Guys, can we all agree that Sekiro isn't a Soulsborne/Soul-like/Souls game now

Don't vote unless you've played Sekiro and have played at least one previous Soulsborne title.
Don't be one of those ''haven't played the game but they kinda looked the same'' people.

Come on guys, the game is in our hands now.
It's very clear that this is not a Souls type game, it does not belong to the Souls sub-genre.

Yes there are similarities, most items functions the same and checkpoint systems works the same way, but that doesn't make it a Souls-like.
The very fundamental of combat is wildly different, the way you traverse through the level is wildly different, the way you approach enemies and the mentality is wildly different.

This is how I would describe Sekiro:
It's an action stealth adventure game with unique RPG elements and some Soulsborne DNA, but it is very different to Soulsborne.

Attached: 161706b2-010e-40bc-8c41-842f14506d47.jpg?n=Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice_GLP-Page-Hero-1084_1920x835_02.j (1920x835, 318K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A_3dUZaSlDs
youtu.be/89vi-Px2bFs?t=46
youtu.be/4DoOEm3gCwE?t=87
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>n-no it isn't souls like just a little bit souls like but not souls like
why do you care anyway

It's an open world action game

It's literally a souls game with a shitty grappling hook system, janky wall hanging/hugging and a tweaked combat system.

It's souls through and through, right down to it's fucked hit boxes and vacuuming bullshit enemies.

I haven't played Sekiro but I can't believe how surprised people are at this. ACTIVISION was part of it. It is FROM's attempt at expanding their business to become more all-reaching. It is in turn an Activision attempt to be associated with quality.

I haven't played it, but it just seems like a bastard child to me.

It's Dark Souls mixed with Shadow Warrior (2013)

>shitty grappling hook system, janky wall hanging/hugging
I've literally never had a problem with either of those things. Sounds like you're an idiot who fails to press square at the right time on a ledge

It was never meant to be Soulsborne. That was the whole point of 'moving away' from that formula. Retard.

You don't have a problem with being treated like a baby who needs a giant fucking icon to let them know what they can and can't interact with?

Imagine my shock.

true they should have a free aim where you stop dead in the middle of combat and aim it wherever, that would would really work well with the game's flow. it was one of the best things about the original tenchu

I'm being sarcastic by the way

How the fuck would you do the grappling otherwise you dumb fuck? It only works on certain points.

Sarcastic, and retarded.

But that's just part and parcel of the special little snow flake you are I suppose if your shriveled little brainlet mind can't comprehend grappling hook systems other than those developed 20 years ago and the drivel in Sekiro.

Because those are the only option, right?

It's a shitty Souls game, sculptor's idols are literally bonfires

no it is a souls game. now you need to call your retarded genre soulsbornkiro. fucking idiot.

Attached: 1507546641650.jpg (800x450, 42K)

explain a system that would be better, that could realistically be implemented

What is Super Metroid

It's a 3D game m8

>From: hi guys we are making a game thats not a Souls game
>Yea Forums: can we agree its not a Souls game

??????

Attached: 1553078603963.gif (128x74, 25K)

You need to limit the grapple or you have to design every fucking area to be indoors and closed off. How are you this dumb about game design?

That would suck shit lmfao

It's like a ninja stealth overhaul mod for Dark Souls 3. It's different but its still a souls game

it's got a different combat system, other than that it's a 100% by the numbers souls game

So senpou temple is where I need to go after I speak to isshin right? Or should I go through the depths before I go to the senior temple?

They said right from the start it wasn't a Souls game yet you fucking faggots kept acting like it was otherwise. It's almost like they're a video game company that makes different kinds of games and has been doing so for decades.

Are you Souls cunts mentally challenged? You not only don't understand this simple concept but I also see you whining every time a game doesn't have the exact mechanics you're used to and the fact it's a different game, like fucking cavemen banging rocks together.

It has some DNA from their design like the bonfires and shit, but it's not a "Souls" game, get over it you silly weebs.

Now its a Nioh-like, which itself was a failed soulslike.

Just explore breh. Not knowing what to do because you're a brainlet is literally the best part of these games.

