What went so fucking right?

What went so fucking right?

Attached: IMG_6104.jpg (800x1128, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c0Lm7BaNcLo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

funnish combat and decent locations / cities.

Protag should've been a Bangaa.

Attached: 1498100354453.png (660x660, 369K)

It reminded me of FF8, in the way that you can abuse the combat mechanics to stroll through the game. Both Junction and Gambits were fun as hell playing around with them.

Great game though, severely underrated but I guess it was because it was at the very end of the PS2's lifetime.

I dropped the game because political stories are boring as hell.

>game set in world full of multiple races
>your entire party consist of humans and one with bunny ears
>all guest party members are also humans
Talk about wasted potential

The other races are stupid looking though. Viera included.

A mog would have been kool

Ivalice is the best FF setting.

the parts that went right were the setting, the music, the general atmosphere and Fran's ass. Everything else went wrong though. Which is annoying because the things that went right make me want to play the game only to remember that it's not worth it.

Last gasp for air of a drowning franchise. It has now been at the bottom of the sea, long dead with only bones remaining, for a decade.

Then it would have been final fantasy tactics advance 2.0

Fran's butt, Ashe's micro pants.

>what went wrong
Ashe isn't wearing a skirt, its pants.

Nothing, it's a fucking single player MMO without the fun from a MMO.

it already kind of is considering it seems to take more influence from tactics advance, than tactics. Which is weird because FFT is so much a superior game over FFTA that its crazy

Yeah, real shame that square decided not to focus more on the original tactics..

>What went so fucking right?
Nothing, ruined the mystique Vagrant Story and Tactics have established for the universe.

this is right but the other good thing is the sprites of the characters faces are cute

The non-linearity of the game makes it fun and exciting to explore
>encountering Addramelech, King Bomb, the nabudis Bakamy swarms, entites or that abysteel in the feywoods while underleveled and getting a game over

Hunts and rare game were pretty well done. Bazaar was also entertaining although I dont agree with the % based equipment from pots. Hunting optional espers was fun although the espers themselves are useless(more useful at unlocking locked licenses than in actual combat) I'm not sure why but I always burn out at the lighthouse, maybe its because I know the game's about to end

youtube.com/watch?v=c0Lm7BaNcLo

Nailed it. Every FFT fag, including me, bought FF12 thinking it was our Ivalice, but it was FFTA fags' Ivalice.
And they used 12 as a bridge to FFT, where FFTA is the past and FFT is the future.
So all the good FFT stuff was left out. They even bastardized the FFT villains when they turned them into FF12's summons.
It just didn't go so well, at all when expectations clashed.

FFT being my favorite
this one takes the 2nd place slot.
not too far behind though.
Anything after it has been shit.
I hope they never even attempt to try to bring Ivalice back they would just ruin the whole thing with whatever cancerous employees they have now.
please just go away square

vagrant story had almost nothing to do with ivalice. Matsuno didn't even originally intend to link it, until he just said fuck it, its in ivalice. If you take that out then what exactly is relevant about vagrant story as it relates to ivalice? There could have been something cool with FF12 and the dead lands, and there is even an entite named after lea monde, but its still a completely different area that only makes passing reference really.

>funnish combat
I wish someone explained me this one, because everyone who thinks like this seems to have played a different game than me. Seriously, most jobs get like one skill or two and 99% of the time it's not worth using over just spamming basic attack, summons are worthless, and the game has like a million status effects and status effect counters and skills which just makes dealing with the whole thing a pain in the ass. And the job board is filled with useless stuff that should've been unlocked from the start like extra gambit slots and the ability to use higher level gear (which you're still gated from by plot progression anyway).

It produces a feeling of comfy grind when you hold the analog stick down and mow people away. The combat itself is garbage.

>most jobs get like one skill or two and 99% of the time it's not worth using over just spamming basic attack

You do realize this describes every FF game ever, right? It's saving from clicking X on the Attack command and that's it.

sup bitch

Attached: Final-Fantasy-X-Tidus.png (1280x720, 831K)

all you have to do to counter status effects is select any and have your remedy / esuna user do it, and maybe one character set up to counteract that character getting shit on, you don't need to fill the entire gambit page with status counters.

The game sorta strikes at the catharsis of grinding from MMOs without having to playing a garbage MMO meant to skinnerbox your ass.

You mean the game where the best stat is just having everybody spam quick attack, even against the hardest enemies in the game (nemesis, dark aeons, penance)?
Are you fucking braindead?

