Game companies don't want you to torrent their old games

>game companies don't want you to torrent their old games

>don't make their old games easily available anywhere

what is the logic in this? nintendo has no more virtual console, sony seems to have completely given up on putting ps1/ps2 classics in the store. do they not want money?

Attached: 31RmWB2dX+L._SX300_QL70_.jpg (300x158, 6K)

They can make more money with remakes

game companies usually don't care about old games though
ninty is being anal about it cause they're pushing the online service which has only a fraction of the original games

Do people really want to play old PS1 and PS2 games, though? I get wanting to play SNES games and stuff like that since 16 bit stuff actually holds up, but PS1 and PS2 are really rough to go back to.

It costs money to make these games available. But they also don't want to make it look like they want isos to be a free for all. I thinkk for some copyright shit you need to demonstrate that you tried to maintain it.

Nintendo is the only company that has actually gone after rom sites.

>I get wanting to play SNES games and stuff like that since 16 bit stuff actually holds up, but PS1 and PS2 are really rough to go back to.

Attached: 1546564561520.png (1144x772, 267K)

there should be a law that stablish media older than a certian amount of years lose their DRM.
its just a nonsense that playing a NES ROM is considered illegal.

At least PS1 and 2 had games, unlike PS3 and PS4.

It's the only way I can play we love katamari

Attached: 1551821929454.png (544x566, 653K)

Sadly, I have to agree. I was a huge PS2 fan back in the day. But when I tried to re-visit it a few years ago I was astounded by how poorly its library of games had aged. Some things are better left as memories.

>what is the logic in this?
If you can't buy their old games, which will probably be at a lower price, you might just buy their newer and more expensive games instead.

It's stupid. I'm not buying their new shitty games and I've gotten copyright infringement notifications for torrenting old games that you can't even buy anymore. Fuck these companies desu.

Jesus christ you people.
Okay, here's the tl;dr: it's not illegal to play a NES ROM. How you got it is copyright infringement. It's copyright infringement to distribute it without Nintendos consent. You owning it and playing it isn't really copyright infringement. They need to PROVE how you got it to charge you. TECHNICALLY it's copyright infringement to pass it around to your buddies. What the company decides to do with that copyright infringement is up to them. Usually it's a big ass fine. Super fucking rarely it's jail time. Think selling bootlegs or how the pirate bay got fucked.

It's complicated and that's the point, copyright law is made complicated because 90% of it is basically: I own the rights I can do whatever the fuck I want with it, not you. The rest of it is nonsense, way the fuck too convoluted, or involves what you can do with it if you own the rights. Gives me a headache even trying to type this up in a tl;dr. It's also super fucking hard to explain. That's the point, though. It's very complex because it's supposed to cover all the bases when it involves your product and how you can handle it, plus how you can protect yourself. What's bullshit is being cock blocked on how you can get it when you can't legally get it. You can't purchase it, you're not allowed to download it, so we're supposed to go "well that's that"? This is where copyright law needs to be improved. If you can't distribute it then you need to release the rights to that specific product somehow.
"But it's my product!" Great, so why are you punishing someone for trying to get it?
"Because I want to make money!" So sell it
"But it doesn't make a profit!" So give it out for free?
"But it's my product!" It's a fucking endless cycle and we get fucked. No there is no tl;dr of the tl;dr shits complicated enough.

So here I'll explain why it could end up to be jail time: Federal law is REALLY clear on selling and distribution of a product you do not own. That shit is cut and dry. It's on every VHS, DVD, whatever, before something plays. There's no gray area or question of it. Got it off of pirate bay? Don't get caught, basically. If you do get caught, you get sent a fuckton of nastygrams before they try to come after you. It's actually more expensive to come after you than it is to just let it happen. They also have to prove it actually was you since recently it was shown that you can't tie someones IP address to someones physical address. However more recently, file sharing has actually entered a very scary territory in the law in which you can get mega fucked for getting caught. You don't want to know. But, there's good news: It's easier to go after the distributor (TPB) than it is to go after you. When they go after you, it's because they're trying to scare the rest of us, which never fucking works. Get a VPN basically. They're not expensive and they're fairly simple to setup. if you built your own PC you can setup a VPN.

>what is the logic in this?
more than one
expired contracts, lost source codes, failed companies

Honestly, most of the the ps1 and ps2 era has not aged well and most of the true gems have been either rereleased on the ps3 store or given HD remasters.

Sony wants to bury their problematic past of good games.

They are of the mind that everyone is treasuring a copy.

strangleholds on IPs is another one. Sure I'm not doing anything with that obscure IP but someday I might and nobody else is going to make a profit off of it mineminemine

you sound like a faggot with ADD

There are a few that don't because early 3D and stuff, but there's stuff that does hold up. Katamari, Onimusha, RE4, Odin Sphere all got remasters/remakes.

wow look at the brainwashed zoomers making excuses for sony's faggotry

I replay and enjoy ps1/ps2 games all the time. the ones that I can find at least

>might just buy their newer and more expensive games instead

lol they wish. I'm one of the few faggots in the world with a gamefly subscription and I love it.