Windows 7 security updates are stopping

Install GNU/Linux.
linuxmint.com/
manjaro.org/
>b-but no games
Steam's Proton feature makes all your Windows games run on GNU/Linux.
>b-but drivers
The two distros I linked to have all the drivers your PC needs. Unlike Devian or others, these include them even if they're propietary.
Manjaro also comes with Steam by default.
>b-but it's difficult to install
Both of those have a GUI installer. It's even easier than Windows.

Mustard race, you have no excuses. Windows is a glorified console OS anyway, just ask any Xbro.

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

penguins are gross
that penguin is especially bad
I'm not using your retarded furry OS

>Install GNU/Linux.
Already did, about 15 years ago

Fedora 28 here

Enjoying Steams Steam Play Feature very much!

What are you guys playing currently?

Super Tux Kart

Cringe,

>linuxmint.com/
>these include them even if they're propietary.
I'd generally advise users against using Linux Mint since its not an official spin of Ubuntu, meaning Valve doesn't have developers test against it, and in general its policies towards the open source drivers (which anyone using Intel or AMD GPUs should be using) is worse than most other distros.

>Both of those have a GUI installer. It's even easier than Windows.
It really is surprising how many people don't even know Linux has GUIs, let alone installers that make Microsoft's efforts look laughably complicated.
Literally just boot off your installer, and you're in the OS and you just have to click a icon to keep the system on it from then on by copying it to the system's drive.

No matter how much you try, your OS will never be mainstream. The year of the linux will never happen

Unreal Tournament (1999)
Unreal Tournament (2014)
Serious Sam 3
Red Alert 2
Renegade X

I need to rearrange data on my PC so that I will have space on SSD to install Doom (2016)

Attached: Linus_pilot.jpg (577x577, 56K)

End of support does not mean that windows 7 will spontaneously stop working overnight, you alarmist faggot.
>but muh viruses
Get yourself a copy of Common Sense 2019, or malwarebytes if you're paranoid.
>but muh wannacry, muh SMB attacks
Why are you letting random idiots connect to your network? Why do you have network discovery turned on?

Finally! I've been waiting 4 years to post this image.

Attached: 1335359077112.jpg (650x4377, 524K)

I remember applefags telling me in 2007 that Anroid will never overtake iPhone OS
and now they have been wrong for many years

protip: don't use term "never"

Attached: media_http25mediatumb_srpwq.jpg.scaled500.jpg (355x342, 31K)

A key feature of Mint is maintaining compatibility with Ubuntu. I've been using Mint for years and have never come across an instance where something worked on Ubuntu but not on Mint. This is a deliberate design decision made by the developers.

What do you mean about its policies towards the open source drivers? I'm pretty sure the drivers included in Mint are the same as Ubuntu. Mint offers additional utilities for Nvidia Optimus users to install and user their laptop's GPU, but that's all that comes to mind.

Saints row IV
Planetary Annihilation: Titans
Kerbal space program
Total War: Warhammer
Crusader Kings 2

I even fixed the screen tearing. Linux gaming is comfortable and patrician.

Kenshi and Factorio

Dragon Quest 11. Totally platinum status. Everything has worked, never had any problems.

Wait, Common Sense 2019 is out already?
I'm still on pic related.

Attached: common sense software.jpg (357x497, 92K)

>mfw Windows users who have never read a line of code think they know more about software than actual developers

Common Sense would be not using an operating system that isn't receiving security updates.

Attached: 1552191777841.gif (430x408, 908K)

This is a surprisingly good game.
I'm interested to see what will happen to it as time goes on and more people adopt Linux.

Im using a 98 and still havent had issues

Super Tux Kart made with Godot Engine when????

me too

>A key feature of Mint is maintaining compatibility with Ubuntu.
I don't know about now but in the past they've changed the names of packages playing havoc with third-party packages built for the rest of the Debian/Ubuntu ecosystem.

>What do you mean about its policies towards the open source drivers?
In the past at least they never updated them, staying on a single release. Ubuntu at least updates their open source drivers on the LTS channel every six months.
I remember too many times when I tried to help Mint users figure out why their games weren't working only to discover their graphics drivers were 4+ years old.

Buttblasted Microshill knows his doom approachs. The day of the penguin is at hand. 2019 is the Year of the Linux Desktop. Even the truck drivers are gaming on Linux.

>Common Sense 2019
Hello, Reddit!