Basically this Reduces the basic actions of what you do in most other FFs, turn based ones especially, into automated tasks. Let's you run around and get distracted by giant LP point drops and rare loot.

I guess it's not actually that fun in reality, but I don't know if it's any worse than wait for ATB bar to fill up and select attack for random shit mobs.

you get quick attack around the very end of the game and even if you're an overlevelled grinder you should be keeping haste and armor break up, stealing, etc

>but I don't know if it's any worse than wait for ATB bar to fill up and select attack for random shit mobs.
It is. Those games make you think, and don't pretend otherwise or you're a delusional faggot shitposting in favor of casualized as FUCK combat.

no you get delay buster near the end of the game, not quick attack, you get that shit early as fucking hell, its just only on tidus for a long time. The battle system in FFX is vastly overrated, its really just standard turn based except you can see the turn order, its really nothing special but the game was one of the babby's first FF games along with FF6 and 7 I suppose.

hunts can benefit from skills you hardly ever need in a normal playthrough ( wither, addle looking at you ) though you can still smash your way through most.

You tell me, considering the number of things that went wrong.

which sphere grid you used because on the american noob grid my tidus got it after the last seymour

Whichever one is the original, its possible in the HD version they made it a late game tool to counteract how game breaking it was, not that X is hard without it. The problem is that it exists at all, as it essentially destroys any impact the super bosses have, which you would have it for regardless.

i played ps2 american version and skipped most optional content and had fun, if you're doing superbosses maybe the game starts being bad but that's not the important part to me

>Those games make you think
>spam attack until meter filled
>use limit break
Some real thinking going on there, bro

>also have to heal, use magic, summons, etc
FF12 on the other hand literally plays itself just by auto attacking and healing below 50%

this argument is pointless as FF isn't the jrpg you play for a challenge or interactivity. It's fun enough to just grind and get that primal "numbers go up" vidya instinct satiated.

The thinking mans jrpg is SMT and dragon quest

Attached: 1546747113139.jpg (1242x1394, 175K)

>also have to heal, use magic, summons, etc
You can also do all of those in XII if you think pressing buttons in menus constitutes compelling gameplay (or are too stupid to use gambits).

To be honest looking back on it, I think such a drastic change in combat system was very welcome at that time even if I liked it regardless of people's shitty opinions. Especially since it contrasts so much with FFX which came before it. I'd love to see another Final Fantasy game with that mmo type combat but I'd also like to see another turn based one like FFX. Anything is better than just turning these games into straight up action RPG. I don't think this series should ever adopt that crap.

What is great about this series is how it changes and at least at one point never had sequels between the games.

Vann is my boy and I would do anything to have his good ending with Penelo.

There's literally no purpose to FF12's summons, they do nothing. Auto attacking is the best dps.

>There's literally no purpose to FF12's summons, they do nothing.
They do damage and have other abilities, same as the other games.

>Auto attacking is the best dps.
This is true for most other games as well.

FF12 is the only game where you can auto attack you dumbass and summons are unnecessary in 12, just a waste of time.

physical damage or w/e you would equate to an "auto attack" in older FF games always won the DPS race because it had short animation time despite still doing capped damage in most cases. Magic was always only relevant at lower levels and summons are pretty much always just a waste of time unless you are playing something like FFT where they have added utility of hitting a gigantic part of the map.

I loved this game in my youth and I replayed it recently.

On the bright side, it's a super nice game to play. Very addictive and super comfy due to well made menus, a really chill OST and lots of side content to do that just feels good to make for the sake of growing your characters and obtaining loot made extra nicer being able to speed up the game to deal faster with weak enemies.
Also traversing large areas with ton of side little areas and optional paths that might lead you to more powerful enemies feels nice to explore which is a freedom you don't have in a lot of FFs.

On the downside the game has systems that are very obtuse for no reason, I can only imagine that the original reason for the game to hide information from you was just to sell more guides, or as an attempt to form a community, idk, playing it back it feels really obnoxious that the game doesn't really tell you how much attack a barehanded character has while having the hand to hand combat perk enabled. It will tell you that its attack is really low but in reality is better than most weapons. The game wont also tell you important stuff like that Katanas scale with str and magic but Ninja swords scale with str and speed, why? hell if I know.
The story starts up well enough but it kinda feels loose towards the middle end of the game, and doesn't really have any high points.
The last dungeons are dogshit, the crystal makes you walk in circles just to get Hastega and the Lighthouse is a fucking chore that will harshly punish you for failing a puzzle. Bad stuff.

Overall it's a game I love and I see how in my wee lad years I completed it all the side content several times but I can't see myself doing that in this day and age.

