What makes JRPG bosses memorable?

What makes JRPG bosses memorable?

Attached: FFX_Seymour_Flux.png (431x312, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dWE0nlhpdq8
youtube.com/watch?v=vR_en0iMMDY
youtu.be/jaIo82uT0qs
youtu.be/zIjVvnO5lgM
youtube.com/watch?v=rBuWNO1mxcI
youtube.com/watch?v=FhLfLUtBZA4
youtube.com/watch?v=hfvPDO5YJmw
youtube.com/watch?v=4foetX8zbnk
youtube.com/watch?v=gOiPK1wrCuo
youtube.com/watch?v=AvyPtdx0yO8
youtube.com/watch?v=473L99I88n8
youtube.com/watch?v=RYAvDPuCD4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=CW5D8hSBNlw
youtube.com/watch?v=yYzi1DijxoE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Design, mechanics, music, the lead up to it.

>What makes JRPG bosses memorable?
For the level of bullshit

Attached: MIGUEL.jpg (640x480, 35K)

>Posts one of the most gimmicky bosses

I geso, but you can't deny that he's one of the most recognizable in the genre.

Third Seymour fight was probably the toughest story boss battle of the game. Either that or the Bevelle dragon.

yunalesca was infinitely worse

>implying this isn't better for the soundtrack alone

youtu.be/dWE0nlhpdq8

Attached: Part_12-05.jpg (640x439, 78K)

>finally get around to fighting him
>my guys are over leveled from farming monster arena
>only get to hear the based music for 10 seconds

mostly the music and the design
maybe a gimmick that made it annoying or something

Reminder that Miguel is Crono.

Not for me she wasn't. I had double casting already and caught on after the first time to leave one member with zombie for the fight. Got her on my second try.

Music
Difficulty
Design
Character

Attached: ff7.jpg (1024x819, 367K)

yeah and you don't even need good damage or healing or turn management for her, you just need to have bought a bunch of phoenix downs lol

i remember this guy from nocturne just because he was the first boss in a jrpg i ever fought that was weak to status ailments.

Attached: Troll.png (3620x2716, 1.55M)

Forneus

I’ll never forget Galdera from 8path because that stupid fucking second half wiped me before I even got a turn. Fuck off “main party/secondary party” secondary should’ve fought the first babby phase.

forneus was weak to electricity, not ailments.

I was disappointed by how easy the fights against Sin were in ffx before going into his mouth.

Challenge is a better and more intimidating theme, I always hated the one you linked. It's a dumb, forgettable fight because of how fucking easy it is. I never even figured out what his gimmick was supposed to be.

I remember Forneus for being a Dickray.

Giving enemies personality really helps making them memorable.

>that point in the game where you start super powering up all your characters
>when you first are able to kill a monster creation one
>it drops and item that makes it slightly easier to kill it agian
>do it 20 times
>find the next thing i can barely kill

For being the best in the world and having 1 wing

Attached: 2BAACFCA-A43F-4914-9D7A-62B67782110B.png (800x400, 393K)

youtube.com/watch?v=vR_en0iMMDY

No, but he is controlled by Robo.

>That feeling when you just use Trio of 9999 to cheese every last fight.

A great song that's unique to their fight.
youtu.be/jaIo82uT0qs

Wait, Octopath makes you fight the final boss with your four benched guys?
I guess it's a good thing I fell off of it when other games were coming out.

Attached: 1532382868031.gif (180x180, 81K)

Losing to them at least once to anything besides a cheap gimmick?

>cheap gimmick
No need to get mad that you were outplayed.
youtu.be/zIjVvnO5lgM

Nothing more memorable than getting blocked from progressing in the game because of a boss immediately showing up after putting in disc 2.

I'm looking at you Baten Kaitos Origins. Fuck you.

the music desu

Music and context

Yuna: "Well, Seymour, I made it. Despite your directions..."
Seymour: "Ah, Lady Yuna, welcome. I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable wedding."
Yuna: "eh..."

