Halo CEA is truly the best example of soulless

Attached: soul_removal.jpg (1280x1440, 1.17M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R0kHvA1JOfI
youtube.com/watch?v=K7SyA-j4wxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TqDWE5K7VWc
youtube.com/watch?v=799SoFscOYI
youtube.com/watch?v=C7g-c3SlxAY
youtube.com/watch?v=CcqYoGP44io
youtube.com/watch?v=5n06Y0EzaUM
youtube.com/watch?v=NpOVKbM7vlA
youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1e7UjYS58
youtube.com/watch?v=gDUnp0I5YJU
youtube.com/watch?v=CIe4E4-lQnI
youtube.com/watch?v=h6oHQhDM73w
youtube.com/watch?v=wAx3oWG6vQk
youtube.com/watch?v=JRpeL4Ob4JU
youtube.com/watch?v=zcUwZ90lFfM
youtube.com/watch?v=N_0siI3oyTg
youtube.com/watch?v=s_zm9DaEGwM
youtube.com/watch?v=VNx0feJAFZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=POIgEOsJ8N4
youtube.com/watch?v=bat1QaCtDhY
youtube.com/watch?v=rI3dEz03Tuo
youtube.com/watch?v=BSqm5Id6Hw0
youtube.com/watch?v=meLg7jSHT20
youtube.com/watch?v=jdcP1Rhk0Fw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfhkPcCGbLE
youtube.com/watch?v=C4wfoXLeOv4
imgur.com/a/OOF1r
imgur.com/a/6FqzO
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ZUJSdjgxUXctZ2s
imgur.com/a/Pb9Vq
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ckt0ZDdWaG1WSkk
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42Sk9iamNQaW81V3c
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42aUIwbUZxWHJ0V1E
artstation.com/artwork/WKX3D
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>dirt road

Attached: 1422946738238.jpg (531x471, 72K)

You had to try harder with the styling of the game when you aren't able to spam fauna everywhere.

Looks okay. Halo 2 remake looked great.

>add an atmosphere
This literally means soul.

it's from the crash you mong

>Just make it blue bro

Attached: blue.jpg (1080x1228, 961K)

Reminds me of Metroid Prime honestly

GAME LOOKS BETTER NOW SO IT'S BAD

Attached: 1553758072111.png (1217x1015, 708K)

>mudslime poster
>is also retarded

it checks out

I was less annoyed by some of the environments being off so much as the fact that they just ported 99% of the models right from Reach instead of actually making fresh Halo 1 styled assets.

Attached: 1544826274557.jpg (1080x1920, 207K)

Stfu man, halo is always good

top looks better

Attached: infinite (1).png (1920x831, 1.95M)

>flora
At least get the terminology right if you’re going to flex that big brain of yours.

OP is right, soul/soulless is kinda sily imo but CEA is just a complete misfire. Firstly the terminals and the button to instantly changed graphics are great, and their commitment to making it play *exactly* the same was commendable.

But as another pointed out using Reach assets did not recreate the look of CE, it resulted in this odd mix between the bright expressive colours of CE and the far more dour and gritty look of Reach. Reach look works for Reach given the subject matter, CE lacking in colour loses the sense of wonder and beauty that it originally held.

The real issue is they used the godawful gearbox pc port as the starting point which meant the animations all looked choppy being stuck at 30 fps even if the game was running at a higher framerate.

>wojack poster
>shit post

Attached: 57412.png (605x447, 335K)

CE:A would have been better as a full-remake instead of what they tried to do, Halo 1 is just too old. Not that CE:A looks too bad right now, but it would have fixed some of the issues with lighting and the proportions of some of the human characters. If you want something ugly play SPV3.

The trees are in the location and they just added grass. Also, it's flora, not fauna, the denominations are pretty self-explanatory.

>just hide the shit draw distance with black fog bro

No, the real issue is that even though you could switch between the new graphics or the old graphics on the fly, the sfx were stuck on the new, weak sounding ones.

Halo: CE had some of the best sound design ever, Anniversary completely gutted it.

>Halo: CE had some of the best sound design ever, Anniversary completely gutted it
You can't actually be serious. Halo 1 has horribly generic and weak sound effects. Anniversary did a much better job with sound design.
youtube.com/watch?v=R0kHvA1JOfI

Attached: 1553490071047.png (224x436, 42K)

SPV3 is pretty good gameplay wise, visuals are as good as the custom edition allows, the real problem is the fucking memes & jokes they put in the game, i hate when modders do that

What memes?

>visuals are as good as the custom edition allows
No. There's a big difference between using what you can to make the game look good and making horrible choices when it comes to picking how the foliage and colors look. But other than that, I enjoyed playing it more than I did vanilla CE because at least in SPV3 I could use the assault rifle for something other than bullet diarrhea.

Remaster, dumb ass.

at least it conveys a more ominous atmosphere

all the unnecessary padding in top is a distraction

I tried so hard to enjoy the new visuals but they look so bad. The forerunner stuff looks great but the elites and other stuff are so bad. I know it's Reach models but they suck

Attached: DlHfR7eXgAETLIi.jpg large.jpg (1762x2015, 144K)

The only remaster that has ever offended me

what'd you expect?
the original game was mediocre at best

>OLD GOOD
>NEW BAD

Attached: npc144dfd.jpg (205x246, 5K)

i don't know about that. halo sorta introduced the concept of high ttk brawly combat. It made shooters more fun to play on consoles.

I hated the new ring look. It makes it appear smaller than the original.

the screens in pillar of autumn say something like "keyes sucks" & some other meme

>game set chronologically right after Reach should have completely different character designs and atmosphere because old thing good and new thing bad

yes objectively zoomzoom

I had the same problem with h2a. The delta halo cutscene turns a really interesting shot that compares the size of In Amber Clad to the ring, but the blue cutscene completely botches it

>Halo
>Soul
remember when halobabbies were the worst thing that Yea Forums had to deal with?

wrong

>remember when halobabbies were the worst thing that Yea Forums had to deal with?
no I don't, I've been here since 2011

glad I missed out

Remember what they did to the level 343 Guilty Spark? The one spooky level in a dark jungle. holy shit they ruined the fuck out of that level.

and I've been here since 2010, what's your point?
though fuck at least you people talk about video games, albeit bad ones, I'd take that 100/100 times over the Reddit migrants that have infested the place for the past 5 years

This, Silent Hill 2 hid poor draw distance with an assload of fog but that just added to the atmosphere

>stop discussing games because they don't play the same as quake, not japanese and on console
halo haters are literally meme regurgitating larping oldfags

>game set chronologically just before the first title of the series should completely change character designs in a complete departure of the established art style of the series
same shit applies to reach

The art style was revamped, and the remasters of older entries were tailored to suit the change

no you can't be serious, the new hd versions sound so obnoxious. In general bungie handled sound design even in the later games better than 343.

the art style was ruined you mean

Halo 1 shouldn't suffer because Bungie lost all their artistic talent.

>press a button
>get the soul back
I don't see the issue

The whole trilogy takes place over the course of like 2 months. Halo CE is set like a week or two after Reach. H2A is way more faithful than CEA, and 3 didn't get changed at all. If anything, Reach shouldn't have looked so different.

youtube.com/watch?v=K7SyA-j4wxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TqDWE5K7VWc
Someone should put these side-by-side

Attached: 1552516268666.jpg (5120x2880, 2.83M)

Enjoy playing with minecraft-tier graphics then my nigga, Bungie ain't coming back
I wouldn't say that
>If anything, Reach shouldn't have looked so different.
I agree, but I do appreciate CEA being brought into line with the drastic changes that Reach made

they should've brought reach in line with the rest of the series instead

>"no you"
>no argument other than "I don't like it"
I accept your concession.

