How bad was it really, Yea Forums? We know reviewers and memers go overboard when it comes to shitting on Sonic games...

How bad was it really, Yea Forums? We know reviewers and memers go overboard when it comes to shitting on Sonic games. Was it better or worse than 06 or 3D Blast?

Attached: Sonic_boom_rise_of_lyric_cover.png (400x338, 328K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7uKIwgdynkA
youtube.com/watch?v=hDCzoqhjP7M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>3D Blast bad

>Technical marvel for the Genesis
>Best classic sonic OST
>Saturn port is amazing

Fuck off Arin Hanson

It's worse than 06 for being broken as 06, but more boring than 06.
Fucking stop placing 3D Blast on that podium, it's nowhere as bad as all 3D Sonic games from Heroes to 06 and Lost World and Forces of the boost era.

From what little I've played of it, I dont think it was that bad, but the game is just slow and not that interesting.

Everything works okay enough, but its just not worth playing

None of those are true or make the game good

Could hardly be called a Sonic game and it was almost as much a technical mess as 06

>Made for PS4 XB1
>Developers get told to fuck all progress and make it for Wii U instead after so much progress
>Nice steamy turd is released instead

Played the demo and it was pretty boring, glad I didn't bother with the full game. Doubt it's 06 level bad aside from being bland.
The 3DS games were alright though.

It's tied with Forces for the worst ""Sonic"" game. If you can even call nu-sonic Sonic

Pretty much all of this. It's almost as unfinished as '06, but it's way, WAY, less entertaining. Everything about RIse of Lyric is just so generic that you could put literally any characters in the place of the Sonic cast and you'd have the exact same experience.

It certainly didn't do the franchise any favors though, since most people assume it's Sonic '06 levels of bad regardless. Just another in a long line of incredibly myopic decisions with the Sonic series that Sega has made.

Attached: 1538097839939.png (335x554, 255K)

There is the new Director's Cut hack, by a guy who actually worked on the game.

It was glitchy, bland, and forgettable.

It could barely even be called a sonic game.

youtube.com/watch?v=7uKIwgdynkA

I know, Game Grumps, but it's not from the playing. This video sums up a lot.

>Forces on the same level as Boom
I hate people like you who swear by this when it can't be anymore wrong.

what was with the laser whips, they never used them in the show

Are you implying Boom is worse, or Forces?

>it can't be anymore wrong.
I know Forces is probably worse. Atleast Boom tried to have level design and a decent story.

>best ost
Wew lad. It had good music, but the music isn't the best classic Sonic OST.

I think Boom is far worst, Forces is the definition of an average game, it barely does anything right especially right but it does nothing horrifically wrong like Boom does.

You're not going to get ageements with that statement, but you're right.

Boom is just discount Racket and Clank. At worse it's just another game with people that understand what a video game could be, but with a shitty company like SEGA fucking them over hard. Sonic Team, hasn't made anything remotely good compared to many other companies since Sonic fucking 3. Ever since 3D Sonic happened, they could never get a grip with themselves. What you liked about the series, clearly wasn't suitable for SEGA since they never stuck with anything fro more than 3 years before reinventing the wheel. Sonic Forces is, just like many attempts, a failed example based on what should have been people knowing better than to make something so low grade, in house.

Rise of Lyric is worse than 06 in that it's just bad in a boring way, whereas 06 is comically bad and provides some entertainment as a result.

The devs behind it REALLY didnt want to make a sonic game and kind of passive aggressively half assed it.

3D blast was a failure back on release
Nobody cares about it. Saturn version only exist because Sega needed someting reated to sonic as sellpoint for saturn.

Last I checked shortly after X-treme got cancelled they panicked and just reskinned 3D Blast and made Sonic Jam in a few months.

Yup, the whole reason of is existence is sega wanting to fill the release of something sonic related for Saturn. 3D Blast is not bad, but it was pretty much ignored since was another game born into the DK country craze for render-looking games.

Sega itself is just a cursed company at this point.

I blame SoJ for constantly fucking over the better more successful American branch. That nip pride is too strong.

