Telltale Games is fucking dead

>Telltale Games is fucking dead
>The Wolf Among Us 2 is cancelled
>The Walking Dead is over
>Games like The Council went largely unnoticed
>Life is Strange series continues its freefall in quality and almost nobody talks about season 2

Are we witnessing the death of episodic games, bros?

Attached: telltale-games-1.jpg (1600x933, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/2017/5/11/15623158/io-interactive-square-enix-split-hitman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the only great episodic game ive played is wolf among us so i dont really care

Yeah because gamers are impatient monkeys who would rather wait years for a release than play content as it comes out, telltale's death proves how immature the vast majority of consumers are

I'll regret it. It's a good IDEA, but no one really lived up to it.

who cares

Not if anyone else does them, which they do. You focused on Telltale which we know is dead, and then claimed LiS was doomed with no evidence, even as it continues.

I want more Batman.

>No Tales 2
I know we will see Rhys and maybe his pals in BL but it won't be the same

Attached: 1478695728753.png (489x421, 356K)

This shit was dead after the first Walking Dead game.

Hitman did it alright, but that's the kind of game where it would naturally work with separate and unrelated missions. In a game where you're actually tackling a story it's detriment.

Attached: 5a52ca25df0a0e96dc22a3d579b320014c606ae0.jpg (616x353, 39K)

>Liking cinematic story telling games
Yikes

>write a shit story
>publish it as a book
>no profit
VS
>write a shit story
>hire a programmer and 3D animator to animate it
>add the illusion of choice
>call it a game
>split it into chapters
>sell them one at a time
>massive profit

It works. People are very dumb. Some of those people even come to Yea Forums and claim how much their love their storybook waifu.

>>Games like The Council went largely unnoticed
Massively underrated game.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 129K)

I said it before and I'll keep saying it. Telltale fully deserved it for killing Sam and Max and Monkey Island.

>Hitman did it alright
b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-BULLLSHIT.

Problem with Telltale's formula is they were infamous for not really having a finished script ahead of time. They would constantly re-write and try to one-up the players with each episode. You cannot have consistency or quality that way.

>>massive profit
why did telltale just die then

probably lost their tranny funding

Did she had powers or not?

Attached: BtS_rachel.png (231x264, 99K)

Episode 1 goes on a 50% sale every other week. And just before the second episode was even released it was already on Xbox Game Pass. If that's not an indication of poor sales then I don't know what is

Spent all on HRT

>Hitman did it alright
polygon.com/2017/5/11/15623158/io-interactive-square-enix-split-hitman

Attached: 1553586473791m.jpg (1024x776, 62K)

OBSESSED

dilate

In terms of doing the episodic formula. If you ask Squeenix all their western games failed to meet expectations. Meanwhile, they were burning these untold millions of dollars on their own games.

>they were infamous for not really having a finished script ahead of time
This, they always cut and recut and replace and readd and remove shit, damn (well, used to). If you have a story in mind, FUCKING TELL THAT STORY YOU FUCKS. Who cares if the players see your twist a mile away or whatever, that's not an excuse to put the entire story on the butcher's table.
Episodic content can work in that it provides you with small chunks of entertainment every couple of months instead of a couple of years as long as the season is ongoing. If you start cutting and changing shit, what's the point of going episodic then, you can't even tell your originally designed story.
Telltale suck and their shit was all retarded. All they had to do was focus on 1 or 2 games at a time, invest in a new engine, stop hiring people and make fine adventure games. Too bad it's too late.

Attached: 33QR8hI.png (218x209, 73K)

>Telltale is dead
Can Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream be the next to go?

My son. Calm yourself.

Attached: doggo-face.jpg (397x397, 17K)

hopefully yes

Attached: ohsfugdyisy11.jpg (1065x994, 81K)

We are witnessing the death of western VN.
(and that's a good thing!)

They were a scam in the first place. Basically the same as preodering. Buying a product based on promises, nothing concrete.

They were barely even alive.
HL2 created it and everyone knows how much of a garbage fire that event was.
Did any company ever BESIDES telltale even do episodic games?

You realise that waiting around for a fully finished product requires more patience than receiving an episode every quarter right? The amount of time spent anticipating the product without any content is much longer for a "full" release than for "episodic" releases.

>Did any company ever BESIDES telltale even do episodic games?
Dontnod?

>No tales from the borderlands 2
>No batman season 3
Man Rhys better be pounding Sasha's shithole in BL3
Batman had a lot of potential that they fucked up in the last episode (and maybe the one before that), I'd love to see what they could've done if they got a third season to fix things up

TWD 1 and TWAU were pretty good but TWD 2 already felt pretty average
Is there anything else worth playing?