Attached: 1553248201964.jpg (640x470, 159K)

Only the shotgun, assault rifle and plasma nades sound arguably better. Everything else sounds worse

Also the idiot author forgot to include other weapons

Wrong, Halo CE marines are still canon

Halo CEA is simply a badly made remaster and it will have to be remade with or without 343is help. PC modders will fix it and make a proper remaster with high def graphical fidelity while preserving the original style of the game assets, the lighting/time of day and mood of Halo CE.

Attached: 1553127115265.png (962x980, 1.48M)

Attached: more_blue.jpg (1080x1214, 714K)

>Halo CE marines are still canon
source?

>343 should have completely redone a game that had just come out at the time they did CEA
Read your post before submitting next time.

The Pillar of Autumn is the navy. The soldiers in Reach are the army. They shouldn't have the same gear.

me

Attached: file.png (1200x846, 1.14M)

You can always go back to the old graphics right?

Actually that's a compilation of the videos 343 released. Because of Anniversary not having the classic sounds you'd have to load up the original version to compare them unlike Halo 2 Anniversary.
Classic
youtube.com/watch?v=799SoFscOYI

Nu
youtube.com/watch?v=C7g-c3SlxAY

Attached: 1553181003219.png (806x898, 237K)

CEA looked decent graphically but it feels like too much of the art style was lost
but at least it's not """"halo""""" 4/5

Attached: 1536664756370.jpg (2555x1178, 1.49M)

Oh look, i can cherrrypick too!

Attached: Halo CEA_Comparison_01.jpg (3105x4368, 3.41M)

I actually like most of the new weapon sounds but how come whenever you slightly move the gun in anyway in the new version it sounds like something is rattling inside?

Only the 2nd comparison looks better

Attached: 1546319710252.png (976x1053, 1.06M)

Left: soul
Right: soulless

Everyone can have an opinion.

Attached: Halo CEA_Comparison_02.jpg (3843x3246, 3.25M)

Which Transformers movie is this from?

it's from call of halo 5

>Left: i played it as a happy kid
>Right: i played it as a grumpy adult

SPV3 looks far worse

Only AOTCR looks better, the rest again look like they're a totally different art style

Nothing looks better or worse. Art style preference isn't an objective thing.

I think the character models are the worst part of CEA. Even the Chief's model looks off. His chest is too fat and his visor looks off without the shadow cast on it.

Attached: xFXXToi.png (451x526, 335K)

mental illness

It's honestly the only problem I have with CEA.
I love it, otherwise. But when it came to the atmospherics and attempting to replicate them, they really did miss the mark.

That's just an odd angle.

>visor looks off without the shadow cast on it
Agreed but to be fair, in CE the shadow was just painted over.

Attached: cea chief comp.png (488x413, 328K)

His visor is also too wide and the side angle is fucked. His arms are too tiny as well. What a mess.

But the left looks better in every example. Is that the point?

It's the shoulders and torso. If they made the torso look a bit more compact and form fitting like the original did I think it would look fine.
It's like they just added more bulk onto it.

>odd angle
Even in your pic his torso is longer.

youtube.com/watch?v=CcqYoGP44io
youtube.com/watch?v=5n06Y0EzaUM
youtube.com/watch?v=NpOVKbM7vlA
youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1e7UjYS58
youtube.com/watch?v=gDUnp0I5YJU
youtube.com/watch?v=CIe4E4-lQnI

Attached: 1552516586610.jpg (5120x2880, 2.45M)

That's your opinion m8. I respect your art style preference and i'd expect the same from you if i prefer the pics on the right.

>left
>right
>left
>right
>left

looks like the OG wins

Because even in that shot the angle isn't exactly the same. All cutscenes were reshot in different angles than the original.

That's really cool and inspiring but the post specifically says cherrypicking which is what I'm questioning.

It's weird how CEA has some problem with its art style, btu I genreally think it's fine.
But then we look at H2A and it looks pretty flawless, or rather they just adapted the art style better.

Some guns depending on their caliber or build can cause them to make a rattling noise when you move them around. However for this case and other cases in video games it's likely to fill silent space. I like the rattle sound the new pistol whip animation has because it fits but I'm not a fan of it on the sniper rifle.

Attached: 1552926456920.jpg (1536x1152, 100K)

left is objectively better in every screen

remasters rarely ever look good because they never have as much thought put into them. With CEA this is really very much the case. They've just import assets from a newer game, destroyed old lighting & atmosphere and replaced with generic stock photo wallpaper-tier beaches and forests not paying attention to any of the artistic choices of the original game.

maybe if they had the original enviroment artists and shit from Halo CE work on the remaster, it could have worked. What we got was garbage though. Halo 2A isn't quite as bad (even nice in some areas) but it too features some atrocious artistic choices that will have to be fixed by modders on the PC version to match the original Halo 2.

H2A is what happens when you actually make assets for a game.

I'd be scared to, Reach? Yuck!

God i hate halo 5
Didn't 343 say they didn't realize that master chief was the main character of halo?

desu sometimes the anniversary soundtrack felt like it was adding too many bells & whistles to some of the songs but I actually like a few of these more than the original.

>objectively
Stopped reading there.

Attached: 1553184655288.jpg (600x518, 51K)

Me on the left

No idea, this is literally the first time i've seen this argument.

Nope, Chief has baby arms.

Attached: image.png (413x761, 614K)

>tfw I remember CE looking like the remaster

nostaliga yo

Yes, objectively. You are visually illiterate if you prefer Halo CEA graphicvs over the original game.

What's with Yea Forums calling everything that has better graphics "soulless"?
Do you get off to looking at dated, pixelated low poly graphics or something?

Pretty sad how it was praised for being good when it ruins the atmosphere of the original.

Just a weird angle/fucked up focal lenght in that specific shot.

Attached: cea chief.png (228x463, 180K)

Nope, he still has Baby arms

Attached: image (1).png (428x719, 580K)

the new one has objectively shittier lighting, it has a dirt road for no reason, the cliffs look terrible, the foliage replacement is terrible, the color palette is terrible, the sense of scale is lost, it feels too lived in, everything about is atrocious.

I think the only problem I had with H2A was something to do with the soundmixing. It felt off and I don't know why. It didn't help that the subtitles are like a second late either. Something about the spatial awareness that I was so used to in the original that sometimes felt empty.

Also some of the OST changes are a little odd. Maybe i'm just used to hearing the original score - by the way, the original score is fucking quiet compared to the new game's mix. I don't know if that's because they based this off the PC version.
Follow and Blow Me Away were replaced, though I'm fairly certain it's because they couldn't or didn't care to get the license for HQ versions of those songs.
Some of the adaptations just don't sound as good because why would they? They aren't bad, just not as good as the original.
At the very least they got Steve Vai back on staff and he helped make the only song on the Anniversary OST that I like better than the original.
youtube.com/watch?v=h6oHQhDM73w

Maybe modders will make it so we can get the original score but with better soundmixing for them so they aren't stupidly quiet.

t. person who loves H2 the most of the series and played a billion hours of it

Attached: freefall.webm (800x450, 2.91M)

Saber didn't bother to make a new texture for the gold sentinel beam, so there was no way to tell which was which on new graphics.

OH NO NO NO NO

Older games weren't designed with such detail and graphical fidelity in mind so the overall look becomes generic and clumsy looking.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that he thing about H2A I dislike the most is that the subtitles are like a full second slow.

