I have never played an RPG made before 2000. What do you recommend? Pic related I guess...

I have never played an RPG made before 2000. What do you recommend? Pic related I guess, since boomers seem to regard it fondly

Attached: dims+(9).jpg (1600x999, 619K)

CT is a great choice, just don't play that shitty mobile version.

chrono trigger
chrono cross
ff6
ff7
ff8
breath of fire 3
breath of fire 4

Alundra or Light Crusader.
Grandia II is alright too.

Attached: 220px-Alundra.jpg (220x218, 22K)

Definitely not Final Fantasy 8, holy fucking shit.

rpg maker 95 games

Suikoden, the first two games specifically though all games are solid entries aside from maybe 4.

Since you're still at the beginning, you should just turn off the PC version. Download the SNES rom, and the SNES9X emulator.

Lufia 2.

and before you go "but it's #2" it's a prequel and the first game is kinda generic/boring

wtf

Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia.

Chrono Trigger is indeed a good starting point, as it's a good bit shorter and more compact than many of its contemporaries. Most of Square[soft]'s output is at least worth a look: the Final Fantasy series, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, ect. If you can deal with early vidya voice acting, the two Lunar remakes on the PlayStation are also very worthwhile.

Suikoden 1 and 2

Final Fantasy VII is the only one you have to play.

Attached: 1524920413410.jpg (1600x2124, 1.59M)

lufia 2 sucks fucking dick my man

Back to discord tranny retard.

Attached: image.jpg (534x534, 209K)

kinda related to the subject, I played this when I was younger. Recently found out it's a (supposedly) inferior port. Is the original really that good?

Attached: 51BV6SMJJ4L._SX342_.jpg (342x334, 34K)

I always gave jrpg's the stink eye but then I actually decided to give one a shot.
Picked FF6 randomly and I now I hold it in extremely high regard.
The opening scene alone is enough to know you're in for a journey.

Attached: 3f2f967fd80a006e59a23c5b5c076a1965ca2d98.jpg (616x353, 43K)

Play the psp version fucker you're gonna love that shit I promise
Best version of lunar by faaaar

Go play fuckin' Front Mission, faggot.

Attached: image.jpg (1280x1259, 1.86M)

Is 1 worth a shot? I've beaten 3 and 4.

I love it. Gun Hazard too. Nothing beats '90s Squaresoft, not even fuckin' PUSSY.

Attached: image.jpg (1280x1563, 1.26M)

How did they age? I've got both of these on PS3 and I wanted to play some jrpgs this year.

Fallout 1&2, dune, TES Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Gothica, Planescape torment, Arcanum, Deus Ex

Why?
Are they connected with FF6?

I have another fuckin' recommendation too. Tactics Ogre: Ogre Battle VII. Fuckin' amazing game.

Attached: image.jpg (256x224, 102K)

Tangentially in that they were made by the same developer during the same time on the same system, and therefore share some similarities within the art style and especially the sound design. I suppose they both have mechs and technology too, which was rare for JRPGs back then.

Attached: image.jpg (1106x1439, 1.37M)

2 is still a masterpiece imo.

I replay Suikoden 2 yearly, I have an emulator and several .iso copies backed up because its a game I never want to forget.

Yeah, enjoy the loading times on that "superior" version.

Good game, overrated as hell, the golden chocobo side quests can go fuck themselves.

Secret of Evermore

Attached: evermore.jpg (672x459, 60K)

Do I play 1 first or go straight to 2?

Dragon Quest 3, SNES Version.
The first two add to the experience but they’re so dated that you should just look up a plot synopsis or watch a let’s play.

Extremely based

While the first game isn't necessary to really grasp whats going on in the second there are returning characters and an extra sidequiest you can do if you carry over you save data from the first game.

I'd say the first game is more of what made the second great, but it feels dated considering the sprites aren't as well animated and some of the locations feel somewhat lackluster. All in all I'd say its worth a play just for all the warm fuzzies you get from the extra bits you get in the second game.

1 has some issues but is still good, there's some crossover between 1 and 2, so some plot points in 2 will be better if you've played 1.

You can also read a Suikoden 1 save for better gear on certain characters and shit

The switch version of pic related is zoomer-proofed.

Attached: golden-age-phantasy-star.png (530x251, 9K)

Don't own a copy of it apparently so I'd have to emulate, that's not really a biggie though. I think I'll play both because apparently 1 is quite short.

I played DQ3 on GBC and enjoyed that one quite a bit, how do the two versions compare?

>Those filters.
I see very few people even noticed the shitpost.

>First game is literally 7 hours at most in remakes and is an excellent video game.
>JUST SKIP IT BRO.
Fuck yourself.

NES is the original. SNES is an updated port with extra features. GBC is an update on the SNES port with worse graphics and lower resolution, but even more features.

AKA, you already played the most feature-rich version.

No dungeon maps kill this game for me.

The Avernum / Exile games are pretty nice (though I'm not sure if you played them - the Exile games were made in 1995-1997, and the Avernum games are remakes).

Yeah, I just thought the NES one was definitely not the optimal version. I would say I prefer more features over better graphics, if that's what the whole deal is.

>dragon quest 1
>excellent
desu it was the first rpg i ever played and beat, that game has aged like milk no matter what version you play

Attached: slimedie.jpg (568x425, 55K)

It's essentially the first arc of every JRPG after it, but with less hand holding. It's short, sweet, and to the point. I can't imagine anyone but an utter casual disliking it.

This but FF8 you can discard

Attached: 1425344382987.gif (500x373, 994K)

What do you dislike about 8, user?

The switch version has maps, bro.

He's just a fag.

Attached: image.jpg (870x644, 406K)

Final Fantasy 5
Paper Mario
Legend of Mana

>Pic related I guess, since boomers seem to regard it fondly

I played Chrono Trigger in 2010 and I remember liking it a lot.

The fact that you have to draw every fucking spell.
The fact that you have to draw 99 of each spell.
The fact that you're not allowed to level AT ALL unless you want to be fucked over by scaled enemies.
The fact that combat is slow as fuck.
The fact that the best character in the game isn't even the protagonist of the game and you're only allowed to play certain parts with him.
The fact that it aged like shit.