>block or parry anything
>never press a dodge button
>unless you see a red thing above your head
Just beat an old lady. Should i just drop this boring game or it gets better?

Attached: 1509094148849.jpg (1920x1200, 1.62M)

that's it, that's the whole game
parry everything and play Simon says in kanji

This.
The gameplay loop is boring. I prefer the old Souls standard of mash roll

>I prefer the old Souls standard of mash roll
I don't. Souls games are just as boring.

guys can we all agree I like it up the arse?

No. Every game must be compared to Souls games.

Let me stick my curry cock in your arse

I wasn't convinced it wasn't souls before launch. Now that i have played the game it definitely isn't souls.

this , even has a soulslike intro ripped outta ds1

souls games have the RPG aspect, action RPGs.
Sekiro doesn't, its an action adventure game.

i'm not a fan of third person action games so i don't really like either but i prefer Souls because i like the RPG aspects of building a character.

You aren't allowed to criticise any hard games on Yea Forums, otherwise you naturally suck at them and should gut gud.

Poor FromSoft, they will NEVER EVER be able to move on from being the "Dark Souls" company. This is the developer equivalent to being typecasted. Everything they ever make will from now on forever be compared to Dark Souls.

It keeps a number of Souls game motifs - fire maiden, estus, death and rebirth, challenging difficulty, etc. but if you get into it looking for Dark Souls 4, you're going to be disappointed.

It plays very differently and lacks a lot of the core things that gave Souls games great replayability - online multiplayer, build variety, original character creation, covenants, a proper stat system.

The aesthetic and atmosphere are great. I like the story too. Still, I'm not sure I will bother with NG+ given how shallow it is in other respects.

Attached: 1553001270735.jpg (1075x1243, 171K)

It's soulsborne, deal with it.

Literally a souls game, they just made parrying a main feature.

You are correct actually, considering how it has none of the Souls influences like upgrades and so on means that it isn't like the other titles.

Which also means it's shit.

I doubt Activision had much, if anything to do with the development of the game. They had more to do with the marketing outside of Japan and maybe translation/localization. They didn't even publish the game in Japan.

It's a Soulsbourne with stealth elements.

I don't really care about its classification.

At the end of the day it's a Miyazaki game that I enjoy quite a bit less than previous Miyazaki games such as Dark Souls or Bloodborne. It is inferior to those in pretty much every way including gameplay in my opinion and feels like it was made by the C team with no passion and attention to detail.

Attached: dog-in-tux.jpg (550x649, 29K)

>It's a Soulsbourne with stealth elements.
you sure?
>can't roll spam your way out of danger
>no stats to increase damage or health, you actually have to defeat mini bosses and bosses to increase those
>the game encourages you not to fight multiple enemies. you're a shinobi, not a magical knight or super hunter
They changed a lot in the combat and rpg mechanic. If you go in expecting dark souls/bloodborne, you're gonna die.
The only thing similar would be the budda statues that act as bonfires, but that's about it.

Literally Retarded: The Post
Now in a thread near you.

I just hope their next game is proper, good Souls again.
Don't want any more of Sekiro.

its like a bad attempt at making a more action-focused tenchu game

It basically is, it's watered down for sure.
But definitely a souls game

lol fuck off
i hope this kills their fucking obession with these trash games and brings them back to armored core

It is literally watered down souls, with none of the replayability

The OP is not the one who needs convincing and the last remark. It's the people here who are convinced otherwise.

I mean it wouldn't be the case if they didn't make a souls clone with no weapon/stat options

No one wants mecha games anymore you boomer nerd

Literally no one wants souls games lol, this piece of shit is the final nail in this coffin full of garbage. At least now sonyfags can't pretend that bloodborne is good, considering how fucking bad all the other games in this 'genre' are.