What a disgusting butchering of that level. Remakes need to stop.

>remakes
It's a remaster, not a remake.

>a dirt road
if you're talking about the one in the OP, isn't that just were the soil was thrown out of the way when the lifepod was landing?

There's nothing wrong with his body proportions. As far as i know the spartan augmentations aren't supposed to abnormally enlarge their arms.

Attached: 22a13b0dc9eed92bd9af0ca6fc0f6e75.png (900x699, 419K)

what's the difference

>kokonoe walks up to you, pulls her panties around her ankles and threatens to scream unless you give her 10000 yen
Literally how do you respond to this situation?

>animeposter
>shitpost

It is flora hes referring to trees u fag

i want to be absolutely raped and claimed by a cute onee-san

She's the cunnies bunnies. Post more.

T-REX ARM HAVING

>melee empty air in old game
>woosh noise

>melee empty air in CEA
>chunky metallic sound, like Chief just shoved another Spartan

I am 100% convinced that they wanted to kill Master Chief in halo 5, but the backlash from putting Locke in all the advertising convinced them other wise. Probably why there's only 3 chief missions.

I wish I could find the torrent for a subbed version of Ghost Stories dub.

You have no understanding of artistic stylization, do you? Halo CE had a distinct "Aliens" vibe in it's designs and themes. The Anniversary completely replaced that with the gritty, modern sci-fi look of Reach. Which isn't bad, but it isn't CE. They would've been better off making new models that better represented the tone and style of CE.

The only they it really needs fixed is some of the moods of a couple the levels and masterchief's body.

>cover every surface in gratuitous detail turning every frame into a busy mess
>disregard moody atmosphere and lighting in exchange for flat lighting so you can see all the new details

it's true, 353 fundamentally misunderstood the appeal of CE's visuals. they fucked it up

he said fauna in his post you fucking retard

Attached: rK0eJK7.jpg (400x310, 44K)

>MORE DETAIL = BAD
Fucking hell, just play with the original graphics then.

user, you can literally swap instantly to the older style at the press of a button, literally has a soul.

Can I reach this aesthetic natty?

There's nothing wrong with the length of the arm. It's the other parts of the armor that in turn make it look wrong.
The thighs, waist, and torso look too thick.

This 10yr old has a cute flabby butt!

I really enjoy both, the top has the spooky swamp feel while the bottom is more alien. Just preference at this rate.

it's about the balance of detail, not the amount of detail, that makes a scene look good. you absolute brainlet

H2A as well but at least Halo CEA and Halo 2A are both really colorful like the original games.

Attached: H2OvsH2A.jpg (2048x2048, 317K)

Funny that people keep pretending it looks wrong, when liefeld just traced over a photo.

Attached: ahnold.jpg (931x524, 56K)

both look kinda soulless desu

From a game construction standpoint it's always neat to see what they did to the game.
Also this

Attached: H2A.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

I'm at a loss here, are you fags now pushing the idea that bottom looks worse somehow?

It's not just the detail. They've completely changed the color tone of the area. This area had a pleasant coolness to it before, and a lot of this was drawn from the color of the surrounding mountains. Then they just made them generic orange rocks covered with a shitload of detail no one cares about and brightly lit to make sure you notice. You might not have noticed small nuances like this because you're a literal pleb.

Actually there's one thing about this part of Regret in general, and that's that the water in the original had some rippling effects i think looked nicer than the fair waters in the remake.

all true. if you want to see the worst offender by far look at all the forerunner interiors in silent cartographer. they completely ruined it

It's more like i just like what i see instead of obsessively looking for stuff to complain.

That underwater elevator part was way better in anniversary.

That only works if you're a normalfag because normalfags have poor memory and are blinded by nostalgia.

Yeah because you can actually see what's happening in it. that fucking elevator never made any sense to me though. Stupid wonka elevator.

Interesting, that's pretty cool.

The bottom looks soulless because it's missing that color that Halo 2 had that brought in the soul.

Tbh the bottom actually looks better in this except for the covenant ship.
I like that in the top one its like the ship is so huge but so far away it is impossible to notice any of the finer details which makes it incredibly ominous and imposing

Attached: 1535620932437.png (383x447, 263K)

It ruined the mystery from the original game.

You gotta love how Bungie programmed the out of bounds area in the event that you somehow got to there

Attached: 1551954708963.jpg (1280x1263, 258K)

The original had more fog, that's the PC version
CEA is more accurate ignoring the BLUE

tell her I have to get it from my bank cause I don't carry that much and when she follows me she's made her mistake

This "soul-soulless" meme is the lowest IQ argument nu/v/ has come up with yet. It's just a another way of saying "it's different, therefore worse" without actually elaborating on why with convincing or compelling arguments.

Attached: 2A changes.jpg (1080x1228, 1.06M)

How the absolute fuck has the MKV never been better or just as good as CE? The MKVI is in every game since 2 and it's managed to stay consistent yet the MKV some how manages to get redesigned every single time.

Attached: 1414714848566.jpg (199x399, 31K)

user...it was a fucking grey murky lake and if you were lucky you might see a fish.

Wrong.

user you couldn't even fucking SEE in the original. This would be different if it was the Guilty Spark level where the level looked ominous and was made too bright in the remaster. This is something you straight up can't fucking see in.
You literally can't see anything outside that elevator except blue lights. In H2A, it's still dark but you can see ruins now. Fuck off it 'ruins the mystery'.

Mystery my ass, you can't see a fucking thing.

It works like this
>If they changed it, it's soulless because it ruined the original
>If they didn't change it, it's still soulless because they didn't improve anything

Attached: 1551819027738.gif (300x300, 252K)

And if you're double lucky, a school of fish might swim through your elevator.

Thanks for proving my point retard.

who cares

It's fucking criminal. Mk. V is perfection yet it's always ruined in execution.

>i want to play this old game again!
>oh, but cannot just play the old game! i need new graphics!
>no, i dont want new levels, it needs to be same game! my autism couldnt handle new levels! just new graphics!
>noooo why does it now not look like the old game? and no, i still cannot just play the old game! like i said i need NEW GRAPHICS you jerk!

The Halo 3/5 version looks way better.

Attached: mark v comp.png (483x483, 337K)

ITS A FEATURE NOT A LIMITATION!

>He traced over a photo that doesnt have Captain America flexing destroying the point of his chest showing up on the right side, making it anatomically incorrect

"h*lo" 5 looks like trash

>the middle one

Attached: 1536023175144.png (809x492, 373K)

>number 6
what the FUCK where they thinking

But it's the same model as Halo 3.

False, but it and reach's are the best attempts.
Don't even fucking start about 343's abomination.

Attached: Kill me.jpg (488x673, 51K)

Anything for Quarantine Zone?

Attached: QZ.jpg (1600x1200, 603K)

why does it look like it was stung by a swarm of wasps

I OBVIOUSLY didn't mean the Alpha abortion.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 84K)

>SHIT GRAPHICS = SOUL

Attached: .jpg (638x1000, 86K)

The most hilarious thing about the argument that CEA is souless is that you literally have a dedicated button to go go back and play the original on the fly.

It was a limitation. However there were other, larger parts of the game before guilty spark that did not have fog in it.
Therefore the fog in Guillty spark was a stylistic choice for atmosphere. Doubled by the fact that the flood forms in the beginning of the level are obscured by fog, giving a very ominous presence. It actually gave a sense of mystery, unlike saying that complete obscurity is 'mystery'.
The problem in CEA is that they did not keep the same amount of atmosphere. They could have turned down world lighting a bit, and changed the lighting effects to be less blue and it would probably fix it for the better.

