What could have been

>what could have been
Sad...

Attached: ksp___the_solar_system__fan_fiction__by_pineapple_insurance_d7ttk8b-fullview.jpg (1024x263, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.es/Telescopio-700-76-smartphone-adaptador-DKA5/dp/B01I3BWICA?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_930887031_4&pf_rd_p=978eeee1-4efd-5aa0-b4b8-0711e154aeb1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=930887031&pf_rd_m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&pf_rd_r=G0KA849M85NBRQFCFMGP&pf_rd_r=G0KA849M85NBRQFCFMGP&pf_rd_p=978eeee1-4efd-5aa0-b4b8-0711e154aeb1
youtube.com/watch?v=u6-QSxaEy54
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0kteyMDnwE
youtube.com/watch?v=KDp1tiUsZw8
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you guys haven't seen saturn through a cheap telescope yet I don't know what you're waiting for.

Attached: saturn.jpg (976x549, 9K)

Light pollution to stop.

/thread

You should look at the sun next

weird to think there are other planets out there
i can never get used to looking at pictures of the surface of mars because its so earthlike

Attached: ice-crater-on-mars-1200x722.jpg (1200x722, 93K)

Planets are very bright and can be observed in severe light polluted conditions save for Uranus and Neptune. That's only a concern for messier's catalogue shit. I can't stress enough how cool it is.

Attached: jupiter2.jpg (760x566, 23K)

did you take that picture user?

Attached: 1553104053652.jpg (613x640, 109K)

You can visit me in the dark countryside and we can look together

>not a single game out there where you can enter the surface atmosphere of a gas giant.

I fucking hate this, it's not fucking fair bros.

Attached: jupiter_by_justv23_d4mbwk9-pre.jpg (1348x593, 104K)

Wouldn't the insane wind speeds kill you even at surface level?

probably but that's not the worst, even if the wind doesn't your entire body might get literally sanded off by micro dust particles flying at mach speeds.

Nope, but it's pretty much what I get when i use my cheap telescope. Jupiter is super bright so the camera lens burnt up, but if you see it live your eyes get used to the light and you can distinguish some of the stripes in the atmosphere. Also it's very cool to check how the moons are arranged differently from day to day.

It is my understanding that this would mainly be a problem in Saturn. Jupiter is pretty bad too but it wouldn't be the biggest concern.

Jesus, gas giants are hardcore

Attached: 1515116941842.png (265x294, 72K)

Attached: sounds of the drone.png (1920x1064, 605K)

Isn't there already a better outer planets mod? Hell I remember one with two other stars insanely far away as well.

You know that you could have seen Jupiter and Saturn with naked eye past 3 days?

>what is Halo 2

I saw Mars as a kid but it just was a little dot, to be honest I'm not even sure if it was Mars but it was a period in which it could be seen and people told me it was.
Saturn makes me feel weird, the fact something with that shape can be seen in the sky really weirdes me out for some reason.

What kind of telescope are we talking about?

So do gas giants like Saturn and Jupiter have a solid core in the middle or something? If not what did the atmosphere form around?

Attached: 1550345265514.jpg (700x695, 61K)

Imagine falling into that

space engine in a decade
the ray-marched nebulae we'll be getting in the next-next update are the beginning, I think

>Fall into an ocean of 13040°F Hydrogen

yes all gas giants (Jupiter Saturn) and ice giants (Uranus Neptune) have cores of rock and ice

Their atmospheres become thicker and thicker and more and more compressed such that they reach a state that isn't quite air, liquid or solid. It's almost impossible to describe since such states of matter don't exist on Earth, even in lab settings.
We do believe that they have solid, rocky cores however.

Man, space is so damn cool, what are some cheap telescopes you guys can recommend?

Biconvex glasses

>those gas stripes on Voon

Attached: 1404763316543.png (350x250, 6K)

Fuck off and don't remind me
>be younger
>watch stargazing documentary and get really excited
>get a telescope
>everything is a dot
>mars is a slightly red dot
Ahh yes really interesting, the moon looked great through it but that was it.

jupiter's metallic hydrogen sea is just plain weird

there's megaton rainfall and warframe

Didn't look for it when I was messing around with my telescope but I did find Jupiter.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've found that hard sci-fi books are the key to getting a comfy experience for space shit.