I'm on my Linux partition 99% of the time, I use a W7 partition to play videogames
The problem is that Daz activator does not seem to work for it anymore and now I keep getting the fucking message boxes that even get your focus out of the game window

The "actual developers" have an agenda to get as many people on W10 as possible, and they're going as far as bringing actual malware like GWX back to get it done. They are not your friends, and definitely do not have your best interests in mind.

Not if Windows can't reduce its abysmal input lag.

Attached: 1527802208041.gif (330x166, 2.11M)

>recommending mint
Just use ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a beginner distro.
Mint is a windows replacement for your parents/grandparents distro.

Most game developers that release linux ports design them with ubuntu in mind.

Are you an actual developer? Because I am and you're full of shit. There's as many opinions as there are developers, and many of them are recommending Linux because guess what? Most actual developers already use Linux and know Windows' days are numbered.

Please research the Dunning-Kruger effect before trying to contribute further to the discussion.

Every game that runs on Ubuntu will run on Mint without any additional effort.

If you're going to recommend Ubuntu, don't forget to tell users to forego GNOME3.

>The "actual developers" have an agenda to get as many people on W10 as possible
>everyone is recommending Linux over W10
I'd love to see what you're programming with that logic.

>recommending default Ubuntu with GNOME 3 instead of recommending Ubuntu: Windows GUI Edition

Yes! And because many devs are developing on Linux the games of the future will run on Linux. And we won't have to pay the Microtax every time we want to turn on a computer. And some Anons are unhappy with this state of affairs. It only took me six months and a partial nervous breakdown to transition to Linux, but now I'm here my life is much better.

I thought "actual developers" was referring to Microshit, my bad. Disregard everything, I suck cocks.

That's good because I haven't had my dick sucked in years.

Why? Gnome is a comfy full featured original desktop designed from the ground up for efficient modern workflows. Giving users some culture-shock when they are an a new system is better than pretending to be Windows because it means they won't suffer from uncanny valley effects when something is different.
Microsoft themselves started copying Gnome and KDE several years ago for lack of their own original ideas.

Plus the majority of applications users will want to run like SC Controller use the same libraries as Gnome.

Attached: screenshot4.png (940x555, 93K)

I run stock windows 7 anyway.

>no desktop shortcuts
>no start menu
>no show desktop
>slow as fuck
>memory hog
>shitty file manager
The list goes on, and on, and on. GNOME 3 is trash and it sucks that so many new users are introduced to it first.

Little addendum, GNOME 3 does *look* the best out of every DE out there. The problem is their design choices with regards to *functionality.*

GNOME 3 feels more like it was designed for smartphones than desktops, and I think you'd agree with me.

>what is Gnome Tweaks

But I agree, running Linux gives you option to choose much better DEs than GNOME 3

Artificial Academy 2

>using linux

Attached: 1D16CABD-352A-4C38-9D15-8FC5D340C868.jpg (500x500, 25K)

Dude, I hear you. Gnome tweaks is the only thing that makes GNOME 3 usable. Problem is, it isn't installed by default and new users unfortunately have to find out for themselves and then ask questions like "why wasn't this functionality here already? what else am I going to have to do to add what should already be here?"

I feel like with Linux Mint, the designers clearly had transitioning from Windows in mind. This is why I personally would recommend Mint XFCE over Xubuntu. They both function identically but Mint looks more like Windows out of the box.

>not using linux

Attached: gnu_laugh.png (1200x796, 596K)

>no desktop shortcuts
Ubuntu enables them by default, but really how often do you sit stating at a blank desktop?

>no start menu
Ubuntu positions the application drawer in the bottom left corner, but generally its easier to just bring up the overview and type in the name of the application you want. Start menus really suck when it comes down to it.

>no show desktop
Just go to your auto-created next desktop. Gnome is built around UNIX workflows and heavily integrates and relies on UNIX desktop concepts like additional desktops.

>slow as fuck
Don't buy Nvidia hardware. They don't properly support the Linux graphics stack which leads to slowdowns.

Pretty much all your complaints are outdated, or are based on an unconfigured vanilla version which isn't what Ubuntu ships.

>The two distros I linked to have all the drivers your PC needs. Unlike Devian or others, these include them even if they're propietary..
nvidia drivers are dogshit on linux, both nouveau and the proprietary one

How long have you been saying that the next year would be the year of the linux? 10 years? 20?

Sekiro. It's amazing that a big AAA Windows game runs perfectly on Linux day 1.

390 is what most distributions have available by default.
I'm using 418 from the PPA and it works comparably as well as the Windows driver.
All games have lower latency, and Dota 2 even has higher and more stable framerates.