Attached: Dwjn8pGXcAAKQi0.png (378x375, 224K)

making the basic attack useful is a good thing, and making it the best single-target damage for most enemies is a perfectly good way of making it useful, but the whole combat system needs to be interesting enough that you're not going for the best single-target damage every turn with every character

Don't think you were replying to me, bro

>FF12 is the only game where you can auto attack you dumbass
Choosing 'attack' from a menu does the same thing, user
>summons are unnecessary in 12, just a waste of time
They are a waste of time in pretty much every FF game if you're actually trying to maximize DPS

The game ended too soon

You only get to see barely half of ivalice and it's over. Arcadia is supposed to be huge but it's only really just one location and a dungeon

>FF12 is the only game where you can auto attack you dumbass
I read this like five times and stared at it for a while until I realized.
>you dumbass
STOP RIGHT THERE.

>Auto-Attack
Is the name of the default action in FF15. You hold the circle button and Noctis, or whatever DLC character you're controlling performs a set of repetitive attacks. This is one of the worst battle systems in the FF series.

In FF13 and FF13-2 its called Auto-Battle but it does exactly what you're describing.
The default command. You select it and the game's AI will determine a set of actions for your character to take. This AI is really dumb and its set of actions is almost always inferior to what you can perform with manual selection, but can't set to permanently do it every time unlike in FF12 through Gambits.

FF12's Gambits did it the best.

>auto is the same as manual
You are fucking morons.

I really love Ivalice as a setting and the game has plenty of interesting ideas. It just lacks that extra "oomph". It feels unfinished. I think it's because Matsuno left the project halfway through due to "illness" (probably got sick of Square-Enix's executive meddling).

Fran's ass smells though.

Yes, user, choosing "attack" from a menu over and over again makes such a fucking difference

Most of it. The second half of the story was pretty poo though

What's with the denial the actions are definitely called Auto-Battle. Look at this gameplay image.
Does denying it remove its existence from reality? No.

It figuratively says >play itself
for you.

At least in FF12 you don't have to use Gambits and can play it just like FFX-2 if you want. With FF13 and FF15 you literally have to play the way they tell you.

Attached: actual first result in search.jpg (1280x720, 194K)

>FF13
>a FF
yikes

Not our problem as players because games don't smell. Yet.

I did

Attached: Venat.jpg (1920x884, 303K)

whoa. i fucked up. I thought FFT was a precursor. Guess i didn't pay enough attention. Gotta replay 12 now.

Tactics has a much better story than Tactics Advance/A2, but it is not a better game.

Tactics A2 is unironically the best.

Attached: final_fantasy_tactics_a2_conceptart_KeUUE.jpg (800x560, 174K)

To be fair the actual thing that matters in FFXIII is paradigm shift.

if fucked
ensuna

Is it okay to skip Advanced and go straight to A2?

I still remember how much hate this game used to get and I used to be one of few people who defend it. I wish people would stop being egotistical entitled brats filled with hate and simply enjoy things.

Great setting, decent cast, job system (If you have the superior version), tons of content that doesn't feel railroaded, and great soundtrack

The biggest problem I have with this game is probably Vaan, it's liek the writers could never decide if he wanted to be a "blank protagonist" with no personality for the player to project onto or if he was an actual character, and flipflopping back and forth was janky as fuck
Honestly wish the cast was more static so I could grow to love them as MY party, instead a bunch of them just wound up being characters that were interesting and I also play them sometimes but not really after I'm forced to.

The game without the zodiac edition was pretty mediocre. Job systems fix everything, even though it's not quite as good as FFV's.

Art direction, soundtrack, and the general world aesthetic

how do people like this game? the gambit system makes the game literally play itself, you unironically have more input in ff13 combat than this game

Worth it for sure if you treat it as its own thing.

Desu. Also, I find it kind of funny after searching about this that in FF13-2 they changed the name to Auto-Chain. It divorces the negative connotation of the game playing itself. By Lightning Returns they completely removed this system. Tri-Ace knew.

still unsure how to feel about ZA desu
>lets you have all jobs, trivializing difficulty even further

I'd prefer an easier game if it makes me feel like I actually did something
The lack of having to think about how you build your party and characters just feels like hollow victories half the time

It's true it makes it easier but it's also very fun being able to mix 2 jobs to make new broken builds

min/maxing is sort of the reward for the newer version. Keep in mind that FF12 is a trivial fucking game even in the original when you didn't have all the HP nodes to make you invincible, so it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

I wish they let people choose the original board too, in NG+ or something.