Why Don't They Make New Retro Games?

What's keeping SEGA from releasing SONIC Mania 2 or Sonic the Hedgehog 5 on a real SEGA Genesis cartridge & Making bank? Not enough demand? Too expensive?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (788x679, 520K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/T_XD_06QpQ0
youtu.be/o8qgArSqMsc
youtu.be/V7xOmTOYQm4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are probably not enough active Genesis players out there to make it worth it.

Having something like Sonic 5 available on the Genesis Mini as well as other platforms might be a nice bonus.

there probably isn't demand enough for them to "make bank"

Depends who "they" are. Some people do make new games for ancient consoles.

Who the fuck still owns a Genesis that isn't a 38 year old balding nostalgiafag?

the system holds it back from what they want it to be and it'd be incredibly niche. they could do a demaster or whatever and make a port to the console for some $200 special edition as a gimmick i guess.

That would be a good idea to do like once or twice just for the novelty of it but it's never going to be a money making venture.

>Depends who "they" are.
SEGA, Nintendo, SNK, etc. I'd kill for a brand new Neo Geo AES game.

How many people do you think still own a Genesis? How many people among those do you think would pay the retail price needed for Sega to make cartridges? Do you really think these modern games are actually able to run on original hardware as opposed to just looking like they could?

Think out this shit for more than a second, nigga.

They don't see sales anymore from people buying a Neo Geo system second hand. Why bother? They can just do like they did with sonic mania and make a retro style game for modern hardware in HD.

There's more SEGA genesis consoles in the united states than all the megadrive systems in the rest of the world COMBINED. You're really underestimating how many genesis consoles there are out there. Its was HUGE in the 90's. They still sell for under $50 because there's so many available.

The big names want you to move on the newer things that make more money. You've gotta scout indy developers.

Now you're really going into delusional land. Mega Drive and SNES is still sort of viable, but that's just niche inside a niche inside a niche

Cartridges are too damn expensive.

I can buy a chink copy of Earthbound from Chink eBay for almost nothing. Actual production costs cannot be that high.

companies do make first run nes/snes/old system games

remember that literal butthurt fag making the dreamcast rpg? the hemorrhoid dude?

I've always wondered why there aren't more unlicensed games being made for older consoles.

They can be if you don't want chink quality goods. There's a notable difference between an aliexpress cart and an actual shell they used to make the games.

what's the company that produces these games anyway? was it limited run? i know they do weird one offs for indie games but there was a mega man re release recently on some blue nes cart, and they did an SF2 one in a red cart. Can't remember if it was LR or not

but they do make new neo geo games...
youtu.be/T_XD_06QpQ0

There are tons. They just don't get your attention because they don't have a budget to market them because they're so ridiculously niche, and anyone that wants one is gonna find it anyway.

You mean as an actual Genesis game? Mania is more like a 32 bits game, the Geneis couldn't run it at all.

Mania is more of a 32X/Saturn title, but I picked genesis because that's what people still have.

remember when yooka laylee had a stretch goal that had a N64 cartridge of the game and an N64 mode in the game that turned all the graphics into that style

did that ever happen

I'm pretty sure the low-poly mode was in

me

Yeah & it didn't look anything like an N64 game. They just retextured the models.

Yes with marginal profits if any, it's viable for those guys to tap into that market since there is still a niche installbanse and nobody else is tapping into it, so they make a couple thousand bucks and can finance their next game. SEGA or Nintendo or SNK or whomever will obviously sell much more if they spend their resources making games for modern systems.

I own two

Why the fuck would you want that? A shitload of stuff in Mania isn't even possible on Genesis hardware. Why would you want to hold the game back?

My reasons have already been covered by other Anons in this thread so I'm just going to act amazed by how ignorant you are about hardware.

Attached: 1546798790981.png (1024x576, 705K)

Because it's a retarded, ass backwards way of doing things. And if you actually think Mania could be done on a mega drive then your opinion isn't worth a thing

why would they do that?

for sure it wasn't on release, i checked it when it came out and it was coming soon or some shit

OH NO NO NO
seriously what the fuck

Attached: dqv1ebnxqaa_zjw-9403.jpg (644x725, 100K)

You people really don't know it was a common trick for developers to include processor chips inside the game itself to allow the console to play a game that it doesn't technically have the specs to play?

The game is a what if mock saturn game not genesis

Didn't stealth devolop on real genesis hardware anyway? You could easily make 32MB or higher genesis games & just store it on flash memory if you wanted to. Hell, get the guy from game hut to develop it. They broke the genesis open so hard they created colors the genesis wasn't able to normally produce.
youtu.be/o8qgArSqMsc

>new retro games

Attached: 16e.jpg (903x960, 52K)

>fan made render BTFO'S the actual game once again

Attached: tumblr_no9mbdmyNe1rqz5qko3_r1_400.gif (400x300, 1.73M)

>kym

but why bother when you're the only person in the world who would buy it? why would they waste the resources ?

The fuck would you call it then?

why doesn't anyone make unlicensed snes or genesis games and just sell the roms for use with emulators?

they do

There is a market for new "retro" games released on original hardware but it's still pretty niche. Enough to potentially make a small batch of carts for collectors or enthusiasts, but maybe not enough to make serious bank off of it. A game like Mania might be a bit much for the genesis to handle unless it was really optimized for it, it would probably need a special chip or something which would really affect manufacturing costs. A 32x or saturn release would be better but more people have a genesis than either of those 2 consoles.

