Advance Wars

>this is the most grimdark entry

Attached: oh no.png (511x768, 68K)

>tfw grinding out drawing
One day I'll draw pic related

Attached: 427456338ce687037b094c616430640d.jpg (510x600, 23K)

How do we make a game about war dark and gritty?

>Meteors

Attached: B4A26C2D-D05E-477F-B4E8-7649C4D40B75.jpg (550x550, 53K)

THEY KILLED BILLIONS

this is what happens when Sturm spams his CO power I guess

Attached: meteor strike.png (511x768, 96K)

His master plan all along.

and then theres this guy

Attached: mayor douche.png (511x768, 77K)

I can see why people would be turned off by the visuals but functionally its alright so far even though I dont really see the big deal with bike units

Attached: dohohoho.png (511x768, 73K)

It's actually closer in tone to most Fire Emblem games

Attached: 1407746157605.png (377x330, 6K)

>game changes aesthetic
>kills the series

Attached: 1543733684768.png (667x670, 353K)

I dont think its that bad

Attached: cardboard.png (511x768, 105K)

I guess they are good for taking over cities quickly if there's roads/plains since you don't need to get an APC and load/unload your infantry. I think they are also good against mech since they are mobile and they don't count as armored but they are pretty limited in use cases.

More like
>other franchise is a lot more successful

I don't think it's that bad either, but I think I prefer the vibrant colors of previous entries.

If they made Dual Strike 2 would the franchise be dead? The Japanese made Days of Ruin and it wasn't even released there until 5 years later through Nintendo Rewards. So even they didn't want it.

the writing is beyond awful but the gameplay mechanics are easily the best in the series. The COs actually play differently.

Same, the devs weren't really sure what direction to go to to make it actually sell though I'd like to think that itd do decently today compared to years ago

Attached: sole survivor.png (832x561, 77K)

what's so great about this game? it looks like every shitty nes strategy game I ever played

Based NA localisation team.

Those blurry sprites hurt my eyes.

It's a pretty fun puzzle game with cute characters. As long as you don't pay attention to the story, they're all quite enjoyable.

I wish the emu's screenshots wouldn't be so small but it is what it is

Attached: gramps.jpg (480x320, 79K)

I think Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict was made explicitly for the Western market because Advance Wars was more popular there IIRC, so this darker setting might have been their interpretation of appealing to the West. I'd love more Advance Wars but it's at a crossroads with what it needs in my opinion; a PC release so the community around creating/sharing maps and playing together can't die. Wargroove has something going on in that regard but I don't enjoy the gameplay of it enough to really get into it.

I definitely think it would sell well looking at Wargroove which supposedly does decently banking on "indie Advance Wars" alone, but the concern I have would be if they stick to sprites as I could imagine them transitioning to 3D like most franchises which is a trend I really dislike. I get that 3D is easier to do than spritework and animation of it but god damn, does it look great and ages like a fine wine over the years to boot.

>Gameplay is the same but more balanced and even adds new good features
>Kills the series

>what is 40k

Unfortunately, people don't buy games for gameplay.

They'll probably continue 3D for more practice so that they can make better looking Fire Emblems but I'll miss sprites

Attached: oof.png (500x333, 287K)

this OST is pretty good even with sudden wubs

Attached: ch5e.png (511x768, 56K)

Am I the only one who doesn't mind if the next AW have dating elements? As long as the gameplay stays good, I'm fine.

I'd probably be ok with it if the multiplayer & story campaign's really really good but itd probably leave a bad taste. But they'll probably do it to actually sell the game and not have another bomb, it wouldn't surprise me given their recent track record

I like that the hard edges make it look like a drawn comic book. It's a nice design, but I could understand it being jarring if you were used to the sharper, more colorful designs.

Reminder that Morris only tells shit puns in the murrican version.

sudden reinforcements fuck you game

Attached: omigosh.png (511x768, 60K)

Does this game have trouble running on 3DS? I get random lockups from time to time, used to not do that on DS.

>w*rgroove
>still no modding support
oh no no no

Attached: 1541871401007.jpg (699x533, 70K)

that took a turn for the worse

Attached: flowerpeople.png (511x768, 110K)

Why is it taking so long? Goddamn.

