Assist Trophies should be cut from future Smash games

Literally the worst way to feature a character, nobody fucking likes when their most wanted is an glorified item that rarely comes across your pick. Why the fuck did Sakurai think this was a good idea?

Imagine the new characters we could have got if assist trophies weren't a thing, it takes much development time to program these in the game, but that could have been for a new fighter or even a stage.

Why is Sakurai like this?

Attached: 1541164505053.png (840x907, 287K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zIFpC6fhJmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vOgi_YfaNtE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So you’d rather these characters not appear in the game at all?

Id rather they cut stupid characters and give us more assist trophies actually

Give them a trophy, NEVER EVER make popular characters assist trophies, that is a slap in the face.

How does that make any difference? The characters’ still unplayable. What’s worse is you can’t even interact with them.

Fuck off, assist trophies are fun as shit, especially when there are multiple of them fighting each other. Only manchildren never turn on items anyway.

Attached: 1497499333791.jpg (570x450, 48K)

Because you work hours on your life to program them and give them a moveset, yet you can't play as this. It's really malicious and Sakurai clearly does it because of the spite.

>literally 2-3 moves per assist trophy
>moveset
if you really want to play as hammer bro and sheriff so bad make your own mod

The ones like Zero and Alucard feel stupid since they went out of their way to make them act like fighters but without actually making them such. Like they're aware of the main criticism behind assist trophies clearly, but won't actually do anything to address it.

>2 moves = standard moves, aerial moves, special moves, throws, various other animations and voice clips and costumes
But yeah, just 2 and 3 more hours would do it, right?

Fuck you AT are hype and it's the only hope rejects get a chance to shine, I'm still mad Saki got cut.

>Because you work hours on your life to program them and give them a moveset, yet you can't play as this. It's really malicious and Sakurai clearly does it because of the spite.
Aside from Alucard and Rathalos they all have like two moves each. Hardly full fledged fighters.

You know what I meant, stop sucking Sakurai's dick

>I'm still mad Saki got cut.
Fucking hell. It was nice to see Sin & Punishment live through Smash.

>It's really malicious and Sakurai clearly does it because of the spite
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Get a grip on reality, faggot.

>It's really malicious and Sakurai clearly does it because of the spite.
Hate this fucking retarded fucking fanbase

The biggest issue that nobody seems to address is that the assist trophies of characters that people want tend to be fucking boring. Stuff like the Nintendog, the Moon, and the Mario Paint fly swatter are fun as shit, but a lot of them are just "character runs around and hits thing". Sometimes I don't even notice they're there! ATs a good concept, but stop using them as a dumping ground for characters that didn't make the cut.

At the very least I'm glad it still has a Mii costume and spirit, I don't care about either of those things and it's odd to remove him but I'll take representation over oblivion any day.

>make assist trophy
>run animation, occasionally an areal dodge, 2-3 moves, low effort model
>make playable character
>32 moves that need careful balancing, detailed model and a fuckton of other factors
stop having special needs

I like them and my most wanted is one

meant for

>Little Mac was a popular assist trophy in Brawl
>Isabelle and Dark Sami’s were popular assists in 4
Yeah you’re right, who would ever want such a fate to befall their favored character

What is even the thought process for picking and cutting assists? It still baffles me that there is 59 in Ultimate, couldn't they just have ported one from Smash 4 so it could be 60?

Attached: 1552761344009.png (414x641, 170K)

The thing that sucks with assists is that they're random and locked behind an item. They should make them actual assists like in fighting games, where you can call them whenever you want. You could choose your assist before the match and call them using an assist meter or something.

Attached: 1521048980140.jpg (701x701, 55K)

I would actually be more happy for a Marina Liteyears assist trophy over the return of many veterans.

Who did you want? Isuck? Edgehog? Pedobait?

That would radically change their dynamic, part of their fun is that they're wildly unbalanced and you never know what to expect, not to mention that approach would also imply a big reduction on the number of assists that make the cut.

I specifically turn only assist trophies off because there's no counter play or skill involved. pick up trophy, run away until you can channel for .75 seconds, get an ally that can KO and/or lock for you. Even master balls you can catch midair and hammers you can land an easy counter

You don't know true suffering when you don't have a character you'd love to see even as an assist, that has super low chances of happening due to shitty expies stealing their gimmicks.

Attached: sandwich.png (400x400, 72K)

SEETHING

Assist trophys are bad because they are just stronger more annoying pokeballs. They should be an equip-able that is activated by an item similar to the super smash orbs. This way you can choose your favorite character that is an assist trophy and see them more often.

Assist Trophies should be moved to "Assist Fighters" and incorporated a la Marvel vs Capcom
Regardless of how you cut it, being given a less than 2% chance of seeing Bomberman is pretty lame for his fans.

Yeah ok waluigi nigger, stay mad. He'll never be playable.

