Vhs degradation

>vhs degradation
>disc rot
>data rot
>drive failure
When are we going to be able to store data forever, without having to worry about it? It makes me anxious to think none of this stuff is permanent.

Attached: cheers_bro.jpg (540x540, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/story/the-rise-of-dna-data-storage/
southampton.ac.uk/news/2018/02/spacex-5d-crystal.page
youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
livescience.com/56655-diamonds-could-store-huge-amounts-of-data.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's what Steam is for

im sorry to tell you user but due to the degrading nature of entropy it's impossible to store data forever

>none of this stuff is permanent.
How do I get out of nihilism it's ruining my life.

Attached: 1551008292763.jpg (500x388, 43K)

Why does it matter since you and me both are going to die anyway soon enough

That's a weird looking jellyfish

If the internet gets destroyed, ergo, we can't connect to it anymore, will the data still be there for other civilizations to find?

All my VHS that I bought for my retro meme experience work fine and they're 40yo by now.

DNA data storage

DNA degrades much faster than our man-made storages, ever heard of cancer and mutations?

that's why cloud storage exists. It copies the data onto so many servers that it's essentially invulnerable.
>but I don't want to store things in the cloud! muh privacy!
reasonable request, so buy your own drives, make multiple copies of everything you want to save.

You're saying the video games of the future are going to get cancer?

What you mention are serious problems, but the real enemy of data preservation connoisseurs is the rotational velocidensity.

Rotational velocidensity affects all audio files encoded with lossy compression. These include mp3, aac, and ogg.
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions in the music community regarding the differences between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC format. It is true that 320kbps is technically as good as FLAC, but there are other reasons to get music in a lossless format.

Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

Attached: rotational velocidensity.png (1065x2060, 2.03M)

Engrave the 1s and 0s into a stone tablet.
Or back up regularly.

When you learn to backup your data properly.

>vhs degradation
>disc rot
disagree
>data rot
wtf is this?
>drive failure
agree

data rot is the idea that somehow the data you've stored on a drive is going to slowly change over time without any provocation.
That video you saved on your computer is just going to magically get worse and worse every year, roms are going to suddenly not work anymore, etc etc.

the fuck?

Attached: b90.png (645x729, 91K)

no, but we need to become the video games

actually, the man knows what he's talking about, albeit, petty or nonsense to most people. when i've gone back to some really old mp3's from way back 'in-the-day' (90's, Napster, 56k modem) most of my mp3 library sounds like crap, mostly due to the technologies available at the time. i notice an unusually large amount of "pops" in a lot of songs and a 128k rip sounds more flat than a new 128k rip (both sound terrible regardless). anybody who knows how data is written to a disc would know that bits do get lost over time.

My PS1 games till play. I'm almost 40. My shit will last at least as long until I have Alzheimers.Good enough for me.

This. Dowloaded a Super mario bros rom in 2017 and now my game is only 7 bit

Crystalline storage

so thats what happened. weird

this is the kind of shit you think back on when you are about to die just to regret how much time you spend on bullshit on your life.

Nothing in this world lasts forever.

I have a PhD in Digital Music Conservation from the University of Florida. I have to stress that the phenomenon known as "digital dust" is the real problem regarding conservation of music, and any other type of digital file. Digital files are stored in digital filing cabinets called "directories" which are prone to "digital dust" - slight bit alterations that happen now or then. Now, admittedly, in its ideal, pristine condition, a piece of musical work encoded in FLAC format contains more information than the same piece encoded in MP3, however, as the FLAC file is bigger, it accumulates, in fact, MORE digital dust than the MP3 file. Now you might say that the density of dust is the same. That would be a naive view. Since MP3 files are smaller, they can be much more easily stacked together and held in "drawers" called archive files (Zip, Rar, Lha, etc.) ; in such a configuration, their surface-to-volume ratio is minimized. Thus, they accumulate LESS digital dust and thus decay at a much slower rate than FLACs. All this is well-known in academia, alas the ignorant hordes just think that because it's bigger, it must be better.
So over the past months there's been some discussion about the merits of lossy compression and the rotational velocidensity issue. I'm an audiophile myself and posses a vast collection of uncompressed audio files, but I do want to assure the casual low-bitrate users that their music library is quite safe.

Being an audio engineer for over 21 years, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. While rotational velocidensity is indeed responsible for some deterioration of an unanchored file, there's a simple way of preventing this. Better still, there have been some reported cases of damaged files repairing themselves, although marginally so (about 1.7 percent for the .ogg format).

the best things are made with the future and survivability/sustainability in mind.

