Western Games in Japan

What are some western games that are popular in japan?

Attached: Galko.jpg (1280x1134, 415K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6CzX2JUqDuI
youtube.com/watch?v=zF9rPaMCg8c
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/191634-crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/75653325
nicovideo.jp/user/1690523
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Witcher

Crash Bandicoot is by far the biggest example of a western game taking off in Japan. Also undertale. They also really like games like Overcooked.

Donkey Kong Country is huge in Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=6CzX2JUqDuI

Undertale and Cuphead

While not that "popular," the Bungie Halo games (and the series in general pre-Xbox One) has a cult following in Japan. The fans even staged a big protest over them changing Master Chief's voice for the JP dub in Halo 4.

Neverhood had a Japanese only spin off

DKC is still 100% owned by Japan tho, even though they got gaijin team to do the work.

Crash, Witcher, Undertale, Minecraft, Overcooked(you'd be surprised how many people liked this game), Cuphead are the biggest western games there. Everything else usually has either casual fanbases(like people will play them, but they don't go around making tons of art for them) and cult fanbases(small but super dedicated fanbases)

Attached: 39d22af1480b8d9e6ffac677d1e12ece.jpg (600x650, 73K)

oh and Stardew Valley, that game is extremely popular down there.

Begone smashtard

Grand Theft Auto is a best seller
Call of Duty is popular among military otaku

Does Venezuela count as western? I suppose it does if western is just everything west of Japan.

Assetto corsa seems to be pretty popular in the sim racing niche on japan, mostly because of mods.

youtube.com/watch?v=zF9rPaMCg8c

Attached: 51593518_2064962200263676_4016182321731338240_n.jpg (616x960, 39K)

>shills VA-11 Hall-A every chance he gets
Based Kenya.

Venezuela is located in the American continent and was founded by Spanish Catholics. Absolutely nothing about it is not-western. Western doesn't mean "white" it means descendant of European culture.

The last of us did super well there also. Don't know many huge AAA games that does well over there. I think BF4 was also good over there I believe

I want to impregnate Galko!

>The fans even staged a big protest over them changing Master Chief's voice for the JP dub in Halo 4
What happened afterwards?

Yeah, I don't disagree. It's just that we don't generally think of the contemporary west as a communist shithole where people are eating mud cookies to not starve to death and successful gamedevs are being barred from leaving the country by the government. Maybe that will change in a generation or two.

I'm gonna play this fuckin' game and if it isn't good, I'm going to make it my life's mission to kill every person shilling it.

Attached: 1537816905006.jpg (291x276, 24K)

it's not that good, but it's not that bad either

save yourself the trouble. If you don't like narrative-heavy games with minimal, and I do mean minimal, gameplay, then you will not like this game.

The Wizardry series was historically very popular in Japan.

Attached: 1532272264148.png (1476x2028, 160K)

Undertale has some pretty good doujins, it's weird when you think about it as a whole.
>japanese hentai drawn for a western game based on a Halloween romhack based on a japanese game set in a fictional western setting
It's like broken telephone.

Attached: 1551733792029.png (800x800, 649K)

Surprisingly CoD is popular.

>Surprisingly
Not at all, look at military otakus

I've "played" a couple of VNs so I think I have the qualified attention span, but this BETTER be fucking good for the amount of people sucking this games dick.

Attached: 1531799860045.png (834x640, 738K)

Ojou best girl

Attached: 1466223585774.png (500x548, 143K)

>shut up about Japanese translation already
>trash can't even speak English and wants to play western game
Man these autismos have the same mentality as the autismos in this dumb site

I smiled like a faggot

How do I make a VN that makes it big in Japan?

Attached: 1550957170354.jpg (500x500, 51K)

She's secretly the biggest slut. Bet she takes it in the ass too

TBF not knowing English makes you seem ignorant in almost every non-English speaking country.
Gatekeeping people who don't know japanese is even greater degree of autism.

If you're not a woman, you might just think it's alright but not the greatest game in the world. Women seem to love this game for some reason.

Skyrim

don't appeal to them that much, except for artstyle

>Skeletons are cool
>Yeah! Skeletons are cool!

correct.

Attached: 5984294323.jpg (673x429, 163K)

Attached: bioshock.jpg (500x493, 55K)

What said.