I have one, and I think its great. Genesis is probably in my top 5 consoles of all time.

Attached: 1523233028913.jpg (1280x960, 143K)

20 year old zoomer here, Genesis is a top 3 system all time and theres nothing comfier than playing it on original hardware. Theres also less interest in sega games compared to nintendo retro stuff so buying games isn't as expensive.

The manufacturers who actually produced the physical carts, aren't producing those carts anymore. So you'd need to recreate the tools, recreate the programs, recreate the factory settings, and retrain workers.
All so maybe a hundred thousand people buy the carts, if you're lucky. After that, the novelty wears off, and no one wants to keep buying new old shit.

Also, the Genesis can't play the new games, because the new games load more memory at once. Which the old consoles simply can't handle.

actual fully fledged games someone might have payed 60 bucks for in the 90s or just proof of concept coding project "games" that aren't even worth playing?

Probs cause you'd need to make it with limited hardware in mind. Where as if you wanted it on a modern system idk just slap open Unity and press the port button

They do but you faggots bitch about and pirate every one

why would anyone who's going to make a full fledged game with the resources to make a full priced game from the 90s limit themselves to a dead console when they can put it on steam and reach millions of people? i mean there are tons of small games out there being made for old hardware but youre just not being logical if you're looking for new 1990s AAA games. it isn't worth the investment.

that's the wrong way to look at it. They don't need a full scale production set up since they are making a niche product. They sell so few they can be hand made.

>so buying games isn't as expensive.
That's bullshit, every half-decent Mega Drive and Saturn game that didn't sell a gazillion copies is hundreds of dollars.

19 here, I imported a Japanese Model 2 last year

Attached: 20190316_154430.jpg (5312x2988, 3.38M)

So then we're literally talking about Limited Run?

based zoomber

>They sell so few they can be hand made.
Well now you have thousands of people crying about lack of supply. Or over pricing.

Can't wait to get my mega sg

>That rainbow banding
I think your system is dying bro. I don't remember playing the genesis & it looking like that. Granted I had a Nomad Growing up (which was awesome because you could hook it up to a TV), but I don't remember it ever looking that bad.

The restrictions that would come with this, as well as the game basically being instantly pirateable on even the lowest spec toasters.

the limits are what game so many of those games their charm. So many devs miss the mark trying to re-create the look of a specific era of software, when they COULD be developing for the original hardware and just actually making what they want and not making a soulless "retro" game.

>Also, the Genesis can't play the new games, because the new games load more memory at once. Which the old consoles simply can't handle.
Pier Solar on genesis was something like 64MB wasn't it?

It'd do well in Brasil if nothing else.

well, tough shit. You like a niche product, you deal with niche product problems.

>he thinks they could manage to fit mania on the genesis
Imagine being this technologically illiterate.

No. The waterfall effect with analogue signals is supposed to look like that

Attached: 1532798352338.webm (896x672, 2.89M)

Or they can do the easier thing that takes less time and costs less and appeals to more people

They still make fucking PC Engine/Turbografx games, you guys have just never heard of them.
youtu.be/V7xOmTOYQm4

Shit didn't meant to post that webm

Attached: 1540600480417.jpg (995x755, 358K)

Companies don't like this, because it puts their reputation at risk, it puts their money at risk, and it requires extra management.

Not really, Rainbow banding is common as composite on the Genesis is REALLY bad. It does output a really good RGB signal though

Attached: mega drive rainbow banding.jpg (640x480, 92K)

well, that IS what they do and that's why literally 100% of "retro" games don't actually do what they want to do because they are so polished and modern with high definition "pixel art" graphics that they don't actually feel like playing an old game.

I just loaded Mania, and it's using 100.7MB.

I didn't mention the waterfall, I said RAINBOW BANDING. I know what fucking dithering & composite blending is you fucking zoomer.

Attached: retread.jpg (1200x1200, 105K)

The rainbow banding is an artifact of the waterfall + analogue signal. I already said I didn't meant to post that webm, I thought I had another one. In emulation the rainbow banding doesn't happen.
>zoomer
Please

are you ok retard

shut the fuck up animal

idk man, most I've paid for a genesis game was 35 bucks for phantasy star iv. If collecting is too pricey just get a flashcart along with the system.

Contra, castlevania, turtles and a bunch of gems on the system sell for $50+ now so people have caught on. Nowhere near nes/snes levels but they're getting spendy to the point that I haven't bought one in years.

I can't imagine any decent Mega Drive collection without Alien Soldier, and that's definitely not 35 bucks.

I also have quite a big Sega CD collection which is now worth $2500, and a Saturn collection worth $6000 which thankfully I bought several years ago.

You can't get those games for that price anymore unless it's a loose cart with a destroyed label. In decent condition they're at least $150.

mega drive and genesis have completely different sales resulting in games having all different prices. Those games are $50 loose in America with a good to decent label.

Actually the only real price differences you'll find will be with Japanese games since the system sold like absolute shit over there. Still I would generally avoid most Genesis releases because they have those awful quality labels that start looking like you've been rubbing cheeto grease over them

You are a problem with gaming. Pixel games are fine from indies, or for fresh IPs going for that style. But multi-million dollar companies with big budgets shouldn't be making pixel art, rehashed remixes of their flagship titles and saying it's the best they can do. Not only that, they had to hire a romhacker 'cause they forgot how to make it. Do not encourage that shit.