If that was truly the case, md5 hashes wouldn't be a thing. I have cdr's and old IDE hard drives full of old files and data from early 2000s, and the hashes still match up to this day.

god damn it

Attached: 1540039303845.png (1200x1080, 1.02M)

Wow. Is this pasta? That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

>not making new copies every year

it's copypasta

>Seagate hard drives fail after one year
>mud poked with a reed lasts thousands

Attached: 1529994507207.jpg (1300x866, 301K)

That's a new one to me. Made me google it.
It's got an urban dictionary entry, that should tell you everything right there.

>all these newfags not knowing the classic pasta

Attached: brightburger.jpg (160x160, 18K)

>Seagate hard drives fail after one year
what you had been done to your drives?
mine lasted around 8-11 years.

>tfw you read about the principle of entropy

Attached: f.png (889x592, 286K)

>I don't understand computers, so it must be magic

Attached: Screenshot_20190331-122110_1.png (1080x1693, 208K)

Realistically you only need personal storage technology to last about 60-80 years.

Collectors typically don't start collecting until their teens or mid-twenties and they run the risk of death or destructive accidents like fires or flooding before data longevity becomes a problem.

I hate being a technology boomer, I can never tell when you guys are fucking with me or not

We could create some system that automatically copies the information by re building it every now and then. It could have some special code to run it all and we would just have to feed it new mass and power every now and then too

stop the blackpill NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>technology boomer
I guess boomers would be the people who actually know shit unlike gen z who only consumes what was made beforehand. The word has lost all meaning anyway.

im sure its going to be done at some point, and it will be useed as the excuse to validate higher CPU power or better storage.

That's an old one

Attached: 1549329238946.png (758x824, 2.39M)

Nice joke. Seagate are the absolute cancer of the hard drive world. I've never had one that didn't spectacularly crash and burn within a couple of years. Meanwhile I've never had a problem with any Western Digital or Samsung.

Black holes.
I'm not kidding

Evolve into optimistic nihilism.

Ur retarded

>when you die and all the people knew you die, no one will remember anything real about your life, when everyone stop caring about your life achievements no one could prove you had existed at all.

"happened" to me.
Been replacing hd like every 8 months.
Turns out the drives are fine, but my PSU and SaTA cables are shit. I now have 4 500gb HDD's as backup.

my current Seagate HDD(OS installed) has around 6 years.
but on your defense, i have a 15 year old WD on an older pc and it still works perfectly.

>disc rot
that's a meme

Last one I had only lasted 3 years. Completely shit itself without warning.

Become a Christian

testing to see

if reddit spacing still exists.

Use tape for long term archival.

There is this thing called RAID which stores data with redundancy. If any of the disks fucks up the data is still safe on the other disks.
Disks themselves have various ways in which they check if data is rotting and correct it.
If you think writing and reading millions of zeroes and ones on the daily doesn't result in regular fuckups, you don't know computers. We've just built layers upon layers of error catching mechanism.

Attached: summoning_a_daemon.png (552x412, 88K)

Kill him, sick 'em! Demons... suck his life out.

Of you buy Blu Ray discs they will outlive you

At this rate, I could buy a VHS and it'll outlive me.

Stop thinking that time is constantly moving forward for the entire universe. Time is a coordinate, nothing else, us living being move through it, not reality itself. The past exists, just in a different time coordinate. We as living beings can't move to that time coordinate, but it doesn't mean that it does not exist

What about the whole frenzy over the laser encoded glass discs, basically the physically encoded crystaline data system where it was etched inside the disc rather than on the outside so scratches didnt affect it, is that still being developed or just a meme

Attached: X7fQkrX.jpg (1200x1000, 166K)

>I have a PhD in Digital Music Conservation from the University of Florida

I'm so sorry

Attached: CmQOF3UVIAAc32Y.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Fuck the physical world. When can I join the cloud?

I'm glad modern games stopped compressing audio resulting in those 50+GB games

all my older games are ruined due to rotational velocidensity, may have been nice to be smaller at the time but now paying the price

What you're doing currently is the closest thing we have at this point.
By posting your comments, ideas, etc. online and having them permanently archived on various sites means you (your etheral self) is no longer bound by your physical body.
You will be archived and saved for long after your body has crumbled away, do not worry about the physical world, you have already begun the transition.
Keep on shitposting user, keep on.