>Can't roll
Replaced with party
>No states
There is but they used excuse (not souls game) to be lazy
>Game encourages you not to fight multiple enemies
Jeez this part is a fucking head scratcher
Enemy layout and some fights are striaght up set up with it implied to fight all of them.
But instead your forced to cheese the encounter by (stealth kill/run hide/repeat) don't make stealth kills alert enemies at all if this was a intended win state

A piece of casual shit is what it is

But Sekiro isn't a Soulsborne?
And Bloodborne is god tier while Sekiro is meh tier

It has all the hallmarks of a souls game, its unpolished, janky, has clunky movement, combat has very little feedback, the interface sucks, fucking fog walls, boss arenas and boring dialogue.
All its missing is all of the stuff that makes souls actually somewhat interesting, that doesn't change the fact its just a stripped down souls game with a tenchu skin.

>unique RPG elements
no.

>Replaced with parry
very different than rolling
>There is but they used excuse (not souls game) to be lazy
how ? you can't level up strength, stamina, health etc, (like in souls/borne) because they removed that. The skills set is vastly different than the stat increase in souls. Aside from new moves and active skills, your damage and hp remain the same (till you kill minibosses for those necklaces) It actually forces you to beat those minibosses if you want to gain more hp and posture. In soulsborne, you'd just farm souls/blood and simply level up hp.

nah has too many elements for it not to be considering a souls like game

maybe just call it souls-lite

I agree with that.
Now we just need From to make true Soulskino again instead of trying to do something new.

They struck gold once. Stick to it.

The test to see if Sekiro is a Soulslike is to ask "if FromSoftware didn't e
develop it would I still call it a Soulslike?" I think people might be biased and just want to call it a Soulslike just because of who developed it.

It's a Soulsborneiro

I haven't played it, but I've played every other soulslike game and I don't see how it stands out.

They succeeded at this 'genre' once with demon's souls, the rest has been awful rehashes where they just make it worse every consecutive game. Meanwhile, since making that game, they've made 2 good armored core games with an unfortunate multiplayer focus. Meaning that the only decent games they've made since souls are armored core.

I agreed on this when it was announced

Disagree. Dark Souls and Bloodborne are the peak of it so far.

Tenchu is mission based where as Sekiro is much more open. The grappling hook functioning differently makes sense.

Ogre is stupid. Is there an attack that guarantee does damage or am I bound to chip away while enduring his bullshit because at this pace I dont think i will see the end of the game anytime soon

>completely single player
>set protagonist
>completely different flow to combat
>much more focus on verticality and movement (literally the opposite of soulsborne where you're very much grounded)
>stealth system
It really doesn't feel much like Soulsborne at all

Did you get the flamethrower attachment for the prosthetic?

No, is it in the past?

Yeah

why are you copying threads from resetera

I completely disagree. it looks like someone trying to ride the formula like lords of the fallen did. none of the stuff you mentioned actually changes the core mechanics. like I said though, I'm going off of purely gameplay trailers/reveals and previous games played, and I know playing can be radically different from how it looks just watching a video. I'm just saying I'm not seeing it. I'll still probably pick it up down the line though.

Eh, estus flasks that refill once youre at a checkpoint denoted with a flame.
Enemies that respawn once you rest at said flaming checkpoint.
Death loses you your shit (though you cant get it back now), and dying too much will fuck things up.
Resurrection option is different, but means that death and where/how you die is something you can learn from (like ghosts / phantoms in Souls games).
Deadly-as-fuck combat, where movement positioning and skillfully mashing that fucking parry button are rewarded, whilst wailing like a retard isnt.

It's got similarities, and it's certainly got elements of the Souls games.
'Souls-type' maybe not, but it's definitely acousin.

are you kidding me?
Sekiro is exactly like Dark souls it even uses same engine as Demon's Souls

it's souls-light

fuq

SAY IT ISNT SO Yea Forums
I wanted this game to be the new Ninja Gaiden 2/Ninja Gaiden Black for the ps4,but from what i have read its nothing like those 2 master pieces.

I hear its difficulty is more from the fact that it an unpolished game, than it i from good game design like Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360.
Is it also just one big hub world in stead of different levels and areas?
Also hear that the parry system is super spammable and requires not getting good

im not happy reading about things like this in Seikiro.
Sounds like dark souls 2 king of bullshit.
Had it been more demon souls then id be much more forgiving,but all that janky bullshti in DS 2 is such a turn off

Damn I didn’t know they let retards buy video games

It's more like Souls than I expected given what they had shown off before launch, but it's still a LOT less like it than Bloodborne was.