(Sees Yunalesca has been killed)

S: "Oh egads! My plan to become Sin is ruined! ...but what if... I were to be absorbed by Sin and learn to control it from the inside? Ohohohoho, delightfully devilish, Seymour!"
(Yuna walks in as Seymour enters his Ultima form)
S: "Ah, Lady Yuna! I was just... practicing my summoning skills! Isometric sphere grid leveling, care to join me?"
Y: "Seymour why are you inside of Sin?"
S: "Oh, um, this isn't Sin, it's Jecht! I'm becoming one with Jecht, your father's guardian!"
Y: "hmmm..." (leaves)
S: "phew..." (is absorbed by Sin)

S: "Lady Yuna, I hope you're ready for the Final Aeon!"
Y: "I thought you said you were becoming one with Jecht."
S: "Oh no, I said becoming some with Jecht! That's what I call the Final Summoning!"
Y: "...you call the Final Summoning 'becoming some?'"
S: "Yes, it's a... regional dialect."
Y: "what region?"
S: "Uh... upstate Spira"
Y: "Really? Well I'm from Besaid and I've never heard anyone say 'becoming some'"
S: "Oh, not Besaid, no. It's a Guadosalam expression."
Y: "I see.."

Y: "You know, this Aeon is awfully similar to Sin."
S: "Oho, no! Patented Final Aeon! Old Zanarkand summoning!"
Y: "And you call it the Final Aeon despite the fact that it is obviously possessed by Yu Yevon?"
S: "I... um... well... I think I should... Er... Can you excuse me one moment?"
Y: "Of course"
(Seymour enters Ultima form)
S: "*Yaaaawn, well that was a lovely summoning, a good time was had by all, I'm pooped!"
Y" "Yes, I really should be- (Sees Seymour Ultima) GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU?!"
S: "Anima"
Y: "Anima?! At this time of day? At this time of year? In this part of Spira? Localized entirely in your body?!"
S: "Yes."
Y: "May I see it?"
S: "No."

s

Have you seen my friend Forneus? I was meant to meet him here but he never showed up.

Attached: 1200px-Decarabia.png (1200x1503, 1.03M)

the final boss has 2 phases and when the first phase ends, whoever isn't in the party for the first phase fights the second phase

Remember this motherfucker?

Attached: redruuuuuum.jpg (1280x720, 59K)

It's "ye gods" you stupid redditor.
Why do newfags pretend to like The Simpsons?

soundtrack. I don't even remember the story of this game but the last boss had a sweet ass theme.
youtube.com/watch?v=rBuWNO1mxcI

Based Blazer theme poster. One of my favorite boss OSTs. And yeah, I don't remember him either.

Music, design and the build up. Flux had it all. He was intimidating from the get go. The line Seymour drops just as he transforms is great.

> I don't even remember the story of this game
Incest brothers fund terrorists so they can ____ then parallel universe that eats planets. I don't know.

Just put the thing that buffs power and is inversely proportional to the amount of health you have on Citan and once he inevitably gets killed and revived with low HP, watch him go to town on the mutant Wels.

What old school JRPG has the best bosses and why is it Xenogears?

Attached: __original_weltall_xenogears_drawn_by_moyashi_karamisouma__b6fddfb0ecdf3ddca44fccf906bcc2aa.jpg (1162x1541, 828K)

The arrange by Ryo Yonemitsu/falcom band is legitimately one of the greatest things I've ever heard
youtube.com/watch?v=FhLfLUtBZA4

Being killed by them.

youtube.com/watch?v=hfvPDO5YJmw

YES INDEED.

Attached: x.jpg (3840x2160, 369K)

Imagine getting your ass beat by a guy in short pants, suspenders, and a sun hat.

when they spam their special attack with a campy voice line
FLY, O HOLY SWORD

soul

consider the following

Attached: genocide heart.jpg (640x480, 59K)

Remember me?

Attached: no flute for you.png (449x504, 287K)

some kind of gimmick or characteristic that goes beyond the fight itself.

Off the top of my head, one of my favorite boss fights to date has been the last boss of Bravely Second, not because it was a challenging fight, but because of the cutscene where they break the fourth wall, try to delete the save file, and then hijack the camera on the 3DS

Meanwhile, my favorite JRPG of all time (golden sun) has noticeably unremarkable boss fights because despite plot significance, you just fight them and move on.

>that sad, beautiful music with all the HUD and attack sound effects playing over it
i don't know why having PS1 sound effects on top of that song makes such a big impact for me, but it goddamn gets me
youtube.com/watch?v=4foetX8zbnk

>Spend 30 minutes stealing fairy flute

I thought the first phase was scarier, I threw winhilde's at the second like 4 times and then went "wait it's already over?"