Jokes on you. I wanted Zero

Not even remotely as bad of a choice as waluigi but still, he's in the game now. Isn't he one of the best assists anyway?

Waluigi is old news now, everyone clamors for Isaac and Geno now

What are you talking about? Picking a trophy leaves you vulnerable and gets you punished most of the time because of how slow the activation is. Using trophies is a lot harder than master balls where you can just pick it up and throw it on the ground real quick.

Because everyone wants to play as the pacman ghosts, rathalos, klaptrap, the moon from majora's mask, andross, chain chomp, a metroid and mother brain, a hammer bro, a thwomp, the professor from brain age, a nintendog, sheriff and a few others. Yeah, many assist trophies are also widely requested fighters and personally I would have loved to play as Sukapon and Alucard. But if they weren't ATs, they wouldn't have gotten any representation except for maybe spirits because trophies were cut. Nintendo fucked up big time on many other features in this game but this isn't one of them. It's nothing but a nitpick and you're missing the main issue with ATs.. which is them being overpowered and anti-fun compared to the older games. But having your dream character in the game is an homage to them and not a slap in the face, you ungrateful swine. You just sound like an idiot and a sensitive little bitch.

>tfw this is a majority of the smash fanbase

Attached: 1541362486310.jpg (500x499, 100K)

desu I wish my favorite characters would get an assist trophy just to see an updated model

I find it funny that regular trophies were too much work but coincidentally he keeps assist trophies when not bringing trophies back was the perfect opportunity to rework assists or just simply remove them altogether.

Attached: 1546393303449.png (1368x1334, 207K)

Let's be fucking real here no one would be defending assist trophies if someone like K Rool or a Inkling got the "fuck you" assist trophy.
I already got the massive "fuck you" from Sakurai for Springman because Sakurai would rather be a lazy cunt and not just waited for DLC that would've been the reasonable/logical choice to do.

Attached: 1525817413006.png (650x600, 284K)

everyone bitches about assist trophies, yet here i am, wishing my most wanted was an assist. he'll never be playable, so seeing him in new 3D glory would have been nice...

Attached: 53487489_125178638547409_2030996793561194663_n.jpg (668x500, 88K)

> 59 assist trophies
> Not a single one from Rhythm Heaven
Why?

Attached: MC_Adore_Megamix.png (170x400, 34K)

>Rool or a Inkling
The trolls would have a field day with K. Rool but Inkling would have legit caused a shitstorm.

People would, they shat on King K. Rool for years before he got in and Inkling had a similar fate in Smash 4 with plenty of Smash speculation youtubers saying "UM ACKSHUALLY CORRIN WAS THE BEST CHOICE FOR DLC", which is what they're doing now for Spring Man.

Which somehow would be pretty strangely amusing to see what would happen if that actually happened.
Looks like I'm gonna have to wait to whenever the fuck the next Smash will be coming out for Springman then.

Attached: 1539704975980.gif (456x270, 1.7M)

Who in the right mind would say Corrin was a better pick than Inkling?

Congratulation on being a retard!

I agree. Assist Trophies and Smashball should've remained in brawl.

K.Rool would have only been an assist if Donkey Kong was a dead franchise like Golden Sun is.

Bringing Roy back in Smash 4 was a fucking mistake. Thanks Mewtwofags.

If there was another DK assist trophy besides the Claptrap it would've been more on DKCR. Like the first boss.

Spring Man would actually be an awful choice for DLC though and I like the ARMS ip. Despite Spring Man being from one of the most recent ips in Smash his moveset in his own game is incredibly basic and nowhere near as inspiring as what others could bring, comparing it to inkling is weird since that character has the higher ground on every mark like popularity, moveset potential and costumes. Spring Man is on a similar boat to Little Mac but he doesn't carry the weight of being a legacy, his best bet was always going to be the next Smash on the grounds of being a decent new property and being an honest to goodness fighter .

Don't pull that one, people were saying he was irrelevant nonstop, I have the receipts.

I should've been more specific. I mean more on a senario of the Inkling getting shafted for assist trophy crap.

It was still stupid in hindsight desu, Marth got in Melee despite not being in a game since 93 and was already surpassed by new lords like Leif.

Why did he get in? Because Fire Emblem is not dead.

I can see it now
>next smash has no assist trophies
>no items at all
>only one game mode
>it will still be praised because they added two new characters

Not really, a long range psuedo Little Mac would be fun as fuck to play in Smash. Hell even some of the ARMS you can equip for projectiles as well. The stuff is right there to make Springman or any ARMS character playable in Smash.

You're still not getting the point. Donkey Kong wasn't dead, but K. Rool was in limbo for a decade. There was nothing stopping them from adding Dixie, Funky or Cranky and ignoring K. Rool. You're speaking like he was a shoo-in when no one was expecting him to show up. Anything could have happened.