It ain't soulsborne. It's a 80% souls 20% tenchu garbage from lazy nips who haven't even tested it. Enjoy ur beta testing, faglets.

Attached: 1543608689809.jpg (400x400, 93K)

It's not that different from souls games at all though. They took out most of the RPG elements, and replaced it with a grappling hook and a jump button. It's a souls game with a fixed protagonist.

the only thing activision gave advice on is the tutorial prompts

I wouldn't classify Sekiro as a Souls-lite.

I'd go with Souls-shite
Cause it's a bad game lol

epic

What is Bionic Commando
What is Titanfall
What is Attack on Titan
What is Attack on Titan FANGAME released in 2013

youtube.com/watch?v=A_3dUZaSlDs
youtu.be/89vi-Px2bFs?t=46
youtu.be/4DoOEm3gCwE?t=87

Fromsoft confirmed for still technological incapable than a single developer and over decade old games.

>estus flasks
>bonfires
>enemies resetting
>multiphase boss fights with loud music
>90% of sounds ripped from souls games
>20% of animations ripped from souls games
>bloodborne engine
>world tendency
>literally Iosefka's clinic quest rehashed coupled with backstage passage that loops back into the clinic to go inside and see what happened at the end
>good ending locked behind obscure item placements and vague npcs dialogue

"it's not souls" ok lmao

Attached: gg.png (1280x966, 286K)

This. From Software is incapable of doing anything else nowadays. It's Souls with a grappling hook instead of dodge rolls lol. Even looks like it.

How retared are you people?

I wish it wasn't but it is. They should have made a proper stealth-action game instead, but they can't let go of the past and both the combat and stealth suffers for it. It's variations on a theme. That theme being Souls.

>unique RPG elements
I'm gonna say this every time I see a game with skilltrees you put points in. "Very unique system".

>it's souls except with platforming
>and also a stealth game
>and also not an action rpg at all

Attached: taunt_cancel_into_raging_demon.gif (467x347, 487K)

>>literally Iosefka's clinic quest rehashed coupled with backstage passage that loops back into the clinic to go inside and see what happened at the end

Which quest is that in Sekiro?

Can someone spoonfeed me a means to find the crack? I'm a noob at pirating.

it really doesnt play like souls

There is no fucking platforming, in fact Souls had more fucking paltforming that Sekiro. Grappling between nodes and jumping on walls and roofs with fucky collision boxes is not platforming.
Souls had backstabs, no different to Sekiro, AI is literally no different.

So things that 90% of games have and a bunch of superficial shit that doesn't matter means that its Souls 4?

Attached: 1519805561898.jpg (469x407, 46K)

How do I get gud at parrying?

wow nice generalization from somebody who totally played the game

yea but at least i can be boring with different weapons. havin the same one and only R1 for the whole game... the offensive options as a whole seem lackluster.

Iam pretty sure if they opted for a racing game it would be very hard to make a souls like game but given they went for a souls like game it isnt that far fetched that souls like game is what came out.

Armored Core, dummy. They made a few of those between Souls and no one compared them (mostly because no one cared but also because they're different).

BB took the solidnes of souls and build its gameplay and content around it.

SKR took the jankines and did the same.

IF you enjoyed beating DS1 through farming and upgrading. DS2 and 3 are for you.
IF you enjoeyd beating DS1 through persistance, BB is the game for you.
IF you were having fun clutching and cheesing DS1 then SKR is for you my frend.

That is not to say, you cant apply any of the philosophies to any of the titles. Just pointing out what they are most suited for.

I enjoyed all soulsborne games (esp. DS1 and BB). Sekiro is the first one i feel kinda meh about. Just doesn't do it for me.

>'move away' from previous games
>make the exact same game

oh

>OH NO NO NO

the guy in the dungeon asking you to send people to them

at this point, from could make the adventures of cookie & cream 2 and asspained soulsfags would still find an excuse to call it "a watered-down souls clone."