My job is 70% driving, so I spend a lot of time listening to audiobooks. I used to read a lot to help me sleep until my Kindle broke.

Attached: download.jpg (1200x628, 101K)

When is the next fucking update even coming out? I love Space Engine but the planets are too samey

>warframe
there's no interactive interplanetary travel, the only gas giants in that game are saryn's braps

couldnt you land on gas giants in star control?

>there's no interactive interplanetary travel
not yet

Attached: warframe_fortuna_venus_spacebattles_1080p.jpg (1000x563, 247K)

Skytown in Metroid Prime 3

Does No Man Sky have gas giants?

I see you have yet to make acquaintance with DE and their "promises"

It barely even has planets

If anything they still have yet to break the rule of 'what you see is what you get'

What happened now? Did they ex all the planned planets or what?

Mars is a bitch because even if it's pretty close, it's just too small. The only way to see actual features on its surface beyond a red glowing small dot is to get a decent telescope and wait for it to be in opposition to earth. Decent telescopes are crazy expensive tho, talking about more than 1 or 2 thousand dollars.

amazon.es/Telescopio-700-76-smartphone-adaptador-DKA5/dp/B01I3BWICA?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_930887031_4&pf_rd_p=978eeee1-4efd-5aa0-b4b8-0711e154aeb1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=930887031&pf_rd_m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&pf_rd_r=G0KA849M85NBRQFCFMGP&pf_rd_r=G0KA849M85NBRQFCFMGP&pf_rd_p=978eeee1-4efd-5aa0-b4b8-0711e154aeb1

This is the one i used to see the planets and it's more than enough to see saturn's rings.

>everything is a dot
>mars is a slightly red dot

The thing is that not EVERYTHING is a dot, and to manage your expectations about it. Check out venus for example. You won't see much on it but the fact that you can see it has phases like the moon is just enough to get me pumped. It was the first thing i managed to catch with the tube and got me very excited because i was getting the hang of it.

For me, to see anything beyond a dot, no matter how small it is, is just fascinating. This summer i plan to go somewhere dark and start looking for stuff from messier's catalogue.

Attached: venus.jpg (640x480, 24K)

kino, i guess you are an amateur but how legit is this?
youtube.com/watch?v=u6-QSxaEy54

Hagalaz isn't a gas giant but it's atmosphere similar.

Attached: 54354.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

It' s just gas that becomes liquid and then solid.

The atmosphere formed around "nothing". It' s all gravitational pull and circulation of forces. Just like our star. Except Jupiter and the other gas giants weren' t big enough to start burning.

I deleted KSP when it turned out to basically be spyware, has that changed yet?

If you can see planets as distant as Saturn in such clarity can you also spot apollo 11's craft with that telescope?

for new astronomers, if you want to see something that is definitely not a dot
Aim your telescope (or heck binoculars) at the Andromeda Galaxy

even with the cheapest telescope you'll see it's distinct shape

True.
I'm ready to be surprised, but I don't expect it. We saw some good shit at Tennocon but it looked unpolished, they better have worked their asses off.

>It' s all gravitational pull and circulation of forces
Who's gravitational pull? Who's forces?
You can't just have a gravity field around nothing, there needs to be something there first

it's impossible to see features that small on other worlds from earth sadly enough

it was formed over millions of years, small particles bumping together, slowly increasing their gravitational pull.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q0kteyMDnwE

BORN TOO SOON TO EXPLORE SPACE

Everything with mass has gravity, you just don't recognize it in day-to-day life because Earth is fucking huge.

But born at the right time to pirate anything I want and not pay for anything

also something interesting about Jupiter's "ice"
its created purely by pressure, not temperature
in fact it has a temperature exceeding 60,000 degrees (pick your favorite unit, it doesn't matter)

Well that's pretty crazy. I don't know if I even qualify as amateur, but astrography is unbelievably expensive, so that dude who catched that probably isn't an amateur. That's someone who's balls deep in this.

