I keep hearing that the current AAA gaming industry is unsustainable. Why is that?

I keep hearing that the current AAA gaming industry is unsustainable. Why is that?

Attached: Arthas.jpg (125x125, 2K)

Games want to make exponentially more as time goes by, which is cascading into what we have now. Publishers already make tons of money with the current outright extortionate systems but that won't be enough next earnings call so they'll have to nickle and dime harder until you end up with mobile game levels of jewery for as much money as the can get, then they'll be expected to make more on top of that. At this rate, I'd say in about 5 years there wont be enough people in the world to fund the greedy chase AAA publishers are in and we'll see everything fall apart.

Have you lost your mind arthas?!

niggers keep raping each other

What will happen at that point?

Attached: cock.png (252x279, 63K)

This entire industry must be purged.

>all the old experienced/big name producers have retired or been fired because corporate doesn't like "strong" personalities because how dare they know better than the outsourced market resource focus groups we hired to tell us what you already know
>all the highly educated/skilled programmers/designers have been replaced with temporary foreign workers or 'diversity' hires who are absolute dogshit at their job but they are unfirable because DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH
>game x made y billion dollars in china, so why can't you do the same here in the na/eu region with none of the budget or the fact that our publisher isn't holding a defacto monopoly in the region with not even 1/10th the playerbase. Stop making excuses and start making money
>we already own all these IPs why not just do a rehash/remaster/x-port?
>why spend money on development when we can spend money developing a cash shop?

BECAUSE GLOBALISM IS CANCER. SOCIAL JUSTICE IS CANCER. BECAUSE THE INDUSTRY GO SO BIG AND SUCCESSFUL THAT IT ATE ITSELF. BECAUSE FUCK MMORPGS AND THE PHONE GAME MICRO/MACRO TRANSACTION BULLSHIT THAT THEY SPAWNED.

It's not. The factors that led to the first crash are impossible to replicate. Consumers understand the merits of video games now. There will always be a demand, at least for the foreseeable future.

Companies will rise and fall, genres will become popular and fall out of favor, franchises will live and die, but there will be no crash.

One of two things, AAA publishers will realize their greed is unsustainable and they will settle for the already large sums they make and the industry will stabilize or we will see a reckoning the likes of which will make the Atari crash look like a mere minor downturn. I think I know which one it'll be.

Games became more mainstream. Game publishers capitalized on this by making games with bigger and bigger budgets. AAA Games eventually became too expensive to make. Rather than increase the base price of AAA games, developers found ways to siphon extra money over a period of time. DLCs and microtransactions became more common. The cost if AAA games continues to rise, however, and social media has been doing favors to no one. Social media causes an endless string of controversies and culture battles on a regular basis. Not just between fans, but between fans and developers too.

Just because you want something to happen, doesn't mean it will. Don't confuse the two, that's called wishful thinking.

>Companies will rise and fall, genres will become popular and fall out of favor, franchises will live and die, but there will be no crash.
AAA development WILL crash under its own weight. Much like Hollywood blockbusters will in the coming years. Indie game development and mobile gaming will flourish in the vacuum created by AAA.

See Your problem is that you think audiences are a hivemind and will suddenly dismiss an entire industry because of a few failures. There have been plenty of high-profile failures over the years, people just buy other games. Anthem being shit didn't stop me from playing RE2make, DMC5, or Sekiro.

If/when a company's business model fails, they will either try something else or go out of business and be replaced/merged with someone else.

Couldn't you make the argument that Piracy brought on the demand for microtransactions? If they can't get their money from the game's purchase, then they needed to get their money somehow.

Attached: big boss.png (350x350, 185K)

>when you read it in his voice

Attached: jobs done.gif (163x160, 15K)

that'sh pretty how I always post.

Attached: bane2.gif (371x500, 2.13M)

The whole industry needs to be purged

they spend too much money and dev time on graphics and then expect their barebone graphics demos to sell like hot cake.

im looking at you bioware.

piracy definitely damages the sales and quality of single player games.

Less talent working on games, more people with useless degrees in the industry that have to learn the ropes by experienced people, taking away time actually working on the game. The only thing the people with one of those game degrees can do is make a dime a dozen stories and characters that are alphabetletters-inclusive. Not enough focus on gameplay. Companies are distancing themselves from their customers. Outrage culture stops anyone who wants to from making daring gambles. Investors have more power than ever, and they don't like their pets taking risks. I could go on but there are so many issues with the AAA industry right now.

That's not a AAA gaming industry problem, it's a neoliberalism problem built on infinite growth.

or maybe they'll start digging for the China-bux like Blizzard is doing