>forever
you will not live forever. Enjoy your life today, tomorrow you might die

I am correct though.

It is as a circle may be round, but as you get closer and closer to a point it turns into a line (The derivative)
Just as time may seem long with with events that seem to make your life meaningless such as sun-death, as you look closer at our time of existence it becomes a single point (the next derivative)
What will happen long in the future does not change the meaningfulness of what we do now on our single coordinate of time. We should live for as we are now and enjoy our time and make an effect on the coordinate we occupy.

Wait for quartz discs, basically time resistant.

Is this what philosophy does to people?

engrave the ninary code into stainless steel

Not really, never took any philo classes, just a result of being autistically interested in math and physics concepts, as well as having gone through a period of depression due to nihilism, resulting in the decision that this is a good philosophy to live by.

*binary

start lifting and stop browsing this place nigger

>ninary code
>nine states
quantum computing when

>want to back up shitloads of music and images
>gonna get me one of those fancy external SSDs
>dozens of reviews from people with breakages after 3-5 months and complete data loss
>so paranoid had to buy another drive to mirror/safety

I don't feel safe whatsoever.

Attached: JUST.jpg (540x361, 77K)

You must be fucking unbearable to be around.

Lots of words to describe the word History.
Parallel universes/many-worlds is physically impossible, unless of course you're a philosopher.

single-drive storage is always retarded no matter the reviews, even if it's the most trusted drive around

nihilism except the self-delusions

>external ssd
SSDs are shit for long term backup purposes, just get a 3tb+ mechanical.

In the CIS field so I don't really have to deal with anyone anyways.
What I wrote has nothing to do with history or parallel universe, my point is that the other user should not focus on the distant future being meaningless and should rather focus on the impact his lifespan can make

Yes, I understand I just kind of assumed SSD drives were better/reliable than old spinning HDs and reading all those reviews about data loss filled me with me anxiety about those external SSDs in general

Thats what my gut feeling told me! But I just had to listed to other people.

usually is the enclosure that's shit and not the ssd

so you end up with a ssd that's entirely fine if you just move it inside the PC or a good enclosure

cheap usb3 ones are typically the most prone to failure

Film reel is unrottable and eternal. The problem is tho that it has to storaged in right kind of enviroment.

My bad, misread and misinterpreted what you said.

Attached: 1543341253006.jpg (1439x1432, 575K)

see
could be data loss either way if the enclosure fucked up the filesystem with bad transfers

>keep external ssd in storage
>data has all been wiped because the transistors haven't seen power in 12 months
>meanwhile spinning external is fine

Attached: image.png (486x487, 269K)

SSD's are better for data that is going to be read/wrote repeatedly and isn't concerned with long term storage
AKA: using an SSD/m.2 for your OS and or vidya game drive is a good idea as it reads and writes much faster, but don't use them for data storage

Is ok user, have some cp

Attached: uhoh.jpg (316x159, 10K)

It also used to be one of the more volatile substances in common usage, so a lot of it more or less spontaneously combusted. A lot of early film (pre-1950's mostly) is either gone or exists only in prints from inferior copies that were made at some point before the masters exploded.

>data has all been wiped because the transistors haven't seen power in 12 months

are you joking or is this for real? this kind of shitty tech is this

Attached: 1550708020197.png (295x300, 99K)

Batteries drain over time even when not being used, same concept basically

>what is defragmentation

I'm dead serious. Fuck SSDs (except for daily OD use).

or you just back up the files every year...

Ok, how about something with a lifespan close to that of books

Attached: 1533305969819.jpg (2048x1366, 1.68M)

>Parallel universes/many-worlds is physically impossible
why? what makes it impossible?

>books
While books can last a long time it is in no way reliable, they must be kept in very specific conditions (temperature, humidity, etc) or else they will rot
currently crystalline storage seems to be the most reliable and long lasting for the future

Just open it in notepad and print the result.

>posts something that cant be proven
>"I am correct though"
maybe?

SSDs are meant for use not storage.

Incorrect.
Many wWorlds is perfectly compliant with the stochastic nature of QM, it's just far more retarded than Pilot Wave or Copenhagen.

>data rot

Attached: 1554028992116.png (409x445, 231K)

Steam rot is called Epic Store

Why worry about storing data forever when you're not going to live an eternal life?

