Is ARPG dead because Diablo 2 was the only god shid?

Is ARPG dead because Diablo 2 was the only god shid?

Attached: 91oQ5qLqtQL._SY445_.jpg (315x445, 36K)

It's hard to call it "dead" when PoE exists and games like Grim Dawn can actually be successful.

Has there been a good story driven ARPG since Diablo 2? No. That's the biggest issue with ARPGs since then. The stories are all complete fucking boring trash that players just ignore.

picked up Grim Dawn yesterday for a few shekels, seems pretty good so far desu

Attached: bda.jpg (422x744, 49K)

Grim dawn has gotten closest

Diablo 2 is the typical over praised 00s game

Don't you need to be 18 to post here?

there is no such thing as an ARPG. there is just RPGs and shitty action games

I said nothing wrong

Grim Dawn has the same problem Titan Quest has in a sense it's so cumbersome to play for some reason. As if your character is moving through molasses or something. It doesn't feel snappy enough.

>Has there been a good story driven ARPG since Diablo 2? No. That's the biggest issue with ARPGs since then.
Or they make an even worse mistake and full on rip off D2's story like Torchlight 2 did.

ARPG is dead because Diablo 3 has pretty much done everything you can do with the hack and slash genre without changing the genre itself. POE didn't innovate it just gave a giant skill tree and had all the gameplay of diablo 2 zeal paladin

ARPG is dead because it's non-immersive click spam against a simple AI. It's one level above cookie clicker. Meanwhile, other genres advanced further, creating a demand that was not there in 1998. It's a relic of the past.

I know what you mean, but Grim Dawn isn't nearly as bad as Titan Quest in that regard. Titan Quest was like watching a movie that was stuck playing at 1/2 normal speed. Grim Dawn is like watching a movie that's stuck at 9/10 normal speed. Still slow, but much more tolerable.

>Diablo 3 has pretty much done everything you can do with the hack and slash genre
Wut.
>POE didn't innovate it just gave a giant skill tree
The innovation of PoE isn't the skill tree, its the linking of skills gems. You never really played it have you?

>T.Zoomer
You have to have actually lived through the Diablo 1/2 and the golden age of RPGs era to actually know for real it's impact on history.

Attached: DEATH.jpg (710x480, 32K)

As I said. Typically overall praised because nothing else good came out 2000s trash

yos

>over praised
One of the best arpg of all times this zoomer calls overpraised, please kys

character building and large passive bonuses is not gameplay. sorry

the ultimate goal of ARPG is to walk into a room and kill everything just be existing. Diablo 2 classic has a build like that called Chipadin

still seething this much? go back to fortnight zoomer

Then if we're talking that distilled and moving of goal posts, D1 didn't innovate anything either, it was just zelda with stats and exp, or a real time version of Rouge with 1/10 the mechanics.
There is more to a given game user then just the part where you kill mobs, there is also how you build characters, how monetary systems work, crafting, etc, etc.

diablo and its clones were never good

yes, but because all the other were clones

>best arpg
That's like the best turd

Yes, Blizzard have a habit of killing genres
ARPG
RTS
MMO

Arena FPS but they were already kinda dead.

D1 and Zelda are nothing alike and to make such a reference only shows your requirements for a special needs education in a public school educational system.

It is when you distill the core gameplay to be only go in to a room and kill shit, which I wasn't the one making such a retard statement.

What are some good ARPGs aside from Diablo that you guys would recommend?

Attached: 1542505338193.png (478x295, 127K)

PoE

divine divinity

Inquisitor martyr

Would I like Grim Dawn if I like ARPG but always quit around China in Titan Quest because I feel the game drags on?

Path of Exile is the most like Diablo mechanically. It really does feel like the true successor to Diablo. However. there are only a few good builds and most unique items are useless. I spent most of my time trying to make a useless unique called Incandescent Heart work in an effective tank build the way I believe it was intended. Lots of time spent on that, kek, but nothing made it work back then.

Diablo created the best ARPG story. There is no way you can top angels and demons in an ARPG. Every other game will be a lame copy. Absolutely nothing will top the quality of Diablo 2 if you're looking for a serious ARPG.Hopefully Blizzard will make Diablo 4 a little darker on the graphics side and allow free trading of items. Other than that, D2 is the best ARPG of all time.

I honestly can't get into Diablo-likes.
The core gameplay is mundane and I don't like procedural generation.
I've tried Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, Titan's Quest, and Diablo 2.

Diablo-likes are only good when you're experimenting with builds and starting new ladders and trading coveted items with other players.

Diablo still has a popular following, and a competent enough game in the franchise will make gangbusters, but the Diablo clone was, is, and will always be niche. I play these games a lot and these games are stripped down to two very fundamental basics: shiny loot that makes you stronger and faster, and getting stronger and faster for shiny loot. No game in the genre does anything else whatsoever, so unless it's got a name and a legacy, or unless it dares to do anything different, it will never be popular.

>there are only a few good builds
I wish people would stop saying this about path when there are dozens of good builds in the game. Not every build needs to clear maps in 10 seconds and facetank uber sharper. If we're only quantifying a build to be "good" to be absurdly broken as fuck, then D2 has only like 3 builds then (Hammerdin, trap sin w/infinity, telestomp necro).

>diablo
>rpg