To be honest I thought you were just baiting, good to know you were genuinely expressing your opinion

Where're the bright colors?

I've got nothing on Quarantine Zone.
It's a pretty fucking hectic level that I never actually tried to get out of bounds for it.

best thing is that this should be easily accomplishable things in the PC version

>being able to swap between classic and new on the fly excuses new for being dog shit
no.

It was a mystery, built on the Forerunner mystery that was lost in Halo 2A.

Not yet.

When they were remaking these games they were thinking a bit to scientifically with their lighting.
They wanted things to be the right length away and to have correct lighting on it. Because the lighting is being cast on the direction we see it we no longer see the shadow.

I've been out more than once. There really isn't much. Think delta halo if it was flat and snowy.

That level is a bit of a retread of an earlier level which also had some fog but it was much clearer and white. So, yeah, the black fog was a feature.

being able to use old graphics doesn't make the new graphics immune to criticism

Might as well play the game blindfolded.
>oh wow, so """mysterious"""

>It was a mystery, built on the Forerunner mystery that was lost in Halo 2A.
I completely disagree and think that you - sir - are on crack.

Attached: pack.png (1920x1080, 3.74M)

Halo 2 made me wonder what was out there, Anniversary completely ruins that feeling. Even the music fits well for that part.

HAHA LIKE POTTERY THING AMIRITE ???

I wholesomely agree

It was, I always wonder what was out there and the music helped, now Anniversary ruined that by revealing everything.

I’ll tell you what was out there, fish and muddy water. At least in the new version it gives us something to look at and adds some ruins.

I don't get it, it looks like the same game just given better particles and updated graphics, with a little bit of a Reach twist on the assets.

>traces a photo of a man flexing, taken from an angle and draws it as a dude standing sideways
Was Liefeld a retard too?

Attached: 6042290+_81d69564a5d7a28ae80c8fb6835ceb77.jpg (538x466, 64K)

M Y S T E R Y

Attached: hrhgfhrthrte.jpg (1276x677, 49K)

No. It goes from "what's there?" to "What are those ruins for?"
There is mystery that is still there. your expectations are retarded if you think seeing ruins underwater that you can't go to is considered "ruining" mystery.

Reach is one of the best art styles in the whole Halo series desu

Attached: Megumin.png (744x618, 396K)

Worst gameplay, though.

Dude, that's nostalgia speaking. Go play through that section again, it looks fucking embarrassing, like a launch Xbox game.

whoa... so mysterious...

Colors are too muted, and some of the weapon designs are too busy, like the Assault Rifle. Hands down the best armor customization though.

>the fish in the elevator

Attached: octoed.jpg (445x487, 57K)

I really liked the gameplay too.
Different but not bad. It set itself apart from the rest of the series and didn't just want to be a replacement for Halo 3, and it's a great game in its own right.

>and didn't just want to be a replacement for Halo 3
But it was.

Attached: 1518133422575.png (607x699, 553K)

Assault Rifle looked like it was a test weapon or something. The yellow stripe was odd and unneeded.
I liked the majority of the other weapons though. Except for the Focus Rifle which is trash. The Plasma Repeater is a cool design but it's fucking garbage.

I don't he doesn't have to wonder what's "out" there anymore huh?

>this is the zoomer mindset.
And yes, it does ruin the mystery.

Ignoring the fish in the elevator this looks great.

It's like Asian girls but reversed.

>Zoomer mindset for a game that only Boomers played on release

>shorter arms
>this whole thread
fucking hell, now I know what game to skip on MCC

Reach has the best UNSC military art style.
3/ODST has the best human art style for anything else.
3 has the best Forerunner art style.
2A has the best Covenant art style.
HW2 has the best brute art style.

>boomzoomdoomyoomgoomtoomroom

Motherfucker, there was no mystery in the original, it just looked bad and unfinished. I remember playing it for the first time and wondering why they'd do this section when it looked so badly made. It never got better on subsequent playthroughs. At least with 2A you could see some of the ruins and guess what they were for.

Attached: 1548285105961.png (1080x1235, 1014K)

No nigger hes saying bungie should have made reach marines better

Boomers like the original game, zoomers like the new shit.

Original:
Dark blue depths, with mysterious large shapes sometimes forming in the darkness. A true odyssey into the unknown and unfamiliar

Remake:
Dude it's Atlantis !!!

now I notice it's a different pose but why the hell is it so fucking weird

where are these from?

It looked great in the original H2A is just another case of not understanding the original, what you're going to defend the cinematography too which Bungie also did better than Blur on?

*Intimidates you*

Attached: 20190104_132736.gif (382x678, 1.57M)

In what way?
Halo 3 was a replacement for Halo 2 because it had the same core gameplay with tweaks to the balance and such
Halo Reach wasn't a replacement for 3 because the gameplay was so different from it. That's why it was able to live alongside Halo 3 for a good while before 3 died. It acted as more than just an update to the Halo formula, it acted as a spinoff that could hold its own ground.

This, I still treat it like it never happened.

>uses fucking chiron of all things as good map design
Shame, the pic had potential.

Attached: haah waaw 02.png (561x434, 294K)

Original is better in every comparison

are his arms just pulled back and his chest thrust forward or what?
holy shit

Reach > 2 = 3 > CE > 5 > 4

Reach was a replacement for 3 because 3 stopped getting support after Reach launched. It was 3 years old by that time, and Reach was the replacement game.

Chiron was the tightest shit and you'd know that if you ever played multiplayer.

>those stubby midget legs

Attached: 1524253952108.png (465x440, 243K)

Chiron is a fun map that is perfectly suited to CE's chaotic party-game multiplayer. A true pleb filter. And a good friend.

Attached: 1537478010253.png (1920x1080, 2.61M)

Stop being such a sheep and build your own opinion. You already implied that you're buying the game so just wait and see it for yourself.

When will the manlets learn

Aside from their awful art direction, 343 is really terrible about thinking of a map's setting first and then trying to build around it rather than having a map first and then dressing it up.
They're also absolutely clueless about what makes a good map in the first place. Just look at what kind of maps they accept from the community to put in the official rotation.
I know nobody plays anymore, but reach's invasion and BTB modes are almost unplayable because the maps are so fucking bad. Every, and I mean every single goddamn invasion map they added in have high points overlooking the elite spawns for spartans to sit in, and lets not even talk about fucking asphalt.

>le it's a good map because you can have retarded fun with friends XD
Every fucking time.

The fuck did they do?

What the point of playing Multiplayer if you're not playing to have fun with friends?

Original: A descent into muddy, unfinished looking models where the lighting changes ten seconds in because Bungie couldn't finish coding it in time
youtube.com/watch?v=wAx3oWG6vQk
>H2A: A dive into what looks like the actual bottom of the lake you've been fighting across, allowing you to see the ancient ruins of a civilization that looks disturbingly close to humanity
youtube.com/watch?v=JRpeL4Ob4JU

They both look like garbage

user I don't think you understand what a replacement means.
3 didn't exactly need support at that point since there was no plans for any new map packs after the third one and they didn't exactly release weapon balance updates for the game that weren't absolutely needed.
There was an update or two after Reach released regardless and Bungie still mingled with Halo 3's community.

If a multiplayer map isn't fun in multiplayer than it's not a very good map now is it?

These look fine though
Besides you can toggle this shit right

You can play CE n the original graphics with a button press. No reason to skip out on it.