THE OMNISSIAH CAN SAVE YOUR DATA

post "OMNISSIAH SAVE US" or your data will be corrupted by the antipath

Attached: Mechanicum_simbolo_legio_cibernetica.jpg (301x322, 40K)

aim high, hit somewhere acceptable.

50-60 years of peace of mind and bulletproof storage shouldn't be science fiction.

>tfw have to regularly perform rituals with chants and rub your external HD with sacred oils or it stops working

yeah nah, fuck it

Attached: doggo.png (574x747, 712K)

Optical encoding of data onto silver halide-based medium (like microfilm) can last for hundreds of years, possibly thousands. Even gelatin-silver-based mediums (like photonegatives) last for very long time as long as they're kept away from humidity.

You can find glass plate negatives from the 19th century at antique stores all the time and usually the only degradation on them is mechanical due to poor storage and handling (people really don't care about their ancestors).

OMNISSIAH SAVE US

>It makes me anxious to think none of this stuff is permanent.

Today, little user discovers entropy.
Yeah man, nothing is eternal.

Everything crumbles.

Attached: 1536171993615.jpg (288x325, 32K)

I want to share my anime with my grandkids

there is no empirical evidence for that though and you literally cant prove that everything will crumble.

*morale restored*

You want to share your crummy anime? Why not share a pail of water?

>Doesn't make and keep games in his mind
Get to the next level already, user.

All of those dont sound like "answers" to nihilism as much as coping mechanisms for it since they cant truly defeat it. Still useful i guess since nihilism is basically human's will entropy and only serves to destroy, so these pretty little lies are a form to make a small "spark" into their existence.

>since they cant truly defeat it.
Yeah, that's the premise of the first three sentences. It sounds like you're going to be spending some time on sentence four though.

>dies

No, you can't prove it, but you can be sure enough for our purposes.

I have alot of jrpgs amd dont know where to start first. Could you recommend something to play first?
>Alundra
>arc the lad
>blood omen
>beyond the beyond
>chrono trigger
>ff tactics
>wild arms
>lunar story.
>ff origins

I dont want to play a really great game then sit through something boring. It would be nice to save the best stuff for last

i cant

But those "responses" dont solve the ultimate problem, they just ignore it. You can live all your life doing any of those paths but ultimately they only serve to make you forget nihilism. They are coping mechanisms.

Attached: trapcard.jpg (500x580, 286K)

>But those "responses" dont solve the ultimate problem
Yeah, that's the premise stated in the first three sentences. You can realize there is no inherent meaning, despair, and 1. cope or 2. not cope. Not coping implies suicide, so if that's your choice then disregard all the options presented to you after the word start. The assumption is that there is no inherent meaning and no magic wand can make there be inherent meaning.

Get that Alundra rocking. It's Zelda on PSX

Fair enough, maybe i wasnt comprehending the implied "here is how you can try to deal with it if you want to try" in the fourth sentence, thanks for explaining it.

Attached: gecko.png (352x491, 260K)

Just make backups.

>he thinks nihilism is shackling rather than freeing
who cares? none of this matters; you said so yourself. there's no reason to be upset about something of which you have 0 control over

Just keep transferring data to newer storage devices and keep redundant backups. The data rot is mitigated each time but I guess if we measure in thousands of years rather than the comparative medias you're shit out of luck regardless.

I did see some video where a guy transcribed photo or video data into a crystal. Which would last hella long.

>Not storing your anime tiddies in the akashic record

Attached: Cosmic-Consciousness-520.jpg (520x280, 63K)

There is no escape from E N T R O P Y

There's also no magic wand to make yourself not desire inherent meaning. The bright side is that created meaning is a reasonably satisfying substitute.

start seeing your whole life as an everything, and work from that, if you need to convince yourself that the universe ends as soon you die, do it.

It is literally impossible for things to be possible

You just activated my hidden trap card

Attached: poisonshroom.jpg (350x518, 216K)

Attached: 1547261279661.jpg (618x410, 48K)

Based

Attached: Savior.jpg (531x710, 290K)

>store your porn/weird shit on a failsafe drive
>die
>2000 years later someone finds it and studies the contents
>researchers laugh/repel in disgust about your fetishes/preferences

Attached: 1268692500062.jpg (482x466, 47K)

This really isnt a problem.

As hdd get cheaper and larger in size, routine backing up of files becomes a thing with each new purchase.
You also keep all the old hdd's just incase.