Tips on beating purple-draped quick faggots?

It’s not really souls like at all outside of the developer’s being the same
It’s just more like a stealth action game than a Souls game where enemy placement and shit is the whole appeal even when the core mechanics are kind of standard

sekiro plays like dark souls in the same way Postal 2 plays like unreal tournament. using practically the same engine, its not gonna "feel" all that different. but it plays nothing like souls

soulsborne?
soulsbornekiro?
no
this is MIYAZAKI

>he hasnt been countering the kanji

>I hear its difficulty is more from the fact that it an unpolished game, than it i from good game design like Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360.
This is an excuse people use for eating shit.
>Is it also just one big hub world in stead of different levels and areas?
These people havent gotten past the first (admitedly huge) stage
>Also hear that the parry system is super spammable and requires not getting good
With faster enemies that dont mix up as much with perilous attacks, yes its possible to spam. But first of all,spamming parry also makes you lose a load of posture and second of all, the enemies you actually can spam are ez shitters anyway. if you need to cheese these enemies, youre fucked.

Don't get too greedy, and tap L1 but keep in mind your posture and disengage when it's about to break.

Okay so i just discovered something
If you pull minibosses out of their "supposed area" for example the spear guy that you find when at the entrance of the reservoir, if you manage to get this guy through the door from which you came, the AI will literally freak out and the guy will just stand there dioing nothing, making it a literal free kill.

git gud, seriously.
Speaking of pruple guy, i killed the second one in the well, before i could see that there was a prompt to talk to him, and the black guy outside the well disappeared after i went to the abandonned dungeon, the fuck happened?

its more of a character action game right?

imagine dark souls but no shields and no builds

that's what it is, for better or worse

>imagine dark souls but no shields
You do get a shield.
>and no builds
Your build is made up of prosthetic, techs and ninjutsu.

It’s a shitty souls game much like ds2.

>Jumping, Grappling, Wall jumps, Stealth, Climbing, and stance breaking have always been a staple of the souls games!

I’ve posted in every thread so far about how souls-like it is and people still want to argue. You know how racing games have different names but same basic play style? Why is it so hard to grasp with this game that it’s a fucking souls game through and through? You’re in denial trying to justify 60 dollars on bullshit.

THERE ARE FUCKING ZOMBIES? WHAT

you haven't seen shit yet

A literal copy and paste resetera thread.

>Long-Arm Centipede Giraffe
It's just some dude
It's so weird, the game kinda randomly goes apeshit with the weirdness, then you're back to stabbing dudes in hats

I prefer Nioh honestly

>Long-Arm Centipede Giraffe
>Literally just an oversixed random mook with two glorified QTE attacks
Don't know why they even bothered with this, there's too much copypasting in this game and too many shitty enemies.

Attached: 1543072602515.gif (498x280, 2.23M)

>Some guy working down there gives me a bloody sheet
>One ninja young and hot
>Unharmed
I don't like this place. I wanna go back outside and fight more spear chuckers.

It's not but its obvious it has a similar heritage (awful animations and easily getting stuck in geometry)

HOW DO YOU BEAT THE FUCKING BULL

HE DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT MY FIRECRACKERS HALF THE TIME

Attached: 1487926932363.png (600x566, 519K)

dude but all those examples look like shit. and janky as fuck. i would dispise them in this sort of game

>cop pasting topics from resetera
Why?

Its a fromsoft game that plays very similar to dark souls but its not a Souls genre game. Look at every defying feature of the genre if we go by the "soulslike" genre. When compared to dark souls sekiro seems similar, when you compare against things like nioh, and the surge its completely different.

I dunno, I've seen a fake Bloodborne cart racer image floating around. It would almost certainly be a high selling game just for the memes, curiosity, and overall weirdness.

HOW DO I BEAT THE GIANT APE PLASE

>he's playing in English.

Attached: 1 (2).png (200x200, 53K)

The only thing on that list that even 50% of games have is respawning ememies