idiot CEO buys off your new company to fuck it over again.

EA can be blamed for Frostbite, but 90% of the article is how dumb Bioware's descisions were and heavily implies that DA4 (if it even comes out) will be their final game before becoming a support studio or killed off.

Between Andromeda and Anthem, they're getting pretty close.