Hey Yea Forums, not sure how well this thread will do but can we talk about artsy/experimental/weird games...

hey Yea Forums, not sure how well this thread will do but can we talk about artsy/experimental/weird games? Something thats a little bit different than the majority of shit out there. Something with some sort of artistic merit.
I get so tired of the same skinner box formulas, and rehashed reused game design tropes. I honestly fucking hate 95% of games, but there are still loads of good interesting ones out there

Im on an old mac book for the time being, so really the only shit I can play is retro emulated stuff. But here are some things I dived into recently
tail of the sun - a ps1 openworld exploration cave man simulator. You are given very little information and pretty much have to make goals, purpose, and infer about the mechanics by yourself until you stumble upon what any of the game actually means. Secrets and easter eggs are scattered across the world, so its very fun to explore. Would recommend, but you have to be prepared to give it a bit of time. You wont see anything the game has to offer in your first hour or so.

katamari - everyone probably knows this game. very toylike, very fun

saga frontier - I couldnt get into it. Its supposed to be a non linear jrpg with experimental battle mechanics.

Doshin the giant - early god simulator game. You play as a derpy giant that can terraform this island with his own hands, use this ability to interact with the villagers on the island. Its aight, but you move so fucking slow and the core gameplay loop is repetitive

cosmology of kyoto - Reminds me of a bizzare choose your own adventure. Its a very open game about being a wanderer and going through a medieval kyoto over run with demons. Lacks a real plot or goal, but the mechanics of the game allow you to easily create your own and essentially create your own adventures and stories.

looking to play everything by Love-de-Lic soon. Then chulip and chibi-robo

Attached: 1548356595080.png (677x677, 578K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TgNUgeEryCM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nah

big bang mini for NDS

no fucking way! Ive been trying to remember the name for that game for years now

it played it when I was a kid and loved it

tldr

it's one of my favorites of all time, went back and played it again recently and it's just as much fun as you remember.
I thought of some more experimental games op
patapon and locoroco for PSP.
hohokum for vita/ps3/ps4

yea your right. I kinda went overboard.
Just post and talk about games that are weird bruh
I got a couple listed if youve played anyone of them

good to hear it holds up well, i gotta give it a go again soon
I never owned a PSP back in the day, but I remember hearing about those. I had a friend that would always rave about locoroco
echochrome on psp too.

zineth
gaball screen
cubivore
yume 2kki

damn, I think im pretty well researched into the experimental game scene, but I have not heard of gabal screen before. thanks

zineth is sick, and everything else by the same team. In general free games have a lot more experimentation and gameplay risks than what you find in most indies or AAA.
Itch.io is a great place to get some weird games

i never could get into yume nikki. I always get bored trying to find anything cool, and the creepy setting seems a little tryhard to me.

for another exploration horror game, check out yomawari. both of them are good.

ill check it bruh

Take a look at Hylics
youtu.be/TgNUgeEryCM

Attached: 0503AA7E-2033-4DCE-89CE-B02C7D482E1F.jpg (434x368, 57K)

Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never start a thread with a picture more interesting than your post!"

Attached: 1530705609063.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Doritos

LSD Dream Emulator for PS1

yea ive tried em both!
the art style in hylics is awesome, Im really excited for #2

whatd yall think of em?

>tail of the sun - a ps1 openworld exploration cave man simulator
What the fuck man? I saw the cover and assumed it was some kind of JRPG

I'll kick in a couple. Space Griffon VF-9, the plot heavy survival horror mech sim FPS dungeon crawlish game, fully voiced and there's a shit ton of dialogue, a lot of it optional. If you like old anime OVAs you'll probably like this

Fantasy Empires, TBS game probably based on D&D, battles have you jumping into it top down controlling a unit, starting from any heroes there but I think there's a chain and you eventually control mooks if that's all you're left with. Cast spells and your interface wizard guy attacks the map, earthquakes are hilarious

Stronghold, also DOS. D&D city sim in the wilderness, make a town of varying races and classes then send the populace out to attack monster dens to level up and shit

Attached: 1533036961472.jpg (474x355, 38K)

That’s a big bag of chips

for you

Attached: 1537213063782.jpg (720x480, 197K)

minusichi

Attached: minusichi.png (640x480, 16K)

giftpia is kinda weird

Scizophrenia simulator has been the spookiest horror game i have seen in a long while,it's pretty unique

Attached: HWmoVB (1).jpg (1920x1500, 232K)

Cheers friend, hadn't seen this post in at least a year

Attached: 1524991738071.jpg (331x473, 26K)

>looking to play everything by Love-de-Lic soon. Then chulip and chibi-robo
Chulip is quite a chill game, I'd recommend you play it before the others.

If you want new recommendations, Live a Live, Jade Coccoon and Jade Cocoon 2.

What was that PS1 racing/action game with live action cutscenes, that had people ripping the piss out of it MST3K style? I wanted to rec it to OP then realised I couldn't remember the name

Attached: 1537750702554.jpg (433x380, 26K)

Found it, it's offworld interceptor
Thanks for the help you cunts

Attached: 79437-off-world-interceptor-3do-front-cover.jpg (800x1506, 281K)

How old is this woman?