The problem is emp's

When you get alzheimers, you get to play all your games for the first time again!
How cool is that?

Still works pretty good

Attached: newcanvas.jpg (225x22, 5K)

Came here to check if this had been posted

checkmate

Attached: tea.png (441x640, 589K)

>historical photographs watermarked

Oh shit, Toriyama forgot what was going on again! The immunity friends assemble to keep this franchise going for another 20 years!

Attached: 1533731507657.jpg (1024x683, 127K)

>drives full of trannyporn and overwatch r34
>suicide
>well maybe we can find some clues on user's laptop

Ive seen alzheimers in action for the first time recently. Its actually pretty sad.
The brain is literally glitching out.

Imagine suddenly remembering that you still have to take the clothes out of the washing machine, yet there aren't any. Not that it matters because the moment you get up you do it because you wanted to go shopping, but the moment you step outside the living room and into the hallway, you need to open the door because someone just rang the doorbell but of course nobody is there.
Trying to play vidya would be terrible since you'dforget how to work a controller like every minute. You'd even forget that you sat down to play games anyway.

The worst part is that many alzheimers patients have wounds from accidents because their brain forgets that they're right in the middle of taking a step, or handling something hot/sharp.

Its literally glitching out constantly, jumping around without any aim.

Maybe Yea Forums will finally be good once this happens to us all

Fortunately, there's been a lot of good progress on a lot of these neurological issues thanks to stem cell therapies. So it's not unimaginable to see some real ways to deal with it within 10-20 years.

>researchers feel dissapointed about how vanilla and boring your fetishes/preferences are and then procced to faphub.gov the biggest mainstream porn site of the moment, to masturbate each other(custom imposed by the goverment to fight the high rate of antisocial behavior) to a new trending porn genre;
the current level of our language lacks the words to descript it, but the closest description would be something like "Quirurgic multicourse on plain sight going on both directions"

State mandated homosexuality

Attached: me.png (220x294, 88K)

child's play

Attached: teadispell.jpg (769x911, 353K)

Just, like, scratch some 1's and 0's to clay and bake it. That'll last for thousands of years

create data as pattern on diamond, as diamond is quite stable imo.

*Epic Store rot is called Epic Store

>imo

It is the hardest metal after all

puny play

Attached: void.jpg (976x921, 512K)

That changes nothing in terms of our subjective experience, though. We're still stuck following the arrow of time in this one direction and only experiencing one moment at a time. It's hardly comforting to think that our past selves still exist. That's like finding out a utopia where everything is perfect exists in a galaxy we will never be able to reach.

data tape of course, it won't degrade unless you leave it out and even if it does data recovery is plausible if you make more than one copy and cut/paste it back together. Punchcards work too.

Attached: th.jpg (474x474, 24K)

considering "digital" is literally latin for "forever" id say you are retarded

"Digital" is still physically stored somewhere on something. It's not just magic that comes out of thin air.

ah, stale old pasta

The same can be said of an HDD. It's fundamentally the same technology, a magnetic tape/platter.

>considering "digital" is literally latin for "forever"

lmao what

not really, they have a forced 50% female quota
the most horrifying its that 70% of participants are transgender(the 30% of non-transgenders are actually the ones on quota this time)

How long do tape drives last?

Attached: D55326A1-AD45-4BF2-88E5-0991ECFB7F15.jpg (3264x2448, 1.77M)

Fucks sake the thumbnail loooked like a raw chicken.

Attached: 1473316453838.jpg (385x278, 45K)

>360TB storage
>stable up to 1000°C
> 13.8 billion years life-span

Attached: 5D storage.png (1146x880, 1.15M)

daily reminder that cassette tape is the most effecient way to store data

Not anymore it's not, literally this is.

You'll be dead before any of this starts happening thanks to your eating and lifestyle habits.

>tfw have a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
>tfw have had it for something like 10 years now
>tfw getting nervous

Attached: 1310949749066.png (312x338, 72K)

There's also this one.

wired.com/story/the-rise-of-dna-data-storage/

Though 5D is much more likely to be used as a commercial product for home use. While DNA storage would be better off as a archive due to it's cost.

>Lives forever inside his mindgames

Attached: 1539569440295.jpg (524x380, 37K)

ssd are not physical storage user

Why does that pink manatee have legs?

That's how capacitors work user, They temporarily store energy.

Why the fuck are we still not using these? It's literally crystals, these shits are everywhere.