Is this real? Did Vall-Hall-A actually get in a Galko comic? That's kinda cool

As a VN, it's nothing special
And the bar tending aspect is shallow as fuck

COD, GTA, Undertale. Everything else is irrelevant in Japan

there's always random reactions to western games from JP fanbases that you'd never expect. One user already mentioned the Halo JP dub change, but there are always strange debates that happen with Western games. One that was pretty odd was Japan had a small argument over what to call CommanderVideo from the Bit.Trip series. You see in the original Saga, in the Japanese release, ArcSys would just refer to him as "The Rhythm Alien" so Japanese people would just call him that whenever they talked about him, but then when Runner2 came out under a new publisher, they changed his name to the Kata version of "Commander Video" Japanese people didn't know what to call him and it caused massive confusion, especially when he got the trophy in Smash Bros and it called him "Commander Video" there were a bunch of confused posts online saying "IT'S RHYTHM ALIEN!" and some Japs saying "well in the west it's actually not."
Also just a fun little side note, there is a nicotuber that reviews games using Yuzuki Yukari as the reviewer and CommanderVideo is used a lot in the thumbnails and is in the background as a pillow in the videos.

Attached: whatwasthatnoise.png (1623x880, 1.58M)

i live in japan and world of tanks is weirdly popular here

Terraria

I know that Terraria featured in one anime.
There's also some manga about a girl who plays western games on Steam and stuff.

This but she's not self-aware about it.

Attached: 1457191925370.png (397x533, 191K)

>that way you can feel superior just for having it in your library
Even if not knowing English makes you seem ignorant, you can't deny this similarity

Yes. He did art for the japanese release and then made a crossover.

Attached: vall halla japan.jpg (1207x2048, 721K)

What will it be, Yea Forums?

Attached: galko chart.jpg (2096x3000, 1.41M)

You can probably thank Girls und Panzer for that

Minecraft obviously

I believe R6S is pretty popular over there.

Wouldn't that just make his full name Commander Video the Rhythm Alien?

rolling for fatty gf

Attached: 1551730149341.jpg (500x775, 319K)

Well let's find out.

Even small RPG maker games can get an anime.
Anything is possible in Japan, which I can respect. You usual don't see American made things get their own shows or games or comics without major presence or hype.

Attached: 123131.jpg (960x540, 195K)

yes, and the devs themselves even reference that numerous times in Runner2. The full game is called "Bit.Trip Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien" and the cartridges you collect to do the retro levels have a logo saying "Rhythm Alien CommanderVideo"

Attached: file_5841_Screen-Shot-2013-07-03-at-1.39.22-PM.png (832x494, 128K)

Hey Yea Forumsros could you tell me this.

Is Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy a huge success in Japan?

I saw a forum that said It bombed hard in Japan,here's the link to it.gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/191634-crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/75653325

This is 2019 a recent year and i just wondering does it sales amazingly well or just bombed like what it says it is on the forum.

Also could you tell me how many Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy copies sold in Japan?

Attached: efe.jpg (500x626, 71K)

Artist name?

It's a great game to play at work. Supreme comfy

Kenya Suzuki aka the guy who writes "Please tell me Galko-chan!"

Attached: 4065980451.jpg (900x506, 227K)

I think it did moderately well when it came out. it placed #5 the week it released losing to Ace Attorney, Splatoon, and Dragon Quest(2 different versions, 3DS and PS4, of XI).

Which one has the smelliest vagina?

Attached: 1546379094127.webm (1060x594, 1.59M)

That would be Okako.
Aside from Galko of course, who's absolutely perfect.

Damn, I kinda want this wallscroll.

rolling for tomboy

There's two pieces of art that were made. both are the reverse side of the cover of the PS4 version and the Switch version. I'm not sure if it has been confirmed but I think this art is the PS4 version (since it's more horizontal) and the one linked earlier is the switch version since it's more vertical fitting the size of the switch case.

Attached: Va11.jpg (1199x841, 401K)

i want a sonicmeat gf

Got a link to the nicotuber?

i want to diddle the sharkteeth grill desu

Attached: 1552862845184.gif (540x603, 188K)

Which one has athlete's foot?

Attached: 02983475.png (128x127, 35K)

Wait, I thought it was a she?

Attached: Galko_Coffee.jpg (1280x720, 736K)

Lets go Nerd or Fatty

Undertale

I honestly don't know what they are

>Here's your "Nerd" bro!

I DIDNT WANT THAT ONE

Attached: 1550670835387.png (694x519, 548K)

they mainly review smaller western indie games and stuff like that, and it's more like "fun commentary over a game that kind of talks about the game and gives it a quick rating at the end." Their most recent video was on "My Time at Portia." Also it requires being able to speak JP to watch(which should go without saying).
nicovideo.jp/user/1690523

Attached: 4884092.png (800x800, 508K)

Mortal Kombat was popular in the 90s but I'm not sure if the newer titles are these days.