>How do I play?

1.- Download and extract www.mediafire.com/download/35cct9gh28jc9qa/
2.- Double click mednafen.bat
or just drag and drop "aw2.gba" into "mednafen.exe"
3.- Press Alt + Shift + 1 to setup your controls. (At every unique button prompt, press the key you want to assign it to TWICE so it moves on towards the next button).
4.- To connect to an active server, press T to type /server IP PORT or /connect IP PORT
5.- So we can tell you apart, press T to type /nick YOURNICKNAME
6.- Play the fucking game.

If you join a session with people on it, ask if there's any available open spots. If so, type:

/dupe 1

to share the control. I know this is Yea Forums, but don't be a dick and take control or move other people's units when it's not your turn.

>Mednafen Server (USA):
Address: mednafen-us.emuparadise.org
Port: 4046

Attached: 1-Advance_Wars_2.png (240x160, 33K)

he seems cool

Attached: waylon.png (511x768, 61K)

>thousands of men dying just so you can bone the enemy CO

Attached: 1507431124957.jpg (234x266, 21K)

Best theme in the game.

Literally Andy and Eagle.

The fuck?

Attached: wolf-howling-tattoo.jpg (640x360, 53K)

Of course nobody fucking joins...

I think the European game read like that.

That took longer than I thought
also he aint cool

Attached: whew.png (511x768, 73K)

Did it fail on its own terms or was it supplanted by Fire Emblem?

Attached: DS Wars - Shadow of CO Powers.png (889x957, 1.77M)

Just look at how slow this thread is bro.

I believe DoR actually sold more than the previous entries. They just don't know where to go from here to reach FE numbers.

Your post is meaningless unless you post what was written in this scene during the Japanese version. If it's equivelant then your post is valid. If it's not equivalent then you're really only talking about localization here.

Did the series ever sell well or did it always get outsold by Fire Emblem?

Anyone who enjoyed Advance Wars (all titles can be played on GBA or NDS emulators), I would suggest that you look into...

Tiny Metal
Wargroove

Both are Advance Wars style titles available on PC natively, which is kind of unusual.

IS kinda lost faith and had no idea what to do with AW in japan

Hey, no point in not trying at all.

Add waifu mechanics, have a few guest OCs from the Fire Emblem series.
Don't know seems easy enough.

I would also add Fire Emblem onto the list.

Attached: coolface.jpg (3840x2160, 315K)

>Add waifu mechanics
They are literally figuring out how to do that
>have a few guest OCs from the Fire Emblem series
Didn't help with Codename:Steam

UNNECESSARY

ANIME

PLOT

TWISTS

THE GAME.

Seriously, they couldn't keep their dick in their pants when it came to writing stupid plot twist after plot twist. Even on the last mission, SURPRISE DR CAULDER IS A CLONE OF HIMSELF! like WOAH WHO GIVES A SHIT WHAT DID YOU DO WITH ANDY AND MAX AND SAMI WHERES ORANGE STAR WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WHY DID YOU END THE WORLD AND ==ANTI TANK UNITS== FUCK YOU, YOU KILLED THE SERIES

Attached: 1534372597348.gif (446x374, 920K)

I thought Days of Ruin was pretty good
Then again, it was also my first AW, not counting some clone I played on my phone

When those anti-tanks shot down my helicopters I uninstalled the emulator.

Attached: 1550031371668.jpg (1024x813, 62K)

wars had waifus but FE waifus you had more control of while most of the time in Advance wars you spent it with nameless units
also codename steam had a mess of problems with its artstyle being one of the biggest factors, sorta like this game with its own grimdark artstyle -its easy to turn off and look away

it all makes sense now
>loses war
>twice
>now a retard gets his subordinates too
>he is pissed
>fuck this shit , i am out of here but hey , have some rocks before i leave

I actually liked this one for how well balanced it was.
It definitely had the worst aesthetic though. Really dark and drab, boring characters, and still had that goofy cartoonist humor, despite trying so hard to take war more seriously.