Attached: Screenshot-Original (2).jpg (607x610, 332K)

retarded fun w/ friends is still good multiplayer
need to have a real argument as to why the map design is flawed before anyone can even discuss your argument

I don't know man, H4's maps were decent for the most part and so were the warzone maps in 5. The real problem lies when you look at the dull garbage they made for the normal/arena modes. I blame it on the competitive/esports bullshit.

Attached: _1554293b.jpg (2560x1440, 859K)

Sure, it looks weird (the murkiness looks more like a bug in the render) but the fact that you could only see the silhouettes of these structures did add an air of mystery. It also managed to give the illusion of depth, H2A looks smaller by comparison.

They could've easily improved upon the concept 1000x with smarter implementation of lighting and shading but instead they made everything so cleanly visible and it lost a bit of its magic.

I wanna see Nagatoro bully Master Chief now.

Then why not just play the original game then? It still retains the original sounds too

See, the one thing that makes CE look so aesthetic is the night sky being visible at all times, at least in this level.
It makes it look truly alien in a way that the other games haven't been able to match.

>Sir, how should we remake this desert plateau level?
>MAKE. IT. GREEN.
>Sir? What do you mean?
>TURN IT INTO A FUCKING RAINFOREST!!!

Attached: Screenshot-Original (3)_20170103202148050.jpg (1080x1214, 996K)

Playing fiesta on a square and flat platform with friends can be fun as fuck but that doesn't make it a prime example of great map design now does it?

What the fuck was their problem?

>me rn

Attached: this is getting good more popcorn please.jpg (400x300, 38K)

I don't personally enjoy fiesta or think that sounds fun but if people like playing it then it's a good map for them

It's a shame we didn't fight Atriox at literally fucking all.

Ooh that's bad, what were they thinking?

This thread reeks of fucking bungiefag nostalgia tards from /hg/

>there was no plans for any new map packs after the third one
Halo 3 got 4 map packs.
Either way, the game was abandoned as soon as Reach came out.

Your point stands, but that's not a rainforest.

>need to have a real argument as to why the map design is flawed before anyone can even discuss your argument
Sure why not:
>people camping/blocking the teleporters
>no smooth and really connected transition between all areas of the map
>no sense of map control
>bunch of tight corridors that make it a chaotic mess
There's a good reason that shitty map has never been considered for anything serious outside of custom games.

And yet I'll still have more fun playing it than I would any boring halo 5 map that was designed to be "competitive" aka no fun allowed

I don't get why it's nighttime in both of the pics. Isn't halo standing in the lit portion?

>he doesn't have fun in competitive

I don't know man, have you tried Halo 5 Fiesta? That shit is some of the most fun I've had in Halo in a while.

Even just seeing the ring bend up in the horizon and looking up to see it loop around is great.
I genuinely think halo has suffered from not being set on a ring or having any levels on them in recent years.

This is the only level that I hate in H1A. They completely botched the tone.

And I honestly think just making it darker with more fog and less blue would have fixed it.

I do when the maps are good. Not bland 343 garbage

>No grav lifts
>No portals
>No turrets
>No ladders
>No unique gimmicks
>Power weapons always change layout every update

They designed Halo 5 to be as lame as possible

That's a cute attempt to portray me as some kind of H5 "fan". Both chiron and 5's maps are garbage if you ask me.

HW2 was set on a ring.

Wasn't it three map packs with the final one split into two sets

>power weapons now call out to everyone when they're going to spawn because 343 doesn't understand how to make focal points in maps.

Portals and ladders haven't really been a thing since CE.
>>Power weapons always change layout every update
What's the matter with this?

Ok well I'm glad we can agree halfway. Fuck 343!

Attached: 1490332412185.png (1024x986, 281K)

It's set on the ark with a short trip to a ring.
Neither of which matter because haawaa is an RTS.

based retard

Eh, still doesn't look perfect.

Attached: 1553789190584.jpg (1080x1214, 613K)

>What's the matter with this?
Everyone knows the Sword spawn on ivory tower, the sniper on Ascension, the rockets on blood gulch, and so on. Those are memorable. Name any bungie map and I'll probably be able to name where at least 1 power weapon spawned on it.

Nobody will remember where the "plasma caster" spawns on "the rig" not only because the map is bland shit but because 343 probably moved and replaced the plasma caster 20 times already

I'm sorry you have no friends

Is the top one the PC version or the original Xbox version?

And a real human bean

Bungie shuffled around weapons spawns themselves, and the earlier games even had different layouts depending on the mode.
Bungie also gave 0 shits about post-launch balance.

It's literally identical except with better draw distance and textures that aren't completely flat

Anniversary 1 looks like shit. Anniversary 2 is good on the other hand.

That is LITERALLY what it is, and you can switch back and forth between old assets and new assets in-game in real time. Doesn't even require the pause function to re-render everything

That looks fucking great are you retarded user?

That actually looks much, much better. I wonder if PC mods will be able to completely remove that blue filter.

Yep. H2A is great. Best elite designs ever.

Attached: Screenshot-Original (3)_20170111223332934.jpg (1080x1213, 1.06M)

>I wonder if PC mods will be able to completely remove that blue filter.
That'll be the easiest thing to do with a simple ReShade.

Halo wars is kino of the highest order

Attached: Screenshot_2017-02-06-11-21-52.jpg (1280x542, 343K)

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

Attached: Halo 2 Maps.png (600x573, 724K)

>actually working lighting and shadows
Blinded by it's majesty.

Attached: lookin good.gif (1068x1200, 1.02M)

Now this is how you do a remake. Keep the geometry, keep the colors, and do your best to replicate the atmosphere (skybox, sometimes fog, and lighting are all critical here). The only thing you should be adding is detail, and even then only when you can do it without compromising the aforementioned facets.

It's alright. blur's cinimatics are gold though.
I really wish 2 wasn't the unbalanced mess that it is though.

Attached: mfw ODSTs heading downtown.png (621x696, 1015K)

Have sex

based

youtube.com/watch?v=zcUwZ90lFfM
youtube.com/watch?v=N_0siI3oyTg
youtube.com/watch?v=s_zm9DaEGwM
youtube.com/watch?v=VNx0feJAFZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=POIgEOsJ8N4

Attached: c7e343855b900bbcfa09384e1e43ed5e.jpg (613x689, 42K)

Jesus christ, number 6 looks like a minecraft mod

Blue filters are my guilty pleasures

Attached: UT2004_2019_03_25_03_54_19_665.jpg (1920x1080, 985K)

YANG 2020
YANG GANG

Attached: 7a74ff9ef67561857bfe2172e6b8d5d9.jpg (640x645, 42K)

That's part of the charm, HW1 was broken as well.

Does 343 not know basic proportions wtf??

>Also some of the OST changes are a little odd
further to this, Jeopardy sucks compared to Peril. I just hate how muted the pizzicato strings are in the anniversary version.

how can you make a soulless game even more soulless?

You work with the army in Reach not the Navy.

Right is too cartoony

By turning it ginger

Oh man you can't make this feel of clean low poly graphics. You just can't.

>Halo CE
>Not maximum soul
youtube.com/watch?v=bat1QaCtDhY

>back when a single game was good enough to keep me occupied and had me justified with paying $50 a year for xbox live
take me back. multiplayer games just aren't as fun anymore

Attached: 1537345746552.jpg (300x397, 21K)

The toggling is a meme, I swear the classic graphics on cea or worse than on ce

Also want to mention how disappointed i was when I heard cea wasn’t based on the Reach engine

The graphics ARE worse because it's based on the PC version which was missing some effects

Splitscreen is pretty based.