It's a dude.

Give me titty goddess galko or the dumpy one pls!

it wasn't popular there at all, Tobias even said that Japan didn't like MK down there and blamed "western character design" (this is real, this is actually what he said)

>down there
Where the fuck in the world do you think Japan is located that you can call it "down there"?

Well fuck.

Attached: GAO.png (1280x720, 1.71M)

Was he talking about sales or arcade plays?

maybe he's an alaskan

This is an acceptable explanation.

Attached: 5242311782.jpg (900x506, 153K)

he said in general, he said that MK never really took off. He said that the games got poor reception and even the arcade machines weren't getting distributed to that many places due to that reception.

what about a Strayan, since they're upside-down and all?

it's an expression, not literally downwards. it's the same as saying "over there"

>blackbird

Sure is Wangan fan

"down there" usually means southward, or at the very least a lower elevation. You can't just go around using it willy-nilly.

Attached: gif.jpg (488x488, 36K)

Well, some say it's because of partly the native culture in some of the countries, but realistically, it's because most of our countries are developing shithole. The fact that it's even debated whether ot not it's part of the western world is testament enough that it has similar conditions to be considered part of it, the problem is, it's too dirtpoor, which sets it apart from the wealthier north american/europeans. If it was a properly developed first world nation, it would have been accepted to fit under the definition of the western world back in the 20th centurand the natives would have been overlooked similarly to how they are in North America and Oceania.

Rolling.

I've heard it used as "over there" as in "there's a lot of cop and firemen downtown. something's going on down there" but almost always used in a local sense. When used about distant places I've almost always heard it to refer to a southward area.

GUIDE MY DICK SATAN

Give me Galko slut please.

Attached: 69983166_p1.jpg (854x1200, 544K)

fuck

I guess downtown is another kind of "down"

I don't know much about Venezuela, but I can comment a lot on Mexico and even with all its poverty and having the largest population of American natives in the continent, I still consider it a Western nation.
There's also poor Western nations in Europe, particularly in Eastern Europe, but I guess one can debate if those are truly "western." But even then the Western nations of Spain and Italy aren't nearly in the same level as Britain and the U.S. and speaking from purely a GDP standpoint are basically the same tier as "shithole" countries like Mexico and Brazil. And the rest of the Latin American countries get elevated by those two giants IMO

>Give me HIV/AIDS
what did user mean by this?

Damn I thought I had a tomboy but I got the class rep. Can't even make her my slut.

I always have terrible luck with these

The chart in this thread is pure fiction. In the source material Galko is probably the purest and most virginal girl in the series.

That's what happens when you summon Satan, you get fucked.

That unflinching stare of dominance.

Attached: 1533166993149.gif (128x128, 49K)

Halo used to have a following before Halo 4 happened.

Attached: 1522531524246.png (700x664, 499K)

Same as the West, then.

yeah

Attached: 1471933333645.png (225x247, 105K)

Nah, I know, I'm just repeating arguments I have heard from westerners, I know Latin America follows a lot of western traditions. Eastern Europe isn't considered western, as for Iberia and Italy, they're only "honorary westerners" simply for being somewhat important members in the EU and NATO and being good vacation spots.
As for Scandinavia, they're rich, so it's a good enough excuse to consider them western. It's basically a club for the rich white countries.

Yee haw

Big tits or big heart please

Attached: 55F.jpg (494x442, 34K)

you're autistic

>TBF not knowing English makes you seem ignorant in almost every non-English speaking country.
Only in the western world. The rest of the world really doesn't give much of a fuck, and it's still surprisingly somewhat common even among young people.

This but the nerdy one

i WANT THE FATTY

which one will touch my peepee tonight

Attached: 1501980420555.png (400x250, 110K)

is this really a western vidya
roll

gimme the fatty one

Is there a reason why it's almost always yukari? It seems she and her gang are really often used as voice compared to miku gang or gumi.

wait is this fucking real? how the fuck did vallhalla devs even get in contact with a nipponese mangaka

Anyone will do.

Minecraft

Surprisingly, the Japanese use the internet too, and even use things like twitter and have e-mails.

I think more surprising is that the chink gungirl gacha merchants are also doing a cross over with Va-11 Hall-A

Attached: GF.png (579x303, 36K)

>What the hell are you?

Attached: 1548631908910.jpg (482x413, 98K)

>the Japanese use the internet too
These days it's more surprising that Venesuelans can use the internet.

Makes sense, only a dude could believe
>Looks like a slut
>Dresses like a slut
>Actually isn't a slut.