>Is there anything else worth playing?
Tales from the Borderlands was surprisingly fun, sold like shit though. Season 4 of TWD was bare-bones but alright, better than 2 for sure. Can't think of anything other than that.

no their games immediately started selling like garbage as soon as people figured out their gimmick was a lie
the whole "if your player thinks your game is better than it actully is" only works if, you know, the player believes it

I hope so

Make the full game before you fucking ask for money

Also, make actual games, that would help too

>In terms of doing the episodic formula

>Hey, potential customers, mind shouldering all that risk for us? We can't be bothered to actually fund the full game, we'll just pass that risk onto you, so if the game bombs we can just pull the plug and keep all the money you already gave us :^)

>Also we'll make time-sensitive content that goes away forever, so you'll be EXTRA sure to buy the first episode right away, right? :3

Nope, fuck episodic games.

Attached: 6a00d8341c652b53ef010535ce3c64970c-800wi.jpg (533x399, 35K)

Episodic games was an idea were fine, and it's actually a point in its favor if anything that telltale managed to lie to people for so long.
Telltale just ended up being horrendously shit with money, which is why this came ot light.

TWD's first season success was not only because of its unique modernization to point-and-click adventures but also because of the implied promise of innovation that most people hoped for, since after all, the formula was extremely basic. Too bad they decided to fully rely on writing for the next 10 games with the only improvements to the formula being superficial at best: bloom and inventory. Six years later and you still can't skip dialogue for fuck's sake. And even the lack of long-lasting effects for your choices which was the company's main selling point no less was given the benefit of the doubt because
>they just started going big so surely they'll have the budget for more ambitious projects in the future
but unfortunately all they did was rely on big name IPs like Batman, Minecraft and nofunallowed GotG to even make a profit anymore.

Hopefully Telltale's failings will serve as a lesson not only for companies thinking they can get away with shitty management because of popularity, but also for people giving their benefit of the doubt and most importantly money to brands that only sell promises.

Yes I would rather wait. They can continue refining earlier parts even at the end of development, episodic games often have pacing problems where they have to insert 5 "fitting" conclusions to make natural breaks in the story, where instead of one grand story, sometimes you get 5 mini stories, or one chapter that seems like filler. You can easily forget details if you go long periods between episodes, and games that actually have gameplay, you can even forget mechanics which fucks with the difficulty curve.

>episodic games often have pacing problems
Because they write one episode, make it, write and make the next one, repeat. They write themselves into a corner, if they have a great idea later in episode 3 that requires some changes to earlier content, they can't do shit with it because they already made and shipped episodes 1 and 2.

>dude demons lmao

episode 4 and 5 ruined it

I hope so. people shouldn't be rewarded for making movies that are barely interactive and call it a game. I can not understand how Telltale made it as far as they did when you can just watch someone else play their "games" and get the full experience without spending a cent

Finally.

>dude demons lmao
Does it really go there? I dropped it 2 episodes in.

Attached: 1552879275773.png (172x159, 70K)

>Get Minecraft's rights
>A franchise beloved by children all over the world
>Makes "official" story mode
>Doesn't dub it in any language other than English
"Wtf why aren't the spaniards buying the game, don't they love Minecraft??"
They digged their own grave

>"Wtf why aren't the spaniards buying the game, don't they love Minecraft??"
Minecraft Story Mode was their most popular game though
It's just that the company was a bunch of retards and their gimmick is old hat

>Telltales
>Massive profits
Only TWD S1 really made a profit, the team was small and the concept new.

>Minecraft Story Mode was their most popular game though
Unless it sold millions upon millions of copies on consoles this is not even close to being true

Attached: ZqRGKJa.png (1651x699, 40K)

Maybe they were wrong but when telltale first died everyone was talking about how everything after twd sold like shit except minecraft 1

It was one of the only games that likely turned a profit, I'm sure it sold okay, can't find any numbers for it on consoles, but TWD was by far their best-selling, most-popular "game" by all available estimates

Pros to only playing games that are 5+ years old
>guaranteed to get the full experience from the get-go with all the DLCs and patches having been released by this point
>more often than not extremely cheap
>will not need to buy an overpriced rig to be able to run it
>real-life references have grown obsolete because of media's incessant need to move to a new cause every year so you won't get triggered by all the forced agendas
>if possible, by this point it would also have a substantial modding community to indulge in

Cons to only playing games that are 5+ years old
>no multiplayer
>no social media discussion because everyone moved on long ago to whatever the new hip thing is

If you ask me the pros heavily outweigh the cons and yet almost nobody does it. You are right that consumers are extremely immature, just not with the right reasons.

Publishers are getting around this by pushing for service models and releasing fewer single-player and/or offline games

Harder to ignore online-only, multiplayer-only games when they're dead by the time you'd get around to playing them

I don't remember this scene with Corvo and Emily in Dishonored 2. How do I get?

>Are we witnessing the death of episodic games, bros?
Fucking hopefully, they were a cancerous idea from the get go. Release a fucking full game cunts, not split it into 5 parts and charge more in total than you'd otherwise be able to for a single game release

The Council was shit and even though it looked like a PS2 game it made my 970 overheat, like what the fuck