>480p vs 1080p
>worse

You're right, CEA is such a shit remake, which is why I play the original Xbox version of Halo on my 360. It's a vastly superior experience.

>muh muh muh competitive game
congrats, you're the type of retard that put halo in it's diseased state

The Reach one was't half bad.

not just halo, the competative gayman crowd has actively ruined most major game franchises.

They trampled over the original art direction. One thing that really baffles me is their choice for the Marines. Why did they go with the Halo Reach New Alexandria marine. Minimal armor, wayyy different from the original style. Compared to the Marines in the Tip of the Spear mission. They almost look like they were designed to resemble the CE Marines.

Narrows fucking sucks ass. I agree with the rest though, although Sandtrap is boring sometimes.
You should have put Lockout in there.

Wanting to play a normal social slayer game with the intention to win isn't the same as being a sweaty competitive player user.

Boom, Reach Marines.

Attached: Unscmarines_jumped.jpg (830x467, 110K)

>Marines in the Tip of the Spear mission
This guy? I'm pretty sure he's still Army and would still look closer to the Halo 3 marines anyway.

Attached: Army_Marine.jpg (1291x1001, 224K)

those are both army
see

I think they did a good job with the reused and recolored Reach assets they had. Reach's actual canonical marines look nothing like they do in CE btw.

Attached: marines comparison.png (779x349, 503K)

Oh you are correct actually. But still tho, the overall style seemed match better overall

>CE had the marines protected by metal plates because traditional armor was fucking worthless as protection against plasma weaponry
>Bungie scraps the design for no damn reason and we've never seen it since
>Every single marine is wearing useless armor against the Covenant

Attached: keklhar.jpg (350x350, 22K)

Pretty sure they had that armour on before they knew the convent existed.

this is pretty tight though
youtube.com/watch?v=rI3dEz03Tuo

I think they were more bent on making a colonial marine style. Compare a colonial marine to a ce marine. It's uncanny they were goin for that. I don't think they put a crazy amount of thought in the fact that metal plating is better against plasma. Hell there are plenty of missions in ce where the Marines are just in Kevlar

I don't know where you're getting this from but it's always been stated that any armor (metal or not) has always been useless against plasma. Those chunks of armor plates in CE didn't have a lore-related design.

They both use ceramic composite plates. Reach just displays them with better fidelity. 4 is the worst offender, scrapping the sci-fi future gear for fucking MOLLE plate carriers.

Attached: H4_Render_Marine.jpg (1364x1078, 216K)

Attached: 1553218061989.jpg (1920x1080, 260K)

Attached: 1516988845442.png (800x600, 314K)

>I don't know where you're getting this from but it's always been stated that any armor (metal or not) has always been useless against plasma.
So why do Spartans even bother lugging around a ton of armor plating? Why not just slap some servos on their limbs via the basic bodysuit if the shield is doing all the work?

youtube.com/watch?v=BSqm5Id6Hw0 original is better though

H4 marines are a crime against humanity.

Attached: All.marines.jpg (1600x1200, 180K)

>they still have that disgusting dude hexagon pattern on the visor
Why did this shit start?

Attached: Marines_in_Halo.jpg (800x600, 163K)

Attached: Installation_01.jpg (590x332, 55K)

i appreciate all of the detail on the right, but something about the original speaks to me more, like being able to see stars in the sky on Silent Cartographer

retard

Attached: abimael-salazar-2.jpg (1080x1920, 214K)

So if you dislike the top, does that mean you also dislike modding graphics in games period? I feel like its almost always a benefit to have better hardware to do the graphics justice.

I guess in some cases its more clear cut in other games. Wind Waker HD for example looks terrible.

Attached: Hpo1PxH.jpg (1920x3503, 675K)

If this is from that fan game I think I know the dude who did this and he's a complete ass

H2

Are you guys ready for fan kino?

Attached: MarkIV installation 01.jpg (3804x2140, 737K)

Because it still protects them from general explosions, shrapnel and general blunt damage.

Why did CE Marines have a scouter?

Attached: 1538766419106.gif (1920x1049, 709K)

Posting more kino

Attached: installation 01.jpg (3840x2160, 573K)

Upscaling the textures and getting the game to run at a higher resolution is different from redesigning all the models and level geometry in a different style.

HW2 marines are a great improvement from that shit.

Attached: gerard-muntes-hw2-marine.jpg (1920x1080, 238K)

Because it looks rad. I think the eyewear is the explanation for why 90% of their small arms don't have scopes.

Attached: H308.jpg (800x600, 100K)

So they could have a HUD

This is the perfect example why CE's design doesn't translate well with modern graphics. That armor looks like a made at home cosplay.

Not when they are Battlefield 3 tier.

You can see it visually on the CE marines, their bodysuits are covered with slabs of metal. If a plate catches a plasma bolt they can just pop it off and put on a new one, to prevent pic related.

Attached: 1495769554965.png (1845x174, 68K)

I think it looks fine. It's really not that different from

Reach is so fucking washed out.

Someone post that comparison pic in Halo 2 Anniversary at the start of the New Mombassa level.

THAT is the definition of soul vs soulless. They literally replaced the original skybox of Halo 2 with a bright and sunny day, couldn't even tell there was a war going on in the background

its a more gritty take on Halo.

I hate the Halo 2 marines. They just look like generic army guys. CE marines looked the coolest and Halo 3's were alright too.

I don't have that particular pic but i have this instead.

Attached: 1482626315671.jpg (900x707, 93K)

Attached: comparison.jpg (1920x2176, 902K)

Attached: 1505618523244.jpg (2400x1841, 554K)

When will the meme of "looks better means soulless" finally end? It's been years of this ridiculous bullshit now.

So now that Halo is coming to PC, does this mean Microsoft will put the PC versions of Halo 1 & 2 on Steam/GoG?

Attached: 1538120991545.png (259x244, 57K)

Attached: 1510649932043.jpg (1600x1200, 500K)

The worst part about Halo 1 and 2 Anniversary is the new weapon sounds
The sniper in 2 is just sad

Attached: 53142213.png (1267x959, 1.38M)

>It has soul because i played it when i was a kid
moron

>you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

>le it's a good map because you can have retarded fun with friends XD
You unironically mock that argument as if it were wrong in any shape or form. Holy shit, your pathetic.

The chest plate is the only thing they butchered that really pisses me off

I hate how they butchered the soundtrack, the new shit sounds like generic loud Hollywood type shit

I like it

SOUL

Fixed af
I like it

Attached: 1553656435214.gif (339x266, 1.85M)

People can shit on low tier god all they want but he has funny insults

God the Halo Trilogy had so much soul.

youtube.com/watch?v=meLg7jSHT20
youtube.com/watch?v=jdcP1Rhk0Fw

You’re forgetting to worst aspect of the game, they took away the grunts blood splatter

youtube.com/watch?v=ZfhkPcCGbLE
youtube.com/watch?v=C4wfoXLeOv4

>I wike espowts, ovawatch is my favowite game, can u pass the swoylent pwease?

WHAT
WHY

>You are visually illiterate if you prefer Halo CEA graphicvs over the original game.
But what if I had like, my own fuckin' opinion, man?

WHY ARE THE CLIFFS SO MUCH WORSE

AotCR got raped in the CE:A treatment. Of all the things that might look worse in the style change, I don't know how you could claim it doesn't fall under the same classification when 80% of the level was Forerunner architecture, which they shat on with generic, hyper advanced, flashy garbage that destroyed the original's design intent.