The University behind it's researched hasn't released the technology yet. Give it like another 2 to 5 years. They've already seen some use, like that the Space Roadster.

southampton.ac.uk/news/2018/02/spacex-5d-crystal.page

APPEASE THE MACHINE SPIRITS
OMNISSIAH SAVE US

Writing data into them is expensive, they will only work as ROM, unless the technology manages to make them practical.

>having all my console's roms and ISOs on a single ROM
A man can dream

Attached: 1508373205861.jpg (610x421, 16K)

You won't live forever, so why do you need data to last forever?

Attached: 1534990889981.jpg (640x533, 78K)

So the ayy's can watch my porn

>storing data
>not just remembering it

>and this is your's grandfather's meme collection, use it wisely, there aren't any pepe and wojacks meme edit anymore

Attached: 1546727412268.png (750x731, 531K)

>Clogging your brainpower with needless information

I put a lot of effort into my shitposts
I don't want them to be lost like tears in the rain

>Pepes and wojack edits have been banned internationally after the calamity that was WW3.
>What followed is called the second dark age by some while others call it the years of liberation

>getting clogged
brainlet detected

Please stop. I can't deal with the paranoia as it is.

We already have it user, clay tablets with cuniform script have lasted around 4000 years, and the etched brass record on Voyager should last for tens of thousands.

You just have to pick: expensive and long lasting, or
small, cheap, and will eventually break

The difference is your DNA actually has tools to repair itself as it is unzipped/copy pasted every second from before you were born to your death. i highly doubt most HDD/SDDs/CDs could last literally 80 years of nonstop, continuous use

Upload torrents of things you care about to various trackers, if you want a rare digital thing to survive your best bet is having other people save it and back it up. Maybe it'll get saved to some NSA database that has a billion RAID redundancies.

Just back shit up. Formats change, the data doesn't though.

Data stored as DNA user, that seems to me the future. Imagine a PC taking a pen prick of blood from your finger and all of your data is stored in the surface area of a floppy drive.

>pc mutates and grows into a female waifu version of you
Can't wait.

>It makes me anxious to think none of this stuff is permanent.
You aren't permanent either user.

Because if I cant live forever, I want my ideas to live forever.

how many terabytes of data is on that wall?

The effects of your ideas and actions reverberate through the ages. You are a link in a chain that extends infinitely in all directions, a thread in the fabric of the universe. The future implies you.

so when I leave my phone with flash memory turned off for a year it wipes everything?

as long as the data centers and what not are still functional, yes

I want to be the only person with a copy of the show Zentrix and I want my family line to keep it forever.

>you lose one rom, you lose all of them

The answer is books and scrolls, nothing else will ever come close. Definitely not anything digital. Note that a huge chunk of ancient writings we have were found in a literal garbage dump in Egypt (Oxyrhynchus). It was because of the arid air and lack of rain that it remained preserved. Pure luck.

I really wonder if *anything* we are producing today - movies, books, TV shows, websites, articles, games, etc., will still be around 200 years from now, let alone 2000.

youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

You can protect against data rot with ZFS.

Attached: 13455636.jpg (182x195, 13K)

At least one poster here isn’t a brainlette

Ah so that child is being murder raped forever. Nice-u!

In a few years your super mario 64 save file will have corrupted. In a few years we'll all be dead. Stop fucking worrying about it.

How do I go back to the coordinates of the 90s

I heard crystals are going to be able to store data for immense periods of time.

that's why you should only ever buy digital :)

Just make a copy and rotate it every 10 years you fucking idiots.

Attain liberation and exist outside of time

Even if the data centers stop working most disk failures is caused by the constant flow of information so if they stop its very likely they'll just last a lot longer under those bunkers

The freakyest part of alzheimers is the glitches literally show we are robots. People with alzheimers will react exactly the same way over and over because they aren't gaining any new memories to change their behavior. Like they will say word for word repeats.

Attached: alzheimers.jpg (520x390, 38K)

All the more reason to make like a buddha and transcend the mind/body

Can you transcend outside space time and the universe?

It's really sad. The grandmother of my cousins is slowly losing it and while I never had a particularly good relationship with her, it's still not a good sight to see someone suddenly be timid about stuff. Like her asking in a strange way if it's okay to sit at a certain place at a table, probably because she's not sure if there were any rules for the seating in the family.

one day
livescience.com/56655-diamonds-could-store-huge-amounts-of-data.html

kek

I did once but the journey is perilous.