Blame the Rare fiasco and Nintendo not sure what the hell to do with DK for two console generations til Retro came in. ( I know DKC Returns came out near the death of the Wii. )

Now that I agree with you 100%. Rare was the only developer who knew what they wanted to do with DK as evident with the three games they didn't release vs. Nintendo slapping DK on a rhythm game in two minutes with no DK music present.

Rosterfaggotry should be an official mental illness

Literal whos do not belong in Smash Isaacfag

Good job on proving 's point retard.

>remove current assist trophies
>any unpicked fighter character now becomes an assist trophy
>examples:an upicked ryu behaves similar to akira yuki or unpicked sonic behaves similar to knuckles

Explain

Rosterfags are mentally ill

At least you'll have good mods on these characters faster than with characters modded from scratch

I refered to OP as the rosterfag as he's the one mad his character didn't get in. I already got what I wanted, I couldn't care about the roster.

So should the Pokeball item be cut too, with that logic? Some Pokemon people wanted playable ended up being Pokeball Pokemon in every game.

Holy fuck I totally forgot there's mods already for Smash Ultimate.Maybe there is somewhat some hope for Spirngman through modding.

Attached: 1543458045130.png (225x225, 64K)

People only complain to remove assist trophies because they're not in the fucking roster. Everyone else likes them or doesn't give a shit.

Can't wait when they'll be able to add character slot, the amount of echo characters will be terrible (Shadow as Sonic echo is already a thing, but not on his own slot)

Attached: 278.png (1365x767, 812K)

Nah

What I don't get is if you could fight them, why the hell weren't they used as minibosses? They could slap a fucking health bar on them and call it a day. Or have a fighting assist trophy team or something. Did they even have a FIGHTING ____ TEAM segment at all in this game? Man fuck Ultimate. Every time I think about it I just find out more ways it's a waste of potential.

I wouldn't get too excited.
On the other hand, Brawl modding has advanced to some ridiculously good heights.
youtube.com/watch?v=zIFpC6fhJmQ

A good 50% of the cast are literal whos to most of the human population outside spergs who would know everything.
But also Bomberman isn't a literal who and most people know who is, he even had a launch title on the Switch, yet they chose to go with Simon/Richter - two characters from dead franchise and the Simon's design was based off a game from 1991 - meaning no kids today know who they are (and don't say they will now, cause that is exactly why people want less known characters in Smash, faggot)

A shillmon like Incelroar is exactly what you assholes complain about yet is advertising a game, which is far worse because NOBODY asked for him (we had a fucking ballot)
He shouldn't have been added cause he has zero relevance to anyone, no history, not even Pokéfags wanted him, his wrestling/grapple archetype is already done better by Bowser and he's a Fire Type character that doesn't really use fire moves. He's a dumb character that only furfags and degenerates like.

Imagine being a nigger faggot who likes to move goalposts when their made up rules get broken.

Attached: 55CB28C1-D777-4F15-929F-9BBE8CFEA866.jpg (640x678, 73K)

I mean to his own series he still is irrelevant. That's not any less true. As of last year he hadn't made an appearance period in 10 years. And at that point Kritters and Klaptraps made more appearances in Mario sports games. His future is yet to be shown but I doubt the Kremlings are suddenly going to get a resurgence because of Smash. As in they're not suddenly going to show up in more Mario games or be the main focus of another sequel assuming we'll even get that.

part of me thinks Sakurai just doesn't like Rhythm games

>minibosses

That's what "Hostile Assist Trophy Enemies Will Appear" battles are

I know most of the Smash mods are pretty jank as fuck. But at least it would be something, than nothing at all. Really had a lot of fun with the one Ridley mod in Smash 4.

I like ATs because they're a nice way to include cool characters who would have never gotten in otherwise. The only thing that's missing is a menu where you can toggle which ones will appear.

Attached: 1496593493019.png (303x303, 114K)

That's just Assist Trophies as is though. And they just spawn in repeatedly. It's super half assed. Take Dr. Wily for example. Why doesn't Megaman fight him in any way in his classic mode? Or Link and Ghirahim and whatnot. Or Sonic and Knuckles.

I'd like to see an assist battle take place randomly during the classic mode where you do just that. Maybe even have an assist with you at the start with a health bar and said bar can replenish itself based on your performance.

My point is that literally anything could have been done with them and be more interesting but they did the least interesting thing and made them a bunch of nuisances instead.

It's fine

No, you're correct in your assessment. A lot of opportunities were missed. Seems like Sakurai was banking on "Everyone is Here!" and it shows.

Modding scene progress very quickly on Ultimate since it's very similar to Sm4sh (that's why after only one month model import was a thing on Ultimate compared to Sm4sh it took praticly one year), and some Sm4sh mods are very impresive: youtube.com/watch?v=vOgi_YfaNtE

pratically*

Don't you get banned if you mod your Switch?

I think if you use a CFW emuNAND for modding, you're safe with the sysNAND.

but I didn't tried, someone work on SaltySD for Switch, an easier way to mod Smash Ultimate