CE:A fucking sucked because they didn't know what they were doing and their only priority was to fill out every nook and cranny with random detail thinking it would automatically just make it better.
Even as it was a product of tech limitations, they didn't have to simplify anything from after pre-production most likely. They found what did work, refined it, and then locked their methods down for what defined the different styles and what the desired traits were in each class, totally independent of the tech they were working with.

The point is,
more != better
Fucking SHIT blue GLOBAL fog and color grading does not automatically make people associate something with Halo. It just made everything look like shit.

They weren't able to do a better job than Bungie even with more flexibility in the higherr specs, even most of the new sounds and foley in CE:A were weak as shit. The work new soundtrack they had Skywalker ranch produce was mostly shit and their choir was off-key, like they were tone deaf.
>Meh, it's just a video game, not a Hollywood blockbuster; good enough

CE:A was objectively worse on multiple fronts and H2:A has issues of its own where it's clear people have more money than sense or proper judgement

The kids who played Counterstrike and TF2 were so, so much worse though, and more numerous.

i was talking about that particular screenshot where there is almost no forerunner stuff in it.

What's the point of remakes if they aren't going to add more content to it. It's going to be the same number of enemies, same scripted events.

BUT, with any luck, people will be able to go back and fix most of the mess via modding, once the PC ports are finished and released.

Hopefully it won't take extensive reverse engineering.

why even be mad, you can switch with a button press

Money

WHY IS CAPTCHA SO BAD NOW IT'S EVEN WORSE THAN IT WAS A YEAR AGO WHAT THE FUCK HIROMOOT YOU MADE THEM EVEN LONGER

Look at them Yea Forums, look at those nine pieces of perfection.

Attached: 1553200165251.jpg (550x606, 46K)

For people that still play the original to this very day, there is no real point outside the novelty factor. More people get into vidya every year, so remasters are nice for normalfags who can't into old graphics. In the case of shit like Crash and Spyro, where the franchise has been dormant for years, it helps gauge interest for actual new games.

>canon
not this fucking autism again

why can't people just accept that these are fictitious creations with different art styles? does it really trigger anyone on either side that the Reach aesthetic doesn't line up with the CE one? does there really need to be some in-universe explanation?

Art Books:
>Art of Halo 3
imgur.com/a/OOF1r

>Art of Halo 5
imgur.com/a/6FqzO

>Art of Halo (Original)
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ZUJSdjgxUXctZ2s

>Art of Halo (CE to Wars/Reach)
imgur.com/a/Pb9Vq

>Art Compilation from CE to 4
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ckt0ZDdWaG1WSkk

Lore:
>Warfleet
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42Sk9iamNQaW81V3c

>Halo Books
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42aUIwbUZxWHJ0V1E

Attached: .png (2048x2048, 1.33M)

>Adds option to toggle between remastered and original visuals with a press of a button
>IT'S SOULESS WAAAAAH
Holy shit. It doesn't matter how hard you try you're never going to appease these faggots

How? How does the original from 2000 look so much better?
How can a big boy company fuck up so hard? I really can't fathom it.

I couldn't agree more, and I'm very glad there's someone else out there who realises *why* CEA is so bad. CE has very atmospheric graphics, with great reflections of glowing plasma pistols, atmospheric blur, etc. And yes you can tell they spent so much care and attention with it. Whereas CEA's graphics look so fucking half-arsed. It's such a fucking abomination, an absolute turd of a remaster.

Halo 2 Anniversary I think is FAR, FAR better though. Firstly the updated graphics look much, much better. But also, they didn't redesign the HUD with some shitty half-arsed redesign like they did in CEA. It's the same HUD, just in higher resolution. Plus, H2A has the original gun sounds when you're playing in original graphics mode, which CEA lacks. I've not actually played H2A myself but from what I've seen it's vastly superior to CEA. I only wish 343 would add original gun sounds to CEA when you're playing on original graphics. Isn't it monumentally absurd that you cannot play the original Halo game in what is supposed to be the "definitive" Halo collection? It's just a fucking joke. Halo 4 I really liked, Halo 5 I also think is really good despite what people say. My biggest gripe with 343 is the absolute steaming pile of fucking dogturd that is CEA. To not even do the original Halo justice is a fucking joke.

The remake looks miles better

Hyperbole aside, I still think Jason had the right idea or said things best at the very end of CE's dev commentary that they produced, and keep in mind this was back on Halo 3's release sometime in 07.

They remarked in watching CE again as "inspiring" and "fucking beautiful" to see in how simple it was, yet they were able to convey so much with so little; given the simplest brush strokes, there's no visual clutter or noise yet everything is crisp and just pops visually, then talking about how the characters stood out against the environments.
He put it as a beautiful simplicity that just doesn't exist nowadays, and I'd have to agree.

Regardless of the why, that simplicity became a defining trait for part of Halo's aesthetic, and going to do the total opposite in all the wrong ways for the remasters, just turned them into a wasted opportunity, because they weren't faithful reproductions, and that wasn't a concern. The new content doesn't actually look bad by any means, but they seriously fucked ot all up in that it ended up being more about revisionism in getting the Bungie games in line with where 343i and Microsoft were going to be taking the series.

They don't even use the right model in CEA though. If you look the Reach marines in that pic have the lower leg pads like Marines do in CE. Yet for some reason CEA Marines are army troopers with no leg armor and backpacks for some reason,

I wish we had gotten an actual remake with gameplay being more like 2 and 3.

That's what I was expecting when it was announced, I was excited to think it might have dual wielding and vehicle boarding and shit.

>does there really need to be some in-universe explanation?
in-universe explanations are FUN

So hopefully the new PC ports will be the opportunity for people to collectively go back over the composition and the fix the bulk of the problem, to show them where they've been wrong, and why.

That'll be contingent on how difficult it'll be to rip, swap, or get new assets into the games, and any reverse engineering that entails with understanding file formats and engine limitations, and writing the necessary scripts and plugins to work with content.

GIVE ME REACH ALREADY.

give me a reach around

Also in Reach the army guys are tan while the marines are brown like they are in CE. It always bugged me that CEA used the tan army model.

Attached: e212013e154d381eb5d527fe1e293165.jpg (1920x1080, 317K)

limitation creatively turned into an immersive feature, subhuman

WHERE BETA REEEEEEEEEEEE

When will manlets learn?

CEA was most;ly fine outside of Truth & Reconcillation, Assault on the Control room/Two betrayls, and 343 guilty spark.

This was fine because if you turned around at that spot, you'd see the sun was rising: It SHOULD be bathing the valley in warm light in that scene, the original just couldn't handle it.

>Even as it was a product of tech limitations, they didn't have to simplify anything from after pre-production most likely.
That's literally wrong, a great dealof CEA's concept art for interior spaces outright resembles CEA more then the original game, their concept art for the interrior UNSC and forerunner spaces were way more detail dense then in the original game.

I think people seriously underestimate the degree to which CE was limited by tech visually. Even for 2001 it looked pretty dated, it's very, very much just low polygons with simple textures slapped onto it. Unlike with Halo 2, Simply updating the models and textures 1:1 as suggests wouldn't have worked for CE.

There's definitely spots that look bad due to Reach assets not being a good fit or the tone not matching: the missions I say above, the animations often look jank due to reach models not matching the original skeletons, but shitting on it just for not matching the originals visual design when CE almost doesn't even really have visual design dueto how limited it is is unfair. Even to 'spoint, I'd argue the issue is less the new model being too firrednt, but rather them trying too hard to match the original. They should have gone with Bungie's concept art for MC from Halo Reach

Delusion, the redone sound effects sound universally better

This is the sort of horseshit I mean: The muisic for the scene was majestic as shit, it was NEVER intended to spooky, it was always meant to be gorgous and pretty, that was just shitty lighting

Says who? Based on?

lol wait, they aren't even using the assets of the original game? So does this mean the models for the marines are going to include women this time? Because I'm pretty sure in the original Halo CE the marines were just dudes.