Not him, but what you're referring to doesn't actually impact when or if something will be adopted.
I think as soon as streamers and pros start using Linux, it's all over.

>Windows' days are numbered
Not quite yet. We're approaching a time when the only software that matters is a browser, though. Thanks, normalfags.

The only thing that sucks and feels like it was made for a phone in Gnome 3 is the application drawer. The upside being that you pretty much only have to use it if you don't know what the program you want is called.

What most people who think Gnome is a phone interface miss in how heavily inspired it is by classic Unix interface concepts and how keyboard orientated it is.

Nice to hear that, I dropped Nvidia cards on 384 I think, or was 394? Can't remember now. Anyway, until those updates, the driver gave the whole OS a shitty latency that even nouveau didn't had, it also fucked up some emulators.

We've been heading towards that day for decades. Microsoft just finally ended their campaign of trying to derail it by intentionally making shitty browsers.

proton is NOT that good unfortunately

I understand you, though. It's unfortunate to have to keep coming back to see the state of affairs in Linux. But I've been using it for years, and many of the pressure points have been alleviated if not outright eliminated.
I don't think it's as accessible as Windows 10 quite yet, but the gap has become stupidly close and it's impossible to ignore the *intrinsic* benefits of Linux over Windows (lower latency, free, no backdoors, etc)

>Windows 7 security updates are stopping
Who cares, I haven't installed any updates in years and it has been fine.

>I don't think it's as accessible as Windows 10 quite yet
That's funny, because I've been using Linux for years, and recently had an opportunity to try out Windows 10 and I'm constantly amazed at how slow, clunky, and terrible its interface is.
I think its still just an issue of whatever you're used to is what you're used to and it takes a little bit of culture shock to lean a new thing. No UNIX desktop is ever going to be a 100% Windows clone.

The main issue people still have when coming to Linux is that they've built their current system to run Windows and that means they miss out on some of the biggest advantages of the Linux ecosystem like open source drivers, and can face some serious headaches with vendors who refuse to do things the proper way like Nvidia.

Windows 10's interface shines whenever it falls back on Windows 7's tools.

/g/entooman reporting, the state of linux GPU drivers is horrible. It's simply not worth it.

Attached: 1524776572931.jpg (640x480, 30K)

FUCK LINUX

Attached: 1548303243363.jpg (640x870, 102K)

Bioshock.
It runs pretty well.

Don't Buy Nvidia. It really is that simple.

I know AMD doesn't have the best performance money can buy, but it really does offer the best user experience on Linux, and the performance is often better with the open drivers than what you get from their official driver on Windows or so close the difference it doesn't matter.

Kernel 5.0 on non-rolling distros when? I want Freesync.

TF2 runs better on Linux actually.

Attached: 1548014271619.jpg (633x540, 99K)

I'm very skeptical about your claim but I have no way to check, since I have Nvidia. The truth is corpos like AMD and Nvidia don't give a fuck about GPU drivers for Linux unless there's something other than games that requires it - e.g. people from HPC using CUDA GPGPU.

I haven't updated in years
literally no downsides

>install manjaro
>Tell it to install proprietary nvidia drivers
>it literally just works
I honestly don't know what the issue is, but maybe I'm just not paying attention

This

It's pretty amazing how much the AMD situation has improved. When I first switched at the Steam Linux beta launch, fglrx would break on xorg updates and not be fixed (officially) for months. Though even with that hassle, the performance versus Nvidia's driver offerings was noticeably better.

Framerate is the issue. Many games will just work with worse framerate than on Windows. If you happened to stumple on one that works well, then you're basically lucky and I'm happy for you. Even CS GO has big difference in framerate comparing Linux and Windows, same machine.

Already switched to Linux full time back in November. Shit is amazing now

Ubuntu 19.04 uses the 5.0 kernel. The beta launches this Thursday

>The truth is corpos like AMD and Nvidia don't give a fuck about GPU drivers for Linux
That's why AMD hardware is so good right now. ITS NOT AMD MAKING THE DRIVERS.

Sure some of the people working on them are now AMD employees, but really all that happened was AMD saw people already making great drivers for their hardware and hired some of them. Others got hired by companies like Red Hat, and Valve who definitely is interested in Linux for gaming.
The Mesa project and the drivers under its banner may get some contributions from AMD employees, but AMD doesn't control the project and the drivers in it share basically no code with Windows.

>security updates
I havent updated my "security(spyware)" in 5 years and its working fine.

CS:GO is still an older port made using ToGL. Valve are still working on upgrading it to Source 2.