I don't know if that's legit, but that looks like a storm. I'm skeptical that he managed to filter the reflected sunlight while catching the storm. That sounds like the kind of stuff you need special wavelength perceptors for and shit that you'd find in nasa's telescopes.

With an amateur telescope? I don't think you can see that with Hubble. You can see the space station tho.

Attached: space station.jpg (800x533, 66K)

that pic is great wow, where do you live?

This feels like cheating but I guess it kinds makes sense

Attached: 1517073858955.png (512x512, 228K)

Prepare your anuses for some actual space kino

youtube.com/watch?v=KDp1tiUsZw8

I get the chills at the "how about that". So humbling.

Attached: mamma mia.png (500x461, 44K)

gonna express my doubts and or respects if that's one of his pictures because the ISS is a right bitch to track long enough for a proper picture

>You can see the space station tho.
Doesn't that zoom around faster than you can keep up?

I didn't take any of these pictures. Got them from google, but the point is that this is the kind of shit you can get to see if you put time into this. And the space station isn't particularly hard to see i think.

Maybe I had a shit telescope then

I wonder how drowning in a gas giants atmosphere would feel like. First you are falling in gas before long you're in some liguid substinance, the problem being you can't swim up. Disregarding getting ripped apart by all the other forces down there.

Honestly anything out of our atmosphere is pretty hardcore

Yes, an inbalance.

As soon as a gas cloud is thicker at one end than the other, it starts to pull the other gas in.

Would bacterial life be possible in Jupiter's atmosphere?

Microbial life exists in some fucked up places, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Europa probably has liquid oceans under it's ice surface though.

Depends on how much you want to zoom in i guess. Never tracked it myself so who knows.

If Mercury is on average the closest planet to Earth why haven't we sent there robots to mine and bring back minerals to pay off the huge US debt back to the Chinese?

It's hot and im sure there are treaties and stuff
Plus how will we get thr robot back?

Apollo 11 is far too small to see...

Because mercury is pretty much like the moon, and if we don't bother with the moon anymore, why would we go to mercury?

Mercury has a core and it's mostly made of iron. The moon is just rock

>Treaties
None that I'm aware of. We haven't bothered because we are more interested in Mars, Europa, etc. Does Mercury even have anything to money besides what said? Also getting back to earth I'd throw challenge. We need to get people to Mars, a relatively safe planet before we try mercury, a nightmare zone.

Mercury is actually pretty chill at night. It's just hot during the day. There are spots of permanent shadow with ice caps even over there.

>costs more than just normally pay debts
>one guy starts going everybody will go
>seriously the money can be put to better use

The UN considers everything is space "the common heritage of mankind" so you can't legally own any space stuff. It's the same treaty that prevents anyone from digging for oil in Antarctica.

How come space threads don't get deleted on Yea Forums?

How come they are so comfy?

Attached: TJ.jpg (555x520, 17K)

Plus our tides and day/night and possibly our trade winds rely on the moon's gravitational pull
If there was really anything there taking it would piss off literally all of earth
The outer space treaty says that anything out there is not too be a property of any country

Mercury isn't closest to Earth, that's Venus
Mercury is closest to the SUN which is actually a major issue as in space, slowing down is just as costly as speeding up and as a result it's about as difficult to get to Mercury as it is to get to Jupiter

Video games are not allowed here

because right now the energy and effort to go and mine planets moons and asteroids almost universally is more expensive than just getting the shit on earth.

the real next phase is when it becomes comparatively cheap to mine planets, especially the asteroid belt, some asteroids have more iron than we have ever mined in the history of man but the cost of actually getting there, mining it and bringing it back is far in-excess than its earthly value.

also lol, enjoy the UN trying to regulate space because its looking likely that space will be explored and colonized by companies supported by their nation rather than national bodies themselves, the UN will quickly have to shift their stance on space once it becomes easier for companies to head out and set up colonies and mining systems

If you're going to mine something in space the best bet is going to be Earth's trojan asteroids
and even then, with the current technology, not even platinum would be cost efficient

Atmospheric Pressure would crush you to death long before drowning was a concern.