CEA's redone sound effects all sound way better, to be fair.

H2A's elites's heads look really stupid without the helmets on, actually, see artstation.com/artwork/WKX3D . Reach elites have it even worse, they look even worse without armor for their head and their torsos are bulky as fuck while having mismatched skinny as fuck legs

343i elites get a lot of shit, but outside of their armor they look pretty good: their armor and animations just make them loom bulkier and more lumbering then threy really are, their heads are pretty proportionally faithful to 2 and 3 elites, while also having the more monsterous/alien look that reach tried to do but better executed, and their body proportions are a still lithe and sleak, but slightly more muscular set of CE elite proportions

343 elites + reach elite armor is the GOAT design, pic related

Says bungie, it was mentioned during their marketing for the game and you can see it on their gear in game, IIRC.

Attached: 343 elite reach armor COMPRESSED.gif (600x429, 2.93M)

I don't understand your question. CEA came out nearly 8 years ago. There were no female marines in the remastered graphics because as you said all the marines were male in original.

Halo 2 had some great lighting on the original Xbox.

I swear to god Halo is the video game equivalent to Star Wars to a T. These are the same arguments as the OT vs the Special Editions. Also both having sequel trilogies that are garbage by people who don't care about the franchise or the fans or the legacy. It's astounding when you think about it.

Attached: 1551729285663.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

I love those ammo bags and missile boxes

you could instantly change the graphics back to the old one in the press of a button though so why do you even care?

I don't know why you think the Reach elites have weird heads? They look pretty much like the helmetless arbiter we see in 2 to me. Don't get what you're saying about their legs being too skinny either.

Reach had a lot of problems but I always thought the art direction for the covenant was pretty much perfect aside from them not being shiny enough. Brutes are a possible exception as they looked radically different, but then again that was the case between 2 and 3 as well.

>the random forerunner hole in the wall is in campaign
I thought it was multiplayer only, never noticed it.

Forgot my pic

Attached: 8e7942ffd3f763b4e5cbebefd073fd37.jpg (750x1000, 95K)

>They should have gone with Bungie's concept art for MC from Halo Reach

forgot my file

that's 2, not CE

Attached: Gallery_6889_853_280617.jpg (668x924, 235K)

not at all

4 is on the left, 3 is in the middle (3's elites are almost identical to 2's in terms of heads/faces), reach is on the right.

reach's elites have the single most divergent designs of any elites in the mainline series.

Attached: elite heads (4).png (923x438, 235K)

>H2A's elites's heads look really stupid without the helmets on, actually, see
But those look fucking awesome

this desu

The Halo 4 mandible designs are still very off. Reach's still follows the basic silhouettes.

Attached: Kenneth scott 3.png (582x789, 396K)

4's looks way more fucked up than Reach's, same with 2A. I don't get what anyone sees in them. And 3's were definitely not identical to 2's.

Attached: Well+get+a+better+look+when+halo+2+anniversary+comes+_318b0136661cc3339fae9f03f0a2db39.jpg (600x480, 27K)

how FUCKING difficult is it to do a remaster like that with the original lighting? What the fuck?

nice retard cope, CEA was garbage all the way through you just have terrible taste

This image has so much fucking soul

Jesus christ, get some help

TF2 was an actually good game though.

What he's saying is that 343i ripped the wrong models for Halo Anniversary

>343 elites + reach elite armor is the GOAT design, pic related
>Let's get a shit design and mask the awful features under mediocre armor.
Quit being a moron in these threads.

Attached: .png (2346x1746, 3.29M)

>we're gonna get this soulless remake before H3 PC

Attached: 1552881497082.jpg (878x592, 235K)

Halo 2/3 elites look like goofy dinosaurs, Reah elites look like shark creatures, and 4 elites look like... I don't fuckin know, crabs or some shit? Ugly as hell.

I like the Reach elites best. Shark vibes makes them look alien and vicious. First and only time they looked truly alien and intimidating since CE.

Attached: Halo_Reach_Elite.jpg (1024x573, 47K)

>All that heavy plate armor
>nothing protecting his junk
I bet having your balls burnt off with covenant plasma weapons was a common war injury

Oooh,
343fag and furfag are fighting
dis gon b gud

Attached: 1439081157196.jpg (1280x1024, 147K)

Looking at this just reminds me of how ugly everything looks in the 343 games.
>MJOLNIR is a chunky suit of armor, not a wetsuit with plastic bits slapped on and Crysis hexagons all over
>marines look like they came directly out of Aliens, not some faggots running around with Nerf gear
>Covenant are neat and distinct looking ayy lmaos, not ugly hunched monster men
>Covenant tech is curvy and pretty to look at, not ugly and scrunched like a bug carapace

The fucking games you asshat.

We'll get original CE as well though with multiiplayer that doesn't have dinosaur Gearbox netcode. Worth.

yeah but halo is about a cock ring floating in space, while silent hill 2 is about a man going to purgatory.

Halo doesn't have fog to mask the level though, plenty of the open levels you can see really far. 343 had the fog added for atmosphere because it is the spooky level that introduced the surprise space zombies.

If the original is so great there is nothing stopping you from playing it. Now you can do both.

Man, this tireless pursuit for cringy gamer outrage must be so tiring.

H2a and reach had the best soldier design for unsc. Halo wars is followed by closely.

How bout this?

Attached: 1415324864823_halo combat evolved anniversary edition (1).jpg (1280x720, 269K)

If you wanna talk about lighting someone should've brought up Two Betrayals

it was good other than changing some geography but still letting you clip through it

Tbf that was a weird mishmash of stuff too.
Still looks closer to something out of Halo 3

Developers today are on par with interns because they're hired by stockholders instead of people who know what they're doing.

Even if you throw a hundred monkeys into a room the Shakespeare they write is still going to be banana-y and janky just like remakes today; they're being done by people who are unskilled, inexperienced, and have no passion for their work. On top of that they're also working on someone else's image. They have no emotional ties to its creation.

It's exactly the same kind of thing when someone tries to make something better by throwing money at it instead of skilled laborers who enjoy their work with a passion and would do it even for free if they could.

Attached: 1518578103397.png (553x278, 88K)

Based

You literally have the option to switch between old and new graphics whenever you want. It caters to boomer, zoomers and every moron in between. I was halfway through typing this and calling you a stupid cunt when I realised it's bait, so who's the real cunt?

>Game looks 1000000x better and can be toggled on and off: gam is bad :'(
>but onions fun dated graphics with no improvements except all games in a package resold for 45 pounds is amazing, I love ports of old games with no improvement :) ..

I wonder who could be behind this post?

Attached: 1543593188294.gif (214x199, 590K)

based wordfilter dabbing on Yea Forums

>shilling for a steaming pile of dogshit of a remaster which criminally disrespects one of the best video games of all time
I wonder who could be behind this post

Attached: brainlet.jpg (558x614, 18K)

That's 2 on the Xbox, PC version was fucked.

4's looks like it's already been infected by the Flood

Largely unrelated but I made another thread that got ignored.

Which campaign is best for co-op in the series?

Attached: chiefpopcorn.png (350x408, 116K)

Halo 2 legendary

3, definitely.