I honestly think Nintendo should buy their asses. Fuck the fan projects.

>>Best classic sonic OST
Sonic 3D Blast had two different soundtracks, Genesis OST was composed by Jun Senoue is OK at best, but Saturn version was composed by Richard Jacques (the guy from Jet set grind radio or Sonic R) and its fucking awesome.

Sega is doing well in the arcade area as far as I know so I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Even then I don't trust Nintendo very much they have the same problem Sega has with abandoning IPs and constant rehashing even if the games are pretty decent at the end of the day.

Nintendo is not a bad idea, but I personally believe Capcom would be a better candidate to buy the headquarters of SEGA and their IPs.

Sonic 3D on Genesis has the best soundtrack of any Sonic game. The Saturn port's soundtrack is OK but not even in the same ballpark.

>Fuck the fan projects.
And a Mighty fuck you too, pal..

Attached: 1532714599283.jpg (1366x768, 360K)

>Technical marvel for the Genesis
step aside chad Virtua Racing coming through

Attached: 7A574C46-7D26-4F6A-974C-025E7D0ADE5B.jpg (2016x1512, 876K)

>Sonic 3D on Genesis has the best soundtrack of any Sonic game
heck no, is not even better than the original 3 games. Saturn is the definitve version, since even the bonus levels are better. Let me guess, you never played saturn version, right?

Mania is not a fan project, Whitehead was bring to app version because he did a fucking great job with the retro engine.

sega is doing fine financially, they just had a bad year in 2018 because of Japan’s economy crapped itself in again in 2018. Outside of sanic their games perform well enough, especially the yakuza series and the atlus games do okay. And arc system works is under sammy which is joined with sega.

>Mania is not a fan project
But it exists because of fan products.

mania exist because sega had nothing to lost at this point.

I've completed both versions multiple times. On the original consoles, even. And the bonus levels are worse in the Saturn version as well. Shitty uninspired polygons instead of a minigame that fits with the style of the game.

If you think the Saturn version has better music you simply have no taste. The Genesis versions of Green Grove, Rusty Ruin, Diamond Dust, Gene Gadget and both acts of Panic Puppet are all better than any other Sonic song pre-Adventure. The only song that is better in the Saturn version is Final Fight.

And you do know if it wasn't for fan projects, he wouldn't have been able to make said engine right? The Retro Engine? That was publicly released, and if Nintendo owned Sonic, that would have been C&D'd immediately.

Also, he wouldn't even have been hired to make Mania anyways. Nintendo doesn't hire fans, Miyamoto actively stated this years ago.

Attached: get a load of this guy.png (1300x1721, 1M)

3D blast was bad. Amazing music on the Saturn and decent looking technology doesnt suddenly make the gameplay any fucking good. The difference between 06 bad and 3D Blast bad is that one of those games has redeemable qualities and can be a game people actually like playing on occasion, I dont think a living human enjoying actually playing 06 for the gameplay, just laughing at how fucking god awful it is.

>The Retro Engine? That was publicly released
was it? I could have sworn he kept it from being open source.

I

WANT

youtube.com/watch?v=hDCzoqhjP7M

Open source /= released. Sonic Retro is the fan game project that was the catalysis of the Retro Engine, hence the name.

>it exists because of fan products
It exists because Taxman originally wanted to being his Sonic 1 & 2 ports to consoles, and pitched a small original campaign alongside it.

The Retro engine exists because Taxman worked on it as a side project to practice programming (which ultimately culminated in his Retro Sonic demo) and decided to focus more development on it when Sega started asking around for people interested in developing a modern re-release on Sonic CD.

Sega was not interested in fangames, but into retro engine. They hired Whitehead because it was cheaper than start from the scratch for the APP/phone versions. Mania was a happy accident after that.

I dicked around with it on my Wii U a few times. It wasn't the abomination most people claim, I mean, there are plenty of mediocre games out there and it's merely one of the slightly less polished ones. Having a high profile name like Sonic is what doomed it, otherwise it would have slipped under the radar like all of the rest

3d blast is ok. Not good or bad. That soundtrack is bangin though