>It's a dumb, forgettable fight because of how fucking easy it is.
That's kinda the whole issue, the song is great but the fight is so easy because by this point it takes no effort to get the celestial weapons and be overleveled from Arena fighting or just visiting the extra dungeon. Takes less than 20 seconds to kill him if everyone is doing like 30K or higher a hit.

Attached: 1348204116440.jpg (640x594, 104K)

ffx is fun if you beeline it, ignore everything extra

This fight is unironically kino.

The music.

I don't even remember this and I've beaten all of the FF games.

>Music
Meh
>Difficulty
I one shotted him on my first try
>Design
Poor man's Kefka. Didn't even have 4 forms
Character
lol

JRPGs are too easy to break. I remember being stuck on Braska's Aeon for like a week when I was a kid just constantly beating my face against it, but then I learned about Trio of 9999 and beat it in like 5 minutes.

And that wasn't even with the celestial weapons or the crazy secret summons. The reward for exploring and spending time in a JRPG and doing all the content is becoming so broken that the main story is unenjoyably easy.

Was the Holoholo bird really that hard? I didn't think it was impossible when I tried it. Now the late game arena shit, that was stupid hard.

>You wanna see me do Shield All before you get a turn?
>You wanna see me do it again?
These things are hell in Devil Survivor, fuck Decarabias.

The music
youtube.com/watch?v=gOiPK1wrCuo

Attached: Luca.Blight.full.893598.jpg (1050x910, 843K)

The sound effects the boss makes.

Attached: hypnos.jpg (400x240, 24K)

BIG. ASS. ANIME. TIDDIES.

Attached: DFF2015_Cloud_of_Darkness.png (640x699, 454K)

The music and context had a bigger impact for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=AvyPtdx0yO8
youtube.com/watch?v=473L99I88n8
youtube.com/watch?v=RYAvDPuCD4Q

Oddly enough, the final boss theme in Suikoden 2 was actually really underwhelming to the rest of the OST. But I guess the final boss isn't actually the climax with the ending anyways.

>Mad Luca
that shit only plays on the very last for like a minute, though (because the duel is straightforward and easy as fuck), and it's really nothing spectacular especially compared to this

FFX was peak JRPG.
Why didn't anyone, not even SE, learn from its greatness? Why do we still have turn-based RPGs that look outdated next to it 20 fucking years later?

Attached: 1551600366494.png (409x367, 163K)

I'm probably thinking of the tree scene and duel more rather than the build-up, I'd agree with you but the Chase isn't a particular favourite of mine either.

I'd say rather than the battle themes, Suikoden 2 is so much more memorable with the rest of its tracks. I wish more games had god-tier epilogues.
youtube.com/watch?v=CW5D8hSBNlw
youtube.com/watch?v=yYzi1DijxoE

It's telling of how shitty FFX is that I can't even remember who this character is or under what context he fits in the story.

It's just telling of your shitty memory.

>Your hope ends here...

AND YOUR MEANINGLESS EXISTENCE WITH IT

you can't remember seymour's role in the story? the primary antagonist for like 75% of the game? are you sure you played it?

He is pretty memorable because of shitloads of custcenes and Anima. Better examples would be the Yu Yevon leaders. Replay the game someday.

Peak battle system right? Because as story and characters go, FFVII is the peak

Attached: ffvii clouds subconcious.jpg (1280x1024, 128K)

Attached: file.png (320x320, 145K)

not him but all I remember about Seymour is how he tries to NTR you but you stop him.

Usually its just design of the boss, longevity and especially boss music. If you can go in there and beat the boss within seconds under normal circumstances nobody will care for it.

>the primary antagonist for like 75% of the game?
I thought that was your dad. I just remember seymour being some fag with mommy issues.

This is such a shit argument that is unfortunately very common on Yea Forums

>jrpg boss
>memorable

They are about as formulaic as they come

Attached: Francis.jpg (498x497, 74K)

When it actually kills you in your first attempt

Seymour on gagazet is memorable because there was a long ass cutscene preceding an unseen zombie status effect gimmick

Gattuso from tales of vesperia is memorable despite being a generic fox because the devs forgot to lower the boss's stats from the demo

Weak bait but I saved that pepe so you're actually pretty alright

Probably 7-8 years ago, and X-2, and they both sucked. They just fucking suck. Of course I'm going to forget the story if I didn't like the game.