Sweet, thanks user, I can just uninstall Gnome3 and use whatever I want right? Xfce and Mate are peak comfy for me.

the only reason to run linux is to tell people you have linux. that shit’s cringe central. join the mac master race if you’re not some dumb virgin and just slap bootcamp in your shit if you really want everyone to know how shit your taste is

Are Nvidia Linux drivers still a burning pile of shit?

MacOS is stuck with an old version of OpenGL (they're removing support in the near future), and it doesn't support the Vulkan standard at all, meaning advanced modern compatibility tools like DXVK are unavailable. Not to forget that Apple's display drivers are still the slowest around, and they won't allow third-party drivers of the sort that exist on Linux.
Its a decent choice if your only use for your computer is to show people how much money you have, but its a piss poor choice for PC gaming especially as we look to 2020 and beyond.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably be using Win7 until the day I die. dualboot at worst.
I've tried Linux but Win7 is the definition of "it just works". all my shit runs fine and I'm not in any hurry to "upgrade" to the latest version which is exactly the same plus a few tweaks.

Multibillion dollar company said think different and now I'm fashionable!

VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE WORKS ON LINUX!

The lack of Ryzen support for Windows 8.1 does make me a bit sad even if there is a work around.

And yes 8.1 is better than 7, its only worse thing is a the very fixable shit interface.

That said I would use Linux and do often, but I hate Blender and my preferred alternative has no Linux version.

Yakuza 0

The publisher of the new one has a very good record on native Linux support as well.

8/8.1 dropped support for a lot of legacy software in favor of "debloating" the overall os but ended up bloating it anyway with unoptimized code and spyware.
and the ui problems go far beyond the lack of a start buttons. only literal retards use 8.1, at this point you might as well go with 10.

>Windows 7 security updates are stopping
I been on windows 7 SP1 since 2009 with no updates and i been 100% fine with little/no problems at all. Little problems came up and i fixed them myself. Let them stop updating i don't give a fuck however even as much as i hate to admit it i can't stay on windows 7 forever. So either i'm going to 10 when games stop being supported in mass or the next pc i build is going to be 10.

What is the workaround for 8.1? Was thinking about trying 8.1 on a spare SSD on my 2600X

You sound like you'd appreciate Linux. You should try running a VirtualBox install of one of the distros people recommend often.

>Be a drawfag
>Linux doesn't support Sai
>Would have to use shitty Krita

No thanks

this thread again? I'm good with ltsc thanks

Krita's not bad...
Though seriously I've been using free stuff for drawing for years and have been fine with it. MyPaint is my go to, though I want to give Krita a good shake.

I haven't felt the need for PS, and while I've heard good things about Sai, I never tried it.

go back to /g/ you huge faggot
>it will run all your games xD
With worse performance, nice!

>This same exact argument from the last thread
What, weren't you tired from IT-user btfo'ing you up and down the thread?

I might actually do it once W7 dies

god damn classic

same, how do you even get viruses lmao

I'm genuinely interested because I certainly won't be using Windows 10.

The sooner you switch the more users there are to persuade devs to go native, or at least test vs Proton.
Increasingly it seems like even if Microsoft doesn't take the step of dropping their compatibility layer, they'll use their Chinese sock puppet to buy exclusives, keep them out of Steam, and off Linux.
Right now we're speeding towards the worst case scenario, and its hard to see how we can avoid another lost decade for the PC platform.

>krita
>shitty
If you don't like it install AzPainter.

You freetards are supporting Lutris,right?

i can't get ubuntu to work on my gtx 1080. some kind of hardware incompatibility.

Ubuntu depending on the age of your installer probably doesn't have the firmware from Nvidia that it needs to have the card working with the built in open source driver.
You'll have to install with the built-in graphics or Vesa mode (if that even works properly) until you can get the Nvidia binary driver installed.

This is why I tell people to go AMD. Built in drivers that just work.

only the open source ones

I had a radeon 4850 from 2009 to last christmas and dual booted ubuntu. installed dozens of times and never had any problems until i got my gtx.

>It only took me six months and a partial nervous breakdown to transition
apt words to sum up this entire affair. Transition is a really fitting word.

Fuck Proton we want native Linux support. Anything less is surrender.

Its somewhat in a grey zone for me now. Microsoft has abandoned the win32 space, so it seems ok that we're working on preserving the vast library of games made with it.

Its just disappointing that more devs still haven't gotten on board with using Vulkan. That's really the only bright spot of Google's Stadia service, it may finally start pushing devs out of the D3D ecosystem.

Not like that. Linux is a very macho operating system for manly men with deep voices and big balls, like me.