Which planet is closest changes all the time because of orbital periods, and actually Mercury is the closest more often than Venus or Mars.

Moonbase when.

The moment a single gram of silicon is returned from any outer planet china will instantly assemble cheap robots and steak it all
And honestly if you think the UN has or had any power you're dumb

He said on average. Venus gets to be closer to earth, but it also gets to be farther away, so maybe mercury is closer on average, given it spins faster around the sun.

true enough, but in space distance doesn't matter all that much
what matters is your delta V budget, and to get to Mercury it's going to be significantly larger than for Venus or Mars

China landed on the moon recently. They're not capable of going mining, they would have attempted it by now. You know how greedy they are

they went around the moon, they didnt land

Exactly. If we ever get to mine in space Mercury will be the most cost efficient planet. It will also be a good platform for launching due to its proximity with the sun which we can use to sling shot us anywhere across the solar sistem.

read the thread mate, Mercury is in absolutely no way cost efficient
the way we get to Mercury is to engage in multiple flyby's of Venus just to save fuel

is it me or just looking at it just seems to haunting? I cant explain it

Why Mercury anyways
I'm more scared of messing up gravity and pulling us into the sun
Best choice is to pull in wandering asteroids and use their materials to explore for more wandering asteroids

The field of cracking open space rocks for their space gold is solidly in the ballpark of the private sector, which is really uncomfortable with things like "developing technology to mine for things no legitimate government on Earth currently allows us to legally own."

It's just surreal. You see it in text books and you're told that it exists and that it's just out there, and you give it for granted. But when you get to see it with your naked eye it sort of hits you the fact that all those fancy renders and representations are not a fantasy.

There's a completely different world out there and it has nothing to do with anything we know.

this, asteroids is far superior of a choice because of the amount of resources and mars is on the way. we wont be mining asteroids until we have set up on mars so we might as well focus on the asteroids since mars is on the way

also this, people need to realize that space is is going to be china vs western private companies

Its just grabbing random rocks and dropping them in a desert. Way better than ruining forests and stuff

Saw it through a video instead of the article, but there is a controversial study that the rover discovered mushrooms on Mars.

>I'm more scared of messing up gravity and pulling us into the sun
fun fact it is easier to escape the solar system entirely than to hit the Sun

Always remember: any change in velocity in space requires fuel, and hitting the sun means a MASSIVE change in velocity

try KSP, it has it's serious flaws but it's decent at explaining orbital mechanics to novices

Is this now? Or are the rings oriented different again?

A rock you don't own. There's no law stopping me from just taking it. Or let's say you build a base on the moon to mine for Helium-3, but while you're setting up the habitat I put my space tent where your mine is supposed to go, and legally you can't do shit because you can't own the land.

It did look like that last summer.

>Legally you can't do shit
Our first star wars is soon to happen!

>what is any Star Wars game featuring Bespin

Bespin is many things but a gas giant it is not
it behaves in every way like a thick atmosphere earth-like planet

When the fuck is the Space Engine version with VR support. Its been month since it was announced for steam.

It may behave like an Earth-like planet but it's still a gas giant.

there's absolutely no way a gas giant could be have like an earth-like planet
it's star wars, they're incompetent enough to mistake a particularly cloudy planet for a gas giant

>it's star wars
Exactly. So why are you looking for realism? Lightsabers and the way space combat works are pretty fucking unrealistic as well.

Beautiful.

thing is, when people in a space thread look for gas giant gameplay, they're generally looking for something that resembles a plausible gas giant, not Bespin

>not just calculating exactly when it will zoom over your field of view
step it up senpai

Megaton Rainfall you can.

Then you'd have to have incredible reflexes to snap a picture of it in just a few milliseconds

doesn't work, astronomy photos require shutter times ranging from several minutes to several hours